The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
Kirbmarc

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm fucking back off to the mountains!
Keep an eye out for French Bigfoot.
That's an actual thing now. Along with bigfoot in the UK, Norway, Sweden, and Germany.

The state of Bigfoot research is thus: Bigfoot is mostly nocturnal and is very skilled at keeping 50-100 yards from humans while keeping vegetation between them and the researcher. As you seldom glimpse them for more than a second, and the time it takes to spot, recognise, bring up a camera, aim and take a picture takes longer than that... and that even good digital cameras are not all that good at that range, it is a waste of time trying.

The new approach is to "Go and see", where you go out in the woods and just have the bigfoot experience. This has put the focus on the sound and structures left by bigfoot. As directional sound recording equipment is expensive, most recent research focuses on documenting structures.

This is actually very interesting because in America they are finding some very interesting tree/stick structures which are hard to explain. People in Europe have found similar structures and attributed this to Bigfoot, while I have been out in the woods to 'go and see' and found these structures taken this to mean they are not evidence of bigfoot.
The state of research seems to be more along the lines of "people react to sounds and images of dubious origin by attributing them to an alleged entity which seems nocturnal and very skilled (bordering on unlikely skilled) at keeping away from humans. Photographic and video evidence of the existence of such an entity is weak. Sounds and structures of dubious origin are alleged to be evidence of the "Bigfoot" entity, but many other explanations are possible".

I don't think that there is good enough evidence to take the existence of Bigfoot as the default position. The default position should be that some sounds and structures are of uncertain origin (until their origin is clarified).

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

VickyCaramel wrote:
That's an actual thing now. Along with bigfoot in the UK, Norway, Sweden, and Germany.

It's rumoured to be catching on in Tibet too.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

BarnOwl wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:Go on and say it BarnOwl - you didn't want to enact the labour.
I've used that phrase to describe a lazy student, and then had to explain what it meant.

My research colleagues don't get out much. Probably because they're always working on grant proposals. I, on the other hand, am teaching Millenials (many of whom are SJWs) for hours each day.
You would think the meaning would be self-evident for anyone applying a moments thought.

Rather like when Anita Loos in 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' had the protagonist (the shooter) say of another (their victim) that they had 'become all shot' rather than 'I shot him'

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Aneris- Just tell me that the stormtroopers aren't the comical bumblefucks they've been in every movie with the exception of The Empire Strikes Back, and I'll be interested.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

feathers wrote:Jerry Coyne takes apart PZ's testosterone story.
I like how Coyne doesn't give PZ any wiggle room:

Historian
Posted December 14, 2016 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I have a different take on the P.Z. Myers post, which deals solely with the role of testosterone in producing male aggressiveness. This is the key paragraph:

—————
“There will be predispositions caused by hormones and cortical development, but they are going to be far less specific than “join the army, follow a charismatic leader, and have happy times killing people with your boomstick”. Testosterone makes people more aggressive? Sure. But it depends on the dose, and how it is expressed is going to be culture-dependent. Whether it makes you want to kill things or whether it makes you want to dance or create art or make love is going to be a product of your history and social environment. Testosterone is not the villain here, no more than arms are the bad guys causing wars.”

—————–

Myers is not denying that testosterone, which exists in men as the result of their genes, does not play a role in their aggressiveness. Rather, how this aggressiveness is manifested, if at all, is dependent in part on the cultural milieu of the individual. In history, there have been warrior societies and pacifist societies. How males raised in these very different societies would surely greatly influence their incipient aggressiveness.

So, I don’t think what Myers what is saying is very different from what commonsense and research suggest: behavior results from a combination of genes and culture.

Historian
Posted December 14, 2016 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Correction: Myers is not denying that testosterone plays a role in male aggressiveness.
whyevolutionistrue
Posted December 14, 2016 at 11:24 am | Permalink

No, he’s just qualifying its effects out of existence. I have changed the description, though, to say that he thinks the effect of testosterone on aggression is minor compared to the effects of culture. And in my post I’m addressing his and other Leftists’ historical penchant to minimize or eliminate differences between sexes and groups in their behavior, not just Myer’s one claim.

Note how the comments denigrate genes at the expense of culture.
Historian's version is exactly the type of Motte Myers will retreat to when challenged on his conclusion that biology will always take a back seat to culture. The title should give it away "biological reductionism" is just code for "gender essentialism".

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I know the Pit is more of an ongoing pub conversation than a reference library but Kirbmarc's post on sexual dimorphism deserves archiving for future reference.

It's the kind of well argued and comprehensive debunking that, had it not appeared here first, would not be out of place above the line at WEIT.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Great rebuttal, Kirb.

The relativism in postmodernism is a bit more tricky, and while Boghossian is ultimately correct, it's not quite that simple as he makes it. But of course, it's an interview, not an essay. A statement like “no statement is true” is on a first glance self-defeating, after all, it has no leg to stand on if it were true. But it is more precisely paradoxical. Such states exist and they can be formally solved to some degree by not trying to apprehend them “at once” but step-wise, like an algorithm. Depending on paradox and how to deal with it, you can flip between states and are trapped in a loop, or to stay with the metaphor, you can have a fail-state, a crash or a “does not compute”. In a sense, the crashing of the system can be the desired ideological effect for an ideology, and this is the case with postmodernism in its most radical form (though a fascinating idea to “crash the thought system” conceptually, and remember postmodernism is also art and literature, it doesn't work in practice). Let's see why.

Wittgenstein's early work, the Tractatus was a rigorous attempt close to positivism (and mistaken by the Wiener Kreis / Vienna Circle as such). In this work, which he later rejected, he basically writes his philosophy book which attempts to show that philosophizing is obsolete. He notices the apparent paradox, and then tries to resolve it by such a step-wise analogy. He says that one should read his work, climb up that ladder, and once having reached the top, kick away the ladder, having understood the futility of any such endeavour. And of course, by physical analogy, we can think up any number of scenarios where you use some means to reach a new state or place, and afterwards you eleminate the very means that got you there. You can look into the sun until you are blind. You can voluntarily lobotomize yourself into a state where you can't make decisions, and you can climb up a ladder and then kick it away. But it doesn't quite work for beliefs, does it? The very act of having a conviction or belief presupposes something like a truth (approximate or otherwise), and that's where the problem lies. You cannot sincerely believe nothing is true.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface wrote:I know the Pit is more of an ongoing pub conversation than a reference library but Kirbmarc's post on sexual dimorphism deserves archiving for future reference.

It's the kind of well argued and comprehensive debunking that, had it not appeared here first, would not be out of place above the line at WEIT.
The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls...

feathers

Post by feathers »

BarnOwl wrote:My research colleagues don't get out much. Probably because they're always working on grant proposals. I, on the other hand, am teaching Millenials (many of whom are SJWs) for hours each day.
Perhaps you could mail (Cc to all) "I'm going out this weekend in downtown X. Anybody know a good place to get pissed & laid?"

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

So I'm an idiot when it comes to sports, and in spite of a quadriceps muscle strain, I decided to complete the half-marathon almost two weeks ago. I had to walk all but the first mile of it, but I thought "As long as I can finish ahead of the sag wagon, it will be fine." WRONG. I have temporarily disabled myself, but I can still walk (albeit with a significant gait abnormality), stand for long periods of time, and manage the pain with ibuprofen, so I still have to go to work and do my job.

Now check BarnOwl's privilege, 'Pitters. A teaching colleague who's a PM&R physician e-mailed me this week about some information in one of my courses, because xe teaches a related topic in xir course (I'm also a lab instructor in xir course). I provided xir with my lecture notes etc., and then asked "By the way, do you know someone at the university clinic who I could see for this sports injury that I stupidly incurred?" Long story short, I have an appointment next week to see colleague and xir fellows in the teaching clinic - not really a VIP patient kind of thing, and my injury will likely be a teaching exercise for students and residents (which I'm totally fine with, actually), but still. Medical privilege, I has it, bitches.

Also I'm really glad that colleague is not a fucking orthopedic surgeon.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

feathers wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:My research colleagues don't get out much. Probably because they're always working on grant proposals. I, on the other hand, am teaching Millenials (many of whom are SJWs) for hours each day.
Perhaps you could mail (Cc to all) "I'm going out this weekend in downtown X. Anybody know a good place to get pissed & laid?"
:lol: :lol: That is so tempting.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:I know the Pit is more of an ongoing pub conversation than a reference library but Kirbmarc's post on sexual dimorphism deserves archiving for future reference.

Also read Matt Cavanaugh in What gender spectrum? (2014)

feathers

Post by feathers »

MarcusAu wrote:The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls...
"I want to fuck Jennifer"??

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

BarnOwl wrote:So I'm an idiot when it comes to sports, and in spite of a quadriceps muscle strain, I decided to complete the half-marathon almost two weeks ago. I had to walk all but the first mile of it, but I thought "As long as I can finish ahead of the sag wagon, it will be fine." WRONG. I have temporarily disabled myself, but I can still walk (albeit with a significant gait abnormality), stand for long periods of time, and manage the pain with ibuprofen, so I still have to go to work and do my job.

Now check BarnOwl's privilege, 'Pitters. A teaching colleague who's a PM&R physician e-mailed me this week about some information in one of my courses, because xe teaches a related topic in xir course (I'm also a lab instructor in xir course). I provided xir with my lecture notes etc., and then asked "By the way, do you know someone at the university clinic who I could see for this sports injury that I stupidly incurred?" Long story short, I have an appointment next week to see colleague and xir fellows in the teaching clinic - not really a VIP patient kind of thing, and my injury will likely be a teaching exercise for students and residents (which I'm totally fine with, actually), but still. Medical privilege, I has it, bitches.

Also I'm really glad that colleague is not a fucking orthopedic surgeon.
BarnOwl, next week:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... 65dba1.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Aneris wrote:Great rebuttal, Kirb.

The relativism in postmodernism is a bit more tricky, and while Boghossian is ultimately correct, it's not quite that simple as he makes it. But of course, it's an interview, not an essay.
Yes, I'm not saying that Boghossian's interview is perfect. His main weakness it's that that doesn't define many things he talks about and he brings only few examples of po-mo ideological research in gender studies. But as you write it's an interview, not a case study.

My aim was to show that Siobhan's rebuttal is fallacious and based on an ideological understanding of science, not to say that Boghossian shouldn't have been more precise, or that there's no room for more nuance in a more specific analysis.
A statement like “no statement is true” is on a first glance self-defeating, after all, it has no leg to stand on if it were true. But it is more precisely paradoxical. Such states exist and they can be formally solved to some degree by not trying to apprehend them “at once” but step-wise, like an algorithm. Depending on paradox and how to deal with it, you can flip between states and are trapped in a loop, or to stay with the metaphor, you can have a fail-state, a crash or a “does not compute”. In a sense, the crashing of the system can be the desired ideological effect for an ideology, and this is the case with postmodernism in its most radical form (though a fascinating idea to “crash the thought system” conceptually, and remember postmodernism is also art and literature, it doesn't work in practice). Let's see why.
The main problem with post-modernism is that at its very best it provides a useful heuristic to avoid some pitfalls by pointing out some implicit biases, but it's completely useless at building models for reality. Post-modernism can be a source of ideas that can be put to the test, but it cannot provide the means for testing. Every source of ideas is potentially valid, the problem is that without a testing process its validity remains impossible to verify.

Post-modern thinkers have become popular because some of their ideas are, for a lack of better word, intriguing. The idea of reading coded meaning where there's no apparent one is interesting and appealing. However without a successful way of testing the validity of your interpretation there's no way of telling how much value your interpretation has.
Wittgenstein's early work, the Tractatus was a rigorous attempt close to positivism (and mistaken by the Wiener Kreis / Vienna Circle as such). In this work, which he later rejected, he basically writes his philosophy book which attempts to show that philosophizing is obsolete. He notices the apparent paradox, and then tries to resolve it by such a step-wise analogy. He says that one should read his work, climb up that ladder, and once having reached the top, kick away the ladder, having understood the futility of any such endeavour. And of course, by physical analogy, we can think up any number of scenarios where you use some means to reach a new state or place, and afterwards you eliminate the very means that got you there. You can look into the sun until you are blind. You can voluntarily lobotomize yourself into a state where you can't make decisions, and you can climb up a ladder and then kick it away. But it doesn't quite work for beliefs, does it? The very act of having a conviction or belief presupposes something like a truth (approximate or otherwise), and that's where the problem lies. You cannot sincerely believe nothing is true.
I don't even think that po-mos believe nothing is true. They simply believe that nothing is verifiable. It's still a self-defeating idea, but it's an intriguing one because it allows people to attach their own interpretation to reality without having to justify it. The po-mo motto isn't "nothing is true" it's "you decide what is your truth". Which in SJW circles means that they decide what is true, and if you don't accept the narrative then you're not wrong per se, but you're a bigot.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Assuming this isn't a load of crap, it sounds like Russia didn't hack much of anything. Apparently, the emails were leaked by disgruntled DNC insiders and couriered to Wikileaks by the former British ambassador to Uzbekistan.
A Wikileaks envoy today claims he personally received Clinton campaign emails in Washington D.C. after they were leaked by 'disgusted' whisteblowers - and not hacked by Russia.

Craig Murray, former British ambassador to Uzbekistan and a close associate of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, told Dailymail.com that he flew to Washington, D.C. for a clandestine hand-off with one of the email sources in September.

'Neither of [the leaks] came from the Russians,' said Murray in an interview with Dailymail.com on Tuesday. 'The source had legal access to the information. The documents came from inside leaks, not hacks.'

His account contradicts directly the version of how thousands of Democratic emails were published before the election being advanced by U.S. intelligence.

Murray is a controversial figure who was removed from his post as a British ambassador amid allegations of misconduct. He was cleared of those but left the diplomatic service in acrimony.

His links to Wikileaks are well known and while his account is likely to be seen as both unprovable and possibly biased, it is also the first intervention by Wikileaks since reports surfaced last week that the CIA believed Russia hacked the Clinton emails to help hand the election to Donald Trump.

Murray's claims about the origins of the Clinton campaign emails comes as U.S. intelligence officials are increasingly confident that Russian hackers infiltrated both the Democratic National Committee and the email account of top Clinton aide John Podesta.

In Podesta's case, his account appeared to have been compromised through a basic 'phishing' scheme, the New York Times reported on Wednesday.

U.S. intelligence officials have reportedly told members of Congress during classified briefings that they believe Russians passed the documents on to Wikileaks as part of an influence operation to swing the election in favor of Donald Trump.

But Murray insisted that the DNC and Podesta emails published by Wikileaks did not come from the Russians, and were given to the whistleblowing group by Americans who had authorized access to the information.

'Neither of [the leaks] came from the Russians,' Murray said. 'The source had legal access to the information. The documents came from inside leaks, not hacks.'

He said the leakers were motivated by 'disgust at the corruption of the Clinton Foundation and the tilting of the primary election playing field against Bernie Sanders.'

Murray said he retrieved the package from a source during a clandestine meeting in a wooded area near American University, in northwest D.C. He said the individual he met with was not the original person who obtained the information, but an intermediary.

His account cannot be independently verified but is in line with previous statements by Wikileaks - which was the organization that published the Podesta and DNC emails.

Wikileaks published the DNC messages in July and the Podesta messages in October. The messages revealed efforts by some DNC officials to undermine the presidential campaign of Sen. Bernie Sanders, who was running against Hillary Clinton.

Others revealed that Clinton aides were concerned about potential conflicts and mismanagement at the Clinton Foundation.

Murray declined to say where the sources worked and how they had access to the information, to shield their identities.

He suggested that Podesta's emails might be 'of legitimate interest to the security services' in the U.S., due to his communications with Saudi Arabia lobbyists and foreign officials.

Murray said he was speaking out due to claims from intelligence officials that Wikileaks was given the documents by Russian hackers as part of an effort to help Donald Trump win the U.S. presidential election.

'I don't understand why the CIA would say the information came from Russian hackers when they must know that isn't true,' he said. 'Regardless of whether the Russians hacked into the DNC, the documents Wikileaks published did not come from that.'

Murray was a vocal critic of human rights abuses in Uzbekistan while serving as ambassador between 2002 and 2004, a stance that pitted him against the UK Foreign Office.

He describes himself as a 'close associate' of Julian Assange and has spoken out in support of the Wikileaks founder who has faced rape allegations and is currently confined to the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

Assange has similarly disputed that charges that Wikileaks received the leaked emails from Russian sources.

'The Clinton camp has been able to project a neo-McCarthyist hysteria that Russia is responsible for everything,' Assange told John Pilger during an interview in November.

'Hillary Clinton has stated multiple times, falsely, that 17 US intelligence agencies had assessed that Russia was the source of our publications. That's false – we can say that the Russian government is not the source.'

The Washington Post reported last Friday that U.S. intelligence agencies had 'identified individuals with connections to the Russian government who provided WikiLeaks with thousands of hacked emails.'

The paper said U.S. senators were presented with information tying Russia to the leaks during a recent briefing by intelligence officials.

'It is the assessment of the intelligence community that Russia's goal here was to favor one candidate over the other, to help Trump get elected,' a senior U.S. official familiar with the briefing told the Post. 'That's the consensus view.'

The paper said U.S. senators were presented with information tying Russia to the leaks during a recent briefing by intelligence officials.

'It is the assessment of the intelligence community that Russia's goal here was to favor one candidate over the other, to help Trump get elected,' a senior U.S. official familiar with the briefing told the Post. 'That's the consensus view.'

The Obama administration has been examining Russia's potential role in trying to influence the presidential election. Officials said Russians hacked the Republican National Committee, but did not release that information in a deliberate effort to damage Clinton and protect Donald Trump.

Several congressional committees are also looking into the suspected Russian interference.

While there is a consensus on Capitol Hill that Russia hacked U.S. political groups and officials, some Republicans say it's not clear whether the motive was to try to swing the election or just to collect intelligence.

'Now whether they intended to interfere to the degree that they were trying to elect a certain candidate, I think that's the subject of investigation,' said Sen. John McCain on CBS Face the Nation. 'But facts are stubborn things, they did hack into this campaign.'

President elect Donald Trump raised doubts about the reports and said this was an 'excuse' by Democrats to explain Clinton's November loss.

'It's just another excuse. I don't believe it,' said Trump on Fox News Sunday.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

To make it simple:

Po-mo is about people saying "from my point of view I'm right, and the only thing that really matters is my point of view." When different points of views disagree, the po-mo tribe simply says that everyone is right (from their point of view).

The SJW message is that some points of view are more important because they're the points of view of people who are oppressed. SJWs use po-mo to say that those who disagree with them aren't wrong (not necessarily at least), they're just horrible people.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Wasn't there a lot of stuff about a recently murdered DNC person being the source of the leaks?

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

rayshul wrote:Wasn't there a lot of stuff about a recently murdered DNC person being the source of the leaks?
They tend to do that if you don't clean up straight away.

jimmyfromchicago

Post by jimmyfromchicago »

To the surprise of no one who actually thought about her claims for a minute, Woman Made Up Tale of Anti-Muslim Attack by Men Shouting 'Trump'.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

VickyCaramel wrote:

The state of Bigfoot research is thus: Bigfoot is mostly nocturnal and is very skilled at keeping 50-100 yards from humans while keeping vegetation between them and the researcher. As you seldom glimpse them for more than a second, and the time it takes to spot, recognise, bring up a camera, aim and take a picture takes longer than that... and that even good digital cameras are not all that good at that range, it is a waste of time trying.

The new approach is to "Go and see", where you go out in the woods and just have the bigfoot experience. This has put the focus on the sound and structures left by bigfoot. As directional sound recording equipment is expensive, most recent research focuses on documenting structures.

This is actually very interesting because in America they are finding some very interesting tree/stick structures which are hard to explain. People in Europe have found similar structures and attributed this to Bigfoot, while I have been out in the woods to 'go and see' and found these structures taken this to mean they are not evidence of bigfoot.
It is a little more interesting than that, a phenomenon in of it's self.

A lot of these guys say, "The are just boogers, there have always been boogers, everybody has always known about them". So basically, much like native Americans, they say they are just part of natures.... and if you don't believe in them, that's your problem.

So they are giving up on trying to prove them to "science", and they do have a point, short of dragging one of these things out of the woods dead, what evidence would be accepted? And as they are 900lb, they don't much fancy trying to drag one of them out of the woods.

However they are trying to be more scientific, but not in order to prove bigfoot exists, but in order to understand it's behaviour. And if you don't believe they exist, they say, "I don't THINK it exists, I KNOW it exists, and if you don't believe me, go see for yourself".

I find this kind of interesting, you could say this is an evolution of the cult, or you could say this is how you would expect people who know a real creature exists would behave if they weren't believe... to carry on regardless of what skeptics demand.
Frankly, I do think most of them are sincere, although there are others who very obviously aren't. And then there are others who are batshit insane.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Kirbmarc wrote:I don't even think that po-mos believe nothing is true. They simply believe that nothing is verifiable. It's still a self-defeating idea, but it's an intriguing one because it allows people to attach their own interpretation to reality without having to justify it. The po-mo motto isn't "nothing is true" it's "you decide what is your truth". Which in SJW circles means that they decide what is true, and if you don't accept the narrative then you're not wrong per se, but you're a bigot.
Which is all the more strained if you realise these people would rip you a new one if you tell them Jesus Christ was crucified and resurrected to atone for their sins.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jimmyfromchicago wrote:To the surprise of no one who actually thought about her claims for a minute, Woman Made Up Tale of Anti-Muslim Attack by Men Shouting 'Trump'.
Good to see she's being charged with filing a false report:
She was arranged on charges of filing a false report late Wednesday, according to reports.
I think that the police acted very well. The accusation was taken seriously but not blindly believed, and when things didn't add up the young woman was questioned until she admitted to her wrongdoing, and now that it's been clarified that she's made a false claim she is being punished.

The most important thing is that this is in the news, it's documented, and there's no amount of narrative which can defeat this.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

VickyCaramel wrote:

Ha! I used to make stick structures in the woods after I read Sticks by Karl Edward Wagner in a collection of short horror stories. I believe they stole a lot of his ideas for The Blair Witch Project.A lot of people build stick structures in the woods, for messages, reminders or rifle rests. I've done my share of pranks as well, leaving footprints with my size 14 extra-sides in soil where the print will expand and by making weird noises at night for the thrill and edification of those not woods-wise.

After years in the woods of the Pacific Northwest, hunting, fishing and fucking around, I firmly believe bigfoot fans should get the same respect as fans of alien abduction, poltergeists and hollow-earth enthusiasts.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:hunting, fishing and fucking around
Sounds like a good weekend at CampQuest.

;)

feathers

Post by feathers »

rayshul wrote:Wasn't there a lot of stuff about a recently murdered DNC person being the source of the leaks?
Some people are, indeed, impossible to shut up.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

MarcusAu wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, no Jar Jar?
That was the last Star Wars I watched. Something about that character turned me off completely.
Keep you controversial opinions to yourself.
Jar Jar was a spy who played Obie Kanobie and Quai Gone Gin for fools, the animatoers were brilliant in the way they inserted lots and lots of subtle evidence for this for anyone who cares to look back at it, and the tragedy is that Lucas never got to pull on string on the primary plot twist in HIS story, because harder to sell dolls of religious figures that were played for fools.

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

Kirbmarc wrote:
The most important thing is that this is in the news, it's documented, and there's no amount of narrative which can defeat this.
That doesn't matter, as long as the original report got way more coverage than the rebuttal, the impression left in people's minds is the false story.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Saw a silly comment on Jerry's post:
While we’re having a (justified) go at the regressive left, and in concordance with PCC’s headline, we shouldn’t let the authoritarian right off the hook. I can’t think of any biological reason against contraception, abortion or voluntary euthanasia. I’d go further and say that, while the regressive left’s stance is mostly an absurd nuisance, with occasional victims, the authoritarian right’s stance causes real suffering on a vast scale.
Well of course there's no "biological reason" against voluntary euthanasia. Or for that matter, involuntary. You could actually make a pretty credible to the contrary, in fact. Most animals are evolved to kill the shit out of each other, whether for competition or for food.

I just thought that was so absurd.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

make a pretty credible argument to the contrary*

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

VickyCaramel wrote:
It is a little more interesting than that, a phenomenon in of it's self.

A lot of these guys say, "The are just boogers, there have always been boogers, everybody has always known about them". So basically, much like native Americans, they say they are just part of natures.... and if you don't believe in them, that's your problem.
That's not a very scientific approach. It's like saying "the earth is flat, everybody has always known it's flat".
So they are giving up on trying to prove them to "science", and they do have a point, short of dragging one of these things out of the woods dead, what evidence would be accepted? And as they are 900lb, they don't much fancy trying to drag one of them out of the woods.
This isn't true. Bones (better yet a complete skeleton), fur, teeth, fangs are far more easy to retrieve than an alive exemplar. Today a DNA analysis could easily clarify that bones, fur or teeth belong to an unknown animal.
However they are trying to be more scientific, but not in order to prove bigfoot exists, but in order to understand it's behaviour. And if you don't believe they exist, they say, "I don't THINK it exists, I KNOW it exists, and if you don't believe me, go see for yourself".
This looks more like creationism than science to me. I can understand that they're trying to be more systematic and technical in their approach, but many creationists are systematic and produce sophisticated arguments. The problem is that they never contemplate the possibility that their beliefs are wrong, and set out only to confirm them, not to deny them.

In a certain way a more systemic and detailed approach to what is basically dogma is worse than tall tales, because it creates an illusion of competence. It's far harder to debate with a creationist or a conspiracy theorist who already has a systemic theory, because they're more likely to be convinced that the evidence is on their side and to ignore that they evidence they have is weak and that their models are based on flawed assumptions.
I find this kind of interesting, you could say this is an evolution of the cult, or you could say this is how you would expect people who know a real creature exists would behave if they weren't believe... to carry on regardless of what skeptics demand.
How do these people know, exactly? They might have seen "something", but they don't have any real evidence about what they've seen.
Frankly, I do think most of them are sincere, although there are others who very obviously aren't. And then there are others who are batshit insane.
I can believe that these people are sincere and have seen something in the woods. The problem is to understand what they've seen. It's suspicious that no skeletons of unknown animals and/or no bones, fur, teeth or other body parts have been produced and identified as from an unknown animal. Where do those creatures sleep during the day, if they're mostly nocturnal? Where do you hunt (do they leave behind teeth)? Where do they mate or scratch their backs or drink?

There are many methods to study behavior of unidentified animals according to the maps to create models as where it's more likely to find them. I've found this paper, titled "Predicting the distribution of Sasquatch in western North America: anything goes with ecological niche modelling".

The abstract looks interesting:
The availability of user-friendly software and publicly available biodiversity databases has led to a rapid increase in the use of ecological niche modelling to predict species distributions. A potential source of error in publicly available data that may affect the accuracy of ecological niche models (ENMs), and one that is difficult to correct for, is incorrect (or incomplete) taxonomy. Here we remind researchers of the need for careful evaluation of database records prior to use in modelling, especially when the presence of cryptic species is suspected or many records are based on indirect evidence. To draw attention to this potential problem, we construct ENMs for the North American Sasquatch (i.e. Bigfoot). Specifically, we use a large database of georeferenced putative sightings and footprints for Sasquatch in western North America, demonstrating how convincing environmentally predicted distributions of a taxon’s potential range can be generated from questionable site-occurrence data. We compare the distribution of Bigfoot with an ENM for the black bear, Ursus americanus, and suggest that many sightings of this cryptozoid may be cases of mistaken identity.
This is a map with a distribution of the sightings of Bigfoot in the states of Washington, Oregon and California:

http://i.imgur.com/Qjber1t.jpg
Map of Bigfoot encounters from Washington, Oregon and California used in the analyses. Points represent visual/auditory detection, and foot symbols represent coordinates where footprint data were available. Shading indicates topography, with lighter values representing lower elevations.
These other maps are comparison of predicted distributions of bigfoot under the current climate and a possible climate-change scenario, along with a predicted distribution of black bears:

Predicted distributions of Bigfoot constructed from all available encounter data using maxent (a) for the present climate and (b) under a possible climate-change scenario involving a doubling of atmospheric CO2 levels. Results are presented for logistic probabilities of occurrence ranging continuously from low (white) to high (black). Differences between (a) and (b) are shown in (c), with whiter values reflecting a decline in logistic probability of occurrence under climate change, darker values reflecting a gain, and grey reflecting no change. A predicted distribution of Ursus americanus in western North America under a present-day climate is also shown (d). White points indicate sampling localities in California, Oregon and Washington taken from GBIF (n = 113 for training, 28 for testing; compare with Fig. 1) used for the maxent model with shading as in (a) and (b); black points indicate additional known records not included in the model.
The conclusions of the paper contain relevant observations:
The general similarities between distributions of the two ‘species’ [the alleged bigfoot and black bears] are clear (Fig. 2a, d), despite the much smaller number of available black bear coordinates. Furthermore, the exact same bioclimatic variables (see above) contributed most to the ENM when evaluated using maxent’s variable jackknifing procedure. We used the I-statistic (Warren et al., 2008) to quantify the degree of similarity between the two ENMs using the program ENMTools. The observed value of I = 0.849 indeed indicates a high degree of overlap, and falls well within the null distribution generated from maxent runs for 100 randomizations of Bigfoot and black bear coordinates (Fig. 3; P < observed = 0.32). Thus, the two ‘species’ do not demonstrate significant niche differentiation with respect to the selected bioclimatic variables. Although it is possible that Sasquatch and U. americanus share such remarkably similar bioclimatic requirements, we nonetheless suspect that many Bigfoot sightings are, in fact, of black bears.
Does this prove that all bigfoot sightings are actually sightings of black bears? Of course not. Does it, however, suggest that there's probably a strong correlation between the two? It seems likely. Sightings of black bears, many of them in non-ideal conditions (at night, quick encounter, at a distance, of atypical individuals) could surely explain why people sincerely believe in having seen something while not necessarily confirming the theory that a cryptozoid lives in the area.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Jack Wooster wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
That doesn't matter, as long as the original report got way more coverage than the rebuttal, the impression left in people's minds is the false story.
So the rebuttal needs to get more coverage. I'm tweeting it to Cathy Young, who seemed interested in the case and is a generally intellectually honest person.

John D

Post by John D »

You have got to just love American celebrities. They know what's best!!!

[youtube][/youtube]

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Aneris, have you read Film Crit Hulk's essay The Force Alluded To? The guy can be an insufferable SJW half the time, but I've always enjoyed his ideas on film. As a fellow Star Wars geek he nails everything that's wrong with Abrams' version, and points out many of the same issues that you've noted.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Rogue One. I had planned to skip it based on the trailer and just how tedious Edwards' other films can be, but might go this weekend after all.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Kirbmarc wrote:
jimmyfromchicago wrote:To the surprise of no one who actually thought about her claims for a minute, Woman Made Up Tale of Anti-Muslim Attack by Men Shouting 'Trump'.
Good to see she's being charged with filing a false report:
She was arranged on charges of filing a false report late Wednesday, according to reports.
I think that the police acted very well. The accusation was taken seriously but not blindly believed, and when things didn't add up the young woman was questioned until she admitted to her wrongdoing, and now that it's been clarified that she's made a false claim she is being punished.

Except the narrative doesnt care. "A lie can make it half-way around the world while the truth is still getting its boots on."

The original story was picked up by multiple news sources and spread across social media like wild-fire. It reinforced the existing narrative in many peoples minds that Trump's election has caused a spike in the expression of bias. This report that the story was made-up is (a) not getting the same coverage and (b) is spreading on social media through different circles, so while this permeates (somewhat more slowly) the right-leaning side of social media, most of the left-leaning side will never see it and retains its belief that the explosion of bias is confirmed fact. Even if they do see it, it will be dismissed as one incident and "what about all those others?" (And this is where the SPLC's claim of hundreds of reported incidents becomes useful to them -- there were hundreds, so what if one was made up?)

The original story was even more insidious in that it also reinforces the current narrative that average people, even those in highly metropolitan areas like NYC, are afraid to speak out to bigots. Thus its important that we continue to speak out and highlight these things! More Virtue-Signalling! And so the narrative self-reinforces.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

jet_lagg wrote:Aneris, have you read Film Crit Hulk's essay The Force Alluded To? The guy can be an insufferable SJW half the time, but I've always enjoyed his ideas on film. As a fellow Star Wars geek he nails everything that's wrong with Abrams' version, and points out many of the same issues that you've noted.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Rogue One. I had planned to skip it based on the trailer and just how tedious Edwards' other films can be, but might go this weekend after all.
As someone who mostly like Ep7 I don't really understand how someone can take issue with that film but not take issue with Rogue One, a film which has been heavily steered away from its initial premise of a movie where the Empire is depicted as serious and legitimately threatening, with the goal of showing Stormtroopers as the lethal, efficient killing force Alec Guiness's Obi-Wan made them out to be before the rules of adventure fantasy made them unable to hit the broad side of a barn when standing within 100 feet of a main character.

sp0tlight

Post by sp0tlight »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote:You have got to just love American celebrities. They know what's best!!!

[youtube][/youtube]
Celebrities? I literally only recognized one of those (assuming the blonde tart was Madonna?)

Though, I did get a little scared by the ruby-lipped, wide-mouthed frog...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I've just been to see Rogue One meself - my verdict: the first two thirds are pedestrian but okay (it's Star Wars, after all) with a final third act involving an immense space and ground battle which, in terms of action sequences, surpasses any similar sequence in every previous Star Wars film. It is simply spectacular, and rescues the film, IMO.

The character work - well, Aneris was okay with it in xir ( :D ) review, but I wasn't impressed. The central players came across largely as tropes - spiky girl heroine, kung-fu monk, gun-nut, reluctant assassin - and there never really seemed to be anything more to them than those very tropes. My favourite of the lot was actually the robot, who was essentially a kind of droll, wanky C3PO. The main baddie, Director Krennic, seemed to be supressing a snarl all the time, but with no good apparent reason. But hey, he's a baddie, and baddies snarl, so yeah...I guess.

Speaking of the baddies - CGI Tarkin. It's surprising how big a role the computer generated Peter Cushing plays in it, and this is one of the film's major failings. Personally, I'm a fan of CGI - people bitch about it, but really, the fluidity and dynamism from these kind of SFX can be spectacular. However, it has a weakness - the uncanny valley effect, where attempts to simulate human beings (particularly their faces) just seems...wrong. And so, likewise with CGI Tarkin. It's an impressive piece of work, but all too often he seems like a very well drawn cartoon, and it takes you out of the film. This wouldn't have been much of a problem if Tarkin's role had only been a cameo, but as I said, he has a surprisingly prominent role. And given his prominence, I don't get quite the logic in having an unrealistic CGI Tarkin when the filmmakers were quite happy to simply hire another actor to play Mon Mothma, and do so without any CGI enhancements.

However, what's good is quite amazingly good, and most of what's good is in the final third act, when it's basically all out war. Dear god, it's incredible. Just amazing. I'm not gonna spoil it for you. We get Vader too, and a very, very good Vader it is indeed. He's not in it for long, but what there is will not disappoint you. He's a bit of a relentless, brutal fucker. Just as he should be.

So I can recommend it, overall. I'd say that if you're getting a bit restless by the middle of the film, and finding it a bit pedestrain - don't leave! It gets better. It gets very, very good indeed. It gets pretty fucking fantastic, when it comes down to it.

That CGI Tarkin, though. tut.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Lsuoma wrote:
John D wrote:You have got to just love American celebrities. They know what's best!!!

[youtube][/youtube]
Celebrities? I literally only recognized one of those (assuming the blonde tart was Madonna?)

I think that one of them was Bob Odenkirk (Saul Goodman)? And I think the first one was Martin Sheen.

Anyway if this really happens and more than 36 Republican electors actually select someone other than Donnie The Menace, (which I really, really doubt) Trump is surely going to rally his troops and bring the case to the Supreme Court, and if he lost the case it might actually trigger civil unrest among the Trump supporters. Surely it'd be an unprecedented shit storm.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Lsuoma wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

I believe the ruby-lipped frog is better known as Loretta Swit, also known as Major "HotLips" Houlihan. Clearly did not age well.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Do Sasquatch shit in the woods?
Feces contain DNA. In the rain forest it is much easier to establish the presence of large animals by finding shit than spotting the animal or their tracks.
If there is a large animal in a given territory it is easy not only to prove their presence, but also to be able to identify whether they are individuals or more than one. That is unless can make their crap disapoo. :ugeek:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Do Sasquatch shit in the woods?
Feces contain DNA. In the rain forest it is much easier to establish the presence of large animals by finding shit than spotting the animal or their tracks.
If there is a large animal in a given territory it is easy not only to prove their presence, but also to be able to identify whether they are individuals or more than one. That is unless can make their crap disapoo. :ugeek:
Excellent suggestion, I can't believe I didn't think of that! :clap:

Yes, basically looking for Sasquatch crap is what the Sasquatch/Bigfoot believers should do. It should be much easier to retrieve and handle than any other kind of sample.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Dave wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

I believe the ruby-lipped frog is better known as Loretta Swit, also known as Major "HotLips" Houlihan. Clearly did not age well.
Neither did Mike Farrell nor Noah Wyle.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Also, my local picture house played this ad before Rogue One, which I have to admit, did bring a bit of a lump to the throat.

[youtube][/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Kirbmarc wrote:

Yes, basically looking for Sasquatch crap is what the Sasquatch/Bigfoot believers should do. It should be much easier to retrieve and handle than any other kind of sample.
Oh, people look for bigfoot crap all right. Some lab was running tests for years, also looking at fur samples, etc. Bear, dog, beaver. Bigfoot is still a serious business in the Pacific NW. Of course you never find anything, but that's just proof of how tricky and elusive they are. They apparently spend much of their time in vast underground burrow that have also remained elusive.

There is still a need for bigfoot debunkers, as now guys are hauling guns into the woods. As if incompetent hunters weren't bad enough. Also idiots like me often make up campfire tales to frighten the impressionable, and play pranks in the woods. I'm a bad man.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Eskarina wrote:
Dave wrote:
Neither did Mike Farrell nor Noah Wyle.
True, but I have a soft-spot in my heart for Mike Farrell. I spent about an hour chatting with him many years ago (having no idea who he was, only found out afterwards) and he was a very chill guy.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Kirbmarc wrote:

Oh, people look for bigfoot crap all right. Some lab was running tests for years, also looking at fur samples, etc. Bear, dog, beaver. Bigfoot is still a serious business in the Pacific NW. Of course you never find anything, but that's just proof of how tricky and elusive they are. They apparently spend much of their time in vast underground burrow that have also remained elusive.

There is still a need for bigfoot debunkers, as now guys are hauling guns into the woods. As if incompetent hunters weren't bad enough. Also idiots like me often make up campfire tales to frighten the impressionable, and play pranks in the woods. I'm a bad man.
This dingbat lives fairly near me and is an "expert". I happened to look at a map that had sightings and surprise, surprise this area had a huge amount of sightings. I wouldn't be surprised if is some of them may have been me either roaming in the woods or hanging out at the local bar.
[youtube][/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

The new 'Pit subtitle should be "The Return of Bigfoot Skepticism".

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

feathers wrote:Jerry Coyne takes apart PZ's testosterone story.
I stopped reading the crap that Coyne was spewing when I got to: "there is no such thing as The Gorilla and Chimpanzee Patriarchy." If he's too much of a pan-species shitlord to know why, for example, Harambe had to be killed, then there is no hope for him.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

[youtube][/youtube]
Wow, that's quite something. What a bunch of arrogant cunts, I'm glad to say that I didn't recognise many of them, who was the weird plastic surgery experiment with the cod like lips?

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Bah, :nin: by the FT, no less!

Billie from Ockham

Kirbmarc wrote:Good to see she's being charged with filing a false report:
I think that the police acted very well.
To the extent that she was arranged, instead of, for example, arraigned, I would say that the justice system went far above and beyond the call.

Billie from Ockham

Kirbmarc wrote:This is a map with a distribution of the sightings of Bigfoot in the states of Washington, Oregon and California:

http://i.imgur.com/Qjber1t.jpg
Actually, that's a map of known marijuana farms from the DEA with some bigfoot icons pasted on top. Make of this what you will.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

That 'celebrity' video addressed to the electoral college was certainly irritating.

My suggestions to the makers would be

1) No music. Really - just cut the piano completely. It comes across as emotionally manipulative.
2) If you think these are the best qualified people to make your case - then how about either interviewing them or having a panel discussion. As it stands I don't think these people really are the best choices if I was looking for informed political opinion.

This is just actors reading a scripted message, cut together in an attempt to make it interesting. They are addressing the general public to drum up support, but what do they expect to happen if the electorial college does not give them the result they want? The makers of this should have a little foresight.

As for things getting better - I'm seeing the glass as half empty.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

How is the beatification process going?

[youtube][/youtube]

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Oldish video, but it's relevant given some of the recent discussions:

[youtube][/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dave wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Celebrities? I literally only recognized one of those (assuming the blonde tart was Madonna?)

Yeah, she used to be sort-of hot (though I preferred Sally Kellerman, from the movie).

Looks like Swit is header to Wildersteinville:

http://viralwoo.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... n-wild.jpg

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Just checked - Lorretta Swit is 79 years old. I'll think I'll give the appearance-shaming a pass on this occasion.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Dave wrote:I believe the ruby-lipped frog is better known as Loretta Swit, also known as Major "HotLips" Houlihan. Clearly did not age well.
A little more plastic surgery should clear that right up.