Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
Service Dog

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman wrote: Glad to see you making full use out of Wikipedia, getting your feet wet, defending the site even - will make a True Believer out of you yet ...
You posted that same link here repeatedly. As far back as February 21, 2016.

You did.

Not the girl-in-college who wrote the 'How Accurate is Wikipedia?' blog post, back in 2011.
Not the authors of the 2005 study published in Nature, comparing Wikipedia to Britannica.
Not Wikipedia.

You're the one who was still posting it here, in 2021.
So it reflects poorly on you-- not those other entities-- if you continue to cite that same link as current data.

Think of that 2005 link like a woman-- who reached menopause in 2011-- and is lost to Alzheimers, in the era of Social Justice.

____

Regarding Dr. Malone, inventor of mRNA vaccines: You should read this open letter from his wife & business partner, which is prominently-available at the link to Malone's website, which you previously posted:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... ne2021.pdf

She tells the story of Malone's early career. Even if one put-aside the truth of it as significant-- as when reading a John Grisham fiction novel-- it is compelling as-a-story. It has the ring of truth-- in that it gives the reader an insider-view into the real-world collision of scientific discovery and cut-throat profit.

At the very-least, it's clear that-- circa year 2000-- Dr. Malone and his wife started a company. Which invents mRNA vaccines. They hold the patents for those mRNA vaccines. In that sense, Dr. Malone is clearly an inventor of mRNA vaccines.

Even Dr. Topol credits someone as the inventor of the recent mRNA vaccines-- the Pfizer and Moderna jabs. "mRNA vaccine inventor" is a category at the individual-patent holder level. But not exclusively so. 'mRNA vaccine inventor' also describes the inventor at the broad-category level. And Dr. Malone's claim to that title has been presented amply in his wife's letter.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Steersman wrote:
screwtape wrote: And the only people it gets passed onto who will suffer are the unvaccinated, which is why I pointed out that letting everyone else take any risk with a vaccine while you enjoy the benefits (as free-riding anti-vaxxers do with measles etc) isn't going to be a good strategy in this case. Maybe it's fine for a libertarian to say it's their choice and they'll take their chances, but they may in turn pass the disease on to those for whom vaccination is ineffective or not being performed - the elderly, children and the immunosuppressed. Sometimes we do things for others, not just for ourselves. A concept, like wearing a mask for the benefit of others, that seems to be beyond some people's comprehension.
Again, seems a bit moot on the "who will suffer are the unvaccinated". That some 61% of those vaccinated would seem to be in the same boat as the vaccinated, at least as far as their exposure to the Delta variant goes, means that 61% of vaccinated are just as susceptible to it as the unvaccinated. And may well suffer as much.

Still, a bit tricky to keep track of all the permutations and combinations.
The 61% of the vaccinated who can catch the delta variant are most unlikely to suffer much from it. They have excellent protection against severe illness and death. That's why it will be the unvaccinated (or the unsuccessfully vaccinated) who suffer.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: <snip>
Mask are useless. People wear them partly as talismans, but mostly now to virtue signal. The fact that some people aren't selfish, but rather blessed with common sense, seems beyond your comprehension.
Define "useless".
use•less yoo͞s′lĭs
adj. Being or having no beneficial use; ineffective: synonym: futile.
adj. Having no purpose or reason; pointless; to no avail.

As I mentioned before, the evidence is pretty solid that masks reduce the dispersion of our exhalations. Hence, likely to contribute somewhat to reducing the spread of the virus. Fairly stark illustration of that effect here in an oldish Forbes article:
What evidence? Some dickweed in Forbes parroting inanities?

- 15 RCTs on mask use, 13 found they were useless, 2 found cloth masks increased transmission;
- Zero correlation between mask mandates and infection rates;
- Viruses are much tinier than the holes in masks;
- If you can smell smoke or dogfarts through a mask, viruses are getting through, too;
- If air is getting around the sides of the mask, it's useless;
- If the mask becomes laden with moisture, as they all do within twenty minute, it's useless;

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

LOL, the video of my county's 'public' health update has been made private.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Service Dog wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:33 am
Don't trust. Not even a little. Functional Medicine sounds a little quacky. Delivery is thousand miles an hour. Suspect narcissistic blowhard.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Don't trust. Not even a little. Functional Medicine sounds a little quacky. Delivery is thousand miles an hour. Suspect narcissistic blowhard.
The specific reason I posted it-- was his reference to 'animal reservoirs'. He says we can take whatever measures we want on humans-- jabshots, masks, passports, quarantine-- but if that disease also inhabits a population animals-- then we won't eradicate it.

I saw a grim parallel between that claim-- and screwtape. Screwtape merely replaces 'animals' with all the unvaccinated humans-- in all the far-flung corners of the world-- the ones screwtape so spitefully wishes to see ravaged with disease.

This guy is saying-- the disease will hide-out there/ and come-back later.
____

Beyond that-- I think your concern about 'Functional Medicine' :animals-duckie: is valid. I'm less concerned about his fast-talking, because those public hearings often limit speakers' time to 5 minutes or less.

Actually-- that reminds me of something a fast-talking, narcissistic, kook (with self-serving ulterior motives) recently-said.

It was Peter Schiff defending himself against the 'reputable' voices on Wall Street and financial-television-news. Schiff said [paraphrase] "those-respectable-guys treat everything the politicians and Federal Reserve officials say-- as authoritative and true. And so none of them will EVER deviate from conventional wisdom, to give you early-warning when the system breaks and crashes. They fault me for too-often predicting doom&gloom. But they NEVER do."

In that spirit-- I think a 'functional medicine' quack is (sometimes) capable of identifying the flaws in the Medical Establishments's armor/ even tho his own armor is full of holes. And his already-marginalized status might frees him to tell ugly truths about the Establishment-- with less personal consequences. Truths which people Inside the the Establishment aren't free to say.

And (sometimes) quacks are just worthless.
____

Here are my quick notes on his actual claims. He seems to color mostly 'inside the lines'.

-3 NIH studies say masks don't work
-viruses are around all year long, waiting for opportunity (dormant in summer/active in winter)
-the response to Covid has made the virus 'deranged' <--[i don't know what that means]
-you can't eradicate a disease with 'animal reservoirs' by only acting on humans
-why are we taking drastic measures for Covid that we don't take for Common Cold, etc.?
-a breakout in the middle of summer is unusual for respiratory virus
-"Antibody Mediated Enhancement" (ADE) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibody- ... nhancement
-75% of symptomatic outbreak in Barnstable, Massachusetts were Vax'd
-so there's no reason to treat the Vax'd & Un-Vax'd differently in policy (mask mandates, apartheid)
-Vaccines don't treat infection (if you're already sick with the virus). Example: a Mumps outbreak among the MumpsVax'd.
-Infected people shed pathogens. (in their breath)
-following CDC guidance won't work, you'll be fighting Cov 'the rest of your life'
-other treatments are available. Ivermectin. Hydroxychloraquine + Zinc & Vit. D
-those reduce risk of death to 1/4
-If you're going discriminate in favor of Vax, then include those with natural antibodies & those who use Ivermectin etc.
-evidence says no reduction of symptoms or hospitalization among Vax'd, in fact 2x to 4x more side-effects

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote: I wish to reflect on those few joys extricable from the fires of modern life.
:) I can sympathize. In case y'all missed it, a classic story from Zen Buddhism - other cultures often do have some worthwhile contributions to the common wealth ... ;)
Once upon a time, as a man was walking through a forest, he saw a tiger peering out at him from the underbrush. As the man turned to run, he heard the tiger spring after him to give chase.

Barely ahead of the tiger, running for his life, our hero came to the edge of a steep cliff. Clinging onto a strong vine, the man climbed over the cliff edge just as the tiger was about to pounce.

Hanging over the side of the cliff, with the hungry tiger pacing above him, the man looked down and was dismayed to see another tiger, stalking the ravine far below. Just then, a tiny mouse darted out from a crack in the cliff face above him and began to gnaw at the vine.

At that precise moment, the man noticed a patch of wild strawberries growing from a clump of earth near where he dangled. Reaching out, he plucked one. It was plump, and perfectly ripe; warmed by the sunshine.

He popped the strawberry into his mouth. It was perfectly delicious. The End.

Interesting and useful story - reminds me of a blog that Service Dog seems fond of linking - I should probably tally how often he has done so and over what time frame ... ;) , reminds me that the blogger at Zero Hedge notes that, "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero."

But that and the Zen story betray or suggest something of an overly fatalistic outlook on life. No doubt, there's some limit to our abilities to determine or affect the future - some limits to our free will - but within those constraints I think we all have something of an obligation, or at least one that would be wise to undertake:

Quotes_Burke_TriumphOfEvil.jpg
(104.4 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Brive1987 wrote: Tough when our working suburbs are a cross between Mogadishu and Kandahar while our garden enclaves provide upmarket dachas for our new Chinese Uber-class.
:) Sympathize with that too - a rather ubiquitous sign of the times. But the former - Mogadishu and Kandahar - underlines that Islam is particularly fatalistic - Inshallah, "nothing happens unless God wills it and that his will supersedes all human will" (Wikipedia for those keeping track ...) - and that gives some justification to close the borders to Muslim immigration. Of maybe some related interest is some observations and testimony to Canada's Parliament by something of a secular or at least more or less rational Muslim, one Salim Mansur (Professor of Political Science, University of Western Ontario) - courtesy, if I'm not mistaken, of Andrew, the Pit's resident Muslim - full-blown, adjacent, secular, or fellow-traveler:

https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewe ... nt-7696927

Mansur_HoC_Islam_Immigration.jpg
(138.55 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewe ... nt-7696927

Crux of the matter is that, as Anthony Flew said in his review of Ibn Warraq's, Why I'm Not a Muslim:
... Islam is flatly incompatible with the establishment and maintenance of the equal individual rights and liberties of a liberal, democratic, secular state.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160529034 ... /chiv3.htm

Think we would be wise to take those observations on board and give some serious thought to them and their consequences.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman wrote: "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate of everyone drops to zero."
― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

John D

Post by John D »

Fake news dog. Where did you get this data? How was it collected. Did you just post a bunch of shit? Don't get me wrong. I am listening to this discussion, but this data smells fake to me.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

It's a meme.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

This is not a meme:

"The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a Ph.D.); by May Ph.D.’s were the most hesitant group."

https://www.upmc.com/media/news/072621- ... -hesitancy

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: It's a meme.
Damn. Polluting my brain.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote:
Service Dog wrote: It's a meme.
Damn. Polluting my brain.
Trust the Science.

The top graph in the meme is the "Panel B" on Page 27 of the actual paper, available here:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.full.pdf

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: I'm less concerned about his fast-talking, because those public hearings often limit speakers' time to 5 minutes or less.
Ben Shapiro could've done it in under two.

-75% of symptomatic outbreak in Barnstable, Massachusetts were Vax'd
LOL. Barnstable is a town, but Barnstable County is all of Cape Cod. The outbreak occurred in Provincetown, a gay haven since forever. At a Bear Fest, so approx. everyone was obese. [and very hairy, but hirsutism is not a comorbitity AFAIK].

If we were talking in person, I'd have made a 'we can do it' gesture with my left arm, pointed to a spot on my bicep for Barnstable, then the tip of my thumb for P-Town. Which is what everyone on the Cape uses for a map.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: [on nine different subjects all in one post]
You should break your stuff up into shorter posts.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Like I do.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Barnstable ... Cape Cod. ... P-town
Yeah, now that I'm a fishmonger-- my social circle has shifted toward those places. It's cool-- if I say which vessel I sell-for, dock-centric people react-like, "Oh! Ok!"
And they act-like my family was around for generations. (It's been 9 or 10 weeks. And I know almost-nothing about sea fishing.)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: [on nine different subjects all in one post]
You should break your stuff up into shorter posts.
Couple of paragraphs and JPG quotes for each of Brive's two points; looks more detailed than it really was.

One might suggest that Service Dog is a better target for that advice of yours ...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Like I do.
Yeah. But you often repeat yourself. Though you're at least consistent as I seem to recollect that that's a standard modus operandi for you ... ;)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: <snip>
Mask are useless. People wear them partly as talismans, but mostly now to virtue signal. The fact that some people aren't selfish, but rather blessed with common sense, seems beyond your comprehension.
Define "useless".
use•less yoo͞s′lĭs
adj. Being or having no beneficial use; ineffective: synonym: futile.
adj. Having no purpose or reason; pointless; to no avail.
Thanks; never would have guessed ...
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
As I mentioned before, the evidence is pretty solid that masks reduce the dispersion of our exhalations. Hence, likely to contribute somewhat to reducing the spread of the virus. Fairly stark illustration of that effect here in an oldish Forbes article:
What evidence? Some dickweed in Forbes parroting inanities?
"dickweed"?
[Ethan Siegel, Senior Contributor] ... Ph.D. astrophysicist, author, and science communicator, who professes physics and astronomy at various colleges. I have won numerous awards for science writing since 2008 for my blog ...
That's some "dickweed" ...
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: - 15 RCTs on mask use, 13 found they were useless, 2 found cloth masks increased transmission;
- Zero correlation between mask mandates and infection rates;
- Viruses are much tinier than the holes in masks;
- If you can smell smoke or dogfarts through a mask, viruses are getting through, too;
- If air is getting around the sides of the mask, it's useless;
- If the mask becomes laden with moisture, as they all do within twenty minute, it's useless;
You might actually try reading the article instead of letting your "feelings" get in the way. As they apparently do when it comes to your presumed "article of faith" that "woman" is something other than an "adult human female", with "female" being something of a "time-limited" proposition - like "teenager" or "bachelor". Reminds me of a quip by Mark Twain:
We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking. And out of it we get an aggregation which we consider a boon. Its name is public opinion. It is held in reverence. Some think it the voice of God.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mark_Twain

Easy to throw stones at the religious for their articles of faith; bit tougher to recognize that many of our opinions are little better than that.

But, more specifically, something of a summary for the impatient, those in a rush, the perplexed, or those with an excess of feeling:
Although the World Health Organization has stated that these droplets can travel up to 1 meter (3.3 feet), studies all support the notion that droplets travel much farther than that. Researchers at MIT found that droplets expelled by an infected individual can travel as far as 8 meters (26 feet), and the largest meta-analysis of COVID-19 transmission found that continuing to increase your physical distance by each additional 1 meter significantly reduced the infection rate. ....

The ideal mask situation would be if you were able to place something over your mouth and nose that were so effective, it blocked 100% of the droplets, 100% of the virus particles, but still allowed gases like oxygen, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen to be freely exchanged with the outside environment. Of course, that's not realistic;

The efficacy of cloth masks in blocking droplet particles can vary wildly, with a single-layer cloth mask (similar to T-shirt fabric) blocking less than 10% of droplet particles, while tightly woven cotton could block up to 80% of particles. ....

Mechanical engineer Matthew Staymates ["fluid dynamicist and mechanical engineer"], who works at NIST, used a high-speed camera to film himself coughing with and without a mask, testing a total of 26 types of cloth mask. His findings reached the following conclusions:

a) even the simplest face coverings, such as bandanas or neck warmers, stopped much of your cough from landing on another person ....
d) "Another interesting observation was the impressive reduction in airflow velocity while talking with all the face coverings"

Other studies bear this out in more detail, demonstrating that wearing masks does three important things. One, they reduce the total mass and volume of droplets put into the environment. Two, they reduce the distance that droplets travel and make physical distancing a much more effective preventative measure. And three, wearing a face mask always reduces the total droplet mass relative to not wearing a mask, due to a combination of mask filtration (especially of larger droplets) and droplet evaporation (which is more effective for smaller droplets. ....
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... 49c345f3c2

https://www.nist.gov/blogs/taking-measu ... ad-disease

I await - with bated breath - your evidence that refutes the above.

I'll readily concede that current masks are hardly the ideal solution - the N95 masks might be better if it weren't for the expense. But the question is whether masks are the best solution currently available - short of total lockdown - to actually reduce the dispersal of Covid virus and the spread of the disease.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: I await - with bated breath - your evidence that refutes the above.
https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/mas ... ial-policy

That and, name one US state or country where a mask mandate reduced infection rate.

I'll readily concede that current masks are hardly the ideal solution - the N95 masks might be better if it weren't for the expense. But the question is whether masks are the best solution currently available - short of total lockdown - to actually reduce the dispersal of Covid virus and the spread of the disease.
Something that's completely useless is never a solution at all.

Spread the damn disease among the healthy! Herd immunity, problem solved.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

So unfair... I'm not allowed to claim '"my dog walked thru homeless pee then climbed into bed with me in 2020" as proof I've got antibodies.

Why not? Because 'Homeopathic Medicine' 'isn't' 'real'.

But thheeeeeyyyyyyy get to mandate masks for toddlers based on the Settled Science of Aromatheraphy.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote:
"dickweed"?
[Ethan Siegel, Senior Contributor] ... Ph.D. astrophysicist, author, and science communicator, who professes physics and astronomy at various colleges. I have won numerous awards for science writing since 2008 for my blog ...
That's some "dickweed" ...

No, Science Clearly Shows That COVID-19 Wasn’t Leaked From A Wuhan Lab
[A]n unfounded conspiracy theory about the virus’s origin has gained a lot of traction: that it was genetically engineered with the purpose of infecting humans, that it was leaked from the Wuhan Institute of Virology, and that’s where it came from.

Depending on which particular incarnation of this conspiracy you listen to, it can involve:
Dr. Fauci was behind it all, using NIAID to fund EcoHealth Alliance, which then funded Wuhan, which then created SARS-CoV-2
:cdc:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

In December 2015 Siegel published his popular science book Beyond the Galaxy: How Humanity Looked Beyond Our Milky Way and Discovered the Entire Universe .... Greg Laden compared it to Isaac Asimov's "The Intelligent Man's Guide to the Physical Sciences"

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Siegel lived in Portland.... He has a large beard and moustache and wears a kilt.... He ... is a fan of My Little Pony.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

All this pain can stop whenever you decide, steerz.

serious science expert.png
(480.09 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Snapped this while completing the first half of my 10,000 steps this morning in my suburb.

Play equipment closed my the China virus - helpfully labelled for the occupying forces.

Coming soon:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: ...10,000 steps...
5 miles ?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

No, Science Clearly Shows That COVID-19 Wasn’t Leaked From A Wuhan Lab
[A]n unfounded conspiracy theory.... Dr. Fauci was behind it all, using NIAID to fund EcoHealth Alliance, which then funded Wuhan, which then created SARS-CoV-2
https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswith ... wuhan-lab/
That dickweed's Forbes article was published May 20-- two months before July 15-- when a Virologist and Molecular Biologist revealed that they had discovered an obscure online site-- hosting a Chinese med student's Master's Thesis-- which revealed the nearest-known predecessor to SARS CoV-2 was discovered in a bat cave in 2012 after 4 miners were killed with Covid-like symptoms. The Chinese secretly collected samples from that bat cave & transported them to the Wuhan Lab.

I'd say "hindsight is 20/20" and excuse the dickweed for not forsee-ing the July evidence... except Katherine Eban had already published her Lab-Leak exposé in Vanity Fair on June 3. So the dickweed's article was a month too late to claim ignorance.
____

My point is-- I propose a standard-of-evidence, for this dickweed & others like him. His prose d-d-d-drips with smugness. No epistemic humility.

So I propose that anyone (that's you, Steersman) who cites that dickweed-- must first locate & bring-back-here proof that the dickweed has admitted his past, glaring errors of fact-- a retraction, a 'sorry', a little info-graphic box with a 'new information has emerged' update, an adjustment in his shitty attitude. Something. Heck-- even a stealth-edit bringing his past words in sync with reality.

Until then-- why should we listen to a guy who doesn't admit he was wrong?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

College professor who taught restorative justice arrested for arson spree near the massive Dixie Fire.*

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/ ... 3hohKBJ4Q4

* The smoke of which I am breathing in as I type.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

MarcusAu wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: ...10,000 steps...
5 miles ?
8 KM. I don’t measure “incidental movement” around the house.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I’d open access to my ‘air-bridge’ 🍆 ✈️

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

screwtape wrote:
Steersman wrote:
screwtape wrote: And the only people it gets passed onto who will suffer are the unvaccinated, which is why I pointed out that letting everyone else take any risk with a vaccine while you enjoy the benefits (as free-riding anti-vaxxers do with measles etc) isn't going to be a good strategy in this case. Maybe it's fine for a libertarian to say it's their choice and they'll take their chances, but they may in turn pass the disease on to those for whom vaccination is ineffective or not being performed - the elderly, children and the immunosuppressed. Sometimes we do things for others, not just for ourselves. A concept, like wearing a mask for the benefit of others, that seems to be beyond some people's comprehension.
Again, seems a bit moot on the "who will suffer are the unvaccinated". That some 61% of those vaccinated would seem to be in the same boat as the vaccinated, at least as far as their exposure to the Delta variant goes, means that 61% of vaccinated are just as susceptible to it as the unvaccinated. And may well suffer as much.

Still, a bit tricky to keep track of all the permutations and combinations.
The 61% of the vaccinated who can catch the delta variant are most unlikely to suffer much from it. They have excellent protection against severe illness and death. That's why it will be the unvaccinated (or the unsuccessfully vaccinated) who suffer.
I'll readily concede that that is probably the case in general, although most people who get the virus - vaccinated or not - will not suffer terribly from it. But that most won't "suffer much from it" does not mean that all are in the same boat. Data seems a bit vague and inconclusive - moving target - but apparently there are some "breakthrough cases", some of whom have died:
As of July 26, the CDC said it received reports from 49 U.S. states and territories of 6,239 patients with COVID breakthrough infection who were hospitalized and 1,263 who died. About 52% of those patients were male and 48% female. Seventy-four percent were 65 or older.
As indicated, most of those were over 65 and probably with "pre-existing conditions". No indication that I can see what percentages were due to the different variations but, given the generally lower protection for the delta variant, it seems not unreasonable to argue that a substantial percentage were due to it:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/br ... w/2457920/

However, a large part of my argument, as indicated by the links I gave, was that there's some evidence that at least some of those breakthrough cases with the delta version will have viral loads as great as some of those who had been unvaccinated. Though the data seems a bit sketchy as to what percentages of those populations will be in those boats:

Vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals have similar viral loads in communities with a high prevalence of the SARS-CoV-2 delta variant

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21261387v1

But that again highlights the problem with comparing different populations. That most men are taller than most women does not mean that there aren't some women taller than some men. In fact, about 40% of the women are taller than 40% of the men. Or, equivalently, in some cases of different height ranges there will be more men than women but in other cases there will be more women than men:

Mathematica_PopHghtCompare_1A_Sctn.JPG
(30 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
Steersman wrote: Glad to see you making full use out of Wikipedia, getting your feet wet, defending the site even - will make a True Believer out of you yet ...
You posted that same link here repeatedly. As far back as February 21, 2016.

You did.
Busted. You got me; I cannot tell a lie - I did; shoot me at dawn ... :roll:

Though I hadn't posted a link to it in that recent comment of mine. Or even referred to it; that was just you reading in between the lines. I was just finding it somewhat amusing that you, who had been throwing stones at Wikipedia, had been touting a particular Wikipedia article.
Service Dog wrote: You're the one who was still posting it here, in 2021.
So it reflects poorly on you-- not those other entities-- if you continue to cite that same link as current data.
Let me know when you're ready to claim that all Wikipedia articles are useless and totally fact-free .... Are they? ...
Service Dog wrote: Regarding Dr. Malone, inventor of mRNA vaccines: You should read this open letter from his wife & business partner, which is prominently-available at the link to Malone's website, which you previously posted:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... ne2021.pdf

She tells the story of Malone's early career. Even if one put-aside the truth of it as significant-- as when reading a John Grisham fiction novel-- it is compelling as-a-story. It has the ring of truth-- in that it gives the reader an insider-view into the real-world collision of scientific discovery and cut-throat profit.
No doubt there's that "collision of discovery and profit". And no doubt that Malone has some solid claims to fame. But you might note his YouTube video with your buddy Bret Weinstein where he's claiming that "the spike protein in COVID-19 vaccines is cytotoxic":

https://www.reuters.com/article/factche ... SL2N2O01XP

You have some evidence that that is the case? Or maybe even the best of us - like the Forbes author - can periodically be wrong even when we're more often right? Let me know when Malone acknowledges that he was barking up the wrong tree ...
Service Dog wrote: At the very-least, it's clear that-- circa year 2000-- Dr. Malone and his wife started a company. Which invents mRNA vaccines. They hold the patents for those mRNA vaccines. In that sense, Dr. Malone is clearly an inventor of mRNA vaccines.

Even Dr. Topol credits someone as the inventor of the recent mRNA vaccines-- the Pfizer and Moderna jabs. "mRNA vaccine inventor" is a category at the individual-patent holder level. But not exclusively so. 'mRNA vaccine inventor' also describes the inventor at the broad-category level. And Dr. Malone's claim to that title has been presented amply in his wife's letter.
I think you're grabbing at straws:
An invention is a unique or novel device, method, composition or process. .... An inventor is a person who creates or discovers an invention. ....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: I await - with bated breath - your evidence that refutes the above.
https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/mas ... ial-policy
Think you and far too many others - including the author of that River Cities Reader [RCR] article - are unclear on the concept. Masks aren't intended to protect the wearer but those exposed to the wearer's exhalations:
The Real Reason to Wear a Mask

However, much of the confusion around masks stems from the conflation of two very different functions of masks.

Masks can be worn to protect the wearer from getting infected or masks can be worn to protect others from being infected by the wearer. Protecting the wearer is difficult: It requires medical-grade respirator masks, a proper fit, and careful putting on and taking off. But masks can also be worn to prevent transmission to others, and this is their most important use for society. If we lower the likelihood of one person’s infecting another, the impact is exponential, so even a small reduction in those odds results in a huge decrease in deaths. Luckily, blocking transmission outward at the source is much easier. It can be accomplished with something as simple as a cloth mask. ....
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... lf/610336/

That conflation is painfully evident - sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb - in just reading the titles and synopses of the articles quoted by the RCR:
Here are key anchor points to the extensive scientific literature that establishes that wearing surgical masks and respirators (e.g., “N95”) does not reduce the risk of [the wearer] contracting a verified illness:

Face mask use in HCW was not demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds.

“There were 17 eligible studies. … None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.
Virtually all of them talk about the general inability of the masks to prevent the wearer from contracting the virus. Diddly-squat about those not wearing them being protected from the exhalations of the wearers. Which is what the Forbes article was all about - which you might realize if you actually read it with something approaching an open mind.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: That and, name one US state or country where a mask mandate reduced infection rate.
Issue generaly isn't the "mask mandate" but what is the percentage of the population that are actually wearing them. See this article and note the "adherence":

Mask adherence and rate of COVID-19 across the United States

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0249891

Coles Notes version:
Of the 8 states with at least 75% mask adherence, none reported a high COVID-19 rate. States with the lowest levels of mask adherence were most likely to have high COVID-19 rates in the subsequent month, independent of mask policy or demographic factors. Mean COVID-19 rates for states with at least 75% mask adherence in the preceding month was 109.26 per 100,000 compared to 249.99 per 100,000 for those with less adherence. Our analysis suggests high adherence to mask wearing could be a key factor in reducing the spread of COVID-19.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
"useless" is your claim which you have yet to prove; you're begging the question.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Spread the damn disease among the healthy! Herd immunity, problem solved.
That might work though it's probably moot what impact that would have on the medical system. Not to mention the long-term complications.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman wrote: you, who had been throwing stones at Wikipedia
False. I threw the stone at YOU. YOU are the one who posted 2005 data-- in response to claims-- that Wikipedia has recently gone woke & unreliable.

After my stone hit you square between the eyes-- you persisted in these joke-shaped references to Wikipedia's credibility. Gloating, as-if you scored some great point of wit & truth.

In reality-- you've leapt straight out of Viz magazine. Finbarr Saunders meets Roger Irrelevant.

John D

Post by John D »

They can't arrest all of us.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: I’d open access to my ‘air-bridge’ 🍆 ✈️

In that case you might want to check out if she's available...
Shirley.jpg
(13.79 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

I see your Shirley Slade and raise you one Dickey Chapelle:
dickey-chapelle-in-flight-gear.jpg
(146.68 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

And Dickey, as you might know, is not available. There's a poignant photo of her mortally wounded in Vietnam receiving the last rites. She certainly knew how to use a Crown Graphic and later a Leica.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman wrote: ...no doubt that Malone has some solid claims to fame. But you might note his YouTube video with your buddy Bret Weinstein where he's claiming that "the spike protein in COVID-19 vaccines is cytotoxic":

https://www.reuters.com/article/factche ... SL2N2O01XP

You have some evidence that that is the case? Or maybe even the best of us - like the Forbes author - can periodically be wrong even when we're more often right?
No no no. I'm not asking the Forbes author to always be right/ never wrong.

I'm saying that he purports to dispense "the actual truth" and debunk "conspiracy theories" as-if he's a reliable authority.

But it's impossible to be reliable and authoritative, if he doesn't concede when he's wrong. He's merely obnoxious.

____
Let me know when Malone acknowledges that he was barking up the wrong tree ...
My reservations about Bret W. are on record in my previous posts. I think he's quite capable of exaggerating, being seduced by his own self-regard.

Yet he clears the standard-of-evidence hurdle which I proposed for blowhards: in the follow-up to his exchange with Sam Harris, Bret directed his listeners to the Better Skeptics project-- a crowd-sourced effort devoted to fact-checking & debunking Bret W. & Heather Heying's podcast, offering cash rewards which total $10,000.

Dr. Malone also clears the hurdle. In the Dark Horse link-- he is careful & candid. He says he sent his manuscript-- his concerns about the jab-- to the FDA. And he admits the FDA reviewed his work & found "they didn't think that was sufficient documentation of the risk".

Malone's characterization of both-sides... matches the Reuter's fact-check:
Reuters: "Walt said the study found tiny concentrations of the spike protein in the first five days following vaccination, which showed that the body was producing the protein as intended.

Crucially, these spike proteins declined in the subsequent weeks, and no spike proteins were detected after the second injection. This is because the individuals developed antibodies to remove the antigen from the bloodstream, creating an immune response exactly as the vaccine was designed to do.

The tiny quantities measured in the bloodstream of vaccinated people were not toxic, Walt explained. "
The other-guy on that Dark Horse episode-- Steve Kirsch-- is the most obnoxious. So obnoxious that he was moderated with a literal "Yellow Card" penalty, on air, by Bret. But even-he says "and to be fair, the FDA did not think the S1 unit and the spike protein was toxic."

____

I don't see any acknowledgement in the Reuter's fact-check... that NIH.gov hosts a 2021 paper which agrees with Malone's risk concerns:
Abstract: ...Antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) may be involved in the clinical observation of increased severity of symptoms associated with early high levels of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in patients. Infants with multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) associated with COVID-19 may also have ADE caused by maternally acquired SARS-CoV-2 antibodies bound to mast cells. ADE risks associated with SARS-CoV-2 has implications for COVID-19 and MIS-C treatments, B-cell vaccines, SARS-CoV-2 antibody therapy, and convalescent plasma therapy for patients. SARS-CoV-2 antibodies bound to mast cells may be involved in MIS-C and multisystem inflammatory syndrome in adults (MIS-A) following initial COVID-19 infection. SARS-CoV-2 antibodies bound to Fc receptors on macrophages and mast cells may represent two different mechanisms for ADE in patients. These two different ADE risks have possible implications for SARS-CoV-2 B-cell vaccines for subsets of populations based on age, cross-reactive antibodies, variabilities in antibody levels over time, and pregnancy. These models place increased emphasis on the importance of developing safe SARS-CoV-2 T cell vaccines that are not dependent upon antibodies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7943455/

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Spread the damn disease among the healthy! Herd immunity, problem solved.
I don't think you can say that with any confidence. There's so much noise flying around it's difficult to detect the signal. There are sources claiming that the virus is small enough to penetrate masks therefore masks are useless, which is not true since the mask stops the droplets which contain the virus. The efficacy of masks is likely situational. Wearing a mask while sharing a poorly ventilated space for a significant time is unlikely to be of any use whereas it might be over a shorter timeframe. Masks are almost certainly useful in situations of transitory exposure to droplet laden air. A mask might make all the difference when buying a loaf of bread. Opinions on the subject seem to dovetail rather nicely with political leanings. Maybe we just don't have enough data to know the true picture or the people tasked with collecting the data are not trustworthy.

As I understand it, even if the vaccine were perfect it wouldn't prevent infection since only the blood is protected. The infection would be limited to the nasal area which would still make the infection contagious. So why all the guilt-tripping? I've also heard that asymptomatic transmission is unlikely so you are not going to have hordes of the unvaccinated unknowingly spreading virus. The demographic least likely to visit a doctor or stay home from work are illegal immigrants, the very people Biden is shipping around the country untested or allowing to enter unchecked. Nothing illustrates the cynicism and hypocrisy more clearly than that.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Spread the damn disease among the healthy! Herd immunity, problem solved.

Various French publications have reported on the burgeoning trend in France that seems to be particularly popular with young adults. Instead of relying on a vaccination, these people prefer an infection with SARS-CoV-2 in order to participate in society.

Franceinfo quoted a 20-year-old French woman who said she had little fear of the possible effects of an infection. “In the worst case, I’ll be in bed for a few days, or better still, I won’t have any symptoms at all.”

In the newspaper Le Figaro, a twenty-five-year-old said he was deliberately breaking hygiene rules by not wearing a mask or washing his hands. He said he hoped to get infected in order to get the “pass sanitaire” for which he would otherwise have to wait weeks because of the period between vaccinations.

“In all honesty, if a friend tells me that she has Covid, I might go to her so that she coughs on me,” another admitted.

A similar attitude was also seen among users on social networks. “I would rather have Covid once than to be vaccinated every three months until the end of my life,” wrote a user on Twitter.

Another user said that her husband had gone into quarantine but despite her best efforts, she did not succeed in contracting the virus. “I’ve tried everything to get it. Impossible.
:lol:

https://freewestmedia.com/2021/08/08/ne ... -infected/

Really?

Post by Really? »

I'm loving the debate going on here about Covid and the vaccine.

But...

Is it a vaccine? If the freaking CDC is now saying that the vaccine doesn't prevent infection, isn't it a prophylactic instead? It was NOT sold to us that way. "92% reduction in infection!" became "You'll get the virus, but you won't die!" very quickly.

I maintain my position that the situation is rife with scumbags who want money and power and who don't give a shit about science. (Including Fauci, who acknowledges in private that the masks most of us wear do nothing.

In similar news, the social media gods have banned Rand Paul...excuse me. DOCTOR Rand Paul for pointing out that the cloth masks do nothing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AANct87

You'd think it would be easy for SCIENCE to prove that pantyhose over your mouth and nose allows you to breathe completely freely, to smell all of the aromas around you...but somehow thwarts a virus that is smart enough to know whether a person is at a BLM protest or Obama's birthday party or a beach party in Florida.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Now the AMA gets in on the game, and is conflating gender identity with sex at birth.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... mmends-it/

ThreeFlangedJavis

Lsuoma wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:50 am
Now the AMA gets in on the game, and is conflating gender identity with sex at birth.

Because birth certificates are the only way to detect a fake woman. You'd never know Muscato was a man with his knickers on. Next step will be the de-gendering of dicks and twats. That's actually happened already with gurlcocks being a thing but I predict it'll become more formalised. There will be no more male or female genitalia. Worth re-iterating, because it can't be stressed enough, this is not about compassion for trans but part of a diabolical plot to demoralise the West. It is a brilliant formula. You take any marginalised group, real or imagined, convince them they're being oppressed and give them a philosophical framework which makes them feel entitled to demand goodies while generally crapping on the societal carpet and the bleeding hearts will fall over themselves to comply because it's being compassionate to the underdog. Either that or they won't want to be seen to be uncompassionate.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: Think you and far too many others - including the author of that River Cities Reader [RCR] article - are unclear on the concept. Masks aren't intended to protect the wearer but those exposed to the wearer's exhalations:
You mean, like, it's for the good of the collective? Then why didn't anyone every say that?

That conflation is painfully evident - sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb - in just reading the titles and synopses of the articles quoted by the RCR:
Don't waste my time asking for sources if you're only gonna proof text with the synopses. The results of the studies were clear: overall infection rate in a given environment is not reduced by the general use of face masks.

Issue generaly isn't the "mask mandate" but what is the percentage of the population that are actually wearing them. See this article and note the "adherence":
Mask adherence and rate of COVID-19 across the United States
According to the propaganda piece in Atlantic you cite,
If we lower the likelihood of one person’s infecting another, the impact is exponential, so even a small reduction in those odds results in a huge decrease in deaths.
So, a state or country with 90% mask compliance should've had less cases than one 75%, and one with even only 50% compliance should've done better than one with no mask wearing. Yet that was not the case. There was no correlation whatsoever.

Texas-vs-Georgia-768x432.jpeg
(39.21 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
European-comparison-768x432.jpeg
(40.14 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/29/th ... top-covid/

That might work though it's probably moot what impact that would have on the medical system. Not to mention the long-term complications.
Aside from a few, isolated anecdotes repeated as agitprop, no evidence exists of any significant long-term complications -- even conceding one can determine 'long-term' in the space of 18 months.

"useless" is your claim which you have yet to prove; you're begging the question.
Yeah, I think you're just ignoring what people sa, because you want the attention an endless argument provides. But let me tell you I got some news for you, and you'll soon find out it's true, and then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself.

John D

Post by John D »

Who is really the stupid one.... Steers.... or the man that argues with Steers. Discuss.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Barnstable ... Cape Cod. ... P-town
Yeah, now that I'm a fishmonger-- my social circle has shifted toward those places. It's cool-- if I say which vessel I sell-for, dock-centric people react-like, "Oh! Ok!"
And they act-like my family was around for generations. (It's been 9 or 10 weeks. And I know almost-nothing about sea fishing.)
All the fishermen know each other, and have each others' backs, despite being technically competitors. Over the radio, they'll announce whether the fishing is good or poor where they're at. Except one guy my brother-in-law knows: he always says the fishing bad. So if he says the fishing is really bad that day, my brother-in-law heads on over.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Another 'fact-checking' entity exposed:

https://www.aier.org/article/who-fact-c ... ensorship/

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: Who is really the stupid one.... Steers.... or the man that argues with Steers. Discuss.
Please do not discuss. It's a fair question, but it can only end one way.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Dancer.gif

img tags omitted for sanity & kindness. you're welcome

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

By the way, regarding post #437, take a look at the Panel D graph on page 27 of the study pdf.

It shows the distribution of the rate of vaccination, February thru May, separated into 4 lines-- the lines are Quadrilles representing degree-of-support for Trump.

On Day 1 the most pro-Trump counties are the least vaccinated. The most anti-Trump counties are the most vaccinated. No surprise.

But, as the rate-of-vaccination fluctuates over-time, all 4 lines 'track' in unison.

I don't see the lines diverging-- into Red MAGA pro-Trump 'hold outs' and Blue Dem anti-Trump 'vax me!' camps.

This indicates that vaccination is NOT 'politicized', despite the claims from politicians, bureaucrats, and 'trusted' news media.

The initial variation between level of Trump support and vaccination rate-- can be explained as correlation-not-causation.

For example-- it may be an urban/rural divide, with rural places experiencing Covid as a distant problem. Urban experiencing it as urgent.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

screwtape wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:24 am
And Dickey, as you might know, is not available. There's a poignant photo of her mortally wounded in Vietnam receiving the last rites. She certainly knew how to use a Crown Graphic and later a Leica.
1965, early days for the US in Vietnam. She missed a lot by experiencing so much.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote: Now the AMA gets in on the game, and is conflating gender identity with sex at birth.

In other news ... ;)

And on a topic that may be somewhat more tractable and relevant than Covid ...

But a salient point - part and parcel of that "conflating gender identity with sex at birth" - that is highlighted by that article is the wrong-headed but increasingly common use of "male" & "female" as genders. See, for example - I'm sad to say, TeenTalk Canada in an article that Colin Wright had commendably thrown stones at:

TeenTalk_Manitoba_GenderIdentity_1A.jpg
(99.83 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

But that is a contributing factor, as the article said, in the perception that
sex and gender are not as “black-and-white or cut-and-dried as we once thought,”
Which contributes to the demented view that sex is a spectrum. Though the general reluctance - sadly too common even here in the Pit - to define and agree on what we mean by "male" and "female" in the first place doesn't help at all. But, as mentioned before, the British Medical Journal has made some efforts to clearly, if imperfectly, differentiate sex from gender:

BMJ_BritishMedicalJournal_SexAndGender1A.jpg
(163.3 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

But kind of clueless of the AMA in particular to, in effect, try sweeping significant biological differences under the carpet. Ignoring them, particularly in the context of transgender nutcases, can have quite serious ramifications:
Nurse mistakes pregnant transgender man as obese. Then, the man births a stillborn baby
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 692201002/

Although many others have pointed out that there are, for example, significant differences in the responses to various drugs depending on whether we're nominally male or female:
Men and women have different immune systems and hormones, which can play a role in how chemicals are absorbed. Women tend to be smaller than men and have thinner skin, both of which can lower the level of toxins they can be safely exposed to. This lower tolerance threshold is compounded by women’s higher percentage of body fat, in which some chemicals can accumulate. Chemicals are still usually tested in isolation, and on the basis of a single exposure. ....
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ar-crashes

However, given the fact, at least based on the biological definition for the sexes, that sex category membership is something of a transitory affair, there is some justification to replace "sex" on our birth certificates with karyotype [XX, XY, etc] which is in fact more or less immutable and that would likely have a some utility in the medical situations indicated above. As I argued in an oldish Medium essay and on which a Pitter, if I'm not mistaken, On the Fence provided a welcome compliment and confirmation that I'm not entirely barking up the wrong tree:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
Steersman wrote: you, who had been throwing stones at Wikipedia
False. I threw the stone at YOU. YOU are the one who posted 2005 data-- in response to claims-- that Wikipedia has recently gone woke & unreliable.
:roll: You're just butthurt that your claim that "Wikipedia has gone woke and unreliable" was shown to be not particularly credible.

That some articles there may in fact show some evidence of woke-ish influences - which I've explicitly conceded - is no reason at all to insist that all 6 million-odd articles there are to be tarred with that rather wide brush. You're welcome to shoot yourself in the feet by throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but rather clueless and ignorant to insist that everyone else follow suit.

In many ways, Kurt Andersen's quote of Stephen Colbert fits you to a T:
A year later, The Colbert Report went on the air. In the first few minutes of the first episode, Stephen Colbert, playing his right-wing-populist commentator character, performed a feature called “The Word.” His first selection: truthiness. “Now, I’m sure some of the ‘word police,’ the ‘wordinistas’ over at Webster’s, are gonna say, ‘Hey, that’s not a word!’ Well, anybody who knows me knows that I’m no fan of dictionaries or reference books. They’re elitist. Constantly telling us what is or isn’t true. Or what did or didn’t happen. Who’s Britannica to tell me the Panama Canal was finished in 1914? If I wanna say it happened in 1941, that’s my right. I don’t trust books—they’re all fact, no heart … Face it, folks, we are a divided nation … divided between those who think with their head and those who know with their heart … Because that’s where the truth comes from, ladies and gentlemen—the gut.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... nd/534231/

"no fan of dictionaries or reference books", indeed.