"God-centered community building" / "Jim's closet"

For endless numbers of endless posts about the same endless techniques
deLurch

"God-centered community building" / "Jim's closet"

Post by deLurch »

jimhabegger was holding off on question for a day or two until he started his "community building" thread. He was tossing around these ideas for the title of his tread.
jimhabegger wrote:I'm taking suggestions for the title of the thread. Here are some possibilities I'm considering:
- God-centered community building
- Jim's closet
- Support group for self-improvement and community service
And he also stated what his first post was going to be.
jimhabegger wrote:I'm planning to start a thread in the The Bottomless Pit of Endless Wonder, in a day or two, to discuss the kinds of community building I'm promoting, and maybe the kinds of discussions I'd like to have about social issues and the outrageous things that are happening in the world. The first post will be mostly a copy and paste of my post 12905.
Why wait a day or two for what can be done today. So here it is. His starting post!
jimhabegger wrote:Rather than go through that paragraph of that message of the Baha'i Universal House of Justice, sentence by sentence, trying to explain it without the God metaphors, as I started to do; I've decided to try to explain, in my own words, the community-building process that I see being promoted by the House of Justice.

It revolves around people in a neighborhood or village encouraging and supporting each other in systematic and sustained self-improvement and community service, motivated by love of God, using what they learn from studying His words and the stories surrounding them. What I mean by "love of God" is, roughly, a kind of love that brings out the best in people, and inspires warm feelings and friendly intentions for all people and all of nature, and a burning desire to do all the good we can do and be the best people we can be. A person may or may not see the object of that love as something they call "God." They might not even see it as having any specific object, or even have a name for it or be conscious of it at all.

What I mean by "God's words" are the words of the people that Baha'u'llah calls "Manifestations of God," which include Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, the Bab and Baha'u'llah. In the programs being promoted by the House of Justice, the words and stories at the center of the studying are those of the Bab and Baha'u'llah. I'm not sure that the process could work as well without that. I'm not sure it couldn't.

The studying is mostly in the form of "study circles," small groups of people who are following a plan of study designed to nurture their love of God, their desire to serve, and their capacities for service. The acts of service can vary widely, according to the needs and possibilities in the neighborhood or village, and the capacities and interests of the people. They always include devotional meetings, study circles, children's classes, junior youth programs and people visiting each other in their homes.

Periodically people in larger areas, a few counties for example, gather together to exchange news, ideas and experiences about what's happening in their neighborhoods and villages, and what to do next.

There are cycles of expansion and consolidation, most often three months, attracting more people into the process. Sometimes the expansion phase lasts a few weeks. The actus of service multiply, and eventually reach out to wider areas and higher levels of society.

There's a lot more to it than that, but those are some of the most essential elements.

deLurch

Re: "God-centered community building" / "Jim's closet"

Post by deLurch »

Jimhabegger,
In all seriousness, it appears you want to write about community building as it pertains to the baha'i faith, and want to obtain a reader base for your writings.

Why not consider starting a blog on Patheos? There niche is faith based bloggers. I searched and did not find any blogs dedicated to the baha'i faith. If you meet their requirements for bloggers, it appears you would be a perfect fit for them.

Here is the information on what is required to become a blogger on Patheos, and how to get started:
http://www.patheos.com/About-Patheos/Ed ... ubmissions

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Welcome Jim!

ffs

Post by ffs »

relinking SN's most important post so that it does not go unanswered
I mean, what the fuck? Are you really hoping to recruit here? If, however, you really want to discuss it, and you're not just here to recruit us, then how about discussing the actual, specific beliefs of your version of islam? I have a few questions:

Does your offshoot branch of islam have the same aversion to pigs and dogs that other muslims have?

Does your offshoot branch of islam believe that some religious crimes should be punished by death (eg: blasphemy, gay sex, unmarried sex if female)?

Does your offshoot branch of islam still mutilate baby's penises like the other branches of islam? Does your type of islam ever practice FGM?

Does your offshoot branch of islam require the veiling of females?

Does your offshoot branch of islam practice arranged marriages?

Does your offshoot branch of islam believe that religious laws should be the law of the land?

Does your offshoot branch of islam believe that your god split the moon and then put it back together again?

Does your offshoot branch of islam have a holy book, like the koran or some version of it?

Does your offshoot branch of islam promote the killing of unbelievers?

Does your offshoot branch of islam require any specific type of praying or other rituals whereby you reassure your god that he's a really great guy and that you really, really, love him cuz he's so great and stuff?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

{Bahai'ii] believe that God is transcendent and unknowable. However, He has sent, and will continue to send, great prophets to humanity, through which the Holy Spirit has revealed the "Word of God." The Great Manifestations of God up to this time have been:

Adam
Abraham
Moses
Krishna
Zoroaster
Buddha
Jesus Christ
Mohammed
The Bab
Baha'u'llah
http://www.eaec.org/cults/bahai.htm

Questions to Jim:

1) Is this list accurate?

2) If so, how do Bahai'ii explain the fundamental, irreconcilable contradictions among the teachings of these disparate figures & the religions that venerate them?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Baha’u’llah taught that human beings cannot understand God completely or have a clear picture of Him in our minds. This is because God is too great and too subtle for this to happen.
https://carm.org/basic-teachings-bahai-faith

Question for Jim:

* Given that God is too great and too subtle for human beings to have a clear picture of Him, and
* Given that Bahahullah was a human being,
* How did Bahahullah form such a clear, detailed picture of God?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Jim ain't here, man.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Last I heard he was busy rolling on the floor. Of course I am not sure if his prayer and research into scripture preceded the floor rolling, or came after.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Jim ain't here, man.
Jim's in China, so likely asleep, or praying, when this was made.

I suspect Jim has come to the Slymepit after giving up on his wee Chinese friends, who, when told about Jim's community building, probably offered to build him an entire reproduction Ba'hai city on the cheap.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:Last I heard he was busy rolling on the floor. Of course I am not sure if his prayer and research into scripture preceded the floor rolling, or came after.
I confess, neither.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:Why wait a day or two for what can be done today. So here it is. His starting post!
deLurch, I really do appreciate what you've done here. Honestly, seriously, I really see it as a very thoughtful thing to do, and truly an example of community service. It delighted me to see it.

There are some questions that keep coming up about my motives, intentions, attitudes and behavior, that I want to try to answer, outside of this thread, before I discuss what I wanted to discuss here.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

jimhabegger wrote:
deLurch wrote:Last I heard he was busy rolling on the floor. Of course I am not sure if his prayer and research into scripture preceded the floor rolling, or came after.
I confess, neither.
viewtopic.php?p=348745#p348745
jimhabegger wrote:ROTFL!

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:Jimhabegger,
In all seriousness, it appears you want to write about community building as it pertains to the baha'i faith, and want to obtain a reader base for your writings.

Why not consider starting a blog on Patheos? There niche is faith based bloggers. I searched and did not find any blogs dedicated to the baha'i faith. If you meet their requirements for bloggers, it appears you would be a perfect fit for them.

Here is the information on what is required to become a blogger on Patheos, and how to get started:
http://www.patheos.com/About-Patheos/Ed ... ubmissions
Thank you. No, I'm not looking for a reader base. I've seen at least ten blogs dedicated to the Baha'i Faith, and at least three that I might try, if I were looking for a reader base.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch, I meant that I didn't review my checklist at all, before or after my "ROTFL." I didn't review it for my "Jealous?" either. Or for any of my posts in this thread, up to this point.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Welcome Jim!
:) Thank you!

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

8-) I trusted my intuition that time.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Here's an idea, a current & unique & (according to this twitter user) effective approach to community-building:

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Skep tickle wrote:Here's an idea, a current & unique & (according to this twitter user) effective approach to community-building:
Very similar to the Twitter Puddle incident. No mystical gibberish required, just a talking point & people. No external, moralising lectures from delusional do-gooders can do the job a sense of fun and a puddle can, achieving a feel-good community factor without tithes or homophobia.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... s-a-puddle

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Skep Tickle and HunnyBunny, thank you! Sorry it took me so long to see this.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimhabegger wrote:Skep Tickle and HunnyBunny, thank you! Sorry it took me so long to see this.
So, Jim, someone in the other thread posted that Bahai your version of 'community building' does not allow itself to be taught to Israelis.

My question to you is this: Do you refuse to community build with all jews or just Israelis? And, if it's all jews, then do you count the ones who don't believe in the religion or do you guys mean racial jews?

By the way, my name is Sue, how do you do? My race is jew, can I join you? Your community, that is?

Now then, if you are allowed to talk with us dirty jews, I want to know something. In your ideal community, what laws would change?

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

It's me you have to impress Jim... Just remember that.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

For now, all I'm planning to do here, if anyone ever wants to, is:
- Discuss the kinds of community building I see being promoted by the Universal House of Justice.
- Discuss what you and I are doing, and might be able to do, about social issues and the outrageous things that are happening in the world.
- Respond to comments and questions that look friendly to me.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

TheMan wrote:It's me you have to impress Jim... Just remember that.
:lol: Thanks for the comic relief! I needed that, just now.

ffs

Post by ffs »

Right, TheMan controls everything

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Lsuoma wrote:Meh, he'll be Wonderized if he keeps this up.
That answers a question I had, whether I should stop posting in the Undead Thread altogether, or just stop responding to questions about my religion. No more posting in the Undead Thread.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimhabegger wrote:For now, all I'm planning to do here, if anyone ever wants to, is:
- Discuss the kinds of community building I see being promoted by the Universal House of Justice.
- Discuss what you and I are doing, and might be able to do, about social issues and the outrageous things that are happening in the world.
- Respond to comments and questions that look friendly to me.
Ok, then, how about you tell us a summary of what your justice house wants communities to be like. Describe it a bit, because so far, except for those people who have looked elsewhere on the internet to figure it out, most of us have no idea yet what you're even promoting. You just keep vaguely referring to building communities and saying that you're going to write this or that later. Give us a couple paragraphs to sum up what your promoted community is like.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Scented Nectar wrote:Ok, then, how about you tell us a summary of what your justice house wants communities to be like.
I did that already, in my post that deLurch copied into the original post of this thread.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:I'd like to understand why you're trying so hard to chase me out of this thread, or why you think it's so wrong for me to do be posting here.
Here is the deal ...
Thank you.
... to talk and engage with everyone else about what ever interesting subjects come up. And you seem completely tone deaf to that, or even perhaps callous indifference ...
That's a good way to describe the unfriendliness I saw in my posts, looking back.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimhabegger wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Ok, then, how about you tell us a summary of what your justice house wants communities to be like.
I did that already, in my post that deLurch copied into the original post of this thread.
Oh, ok. I skimmed past it too fast the first time. You make it very clear that you are looking to build a religious community. So, why on earth are you here? We have made it very clear that we are atheists. You do that switcheroo that many religious types use when recruiting, saying that god just means love. If it did, you would use the word 'love' instead.

You also say that your god's words come from some people who, if the writings about them are at all correct, were violent killers. That doesn't sound like words of love to me.

So, drop the religious shit and join into the normal conversations, if you want to fit in here.

Or, if you can't drop the religious promotional recruiting, then at least understand why it is most of us find you so irritating. Do any of us go into your religious facilities and start recruiting for atheism?

Anyways, I guess you want to avoid answering my list of questions. I'm trying to determine which islamic practices your offshoot branch kept when you broke away from the other islamic faith-heads. I find most islamic practices to be cruel and abhorrent. Do you?

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:"I am here to promote the Baha'i religion."
The reason I didn't say that is because that isn't what I thought I was doing.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

jimhabegger wrote:
Might I suggest that your overly cumbersome checklist is affecting your ability to clearly communicate with people.
jimhabegger wrote:I have a checklist that I've been trying to remember to apply to each post, before I post it, until it all comes naturally to me.

1. Pray about whatever I want to write about.
2. Search the scriptures for ideas and inspiration.
3. Make sure that I'm working to improve my practice of whatever I'm promoting.
4. Never depreciate anyone, or anyone's ideas, and free myself from all ill will.
5. Find something to love in people whose ideas and behavior alarm me.
6. Look for all the good I can find in other people's ideas, and in what they're doing.
7. Wait to post, until I can do it with friendly feelings towards everyone.
8. Express my views, as Abdu'l-Baha said, "with the utmost devotion, courtesy, dignity, care and moderation"
9. Not be distracted and diverted from any of that, by any of the turmoil that I see, or imagine, on Facebook or anywhere else in the world.
10. Embrace my antagonistic thoughts and feelings, and everyone else's.
11. Remember my priorities, which are mostly offline.
Keep in mind that you are coming at this from a religion that most people know nothing about, so when you go on about community building and house of justice most people have no clue what you are talking about.

For the longest time, I thought you were talking about some little physical building your religious group had set up and was trying to get other people to come in and use as a civic center.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:For the longest time, I thought you were talking about some little physical building your religious group had set up and was trying to get other people to come in and use as a civic center.
Yes, I saw that, and as soon as I saw that, I started re-phrasing it to make it more clear.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:Just spit it out next time. "I am here to promote the Baha'i religion."
That isn't what I thought I was doing. Pondering it now, I can see that it's true in a way, but I still think it would be misleading. I'm not here to promote Baha'i beliefs or to try to recruit people into the Baha'i Faith.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Dave wrote:Let me try to make this simple ...
Thank you. Your advice looks friendly to me, and I appreciate it.

I'm not trying to get anyone to talk about what I'm interested in. I was looking for people who might already have similar interests, enough to want to talk about it. I thought that anyone who wasn't interested would simply ignore me, or else try to have some fun mocking, maligning and baiting me, which I would simply ignore. It never occurred to me that I could actually be a nuisance, until I saw some people trying to chase me out.
Remember, this free advice, like all others is worth exactly what you paid for it.
LOL thanks!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

jimhabegger wrote:I'm not trying to get anyone to talk about what I'm interested in. I was looking for people who might already have similar interests, enough to want to talk about it.
Think about this for a minute.

Of the entire population of the world, where do you think you would find people interested in the "community building" of the Universal House of Justice aka the seat of the Baha'i faith?

Would your be more likely to find those people on Baha'i faith forums, or when you meet every 19 days? Or on an atheist/skeptic forum?

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:
jimhabegger wrote:I'm not trying to get anyone to talk about what I'm interested in. I was looking for people who might already have similar interests, enough to want to talk about it.

Of the entire population of the world, where do you think you would find people interested in the "community building" of the Universal House of Justice aka the seat of the Baha'i faith?

Would your be more likely to find those people on Baha'i faith forums, or when you meet every 19 days? Or on an atheist/skeptic forum?
Your intentions aren't looking as friendly to me as they were. If you have any friendly intentions, please tell me what they are.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:Think about this for a minute ...
If you have any friendly interest in me, or in the topics I'd like to discuss, please tell me what it is.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimhabegger wrote:
deLurch wrote:Think about this for a minute ...
If you have any friendly interest in me, or in the topics I'd like to discuss, please tell me what it is.
Many Pitters have expressed interest in you and asked about the things you've written here. But, you keep saying that you won't talk about the details of the religion you're preaching here, and you also ignore other questions. How long are you going to keep on doing that while still expecting people to stay interested in you and take you seriously?

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

If no one here has any friendly interest in me, or in what I'd like to discuss, then the sooner everyone stops talking to me, the sooner I'll go away.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

If no one here has any friendly interest in me, or in what I'd like to discuss, then the sooner everyone stops talking to me, the sooner I'll go away.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimhabegger wrote:If no one here has any friendly interest in me, or in what I'd like to discuss, then the sooner everyone stops talking to me, the sooner I'll go away.
Are you unable to go away until we let you? That religion has ruined your mind. You need reminding that you get to control what you do. You get to make your own decisions. That's probably your next life lesson you need to learn. Just saying.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

jimhabegger wrote:
deLurch wrote:

Your intentions aren't looking as friendly to me as they were. If you have any friendly intentions, please tell me what they are.
I am just trying to point out the obvious.

If I wanted to talk about the community building efforts of the Vatican, I would get far more interest on a Catholic forum, or in that specific community group. I am sure I would not get much play discussing that on a Jewish forum, but instead get a lot of questions, and they would wonder why someone had bothered to bring it up there.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Wowbagger has exactly the same number of ignores as Wonderbore. Coincidence? I think not...

CaptainFluffyBunny

I too would like to participate in this conversation-
fb3d2b6befce51fd24ed0bdb8f1766b9.jpg
(104.53 KiB) Downloaded 486 times

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jimhabegger wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Meh, he'll be Wonderized if he keeps this up.
That answers a question I had, whether I should stop posting in the Undead Thread altogether, or just stop responding to questions about my religion. No more posting in the Undead Thread.
The Undead Thread is reserved for fat-shaming, transphobia, and discussing the armor-penetrating capabilities of the British 17-pdr.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jimhabegger wrote:If no one here has any friendly interest in me, or in what I'd like to discuss, then the sooner everyone stops talking to me, the sooner I'll go away.
Several of us have asked earnest questions about your beliefs. You refuse to answer them, instead mewling about us not being 'friendly' enough.

It's actually a courtesy we have extended to you, to offer you the opportunity to explain your belief system. Same as received by jesse the feminine mystique dude, creativity73, the RaHoWa brood mare, same as any SJW would receive, had they the balls to comment here. But dissembling & evasion do not cut it at The Pit.

Nor do you get to dictate the terms of the conversation. We do, cuz we're the ones being asked to expend time & energy listening to you, popping in from out of the blue.

The very next thing I want to read from you are two straightforward answers to my two straightforward questions. Ya follow?

CaptainFluffyBunny

You do remember his earlier appearance here, yes? Just one bit. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=321&p=100033#p100033

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

I am personally looking forward to his discussion on the community building efforts of the Universal House of Justice.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

I'm not impressed yet...

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

I'm posting this reply to turn on "Notify me when a reply is posted." Also, anyone who wants to is welcome to send me a private message or an email.

CaptainFluffyBunny

jimhabegger wrote:I'm posting this reply to turn on "Notify me when a reply is posted." Also, anyone who wants to is welcome to send me a private message or an email.
Awesome! What do you hope to get out of this? Abuse is an acceptable answer.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:I am personally looking forward to his discussion on the community building efforts of the Universal House of Justice.
I'm not sure that your intentions are not friendly, and I've seen some signs that you're actually trying to communicate with me, and possibly really do have some friendly interest, either in me, or in what I'd like to discuss. Almost all of your posts have looked and felt friendly to me.

If your intentions really are friendly, I might be able to see that more clearly if you explain what it is about me, or about the topics that I've said I'd like to discuss, that interests you.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch wrote:I am personally looking forward to his discussion on the community building efforts of the Universal House of Justice.
If you want to know why I have doubts about the friendliness of your intentions, here is one reason among others:
deLurch wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Meh, he'll be Wonderized if he keeps this up. Stupid godbot.
Please don't take away my new favorite toy.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Is friendly a synonym for gullible? Why is it so important to you? The Slymepit is not for the faint of heart.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Now that I see that the reply notification is working, I'm logging out, and closing this tab on my browser.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

I forgot -- Twice on my phone I've been blocked from this site, either because of logging in from China, or because of my IP address changing from using VPN, which is the only way I can access most sites outside of China. That hasn't happened on my notebook at home, but I'm not sure it won't. If anyone does have any friendly interest in my or in my topics, and I don't respond to your posts, it might be because I've been locked out. Feel free to email me.

feathers

Post by feathers »

When The Man comes around...

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

That isn't going to work.
No more notifications will be
sent until you visit the topic.
I'd better stay logged in, after all.

CaptainFluffyBunny

So you've been asked some sensible questions, and I asked some of my own. Or are you simply waiting for deLurch because you perceive he might be friendly? You seem mighty eager to not engage.

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

deLurch, in case it isn't clear, or I've obscured it with my last few posts to you, I really would like to have some kind of discussion with you, if I can see more clearly that your intentions are friendly. I like your style very much, and I think I would really enjoy having some kind of discussion with you.

I won't try to answer any questions about "Baha'i" beliefs, but if think you need to know more about my own personal views, to discuss one of the topics that interest me, I'm willing to discuss them. If you'd like to have some kind of discussion with me, but you aren't interested in either of the topics that I said I'd like to discuss, then give me a list of other topics that interest you, and I'll see if any of them interest me.