In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Old subthreads
CaptainFluffyBunny

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

SM1957 wrote:Will I become a white supremacist, a fascist, or merely a racist, if I learn 'The Yellow Rose of Texas' on the piano? It is the next page in my beginner's book.
Merely a racist. It's classical music, with discipline and place in Western civilization that is white supremacist. Unless you are advancing the ludicrous claim that Beethoven is black, then it is acceptable to listen to and enjoy.

Our school district actually lost the chance to work with an accomplished cellist, as there was backlash against the "overwhelmingly white" music, although nearly half of the advanced orchestra is Korean heritage.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Stankeye wrote:
I need to understand why the British have slang terms for a pedophile? I'm not aware of any slang terms used in the US, at least in my upbringing. Do the Brits have a lot of Nonces that they need a lot of slang terms?
As a counter point - I think the term 'Short Eyes' is American in origin.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Stankeye wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote: Right let me explain.
Firstly Bonce is British slang for the head, mainly used in southern England but often found in other parts of the UK.

Second. Nonce is British slang for a paedophile, origins are probably again from southern England or London and is prison slang for a kiddie fiddler and can also be used to describe a sexual abuser. These prisoners are normally kept on a separated wing of a prison 'Nonces Wing' for their own protection.

Third. 'Bacon Bonce' is Cockney rhyming slang (a Cockney is someone from London, specifically the east end) originally meaning Bacon Head = someone who was pig headed or stubborn.
Because Bonce also rhymes with Nonce it has changed in recent years to.mean a paedo.
Cockney rhyming slang often does that, for example the term 'Scooby-Doo' which is slang for "I haven't got a clue" is widely used now instead of the older used 'Danny La Rue' (Danny La Rue was a famous drag queen in the UK)

So to sum up .. 'Bacon Bonce' = 'Nonce' which is slang for a paedophile.

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/sl ... on_bonce_3
I need to understand why the British have slang terms for a pedophile? I'm not aware of any slang terms used in the US, at least in my upbringing. Do the Brits have a lot of Nonces that they need a lot of slang terms?
A huge amount of slang derives from criminal codes. Rhyming slang from prison, Thieves' Cant, Polari and Gypsy/Traveller slang.
Nonce is fairly modern, but could possibly be a derivation of ponce, which is another name for a pimp.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Lsuoma wrote:One of our long-time cats died today at 13. We are heartbroken - she was family.
So sorry. Was it the one with lymphoma?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

...when I say it comes from criminal code, I mean these were once coded languages used by criminals, not just mere slang that everybody knew.

Stankeye

Post by Stankeye »

MarcusAu wrote:
Stankeye wrote:
Never heard it before you posted it. Maybe it's just my background that is leaving me 'Short' on colorful slang.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Stankeye wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Never heard it before you posted it. Maybe it's just my background that is leaving me 'Short' on colorful slang.
I read it in an Elmore Leonard book - maybe 'Stick'

Really?

Post by Really? »

Can someone help me work through this?

We have Boy Scouts.

We have Girl Scouts.

Now girls are going to be admitted to Boy Scouts.

But boys can't join Girl Scouts.

What's the rationale?
Boy Scouts to admit girls into programs
The Boy Scouts of America will now allow girls to join the organization, the group announced Wednesday.

The organization’s board of directors unanimously voted to let girls into the Cub Scout program and create a program for older girls to allow them to become Eagle Scouts, their highest rank, the group said in a release.

Girls will be allowed to join the Cub Scouts in 2018, and the program for Eagle Scouts is projected to begin in 2019, according to the release. Cub Scout dens will each remain single-gender, either all-girls or all-boys.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... o-programs

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The Boy Scouts of America are currently in a period of transition.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Stankeye wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:
Stankeye wrote:

According to the urban dictionary short eyes is prison slang. In Canada, at least at one time "skin beefer" was prison slang for sex offender.
In more common usage; kiddy diddler, baby fucker.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

"Scott" or "Scottish" used to be prison slang for somebody with a really miserable temper.

Whats that all about Bhurzum?

free thoughtpolice

Tigzy wrote:
Another piece of Shane Meadows quality is Dead Man's Shoes. Considine just owns this, throughout.
Just watched the movie, surprisingly free in Canada on Youtube. Heavy duty stuff.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
According to the urban dictionary short eyes is prison slang. In Canada, at least at one time "skin beefer" was prison slang for sex offender.
Welcome to the Crazy World of Arthur Brown...

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Also, "chester". An older friend of a friend was named Chester & was regularly teased about it.

"Cho-mo" is a prison slang term. I had a friend who used to sing a reworked version of Warren Zevon's "Carmelita", retitled "Chomolita".

Really?

Post by Really? »

Uh oh, Affleck. They're dredging it all up.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Nonce is in fairly common use around the UK to describe a paedophile, as Vicky said it probably derives from the term ponce (pimp)
Most people though will refer to a paedophile as a paedophile or the shorter paedo.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Really? wrote:Can someone help me work through this?

We have Boy Scouts.

We have Girl Scouts.

What's the rationale?
The Boy Scouts of America will now allow girls to join the organization, the group announced Wednesday.

The organization’s board of directors unanimously voted to let girls into the Cub Scout program and create a program for older girls to allow them to become Eagle Scouts, their highest rank, the group said in a release.

Girls will be allowed to join the Cub Scouts in 2018, and the program for Eagle Scouts is projected to begin in 2019, according to the release. Cub Scout dens will each remain single-gender, either all-girls or all-boys.
Girls need access to every possible advantage, thus they need entry to male events, but the reverse is "what about the menz" and only eligible for sneering derisively. This is the egalitarian ideals of feminism in action. Men falling behind women in college, high suicide rates and other bad outcome events are male toxicity, but anything less than equal outcomes in STEM, managerial and politics is a clear case of sexism, again men's fault. Women really seem to have no agency at all in feminism.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

MarcusAu wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
Welcome to the Crazy World of Arthur Brown...

Like the girl in a café in Rickmansworth from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I have suddenly realized what's going on. We are living in a computer simulation programmed by Chris Morris. It all makes sense now.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:One of our long-time cats died today at 13. We are heartbroken - she was family.
So sorry. Was it the one with lymphoma?
It was not. That one has started putting on weight again. Go figure.

Really?

Post by Really? »

The University of Michigan is hosting Charles Murray. For some reason, they are allowing protesters to act like little children. I would like the police to arrest all of the people who are acting like children.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Really? wrote:The University of Michigan is hosting Charles Murray. For some reason, they are allowing protesters to act like little children. I would like the police to arrest all of the people who are acting like children.
I wonder if they would learn if all their events were disrupted in the same way, or if they would scream that they are being silenced and bemoan the oppression of it all? While they have little self-awareness, it might sink in after a while. Maybe.

Really?

Post by Really? »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Really? wrote:The University of Michigan is hosting Charles Murray. For some reason, they are allowing protesters to act like little children. I would like the police to arrest all of the people who are acting like children.
I wonder if they would learn if all their events were disrupted in the same way, or if they would scream that they are being silenced and bemoan the oppression of it all? While they have little self-awareness, it might sink in after a while. Maybe.
Whatever you do, don't chuckle at this response to the above tweet.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

shoutinghorse wrote:Nonce is in fairly common use around the UK to describe a paedophile, as Vicky said it probably derives from the term ponce (pimp)
Most people though will refer to a paedophile as a paedophile or the shorter paedo.
Back in the Seventies there was an organisation called the Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE) based in the U.K. It was affiliated with the National Council for Civil Liberties, now known as Liberty. They had a lot of support from mainstream politicians and the clergy.

Other than that I never heard the word 'paedophile'. It was always 'child molesters', 'nonces' or the more generic 'perv'.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Shatterface wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Even "casual racism and sexism" are acceptable when employed in the defense of The Correct Opinion.

Well done, Meyers, proving once again that you have zero honor, pride, self-respect or worth.

https://i.imgur.com/amVzHe5.png
Eminem, who spends most of his life surrounded by black people, needs schooling by Mr Whitey McWhiteface from the white side of Whiteville.
Keith Jarrett sort of looks black but is actually white. Ornette Coleman once told him, "Man, you've got to be black." Jarrett responded, "I know. I know. I'm working on it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPgEoDt_Duc&t=191s

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

We have Boy Scouts.

We have Girl Scouts.

What's the rationale?

I've heard it's because they're desperate for members, and that the Girl Scouts are pissed.

Barbie's Boyfriend

Post by Barbie's Boyfriend »

VickyCaramel wrote:
SM1957 wrote:Will I become a white supremacist, a fascist, or merely a racist, if I learn 'The Yellow Rose of Texas' on the piano? It is the next page in my beginner's book.
You need to play it on the fiddle while chewing tobacco.

Mixing up your stereotypes ?

Guest_09522ed6

Post by Guest_09522ed6 »

Girls need access to every possible advantage, thus they need entry to male events, but the reverse is "what about the menz" and only eligible for sneering derisively. This is the egalitarian ideals of feminism in action. Men falling behind women in college, high suicide rates and other bad outcome events are male toxicity, but anything less than equal outcomes in STEM, managerial and politics is a clear case of sexism, again men's fault. Women really seem to have no agency at all in feminism.
Okay, so don't get me wrong, I am certain Dinah Davis is a wonderful mother and has and will have a wonderful relationship with her daughter, but if you read the article she wrote at Medium, well, it really sounds like what she is setting up is a STEM re-education camp for girls (especially her daughter) and that when her daughter rebels and becomes something non STEMMY that Dinah is going to consider herself a failure.

code.likeagirl io/girls-need-role-models-bef0998fd71e
I often get asked how we are going to fix the gender inequality problem in tech. This is a huge, complicated, multi-faceted problem. That needs to be worked on from many sides to effect change. However, I do believe there is one thing we can do that might just get us over the tipping point.

Role Models.
Modeling STEM.
In every single part of girl’s lives.

This is what I have worked hard to do for my daughter and I think it is working. Time will tell if I am right, but there are glimmers of hope and because of this I want to share my approach, in case, just maybe, this is the thing that tips the balance.

The STEM Cliff

My daughter is approaching the edge of the STEM Cliff. She is starting to enter the time in a girl’s life when how she is perceived by her peers becomes the most important thing in her world. This is also the time when girls begin to form their identity as women. It is important to girls at this age to feel liked and part of a group. It becomes can be more important to adopt an identity that is perceived as “female” than to follow their own interests. Just as this social shift is happening we are also seeing girls move away from STEM subjects.
The STEM cliff, shown above, indicates that girls move away from STEM subjects between the ages of 12 and 17. One conjecture is that computing and more widely STEM subjects are viewed as uncool, or not part of female identity and seen as a major contributing factor to them choosing to move away from STEM subjects.

So how do we change this?
What follows is paragraph and paragraph of the girls STEM re-education camp syllabus.

--------------------------------------

BONUS: Cute girl comes out as non-binary as if that's any sort of brave daring act in 2017, says her "pronouns are" something/something/spawn

medium com/@edenthecat/i-came-out-as-non-binary-a-year-ago-here-is-my-experience-177f74fc553e
I’m a programmer, and a musician. Both of these spaces are highly dominated by cis men, and as such my identity was outwardly enforced regularly. Frequently being the only “woman” on a team or on a stage often meant that my peers would strictly see me as “the girl guitarist” or “the girl programmer” or “the person we should ask to organize our panel about being a woman in tech”. As I started to find communities where this wasn’t the case, I started being able to come to terms with who I was without the external pressures of living up to an identity that was outlined for me.

After returning from my first cross-Canada tour, an experience that helped me find those communities, I posted on social media asking people to refer to me with gender neutral pronouns. I was in the process of moving from my hometown in Saskatchewan to Montreal, and as I was saying my goodbyes I explained my gender identity to my family and close friends. My mother, while she didn’t understand completely, was very accepting. I remember her asking me if she could still call me Chickadee, a nickname she’s called me since I was a child. I told her that was fine, but that I’d prefer if she called me her spawn rather than her daughter.

katamari Damassi

Really? wrote:Uh oh, Affleck. They're dredging it all up.
From Gigli, to Pearl Harbor, etc... I think we're all owed an apology from Ben Affleck.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

We have Boy Scouts.

We have Girl Scouts.

What's the rationale?

The Girl Scouts aren't just the Boy Scouts but for the opposite sex. They sell cookies while the boys are out learning things like riflery and environmental science. I always felt bad for my sisters because the organizations didn't compare. I still don't like the idea of admitting female members. Mostly because I anticipate a huge culture clash that the boys will inevitably lose.

katamari Damassi

Sorry to hear about your cat FT. I've been there a few times myself, and it's never easy, even when they're sick and suffering.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Really? wrote:Uh oh, Affleck. They're dredging it all up.
So gross. Seen some comments about how the makers of Justice League might be getting worried.....

:)

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Shatterface wrote:
shoutinghorse wrote:Nonce is in fairly common use around the UK to describe a paedophile, as Vicky said it probably derives from the term ponce (pimp)
Back in the Seventies there was an organisation called the Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE) based in the U.K. It was affiliated with the National Council for Civil Liberties, now known as Liberty. They had a lot of support from mainstream politicians and the clergy.

Other than that I never heard the word 'paedophile'. It was always 'child molesters', 'nonces' or the more generic 'perv'.
...and we know that parts of the regressive left SJWs still support paedophiles, i.e. "srhbutts".

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Girl Scouts ?? .. Girl bloody Scouts ?? .. Whatever happened to the Girl Guides? :(

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

We have Boy Scouts.

We have Girl Scouts.

What's the rationale?
Why do you hate women?

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:"Your movement is tiny and collapsed." Sargon to Smith.
Don't know if you guys listen to any of Thomas' shows, but it appears that he is ready to test the proposition of whether an atheist convention can survive while drawing exclusively upon the resources of so-called "shitlords," just as soon as Mythcon gears up for another go around. So that should be . . . interesting.

Personally, I figure if Skepticon can have a litmus test for social justice, then surely the "shitlords" deserve their own scene as well. We are freethinkers, after all, not committed to taking a specific set of political positions in advance. I don't mind that Skepticon exists in the form they have taken, I don't mind that Mythcon caters to the sort of folks that Skepticon would never allow near a platform. I'm willing to bet that Mythcon will be vastly less rigid in ideological litmus-testing than Skepticon, even after enduring the sort of negative publicity campaigning that we may expect from Thomas and other allies.

I was not pleased with the dialogue between Thomas and Carl, mostly because they didn't disagree in a constructive way. Just a week of so later, though, Sargon interviewed Martin Hughes of Patheos Nonreligious (god that branding sucks) and they had a series of highly productive and interesting disagreements. It can be done. Thomas just isn't good at it . . . yet. But at least he is trying. Here's hoping he doesn't give up.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:Btw, re. Thomas Smith's use against Sargon of some survey re. gender prejudice in "blind" cv tests or whatever it was - I seem to recall a survey recently showing the opposite result, that people were more likely to favour female applicants in blind tests. Damned if I can remember what or where it was.

Anyone remember anything about this and can shed any light?
http://www.pnas.org/content/112/17/5360.abstract

I recall seeing the study Smith was referring to and, as one audience member shouted, the results were unreproducible. Most social science studies' results aren't reproducible. And SJWs love to cherry-pick one that produced results confirming their assumptions, and treat it as irrefutable proof.

What Sargon was also trying to get at, but things went in another direction: in the real world, hiring decisions aren't made just on reading resumes. You bring in the candidate and interview them in person. So blind resume review can only go so far.

I'm sure Smith never worked in a real job where he had to hire real people, so no wonder he was so clueless.
(Included your correction) That's the one, thanks Matt.

Really?

Post by Really? »

d4m10n wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:"Your movement is tiny and collapsed." Sargon to Smith.
Don't know if you guys listen to any of Thomas' shows, but it appears that he is ready to test the proposition of whether an atheist convention can survive while drawing exclusively upon the resources of so-called "shitlords," just as soon as Mythcon gears up for another go around. So that should be . . . interesting.

Personally, I figure if Skepticon can have a litmus test for social justice, then surely the "shitlords" deserve their own scene as well. We are freethinkers, after all, not committed to taking a specific set of political positions in advance. I don't mind that Skepticon exists in the form they have taken, I don't mind that Mythcon caters to the sort of folks that Skepticon would never allow near a platform. I'm willing to bet that Mythcon will be vastly less rigid in ideological litmus-testing than Skepticon, even after enduring the sort of negative publicity campaigning that we may expect from Thomas and other allies.

I was not pleased with the dialogue between Thomas and Carl, mostly because they didn't disagree in a constructive way. Just a week of so later, though, Sargon interviewed Martin Hughes of Patheos Nonreligious (god that branding sucks) and they had a series of highly productive and interesting disagreements. It can be done. Thomas just isn't good at it . . . yet. But at least he is trying. Here's hoping he doesn't give up.
Based upon the Mythcon video, Thomas isn't trying. He has no interest in offering any of his "opponents" a platform and...wait. Maybe you mean Sargon is "he." I agree that Sargon is trying.

Look at the rest of the convention scene. Skepticon draws fewer and fewer people and is free. It's also not really about skepticism. some of the atheists draw. Dawkins and others draw. Will Silverman feel any pinch from his principled stance against free speech? I just don't have any interest in any of the SJW-corrupted cons or organizations (SSA, etc.) and I don't see them as skeptic/atheist bodies. AHA is annoyingly SJW now. It's all Trump bashing and pretending that Columbus Day is a big problem.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote: From Gigli, to Pearl Harbor, etc... I think we're all owed an apology from Ben Affleck.
Sometime, try watching PEARL HARBOR while listening to THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. It's uncanny.

free thoughtpolice

d4mion: I haven't heard all of the Sarcod/Martin Hughes interview, but at least in the first 1/2 hour it didn't look productive to me.
When did you think they had a debate on the points and just weren't talking past each other or not agreeing what the debate really should be about.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Yes, I've also read the Selfish Gene, and you're right. It's still probably the best book Dawkins has ever written.
I unfollowed him today on Twitter. He is suffering from Brexit Derangement Syndrome. He has been remoaning incessantly for over a year.
Brexit has become a cult, with Brexiteers operating at the level of Scientologists and Moonies. They spout the most rabid nonsense about the EU, and have insanely optimistic expectations about the effects of Brexit. That such idiots think they can deride Richard Dawkins or Stephen Hawking, who are each vastly more intelligent than any Brexiteer, tells me all I need to know about them. Most are xenophobic UKIPers anyway; swivel-eyed loons who have no place in civilized society.

gurugeorge

Post by gurugeorge »

I was thinking about this the other day.

People got used to being tolerant of disruptive radicals in the past because they had serious concerns (e.g. with the civil rights movement, and the Vietnam war). It became a habit to benignly indulge them, even if one disagreed, because one recognized that it wasn't being done lightly.

But nowadays, as the things protested become more and more hysterical and childish, about less and less serious matters, I think people are starting to come to realize that, actually, such behaviour is simply boorish unless it's got a real point to it - unless the cause is a serious one. With that realization comes loss of patience with these sorts of shenanigans.

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Shatterface wrote:

Harriet Harman and her husband Jack Dromey and their friend Patricia Hewitt all later to become Labour MP'S were heavily evolved with NCCL and implicated in the PIE scandal.
Hewitt even advocated that it was fine for ten year olds to have 'concenting' sex with adults as long as it was proved they had given concent. All advocated lowering the age of concent across the board to 14 (at the time concent for gays was 21) and they all favoured legalising incest.

All three have distanced themselves from statements made at the time and acknowledged they were naive.

Harman and Dromey are still current Labour MP's

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Weinstein has become a fucking fantastic show on the hypocrisy of Hollywood.

There's been rumours about the guy for years; I find it practically impossible for instance that he didn't have a crack at J-Law, but she says not. The thing is, Hollywood is a degenerate shitpile and has been for a century; perfect cover for a predator, and I'm sure there's plenty of them.

All these people pretending they didn't know; I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Jan Steen wrote:
Brexit has become a cult, with Brexiteers operating at the level of Scientologists and Moonies. They spout the most rabid nonsense about the EU, and have insanely optimistic expectations about the effects of Brexit. That such idiots think they can deride Richard Dawkins or Stephen Hawking, who are each vastly more intelligent than any Brexiteer, tells me all I need to know about them. Most are xenophobic UKIPers anyway; swivel-eyed loons who have no place in civilized society.
Jan's back!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://imgur.com/H24tfkf.gif

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

free thoughtpolice wrote:d4mion: I haven't heard all of the Sarcod/Martin Hughes interview, but at least in the first 1/2 hour it didn't look productive to me.
When did you think they had a debate on the points and just weren't talking past each other or not agreeing what the debate really should be about.
Hughes sounded baked & made a big show of acting baffled over & over at Sargon's assertions. This mostly chewed up large swaths of time without letting a discussion get going. His buzz faded about halfway in & it got a bit more constructive, but it was mostly just frustrating to listen to. They were polite & civil, but I think that those two personalities don't generate an interesting discussion together. Still, Hughes has the balls to engage & the class to conduct himself like an adult, unlike so many of his peers.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The Friendly Atheist Irrational Humanist thinks girl boy scouts is wonderful, but is still butthurt they won't admit atheists.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... ll-banned/

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Jan Steen wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: Yes, I've also read the Selfish Gene, and you're right. It's still probably the best book Dawkins has ever written.
I unfollowed him today on Twitter. He is suffering from Brexit Derangement Syndrome. He has been remoaning incessantly for over a year.
Seems you have caught it too. I hope you speedy recovery.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
gurugeorge wrote:Btw, re. Thomas Smith's use against Sargon of some survey re. gender prejudice in "blind" cv tests or whatever it was - I seem to recall a survey recently showing the opposite result, that people were more likely to favour female applicants in blind tests. Damned if I can remember what or where it was.

Anyone remember anything about this and can shed any light?
http://www.pnas.org/content/112/17/5360.abstract

I recall seeing the study Smith was referring to and, as one audience member shouted, the results were reproducible. Most social science studies' results aren't reproducible. And SJWs love to cherry-pick one that produced results confirming their assumptions, and treat it as irrefutable proof.
There's no shortage of rubbish studies like "How stereotypes impair women’s careers in science" (http://www.pnas.org/content/111/12/4403.abstract) where researchers have people play stupid games and then claim this has something to do with real-world hiring.

But when you do serious studies at scale of actual hiring practices, as in, say, "An Updated Analysis of Race and Gender Effects on Employer Interest in Job Applicants" (https://ipp.missouri.edu/publications/a ... pplicants/) you find these differences disappear. It's almost like the people reviewing vast numbers of resumes can't be bothered to do much more than follow a checklist...

I did like it when Smith said he was "data-driven". As if.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The Friendly Atheist Irrational Humanist thinks girl boy scouts is wonderful, but is still butthurt they won't admit atheists.

Meh, we can set up our own paramilitary youth organization, only with less peadophilia.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Really? wrote: Based upon the Mythcon video, Thomas isn't trying. He has no interest in offering any of his "opponents" a platform.
Not only wasn't he trying to engage in a serious debate (I doubt he or any SJW knows how to), he doesn't seem terribly bright. It'd be one thing to disagree with Sargon's points, but often Smith clearly couldn't even comprehend them. If something clashed with his SJW dogma, his brain simply stalled out.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:The Friendly Atheist Irrational Humanist thinks girl boy scouts is wonderful, but is still butthurt they won't admit atheists.

Meh, we can set up our own paramilitary youth organization, only with less peadophilia.
Camp Quest could create the Young Polyneers.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Easy J wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:d4mion: I haven't heard all of the Sarcod/Martin Hughes interview, but at least in the first 1/2 hour it didn't look productive to me.
Hughes sounded baked & made a big show of acting baffled over & over at Sargon's assertions. This mostly chewed up large swaths of time without letting a discussion get going. His buzz faded about halfway in & it got a bit more constructive, but it was mostly just frustrating to listen to. They were polite & civil, but I think that those two personalities don't generate an interesting discussion together. Still, Hughes has the balls to engage & the class to conduct himself like an adult, unlike so many of his peers.
You could well be right about Hughes being stoned, the thought never crossed my mind. The impression I got was that Hughes came on knowing he knew what he believed, but really knowing why he believed it having never actually had his faith tested.

I have found these two "debates" rather liked when we used to hear creationists who have never even met an atheist before, and they say something like, "If we come from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?". The difference is that we haven't engaged them directly any more than they have engaged us. So we don't know what they are going to say, we don't have efficient debunks.

Sargon wants to nail these people down to principles which is understandable. But they are still going to jump around all over the place, "what about this, what about that".

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

I heard ot live and that was my impression.

I'll have to listen again to point out specific intersections.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jan Steen wrote: Brexit has become a cult, with Brexiteers operating at the level of Scientologists and Moonies. They spout the most rabid nonsense about the EU, and have insanely optimistic expectations about the effects of Brexit. That such idiots think they can deride Richard Dawkins or Stephen Hawking, who are each vastly more intelligent than any Brexiteer, tells me all I need to know about them. Most are xenophobic UKIPers anyway; swivel-eyed loons who have no place in civilized society.
Well, Stephen Hawking claimed he was voting Labour in the last election, so I wouldn't place too much faith in his political acumen.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

d4m10n wrote:
I heard ot live and that was my impression.

I'll have to listen again to point out specific intersections.
Impressions, ffs.

Fucking phone.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

INTERACTIONS GOOD LORD OF ALL BLUE FUCK

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Can't type tonight. See you in the morning.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

VickyCaramel wrote:"Scott" or "Scottish" used to be prison slang for somebody with a really miserable temper.

Whats that all about Bhurzum?
https://media.tenor.com/images/e55d1efa ... /tenor.gif

Seriously though, I think it's probably down to the rough sounding accent. We might sound angry (to the uninitiated ear) but we're no better or worse than anyone else. Mind you, the accents in Scotland are widely varied and the further North you go, the sillier they get.

Exhibit A...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Meanwhile, fuckwitted horror ISIS slapper Sally Jones (notable for dragging her young son along for the ride, the stupid evil cow) has apparently been killed in a drone strike: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/865295 ... tate-drone

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

I stumbled onto this bit of Mythcon dirt, wherein a bit more bad blood apparently brewed between Sargon and Thomas a few beers and hours after the interview/debate. The video leads with this text:
This is several hours after a disastrous debate (for Thomas Smith). Him and his friend had clearly planned a skit where he would introduce himself like he didn't know who Sargon was. His friend and Thomas were both clearly drunk (I would be to after that disaster). His friend was immediately aggressive and it got a little scary for a minute there. Security intervened in the man (and his harpy) were ejected. Sargon told security that he did not want them kicked out but clearly the police knew it was time. Thomas was in the background sharing his buddy on and the cringe was so thick you could taste it...
https://i.imgur.com/RFnNf57.png
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h_YsT0KL0U