Post by shoutinghorse »

Operation #FreeIndy NOW!

Brive1987

Re: In 2017 Idiocracy is a Documentary

Post by Brive1987 »

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

shoutinghorse wrote:Operation #FreeIndy NOW!
It's the only time Indy feels like Rebecca wants to play with him.

John D

Post by John D »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Oof...

http://imgur.com/XLMeLym.jpg
To be fair the trailer looked every, very bad.
Detroit is getting good reviews.... I am hesitant to watch it since I actually lived in Detroit in 1967. I guess, since it is getting good reviews, it is a must see for me.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/detroit_2017/

Dunkirk, as others have already pointed out, was excellent (despite the fact that there were no Shermans).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

...awaiting your review before I schedule a time for it.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Guest_1583c6c2 wrote:Regarding that guy who died after being arrested in London last week.

The Guardian has an article up stating that the object found in his throat (which the fuzz were choking him to prevent him swallowing it) was a mixture of paracetamol and caffeine wrapped in plastic.

So you see, he's not a drug dealer, he's only out there ripping people off and selling them fake drugs. He was salt of the earth, an angel.

Myself, I've seen a pal of mine choked in the same way for the same reason. The police line about it being for the persons safety is a load of old guff. It's evidence they want, let's be real. Trying to make it into a racial thing is just bloody stupid.

CaughtUpLockedOut
As they used to say of The Krays...."they only killed their own.....loved their mothers...they did".

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Guest_1583c6c2 wrote:Regarding that guy who died after being arrested in London last week.

The Guardian has an article up stating that the object found in his throat (which the fuzz were choking him to prevent him swallowing it) was a mixture of paracetamol and caffeine wrapped in plastic.

So you see, he's not a drug dealer, he's only out there ripping people off and selling them fake drugs. He was salt of the earth, an angel.

Myself, I've seen a pal of mine choked in the same way for the same reason. The police line about it being for the persons safety is a load of old guff. It's evidence they want, let's be real. Trying to make it into a racial thing is just bloody stupid.

CaughtUpLockedOut
As they used to say of The Krays...."they only killed their own.....loved their mothers...they did".
"Ronnie an Reggie wud be spinnin in their grayves they wud if they cud see wots appened to Laaandun naah"

"Saaaags" :o

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CaughtUpLockedOut
Not sure what this is all about so I am starting with said article.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... d-caffeine

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

shoutinghorse wrote:
"Ronnie an Reggie wud be spinnin in their grayves they wud if they cud see wots appened to Laaandun naah"

"Saaaags" :o[/quote]

Bloody transvestites! - good mannered though...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Quote Fail...
Fail wrote:You fucked it up again didn't you?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

She's had good practice in doing this to Peez for all these years.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ape+lust wrote:Oof...

http://imgur.com/XLMeLym.jpg
Pity. I did have some forlorn hope for this, even when I heard they'd jettisoned the whole Susannah/Eddie storyline. Then I heard that this stand alone take on The Dark Tower was running for a mere hour and 30 mins, I got the jitters about it pretty bad. So in the end, this result is not surprising.

Really though, given the source material, it should either have been a multi-pic epic a la LotR, or an even more expansive TV miniseries. Bit of a waste, though given the studios' propensity for reboots these days, there's still the possibility that another, more decent, attempt can yet be made.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Unsurprising as the sad cow has never been a parent. It's the trust shown by vulnerable dependents that makes you decide to keep them around rather than kill them for annoying you. And, yes, that's why we love the feeling of a chipmunk or chickadee feeding from our hand. The poor benighted dog is making her an offer of trust and all she can do is laugh. Should she ever find it needful to get pregnant to retain a rich male. I hope CPS will snatch the babe before she can damage it - ie within 30 seconds of delivery and before she posts to social media some godawful misinterpretation of normal infant behaviour.
Future Gamer Parent Becks wrote:"Tyler's such a good baby - he keeps quiet when I'm playing a marathon session on Twitch and he's never in a hurry to be fed after 12 hours of play. He even uses fewer disposable diapers the longer I spend playing. Best of all, he doesn't seem to be needing a larger set of clothes every few days like ordinary people's kids do. Way to go, Tyler!"
Yeah, Tyler, way to go. Straight into the tiny, Patreon-funded box.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Jings - you are felling dark today Screwtape...

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

or feeling even

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

CommanderTuvok wrote: As they used to say of The Krays...."they only killed their own.....loved their mothers...they did".
I'm sad to say that when I had the chance (as a psychiatry resident/SHO) to visit Broadmoor in 1984, and Ronnie was still in residence, he was not on show. We did meet many other residents, and were instructed not to ask The Question. As if we didn't have the manners to know one ought not ask why they were there. Lovely view down to Crowthorne, though.
That and similar visits to Wandsworth. Pentonville and Holloway seemed to take up a disproportionate amount of our time, even if only for a day each. I preferred Friern Barnet Hospital (the old Colney Hatch Asylum) as a splendid throwback to an era where some people were lunatics and we knew where to put them. Yes, there really was a padded room. Years after that, my wife worked as a senior resident/registrar at St Lawrence's Hospital in Caterham (the former Metropolitan Imbecile Asylum, and very close to the builders of the Lotus/Caterham Seven), which had the same vibe. Over 2,000 residents in locked wards, some mentally handicapped, some mentally ill (though relatively few with modern treatment), some damaged from untreated epilepsy and a few girls who got locked up just for being pregnant and who had become institutionalised. All released to 'Community Care' (and we, unlike Mrs Thatcher, know the community doesn't care) and the site converted to luxury apartments.

Sorry, wandering off topic, but who will know if I don't tell?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

MarcusAu wrote:Jings - you are felling dark today Screwtape...
Merely reflecting years of dealing with hopeless parents.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Sunder wrote:Giggling to myself a bit while watching Ben Goren over at Jerry's post his Trump theories. For perspective, Ben honestly believes the golden shower tape must be a real thing and will certainly be leaked at some point.
Ieuw! Yuck! Give them these will you

https://www.pampers.com/en-us/rewards/~ ... Closed.png

feathers

Post by feathers »

Come on now Ape, don't take it too far.

....what? Not a shop? :(

feathers

Post by feathers »

dogen wrote:The Astrophysical Journal and Astronomical Journal, the two top-ranked US astronomy/astrophyscs journals, both have pages charges (~ $150 per page) and are not open access.

However, both make papers free-to-read after a 2-3 year embargo -- as do most other top-ranked astronomy journals. Plus, most authors nowadays post preprints on the arXiv service.
Yeah, but by then them stars have moved on or exploded.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Yeah, well, white people fuck. Not exactly an earth shattering revelation. Unless one is engaged in the activity and is lucky.

feathers

Post by feathers »

screwtape wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Jings - you are felling dark today Screwtape...
Merely reflecting years of dealing with hopeless parents.
I was really reminded of this guy for a moment :-)

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

So that's what Drew Carey is doing these days. Thought he had lost weight, though.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Eskarina wrote:
Yeah, well, white people fuck. Not exactly an earth shattering revelation. Unless one is engaged in the activity and is lucky.
You don't understand. This white person is clearly supporting white rape culture through entitlement to sexual activities. :ugeek:

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
You don't understand. This white person is clearly supporting white rape culture through entitlement to sexual activities. :ugeek:
Damn! Of course. How could I have not seen this? :lol:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Eskarina wrote:Damn! Of course. How could I have not seen this? :lol:
You clearly need more education:

https://rantatonne.files.wordpress.com/ ... .jpg?w=470

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

This has been retweeted 43K times and liked 116K times, and yet I do not know why this makes women amazing.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

The whole story seems transphobic - it's now 2017 don't they know that even men can give birth?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Awesome Secular Student Alliance Scholarship Rewards Activists For Their Work

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/accordingt ... 3451931927

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Haters gonna hate the burka...
If you can’t handle women wearing clothing that covers their bodies, you’re no better than the men who want to force women to wear it.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... bus-seats/

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

So, what does everyone think of the quote from Andrew Brietbart that Milo (and others) are fond of quoting:

"Politics are downstream from culture".

Is this right and we have all have been drafted into the culture war? With popular entertainment as the primary battlefield.

If this is so - I feel like taking a break from pop culture and finding my entertainment elsewhere (at least for a bit). Maybe I should focus on something job related.

Guest_1583c6c2

Post by Guest_1583c6c2 »

""So, what does everyone think of the quote from Andrew Brietbart that Milo (and others) are fond of quoting:

"Politics are downstream from culture".

Is this right and we have all have been drafted into the culture war? With popular entertainment as the primary battlefield. ""

I've had some thoughts along those lines. Sky TV has recently been repeating a show "The British", a historical docu-drama type thing. It was first aired the year/18 months or so in the run up to the EU referendum. I've wondered if the 2 things might be connected, given how Murdoch has led the charge for leave (I voted leave but would never vote UKIP and wouldn't dirty my arse by wiping it on the Sun).

CaughtUpLockedOut

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote:All released to 'Community Care' (and we, unlike Mrs Thatcher, know the community doesn't care)
Oh, the nasty old cunt knew alright.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

It's nice that so many BBC documentaries end up on Youtube*.

For example:

Bloody Scots....

*Hopefully this is not regionally specific.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Oh dear.

Tubgirl getting Meyers on video in the bath may have been a step too far for The Trophy Wife. "Indeterminate duration". :think: :think: :think:

http://i.imgur.com/Fx3SmNi.png

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Oh dear.

Tubgirl getting Meyers on video in the bath may have been a step too far for The Trophy Wife. "Indeterminate duration". :think: :think: :think:

http://i.imgur.com/Fx3SmNi.png
Well, his birthday isn't until March, so it's not like he's going to miss any conjugal bliss.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote:Bloody Scots....
Here's tae us; wha's like us? Gey few, and they're a' deid!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... BKVne14tXi

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Well Mad Mitch was born in Croydon - so I guess the Scots don't get all the blame.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote:Well Mad Mitch was born in Croydon - so I guess the Scots don't get all the blame.
Sticking with the military documentary theme...

The other documentary with Clarkson (about his father-in-law) is also worth watching.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guest_936d3dec wrote: This has been retweeted 43K times and liked 116K times, and yet I do not know why this makes women amazing.
I'm confused as to how a hospital that offers birthing babies services has no one on staff who is capable of birthing babies. The Facebook post also neglects to say whether the mother of the first child wanted to be a mother. Without such a declaration, the "baby" is not a "baby," but a parasitic fetus.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Today, I had people stick a telescope up my ass and when I stopped threatening them they agreed it had the largest brain they had ever seen.
Believe me.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Im sure the subject was discussed previously but let's start again.

Im back from a week outside town, im on vacation, still have another week off and i just started a marathon of Film noir. A genre that i like but im not that well versed in the classics.

What does the pit recommend i watch?

Off the top of my head I have seen:
  • Casablanca
  • DOA
  • The maltese falcon
  • Two O'Clock Courage
  • All Through the Night

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Touch of Evil
Out of the Past & Night of the Hunter (for a great Robert Mitchum double bill)

Really?

Post by Really? »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:Im sure the subject was discussed previously but let's start again.

Im back from a week outside town, im on vacation, still have another week off and i just started a marathon of Film noir. A genre that i like but im not that well versed in the classics.

• Casablanca
  • DOA
  • The maltese falcon
  • Two O'Clock Courage
  • All Through the Night
Laura!
Road to Perdition!

Mike Hammer classic:

Mike Hammer Stacy Keach:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

If it's Mike Hammer you want - try 'Kiss Me Deadly' (though it borrows a bit from 'Pulp Fiction').

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:Im sure the subject was discussed previously but let's start again.

• Casablanca
  • DOA
  • The maltese falcon
  • Two O'Clock Courage
  • All Through the Night
Dark Passage
Double Indemnity
Sweet Smell of Success
White Heat

Assuming you like subtitles:
Le Samourai
Stray Dog
High and Low
The Bad Sleep Well

And second the recommendation for Night of the Hunter

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

• Casablanca
  • DOA
  • The maltese falcon
  • Two O'Clock Courage
  • All Through the Night
They Live by Night 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040872/

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Thanks for the suggestions. I now have a lot to watch, only one of your suggestions was a film ive already seen (Le samouraï, in french).

dogen

Post by dogen »

Phil, is there no end to the atrocities your people have inflicted on the Religion of Piss?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/rap ... 72556.html

(I'm hoping Kirbmarc will be able to give us a reasoned analysis of the claims made in this article).

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

• Casablanca
  • DOA
  • The maltese falcon
  • Two O'Clock Courage
  • All Through the Night
Everyone has made some grat suggestions, but they;ve missed one of the greats

The Big Sleep

Lauren Bacall in her prime, nuff said.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Today, I had people stick a telescope up my ass and when I stopped threatening them they agreed it had the largest brain they had ever seen.
Believe me.
They must have given you some pain medication...hopefully the "brain" isn't malignant. I have to be spelunked yearly. Picture my joy. :bjarte:

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:Today, I had people stick a telescope up my ass and when I stopped threatening them they agreed it had the largest brain they had ever seen.
Believe me.
They must have given you some pain medication...hopefully the "brain" isn't malignant. I have to be spelunked yearly. Picture my joy. :bjarte:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Believe me.

CaptainFluffyBunny

A triple. Picture my...fuckit.

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Public plea: Would the BC pitters quit sending their smoke to Oregon?

Between 20% humidity from our recent heat wave and the heavy smoke layer the Talking Pretty Heads on TV are blaming on BC forest fires, HelpingHand no longer has functional lungs.

Speaking of BC, perchance any Pitter going to be around Abbotsford for the airshow?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

dogen wrote:Phil, is there no end to the atrocities your people have inflicted on the Religion of Piss?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/rap ... 72556.html

(I'm hoping Kirbmarc will be able to give us a reasoned analysis of the claims made in this article).
It might be true that the law that allows a male rapist to marry his victim and escape justice derives from the French code. However:

a) the law was adopted by the Ottoman Empire adopted it before it collapsed, so it wasn't a "colonial" imposition, unless you consider the Ottoman Caliphate to have colonized the Middle East (which isn't far from the truth, but it's a bit different from the narrative of "blaming the West").

The author of the article seems to tacitly support this view, but then turn around and find ways to blame the Evil Westerners anyway:
Article 308 is a remnant of the Ottoman rule, but its origin is even more distant – historically and geographically – as the Ottomans had imported it from the French penal code. In countries that were under French colonial rule, such as Lebanon and Tunisia, laws like Article 308 are a direct hangover.

The roots of these laws lie in the cultural impact of centuries under colonial rule, where subjugation was ultimately secured by a true “gentlemen’s agreement”. While foreign powers took control of the state, in exchange they offered local men complete control of their homes.
That's actually revealing. The French didn't colonize the Middle East or North Africa for "centuries". They established first colonized Algeria in 1830, a protectorate on Tunisia in 1881, on Morocco in 1911, and had protectorate in Syria and Lebanon only from 1918. French colonial rule ended in Algeria in 1962, in Tunisia and Morocco in 1956 and in Syria and Lebanon in 1946.

While French colonial rule, like all colonial rules, was brutal and full of violations of human rights it didn't last for "centuries", it lasted at most for roughly a century and a half (Algeria) and at least for roughly half a century (Syria and Lebanon). So why is the author talking about centuries, unless it's a reference to the (non-Western) Ottoman Empire?

It's a sleight of hand: first blame the Westerns, then in the next paragraph generically blame "foreign powers". It's not technically incorrect but it's pretty dishonest.

Also it's important to remember that the reason why the law was adopted by the Ottoman Empire is that it was completely in line with islamic laws.

Islamic laws on rape are based on the assumption that a man's testimony was worth twice of that of a woman, and that you need four trustworthy men as witnesses to corroborate a woman's claim to be raped (exactly as many as you need to claim adultery). So rapists only needed to claim that they didn't actually rape the woman who accused them and walk, even when there was clear evidence that they had raped them, to walk, unless there were four trustworthy male witnesses (and the woman could have been punished as an adulterer based on her own confession that she had sex outside of marriage...).

Islamic law doesn't prohibit marriage after cases of rape (although it also doesn't explicitly mandate it). Furthermore islamic law says that a husband doesn't require the consent of their wive to have sex with them (marriage is assumed to a perpetual promise of lawful sex).

As paradoxically obscene as it sounds now, at the times when this law was introduced in some cases it was a step UP compared to the previous laws, because it meant that women who were pregnant from their rape had to be supported by a husband instead of simply being stoned as adulterers.

If you want more information, this post is a far better analysis of the issue then the Independent islam-apologist article.

In short: the French code might have been the source of the laws which allow rapists to get away with their crimes by marrying their victims, but those laws were adopted because they were perfectly compatible with islam and with the dominant culture of all the place where they're valid. Even today large parts of those countries see them as not a big deal, including the majority of muslim scholars.
According to Hanafi legal methodology, the hadd punishment for zina (adultery) can be dropped after the act itself, if marriage takes place between the man and woman. The man’s “ownership” of the woman serves to introduce shubha (doubt) into the case, and in Islamic law hadd punishments are dropped as a precaution due to unclear legal circumstances. Not only does this notion of ownership apply to adultery, but also to other crimes, such as theft. Although, it is difficult to imagine how this worked in reality.
Islamic law — while not mandating it — does not prohibit marriage after cases of rape. Filtered down to the social level, Islam as a socio-psychological force clearly breeds notions of honor and shame related to women, enabling the existence of marriage after rape. The above example shows that the blind quest for implementation of Islamic legal punishments (such as lashing or stoning, among Islamist movements) — which stress it as a “solution” for social and cultural ills — is clearly misguided. Rape existed throughout Islamic history, shariah punishments did not serve to stop it, nor does Islamic law fully rectify the wrong, or bring justice to rape victims.
Lastly it's important to remember that in muslim religious law rape is only a crime if the victim is a free muslim woman, or a "slave girl" who has converted to islam and has been legitimized. The women of the unbelievers are free game, especially in times of war (that's how ISIS justified sexual slavery of the Yazidi women).

Guest_936d3dec

Post by Guest_936d3dec »

motherboard vice.com/en_us/article/kzbm4a/employees-anti-diversity-manifesto-goes-internally-viral-at-google

"It's not worth thinking about this as an isolated incident and instead a manifestation of what ails all of Silicon Valley."

At least eight Google employees tweeted Friday about a document that was circulated within the company calling for replacing Google's diversity initiatives with policies that encourage "ideological diversity" instead. The document, which is the personal opinion of one senior software engineer, was shared on a company mailing list but has since gone "internally viral," according to a Google employee who spoke with Motherboard.

Motherboard has not viewed the full document, but a screenshot we reviewed shows it's titled "Google's Ideological Echo Chamber."

The person who wrote the document argued that the representation gap between men and women in software engineering persists because of biological differences between the two sexes, according to public tweets from Google employees. It also said Google should not offer programs for underrepresented racial or gender minorities, according to one of the employees I spoke to.

The 10-page Google Doc document was met with derision from a large majority of employees who saw and denounced its contents, according to the employee. But Jaana Dogan, a software engineer at Google, tweeted that some people at the company at least partially agreed with the author; one of our sources said the same.

"The broader context of this is that this person is perhaps bolder than most of the people at Google who share his viewpoint—of thinking women are less qualified than men—to the point he was willing to publicly argue for it. But there are sadly more people like him," the employee who described the document's contents to me said.
Motherboard has independently confirmed with multiple Google employees that the document is being widely shared among many of the company's software engineering teams: "If I had to guess, almost every single woman in engineering has seen it," the current employee told Motherboard; a separate current employee told me it was being actively read by many employees. At several points on Friday night, the document was inaccessible because too many people were attempting to view it concurrently. Google did not respond to two requests for comment.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Danielle's tweets are so awesome and insightful, she's decided to monetize them!

https://teespring.com/not-a-disagreemen ... &sid=front

:twatson:

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

• Casablanca
  • DOA
  • The maltese falcon
  • Two O'Clock Courage
  • All Through the Night
Is Casablanca in the category of 'Film Noir'. I would say no. Too Lovey-Dovey, too much life affirmation and too much music.

Take some advice from an old fart
memorise this and you'll go far
"Just 'cos it features Humphrey Bogart
Doesn't mean ergo it's film noir."

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

A clarification: I'm obviously not defending any kind of colonial rule. They were all brutal (whether they were European or not) and all created and promoted human right abuses (the "civilizing mission" excuse of the Europeans was a pathetic excuse for exploitation, just like the "community of believers" excuse of the Ottoman Empire).

Also I'm not claiming that Christianity was better than Islam at dealing with the issue of rape. Both in Christianity and in Islam rape wasn't a crime against the victim, it was a crime against the victim's honor, namely their "respectability" as a woman who didn't engage in extramarital sex.

Claiming to have been rape was a way to excuse a woman from losing her honor by saying that she didn't consent to the extramarital sex, so her morality was still impeccable. Marriage after rape was considered a way to restore honor.

Female victims of rape were glorified if they took their lives after the act, to "cleanse" themselves of the "fate worse than death". If they survived they were actually vilified, and the shadow of a doubt could easily ruin their reputation (nobody wanted to buy "damaged goods").

The idea that rape isn't an offense against honor or against the institute of marriage but a crime against a person, which is heinous because of the physical and psychological pain it inflicts on the victims, not because it infringes their social honor, is a very recent one, which doesn't come from either Christianity or Islam but from the Enlightenment concept of human right, of representation through a legal system in which the accused and the accuser both have legal rights, plus decades of studies of psychotherapy.

The SocJus ideas about a "rape culture" are actually a regression from individual rights and responsibilities, they're an attempt to create a new kind of "shame culture" where it's men who have to defend their "honor" from accusations of sexually improper behavior done outside of the justice system by Internet vigilantes.

The SocJus is just as obsessed with "modesty" and "honor" as Islam or Christianity, as it is shown from the SocJus calls for informal censorship of "sexist" video games or advertising.