The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: The 3FJ, Matt, & Dog Conspiracy Show

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
Steersman wrote: Thanks for “turning down a glass” for me there Bhurzum, although just forgotten – more or less – but not yet gone.
Yay! The Guv'nor is back! Oh, and I'm always happy to raise-the-wrist when it comes to remembering old battle-buddies! I just wish your time away from the 'pit wasn't so lengthy...
Cheers mate. :) :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Bhurzum wrote: I'm knackered, matey. It's a vicious combination of wrecked back, buggered knee and lack of motivation. I walk with a bit of a limp/hobble and sometimes, after a lengthy period of inactivity (sitting down, reading etc), my knee makes the most horrific crunching/grinding sound when I move and it's always accompanied by the most intense stabbing pain I've ever experienced. It's getting pretty bad, my family are pushing me to give up my hounds and lead a less active lifestyle. Personally, I think my daily wobbles with the dogs are a good thing (must stay active, keep the blood pumping and the joints moving!) and I'll be buggered if I'm going to give them up.
Sorry to hear that - we all have our crosses to bear, I guess. But those of some people - like you & Screwtape - sure seem rather "heavier" than those of most of the rest of us.

Was into the hospital several years ago for some minor surgery and remember seeing some room set aside for those with pain management issues. Still some limits to what medical science can do so psychological "nostrums" are often the best they can do. Expect "wobbles with the dogs" helps somewhat on that score; hope so in any case.
Bhurzum wrote: Anyway, glad to hear you're still fighting the good fight and hopefully you'll start posting here again!
:-) Comforting the afflicted, afflicting the comfortable.

But may have a bit more "free time" for that, particularly as I've been summarily ejected from the ranks of those in good standing with Twitter, at least until I try to create another account. Bit of a "time sink" - I've put off things I should have been doing, rather frustrating at times, but also a useful source of information and a way of enlisting others to various causes.

FWIW, the proximate cause of my ejection, and the rather prescient tweet by Cathy Young that was part of my “crimes”:

Twitter_JamesWatt_Suspensions_Y210627A.jpg
(106.63 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
CathyYoung_BathroomWars_Sctn_1A.jpg
(47.72 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Find it astoundingly, gobsmackingly unfathomable how anyone could have ever given any credence at all, even the time of day, to that idiotic "self-identification" claptrap. The "politicians" responsible for that, particularly there in the UK with the GRA, should be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes ... ;) :)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote: ...it's always accompanied by the most intense stabbing pain I've ever experienced.
For the moment anyway.
Bhurzum wrote: ...I'll be buggered
You don't need to provide any further updates on this score.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote:
Bhurzum wrote: ...I'll be buggered
You don't need to provide any further updates on this score.
Tsk.

You've always got to drag the conversation into the gutter. :P

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzum wrote: You've always got to drag the conversation into the gutter.
and hold it down and

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Welcome back, boyo! Some repetitive sex-essentialism will be a welcome change from the Trump/election/pandemic disinformation machine (though the ignore function has made it tolerable). I'm at Day 152 of the transplant, and the new immune system is still scrapping with the OG tissues to decide if there shall be only one. I'll be allowed a Covid vaccine in another month, and then all the infant vaccinations will start.
Irreversible Damage has given me some entertainment, especially when I persuaded the wife to read it. Eventually my stock will recover. When Gorski first followed in the footsteps of Peezus I deleted the relevant bookmarks, and I'm sad the rot has penetrated as far as dumping Harriet Hall rather than tolerate perfectly reasonable opinions on the trans-craze. I'm totally happy to let people live as they please, but when cliques of troubled teens simultaneously declare war on the world by saying 'support my craziness or else', and no one is allowed to debate the matter, I'll say what all right-thinking people are thinking: I don't believe them. I don't believe they have gender dysphoria. I don't believe they need to transition. And I certainly don't believe we must dance to their tune. So there.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog wrote:
Bhurzum wrote: You've always got to drag the conversation into the gutter.
and hold it down and
...thumb its crack open and...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

place both thumbnails together and

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

screwtape wrote: the Trump/election/pandemic disinformation machine (though the ignore function has made it tolerable). I'm at Day 152 of the transplant, and the new immune system is still scrapping

Achtung!

https://media.patriots.win/post/Ox9PmmFr.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sto ... e-57862881

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

...yell for Richard "Spunky monkey" Carrier to come join the fun...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

https://media.patriots.win/post/5jf9IbE4.png

CovAIDS-2: Secret of the Electric Boogal-Ooze

(Teenage Mutant Ninja Variant)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape wrote: Welcome back, boyo! Some repetitive sex-essentialism will be a welcome change from the Trump/election/pandemic disinformation machine (though the ignore function has made it tolerable). I'm at Day 152 of the transplant, and the new immune system is still scrapping with the OG tissues to decide if there shall be only one. I'll be allowed a Covid vaccine in another month, and then all the infant vaccinations will start.
Irreversible Damage has given me some entertainment, especially when I persuaded the wife to read it. Eventually my stock will recover. When Gorski first followed in the footsteps of Peezus I deleted the relevant bookmarks, and I'm sad the rot has penetrated as far as dumping Harriet Hall rather than tolerate perfectly reasonable opinions on the trans-craze. I'm totally happy to let people live as they please, but when cliques of troubled teens simultaneously declare war on the world by saying 'support my craziness or else', and no one is allowed to debate the matter, I'll say what all right-thinking people are thinking: I don't believe them. I don't believe they have gender dysphoria. I don't believe they need to transition. And I certainly don't believe we must dance to their tune. So there.
Trans-national.

Trans-planted.

And yet still somehow managing to be anti-Trans.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Service Dog wrote: I played a fun tabletop rpg once, about Time Travelers visiting merry olde England. One character brought-along a paperback copy of Mists of Avalon, which fell into the hands of the locals. Comedy hijinks ensued.
You all are courting disaster with all these puns.

Time Travel & King Arthur...I'm sure that never the Twain shall meet for these two subjects.

Well...OK...I guess I could make one exception.
Now you're just yanking us around...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

You all are courting disaster with all these puns.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

No Clemensy.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: You all are courting disaster with all these puns.

trans*ubstantiation

/ˌtransəbstanʃɪˈeɪʃ(ə)n,ˌtrɑːnsəbstanʃɪˈeɪʃ(ə)n,ˌtransəbstansɪˈeɪʃ(ə)n,ˌtrɑːnsəbstansɪˈeɪʃ(ə)n/

noun Feminist Theology

the conversion of the gristle log and cobblers into a fragrant, moist, lady-peach at the instant of self-identification, only the appearances of facial hair and dirty great "strangly" hands remaining.

(No puns here, chief!)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote: (though the ignore function has made it tolerable).
You mean, like, CNN?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Best film adaptation of a novel evah

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

screwtape wrote: Welcome back, boyo! Some repetitive sex-essentialism will be a welcome change from the Trump/election/pandemic disinformation machine (though the ignore function has made it tolerable).
Thanks. :)

Though “sex-essentialism” seems likely to be very wide of the mark. Is it “age-essentialism” to insist that the necessary & sufficient condition to qualify as a member of the “teenager” category is to be between the ages of 13 and 19 inclusive?

Likewise with the sexes which are likewise simply categories with objective criteria for membership. The biological definitions, the scientific definitions, for the sexes stipulate that those necessary and sufficient conditions for the sexes are to have functional gonads, to be able to reproduce, to produce sperm or ova for reproduction. It’s been rather gratifying – given me a new lease on life, recharged my batteries ;) – to have a couple of heavy hitters – Paul Griffiths & Marco Del Giudice – more or less endorse what I’ve been saying for much longer:
Aeon_Griffiths_ExistenceOfSex_2B.jpg
(186.57 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Aeon_Griffiths_ExistenceOfSex_1B.jpg
(206.77 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
ResearchGate_DelGiudice_IdeologicalBias1A.jpg
(278.16 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Not sure how much credibility anyone will have in arguing for any explicitly unscientific definitions for the sexes …
screwtape wrote: I'm at Day 152 of the transplant, and the new immune system is still scrapping with the OG tissues to decide if there shall be only one. I'll be allowed a Covid vaccine in another month, and then all the infant vaccinations will start.
I hadn’t been careful enough, or had enough time, to note that your original comment was from July of last year. So obviously your transplant went ahead – of bone marrow, I assume. Glad to hear it in any case – the marvels of medical science and technology. Ever onward and upward – assuming that Lysenkoists like PZ, Gorski, Joyce, Stock, Hilton, and Wright – among a host of others – don’t once again set biology back by several decades as happened in Russia some 80 years ago.
screwtape wrote: Irreversible Damage has given me some entertainment, especially when I persuaded the wife to read it. Eventually my stock will recover. When Gorski first followed in the footsteps of Peezus I deleted the relevant bookmarks, and I'm sad the rot has penetrated as far as dumping Harriet Hall rather than tolerate perfectly reasonable opinions on the trans-craze.
Stock with your wife? Who, I assume, was not impressed with Shrier’s book. Some cause for Shrier to “sound the alarums”, but some questionable premises undergirding it. And some unjustified hyperbole which others have pointed to.

But quite agree about Gorski following in the footsteps of Peezus. Kind of astounding that virtually all of the reviews of Irreversible Damage at SBM have more or less explicitly endorsed the definition of the sexes as spectra – but also kind of useful in a “know thy enemy” sense; forewarned is forearmed.

But rather disconcerting that Harriet Hall, in an SBM essay some 8 years ago, basically endorsed the same anti-scientific claptrap:
Sex is a spectrum on several axes

Science has not been able to categorically distinguish a male from a female. There’s no one simple test to determine whether an individual is a woman or a man.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/sex-ge ... mplicated/
screwtape wrote: I'm totally happy to let people live as they please, but when cliques of troubled teens simultaneously declare war on the world by saying 'support my craziness or else', and no one is allowed to debate the matter, I'll say what all right-thinking people are thinking: I don't believe them. I don't believe they have gender dysphoria. I don't believe they need to transition. And I certainly don't believe we must dance to their tune. So there.
“let people live as the please” is, while somewhat credible, also rather “problematic”. Reminds me of a quip by Bill Maher quip that Muslims just want to be left alone to abuse their women. Whole concept of gender and its more pernicious & wooish manifestations is causing an untold amount of quite unnecessary grief - even apart from its corrupting influence on education and science:
Parents sue school board for teaching their daughter ‘girls are not real’

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2019/11/05/par ... -not-real/

But quite agree with “my craziness or else” – madder than hatters for the most part; very few exceptions. However, seems clear that “gender dysphoria” is more or less a real thing, even if existing on a wide spectrum. Many seem quite insistent – AKA, totally deluded – that they are actually members of the sex categories that they quite clearly aren’t. Interesting case in point here:
by Hacsi Horváth, MA, PgCert (Sheffield)

I am an adjunct Lecturer in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). ….
For about 13 years, I also masqueraded “as a woman,” taking medical measures which suggest, shall we say, that I was completely committed to that lifestyle. Most men would have recoiled from this, but in my estrogen-drug-soaked stupor it seemed like a good idea. In 2013 I stopped taking estrogen for health reasons and very rapidly came back to my senses. I ceased all effort to convey the impression that I was a woman and carried on with life.
https://4thwavenow.com/2018/12/19/the-t ... -identity/

And likewise quite agree with “certainly don’t believe we must dance to their tune”. Time to draw a line in the sand, time to read various transactivists and their fellow-travelers the Riot Act: the tide is turning. Maybe not yet the beginning of the end, but Shrier, Stock, and Joyce may mark, despite a few false notes, something in the way of a resounding end to the beginning. To coin a phrase … :)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Congrats to screwtape for holding firm on the anti-vaxx line... 7 months, 1 day, 22 hours, 57 minutes and 29 seconds of refusing to take the jab! :clap:

Looks like that was the smart move! Keep up the good work!

The governments can spend Billion$sss-- on propaganda ads, paid #influencers, door-to-door harasssment... trying to add you to their 'vaccinated' stats. Don't give in! Follow your own inner voice, and the advice of doctors you know and trust! If Fauci jumped off a bridge, some people would follow suit. Not you! :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute: :handgestures-salute:

Keep Your filthy mRNA Spike Proteins Off My Bone Marrow, amirite?!!!

https://media.patriots.win/post/Or2Ulqen.png

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

#iStandWithScrewtape

#LeaveScrewtapeAlone

#ScrewtapeShould-tooHaveAccessToChildren !

#RoamFreelyScrewtape !

#anti-VaxxersAreHumansWithHumanRights !

#HowDaaareYouObamaLady

https://media.patriots.win/post/8hQm8zUO.jpeg

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lsuoma wrote: ↑
Ruh roh!! Looks like the major study of ivermectin has faked numbers, plagiarized text, and dodgy ethical aspects:

https://grftr.news/why-was-a-major-stud ... retracted/

https://media.communities.win/post/CCXEUb32.jpeg

18 Oct 2020

An Antifa counter-protester in San Francisco knocked out the front teeth of a black man who organized the Free Speech Rally and Protest on Saturday. People in the crowd can be heard yelling racial slurs at the man.

Shortly before a Free Speech Rally and Protest in San Francisco, event organizer Philip Anderson can be seen in a video tweeted by Chester Belloc helping a white man walk through an angry counter-protest filled with Antifa anarchists. As they walk through the crowd, a man wearing all black (black bloc) comes up from behind Anderson and punches him in the face.

Anderson recoils from the hit and holds his ear and jaw. A few seconds later, the man moves in again and punches Anderson in the mouth — knocking out his two front teeth. A woman in the background can be heard taunting Anderson, yelling, “Cry about it. Cry about it.”

The predominantly white Antifa crowd can be heard screaming the “Nigger" multiple times as Anderson tries to escape the attack. Anderson and the white man he was protecting eventually climb over the police barricade and move to safety behind the police.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Hmm. I’d assumed Steers had carked it. Well I never.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The Carb Addiction Doc is good value.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I don't know why I'm taken-aback at how far Nate Silver has fallen.

I guess I have some emotional attachment to the idea-- that 'statistics-based contrarian guy' would be honor-bound to walk the tightrope of truth, not sell his name for cheap gain.

But-- looking back at his career-- Nate Silver has always operated like a Psychic Friend Astrologer To The Stars.

Has he EVER touted an inconvenient statistical conclusion, which didn't match the conclusion he was already-trying to sell ?!

Hey, Nate... THAT...is not an accurate summary of THIS:
Adam Kucharski
@AdamJKucharski
·
Jul 15
Still see 70% quoted as level of vaccination required for 'herd immunity'. Important to note it's now likely to be much higher. The standard (albeit rough) calculation for herd immunity threshold is (1/E) x (1-1/R) where E is vaccine effectiveness in reducing transmission... 1/

In scenario where R is 6 (plausible for Delta in susceptible populations without any restrictions), and vaccination reduces infection/infectiousness such that onwards transmission reduced by 85%, above calc suggests would need to vaccinate (1-1/6)/0.85 = 98% of population. 2/

If transmission reduction is less than this (which is likely the case for some vaccines against Delta), or R higher, then herd immunity wouldn't be achievable through current vaccines alone. This leads to three possibilities... 3/

If herd immunity through vaccination alone not possible, need to either: A) keep some control measures in place indefinitely, B) prepare for exit wave as measures relaxed, C) update what are already very good vaccines to be even more effective. 4/

We explored these ideas more in our (pre-Delta) paper earlier this year, with
@dchodgey
@markjit
@StfnFlsch
: https://eurosurveillance.org/content/10 ... 20.2100428 5/5

For avoidance of doubt – above calculations are for *otherwise fully susceptible population* :o (i.e. estimating effect of vaccination alone). In populations where there have been large epidemics, :oops: this accumulated immunity will reduce level of vaccination required to get R below 1." 5/5 :clap:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Signs and Portents (perhaps) for those that believe in such things...

(apologies if this has already been posted and I missed it - my ignore list being largely a wetware rather than a software function).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I see that a tranny has made the cover of SI swimsuit issue:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... here-else/

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Lsuoma wrote: I see that a tranny has made the cover of SI swimsuit issue:

It's their mission.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote: Hmm. I’d assumed Steers had carked it. Well I never.
:) Periodically feel as if I'm fading out of and fading back into "reality" - like Michael Fox in Back to the Future. But, as Mark Twain once said, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated".

But, as I mentioned above, I have generally been "rejuvenated", had my batteries recharged, by a couple of heavy hitters more or less endorsing my "thesis" - or consequential "theorem" - that some third of us are, in fact, sexless. Whole transgender clusterfuck turns on whether we, as a society, are going to endorse the scientific definition for the sexes, or the "patchwork definition of the social sciences" that is little short of outright Lysenkoism. Which is also, maybe arguably, where the rubber meets the road for many other social problems.

Interesting quote from Sagan's Demon-Haunted World - that I finally got around to reading - that underlines that more general problem:
But there's another reason: science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; ... when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.
That putting "what feels good" over "what's true" - or at least what's consistent with various scientific principles and definitions - is clearly the crux of the transgender issue. Part and parcel of the "tyranny of the subjective" that lawyer & philosophy prof Elizabeth Finne discussed in some detail at Quillette:

https://quillette.com/2018/03/19/the-ty ... ubjective/

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote: I see that a tranny has made the cover of SI swimsuit issue:

Male transvestite or sexless eunuch as the case may be depending whether they still have their nuts attached or not.

Interesting bit of the history of eunuchs here, particularly in Imperial China, that underlines the use of "sexless":

Hidden Power: The Palace Eunuchs of Imperial China

https://www.usrf.org/news/010308-hiddenpower.html

Maybe the Bruce Jenner cohort hope to find employment in the harems of Arabia.

In any case, like your updated masthead quote: "if thou gazest long into the Pit ..."

An amusing cartoon on the source I ran across awhile ago:

Memes_Abyss.jpg
(56.96 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
At least not too deeply ...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Looks more like a "hairy lasso" to me. Glad you see "you're "still "fond" of' quotation marks".

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:

I guess I have some emotional attachment to the idea-- that 'statistics-based contrarian guy' would be honor-bound to walk the tightrope of truth, not sell his name for cheap gain.

But-- looking back at his career-- Nate Silver has always operated like a Psychic Friend Astrologer To The Stars.

Has he EVER touted an inconvenient statistical conclusion, which didn't match the conclusion he was already-trying to sell ?!

Adam Kucharski
@AdamJKucharski
·
Jul 15
Still see 70% quoted as level of vaccination required for 'herd immunity'. Important to note it's now likely to be much higher. The standard (albeit rough) calculation for herd immunity threshold is (1/E) x (1-1/R) where E is vaccine effectiveness in reducing transmission... 1/

In scenario where R is 6 (plausible for Delta in susceptible populations without any restrictions), and vaccination reduces infection/infectiousness such that onwards transmission reduced by 85%, above calc suggests would need to vaccinate (1-1/6)/0.85 = 98% of population. 2/

If transmission reduction is less than this (which is likely the case for some vaccines against Delta), or R higher, then herd immunity wouldn't be achievable through current vaccines alone. This leads to three possibilities... 3/

If herd immunity through vaccination alone not possible, need to either: A) keep some control measures in place indefinitely, B) prepare for exit wave as measures relaxed, C) update what are already very good vaccines to be even more effective. 4/

We explored these ideas more in our (pre-Delta) paper earlier this year, with
@dchodgey
@markjit
@StfnFlsch
: https://eurosurveillance.org/content/10 ... 20.2100428 5/5

For avoidance of doubt – above calculations are for *otherwise fully susceptible population* :o (i.e. estimating effect of vaccination alone). In populations where there have been large epidemics, :oops: this accumulated immunity will reduce level of vaccination required to get R below 1." 5/5 :clap:
Silver has always been a charlatan. His baseball 'sabermetrics' were exposed as self-referential sleight-of-hand. So he moved over to political analysis where, by saying the things the Left wanted to believe were true, his junk analytics and dismal prognostic track record were shielded from scrutiny.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Lsuoma wrote: Looks more like a "hairy lasso" to me.
:) Eye of the beholder. A spiral galaxy?
Lsuoma wrote: Glad you see "you're "still "fond" of' quotation marks".
:) "Use-mention" dichotomy that I seem to recollect Benson usefully drawing attention to, lo these many years ago.

Of some relevance to "the N-word!!11!!" and the various uses and mentions of it. A tweet on the topic in my bookmarks:

Not sure if I more than skimmed McWhorter's Substack, but seems that both he & Liam Bright have something of a point. Neither blacks nor some of their "spokespeople" (AKA, grifters) like Ta-Nehisi Coates are doing themselves much of a favour by anathematizing the word - as you may recollect, part of my "thesis" going waay back ... ;)

Reminds me also of video from a protest - part of the riots surrounding January 6th? - in which some young black woman was swearing at a white woman, calling her a honky & trailer-trash if memory serves. After some provocation the white woman finally had had enough and called the black woman a nigger. Shocked silence, storming off in huff, knickers in a twist.

No doubt many blacks have some cause for peevishness or anger at America's history of slavery. Although I doubt many American blacks wish that their ancestors had been left in Africa. But many are also part of the problem, that "anathematization" contributing to it.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Service Dog wrote:

<snippety do-dah>

Silver has always been a charlatan. His baseball 'sabermetrics' were exposed as self-referential sleight-of-hand. So he moved over to political analysis where, by saying the things the Left wanted to believe were true, his junk analytics and dismal prognostic track record were shielded from scrutiny.
Silver is the dude behind the 538 polling group? How did they call the last election?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: Silver is the dude behind the 538 polling group? How did they call the last election?
For Biden, so wrong.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

No, seriously, 538 had FL a solid Biden win, and TX, OH and IA as toss-ups.

https://www.270towin.com/maps/fivethirt ... n-forecast

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman wrote: Silver is the dude behind the 538 polling group? How did they call the last election?
Yeah Silver = 538. Despite the huge failure of pollsters in 2016 to predict Trump's win... 538 was all-too-willing to accept pollsters saying Trump was down-by-12-points in many contested states in 2020.

My lasting impression of how 538 performed-- as I followed their live-blogging & video talk clips-- was that they seemed to have a "use-mention" problem regarding Trump.

They couldn't simply 'mention' anything which seemed favorable to Trump/ without their audience and colleagues mistaking that for an endorsement of the eeevil Trump. Imagine how annoying a tv weatherman would be-- if he constantly reminded you that he doesn't Approve Of the 40%-chance-of-rain he's predicting. And rolled his eyes at the rain for its pathetic 40% odds.

Later-- listening to others who I-thought were outside-of having to declare allegiance to either Dems or GOP-- who nonetheless sprinkled their monologues with oddly-out-of-place jabs at Trump-- I realized there's a loose 'club' of the right-kind-of-people in D.C. And even-those who are not Dems... feel compelled to demonstrate that they're still members-in-good-standing of the right-kind-of-people club. Not down on the lower social level with the My Pillow guy or... gawd forbid... the kind of people who enjoy Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris movies. And so... another example... the Reason Magazine editors podcast was a group of Libertarians who still want to be welcome in in their social circles & displayed Trump Derangement Syndrome when it would have been cooler to stay cool about it.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
screwtape wrote: (though the ignore function has made it tolerable).
You mean, like, CNN?
Keep yer knickers on, it's not you being ignored. Though I am entirely happy to agree that CNN has long ago confused and obfuscated the desirable separation between news and opinion.

And talking of the peculiar rules for using the n-word, I don't think anyone here has brought up the recent poorly-resolved case of Wendy Mesley. She was a journalist with the CBC, who had a black underling insulted with the epithet, and she wanted to make a fuss about it, including reporting it on air. In describing to her producers what had happened to her associate, she quoted the insult in full. And now she has lost her job after ~40 years at the CBC, just because she quoted the insult in full in a private meeting when trying to defend her associate against such racial abuse. This is madness.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman wrote: my "thesis" - or consequential "theorem" - that some third of us are, in fact, sexless.
I think your thesis is insane.

One sex 'produce ova' and the other sex 'produce sperm'. Fine. But you have added an invisible extra word, not in the previous definition: "recently".

So menopause or castration or pre-pubescence remove individuals from the sex binary? Following your definition would be an idiotic catastrophe when sorting baby chickens for agriculture. Neither M nor F, all would be eunuchs. Go contemplate the spinning dancer, chicken-sorter!
(Until the chicken-sorter re-introduces sanity by sorting future-M from future-F chickens.)

Following your definition would be an idiotic catastrophe for many human endeavors, as well. Who shall we ask questions-- to learn about the experience of being-pregnant and giving-birth? Oh look-- a bunch of undifferentiated eunuchs over there! Nevermind which ones gave birth to 5 children each, and which lost their testicles to cancer. They're all the same.

When cryogenic sleep becomes available-- it will be so easy to label all the freeze-chambers 'Eunuch', as production of sperm & ova are temporarily halted.

And yet.

I fully endorse the Steersman school of Critical Gender Studies as the only form of gender mumbo-jumbo which should be taught in higher ed.

Confronted with a curriculum consisting soley of your verbosity-- would be a nice wet slap in the face with a dead fish-- for anyone considering a vocation in Today's Fashionable Gender Nonsense. Anyone who did not immediately recognize that they were devoting themselves to a futile and silly pursuit-- would deserve every bit of the life-sentence of gibberish they'd impose on themselves.

Please understand that I only 'mention' the above facts. Which does not necessarily imply that I 'use' those facts to reflect-poorly on you.

I regret the time Lsuoma asked whether you should be banned from the Pit, and I opined that you should. I don't know your motives for being the way you are, Steersman. But I welcome your brain-melting caustic secretions. I suspect, in the end, they make the world a better place.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I wonder if screwtape still believes the Hunter Biden laptop isn't real.

I wonder if screwtape still believes that reporting of Covid deaths was accurate.

I wonder if screwtape still thinks Trump accusing Biden of corruption in Ukraine-- is 'projection', and we should assume Trump is one guilty of Ukraine wrongdoing.

John D

Post by John D »

Haha... Steers is back. I can picture "it" pounding out pedantic prose... flames coming from the keyboard.

Pondering.... "Am I still a male? Perhaps? How would I know?" "I think I had better get my sperm tested." "As long as I have at least one active sperm I can tell everyone I am male." "BUT... the day I have no active sperm I am an it." AND I STAND BY THIS! Call me "it"!

Haha.

What a glorious waist of effort. But... still glorious in its absurdity.

Steer on great steersman... steer on!

John D

Post by John D »

My view on Nate Silver... if anyone even cares. I read his book called something like "Noise and Signal" or something. Look it up if you want. It is a pretty good book in my view and you really should read it if you want to understand Nate Silver. If you don't want to understand him then don't read his book. I really don't fucking care. But, I dare say, I am probably the only pitter who has actually read it.

So, What Nate did that was remarkable was calling the second Obama election PERFECTLY. He called the election by county and got it almost perfectly correct. He did this by recording the accuracy of specific polls over time and then adjusting them for their errors. He aggregated these polls and made a very good match to voting probability. BAM! The win of a lifetime.

But, with the Trump election this process went wrong. He still predicted Trump had a chance of winning (20% or something... if I remember right). He never said Trump couldn't win.... only that he was less likely to win. The issue is that the polling went off the rails in the Trump election. Many polls became "push polls" and many people were lying or just not taking the polls in the same way. So, the model Nate had for correlating the poll results went wrong.

I don't blame him for his Trump prediction. He had a process and he followed it.

However... I will say... I don't follow him at all anymore. Once his polling model went wrong he has been pretty useless. I used to check his blog everyday, and now I have completely dropped him. I find no value in 538 these days.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: What Nate did that was remarkable was calling the second Obama election PERFECTLY.
true
John D wrote: He still predicted Trump had a chance of winning (20% or something... if I remember right). He never said Trump couldn't win
also true... and it made him look a lot more sane than the NYTimes saying Trump had-- what was it?-- a 2% chance in 2016.
John D wrote: I used to check his blog everyday, and now I have completely dropped him.
same.

I will say-- Silver's recent Twitter feed regarding spread of Covid, Variants, and the Clotshots... contains a lot of interesting stats.

I think Silver starts with the conclusions he seeks-- then interprets to his pre-determined conclusion. But the numbers he's working-with are interesting & he provides enough data-- that others can draw differing conclusions from it. Better than most fact & data -free reporting.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Rand Paul faces Fauci and says Fauci lied to Congress-- to cover-up Fauci's role in killing 4.5 million people.

Fauci responds like a little bitch.

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: Rand Paul faces Fauci and says Fauci lied to Congress-- to cover-up Fauci's role in killing 4.5 million people.

Fauci responds like a little bitch.

Haha. Rand Paul fries that little worm.... and Fauci is the "Humanist of the Year" at AHA. Fucking clown world.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
Yeah Silver = 538. Despite the huge failure of pollsters in 2016 to predict Trump's win... 538 was all-too-willing to accept pollsters saying Trump was down-by-12-points in many contested states in 2020.
Not just the pollsters – as you suggested, journalism in general, if not the whole political system. A quote from a 2016 Observer article:
We still don’t know the outcome of the 2016 election, in which our “democratic process” has produced two candidates widely despised by the American people, but we do know the race’s biggest loser: reporters and the profession of journalism, which has been reduced to surrogacy, largely on behalf of Hillary Clinton.

Before going further, let me state that my own politics are on the left but I won’t be voting in this election. Both parties have collaborated to rig the system so that’s it’s virtually impossible for an independent candidate to compete given the financial and institutional hurdles that have been put in place to block such a possibility. We live in an oligarchy where democracy is virtually meaningless; I’m not debasing myself by participating in this charade.
https://observer.com/2016/11/this-elect ... ournalism/

Seem to recollect that in 2016, just prior to or shortly after the election, I had more or less argued here that Trump was something of a bull in a china shop but that some “crockery” clearly needed breaking. And that it was up in the air whether the cure would be worse than the disease.

But have to admit I was rather disappointed in him that he turned out to be more of a grifter and carpet-bagger than reformer, far closer to an anti-scientific & anti-intellectual clown than anything close to a “philosopher-king”; he could have been a contender.

Still think he at least drew attention – directly or indirectly, inadvertently or not – to some quite serious problems – a great many of them on the Left. Moot if not a stretch whether the Democrats have a hope in hell of rectifying any of them. But a case in point:
How I Left Academia, or, How Academia Left Me Dr. Michael Robillard
“Universities are madrassas for woke stupidity.” -James Delingpole

Now, after a decade of being within the ivory tower, of seeing how the sausage is made and witnessing first-hand the business that academia really is, I’ve determined, quite sadly, that the discipline of academic Philosophy, and the university system more generally, has become little more than an indoctrination center for ‘woke’ leftist ideology and the antithesis of its original aim and purpose. ….
https://michaelrobillard.substack.com/p ... w-academia

Of particular note is Menken’s quip, “it is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.” Nature of the beast is that pretty much all of us have bills to pay – the “grim meat-hook realities” of John D. MacDonald – which tends to detract from our abilities to be honest.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

screwtape wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: ...
You mean, like, CNN?
Keep yer knickers on, it's not you being ignored. Though I am entirely happy to agree that CNN has long ago confused and obfuscated the desirable separation between news and opinion.

And talking of the peculiar rules for using the n-word, I don't think anyone here has brought up the recent poorly-resolved case of Wendy Mesley. She was a journalist with the CBC, who had a black underling insulted with the epithet, and she wanted to make a fuss about it, including reporting it on air. In describing to her producers what had happened to her associate, she quoted the insult in full. And now she has lost her job after ~40 years at the CBC, just because she quoted the insult in full in a private meeting when trying to defend her associate against such racial abuse. This is madness.
"poorly-resolved case of Wendy Mesley" and "madness" indeed. A rather decidedly black mark against CBC.

Something of a relevant quote from Sagan's Demon-Haunted World:
Friedrich von Spee (pronounced 'Shpay') was a Jesuit priest who had the misfortune to hear the confessions of those accused of witchcraft in the German city of Wurzburg (see Chapter 7). In 1631, he published Cautio Criminalis (Precautions for Prosecutors), which exposed the essence of this Church/State terrorism against the innocent. Before he was punished he died of the plague - as a parish priest serving the afflicted. Here is an excerpt from his whistle-blowing book:

1 Incredibly among us Germans, and especially (I am ashamed to say) among Catholics, are popular superstitions, envy, calumnies, backbiting, insinuations, and the like, which, being neither punished nor refuted, stir up suspicion of witchcraft. No longer God or nature, but witches are responsible for everything. ....

9. If a madman's ravings or some malicious and idle rumour (for no proof of the scandal is ever needed) points to some helpless old woman, she is the first to suffer.

10. Yet to avoid the appearance that she is indicted solely on the basis of rumour, without other proofs, a certain presumption of guilt is obtained by posing the following dilemma: either she has led an evil and improper life, or she has led a good and proper one. If an evil one, then she should be guilty. On the other hand, if she has led a good life, this is just as damning; for witches dissemble and try to appear especially virtuous. ....
Rather characteristic of "cancel culture". The more things change ...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Steersman wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Hmm. I’d assumed Steers had carked it. Well I never.
:) Periodically feel as if I'm fading out of and fading back into "reality" - like Michael Fox in Back to the Future. But, as Mark Twain once said, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated".

But, as I mentioned above, I have generally been "rejuvenated", had my batteries recharged, by a couple of heavy hitters more or less endorsing my "thesis" - or consequential "theorem" - that some third of us are, in fact, sexless. Whole transgender clusterfuck turns on whether we, as a society, are going to endorse the scientific definition for the sexes, or the "patchwork definition of the social sciences" that is little short of outright Lysenkoism. Which is also, maybe arguably, where the rubber meets the road for many other social problems.

Interesting quote from Sagan's Demon-Haunted World - that I finally got around to reading - that underlines that more general problem:
But there's another reason: science is more than a body of knowledge; it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time - when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; ... when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.
That putting "what feels good" over "what's true" - or at least what's consistent with various scientific principles and definitions - is clearly the crux of the transgender issue. Part and parcel of the "tyranny of the subjective" that lawyer & philosophy prof Elizabeth Finne discussed in some detail at Quillette:

“ But what is truth?
Is truth a changing law?
We both have truths.
Are mine the same as yours? “

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Service Dog wrote:
Steersman wrote: my "thesis" - or consequential "theorem" - that some third of us are, in fact, sexless.
I think your thesis is insane.
Hardly just my thesis. It’s the standard biological definition that, as Helen Joyce pointed out, “holds across ALL of biology”:
You might reflect on Arthur Conan Doyle’s, “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”
Service Dog wrote: One sex 'produce ova' and the other sex 'produce sperm'. Fine. But you have added an invisible extra word, not in the previous definition: "recently".
What “previous definition”? Where did I say “recently”?

What I said was, “produces ova” and “produces sperm” – present tense indefinite:
The simple present is a verb tense with two main uses. We use the simple present tense when an action is happening right now, or when it happens regularly (or unceasingly, which is why it’s sometimes called present indefinite).
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/simple-present/

For the prepubescent, the “action” isn’t happening at all; for menopausees & previously male eunuchs, it used to be happening but no longer is; for women, it “happens regularly” (once a month); for men, “Testes produce 200 to 300 million spermatozoa daily”, although the Wikipedia article (spermatogenesis) says the entire process takes some 74 days from the delivery of “raw materials” to finished product coming off the production line.

Generally speaking, many definitions are such that the presence of a function is an essential property. For clocks, that essential property is the ability to tell time; a mechanical "clock" with its mainspring removed no longer qualifies as such - it is only, at best, nominally a clock, for reference purposes only. Jenner isn't a woman because he looks like one - if one was blind or drunk - but because he's missing the essential property, the functional process of being able to produce ova.
Service Dog wrote: So menopause or castration or pre-pubescence remove individuals from the sex binary?
Try thinking that binaries aren’t necessarily exhaustive. IF there were only two religions – Islam & Christianity – THEN religion would be a binary. But atheists are then outside that binary; they’re “religion-less”. See a passage from the Aeon article by Paul Griffiths (co-author of Genetics & Philosophy):
Aeon_Griffiths_ExistenceOfSex_1B.jpg
(206.77 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Note the "neither male nor female", AKA, "sexless".
Service Dog wrote: (Until the chicken-sorter re-introduces sanity by sorting future-M from future-F chickens.)
By George, I think you’ve got it! ;)

Baby chickens aren’t “sorted” by their current sex, but by their probable eventual sex. As the criteria for using segregated toilets isn’t whether we’re fertile but whether we’re “penis-havers” or “vagina-havers”. Or reasonable facsimiles thereof.

Genitalia are just proxies for our sexes, they are ONLY traits that tend to correlate strongly with “the variable in question” (functional gonads) but they aren't proof of the presence of that particular "variable":
In statistics, a proxy or proxy variable is a variable that is not in itself directly relevant, but that serves in place of an unobservable or immeasurable variable.[1] In order for a variable to be a good proxy, it must have a close correlation, not necessarily linear, with the variable of interest. This correlation might be either positive or negative.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_(statistics)
Service Dog wrote: Confronted with a curriculum consisting solely of your verbosity …
Devil’s in the details. Rather profoundly “anti-intellectual and anti-scientific” – a charge leveled, with some justification, against most feminists – to refuse to deal with them.
Service Dog wrote: Which does not necessarily imply that I 'use' those facts to reflect-poorly on you.
Heaven forefend … ;)
Service Dog wrote: I regret the time Lsuoma asked whether you should be banned from the Pit, and I opined that you should.
Well, I should hope so. Say two ave marias and call me in the morning …
Service Dog wrote: I don't know your motives for being the way you are, Steersman.
Good question – don’t really know for sure myself. Horatio at the Bridge, the 300 at Thermopylae, Margaret Mead’s, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”

Arguably, Western Civilization is hanging in the balance. The profoundly unscientific claptrap of gender ideology – and its handmaidens, the sex-is-a-spectrum, and "structure-absent-function" “hypotheses” of various Lysenkoists like PZ & Colin Wright – is one of the main places where the rubber meets the road, where taking a stand can have far-reaching effects.
Service Dog wrote: But I welcome your brain-melting caustic secretions. I suspect, in the end, they make the world a better place.
:)
Quotes_JBS_Haldane_Acceptance_Stages2A.jpg
(82.77 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
;)

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog wrote: brain-melting caustic secretions
Now there's a death-metal band name!

https://analyticsindiamag.com/wp-conten ... o1_500.gif

\m/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote: And talking of the peculiar rules for using the n-word, I don't think anyone here has brought up the recent poorly-resolved case of Wendy Mesley. She was a journalist with the CBC, who had a black underling insulted with the epithet, and she wanted to make a fuss about it, including reporting it on air. In describing to her producers what had happened to her associate, she quoted the insult in full. And now she has lost her job after ~40 years at the CBC, just because she quoted the insult in full in a private meeting when trying to defend her associate against such racial abuse. This is madness.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I’m impressed with Steers post.

Assuming of course that it was composed on a mobile phone.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: So, What Nate did that was remarkable was calling the second Obama election PERFECTLY. He called the election by county and got it almost perfectly correct. He did this by recording the accuracy of specific polls over time and then adjusting them for their errors. He aggregated these polls and made a very good match to voting probability. BAM! The win of a lifetime.
No, Nate was provided the Obama campaign's internal polling results.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:
Steersman wrote:
<snip>

“But what is truth?
Is truth a changing law?
We both have truths.
Thank you Pontius Pilate ... ;) Although I think you're shading over into postmodernism where any "narrative" is as good as any other one. You seriously think that that is the case?

But that's why I qualified the quote of Sagan with "or at least what's consistent with various scientific principles and definitions": do the biological definitions stipulate that to have a sex is to be able to reproduce, to produce sperm or ova for reproduction or not?

Are they not the ones that most credible dictionaries endorse?

Oxford_Definitions_SexCategoryMaleFemale1A.jpg
(151.12 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

Many definitions - at least those in a mathematical, scientific, or philosophical context - are stipulative definitions:
A stipulative definition is a type of definition in which a new or currently existing term is given a new specific meaning for the purposes of argument or discussion in a given context. When the term already exists, this definition may, but does not necessarily, contradict the dictionary (lexical) definition of the term. Because of this, a stipulative definition cannot be "correct" or "incorrect"; it can only differ from other definitions, but it can be useful for its intended purpose. ....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stipulative_definition

Though clearly, the stipulative definitions of biology are entirely consistent with - virtually identical to - the "lexical definitions of the terms".

But that is similar or analogous to how we stipulate that the "right" side of the road to drive on is the right-hand side - except in "uncivilized" backwaters like Britain, Australia & India .... ;) There's no "truth" to one or the other - that rule wasn't in one of the tablets Moses brought down from Mt. Sinai: we SAY one or the other is the law. It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference one way or the other - maybe there are fewer accidents with left-hand traffic? But is it "true" or not that chaos would likely ensue if we didn't agree on one (exclusive) OR the other?

Likewise with the stipulative definitions of biology: profoundly and fundamentally essential to the whole corpus and principles of biology. A famous biologist, Theodosius Dobzhansky, argued that “Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution". And a corollary to that might be that nothing in evolution makes sense except in light of reproduction: no reproduction, no evolution. More or less in any case.

But that those definitions aren't particularly useful for "social justice purposes", for the gatekeeping role it has been pressed into performing, should not mean that we have to bastardize and corrupt fundamental science on which all of our lives depend - Lysenkoism writ large to do so:
Aeon_Griffiths_ExistenceOfSex_6A.jpg
(155.35 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
One of the most problematic aspects of the whole transgender clusterfuck is that far too many are trying to shoehorn the social justice foot into the glass slipper of biology - so to speak ;) . Cripples social justice, and shatters biology beyond repair or use. "Tragic mistake", indeed.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote:
“But what is truth?
Is truth a changing law?
We both have truths.
Thank you Pontius Pilate ... ;)
Only Andrew Lloyd Weber show that didn't suck.

I very much like this version of Pilate. Bowie was always a fine actor. And Scorsese's cinematography in that film was luscious.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Steersman wrote: ....
https://slymepit.com/phpbb/download/file.php?id=6615

The simple present is a verb tense with two main uses. We use the simple present tense when an action is happening right now, or when it happens regularly (or unceasingly, which is why it’s sometimes called present indefinite).
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/simple-present/

For the prepubescent, the “action” isn’t happening at all; for menopausees & previously male eunuchs, it used to be happening but no longer is; for women, it “happens regularly” (once a month); for men, “Testes produce 200 to 300 million spermatozoa daily”, although the Wikipedia article (spermatogenesis) says the entire process takes some 74 days from the delivery of “raw materials” to finished product coming off the production line.

Generally speaking, many definitions are such that the presence of a function is an essential property....

Perfect! Wonderful! Excellent. As I said, every gender studies department should have a Room 101. And inside should lurk Steersman as the Nurse Ratched, the final boss, the Central Scrutinizer, the 'Neo' of the Daleks.

But you shouldn't be allowed near Beavers. Because "Beavers build dams." The wikipedia entry for "phenotype" says so! But you would soon discover a layabout invasive species had infiltrated the Beaver population. Mysterious creatures like-a-beaver-in-every-way, except they were not building dams at the moment you observed them. Implying a whole world of Schrodinger's Beavers who may-or-may-not be Beavers, depending on whether you were observing them Being Beavers according to Dalek Grammar. Ex-term-in-ate! Ex-TERM-in-ate!
....Generally speaking, many definitions are such that the presence of a function is an essential property. For clocks, that essential property is the ability to tell time; a mechanical "clock" with its mainspring removed no longer qualifies as such - it is only, at best, nominally a clock, for reference purposes only.
I concur! If I should ever encounter a warehouse full of clock-like entities, some not currently telling time due to winding-down, some missing batteries, some with an Off-switch engaged, and some telling time perfectly...

I'll be sure to only refer to those as "clocks" in a referring-to-them sense. I'll only name or nominate them to be clocks in a nominal nominative sense.

And I'll only call them 'clocks' using definitions from the specific-type of Dictionaries containing the specific-type of Words which are used to refer-to things. I'll not-use any Dictionaries which are full of definitions-&-words-which-we-don't~use-to-call-stuff-stuff.

Same with a room full of so-called "female" humans, young and old. I will only use Dictionaries written in the Future or Past tense, rather than any Dictionaries Written in the Present tense.

By the way, an "apple" is not a firm, rounded, edible fruit. No! An apple is ONLY the tree which bears that fruit!

Lastly: Menopausee is not a valid Scrabble word:

https://1word.ws/menopausee

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I very much like this version of Pilate. Bowie was always a fine actor. And Scorsese's cinematography in that film was luscious.
I like your cameo at 3min21sec

https://youtu.be/XWuN3baaui8?t=201

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Senator: is the S1 spike protein on the Coronavirus identical to the S1 spike protein used in this lab experiment you funded?

Indignant Fauci: I demand you ask the question with precise citations of what you're referring-to!

Senator: ok.

Indignant Fauci: That's irrelevant!

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Service Dog wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:25 pm
Later-- listening to others who I-thought were outside-of having to declare allegiance to either Dems or GOP-- who nonetheless sprinkled their monologues with oddly-out-of-place jabs at Trump-- I realized there's a loose 'club' of the right-kind-of-people in D.C. And even-those who are not Dems... feel compelled to demonstrate that they're still members-in-good-standing of the right-kind-of-people club. Not down on the lower social level with the My Pillow guy or... gawd forbid... the kind of people who enjoy Steven Seagal and Chuck Norris movies. And so... another example... the Reason Magazine editors podcast was a group of Libertarians who still want to be welcome in in their social circles & displayed Trump Derangement Syndrome when it would have been cooler to stay cool about it.
A phenomenon also contaminating the legal profession, or so I hear. One of the reasons why you get unexpectedly perverse rulings from certain "conservative-leaning" judges. They have to decide how to balance their career/social interests and principles because one of them has to suffer. The effect amongst lawyers can be seen in the trouble Jan 6th "insurrectionists" can have in finding good legal representation, a big problem given that some of them have been in jail for months for what amounts to little more than trespass. People who found a building unguarded and just calmly wandered around a bit have been treated as terrorists because the administration finds it useful to do so and they get away with it because there appear to be an awful lot of ostensibly traditional lefties who cannot differentiate between actual right wing conspiracy nutbaggery and the bleeding obvious.

I give up, who enjoys Steven Seagal movies? The narcissistic stench is overpowering. Chuck I can understand, even if he's a bit one-dimensional. I feel compelled to mention that Jean-Claude looks like he's made of plastic and his movies are similarly emotionally sterile.