Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Sunder »

Starting to like this guy more:

[youtube]LhJ8xQZ6hHc[/youtube]

katamari Damassi

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by katamari Damassi »

Spike13 wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Ape - next time you do a Carrier shoop, could you see fit to include either:

A bonsai tree piloting a Zero fighter.

A wee Jap piloting a bonsai tree.

Cheers.
Please tell me that idiot didn't say that.( bonzai and bonsai are the same word/ thing)

Although both words originally came from China they only bear a cosmetic resemblance.

Bonzai means " ten thousand years" also translated to English as " long life". Taken from the phrase "Tenno Heikka Bonzai" or "long life to the Emperor". Although no one knows if kamikaze pilots actually shouted it as they plowed to their deaths, infantry certainly did as they engaged in "Bonzai " or "kamikaze " charges.

Bonsai Bon -tray like pot. Sai -planting or plantings.

If it was an attempt at humor it was a poor one.
Even worse for someone who purportedly takes history as a discipline.
I'm confused. So why did my little potted tree commit suicide and try to kill me in the process?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Oglebart wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:Sargon of Akkad has posted an introduction to the forum.

He wants some Pit veterans for a livestream podcast.

I took the liberty of suggesting some names.

I've also had a Dick Carrier moment and added my name to the list, although if anyone who's more of Pit veteran than me wants to take part in the podcast I'll slink back with as much grace as I can.
That's interesting, I hope it happens. That's a pretty good list you have put up, but I know Sargon and Milo are big fans of Godfrey Elfwick, so maybe Parsehole would be interested too.

Ultimately though I guess Lsuoma is the guy that makes this place happen, so his call perhaps?
I'll go on it if the timing works. If other people are interested, contact I'd suggest they reach out to Sargulon.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Oglebart wrote: That's interesting, I hope it happens. That's a pretty good list you have put up, but I know Sargon and Milo are big fans of Godfrey Elfwick, so maybe Parsehole would be interested too.

Ultimately though I guess Lsuoma is the guy that makes this place happen, so his call perhaps?
I'd have suggested Parsehole but he seems to have retired from the Pit.
Sargon - just to point out we have some god-level lulz trolls here - Kirbmarc trolled Peezus and his morons with Peezy's own words, and Parsehole was broadcast by the Beeb talking about Star Wars being problematic for an SJW: Dark Raider eating watermelons, and the female lead being chained to a horny space slug.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Lsuoma wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
Oglebart wrote: That's interesting, I hope it happens. That's a pretty good list you have put up, but I know Sargon and Milo are big fans of Godfrey Elfwick, so maybe Parsehole would be interested too.

I'd have suggested Parsehole but he seems to have retired from the Pit.
Sargon - just to point out we have some god-level lulz trolls here - Kirbmarc trolled Peezus and his morons with Peezy's own words, and Parsehole was broadcast by the Beeb talking about Star Wars being problematic for an SJW: Dark Raider eating watermelons, and the female lead being chained to a horny space slug.
And #wrongskin. Never forget #wrongskin. That one made the international press (coming off the back, as it did, of the Rachel Dolezal thing). Parsehole/Elfwick's finest moment.

Sarg definitely needs to know that Elfwick was born here. Our boy Parsehole done good.

That said, Parsehole himself seems kinda semi-retired these days, which is a shame - but the dude has definitely earned his rest.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

deLurch wrote: The board of directors for the NYC Skeptics is here:
http://nycskeptics.org/board-of-directors/
Yelena Bernadskaya
Spyridon Condos
Julia Galef
Michael Feldman
Daniel Korostyshevsky
Benny Pollak
Jamy Ian Swiss
Page Van Meter
Is there some kind of Atheist Name Generator out there we don't know about?

'Spyridon Condos' wtf?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

While Parsehole is our funniest representative, I'd say Aneris, or Skeptickle are our best representatives.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:Novella's article is up

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... d-dawkins/
Two things really stood out to me from that:
This is a complex topic I am not going to tackle or resolve here. Suffice it to say this controversy has caused many in the movement to form various camps, some championing free speech, others social justice.
There can be no social justice without free speech. If you do not understand or believe this then you just don't fucking get it.
To his credit, Dawkins removed his tweet in which he linked to the video. He did this prior to learning about our decision. Likewise, we made and executed our decision prior to learning that Dawkins deleted the tweet.
It all happen within a matter of hours. I don't see how that gave time for people to form an opinion much less get a committee together and have a discussion and votes. This makes it appear to me like they truly wasn't keep up with it at all. Someone made the committee aware of the tweet and demanded action. No one took the time to actual gather evidence about it.

You people are lucky this actually happen and wasn't a hoax because I get the feeling that you would have fell for it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Tigzy »

Spike13 wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Ape - next time you do a Carrier shoop, could you see fit to include either:

A bonsai tree piloting a Zero fighter.

A wee Jap piloting a bonsai tree.

Cheers.
Please tell me that idiot didn't say that.( bonzai and bonsai are the same word/ thing)

Although both words originally came from China they only bear a cosmetic resemblance.

Bonzai means " ten thousand years" also translated to English as " long life". Taken from the phrase "Tenno Heikka Bonzai" or "long life to the Emperor". Although no one knows if kamikaze pilots actually shouted it as they plowed to their deaths, infantry certainly did as they engaged in "Bonzai " or "kamikaze " charges.

Bonsai Bon -tray like pot. Sai -planting or plantings.

If it was an attempt at humor it was a poor one.
Even worse for someone who purportedly takes history as a discipline.
Yep, that's what he wrote: 'Bonzai' - those very letters. It's right there, on his blog. And assuming Bonzai really does mean 'long life', then the context makes Dicky's gaffe all the more amusing.

'We said 'long-life' pilots when we meant suicide pilots.'

Great historying there, Dicky. :lol:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Hunt wrote:

Criticizing feminism is okay, like calling a cop an asshole is technically legal, but if you do it you're spending the night in jail. Can someone point me to an instance where criticizing feminism was ever well received?
When a female feminist tells a male feminist he's doing feminism wrong.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I think we should go easy on Novella. He's clearly suffering from selective amnesia.
He seems to have forgotten that he invited PZ Myers to speak at NECSS after Myers enthusiastically posted a song about a Christian getting gang raped.

http://i.imgur.com/i0zCG9B.png

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Novella wrote:There have been many other points expressed that I do not think are fair. The issue here, for example, is not free speech. Dawkins is completely free to express himself and he has a massive audience and plenty of outlets. Far be it for our humble conference to have any effect on his free speech. That is simply framing the issue in the wrong way.

As an analogy, creationists often complain that firing professors who teach creationism is a violation of their free speech, while the real issue is about academic quality control. In our case, the issue is about our right to craft our own conference the way we wish.
Yeah... no.

Novella is confusing the principle of free speech with the legal right to free speech. Nobody has said anything about the latter, so this is just a straw man.

But it's a deliberate straw man.

Remember: NECSS brought up free speech in the first place! Perhaps Novella would have us forget about that, since he doesn't link to the official statement they made about the disinvitation a few days back. Here it is, in full:
The Northeast Conference on Science & Skepticism has withdrawn its invitation to Richard Dawkins to participate at NECSS 2016. We have taken this action in response to Dr. Dawkins’ approving re-tweet of a highly offensive video.

We believe strongly in freedom of speech and freedom to express unpopular, and even offensive, views. However, unnecessarily divisive, counterproductive, and even hateful speech runs contrary to our mission and the environment we wish to foster at NECSS. The sentiments expressed in the video do not represent the values of NECSS or its sponsoring organizations.

We will issue a full refund to any NECSS attendee who wishes to cancel their registration due to this announcement.

The NECSS Team
Novella wants to have it both ways: on the one hand, it's perfectly fine for NECSS to explicitly trumpet free speech (legal right? principle?) while behaving like censors; on the other hand, it isn't "fair" to call them on it because obviously this has nothing to do with the legal right to free speech... even though nobody's saying it does.

:roll:

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Dick, that's worthy of being linked in the comments. Though I think David Jones has already handed Steve his ass.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I think we should go easy on Novella. He's clearly suffering from selective amnesia.
He seems to have forgotten that he invited PZ Myers to speak at NECSS after Myers enthusiastically posted a song about a Christian getting gang raped.

http://i.imgur.com/i0zCG9B.png
Fuckin hell Strawkins. Another good find. How do you do it?

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

I love how Novella gives South Park a pass (despite this season's merciless shredding of neo-PC) while tut-tutting about the video Dawkins tweeted. If Dawkins had re-tweeted a South Park clip (e.g. that safe-space song) he would have received just as much bile from the usual suspects.

Gee, if only you'd found Dawkins' video a tad funnier eh, Steve?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Tigzy wrote:And #wrongskin. Never forget #wrongskin. That one made the international press (coming off the back, as it did, of the Rachel Dolezal thing). Parsehole/Elfwick's finest moment.

Sarg definitely needs to know that Elfwick was born here. Our boy Parsehole done good.

That said, Parsehole himself seems kinda semi-retired these days, which is a shame - but the dude has definitely earned his rest.
Parsehole/Elfwick was so good social justice dweebs would lie to claim a connection to him:

http://imgur.com/rIE8W0g.png

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Eidetic memory is nature's cheat code.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tapir wrote:I love how Novella gives South Park a pass (despite this season's merciless shredding of neo-PC) while tut-tutting about the video Dawkins tweeted. If Dawkins had re-tweeted a South Park clip (e.g. that safe-space song) he would have received just as much bile from the usual suspects.

That was another thing that caught my eye. He seemed to say that if it was just up to the standard of south park it would have been okay.

Also I think it's telling that he was happy to point out that the woman was based off a real person but not the man.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Ape+lust wrote:
Tigzy wrote:And #wrongskin. Never forget #wrongskin. That one made the international press (coming off the back, as it did, of the Rachel Dolezal thing). Parsehole/Elfwick's finest moment.

Parsehole/Elfwick was so good social justice dweebs would lie to claim a connection to him:

Where were you when Godfrey Elfwick was born? :lol:

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Just for fun, people with a modicum of celebrity that expressed publicly their stance on Dawkins no-platforming.

Against: Shermer, Boghosian, Namazie, Gad Saad, Rubin, Ronald Lindsay (not clear), DJ Grothe, Nuggent, Stephen Knight (Godless spellchecker), Michael Sherlock (don't really know him), Christina Hoff Sommers, Sharon A. Hill (Doubtful news)...

For: PZ, Becky, Steve Novella, Santa Maria, Ophelia ...

Could not find any comments: Maajid Nawaz, Cenk Uygur, Bill Nye, Phil Plait, Ben Bradford, Nick Cohen...

Who else? Copy and add if you feel like it.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Sunder wrote:Dick, that's worthy of being linked in the comments. Though I think David Jones has already handed Steve his ass.
I threw it on the @NECSS twatter feed. Looking forward to SJWs saying that it doesn't count because that was in 2007, and what, people aren't allowed to grow and learn FFS?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

comhcinc wrote:
Tapir wrote:I love how Novella gives South Park a pass (despite this season's merciless shredding of neo-PC) while tut-tutting about the video Dawkins tweeted. If Dawkins had re-tweeted a South Park clip (e.g. that safe-space song) he would have received just as much bile from the usual suspects.

That was another thing that caught my eye. He seemed to say that if it was just up to the standard of south park it would have been okay.

Also I think it's telling that he was happy to point out that the woman was based off a real person but not the man.
That's also because DawahFilms/ Imran ibn Mansur (the inspiration for the "Islamist" character) is utterly insane even by SJW standards. The radfems may rally to defend the Big Red, but they're much less eager to defend ibn Mansur.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gumby wrote:
Sunder wrote:Dick, that's worthy of being linked in the comments. Though I think David Jones has already handed Steve his ass.
I threw it on the @NECSS twatter feed. Looking forward to SJWs saying that it doesn't count because that was in 2007, and what, people aren't allowed to grow and learn FFS?
WRONG!

It's doesn't count because Christians are not oppressed. So he was punching up. Feminist and Muslims are oppressed so Dawkins was punching down.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Gumby wrote:
I've just put it up on Hemant's latest piece: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... onference/

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Tigzy wrote: Fuckin hell Strawkins. Another good find. How do you do it?
The Internet (c/o Strawkins) never forgets!!

Another good catch! :animals-chickencatch:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

comhcinc wrote:
Gumby wrote:
WRONG!

It's doesn't count because Christians are not oppressed. So he was punching up. Feminist and Muslims are oppressed so Dawkins was punching down.
Comhich doubleplusgood duckspeaker.

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

Novella is so right:
"We are not against satire, but this video is no South Park."

[emoji13] Yep, SyeTenAtheist is not on par with the greatest satirists of our time.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Ape+lust wrote:

I can't help but laugh at that.

"I was there, I saw it" - except, we know that they weren't and that they didn't.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

That's also because DawahFilms/ Imran ibn Mansur (the inspiration for the "Islamist" character) is utterly insane even by SJW standards. The radfems may rally to defend the Big Red, but they're much less eager to defend ibn Mansur.

Which just shows their hypocrisy. I am sure the dude is getting just as much harassment as the woman.

And yes I believe these people get harassed all the time. And if I was god I would magically make it stop. The difference between my view and a SJWs is I understand that is a part of being a public figure. It happens to all public figures. Hell it happens to everyone that makes public statements. Some people can't handle it and I understand that. Melody being a fine example. Good on her for deleting her twitter. The rest of us need to suck it up quiet pretending that we actually care about it and get on with our lives.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:
Gumby wrote:
I've just put it up on Hemant's latest piece: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... onference/
Good. Everyone with a disqus acct should go over and upvote it, because the default disqus comment thread view is "most popular comments" as opposed to "newest comments".

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Kirbmarc wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

[youtube]5Jx_7kkuJfI[/youtube]

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Some of Sye Ten Atheists stuff is fantastic I think, I hope he is getting more interest over this. This clever ridicule is one of the greatest weapons against dogma and toxic ideology (not just religion of course)

[youtube]uQBgrUObbHw[/youtube]

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

I do hope Harriet Hall wears an I Heart Richard HATE SHIRT to the conference.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Oy.

Jon Ronson says Tim Hunt considered suicide during his public shaming.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/sexism-shame-scien ... ide-124010

I hope that fucking toad St Louis is getting this shoved in her face.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tigzy wrote: I've just put it up on Hemant's latest piece: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... onference/
rasismisbaddube is a damn good troll.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Kirbmarc wrote:That's also because DawahFilms/ Imran ibn Mansur (the inspiration for the "Islamist" character) is utterly insane even by SJW standards. The radfems may rally to defend the Big Red, but they're much less eager to defend ibn Mansur.
Dawah Man. DawahFilms is another guy.

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

Probably ninjaed but I am days away still, you guys move along too fast...

There is no patriarchy in Birmingham, you heard it first from rabid feminist Jess Phillips

“There is violence against women and girls that you are describing, a very similar situation to what happened in Cologne could be described on Broad Street in Birmingham every week where women are baited and heckled.

“We have to attack what we perceive as being patriarchal culture coming into any culture that isn’t patriarchal and making sure we tell people not to be like that. But we should be careful in this country before we rest on our laurels when two women are murdered every week.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/j ... ex-attacks

Silly cow said that on nationwide TV in the UK; rose to fame a few months ago by stopping an International Men's Issues something or other in Parliament and hasn't been off telly or mainstream media since.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ape+lust wrote:Oy.

I helped you out with that. But I don't think she cares one bit.

x_?_x

Post by x_?_x »

Connie St. Louis had to apologize for making accusations against Milo Yiannopolous just recently, as well.

As far as I'm concerned, she has no credibility, but do regular people do enough research to know that? The uneven playing field (media vs skeptics, basically) makes a person like St. Louis insulated from their own mistakes.

If media pushes her forward as a credible person, which appearances on BBC does, normal individuals might not realize that she has a horrific track record of making things up.

It's incredibly frustrating to see such obvious shams getting promoted by media outlets.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Just archived Myers' 'rape Kent Hovind' video, in case the weasel decides to memoryhole it: http://web.archive.org/web/201601301654 ... kent-hovi/

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gumby wrote:

I helped you out with that. But I don't think she cares one bit.
Wait you are not blocked by her?

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

To be fair to Steve Novella I didn't realise the muslim chap in the video was based on a real person until you shitlords mentioned it so maybe Novella didn't either?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gumby wrote:I helped you out with that. But I don't think she cares one bit.
Oh, good. Thanks, Gumby!

I doubt she cares, either. Still, she needs rubbed in even if it only annoys her.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

comhcinc wrote: Wait you are not blocked by her?
Never tweeted to her before now - not that that matters in this age of block bots. I'm sure she'll block me soon enough.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tapir wrote:To be fair to Steve Novella I didn't realise the muslim chap in the video was based on a real person until you shitlords mentioned it so maybe Novella didn't either?
But are you attempting to make an informed decision on whether to dis invite Richard Dawkins to your big ol' skeptic conference or not?

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

Tapir wrote:To be fair to Steve Novella I didn't realise the muslim chap in the video was based on a real person until you shitlords mentioned it so maybe Novella didn't either?
The feminists we report to didn't tell us Dawah Man was a real guy and David Futrelle didn't mention it either, why are youuu blaming me?

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Nugent's Dawkins post would also be a good place to post Peez's pro-rape vid.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Gumby wrote:
comhcinc wrote: Wait you are not blocked by her?
Never tweeted to her before now - not that that matters in this age of block bots. I'm sure she'll block me soon enough.
That was my point. She has me blocked and I never even thought about tweeting to her.

We are grown men discussing who and what we have "tweeted".

The internet makes fools of us all.

tina

Post by tina »

Kirbmarc wrote:Sargon of Akkad has posted an introduction to the forum.

He wants some Pit veterans for a livestream podcast.

I took the liberty of suggesting some names.

I've also had a Dick Carrier moment and added my name to the list, although if anyone who's more of Pit veteran than me wants to take part in the podcast I'll slink back with as much grace as I can.
Well, don't forget Oolon whatever you do.... :burn:

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

comhcinc wrote:
But are you attempting to make an informed decision on whether to dis invite Richard Dawkins to your big ol' skeptic conference or not?
Oh I agree, but I think it perhaps mitigates a charge of Steve, if he knew both were actual people, only caring about the woman being based on a real person.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tapir wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Oh I agree, but I think it perhaps mitigates a charge of Steve, if he knew both were actual people, only caring about the woman being based on a real person.
I think it looks bad one way or the other.

Either he and the rest of them didn't take the time to do even basic research or they don't care about the guy.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Ape+lust wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:That's also because DawahFilms/ Imran ibn Mansur (the inspiration for the "Islamist" character) is utterly insane even by SJW standards. The radfems may rally to defend the Big Red, but they're much less eager to defend ibn Mansur.
Dawah Man. DawahFilms is another guy.
Thanks for the correction.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

birdterrifier wrote:

Novella is so right:

[emoji13] Yep, SyeTenAtheist is not on par with the greatest satirists of our time.
I'd love to see South Park doing a satire of the Muslim accommodationism in SJW circles. Then another NECSS attendee should retweet a link to the South Park official site. And we'd watch Novella squirm. :popcorn:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

paddybrown wrote:1975 radio sketch by Douglas Adams about a Kamikaze pilot being debriefed after his 19th mission...

[youtube]aZzh2G7noPc[/youtube]

Note. I remember reading the actual script for this sketch in a book many years ago, and it seems the show edited out the best bit. Went something like:

COMMANDING OFFICER: What is the duty of a Kamikaze pilot?
PILOT: Die for the Emperor, sir.
COMMANDING OFFICER: To what end?
PILOT: Make the enemy feel guilty, sir.
In a way, we can think of Chanty Binx' Toronto street performance as a suicide mission for Feminism.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

birdterrifier wrote:

Novella is so right:

Don't bother commenting at Novella's blog. I know from personal experience he blocks the slightest disagreement.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

x_?_x wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:

I can't help but laugh at that.

"I was there, I saw it" - except, we know that they weren't and that they didn't.
To be fair, we don't know where else Parsehole posts, or hangs out in real life. He might have discussed it elsewhere as well.

Imagine if we discovered that "Tony Parsehole" isn't even his real name?

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

paddybrown wrote: Imagine if we discovered that "Tony Parsehole" isn't even his real name?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

I know Tony is real. I was there when he was conceived.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Jones continues needling Steve in his comments, particularly over his former business associate.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

some Plusser cunt wrote:That is why Dawkins is so polarizing. In my opinion, someone in his position, with his eloquence, knowledge, and intellect, with his academic background should be doing everything he can to elevate the level of discussion. He has the ability to address legitimate criticisms of feminism, or atheism or skepticism, if he thinks he has them.
(My emphasis.)

This is how the Plussers view it: not two differing viewpoints best set aside to find common cause, rather a Right side and a Wrong side. Dawkins came down on the Wrong side, rejected the dogma; he had to be excommunicated.