Double wank and shit chips
jet_lagg

Social Justice Warriors: The Collectible Card Game

Post by jet_lagg »

What it says on the tin. Thread for discussion of the SJW CCG/trading cards

jet_lagg

Re: Social Justice Warriors: The Collectible Card Game

Post by jet_lagg »

To repeat what I said in the undead thread, a game centered around the feeding frenzy mechanic sounds like a lot of fun. Collect dirt on your "allies" and jockey for position on the progressive stack while the clock ticks down toward sacrifice time. That said, game design is a lot of work and lowers the odds anything will ever actually come of this. Outside of design work and play testing, someone has to create art for something like 60 to 80 cards. That's a lot to expect from Ape+ with nothing but our appreciation to offer in return. A lot of the images will be re-used, but you get the idea.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

jet_lagg wrote:To repeat what I said in the undead thread, a game centered around the feeding frenzy mechanic sounds like a lot of fun. Collect dirt on your "allies" and jockey for position on the progressive stack while the clock ticks down toward sacrifice time. That said, game design is a lot of work and lowers the odds anything will ever actually come of this. Outside of design work and play testing, someone has to create art for something like 60 to 80 cards. That's a lot to expect from Ape+ with nothing but our appreciation to offer in return. A lot of the images will be re-used, but you get the idea.
Would there be separate dirt cards featuring commonly-used accusations?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

d4m10n wrote:Would there be separate dirt cards featuring commonly-used accusations?
Excellent suggestion.

Perhaps each player could have a number of stats/points (gained/lost as cards are played) which effect the outcome and flow of the game.

Self awareness - on a scale of zero to twenty (ballpark) - starts at zero, if it hits twenty, you become self aware and realize you've become an utter cunt (miss a turn or something equally detrimental).

Dirt - your reputation becomes tarnished as your many skeletons are dragged into the light by opposing players - the higher your dirt rating, the harder it is to play/maintain certain cards/effects? Could link into cards like sexual harassment accusation, con-creeper, dodgy comment from your internet history, caught cheating on spouse (countered by "come out as poly" card) etc.

Virtue/woke rating - the more you signal your in-group cred, the higher your rating climbs. Could possibly enhance cards/effects already in play or counteract your self awareness rating?

Victim Cred - Possibly too similar to Virtue/woke?

Slacktivism rating - goes up if you miss a turn (either intentionally or when forced by another players card).

Anyway, just a few suggestions.

Also, a few card suggestions...I'll leave the details to those in the know.

"Good Ally"
"Punched a nazi"
"Brexiteer"
"Came out poly"
"Intellectual artillery"
"Guys, don't do that"
"Rusty porcupine"
"Cant even"
"Literally Hitler"
"Stunning & Brave"
"Triggering Intensifies"
"Transitioned"
"Wrongskin"
"Trolled by Elfwick"
"Quits Social Media"
"Returns To Social Media"
"Only Two Genders"
"The Glass Ceiling"
"The Pay Gap"
"Boys Club"
"Straight White Male"
"Man'splaining"
"Man Spreading"
"Stare Rape"
"The Male Gaze"
"Red Pilled"
"Blue Pilled"
"Cucked"
"Peer Reviewed"

Erm...this turned into a list of buzz-words. Fuck it, make of it what you will.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

It’s distressing just how many of these stories I know about; just how many leaders in the secular movement I’ve heard these stories about.
https://the-orbit.net/greta/2016/06/21/ ... isconduct/

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Maybe a good idea would be to use something similar to Magic's color system, except it would be the "worthwhile causes" discussed earlier, so that not two causes would have the same SJW cards and memes (except maybe some with "double cause, like bicolor cards in Magic).

Each player would choose a cause at the beginning of a game and use the assorted SJW and meme cards.

And Damion: yes, the idea was raised. I can think of a mechanic for that.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

If it's a game in which you collect oppression points it ought to be The Game of Moans.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Each player would choose a cause at the beginning of a game and use the assorted SJW and meme cards
Love this idea!

Radical feminism
MRA
Antifa
Alt-Right

The possibilities are endless!

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

If everyone is settled on a game rather than stand alone cards, we'll need to elect a lead designer as soon as possible. I watched a bunch of Riddle of Steel fans try to build a successor RPG back in the day and you'd be amazed and how impossible it is for anything to cohere when it's a bunch of independent assholes like us spitballing on a forum.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

John D is probably the one with most experience.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Seconded, assuming he'll accept the position. All in favor?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Streisand effect card.

Really?

Post by Really? »

I don't know anything about card games, so I'm happy to defer with respect to those matters.

I would, however, like to chip in jokes or whatever else.

"Richard Carrier propositions you while your spouse is passed out in the next room. Lose one turn."

"Antifa hits you in the head with a baseball bat because they thought you were a Nazi. Apologize to them and lose three Hug cards."

I really like the idea of the players having to apologize a lot. That would be fun in a room.

John D

Post by John D »

I am pretty stoked about this idea. I would be honored if I could lead the game design part of this.

According to Peterson I have a high conscientiousness so I am pretty driven to get things done. I have developed some games, written complete rules, coordinated play testing results, and completed through to final sales.

I do not want this to be "my" game. This is our game. I would like my name somewhere on the final product, but I will share that honor with all of you who contribute. For the time being I will propose we call ourselves "Slymepit Publishing"

There are four main components to this in my humble opinion;
1) game design
2) art and graphics
3) production
4) Sales and Marketing

I am happy ... no... very happy to take the lead on step 1. I suggest other pitters volunteer on the other three parts of this project. Youall are welcome to fire my ass if I fuck it up.

Now, about the money. I would love to donate any proceeds to charity. Thoughts? My labor will be free but I can only speak for myself on this. If we need to pay people for their labor on this I fully understand. I guess that we should decide this up front however... so we don't fight over this. The biggest cause of relationship breakups is money.

First, I think we should get a general agreement on the scope and style of this game. I will do my best to layout options for us to consider and send in another post... things like... CCG vs. traditional card game... tactical vs. party game flavor.... gotcha vs. strategy style. Once we come to a general agreement about scope I will collect everyone's ideas and make some proposals. We definitely need to scope this first however.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I vote small in scope, both in terms of rule complexity and content. This increases the odds of the project getting finished, and if like me you're entertaining dreams of this possibly making a splash and taking the piss out of real SJWs, accessible is better than crunchy. Also there's always the option of expansions down the road.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jet_lagg wrote:I vote small in scope, both in terms of rule complexity and content. This increases the odds of the project getting finished, and if like me you're entertaining dreams of this possibly making a splash and taking the piss out of real SJWs, accessible is better than crunchy. Also there's always the option of expansions down the road.
Agree.

What is a CCG game?

Feeding frenzy seems like a good idea. Try and start out reasonable then gradually tip people over the edge, with some involuntary rage thrown in - kind of like loss of sanity in a Cthulhu-themed game.

But definitely small and simple to begin with.

Thoughts for additional rules include intersectionality points, collecting allies, you tube subs, etc.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Has anyone else here played Fiasco?

It's a fun game where a situation is set up with a bunch of premises, then "the tilt" occurs, then consequences happen. Think Fargo or Blood Simple and you won't be far off.

http://bullypulpitgames.com/games/fiasco/

John D

Post by John D »

SJW scoping ideas

Party game vs. tactical game
Screw your neighbor vs. more strategic
Speed play or planned
High or low player interaction
Battle vs. building style
High or low randomness
Collectable cards vs. fixed deck
Cards only or include tokens (hug tokens, etc.)
Number of players
Length of play (15 minutes or 90 minutes etc.)
Rowdy vs. scheming
High variety of cards or generic style cards
Specific people on the cards or generic types
Only leftist SJWs or a full spectrum of characters
Kickstarter or no?

So these are just thought starters and ideas we will have to settle. You don’t have to answer all these questions. I am just trying to get the main concept in my head.

Overall – what experience should the players have? How should they feel when the game is finished. Should they be laughing at clever twists or should they be pissed at their spouse?

What kind of games do youall like. Are there examples of games that are similar to what we want to do.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

CCG = Collectible Card Game (i.e. Magic: The Gathering, Yu-gi-oh!, Pokemon, etc.. ) I suppose we should cut down on the jargon.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

John, I am having a memory issue: what are the names of the games you designed? I was going to get them years ago, and life happened.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Party games are more accessible than tactical. Screw your neighbor is keeping with the ethos of the SJW. I think the feeding frenzy lends itself to gameplay that starts with a building mechanic and can switch into frenzied battle at the drop of a hat (allow schisms? reduce a group or individuals social media presence beyond some threshold and they're out of the game?). Fixed deck is appropriate for small scope. Tokens in general are fine, but having them represent hugs (or anything that isn't very abstract) makes the game more granular and violates the small scope philosophy. I don't think people should be able to play as non-SJWs, and characters like Sargon or Armored Skeptic should be game challenges to overcome.

I'd like something that captures the constant paranoia Myers or any other SJW on a platform must feel as they navigate the social minefield of their own creation.

Really?

Post by Really? »

jet_lagg wrote:Party games are more accessible than tactical. Screw your neighbor is keeping with the ethos of the SJW. I think the feeding frenzy lends itself to gameplay that starts with a building mechanic and can switch into frenzied battle at the drop of a hat (allow schisms? reduce a group or individuals social media presence beyond some threshold and they're out of the game?). Fixed deck is appropriate for small scope. Tokens in general are fine, but having them represent hugs (or anything that isn't very abstract) makes the game more granular and violates the small scope philosophy. I don't think people should be able to play as non-SJWs, and characters like Sargon or Armored Skeptic should be game challenges to overcome.

I'd like something that captures the constant paranoia Myers or any other SJW on a platform must feel as they navigate the social minefield of their own creation.
Like I said, I know jack about these kinds of games, but I like dribbling in thoughts that can be ignored. I like the idea of people like Sargon being enemies that must be overcome.

"Sargon of Akkad makes a video about the time you used racial epithets on Twitter. Lose one turn."

I would also find it funny to have PZ's ZOOM meme incorporated. Perhaps ZOOM can be the mechanic by which you deflect attention from your own sins.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

This sounds like an excellent idea.
I would, however, suggest avoiding the use of exact names of SJWs as that could create potential issues in the event that the idea took off and we wanted to do a kickstarter to generate funds for a more professional cardset.

The gameplay possibilities for this are enormous - for example you could get a misogynist card in combination with a muslim, BLM or Bill Clinton card which would make you immune from criticism :dance:

I guess the main objective will be to constantly highlight that SJWs are, as Rita Panahi so eloquently put it, insufferable virue signalling hypocrites,

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

Considering the maneuvering in the SJW community, it reminds me of the old Kremlin game.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/196/kremlin

There are pdfs of various rules the game has had there. It's a satirical game based on the Soviet Politburo. These types of games were never my thing, but I remember playing it years ago and it being interesting. The goal was to remain head of state for a certain amount of time and survive the infighting and backstabbing. It's the first thing that popped to mind, anyway.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

You read mind about cards that can protect you from attacks by fellow sjws. Like a card can carry an accusation "he is a harasser" and can be countered by playing another card that shows you've been secretly undergoing HRT. "Did you just misgender me???"

I was thinking about the feeding frenzy rounds on the way home. Make it like poker where a huge part of the game is trying to guess what the other person is holding. An off the cuff example: you need to play a social shaming card against the accused to gain virtue. However, you recently lost your own sexual harasser scandal card to a discard pile, subsequently shuffled and perhaps now in another players hand. If you virtue signal and someone counters with that card you become a victim of the feeding frenzy. Devin Faraci would be a very cautious player indeed.

John D

Post by John D »

So, we are probably looking at a card game with 50 to 80 cards. Very affordable to produce and sell.

Fast action and quick play.... maybe 30 minutes per game

All the jokes will be against leftist SJWs. Our target audience are people who are into free speech and anti-SJW... Sargon fans and the like.

Here is the big question in my mind; Do we think we can build the game around characters? I think this will be the funniest and have the most appeal. We can make a Tiggleypuff card... and PZ Meyers card... a Anita card... but, of course, we will change the names. From a pure fun and mocking standpoint, this is the format I recommend.

If we do this... the art is a hard part that I am not qualified for. Can one of the pitters commit to this level of art design? I am thinking we need about 32 individual character cards. Each card will honor a particular SJW.

There certainly is a way to make a fun game mocking SJW behavior without doing complex and comical graphics. But, my thinking is that this will not be as popular. Players will probably want mock characters of infamous SJW people.

So, I guess what I am asking everyone is..... can we make a character heavy game? Does someone have the time and energy to handle the comical graphic design? If no one can volunteer for this we can still work on a game that is less graphical (and unfortunately, probably less funny).

Thoughts?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

If characters is the way to go, I think we could use some of Ape's previous work (if he's okay with it), and if he feels like doing some more, his work would thus be reduced. He's already made caricatures of lots of SJWs.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm so in and have no idea what I could provide. I kind of would see it a bit like munchkin in that you can arm yourself with victim points and if you go into battle with someone you can throw follower at them - like a horde attack - or also use your victim points to make other people attack.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

John D wrote:So, we are probably looking at a card game with 50 to 80 cards. Very affordable to produce and sell.

Fast action and quick play.... maybe 30 minutes per game

All the jokes will be against leftist SJWs. Our target audience are people who are into free speech and anti-SJW... Sargon fans and the like.

Here is the big question in my mind; Do we think we can build the game around characters? I think this will be the funniest and have the most appeal. We can make a Tiggleypuff card... and PZ Meyers card... a Anita card... but, of course, we will change the names. From a pure fun and mocking standpoint, this is the format I recommend.

If we do this... the art is a hard part that I am not qualified for. Can one of the pitters commit to this level of art design? I am thinking we need about 32 individual character cards. Each card will honor a particular SJW.

There certainly is a way to make a fun game mocking SJW behavior without doing complex and comical graphics. But, my thinking is that this will not be as popular. Players will probably want mock characters of infamous SJW people.

So, I guess what I am asking everyone is..... can we make a character heavy game? Does someone have the time and energy to handle the comical graphic design? If no one can volunteer for this we can still work on a game that is less graphical (and unfortunately, probably less funny).

Thoughts?
I think you need to set up a template or standard design and then involve a few different pitters who can shoop who would work using that template.
I think its too much work for just one or two pitters to do all 50 - 80 cards but setting up an initial template and deciding on a consistent style is really the priority - even more than the text or rules of the game.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Eheh, I was thinking: we could have pre and post Elevatorgate cards of certain SJWs. Imagine a fight between old Myers and new Myers. Or old Watson and new Watson. The possibilities...

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If characters is the way to go, I think we could use some of Ape's previous work (if he's okay with it), and if he feels like doing some more, his work would thus be reduced. He's already made caricatures of lots of SJWs.
Thanks, Phil. I'm so glad you said that. It's what I suggest too.

I'd love to crank out all the images needed, it sounds like it'd be a blast. But I'm wary of committing to something I'm not certain I can deliver. 50-80 images already has me reeling :D

But, it's early days, there's time to feel our way to a working situation that suits us best.

So, I have a huuuuge repository of composited images, many of them never seen here. Exploiting that could certainly shorten a production schedule.

If you haven't visited the Pit's image archive, it's where you'll find the bulk of the images I've posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10

If you see something that interests you, check with me about it. Not because you need permission (see my sig), but because my source files are often very different from what's posted here. For example, they're often larger and higher resolution. I rarely post a large pic without shrinking it down for the Pit first. Also, if you're interested in a specific element in a pic, sometimes I'll already have that element alone, isolated from it's surroundings.

I'll go through my collection and cull out some of the better composites that aren't available here. I'll post a link when I've uploaded them somewhere (File depository? Imgur? Which would you all prefer?).

There are a few niggling issues I'd like to talk about before we get too far, but not right now. I'm pretty sleepy and would make a hash of it :D

One thing I do want to point out is I am definitely NOT a designer. I'm not especially gifted, nor am I good with the sort of tools, like vector graphics, that would be best for that kind of work. Plus, all the fonts I use are free because I can't afford otherwise -- free fonts will only get you so far before their rough edges make your work scream UNPROFESSIONAL.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I hope it is. Best of luck to all of us :dance:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

One more thing. I haven't played a board game since Trivial Pursuit many years ago. I've never played D&D or any variants, not even on a computer. So, I'm going to be the idiot who's probably going to need Gaming101 explanations fairly often.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I don't know if you should use real people on these should you?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

rayshul wrote:I don't know if you should use real people on these should you?
I don't think so. It's much better to use archetypes based on real people but different enough to avoid legal issues. Also it's funnier that way, because you can ramp the ridiculousness of how the characters look.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... OT0km85b_Q

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

It's caricatures, and not their real names. Fair use, methink.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

I don't know. If there's going to be money involved, I'd say it probably wouldn't be wise to use real people. Also, the latitude of the law changes on whether you're using public or non-public figures. Is Steve Shives a public figure and therefore can be shooped fucking a goat for laffs? I don't know.

I do know that if fresh composites of non-existent people are needed, the amount of work will go up 10000%. I've done it -- the Godfrey Elfwick you see out there right now is one -- and it's not easy.

Here is another:

http://i.imgur.com/bhqpaut.jpg

Here are the sources:

https://imgur.com/Fq7S2Hl.jpg

Look at the differences in lighting, color, saturation, brightness in the 10 human elements that went into making the character. That took a lot of adjustments and a lot of time to make blend together. That can't be done for dozens of characters and be ready anytime before next summer :shock:

So yeah, that's something that'll have to be hashed out. And it would be good to know the boundaries of settled law, should anyone lampooned goes apeshit.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves with the art. Beyond play testing the game that will be the most labor intensive aspect of creation, and unlike play testing you can't split the work up amongst an untrained crowd. In other words, that's where monetary cost will arise.

I still say we design first, worry about production value later. We can do everything we need to do with slips of paper covered in crudely drawn stick figures labelled "Peezus" and "Anita Sarkeesian". If (hopefully when) we get to the stage where the game is polished and fun, anyone interested could chip in to pay someone for some pieces of concept art and the hope of more work to come. The concept art and prototype game are enough to put together a kickstarter video.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I'd prefer anonymoids, but ones identifiable with anyone who has half a grip on the history will be able to identify the target.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jet_lagg wrote:I think we're getting ahead of ourselves with the art. Beyond play testing the game that will be the most labor intensive aspect of creation, and unlike play testing you can't split the work up amongst an untrained crowd. In other words, that's where monetary cost will arise.

I still say we design first, worry about production value later. We can do everything we need to do with slips of paper covered in crudely drawn stick figures labelled "Peezus" and "Anita Sarkeesian". If (hopefully when) we get to the stage where the game is polished and fun, anyone interested could chip in to pay someone for some pieces of concept art and the hope of more work to come. The concept art and prototype game are enough to put together a kickstarter video.
Yup. And thanks to everyone who niggered me with the suggestion about avatars...

John D

Post by John D »

Great feedback everyone.

I agree that worrying too much about the art at this point is a bit ahead of ourselves. I just wanted to get a feel for how hard it would be to create 80 unique images. I really love the idea that players collect "followers" and these followers are each a unique character. This requires lots and lots of art.

Perhaps the best approach is to have something more like "generic" characters. I guess these are "anonymoids" per Lsuoma. These could be modeled after a specific person, so they would still be funny, but we could use 10 to 15 of them. Players will collect followers and try to steal them from each other. There will be about 5 cards of each character in the game. This simplifies things and will still be really funny.

Regarding playtesting.... I have done this before. I should be able to find enough testers and they can be found among the general public, friends, and potential fans. When it comes time to play test I will have well written rules and a mockup of the cards. I have boxes of blank playing cards at home that I use for game development. It is also easy to use sleeves that you can slip printed material into.

This idea is starting to gell in my head and I like it. It has a real SJW feel to it and also lines up with how SJWs really work. Each player could be called a "Slacktivist" and they are trying to grow their Patrion supporters. Each follower in your "ally pool" will provide some Patrion support... Some bring lots of money while others bring fame or some other kind of ability. Some followers do not get along with other followers in your pool.

Players can trade followers with each other from their ally pool. This will feed into a strategy for each player.

Each turn a player can play a "victim card". These will have either instant and long lasting effects. They will do various things and have names like "literally Hitler" or "Mansplaining" or "precious fee fees"... etc.

Nice... haha... I really like it. This will give us plenty of opportunity to both mock SJW characters (modeled after real people) and mock the typical SJW phrases.

OMG Ape - Your art always makes me crack up. I think we can use lots of art that already exists, especially if we are not trying to make 50 unique cards.

So, keep the ideas coming. This is rattling around in my head and I am feeling really good right now.

What I would really like (and some of you have already done this) is to get a list of classic SJW phrases, a list of people who we should mock, and ideas about factions.

Example of phrases:

Literally Hitler
Manspreading
Shitlord
Precious fee fees

Examples of people or "characters"

Bike Lock Professor(Eric Clanton)
Prune Faced TERF (Benson)
Skeptical Chick (Watson)
Gamer Girl (Anita)

Finally (for now): The game will play best if we have some kind of loose factions. These factions will drive the play strategy since some factions will play well together and some will not.

Examples of Factions:

Fembots
Pinkos
Islamophiles
POCs
Guilty Whites
Regressive Left

Wow... lots to do... okay. At some point I have to pretend to do my real job, but this is going well. I will start making a list of characters, factions, and phrases based of all your feedback so far (and keep it coming). I will share the list once I pull it together.

John D

Post by John D »

I will try not to overwhelm youall, but here is my basic concept for the strategic part of the game. There will be five "factions". I don't know what they are yet and this will take a bit of work. A faction will be something like "Fembots", "Pinkos", "POCs".... some kind of group.

Each character will belong to one group. The adjacent groups will make strong allies. The opposite groups will make enemies... or at the least "Unstable allies". As you collect followers you will try to make a stable group, but some cards and characters will mess you up.

My sketch is just a concept.... we need to decide what to call the five factions.
10-19-2017 11-49-24 AM.jpg
(65.17 KiB) Downloaded 315 times

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

John, could you set up either a dropbox or google drive account to keep notes in now that we're ready to start compiling lists? Someone more tech savvy chime in if I'm wrong, but I believe with google drive you can link individual email accounts to different privileges. All interested parties can DM you their emails and be able to get viewing permission for authoritative documents outside the chaos of the thread. Interested and approved individuals can be given edit permission if they're in charge of a specific project. This thread will continue to be the place to spitball.

John D

Post by John D »

Jet - I will investigate a better way to have detailed communication. This thread will not serve us well in the long run.

AND... Oh My Jove! I have come up with a solution to the factions topic. Factions will not be based on philosophy (like Fembot or Cuck)... they will be based on communications technique. This should work great... GREAT! The example below will make things clear.

FIVE FACTIONS:
1) Media-whores - Ben Afleck. Emma Watson. etc.
2) Rapping-writers - Ta-Nehisi Coats
3) Intellectual-idiots - PZ, Becki Watson
4) Brick-throwing-barbarians - Eric Clanton, Melissa Click
5) World-wide-wankers - Sarkesian, Cenk Uygur

I will now make a diagram. Keep in mind that the faction idea will drive the strategy and volatility of the game. The player's followers will provide points and powers, but they will also have conflicts with each other. One well played card be an opponent can destabilize a pack of followers.

John D

Post by John D »

Here is a very quick and ugly sketch of the factions and example characters in each faction. The characters in adjacent factions are relatively stable allies. The characters across the diagram are unstable allies.
10-19-2017 2-26-56 PM.jpg
(194.04 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

John D wrote:Jet - I will investigate a better way to have detailed communication. This thread will not serve us well in the long run.
I can give 'pitters access to my discord server and create a private (password protected) channel for them to use. It's 100% free, quick to download/install and simple to set up/use.

All you need is a mic.

https://discordapp.com/

The server is live 24/7 and right now, due to clan politics, is all but deserted.

Just floating the option...

John D

Post by John D »

Ahhhhhhh.... I can't stop! Here is my very rough draft of a character list. Each character will have a name, real life equivalent, faction, best quote, and some game stats (not shown).

The cards will have theses stats in a very simple form. They will show the name and the quote clearly.

Okay... haha... I am making myself laugh a bit. This is an early version but it is already shaping up nicely.
Character worksheet.jpg
(163.7 KiB) Downloaded 314 times

Matt Cavanaugh

The Rules

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Here's the thing: nobody's actually going to play this game. It's satire with the trappings of a game. The rules should also be satirical -- being functional is irrelevant.

For example, with my Steve Shives Blocks You card, I wrote an overly complicated, Magick-style use: "... place a 'Blocked' marker on each of opponent's Character cards. etc." There shouldn't be any 'Blocked' markers, or any actual way to play the card. The card has one purpose: to deliver the joke, "Effect: none".

Think about it -- to be realistic the SJW player should lose all the time. We had a board game called Life On The Farm, made by some farmer family. After playing it a few times, we realized no matter how well you performed, you always ended up deep in debt. That's the joke.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I didn't mean we needed a new spot for communication. I meant it would be good to have all design notes, card mockups, prototype rules, etc... dumped in one spot, rather than having the sort through all the comments here to find them (then trying to figure out what is current).

A quick question about the factions. I think 3-5 players is golden. How do the alliances sort themselves at the lower end of that scale?

John D

Re: The Rules

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Here's the thing: nobody's actually going to play this game. It's satire with the trappings of a game. The rules should also be satirical -- being functional is irrelevant.

For example, with my Steve Shives Blocks You card, I wrote an overly complicated, Magick-style use: "... place a 'Blocked' marker on each of opponent's Character cards. etc." There shouldn't be any 'Blocked' markers, or any actual way to play the card. The card has one purpose: to deliver the joke, "Effect: none".

Think about it -- to be realistic the SJW player should lose all the time. We had a board game called Life On The Farm, made by some farmer family. After playing it a few times, we realized no matter how well you performed, you always ended up deep in debt. That's the joke.
Hmmm... I am not too interested in designing a game that sucks. If this project is ONLY about LOLs then I am not your man.

John D

Post by John D »

jet_lagg wrote:I didn't mean we needed a new spot for communication. I meant it would be good to have all design notes, card mockups, prototype rules, etc... dumped in one spot, rather than having the sort through all the comments here to find them (then trying to figure out what is current).

A quick question about the factions. I think 3-5 players is golden. How do the alliances sort themselves at the lower end of that scale?
Yeah - I agree on the communication. We do need some file sharing and such.

I don't understand your question. "How do the alliances sort themselves at the lower end of that scale?" Can you rephrase this?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Building the free thought caliphate near Chernobyl?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

John D wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:I didn't mean we needed a new spot for communication. I meant it would be good to have all design notes, card mockups, prototype rules, etc... dumped in one spot, rather than having the sort through all the comments here to find them (then trying to figure out what is current).

I don't understand your question. "How do the alliances sort themselves at the lower end of that scale?" Can you rephrase this?
If there are 3 players instead of 5, for example, I guess.

John D

Post by John D »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
John D wrote:

If there are 3 players instead of 5, for example, I guess.
The players do not choose a faction. They do have to keep the factions in mind as they build followers. Their followers will make good and bad things happen depending on how they interact with each other.

The number of players is independent of the factions. We will have to try the game with various numbers of players. It may work out that as few as 2 players will make a good game. The max number of players will depend on the number of cards in the deck. If too many are playing there will not be enough followers in the deck.

John D

Post by John D »

Here is my draft for the characters. We can change these as much as we want. I just took a shot at this so I could start making the cards and stats. There are 4 character types per faction for a total of 20 unique character cards. I think there will be three of each card in the deck for a total of 60 character cards.
10-20-2017 9-23-28 AM.jpg
(287.19 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Yeah, what Phil said. If there were three players for example it could be set up so one player is adjacent to the other two, possessing two allies and no opposition.

You mentioned Citadels in the main thread. What if we used something similar for the feeding frenzy portions?

For people unfamiliar with the game, the players take turns drawing from a deck of character cards with various abilities. You can't see what the other players are choosing, but can deduce it from what remains in the deck when its your turn to pick (except there are some random elements to thrown in to make things tricky). So, for example, you'll see the warlord card is gone, which has the ability to destroy one of your districts. You counter by taking the assassin card, which can be used to eliminate another character before it can take an action. Of course, maybe the warlord was really shuffled out at random, and you just wasted a precious turn sending an assassin to negate something your opponent wasn't going to do anyway.

Back to the feeding frenzy, this is much more elegant way to accomplish what I was envisioning earlier, knowing that your opponent may have a sex scandal card up their sleeve. You're trying to read the situation and know if it's safe to virtue signal or if you should just lay low (at the cost of letting someone steal the spotlight, of course).

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I feel this exercise has prematurely drilled down to nuts & bolts, skipping many preliminary steps, including the raison d'etre discussion that should have been the first order of business. IOW, what is the point/message/impact of this exercise, and how best to achieve it?

You all have dived into minutia before addressing key issues of scope & feasibility. One big question already raised is whether to depict actual people or veiled caricatures. The former raises legal concerns, while Ape+Lust has noted the latter likely requires prohibitive amounts of labor. Yet I see that John already has well-defined characters with clever names, game mechanics, etc. That may lead to a nifty game, but it's not the approach I'd take to any sort of project or endeavor, especially a collaborative one.

But even more so, this doesn't feel 'Pit' to me. The Pit for me has always been about snark and satire and irreverence, about not taking anything too seriously. That's our metier, imo, where we excel. I wish you all a lot of fun, but I'll respectfully opt out.

John D

Post by John D »

I am totally open to discussing changes or even complete destruction of the stuff I am running with. The last time I published a game I completely re-wrote it three times. Yes.. three times... It took us two years to complete.

It would be great to have a few concepts nailed down. Here is where my head is at.

1) Real people vs "characters". I have a lot of fear around using real people... and I don't really want to be subjected to endless DOXing and internet attacks from SJW goons. Using characters is risky enough as it is. I vote characters.

2) Regarding art, I think we can use as much material as possible that is already created. We can also potentially recruit help for a fee if needed. We should try to keep it as simple as possible... but we also want to opportunity to make enough jokes.

3) Regarding the humor.... well... this is a tough one. Most of you are funnier than I am. I came up with the idea of character cards with quotes because I thought we could insert lots of jokes. The other place for jokes will be in the instant and permanent affects cards. There are tons of opportunities to screw each other and modify the game play.... and each card can be a kind of joke.

4) Regarding the overall concept of the game. I am trying to come up with a playable game that includes the opportunity to insert lots of irreverent jokes. There is a ton of space for this with my current concept. So, Matt.... I guess I am trying to understand what you want. What is specifically wrong with the current approach and what should I be doing differently? I am running with some ideas I have in my head. If they suck I will change them. I am in a kind of head-space where tons of ideas are in my head. Rather than going slow I am running with them. If they don't work I will throw them away... but... I am just hacking away at this right now. What are you looking to do? I am not trying to distance you or ignore your ideas... I just want to try to make a fun game... rather than a weird game. I mean.... how cool would it be if people liked the game because it was funny... AND also because it was good.

So... now on to Jets comments. I love Citadel. Fantastic game mechanics. One of the best small deck card games I have ever played. Very elegant. We could develop a similar mechanic. Now, in Citadel there are about 100 property cards that you build. I am having trouble thinking of a Citadel style game without the building concept. What would the players build up in our SJW game? Would they build fame, or money, or media points? My other concern with Moving more toward a Citadel style game is that there is little opportunity for jokes. But... maybe I am just not seeing the possibility just yet. There are only about 8 characters and then a bunch of buildings. Hmmmmm....

John D

Post by John D »

Jet - I'm trying to picture the "feeding frenzy". Can you describe this concept in a bit more detail? I read your prior descriptions. So far I am using a straight forward traditional order of play where each player lays one card and then draws one new card per turn. Are you proposing a different way to play each card?

Certainly, there will be cards that mess with your opponents. There will also be cards that protect you from attacks. I could even have instant cards that you can play as a immediate defense against an attack card. Well..... now that I think about it, maybe each non-character card could be played as a permanent (played on your turn) or an instant card (played as a defense in someone elses turn).

So... You could have a "Triggered" card for example. It could be played on one of your follower cards and give them some kind of power.... say.... protection from discard. Or you could play it in defense of an attack by another player. Crap... so many ideas. Haha

Anyway... please... when you get a chance... give me a richer description if possible.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Getting the pit to actually do anything is like herding cats. John sounds very receptive to input, and in that sense it's a collaborative effort, but at the end of the day someone needs to be making calls. Again, I watched people try to create an RPG via forum discussion for a period of years, and it was a mess.

My votes:

1) Characters rather than real people (but clearly based on real people)

2) Art is last priority.

3) It should be funny, of course. I see the humor deriving from the flavor text as well as the mechanics. The rules for Munchkin, for example, are a brilliant satire of the min/maxing, rules lawyering D&D gameplay you see with people who care a lot less about story or coherency than they do about powering up their characters.

4) As for the meaning of the game, the project, and everything? I like designing games and poking fun at SJWs. If it's a project that never achieves liftoff, but we amuse ourselves along the way, that's a victory. If it culminates in something good enough to justify a kickstarter, that's a bigger victory. If the kickstarter is successful and we can afford to ship a slick finished version with professional art, that's the Scoopy Doo ultra happy ending.
John D wrote:I am having trouble thinking of a Citadel style game without the building concept.
It makes sense in my head. There's no reason you can't use the hidden character draft mechanic from Citadels as general inspiration and patch that on top of a different game.
What would the players build up in our SJW game? Would they build fame, or money, or media points?
That's something we need to solidify soon, but I was thinking an abstract fame that represents followers, patreon income, etc... We also need to think about a victory condition. Matt said SJWs always lose, and it's hard to deny that's true in the long run. Maybe something along the lines of becoming Anita Sarkeesian. Fat paychecks, invitations to the UN, fawning interviews with the mainstream media. Maybe you get a movie deal based on your life story with the warning that you'll always know the world you left behind is still there. Right now there's a younger, hungrier SJW with chatlogs from your early days, and this game never truly ends.
Jet - I'm trying to picture the "feeding frenzy". Can you describe this concept in a bit more detail?
I'm still thinking very abstractly. Have you played Battlestar Galactica? There's a point where the traitor is revealed and the game dynamic shifts from fighting the enemy to fighting eachother. People tell me Game of Thrones is similar in that the white walkers (Sargon and crowd here) are the external threat, but there's also the game of maneuvering for control of the iron throne. The feeding frenzy would be shift from fighting the MRAs and neo reactionaries to an opportunity to take down supposed allies. You're right that we need more detail before going any further though. Let me mock up a simple version this weekend. We'll see what can be unified with other concepts, what needs refining, and what should be tossed.

John D

Post by John D »

jet_lagg wrote:Getting the pit to actually do anything is like herding cats. John sounds very receptive to input, and in that sense it's a collaborative effort, but at the end of the day someone needs to be making calls. Again, I watched people try to create an RPG via forum discussion for a period of years, and it was a mess.

My votes:

1) Characters rather than real people (but clearly based on real people)

2) Art is last priority.

3) It should be funny, of course. I see the humor deriving from the flavor text as well as the mechanics. The rules for Munchkin, for example, are a brilliant satire of the min/maxing, rules lawyering D&D gameplay you see with people who care a lot less about story or coherency than they do about powering up their characters.

4) As for the meaning of the game, the project, and everything? I like designing games and poking fun at SJWs. If it's a project that never achieves liftoff, but we amuse ourselves along the way, that's a victory. If it culminates in something good enough to justify a kickstarter, that's a bigger victory. If the kickstarter is successful and we can afford to ship a slick finished version with professional art, that's the Scoopy Doo ultra happy ending.
John D wrote:I am having trouble thinking of a Citadel style game without the building concept.
It makes sense in my head. There's no reason you can't use the hidden character draft mechanic from Citadels as general inspiration and patch that on top of a different game.
What would the players build up in our SJW game? Would they build fame, or money, or media points?
That's something we need to solidify soon, but I was thinking an abstract fame that represents followers, patreon income, etc... We also need to think about a victory condition. Matt said SJWs always lose, and it's hard to deny that's true in the long run. Maybe something along the lines of becoming Anita Sarkeesian. Fat paychecks, invitations to the UN, fawning interviews with the mainstream media. Maybe you get a movie deal based on your life story with the warning that you'll always know the world you left behind is still there. Right now there's a younger, hungrier SJW with chatlogs from your early days, and this game never truly ends.
Jet - I'm trying to picture the "feeding frenzy". Can you describe this concept in a bit more detail?
I'm still thinking very abstractly. Have you played Battlestar Galactica? There's a point where the traitor is revealed and the game dynamic shifts from fighting the enemy to fighting eachother. People tell me Game of Thrones is similar in that the white walkers (Sargon and crowd here) are the external threat, but there's also the game of maneuvering for control of the iron throne. The feeding frenzy would be shift from fighting the MRAs and neo reactionaries to an opportunity to take down supposed allies. You're right that we need more detail before going any further though. Let me mock up a simple version this weekend. We'll see what can be unified with other concepts, what needs refining, and what should be tossed.
I have played Betrayal at the House on the Hill which sounds like the same mechanic as Battlestar Galactica. At a certain point in the game it goes from being a cooperative game to one where one player becomes the baddy and the rest try to defeat them. Does this have an SJW feel? Maybe. But, it sounds like Galactica is the reverse. Hmmmm.... sounds fun. I get what you mean about a feeding frenzy.

It would be fun if the "winner" of the game ended up winning because they had the most spectacular fail. Haha. This would be fantastic. Wow... how do we do this? I can't think of a game I have ever played that ended this way... where the winner is the best loser. Hmmmmm. I am sort of trapped in the mind set where people who play the game play to win. I understand that the big joke is that SJWs will fail, but I don't know hwo to make this happen.