Says "wrap it up, I think I'll take this one"
"A thousand dollars, please" the jewelry man said
Dupree, he said "I'll pay this one to you off in lead"

Matt Cavanaugh

Re: The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

My next swamp cooler read is Why Meadow Died

about the Parkland HS mass murder.

I can only take it in small portions, as it's alternately heartbreaking and infuriating. Woke Ideology was the critical factor. I'm not a fan of the style of writing, but absolutely everyone should read it.

P.S. If you haven't already chosen an Amazon Smile charity, Pleasant Valley Horse Foundation could use a few extra pennies now and again.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lebanon's Modern Monetary Theory: In October 2019, the Lebanese govt de-coupled their currency from the US Dollar. Then they printed tons of new sovereign money--- by creating sovereign debt four times as large as their entire annual budget. Their inflation skyrocketed above 365%. So they defaulted on all that debt-- in just 10 months (July 2020).

One year after the default, a McDonald's Big Mac now costs $16.67 US Dollars (at the official exchange rate), or $6.58 USD (if you use an ATM or credit card/ which charges the 'bank rate') or, $2.03 USD (if you exchange money with a black market dealer).

(actually, the video is from April. So those prices are surely out-of-date)

Restaurants offer 'foreign' and 'domestic' prices on French Fries. And stores have abandoned price tags in favor of QR code labels-- which automatically adjust the prices to current rates/ at the moment the item is scanned for purchase.

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: Lebanon's Modern Monetary Theory: In October 2019, the Lebanese govt de-coupled their currency from the US Dollar. Then they printed tons of new sovereign money--- by creating sovereign debt four times as large as their entire annual budget. Their inflation skyrocketed above 365%. So they defaulted on all that debt-- in just 10 months (July 2020).

One year after the default, a McDonald's Big Mac now costs $16.67 US Dollars (at the official exchange rate), or $6.58 USD (if you use an ATM or credit card/ which charges the 'bank rate') or, $2.03 USD (if you exchange money with a black market dealer).

(actually, the video is from April. So those prices are surely out-of-date)

Restaurants offer 'foreign' and 'domestic' prices on French Fries. And stores have abandoned price tags in favor of QR code labels-- which automatically adjust the prices to current rates/ at the moment the item is scanned for purchase.

Indeed. It is like I am screaming into the wind.

I think that I am resigned to just watch this cycle... over and over.

Government spending is like a drug addiction. Instant gratification. Everyone gets high off of it and they live in a little happy short term bubble. There is a pile of cheerleaders who smoke the crack and sell it to the rest of us. The cheerleaders are mostly the rich, politicians, and media elitists. This is a mix of greedy capitalists and myopic communists. Strange bed-fellows. They all say "No... wait... don't worry about inflation... this time is different!. TRUST US!"

Haha.

Inflation is basically a tax on the poor.

What will happen to me during these times of higher inflation. Well... Most of my money is in stocks. Stock values keep rising. I worry about pricing collapsing, but this is unlikely, especially if there is inflation. I also own a home that grows in value every year... more so with inflation. I have a pretty good inflation buffer.

But, people who rent, and live hand to mouth, are crushed by inflation. And the progressive politicians just feed the poor people lies. Alas.... the poor are mostly poor because they are also stupid. They are not smart enough to understand the lies... and they are hooked on the short term gains of government spending.

I just hope I can continue to stay from the riots and disruption. I have better things to do with my time... like make money... grow my garden, and work on my deck.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Remember to spay, neuter, double-mask & vaccinate your pets.

Science!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

John D wrote: ... the poor are mostly poor because they are also stupid.
Well, no one can say you weren't paying attention when reading Charles Murray.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote:
John D wrote: ... the poor are mostly poor because they are also stupid.
Well, no one can say you weren't paying attention when reading Charles Murray.
I paid ten buck when I could've just read a tweet instead?!

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Don't know how Crimebodge survives the Youtube police. The justification for this woke policing shite is always the threat narrative. Right wing bigots and "terrorists" are the existential threat. Same narrative as in the US where thousands of extra murder victims, mass property damage, the death of civil liberties and protections from abuse of the justice system are all of no consequence when there is the threat of "insurrection", racism and the existence of conservatives to deal with. Haven't heard any apologies or acknowledgements from the never-Trumpers who ignored the warning signs (more like overt actions and statements of intent) and voted for "normalcy" and "stability".

John D

Post by John D »

Fauci - Humanist of the Year. Haha.

https://thehumanist.com/features/articl ... f-the-year

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Recent Americana:

Out with the old... a fetish ball-gag discarded on the sidewalk in Brooklyn, July 3, as gay pride month ends.

My neighbor, a renowned japanese tattoo artist-- works in the traditional full-back style/ with no mechanical tattoo gun, just a single needle on a stick-- takes a cigarette break out-back, with the garbage cans & his 'friends' (rats)-- Lower East Side, NYC, July 4, 2021.

Chubby cowgirls, looking for the address, on their way to a 4th of July party.

Same ol' shit: NYC Parks police guard entry to Hamilton Fish swimming pool, with box of surgical masks on their table, Lower East Side. JULY 4, 2021.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:
Chubby cowgirls, looking for the address, on their way to a 4th of July party.
The reason the Reverse Cowgirl was invented.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: Fauci - Humanist of the Year. Haha.

https://thehumanist.com/features/articl ... f-the-year
SHOCKED. I was sure Hunter Biden would win.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I was thinking about that letter each departing president leaves for his successor.

Dear Joe,

Your son is a whore.

--Donald J. Trump

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sam is as always rather prone to waffling...

In fact I didn't manage to get through the whole thing...

Does anyone else care to summarise or even give their own answer?

(Extra points for those that manage to not cross link this to current politics or social issues).

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

"Taser! Taser! Taser!" [cops mistakenly reach for their cameraphones]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

For [Joanne Barber, a second grade teacher] teaching students about racial history is just as important as reading or math. Her class starts with defining social justice and talking about slavery, which led to institutional racism and implicit bias. Barber also weaves race and equity into every subject…. [E]very day in her class is filled with race education.
https://crosscut.com/news/2021/07/how-b ... ty-schools

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote: Does anyone else care to summarise
Lex Fridman & Sam Harris are two of the most plodding minds ever assembled.

My personal meditation nirvana consists of watching Sam Harris flail for decades, never realizing his Eastern Meditation rambling is just 'The Protestant Work Ethic' for Boomers.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote:

My personal meditation nirvana consists of watching Sam Harris flail for decades, never realizing his Eastern Meditation rambling is just 'The Protestant Work Ethic' for Boomers.
Service Dog wrote: My personal meditation nirvana consists of watching Sam Harris flail for decades, never realizing his Eastern Meditation rambling is just 'The Protestant Work Ethic' for Boomers.
Bloody Prods.

On a slightly related note - Seth Andrews put this together recently...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:
Brett Weinstein could briefly summarize it in under seven hours.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Service Dog wrote: Lex Fridman & Sam Harris
Brett Weinstein
Tim. Pool.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote: Tim. Pool.
Throwing us in the deep end there.

Perhaps Charles Murray has some answers...though Coleman Hughes doesn't seem to think so...

...or at perhaps doesn't like the question...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

spirit animal pithed:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote:

Dang, Look at that trying-too-hard clickbait thumbnail image on Coleman Hughes' video. Self-inflicted indignity. Stooping to YouTube's level. Fresh-Prince of Bel Aire graphic design coonery.

(Tho-- the conversation really-does warrant a 'Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings' title, and Thug Life accoutrements, for Murray.)

_____

One thing that caught my ear was Hughes saying: "I think left wing black identity politics has been a disaster." Interesting that he qualified it as 'left wing' black identity politics, not black identity politics In General. So... Conservative black identity politics has a better track record?...

yeah, maybe.
_______

I don't know if I'll read Murray's book. I don't feel much need-to. My curiosity mostly involves that the nature of that handful of IQ points which Blacks have gained in the last century-or-so.

I recall some podcast a couple years ago-- in-which researchers described the exact nature of that gain. Namely, those points represent an improvement in a certain-type of abstract thinking-- which is valuable in our modern world. But maybe-not universally valuable.

For example: "The color of a bear's fur helps it hide. White bears can hide in snow. Brown bears can hide in a forest. It never snows in England. What color are the bears in England?"

The low-IQ non-modernized person is more likely to respond: "I can't know. I've never been to England." While the modern mind confidently declares that English bears are not white.

But... that's only 'correct' in the abstract sense. In an empirical sense-- 'I don't know/ I've never been to England' is a true, and perhaps more wise & scientific answer. Is knowing one's limits & and expressing epistemological humility... really "less intelligent" than the accepted answer?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

If you staged a debate between Tim Pool and, say, Matt Dillahunty, protons might start decaying before either of them got to their first point.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: .

spirit animal pithed:

In the arm? Normally Justin gets jabbed in the behind.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: I don't know if I'll read Murray's book. I don't feel much need-to.
Tl;dr:

Part I
1) Mean IQ of blacks is one standard deviation lower than whites;
2) Dat da fact, Jack;
3) It's not that really smart blacks don't exist (they do), it's just there aren't enough of them to go around for professions requiring high IQ;
4) Thanks to racial quotas, except for the super smart ones, every black in America is under-qualified for their job or school;
5) IQ (more precisely, 'g') is for real;
6) Stupid people can't do some jobs. A smart person can do any job better than a stupid person.

Part II
1) Blacks commit crimes at rates far in excess of any other racial group;
2) The social engineering programs of the past sixty years, intended to eradicate racial inequity, have only made things worse;
3) Which led to all the crime committed by blacks;
4) Blacks end up in jail or shot by cops not because of systemic racism, but because they commit a shitload of crimes.

Part III
1) Dem's da facts, Jack;
2) You woke sissies need to get over it and accept the truth;
3) We need to do something about it, but I'm not going into my libertarian solutions, which you can find in my other, more expensive, books.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Grand Opening & Grand Closing-- for the Walt Disney of Negroland...

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/man ... -next-day/

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: Grand Opening & Grand Closing-- for the Walt Disney of Negroland...

They don't specify the race of the killer... but no good deed goes unpunished.

They are so woke that they have a road called "Martine Luther King". From the article see below...haha... No one edits articles these days. How can someone make such a silly mistake?
Morlock was found in the inner east side Hosford-Abernethy neighborhood at Division Street and Southeast Martine Luther King Jr. Boulevard around 3:37 a.m. on Thursday, July 1st. Morlock was transported to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The killer stayed at the scene which suggests to me that he has mental issues. The best way to stay safe is to stay away from dangerous people. A sad story really.

John D

Post by John D »

MarcusAu wrote:
Throwing us in the deep end there.

Perhaps Charles Murray has some answers...though Coleman Hughes doesn't seem to think so...

...or at perhaps doesn't like the question...
Really... a good interview. It summarizes the problem well in my opinion. The fact is that we cannot expect perfect representation of blacks and whites in high IQ jobs. But... the woke will always seek perfect "equity". If we can't discuss this topic in public then we cannot change expectations. Blacks will always blame the problem on white racists. Coleman is a good thinker, but his big concern is about blacks kids getting bullied about the IQ topic.... rather than fixing the woke expectations.

I think Murray makes a very good point in his book. He fears that whites will latch onto identity politics... and there will be a "white pride" political movement. I think he may be right. It will be fun to watch.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Grand Opening & Grand Closing-- for the Walt Disney of Negroland...

"Campers."

Portland is dead, they just don't know it yet.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:30 am

I enjoy Lex Fridman. He's at his best when he interviews people like Elon Musk. He's very interested in what drives people like Musk and in understanding consciousness and it's artificial replication. He asks what appear to be cliched questions from a desire to get down to the very basic nuts and bolts of what it means to be a thinking being and to understand history and culture. It doesn't work as well when his guest is an overly pragmatic type like Jocko Willink, although I found that discussion interesting because of the contrast between the way Fridman and Willink think.

Mindfulness, which is essentially what Harris was talking about, couldn't be more different from a Protestant work ethic. PWE is all about duty, shoulds and shouldnt's. Mindfulness is about not getting automatically enmeshed in every thought that pops up, definitely not about what one should or shouldn't do. It's about freeing one from mentally induced pain and self-imposed unnecessary obligations and expectations whereas PWE can sometimes embroil people in a morass of self-hate.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:43 pm
MarcusAu wrote:

Dang, Look at that trying-too-hard clickbait thumbnail image on Coleman Hughes' video. Self-inflicted indignity. Stooping to YouTube's level. Fresh-Prince of Bel Aire graphic design coonery.

(Tho-- the conversation really-does warrant a 'Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings' title, and Thug Life accoutrements, for Murray.)

_____

One thing that caught my ear was Hughes saying: "I think left wing black identity politics has been a disaster." Interesting that he qualified it as 'left wing' black identity politics, not black identity politics In General. So... Conservative black identity politics has a better track record?...

yeah, maybe.
_______

I don't know if I'll read Murray's book. I don't feel much need-to. My curiosity mostly involves that the nature of that handful of IQ points which Blacks have gained in the last century-or-so.

I recall some podcast a couple years ago-- in-which researchers described the exact nature of that gain. Namely, those points represent an improvement in a certain-type of abstract thinking-- which is valuable in our modern world. But maybe-not universally valuable.

For example: "The color of a bear's fur helps it hide. White bears can hide in snow. Brown bears can hide in a forest. It never snows in England. What color are the bears in England?"

The low-IQ non-modernized person is more likely to respond: "I can't know. I've never been to England." While the modern mind confidently declares that English bears are not white.

But... that's only 'correct' in the abstract sense. In an empirical sense-- 'I don't know/ I've never been to England' is a true, and perhaps more wise & scientific answer. Is knowing one's limits & and expressing epistemological humility... really "less intelligent" than the accepted answer?
Do they ask trick questions on IQ tests? There are no bears in England, outside of zoos

As for gains in IQ, are they real? When it comes to IQ research I suggest searching the fine print very carefully for euphemisms for weighting of results to correct for assumed racial biases.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Pennsylvania to conduct forensic audit of 2020 election:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/0 ... -counties/

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Pennsylvania to conduct forensic audit of 2020 election:

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/0 ... -counties/
Way too late. Trails probably gone cold, evidence destroyed and the direct evidence is probably not available anyway because thanks to the pre-election efforts of Marc Elias and friends and lack of compliance, the chain of custody is broken. Bad actors will just ignore commands anyway and they'll get away with it. Look at the Arizona fiasco where directives were just ignored until signature checks were off the table.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Furthermore, how many of these audits are similar to Arizona's, crippled to leave the real juicy stuff hidden? I'll bet there's an army of Republican swamp rats who want Trump to go away and are very happy to rubber stamp the result.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

For the audit, Maricopa county couldn't produce enough ballots to cover the number of votes it recorded in the election. That's a problem.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:08 am
For the audit, Maricopa county couldn't produce enough ballots to cover the number of votes it recorded in the election. That's a problem.
For whom? If their track record is any indication the media will minimise if they even feel compelled to report and the DoJ will do nothing. You can't trust the court system to do their job. You are living in a country where the intelligence agencies have been illegally spying on people, usually for political reasons, leaking the info to the press and nothing is done although the evidence is as plain as day. Constitutions and checks and balances mean nothing if the different branches of power are united in their determination to not see violations.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I enjoy Lex Fridman

Mindfulness, which is essentially what Harris was talking about, couldn't be more different from a Protestant work ethic.
My flippant remarks are far from the final word on these subjects. I stand by them-- as having some sliver of truth. But not-at-all disproving your opinion.

The first time I tried to pay attention to Fridman-- was the Michael Malice episode-- when Fridman was sleep deprived & struggling to string-together sentences. His flat affect always reminds me of that incident, but I do see the value in his rigor.

As for Sam Harris-- I was grasping to describe a circular argument in his meditation-talk. My thought-process went something like: Sam Harris is a square. (as-in uptight/protestant/nerd, etc.) So he pursued funky eastern meditation, and it remedied his square outlook. Fine. But then he preaches as-if squareness is universal. As-if we all must meditate, or remain squaresville. But not-everybody was square in the first place, dude. So meditating-away the squareness doesn't work as a Meaning Of Life for everyone. So then I thought: "What might serve as an alternate Meaning Of Life for the born-funky non-square people?" <--What are those hippies lacking? "The Protestant Work Ethic" popped into my head... and I laughed at the thought of opposite approaches converging. So I typed my smartass nonsensical remark.

Apologies for taking you on a dumb ride. But there you go.
______

By the way-- even Sam Harris knows 'mindfulness' isn't the whole answer, even according to his own beliefs. I heard on an old episode of his podcast-- a description of 'mindfulness' being somewhat sociopathic. Such as driving the trainload of jews to the camps-- while meditating that each moment is just as perfect as if you were saving those jews, or admiring orchids in a hot tub. 'Compassion' is the other half of the equation... missing in the Lex Fridman clip. Gotta be careful when programming autists-- can't leave-out Asimov's rules for robots!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: As for gains in IQ, are they real?
As I recall--one group studied-- to obtain that finding-- was remote Latvian mountain farmers, with little contact to the wider world. They refused to speculate on the color of bears they hadn't seen. They refused to accept that a circle drawn on a piece of paper represented the face of a clock. As the same group interacted with the modern world, they got-with-the-program & stopped-lagging in that handful of points.

Likewise, I find it plausible that getting rid of lead paint & hookworks resulted in a real one-time gain in black IQ points, over the last century.

But yeah-- I'm sure there are also weasel-word fine-print deceptions.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:57 pm

By the way-- even Sam Harris knows 'mindfulness' isn't the whole answer, even according to his own beliefs. I heard on an old episode of his podcast-- a description of 'mindfulness' being somewhat sociopathic. Such as driving the trainload of jews to the camps-- while meditating that each moment is just as perfect as if you were saving those jews, or admiring orchids in a hot tub. 'Compassion' is the other half of the equation... missing in the Lex Fridman clip. Gotta be careful when programming autists-- can't leave-out Asimov's rules for robots!
Mindfulness is definitely not the whole answer to anything. Disregarding some mindfulness absolutist somewhere, the kind Harris is talking about is an effective means of counteracting the tendency of minds to involuntarily heap all kinds of extraneous meanings and interpretations onto the present. These unhelpful additions end up soaking up all of one's conscious attention, introducing unnecessary pain and complexity. Mindfulness, the useful kind at least, does not preclude caring or acting on thoughts or emotions, it allows one to choose what to focus on. It's a powerful thing, but the "spiritual" types tend to be absolutists who think it should make one immune to all circumstance but I've yet to meet one who was insulated enough when the shit really hit the fan.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

more on mindfulness

My ex grew up Unitarian. Her dad was a psychiatrist (in the early 60's) & her mom was a feminist abstract-expressionist painter (the height of hipness for those professions). Ex became a modern dancer, then a yoga teacher.

All this added-up to a belief that 'all opinions have equal value', there's no such thing as objective truth, no one is ever 'right', hard science is probably an evil military-industrial complex construct to steamroll spirituality soul subjective poetic wisdom, etc. Oh-- and 'caring' is important... apart from actually acting-on that empathy. And there's something vaguely-wrong with loving your own kids, family, neighbors, countrymen-- more than strangers.

Ex sailed thru a 'good' high school & Ivy league degree-- without her mushy belief system hampering her. Quite the opposite, the progressive institutions loved it.

With her yoga training came a deep dive into meditation & 'mindfulness'. Thich Nhat Han, Ram Dass...

Altho my ex is such a perfect specimen-- let's zoom-out & note that she fit-right-in with all the other college-educated progressive modern urbane women.

If your mid-60's mom raised you to believe that A Woman Needs A Man Like A Fish Needs A Bicycle and marriage is trap to interfere with a woman's career-- then those aren't CONTRARY ideas you pick-up in college... rather, your entire ideology is Contrary, with no primary thing for the Contrary to push-against.

...and the point I'm driving-toward... is that adding 'Mindfulness' to that mix... is adding another layer of 'detachment' upon an Already Detached perspective.

It's like... First World Problems:

Gwyneth Paltrow displays her stark natural beauty in makeup-free meditation selfie

Gwyneth Paltrow’s Breath Work Guru On How To Keep Your Zen During the Holidays
https://www.wmagazine.com/story/gwyneth ... -guru-goop

I guess I'm sayin' these bitches need MORE intrusive thoughts! More self-doubt! Not tools for being even-bigger know-nothings. What's the point of so many resources being poured into making them into Athena-- if all we get is Gwenyth Paltrow.

___

FWIW... I spent yesterday bicycling shirtless under brutal sun & concrete slab heat reflectors. I dropped 6.5 lbs in sweat. I was every-bit as out-of-it as I accused Lex Fridman and Sam Harris of being. Or some dopey vegan chick counting her own breaths in a trance.

I ate & slept & restored electrolytes... regained 4.5 lbs. ... and hopefully I'm better at thinking today, than I was yesterday. I think the exertion & light sunburn did me good, in a 'protestant work ethic' kind of way and/or a 'chop wood carry water' kind of way.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I like Thich Nhat Han. Ram Dass was full of shit. John Daido Loori was another fraud.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I like Thich Nhat Han.
He's fine. Now picture Sam Harris in his lululemon tights, clasping a Thich Nhat Han book-- atop his water bottle-- walkin' to the Malibu TEDTalk 'Sun Salutation' yoga session, with all the blonde ponytail sportsbra types.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Saigon anymore.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Now picture Sam Harris in his lululemon tights, clasping a Thich Nhat Han book-- atop his water bottle-- walkin' to the Malibu TEDTalk 'Sun Salutation' yoga session, with all the blonde ponytail sportsbra types.
That's too much to wrap my head around. So I'm gonna just picture the sports bras.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote: I guess I'm sayin' these bitches need MORE intrusive thoughts! More self-doubt! Not tools for being even-bigger know-nothings. What's the point of so many resources being poured into making them into Athena-- if all we get is Gwenyth Paltrow.
You're probably going to have to deal with them one way or the other - if not chilled-out then wound-up.

Not sure what degree of moistness would be best for you when you do though.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:57 pm
I like Thich Nhat Han. Ram Dass was full of shit. John Daido Loori was another fraud.
An Australian colleague in the nineties was visiting California and her host, an acquaintance of Dass took her to visit him. They decided against disturbing him because the curtains were closed, or something like that, and that was apparently an indication that he was indulging his lust for young guys.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:54 am

I guess I'm sayin' these bitches need MORE intrusive thoughts! More self-doubt! Not tools for being even-bigger know-nothings. What's the point of so many resources being poured into making them into Athena-- if all we get is Gwenyth Paltrow.

___

FWIW... I spent yesterday bicycling shirtless under brutal sun & concrete slab heat reflectors. I dropped 6.5 lbs in sweat. I was every-bit as out-of-it as I accused Lex Fridman and Sam Harris of being. Or some dopey vegan chick counting her own breaths in a trance.

I ate & slept & restored electrolytes... regained 4.5 lbs. ... and hopefully I'm better at thinking today, than I was yesterday. I think the exertion & light sunburn did me good, in a 'protestant work ethic' kind of way and/or a 'chop wood carry water' kind of way.
Mindfulness is just a tool, but an Eastern one which often comes packaged with various other bits of Eastern spiritual tradition. If, as Harris does, you strip away everything else, it serves as a means of focussing the mind. All kinds of personality and affective disorders are characterised by an inability to maintain focus on the present and a tendency to get embroiled in negative thoughts which really have no relevance to what's happening now. It's a miserable way to live. Mindfulness can help with that, which I know from personal experience. It doesn't stop you from experiencing emotion and it certainly doesn't induce dogmatic certainty about anything, just the opposite in fact. If Paltrow were to really practise mindfulness she might start questioning where her wooey bullshit beliefs come from. Those hippy dipshits flitting from one trendy belief to another are usually the polar opposite of what a truly mindful approach produces.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Mindfulness is just a tool, but an Eastern one which often coes packaged with various other bits of Eastern spiritual tradition. If, as Harris does, you strip away everything else, it serves as a means of focussing the mind. All kinds of personality and affective disorders are characterised by an inability to maintain focus on the present and a tendency to get embroiled in negative thoughts which really have no relevance to what's happening now. It's a miserable way to live. Mindfulness can help with that, which I know from personal experience. It doesn't stop you from experiencing emotion and it certainly doesn't induce dogmatic certainty about anything, just the opposite in fact. If Paltrow were to really practise mindfulness she might start questioning where her wooey bullshit beliefs come from. Those hippy dipshits flitting from one trendy belief to another are usually the polar opposite of what a truly mindful approach produces.
All true.

The Paltrows have confused zen with blasé, mindfulness with drinking enough water.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: If, as Harris does, you strip away everything else, it serves as a means of focussing the mind. All kinds of personality and affective disorders are characterised by an inability to maintain focus on the present and a tendency to get embroiled in negative thoughts which really have no relevance to what's happening now. It's a miserable way to live. Mindfulness can help with that, which I know from personal experience. It doesn't stop you from experiencing emotion and it certainly doesn't induce dogmatic certainty about anything, just the opposite in fact.
I grok all that.

But when I look back at my own life, and how-much of that stuff you're talkin' about-- came from Sam Harris-style 'mindful meditation'-- vs. other Vectors of Wisdom Delivery...

it seems like Sam Harris is too narrowly fixated on that one option.

I think moving-often as a kid-- including to different countries-- really challenged my assumptions in across-the-board. Everything changed: the people, the language, the food, the weather. Some things got better, some worse. An "A/B test" which sorted-out my assumptions about what matters, what's real, what's permanent, who "I" am-- in different contexts.

Or... breaking my 'good' arm & continuing to work as a bike messenger... struggling to repair my bike wrong-handed, pushing-past pain & hypothermia, simultaneously experiencing a sudden drop in my way-with-words (from being a talker/ to speaking in short grunty words... which I attribute to the opposite hemisphere of my brain having to compensate for the physical Left/Right switch). Gave me a profound sense of perspective.

Even the last months of watching my dog die-- literally & figuratively 'carrying' him to the inevitable end. And then, after the end came... everything continuing forward...

I know neither you-nor-Harris would deny that someone could reach similar awareness without mindful meditation (right?)...

I'm just describing a matter of emphasis. I'd say the same thing if he was Joe Rogan talking about his sensory deprivation float-tank + California weed.

I'm sure it works reliably-enough to recommend to others.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

also...

A few days ago, I learned that the author of Twist of the Wrist-- a 'cult favorite' instructional book, DVD, & in-person training course for motorcycle racers--

that author is a full-blown Scientologist. So I immediately watched the 2008 'DVD' on YouTube.

Above 150mph (250km/h)... I figure the mumbo-jumbo Xenu bullshit gets sorted-out from What's Really Real.

I was amused to see a whole-lotta Scientology-esque pedogogy & ideology, in the video.

There's a little girl on bike with training wheels-- looking exactly-like the little girl on a trike, in a coloring book, which the Scientology recruiters once gave me. The girl falls off the trike & a negative 'engram' is planted in her Reactive Mind, so she has a lifeling inhibition against riding fast & free... which must be 'Cleared' using e-meter $e$$ion$.

OOORRR... you can accept this David Carradine lookalike as your personal L. Ron... and he'll teach you about your eleven SR's. (Yes! an acyronym! Like SP! :dance: ) SR stands for Survival Reaction-- which is this guy's term for all the ways you flinch to instinctively protect your body-- which must be un-learned to excel in racing. He trains top GP racers... and a generation of wannabees... so there's _something_ valid in his brand of mindful meditation.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:54 am
also...

A few days ago, I learned that the author of Twist of the Wrist-- a 'cult favorite' instructional book, DVD, & in-person training course for motorcycle racers--

that author is a full-blown Scientologist. So I immediately watched the 2008 'DVD' on YouTube.

Above 150mph (250km/h)... I figure the mumbo-jumbo Xenu bullshit gets sorted-out from What's Really Real.

I was amused to see a whole-lotta Scientology-esque pedogogy & ideology, in the video.

There's a little girl on bike with training wheels-- looking exactly-like the little girl on a trike, in a coloring book, which the Scientology recruiters once gave me. The girl falls off the trike & a negative 'engram' is planted in her Reactive Mind, so she has a lifeling inhibition against riding fast & free... which must be 'Cleared' using e-meter $e$$ion$.

OOORRR... you can accept this David Carradine lookalike as your personal L. Ron... and he'll teach you about your eleven SR's. (Yes! an acyronym! Like SP! :dance: ) SR stands for Survival Reaction-- which is this guy's term for all the ways you flinch to instinctively protect your body-- which must be un-learned to excel in racing. He trains top GP racers... and a generation of wannabees... so there's _something_ valid in his brand of mindful meditation.

The only bits of Ron's Tech worth anything are common sense bits lifted from elsewhere with new terms added to give them the old "discovered by Ron" and "nobody else coulda done it" stamp. Those bits are almost entirely contained in the introductory levels. ToT is just knowledge imparted by a guy who knows his stuff but framed in a Scientology way which makes simple concepts seem profound and results in an unnecessarily clunky delivery. No doubt Code has deluded himself into thinking that old Ron's Tech is vital to his success and Miscavige has of course used that success to keep the troops convinced and keep the IAS donations rolling in. Miscavige knows the Church is shrinking and he knows the public don't buy the bullshit, so the focus has shifted inward. Instead of recruiting and actually clearing the planet, the focus has shifted to convincing existing Scientologists that membership is expanding, psychiatry is on the run and Ron's Tech is changing the world. The Keith Codes are trotted out at IAS events to have big chunks of Freedumb Metal hung around their necks to convince Scientologists that they're winning, to keep subjecting themselves to expensive ethics checks, to buy the next set of volumes, keep slaving away in the Sea Org, that their IAS donations are making a difference. People don't understand why Miscavige was so bent on associating with Cruise when the public was cringed out. Truth is that Cruise is there for his effect on Scientologists, not the public. They don't drop millions on Superbowl Ads to recruit outsiders, the primary goal is convincing insiders that they have outside influence. Money given to Keith Code means more money for Scientology to hire private investigators and high priced lawyers.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brilliant, Reg! Super, Reg!

Not surprising at all. Horses can't tell wtf that is, might be a hole. Same reason cattle guards work, and just painted black and white stripes work as a cattle guard.

Tip to riders approaching obstables: look beyond the gay rainbow, not directly at it.

John D

Post by John D »

I think Bret Weinstein has gone off the rails. I have never been a fan of many of his ideas (like his election recommendations), but I have found him to be interesting. Lately however, I can barely make it through an episode of Dark Horse. And... his anti-vax Ivermectin stuff has been baffling. I am not a fan of MRNA vaccines for kids... but the idea that Ivermectin is useful is based on very scant evidence.

Interesting that Quillette is going after him.

https://quillette.com/2021/07/06/lookin ... -vaccines/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:30 am
I think Bret Weinstein has gone off the rails.d... his anti-vax Ivermectin stuff has been baffling. I am not a fan of MRNA vaccines for kids... but the idea that Ivermectin is useful is based on very scant evidence.
Actually, there's a lot of evidence of ivermectin's effectiveness vs. covid:

https://bird-group.org/wp-content/uploa ... _the.4.pdf

Most importantly, there's no downside to administering ivermectin to everyone - it's proven safe, and is very cheap. Okay, that last one is probably a big reason for the hate: the patents are expired so big pharma can't make a fortune off it like they can with the vax.

CDC deviously scares folks by warning that veterinary dosages would be fatal to humans, and contain "formulations" not approved for human consumption. To drive home the point, they use a photo of a lady vet with a horse.

That's horseshit. It doesn't argue against use of Ivermectin formulated for humans, which abounds.

Secondly, I take horse ivermectin all the time. The tubes have a dial on the plunger marked in weight increments. Anyone stupid enough to swallow the entire 1,200 lb tube deserves to die. And the 'formulation' is just that fillers are used which no one bothered to get FDA approved for human consumption, because no one planned on dosing humans with a tube of paste.

There's something really fishy about this fanatical push to get everyone vaccinated, including young healthy people who don't need it, and who are at risk of some serious side effects. I hope its just cult mentality and not something more nefarious.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

And when I posted on FB this recent study in JAMA on the terrible health problems masks cause children, Fuckerberg's minitru labeled it false, and warned me my privileges would be restricted were I to continue to post thinkcrime:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamape ... ppId=scweb

ThreeFlangedJavis

John D wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:30 am
I think Bret Weinstein has gone off the rails. I have never been a fan of many of his ideas (like his election recommendations), but I have found him to be interesting. Lately however, I can barely make it through an episode of Dark Horse. And... his anti-vax Ivermectin stuff has been baffling. I am not a fan of MRNA vaccines for kids... but the idea that Ivermectin is useful is based on very scant evidence.

Interesting that Quillette is going after him.

https://quillette.com/2021/07/06/lookin ... -vaccines/
Anti-vax? Not by a long shot. He's anti untested vaccines using novel technologies that rely on very narrowly targeted replication of bits of viruses, especially ones that replicate bits of viruses that are arguably cytotoxic and behave in ways that the manufacturers swear blind that they don't. He's not even anti those vaccines per se, just against cutting of alternatives for people justifiably suspicious of being injected with vaccines the long term consequences of which are unknown and against prohibiting discussion of the subject and the discouraging of doctors reporting negative reactions. Above all else, he thinks limiting scientific discussion is no way to respond to a new pathogen and social media "fact checkers" are in no position to tell the guy who invented mRNA vaccine tech that he's spreading misinformation. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.