Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Old subthreads
jet_lagg

Re: Give Me a Urinal or Give Me Death!

Post by jet_lagg »

Scented Nectar wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
You're still saying "union members" when I actually said "union reps".
And you're not even bothering to read. If you have a shred of evidence that most or at least a significant percentage of union reps are communists then roll it out now. Saying you've known a lot of them and deemed them to be so won't cut it, especially now that it's obvious you are conflating the entire left into one extreme category.
Oh for fuck's sake. You just deflected. Accused me of what you yourself did. Instead of owning up to getting my words wrong, you accuse ME of not bothering to read things correctly. Then, you go and change over to the other subtopic of numbers to avoid the subtopic of "members" vs "reps". I give up. It's useless arguing this anymore. :roll:

I thought I clicked the Pit bookmark. Someone must have changed the url to pharyngula on me as a hoax!
For fuck's sake indeed. I bolded where I used the exact words you said I didn't use. And you still missed it.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Speaking of racist POC women in academia:
Over the last year, Pierson College Dean June Chu published controversial reviews of local businesses on her personal Yelp account, on one occasion referring to clientele of a restaurant as “white trash” and “low class folks,” and on another praising a movie theater for its lack of “sketchy crowds” despite being located in New Haven.

Screenshots of the reviews, obtained by the News Saturday afternoon and accessible here, began circulating among Pierson students in recent months. Her account has since been deleted.
http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2017/05/1 ... lege-dean/

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

For fuck's sake. Every day gets more frighteningly surreal than the day before.

Military bases in the land of Mecca sent bin Laden around the bend. I wonder how many jihadis these two nimrods will mint?

http://imgur.com/YhpseEp.jpg

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

Ape+lust wrote:Meanwhile, Russia revelations have kept Rebecca from her WORK.

"Stopped Rebecca from baiting adolescent gamers" -- that is SOOOO going on your record, Mr Trump!

http://imgur.com/zFLrEr2.png
So introducing the new meal ticket to the greatest 'Monkey Rodeo' on earth in between sightseeing tours of DC and The Big Apple didn't keep her from her WORK then?

shoutinghorse

Post by shoutinghorse »

By sightseeing tours obviously I meant giant pub crawls

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:

Oops.
Gaze upon comments in the article and despair:

http://blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion ... t-the-way/

Good lord they are mollify-ingly stupid.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:What I find interesting is that I've seen the New Who and a lot of the monsters/villains (the Cyberman, the Sontarans, the Silurians) are collectivist authoritarians, so close to how communism actually behaved in practice.
I think there's a general hostility to regimentation in the show. Good scientists, like the Doctor, are independent figures. Bad scientists tend to be bureaucrats surrounded by uniformed lackeys: not just explicitly evil figures like Davros but the general rule-bound functionaries that tend to get in the Doctor's way.

That gets rather explicit in the Douglas Adams scripted or script-edited stories in the late Seventies when the Doctor says things like 'They're worse than idiots, they're bureaucrats'. That's the seed of the Vogons, right there.

Bureaucracy is the Big Bad of British post-war sf. Shows like The Prisoner ('I am not a number - I am a free man'), obviously, but even post-apocalyptic series like Survivors by Dalek creator Terry Nation. You wouldn't think there'd be much room for bureaucracy at the end of the world but one episode has a trade union baron trying to reassert one. Terry Nation also created Blakes 7. There you have a fascist society, the Federation, which drugs the Earth population and murders its political opponents yet even the President has to follow the rules. In one interview he said that the Daleks were Mark 1, the Federation is Mark 2 of 'the faceless bureaucracy that will destroy us all.'

I'm watching a show from the Seventies called 1990 ('1984 plus six' the tag line says) made in 1977 and again you see a brutal dictatorship bound by its own rules. And I mentioned Doomwatch earlier where hippie scientists take on the Establishment.

So I think it goes beyond Left and Right and into a general opposition to any organisation which is regimented.
Which basically means that in practice it's easier to read this as an anti-communist and anti-fascist message and pro-liberal democracy, whether it's deliberate or not. Communist countries were (and the few which still exist still are) obscenely regimented and bureaucratic. The same was true for fascist regimes. Authoritarians need order and tons of paperwork, mostly to thoroughly document dissent. They also need to reduce people to numbers, not free men.

In general I've realized that most people who get warm and fuzzy feelings about communism in the "west" are actually in practice Utopian left-anarchists who wouldn't survive a month in the regimes they praise.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

shoutinghorse wrote:So introducing the new meal ticket to the greatest 'Monkey Rodeo' on earth in between sightseeing tours of DC and The Big Apple didn't keep her from her WORK then?
A monkey rodeo is pretty cornpone entertainment for a sophisticate like Rebecca. I don't know what she was doing there, unless it was an audition.

http://imgur.com/1ax6FiY.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I think that the left needs to reject Utopian ideas in order to move on and not self-destruct. A support for liberal democracy and free market coupled with a focus on correcting the issues of the market (like monopolies and crony capitalism), protecting civil liberties and ensuring the fulfillment of basic needs can be a platform to rebuild the left. Utopian ideas which reject founding principles of liberal democracy lead only to disaster, and the SJ intersectional Utopian project is no different.

The right also needs to abandon their own forms identity politics and nostalgia for a lost age and focus on defending their conservative values by representing the skeptical counterpart to the innovations promoted by the left.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jet_lagg wrote:For fuck's sake indeed. I bolded where I used the exact words you said I didn't use. And you still missed it.
You've still got it wrong. Your bolded part had nothing to do with what I've been talking about. I'm referring to where you pulled up stuff about "members" even after it was clear I was referring to "reps" as though it proved some point against what I said about reps. This is what you wrote (my bold):
Looking at the U.S. demographics, I see an estimated 5,000 members of the Communist party over 14.6 million union members which means even if the former is a perfect subset of the latter the prior for any given union member being an actual card-carrying communist is really, really damn low.
Holy crap. I don't think we're going anywhere with this. What do you say we just drop it? :roll:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Kirbmarc wrote:I think that the left needs to reject Utopian ideas in order to move on and not self-destruct. A support for liberal democracy and free market coupled with a focus on correcting the issues of the market (like monopolies and crony capitalism), protecting civil liberties and ensuring the fulfillment of basic needs can be a platform to rebuild the left. Utopian ideas which reject founding principles of liberal democracy lead only to disaster, and the SJ intersectional Utopian project is no different.

The right also needs to abandon their own forms identity politics and nostalgia for a lost age and focus on defending their conservative values by representing the skeptical counterpart to the innovations promoted by the left.
On the right - I've heard several people suggest that the rise of islam in Europe (and worldwide) is due to the secularisation (or atheisation - if that's a word) of the West.

I don't agree - but I can see this position being advanced in the short to mid-term.

It looks like they are saying - 'We aren't going to argue about whether god exists any more or not - but people should still believe for the good of society'.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Wait, are Asians white? 'Cause I see an awful lot of them working in STEM stuff. I'm not sure the whole evil white cishetnormative thing works there...

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Cornell -- suicide by hanging. Right after a show. Holy shit, he really did want to go.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Scented Nectar wrote:Your bolded part had nothing to do with what I've been talking about.
The bolded part kind of sort of proves I was responding to and accurately representing your argument (directly quoting), so at the very least it should have something to do with what you've been talking about.
I'm referring to where you pulled up stuff about "members" even after it was clear I was referring to "reps" as though it proved some point against what I said about reps.
Union reps are a subset of union members, the wikipedia article I linked to discusses both, and maybe, just maybe, reps and those they rep share some sort of common politics.
Holy crap. I don't think we're going anywhere with this. What do you say we just drop it? :roll:
I think we were finished the moment you said you weren't interested in settling it. I should have stopped there, so sure.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

As Yelp clean up the reviews of Lucky's, I expect this one will slip under their radar.
Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 4.12.34 PM.png
(43.31 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

CaptainFluffyBunny

Really? wrote:Speaking of racist POC women in academia:
Over the last year, Pierson College Dean June Chu published controversial reviews of local businesses on her personal Yelp account, on one occasion referring to clientele of a restaurant as “white trash” and “low class folks,” and on another praising a movie theater for its lack of “sketchy crowds” despite being located in New Haven.

Screenshots of the reviews, obtained by the News Saturday afternoon and accessible here, began circulating among Pierson students in recent months. Her account has since been deleted.
From the comments-
MaxImPerfect
a day ago
So typical of liberal elitists - and if it were a caucasian man he would be toast - but since this is an asian woman she gets the pass - liberals must understand that their righteous and ongoing deprecation of ordinary working people elected Mr. Trump.
Probably a very true statement. Unfortunate that Democrats aren't taking it more to heart.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Ape+lust wrote:For fuck's sake. Every day gets more frighteningly surreal than the day before.

Military bases in the land of Mecca sent bin Laden around the bend. I wonder how many jihadis these two nimrods will mint?

http://imgur.com/YhpseEp.jpg
:dance: I hope he gets to perform in Mecca :drool:
Justice will be served
And the battle will rage
This big dog will fight
When you rattle his cage
And you’ll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A.
`Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass
It`s the American way

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Ape+lust wrote:For fuck's sake. Every day gets more frighteningly surreal than the day before.

[.img]http://imgur.com/YhpseEp.jpg[/img]
Yea:

Though one might take it as a bit of hopeful sign that there's some serious pushback happening against the nutters in the regressive left which I expect would not have happened if Clinton had been elected. Even if Trump seems rather clueless about the nature of Islam:
TURKEY
A Thug in Washington
An attack on American values.

NOAH ROTHMAN / MAY 17, 2017

Perhaps unaccustomed to America’s tradition of free and unfettered expression, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s bodyguards reacted like animals when confronted by protesters demonstrating near D.C.’s “embassy row” on Tuesday. Photos and videos of the scene reveal a disturbing melee between Turkish thugs and demonstrators. Washington D.C.’s police chief called it a “brutal attack,” and it was. ...

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Ape+lust wrote:Cornell -- suicide by hanging. Right after a show. Holy shit, he really did want to go.
Intentional suicide or asphyxiwank?

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

deLurch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:I'd love to know how the BBC would find out your identity, and then their employer........
If people left comments from the office, the BBC would track back the owner of the the IP address to the company, then call up the company and say "Just to let you know, IP address NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN posted "nah nah nah nah" with the username of "squidpiss" at this link here."
I'll gladly bet a week's pay that doing this will result in a massive doxxing of the BBC employees responsible for implementing this fuckery.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Shatterface wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Cornell -- suicide by hanging. Right after a show. Holy shit, he really did want to go.
The ol' struggle-tug. A rock classic.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

MarcusAu wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:I think that the left needs to reject Utopian ideas in order to move on and not self-destruct. A support for liberal democracy and free market coupled with a focus on correcting the issues of the market (like monopolies and crony capitalism), protecting civil liberties and ensuring the fulfillment of basic needs can be a platform to rebuild the left. Utopian ideas which reject founding principles of liberal democracy lead only to disaster, and the SJ intersectional Utopian project is no different.

On the right - I've heard several people suggest that the rise of islam in Europe (and worldwide) is due to the secularisation (or atheisation - if that's a word) of the West.

I don't agree - but I can see this position being advanced in the short to mid-term.

It looks like they are saying - 'We aren't going to argue about whether god exists any more or not - but people should still believe for the good of society'.
This is would be blatantly true if loads of people were converting from Christianity to islam. This isn't happening, though, western converts account for a very small number of muslims in the west. Most people who leave traditional Christianity embrace either a vague lack of concern for religion or some wishy-washy version, lovey-dovey version of christianity (cafeteria christianity), or atheism, or a vague jelly-like dribble about "spiritual forces".

The vast majority of muslims in the west are immigrants or the children (or more rarely grandchildren) of immigrants from muslim-majority countries. So the problem isn't actually with the secularization of Europe leading to people embracing islam, at least not directly in the sense of Christians leaving christianity and joining islam because christianity is too secular for their liking (there are some people who do this, but it's a very small minority).

An alternative argument would be that muslims are having more children while Europeans are having less children due to secularization of Europe. Europeans are having less children, and it's possible that this is due to secularization (mostly indirectly, due to the lack of forced marriages and child marriages and to the fact that more women spend a lot of time in education and are part of the workforce).

The solution, however, isn't to force back women into the role of incubators, since even if this happened it'd be too late (and lead to problems like overpopulation and over-consumption) but to a) secularize islam, b) regulate immigration to the west so you select for less muslims, especially less rural, uneducated, reactionary-minded muslims c) close the door to reactionary preachers (especially those educated in muslim theocracies) and d) create a culture of shared civil values which includes secularism and liberal-democratic values in general.

This is where atheism/secularist groups should find their niche, by promoting liberal muslims, ex-muslims, LGBT muslims, wishy-washy muslims, etc., in order to erode the social power of conservative, reactionary muslims and lead to more muslims at the very least getting indifferent towards their religious values.

The Regressive Left is one of the obstacles that must be overcome in order to do this. Significant parts of the left sing the praises of the veil or of the Qu'ran as "the Religion of Peace", kiss the ass of Salafi shills like Linda Sarsour and in general support muslim supremacist groups like Hamas or Hezbollah or the Muslim Brotherhood instead of siding with the liberals, with the ex-muslims. This is a major mistake.

It's actually downright suicidal for someone who is interested in defending LGBT rights or women's rights or any kind of liberal-democratic, Enlightenment-based ideas to side with islam. I know why the Regressives do it, it's a mix of misguided ideas about defending the underdog (which islam actually isn't, but the association islam=religion of brown people is hard to fight) smashing the "white supremacist patriarchy" (by supporting an actual patriarchal culture... :( ) and allying with the enemy of their enemy ("since Trump hates muslims, I must love them!"). Still, it's a betrayal of all ideas about social justice, it's the ultimate contradiction, and in the long it's the death sentence of the left.

Unless the Regressive Left is dealt with swiftly, immigration is reformed in a rational way, islam is longer excused and reactionary preachers are fought against I don't see a future for the left, since the lack of reformation within islam will make things only worse and worse. Unless something is done to deal with islam rationally small zones within "western" countries might turn into miniature muslim theocracies, which would lead to growing tensions and to more and more popularity for an increasing intolerant and highly xenophobic extreme right.

This isn't a good scenario for anyone, not for muslims who live in the west and not for non-muslims who live in the west. I think that there is still room to avoid this, but the rise of the Right should be a warning sign to the real progressives, to stop excusing islam and start actively helping muslims to modernize their religion instead of praising its many, many flaws as "cultural diversity", to stop listening to Saudi or Salafi shills like Linda Sarsour or anyone who's been educated in Saudi Arabia or says that islam is perfect and flawless, and instead promote those who want to change islam.

Leftists should celebrate people like Ayaan Hirsi Ali or Maryam Namazie or Anjuli Pandavar or Sarah Haider or Yasmine Mohammed or Lalo Dagach or Maajid Nawaz. The left should promote them as role models, not alienate them as "native informant" or "porch monkeys" or "uncle toms" or "anti-muslim extremists" (WTF!). At the same time the left should distance itself from Hamas or Hezbollah or CAIR or CAGE or IslamophobiaWatch or any other traditional muslim group, which are often as distant as white supremacists from progressive values.

The left should demand that muslims respect the laws of the land, that they respect women as equals, that they stop demanding for special treatment in the name of their religion, that they accept criticism and satire of their religion, that they stop preaching that the west is corrupt and horrible and instead accept liberal-democratic values. The left should defend freedom of satire, freedom from religion, gender-mixed classes, one secular law for all, standards for education that don't allow reactionary values in religious schools, etc.

If the left doesn't start to go down this road then the right, and especially the far-right will become more and more popular with non-muslims who will be more and more fed up with the issues of islam. In the worst case scenario we could have theocratic muslim communities vs. an anti-muslim fascist government. In this nightmarish (but not impossible) scenario some countries might go full Steersman and enact "population transfers" of their muslim communities.

By the way this is much more likely to happen in Europe, where muslim communities are bigger with respect to the population, than in the US, where the muslim communities are small and isolated and what's more likely is their progressive isolation like the communities of ultra-orthodox Jews or the Amish.

TL;DR: the solution is an authentically progressive left which helps muslims to gradually secularize and care less about islam in general. Either that happens or we'll have the right dealing with islam on their own.

free thoughtpolice

Steersman wrote:
Though one might take it as a bit of hopeful sign that there's some serious pushback happening against the nutters in the regressive left which I expect would not have happened if Clinton had been elected. Even if Trump seems rather clueless about the nature of Islam:

TURKEY
A Thug in Washington

Perhaps unaccustomed to America’s tradition of free and unfettered expression, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s bodyguards reacted like animals when confronted by protesters demonstrating near D.C.’s “embassy row” on Tuesday. Photos and videos of the scene reveal a disturbing melee between Turkish thugs and demonstrators. Washington D.C.’s police chief called it a “brutal attack,” and it was. ...
I'm confused. Are you endorsing what Erdogan's bodyguards did? You are aware about what he is doing in Turkey right?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:

From the comments-
MaxImPerfect
a day ago
So typical of liberal elitists - and if it were a caucasian man he would be toast - but since this is an asian woman she gets the pass - liberals must understand that their righteous and ongoing deprecation of ordinary working people elected Mr. Trump.
Probably a very true statement. Unfortunate that Democrats aren't taking it more to heart.
Some are, I think, for example Bernie Sanders seemed to head down that road by criticizing identity politics. But the gatekeepers of the Liberal Orthodoxy tore him a new one for daring to voice his opinion on that matter. I think that unless there's a massive shift within the Democratic Party some demographics, like working class white men and women, might leave the Dems for good.

Hell I wouldn't be so sure about working class black and Latino people voting for the Democrats for more elections to come: if the Republicans re-organize themselves as the party of all conservative people angered by liberal elites and tone down some of their uber-white rhetoric they might eventually capture a sizable number of conservative, religious blacks and Latinos. If the Dems carry on supporting the identity politics platform I think that eventually they'll either toss the more progressive identities (like LGBT people) under the bus to follow the black and Latino vote or lose badly to a more black-friendly or more Latino-friendly version of Donald Trump.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Steersman wrote:

TURKEY
A Thug in Washington

I'm confused. Are you endorsing what Erdogan's bodyguards did? You are aware about what he is doing in Turkey right?
I think he's presenting the behavior of Erdogan's bodyguard as part of the nature of islam.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Shatterface wrote:
I'd feel a lot better about it if he died getting his nut. It'd be sad and comical, but not horrible like suffocating because he couldn't bear living.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Kirbmarc wrote: TL;DR: Social Justice is the religion of those who can't make it on their own and whine to get prizes.
Yes, but I also think there's another dynamic in the whole "Get out of the way" idea popular with the millennials, and this one is not altogether their fault being a product of the education system.

Those of us who had an old-school education were taught that the subjects we were studying were useful. That in getting a job you were going to be doing something useful and contributing. Whether helping people directly like a doctor, or helping the economy and therefore helping people indirectly like a manager or something. Our education was geared towards us learning the useful academic disciplines and the exams were there merely to measure our progress.

With the 'millenial' education, the idea of an academic discipline and being in a position to contribute has been obscured. The 'system' of education, with its exams etc now appears to exist for its own sake, and passing the exams is the whole point. A job, therefore, is not viewed as an opportunity to contribute something useful, but rather just something that you 'take up'. If one person gets the job then no one else can have it. It doesn't matter what is or isn't being produced.

What comes across from this woman's article is that she doesn't appear to value Mathematics or think that Mathematics is important at all. She doesn't perceive that Mathematics has anything to offer society. 'Mathematics' is just a label that some jobs have. She wants one.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Shatterface wrote: I think there's a general hostility to regimentation in the show. Good scientists, like the Doctor, are independent figures. Bad scientists tend to be bureaucrats surrounded by uniformed lackeys: not just explicitly evil figures like Davros but the general rule-bound functionaries that tend to get in the Doctor's way.

That gets rather explicit in the Douglas Adams scripted or script-edited stories in the late Seventies when the Doctor says things like 'They're worse than idiots, they're bureaucrats'. That's the seed of the Vogons, right there.
A lot of Adams' stuff is about pre-Thatcher Britain, which was bureaucratic as fuck.

[youtube][/youtube]

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Mr. X, Indeed wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Right now my only students are very small irrational overly energetic humans
Perhaps some day, she will be allowed to teach rational or even whole students.
Maybe she's delusional and the students are imaginary.
Pretty sure she's talking about her own children - the two new humans she mentions creating and sustaining with her own body in her not-at-all bonkers CV.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

paddybrown wrote: Pretty sure she's talking about her own children - the two new humans she mentions creating and sustaining with her own body in her not-at-all bonkers CV.
Although interestingly enough, she has two CVs online - a "liberated CV" which is full of crazy shit about being denied recognition for surviving white supremacy and creating new humans with her own body, and a "professional CV" which leaves all that out and only mentions "social justice" as one of her interests.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Oh, and only 17 days late:

[youtube][/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Kirbmarc wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: <snip>

I think he's presenting the behavior of Erdogan's bodyguard as part of the nature of islam.
More or less - as I've argued elsewhere:

Maybe great that Trump is prepared to arm the Kurds, particularly in the face of Erdogan's objections, but that he's arming Saudi Arabia - though I suppose it helps with the U.S. trade balance problems - and is apparently still supportive of or clueless about Flynn is a black mark on the other side of the ledger:
Flynn blocked military move Turkey opposed: report

The Associated Press
Published Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:16PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:50AM EDT
WASHINGTON - Days before U.S. President Donald Trump took office, incoming National Security Adviser Michael Flynn blocked a military plan against the Islamic State group that was opposed by Turkey, a country he had been paid more than $500,000 to advocate for, the McClatchy news service reported. ....
Sure looks like a pile of "Danish" rot in the swamp that is yet to be drained or detoxified. Interesting though that the previous head of General Electric is recommending that Trump be more aggressive on that front:
Jack Welch Urges Trump To Go To War Against The Deep State

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I wonder how the "POC can't be racist" brigade will explain away her contempt for "low class folks".

CaptainFluffyBunny

CommanderTuvok wrote:

I wonder how the "POC can't be racist" brigade will explain away her contempt for "low class folks".
How they always deal with racism against whites-ignoring it or joining in the rich contempt for white people. White people deserve it, because of their sin in being born white. They have inherited all the sins of their forebears, and even if their ancestors had nothing to do with slavery, too bad, it is now part of their privilege quotient. But color them (heh) surprised when white people resent this a tad.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

There it is. Her "work."

If she ever gets ahold of meth, she's done.

http://imgur.com/R1HgT4k.png

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

Ape+lust wrote:There it is. Her "work."

It would be fairly easy to sling her a little bump, get her going ya' know...

dogen

Post by dogen »

DrokkIt wrote:

A gram of umpty? 20 years hard, citizen.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

MacGruberKnows wrote:Uhh, latest episode of Dr. Who - 'Oxygen' - do capitalist space suits really turn people into zombies or did I miss something?

This thing had all of the subtlety of something from the Red Opera.
Dr. Who has long since jumped the shark. I often like to have the TV running in the background, and these days if the choice is between, say, recent Dr. Who and CSI:Miami, I'd opt for the better plots and redhead whose acting skills run the gamut from A to Aardvark.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote: What I find interesting is that I've seen the New Who and a lot of the monsters/villains (the Cyberman, the Sontarans, the Silurians) are collectivist authoritarians, so close to how communism actually behaved in practice.
Last time I was impressed by a Dr Who alien - it was when Leeta was talking to that Rutan.
"Life is short, and you are hot, Sally Sparrow."

http://cdn.iflscience.com/images/36acc2 ... effect.jpg

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

DrokkIt wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:
Suet Cardigan wrote:
Oops.
Gaze upon comments in the article and despair:

http://blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion ... t-the-way/
Good lord they are mollify-ingly stupid.
Indeed. Another case in point, hot off the press:
California professor bans college Republicans from Women's History Month events
by Stephanie Hamill, contributor | May 18, 2017, 11:24 AM

The Orange Coast Republicans Club have filed a formal complaint against Orange Coast College professor Jessica Ayo Alabi for preventing Republican students from attending public events on campus. According to the club, three of its members were shut out of the African-American/Women's round table discussion in the Multicultural Center hosted for Women's History Month in March of 2017. ....

The Orange Coast Republicans Club have filed a formal complaint against Orange Coast College professor Jessica Ayo Alabi for preventing Republican students from attending public events on campus. According to the club, three of its members were shut out of the African-American/Women's round table discussion in the Multicultural Center hosted for Women's History Month in March of 2017. ....

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Strangely prophetic, this video. I always loved his voice. Yep, a real shame.

[youtube][/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Right now my only students are very small irrational overly energetic humans
Perhaps some day, she will be allowed to teach rational or even whole students.
She teaches at the University nursery?

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

She's back after 10 days of not streaming, sorry i mean working. 1 hour in the stream and the viewer count is at 10 (including me).

And the title of her stream is "I'M AN AFFILIATE GIVE ME YER BITSSSSSSSS". In other words, she's directly asking for money in the form of amazon/twitch bits that can be redeem for money if your an amazon affiliate. Still no Twitch partnership in sight though.

As im writing this, viewer count is now at 9 (still including me). On the bright side, her followers count has gone up by 2 in the last month.

And now we're at 8 live viewers.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

"For one brief shining moment you were Camelot"

Now not so much.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Oglebart wrote:Strangely prophetic, this video. I always loved his voice. Yep, a real shame.

[youtube][/youtube]
He had a great voice. Sad.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Meanwhile im watching another stream, summit1g, one of the few Twitch millionaires, and he's at 28 748 live viewers with lots of new subscriptions and donations going on. Of course he stream everyday on a fixed schedule and on average he stream around 9-12 hours a day. Luck alone will never make someone reach the top of the professional Twitch streamers.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jet_lagg wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: I thought I clicked the Pit bookmark. Someone must have changed the url to pharyngula on me as a hoax!
For fuck's sake indeed. I bolded where I used the exact words you said I didn't use. And you still missed it.
BTW you two. Check this out In His New Book, Noam Chomsky Takes a Look at Income Inequality

And no I have not been following the argument too closely. I do want to point out Union reps here in Canukistan (well in Ontario ... and Toronto in my experience... and if it is a state run org it appears to be quite likely ... vs say any sort of industry plant?u) are quite likely to be pinko commie nutjobs and it is possible that different people may have different lived experiences. So the two of you may want to quit and reboot while y'all are still ahead. My tuppance at any rate.

Follow the link, read the article. Chomsky is not right about everything but I suspect he is closer to reality on this one.

free thoughtpolice

Andrew wrote:
And no I have not been following the argument too closely. I do want to point out Union reps here in Canukistan (well in Ontario ... and Toronto in my experience... and if it is a state run org it appears to be quite likely ... vs say any sort of industry plant?u) are quite likely to be pinko commie nutjobs and it is possible that different people may have different lived experiences. So the two of you may want to quit and reboot while y'all are still ahead. My tuppance at any rate.
Canada and the US are slightly different as far as unions, I haven't had a lot to do with unions for some time, and their power has faded the last several decades, but here is my take on union people on the west coast:
We have in Canada a third party called the New Democratic Party, or NDP. Their foundation is similar to the Labour in the UK as a union oriented party and frequently take their leadership from the union.
The NDP are left of center with a socialist/capitalist mixed economy model with a few extremists.
Most of the leadership of unions that I was aware of came from that crowd, although I was aware of a few from the shop steward level and low-mid level management that were radical commie types.
So generally lefties, but hyperbole to say they're all commies . And in the US, I would guess the commies would be extremely rare.

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:She sounds like a lunatic.

http://imgur.com/8MH5x7V.png

It gets worse.

http://www.theliberatedmathematician.co ... bout-math/

U of Hawaii might already know she's nuts.

http://imgur.com/oRvFgY5.png
She is a lunatic. Mathematicians HAVE to discuss mathematics with other mathematicians, THAT'S HOW IT WORKS TODAY IN STEM. Geniuses who act alone are a concept of another age, the advancement in the last fifty years alone have been all based on teamwork. A mathematician who doesn't discuss mathematics is about as useful as an electric clock that you keep hidden in your basement: it could be wonderfully complex, but it will not tell you the time of the day.

But she seems not to care about mathematics that much, since by her own admission she's spending most of her time bitching about politics or social justice. Can't understand why she's not successful in her professional field.
She appears to have only one publication: She is coauthor of "The equidistribution of lattice shapes of rings of integers in cubic, quartic, and quintic number fields", with Manjul Bhargava listed as the first author. Manjul Bhargava is a Fields Medal winner (the Nobel of math) who has done excellent work in a bunch of different areas. He's the real deal.

As for this paper - and keeping in mind that this is not exactly my area of expertise - it takes an existing result for n=3 and extends it to the n=4 and n=5 case, using results from Bhargava's previous work. As to how original and exciting all this is, I'd have to say "not very". It takes some existing results, combines them, and slogs through some fairly complex derivations to get where it's going. It's the sort of thing where a competent graduate student would have done the grunt work under the guidance of a much more experienced mathematician.

The same piece of work is sort of the subject of her doctoral thesis. I say "sort of" because her thesis is entitled, "The Equidistribution of Lattice Shapes of Rings of Integers of Cubic, Quartic, and Quintic Number Fields: an Artist’s Rendering". All the math appears to be there in the longer form you'd expect in a thesis, but there's more. The abstract ends with the statement:
We do not assume any of those words make any kind of sense, though we do make certain assumptions about how much time the reader has on her hands and what kind of sense of humor she has.
The acknowledgements section begins with
In the early 1800s when this journey first began, I was but a young and naive graduate student. Centuries later, I am a wife, mother of two, and dare I say, mathematician.

I would like to thank my advisor, Manjul Bhargava, for being in the graduate lounge for Must See TV, for giving me this problem to work on, for guidance, and, of course, patience. I would also like to thank Melanie Matchett Wood for being my local, informal advisor, without whom my thesis may never have survived my relocation and new-motherhood.
There are sections titled "In Mathiness We Trust", "So What If This Were All Just About Unicycles?", "Laysplaining the Count: One, Two, Three Ha Ha Ha", and so on.

This attempt at what I guess is supposed to be humor is actually pretty annoying: If I was trying to do work in this area, this crap would be nothing but distraction. And it certainly would not be acceptable to include in a thesis back when I doing this stuff.

Then again, I once heard a group of these folks laugh their heads off at the following:

Q: What's a semi-monoid?
A: A set that's looking for a operator but hasn't found one yet.

DrokkIt

Post by DrokkIt »

dogen wrote:
DrokkIt wrote:

A gram of umpty? 20 years hard, citizen.
Grudd!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

BoxNDox wrote:She appears to have only one publication: She is coauthor of "The equidistribution of lattice shapes of rings of integers in cubic, quartic, and quintic number fields", with Manjul Bhargava listed as the first author. Manjul Bhargava is a Fields Medal winner (the Nobel of math) who has done excellent work in a bunch of different areas. He's the real deal.

As for this paper - and keeping in mind that this is not exactly my area of expertise - it takes an existing result for n=3 and extends it to the n=4 and n=5 case, using results from Bhargava's previous work. As to how original and exciting all this is, I'd have to say "not very". It takes some existing results, combines them, and slogs through some fairly complex derivations to get where it's going. It's the sort of thing where a competent graduate student would have done the grunt work under the guidance of a much more experienced mathematician.

The same piece of work is sort of the subject of her doctoral thesis. I say "sort of" because her thesis is entitled, "The Equidistribution of Lattice Shapes of Rings of Integers of Cubic, Quartic, and Quintic Number Fields: an Artist’s Rendering". All the math appears to be there in the longer form you'd expect in a thesis, but there's more. The abstract ends with the statement:
We do not assume any of those words make any kind of sense, though we do make certain assumptions about how much time the reader has on her hands and what kind of sense of humor she has.
The acknowledgements section begins with
In the early 1800s when this journey first began, I was but a young and naive graduate student. Centuries later, I am a wife, mother of two, and dare I say, mathematician.

I would like to thank my advisor, Manjul Bhargava, for being in the graduate lounge for Must See TV, for giving me this problem to work on, for guidance, and, of course, patience. I would also like to thank Melanie Matchett Wood for being my local, informal advisor, without whom my thesis may never have survived my relocation and new-motherhood.
There are sections titled "In Mathiness We Trust", "So What If This Were All Just About Unicycles?", "Laysplaining the Count: One, Two, Three Ha Ha Ha", and so on.

This attempt at what I guess is supposed to be humor is actually pretty annoying: If I was trying to do work in this area, this crap would be nothing but distraction. And it certainly would not be acceptable to include in a thesis back when I doing this stuff.

Then again, I once heard a group of these folks laugh their heads off at the following:

Q: What's a semi-monoid?
A: A set that's looking for a operator but hasn't found one yet.
Are you really allowed to write a doctoral thesis using such an informal register in the US?
Respected research math is dominated by men of a certain attitude. Even allowing for individual variation,
there is still a tendency towards an oppressive atmosphere, which is carefully maintained and even championed
by those who find it conducive to success. As any good grad student would do, I tried to fit in,
mathematically. I absorbed the atmosphere and took attitudes to heart. I was miserable, and on the verge
of failure. The problem was not individuals, but a system of self-preservation that, from the outside, feels
like a long string of betrayals, some big, some small, perpetrated by your only support system. When I
physically removed myself from the situation, I did not know where I was or what to do. First thought:
FREEDOM!!!! Second thought: but what about the others like me, who don’t do math the “right way”
but could still greatly contribute to the community? I combined those two thoughts and started from zero
on my thesis. What resulted was a thesis written for those who do not feel that they are encouraged to be
themselves. People who, for instance, try to read a math paper and think, “Oh my goodness what on earth
does any of this mean why can’t they just say what they mean????” rather than, “Ah, what lovely results!”
(I can’t even pretend to know how “normal” mathematicians feel when they read math, but I know it’s not
how I feel.) My thesis is, in many ways, not very serious, sometimes sarcastic, brutally honest, and very me.
It is my art. It is myself. It is also as mathematically complete as I could honestly make it.
I’m unwilling to pretend that all manner of ways of thinking are equally encouraged, or that there aren’t
very real issues of lack of diversity. It is not my place to make the system comfortable with itself. This may
be challenging for happy mathematicians to read through; my only hope is that the challenge is accepted
I think that my professor would have had a heart attack if I handed in something along these lines as my doctoral thesis. Then again I don't have a PhD in mathematics. :lol:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:She's back after 10 days of not streaming, sorry i mean working. 1 hour in the stream and the viewer count is at 10 (including me).

And the title of her stream is "I'M AN AFFILIATE GIVE ME YER BITSSSSSSSS". In other words, she's directly asking for money in the form of amazon/twitch bits that can be redeem for money if your an amazon affiliate. Still no Twitch partnership in sight though.

As im writing this, viewer count is now at 9 (still including me). On the bright side, her followers count has gone up by 2 in the last month.

An A for brass.

She gets a D for skill. She's not good, her followers are idiots.

For example:

http://imgur.com/4VB46Rw.jpg

Oh, no!

http://imgur.com/W5yt6mE.jpg

With this kind of traffic, she stands to lose tens of dollars a year.

http://imgur.com/16fGMFX.png

Which doesn't seem to occur to Phil as he leads the Concerned Brigade.

Phil's an educated man. So is Peez. So is Novella. All of them act like morons around her.

I'll bet she can swallow a bag of grapefruits and hork them up in a single breath.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Can you imagine the stink she would have kicked up if required to remove that shit? Harvard is full of pussies, and they deserve idiots like her.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Lsuoma wrote:CV
Educational Experiences
2015 – 2016
Princeton University, PhD in Mathematics
How the fuck you get a Ph.D. in one year?

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

AndrewV69 wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: I thought I clicked the Pit bookmark. Someone must have changed the url to pharyngula on me as a hoax!
BTW you two. Check this out In His New Book, Noam Chomsky Takes a Look at Income Inequality

Follow the link, read the article. Chomsky is not right about everything but I suspect he is closer to reality on this one.
Chomsky? He's almost to the left of the Cucknadian unions. I'm not going to read his latest, but I hear he's touting the commie one-wage-for-all this time. That always works out well! :lol:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Brive1987 wrote:"For one brief shining moment you were Camelot"

Now not so much.
Okay, kid. Next time the Potato Monster comes for you, you're on your own.

dogen

Post by dogen »

ERV wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:CV
Educational Experiences
2015 – 2016
Princeton University, PhD in Mathematics
How the fuck you get a Ph.D. in one year?
I think she was working on her PhD for some time before that; 2015-2016 is when she went/returned to Princeton and finished up under formal supervision.

That said, quick PhD's are possible. Took me only 2 1/2 years.

:cdc:

free thoughtpolice

2 1/2 years?
That 's not bad for an astrologer. :P

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Ape+lust wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:She's back after 10 days of not streaming, sorry i mean working. 1 hour in the stream and the viewer count is at 10 (including me).

An A for brass.

She gets a D for skill. She's not good, her followers are idiots.

For example:

http://imgur.com/4VB46Rw.jpg

Oh, no!

http://imgur.com/W5yt6mE.jpg

With this kind of traffic, she stands to lose tens of dollars a year.

http://imgur.com/16fGMFX.png

Which doesn't seem to occur to Phil as he leads the Concerned Brigade.

Phil's an educated man. So is Peez. So is Novella. All of them act like morons around her.

I'll bet she can swallow a bag of grapefruits and hork them up in a single breath.
I would say that she is reaping the just deserts of her fomenting outrage culture, but at best she was bringing in enough money from the monetization to buy a 6-pack of beer each month.

It isn't youtube dropping her, but all of the advertisers who are smartly shy of advertising on controversial subjects. And discussions of mansplaining, feminism etc all fall under that category.

All she has to sell is the "poor me" victim stance which has been her bread & butter ever since she stirred the pot with Dawkins. She has nothing else. Not even a work ethic.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Lsuoma wrote:Can you imagine the stink she would have kicked up if required to remove that shit? Harvard is full of pussies, and they deserve idiots like her.
The US higher education system is FUBAR.