The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
AndrewV69

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by AndrewV69 »

Geeze, I had intended to hit preview ... oh well. I can not be arsed to go back and edit it now.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

comhcinc wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:

Rasmussen is a legit American polling company as far as i know.
Rasmussen is known for having a conservative bias. Most people don't put a lot of stock in their polling. By that I mean most major new outlets do no use their numbers. Even Fox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmussen ... erformance
Still, not the media propaganda arm of the clan.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:

Rasmussen is a legit American polling company as far as i know.
Rasmussen is known for having a conservative bias. Most people don't put a lot of stock in their polling. By that I mean most major new outlets do no use their numbers. Even Fox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmussen ... erformance
You mean Klan, and you are right. My point is I would take that survey with a lot of salt because they are known to not be very good at their job. It's not even that people think that they are trying to fake things. Just that they suck at what they do.

I mean just looking at this survey I, the layman that I am, see some issues with it. The biggest is that is automated phone poll of only 1000 people. I just don't buy that is a large enough sample size to make any claim about what Americans think aboot anything.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

A small rant about nothing really, but it pisses me off that I pay for Netflix, I pay for Amazon Prime Video, I pay for Xfinity...and when I want to watch an old movie like "The Thin Man" with William Powell and Myrna Loy, they want me to pay an additional $4! The damn movie is 82 years old for christ's sake. It probably cost a nickel to see when it first came out, but 80 years later they want four bucks. This is why people steal movies rather than pay for them.

Grrrrrrr.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB »

A few years ago, I got dragged in at very short notice (literally overnight) to take over an anthropology course at the tiny local college, when the sole anthropologist on staff got sick about four weeks into the course. The course was Ethnic Relations – not my area of expertise, but I was the closest thing to an anthropologist they could rustle up. I stepped into a minefield.

The woman I was replacing was a true-blue white-guilt-embracing PC-koolaid-guzzling SJW. The textbook I inherited from her was a series of first-person narratives put together by a black ethnic-studies scholar in Toronto, all about microaggressions and white privilege and institutional racism, and umpteen other kinds of racism - limited, of course, to whites, especially whites who don’t realize they are racist, which is apparently one of the very worst kinds. In short, it was an absolutely typical Critical Race Theory screed, heavy on anecdote and very short on actual data; but when I asked the students if the previous instructor had mentioned Critical Race Theory at any point, they just looked blank. That is, the CRT model was being presented as incontrovertible fact. Its assumptions were not being examined, its history and context were not being explained, any kind of critical thinking was not part of the syllabus.

The class was tiny, only eight or nine students, but one of them was a particularly obnoxious SJW who was loving having her cognitive biases confirmed. One was a recent refugee from a trouble spot in Asia, whose previous experience of ethnic relations consisted of her bunch being ethnically cleansed. The rest seemed a little surprised to discover they were racists, but mainly wanted to know if it would be on the test.

Well, I did what I could. I framed it as “playing devil’s advocate,” but we did, by gum, end up examining and discussing the assumptions of Critical Theory. I was stuck with the textbook, though, and it was a stinker. The narratives were all about awful it was when whites were nasty to you, or too nice to you, or ignored you, or didn’t ignore you, or had expectations that were too high, or expectations that were too low...etc. Basically, it seemed opening one’s mouth while white was a racist act, almost as racist as keeping your mouth closed. Further, the narratives by POC were presented as truthful, insightful and significant, whereas the few narratives by white respondents were heavily editorialized and reinterpreted to highlight what the editor considered to be racism.

One narrative was about the racist oppression suffered by the only black kid on a hockey team. No, the coach did not treat him any differently from the other boys. No, the other boys did not discriminate against him, much less abuse or denigrate him. They liked him, and he liked them. But he knew they were racist, because an opposing player once called him a racist epithet on the ice, and his teammates did not rise up to smite the offender.

Now, I thought it would be interesting to present the class with a matching narrative: the experience of the only white kid on an otherwise all-brown team. As it happened, I had one available in my large extended family, who obliged me with a few paragraphs. Here is what I gave the class:

Place: North Surrey. Context: A junior soccer league numerically dominated by Indo-Canadian boys, some born in Canada, some in India. [Name redacted] was the only white player on the top-tier team in the 16-18 age group. Here is how he describes the experience:
“ Initially, acceptance onto the team was nonexistent. In the tryout, I never got a pass from anyone, the only time I would actually get the ball was when I won it myself. Also I was subbed more frequently than any other player because at the tryout the teams did their own subs. Once I made the team, tho, acceptance came slowly. Once I proved that I was the fastest at running on our team I was allowed in because they saw I could be an asset. Also my best friend, who is brown, came to my team, which was a big help.
“ Even after I became friends with everyone, tho, my nicknames were always based around my skin colour, "white boy, Gouda” (means white guy in punjabi). Also they'd poke jabs at white ppl, mostly about white guys more than girls, and they'd do this right in front of me as if I wasn't white anymore and those things shouldn't annoy me. An example would be when talking about treatment at home, they’d all make jokes about how "only white guys get grounded, cause they can't take a hit like a brown person” - where a brown parent would typically discipline by physical force.
“ All in all I made a lot of brown friends and nowadays when I see them outside in real life [i.e., not at soccer] everyone's rlly friendly. I don’t get treated like a typical white guy does by brown ppl anymore (disregard and disdain) partly because they don’t see me as white anymore, just a rlly light brown person. When we go out to parties or clubs I'm the token white that helps them get in and get girls.”

The reaction from the class? They all looked puzzled for a few moments. The one of them timidly put up his hand, and said, “The last sentence is a bit racist, maybe?”

Well, that’s the punchline of this post—but I know it’s anything but funny.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

mordacious1 wrote: This is why people steal movies rather than pay for them.
Because they have an over inflated sense of entitlement?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Service Dog wrote:
Oglebart wrote:
Is that your puppy in your avatar SD? What "kind" of dog is it? (Channeling Ray Comfort there!)

I'm getting a puppy myself soon, probably a border terrier.
Yeah, that's my guy, on the first day we found him. He was 7 1/2 lbs. Now he's 80 lbs.
http://i.imgur.com/nlsXaHi.jpg

He's some kind of hunting hound. Likes to fetch in water, more than anything. Probably half Pitbull.

He has knee troubles, possibly because I let him over-exert, when he was growing. Dogs under 40 lbs are much more likely to recover from knee injuries without surgery, so that's in a border terrier's favor. Apparently border terriers are prone to dash-off when unleashed-- which could be a problem. But they seem sturdy & smart.

This is the best training book I read. Pay no attention to the cheezy 'complete idiot's' title. That's just marketing. The first 2 years, they're still puppies, so dogs will have a short attention span & be more into playing than learning. But then they get serious & it's amazing how much they can learn.
We had to put our 9 yo red heeler down yesterday. She had developed an autoimmune condition which had knocked out her RBCs. No energy, no eating, and unable to digest or keep the medication down. :(

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Well that's depressing as fuck.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I was talking about Rebecca's story er and the posts sort of came up that way. If I'd seen your post before I'd posted Kiwi I'd have given you my condolences. :(

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

I mean just looking at this survey I, the layman that I am, see some issues with it. The biggest is that is automated phone poll of only 1000 people.
That is how poll company do regular polls. The question should be who/where did they polled and i don't have the answer for that.

Mr. X, Indeed

Post by Mr. X, Indeed »

[youtube]MVofgXu9Vnk[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

MarcusAu wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
I started reading Cloud Atlas today, and it begins with a bit about what the Maori did to the Moriori folk. Given that it this is a (pretty good, so far) work of fiction, I checked out a few of the purported facts and...holy shit! :shock:

It left me with the distinct feeling of being damn glad European whiteys mastered international seafaring and got the Maxim gun before the Maori did. Fucking hell, those big tattooed fuckers did not mess around when it came to subjugating other peoples. If you want a brutal and quite gut wrenching illustration of what some decidedly non-white imperialists were capable of, google Maori + Moriori. Liable to dispel any lingering notion about those wunnerful 'noble savage' types you might have had.
My dad used to go on about how the Haka (done before any rugby game - plenty of examples on youtube) - was basically a war-dance - and he translated the lyrics as "Come and be eaten". He also mentioned that canabalism was still a common practice amoungst the Maori within his lifetime. He was quite un-reconstituted in his way.

Anyway, there was not one tribe of Maori, but many - and inter group warfare was a common practice before the arrival of the Europeans. The way it has been explained to me, is that Maori do not tend to recognize the Moriori as a separate group, just as another Maori tribe - and as it is black-on-black violence it essentially becomes invisible.

They did wipe out the Moa though.

Nothing to see here - in other words.
There are of course all sorts of haka for all sorts of occasions, including war. Te Rauparaha's haka, which the All Blacks use, is his celebration of escaping from captivity. He was a bit of a tough bugger, clopping some of the Ngai Tahu down at Kaiapoiahia Pa, and a consortium of tribes who tried to get him on Kapiti Island, etc.

Moriori are recognised as a Maori tribe, who colonised the Chatham Islands (Rekohu). And yep, they got killed and eaten by invading Taranaki Maori tribes.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

rayshul wrote:I was talking about Rebecca's story er and the posts sort of came up that way. If I'd seen your post before I'd posted Kiwi I'd have given you my condolences. :(
It's all good rayshul. It was the right decision, but still hard.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

rayshul wrote:All the massage places were closed.

This is the biggest first world problem I've ever experienced.
There is a good one down by where I work. My Japanese masseuse has hands like Odd Job, and the endorphins feel great.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
I mean just looking at this survey I, the layman that I am, see some issues with it. The biggest is that is automated phone poll of only 1000 people.
That is how poll company do regular polls. The question should be who/where did they polled and i don't have the answer for that.
While I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed I do understand that polling involves taking a sample and then extrapolate that data to the larger populace.

My issue with the sample size. It's not large enough to represent the nation. Also I would point out that most of the better respected polling groups do not use automated phone polls. Rasmussen even points this out themselves. If that affects the quality of the polling I do not know but it is not regular.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

KiwiInOz wrote:
rayshul wrote:I was talking about Rebecca's story er and the posts sort of came up that way. If I'd seen your post before I'd posted Kiwi I'd have given you my condolences. :(

That's what she said?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

comhcinc wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

That's what she said?
She certainly got the knots out.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

comhcinc wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:
While I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed I do understand that polling involves taking a sample and then extrapolate that data to the larger populace.

My issue with the sample size. It's not large enough to represent the nation. Also I would point out that most of the better respected polling groups do not use automated phone polls. Rasmussen even points this out themselves. If that affects the quality of the polling I do not know but it is not regular.
I disagree. Im pretty sure they all do phone survey a lot. Not exclusively though. I mean Pew, CNN and even governments agency do it regularly.

Just to be sure, those search results seem to show how widespread the practice is amongst pollsters. Remember, im not claiming anything on the accuracy of said method.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/n ... ing-118422

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/opini ... lling.html

http://qz.com/717016/one-form-of-pollin ... elections/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated ... one_survey

MacGruberKnows

Post by MacGruberKnows »

Eskarina wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Watson has been doing a Melody.

Apparently she's so overwhelmed with "anxiety" that she has had to self cocoon in her apartment for a couple of months, emerging only to skulk in and out of SkepchickCon.

Her mental illness could explain the apparent death of Quiz-a-thing and her recent Twitter obsession with gaming. I think the last Quiz thing was the January one at Sketchfest where, if memory serves me correctly, Adam Savage caused some problems?

Poor girl. I hope the end, when it comes, is mercifully quick.

[youtube]J6OaPp-yv8U[/youtube]
So she doesn't have a job and won't work, rents a one-bedroom apartment in a US city with one of the highest costs of living, and she's sure she deserves to have a large breed puppy, to fit with her massive ego. All the other dogs at the shelter are "shit" and unworthy of the awesomeness that is Rebecca Watson. She goes to parties on yachts and knows all sorts of important and interesting people, and she deserves to have a certain kind of dog, even if she can't afford one and has absolutely no clue about how to care for or train a dog. Anything less, in terms of size or "prey drive," is shit.

What an absolute cunt.
Totally agree. Good for the shelter lady and the puppy to refuse her.

I wonder what the puppy was thinking of la Watson. :think:
Maybe the dog woman saw the pigsty behind RW, a couch that is a complete mess from what looks to be an unemployed/unemployable person who is too lazy to keep a couch tidy because a person who could keep it tidy would be employable and that is definately not what is happening in this bum's life. This is a females version of the guy asking for money to make the 'Sarkeesian expose' video while donned in nothing but a bath-robe and half-asleep who gives a fuck look on his face.

Oh, this male imbecile:

http://i1.wp.com/www.wehuntedthemammoth ... =600%2C337

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se ... Owen42.jpg

Really. A shave, some red hair dye, doofus glasses, voila, RW in all of her "I could not give a shit' disinteristedness (if disinteristedness is not an actual word I claim dibs on creating it).

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

pro-boxing-fan wrote: I disagree. Im pretty sure they all do phone survey a lot. Not exclusively though. I mean Pew, CNN and even governments agency do it regularly.

Just to be sure, those search results seem to show how widespread the practice is amongst pollsters. Remember, im not claiming anything on the accuracy of said method.

You are allowed to disagree. You are wrong but you are allowed to be wrong as well. Why did you google all those sites and not just read the link you provided?

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... ethodology
Data for Rasmussen Reports survey research is collected using an automated polling methodology.
Generally speaking, the automated survey process is identical to that of traditional, operator-assisted research firms such as Gallup, Harris, and Roper.
Bolding mine.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:
You mean Klan, and you are right. My point is I would take that survey with a lot of salt because they are known to not be very good at their job. It's not even that people think that they are trying to fake things. Just that they suck at what they do.

I mean just looking at this survey I, the layman that I am, see some issues with it. The biggest is that is automated phone poll of only 1000 people. I just don't buy that is a large enough sample size to make any claim about what Americans think aboot anything.
I think Clan was my original input. I'm glad we have a southerner to keep the illiterates straight. ;)

Still. I want to believe that blacks see themselves as more racist then whites because that is amusing. And I want to laugh.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I'm sorry for your loss, Kiwi. :(

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote:

I think Clan was my original input. I'm glad we have a southerner to keep the illiterates straight. ;)

Still. I want to believe that blacks see themselves as more racist then whites because that is amusing. And I want to laugh.
I just don't want to piss off any Scots hanging about.
[youtube]K5lYXaVkA0U[/youtube]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:Cute.

PZ still thinks he is an academic under pressure to publish. Not a cowsville super high-school teacher.
We get so many demands. Publish. Publish lots. Write grants. Write many grants, because almost all of them will be rejected. Teach. Every course is a challenge, and some of us have to teach multiple courses per term. Serve on committees
I saw that one. Somehow PZ resisted the pressure to publish lots. He's now reduced to something like an old veteran who tells war stories that you later learn had a desk job.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

KiwiInOz wrote:
There are of course all sorts of haka for all sorts of occasions, including war. Te Rauparaha's haka, which the All Blacks use, is his celebration of escaping from captivity. He was a bit of a tough bugger, clopping some of the Ngai Tahu down at Kaiapoiahia Pa, and a consortium of tribes who tried to get him on Kapiti Island, etc.

Moriori are recognised as a Maori tribe, who colonised the Chatham Islands (Rekohu). And yep, they got killed and eaten by invading Taranaki Maori tribes.

My historical knowledge goes only as far as - "Was he the one that kept chopping down the flagpole?"

So thank you for filling in the gaps.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

comhcinc wrote:
pro-boxing-fan wrote: I disagree. Im pretty sure they all do phone survey a lot. Not exclusively though. I mean Pew, CNN and even governments agency do it regularly.

You are allowed to disagree. You are wrong but you are allowed to be wrong as well. Why did you google all those sites and not just read the link you provided?

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... ethodology
Data for Rasmussen Reports survey research is collected using an automated polling methodology.
Generally speaking, the automated survey process is identical to that of traditional, operator-assisted research firms such as Gallup, Harris, and Roper.
Bolding mine.
Ive read them. It also explain why it took me 20 minutes to answered although that does not mean much.

First link have "automated" in the short/long copy and the words appear 8 times in the article, in context (automated calls, automated surveys, etc).

The second link also hint why "automatic dialers" are popular amongst pollster for cost reason.

Third link also mentioned "automated" survey. The words appear 3 times in context.

Now if you can explain the differences between automated phone polling by others and automated polling methodology by Rasmussen that would be great.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

And by "automated" survey i mean "automated" phone/calls/telephone, not other methods that could be automated.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

When Rasmussen talks about "automated polling" they mean they have computer and a pre recorded message making all the calls and recording the results. This differs from other places that have a live person doing the actual polling.

automatic dialers have nothing to do with what I am talking about.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

comhcinc wrote:
Kind of like complaining about medical bills that you don't want to pay after already using the service I suppose.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

mordacious1 wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Kind of like complaining about medical bills that you don't want to pay after already using the service I suppose.

I guess.

Of course if you are talking about me, I have already set up payment plans for my medical bills.

Then again you are comparing people's access to health care to people's access to old movies that they want to watch. Pretty shitty thing to do just because I pointed out that you were whiny like an entitled green hair.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

RebeccaB wrote:A few years ago, I got dragged in at very short notice (literally overnight) to take over an anthropology course at the tiny local college, when the sole anthropologist on staff got sick about four weeks into the course. The course was Ethnic Relations – not my area of expertise, but I was the closest thing to an anthropologist they could rustle up. I stepped into a minefield.

The woman I was replacing was a true-blue white-guilt-embracing PC-koolaid-guzzling SJW. The textbook I inherited from her was a series of first-person narratives put together by a black ethnic-studies scholar in Toronto, all about microaggressions and white privilege and institutional racism, and umpteen other kinds of racism - limited, of course, to whites, especially whites who don’t realize they are racist, which is apparently one of the very worst kinds. In short, it was an absolutely typical Critical Race Theory screed, heavy on anecdote and very short on actual data; but when I asked the students if the previous instructor had mentioned Critical Race Theory at any point, they just looked blank. That is, the CRT model was being presented as incontrovertible fact. Its assumptions were not being examined, its history and context were not being explained, any kind of critical thinking was not part of the syllabus.

The class was tiny, only eight or nine students, but one of them was a particularly obnoxious SJW who was loving having her cognitive biases confirmed. One was a recent refugee from a trouble spot in Asia, whose previous experience of ethnic relations consisted of her bunch being ethnically cleansed. The rest seemed a little surprised to discover they were racists, but mainly wanted to know if it would be on the test.

Well, I did what I could. I framed it as “playing devil’s advocate,” but we did, by gum, end up examining and discussing the assumptions of Critical Theory. I was stuck with the textbook, though, and it was a stinker. The narratives were all about awful it was when whites were nasty to you, or too nice to you, or ignored you, or didn’t ignore you, or had expectations that were too high, or expectations that were too low...etc. Basically, it seemed opening one’s mouth while white was a racist act, almost as racist as keeping your mouth closed. Further, the narratives by POC were presented as truthful, insightful and significant, whereas the few narratives by white respondents were heavily editorialized and reinterpreted to highlight what the editor considered to be racism.

One narrative was about the racist oppression suffered by the only black kid on a hockey team. No, the coach did not treat him any differently from the other boys. No, the other boys did not discriminate against him, much less abuse or denigrate him. They liked him, and he liked them. But he knew they were racist, because an opposing player once called him a racist epithet on the ice, and his teammates did not rise up to smite the offender.

Now, I thought it would be interesting to present the class with a matching narrative: the experience of the only white kid on an otherwise all-brown team. As it happened, I had one available in my large extended family, who obliged me with a few paragraphs. Here is what I gave the class:

Place: North Surrey. Context: A junior soccer league numerically dominated by Indo-Canadian boys, some born in Canada, some in India. [Name redacted] was the only white player on the top-tier team in the 16-18 age group. Here is how he describes the experience:
“ Initially, acceptance onto the team was nonexistent. In the tryout, I never got a pass from anyone, the only time I would actually get the ball was when I won it myself. Also I was subbed more frequently than any other player because at the tryout the teams did their own subs. Once I made the team, tho, acceptance came slowly. Once I proved that I was the fastest at running on our team I was allowed in because they saw I could be an asset. Also my best friend, who is brown, came to my team, which was a big help.
“ Even after I became friends with everyone, tho, my nicknames were always based around my skin colour, "white boy, Gouda” (means white guy in punjabi). Also they'd poke jabs at white ppl, mostly about white guys more than girls, and they'd do this right in front of me as if I wasn't white anymore and those things shouldn't annoy me. An example would be when talking about treatment at home, they’d all make jokes about how "only white guys get grounded, cause they can't take a hit like a brown person” - where a brown parent would typically discipline by physical force.
“ All in all I made a lot of brown friends and nowadays when I see them outside in real life [i.e., not at soccer] everyone's rlly friendly. I don’t get treated like a typical white guy does by brown ppl anymore (disregard and disdain) partly because they don’t see me as white anymore, just a rlly light brown person. When we go out to parties or clubs I'm the token white that helps them get in and get girls.”

The reaction from the class? They all looked puzzled for a few moments. The one of them timidly put up his hand, and said, “The last sentence is a bit racist, maybe?”

Well, that’s the punchline of this post—but I know it’s anything but funny.
And your story is (and others like it) are the reason I give any fucks at all about SJW crap. My eldest daughter is starting college courses, and the crap they present as fact boggles the mind. I'm not so much worried about my kids; going to schools where middle classmates ghetto is pretty good inoculation. We also talk about things a lot, trying to find a balance between cynicism and optimism. But so many kids are exposed to these teachings as revealed truth, it's disgusting. They are not allowed to question, not allowed even the slightest disagreement.

Mainstream SJWism has metastasized into even k-12 education, and as we all know, has nearly terminally infested higher ed. I am not optimistic about how to fight it short of social or environmental catastrophe.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Shatterface wrote:Vegans should fuck off back to Vega.
Most vegans are fine. It is only that assholes who try to prevent other people from eating meat that are the issue.

[youtube]wdshBPPHsqc[/youtube]

By all means, temp me to vegetarianism with better recipes. But when you pull the shit above, you deserve to get literally thrown out of the restaurant without care of your physical being.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:
Shatterface wrote:Vegans should fuck off back to Vega.
Most vegans are fine. It is only that assholes who try to prevent other people from eating meat that are the issue.

wdshBPPHsqc[/youtube]

By all means, temp me to vegetarianism with better recipes. But when you pull the shit above, you deserve to get literally thrown out of the restaurant without care of your physical being.

I would say most vegetarians are fine. Veganism is a political movement and those people tend to be cunts.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

gurugeorge wrote:Hang on a cotton pickin' minute, "prejudice + power" - is that any old prejudice?

Must be racial prejudice then.

But racial prejudice is racism, which is a specific form of prejudice related to race.

"Power" is tacked on, but what does it mean? Apparently, something you have whether you're aware of it or not, because of some things your ancestors did.

Once again, we can see that the whole function and purpose of ideology is to broaden the definitions of terms so that anybody can be accused, or excused, of anything, at any time, depending on the whim of the accuser/excuser.
It's all about holding some groups of people to lower standards than others. The "soft bigotry of low expectations", as usual. The groups you give a pass to are groups you think are not capable of living up to the standards you apply to groups you think are capable. People you think of as... what's the word? Oh yeah. Inferior.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

comhcinc wrote:When Rasmussen talks about "automated polling" they mean they have computer and a pre recorded message making all the calls and recording the results. This differs from other places that have a live person doing the actual polling.

automatic dialers have nothing to do with what I am talking about.
Of course it differs from other places that have a live person doing the actual polling but NO. Last link:
An automated phone survey applies the interactive voice response system is any telephone system that interacts with callers without input from a human other than the caller. More specifically, interactive voice response, or IVR, is the technology that automates telephone contact between humans and machines.
Again, first link specifically mentioned automated calls as robocall.
A robocall is a phone call that uses a computerized autodialer to deliver a pre-recorded message, as if from a robot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocall

The second link only mentioned automatic dialers with live interviewers in context of the interpretation of the 1991 Telephone Consumer Protection Act.

The third link does say "automated phone" is not "live telephone" as in not just an auto-dialers that connect you with a live person.
After a statistical review of the three most common polling methods—live telephone, internet, and automated phone
Anyway, i think its time to go to bed.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Really? wrote:I love the introductions in the video of the Carrier/Evans debate.
Craig Evans is the John Bisagno Distinguished Professor of Christian Origins and Dean of the School of Christian Thought at Houston Baptist University in Texas. A graduate of Claremont McKenna College, he received his M.Div. from Western Baptist Seminary in Portland, Oregon, and his M.A. and Ph.D. in Biblical Studies from Claremont Graduate University in southern California. He has also been awarded the D.Habil. by the Karoli Gaspar Reformed University in Budapest. A well-known evangelical scholar, Evans is an elected member of the prestigious SNTS, a society dedicated to New Testament studies...
You know it's bad when you have to acknowledge the credentials of a Baptist Jesusbot are actually better than those of the atheist.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

comhcinc wrote:
I guess.

Of course if you are talking about me, I have already set up payment plans for my medical bills.

Then again you are comparing people's access to health care to people's access to old movies that they want to watch. Pretty shitty thing to do just because I pointed out that you were whiny like an entitled green hair.
I think that was a fine burn by Mordacious.

And like him, I don't understand why you'd have to pay extra for a service you're already paying for.

BTW, remind us how you first saw the new Star Wars movie?

(Sorry, the pre-exam stress is acting on)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm sorry for your loss, Kiwi. :(
Thanks mate. Appreciate it.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
I guess.

I think that was a fine burn by Mordacious.

And like him, I don't understand why you'd have to pay extra for a service you're already paying for.

BTW, remind us how you first saw the new Star Wars movie?

(Sorry, the pre-exam stress is acting on)
If you thought that was a good burn it must be getting to you. It's a driving test. Chill. Teenagers past those things every day.

I don't think he or anyone else is paying for the "access to every movie every made exactly how and when I want it" service. Because I would surely pay 9.92 a month for that if it was such a thing.

I saw the new Star Wars movie in the theatre first I believe but there are lots of movies I pirate. I don't have a right to do that. I am not entitled to them. You will never hear me going on how IP owners should all me full access when every and how every I want it.

I found his complaint about the Thin Man especially silly because it was just on TCM last month, and I am sure his local library has a couple of the film.

Now excuse I need to finish watching Hardcore Harry which I stole off of the internet. ;)

feathers

Post by feathers »

Easy J wrote:He finally paid off those student loans maybe a decade after he earned that BA. In the meantime, he made use of it at a few drug rehab & outpatient clinics where he worked as a general staff member before hiring on at Sears, where he finally made enough to support his family, occasionally pulling in extra cash with part time bouncer gigs. He's since found a niche working at truck repair shops behind the parts counter for decent pay.
So, there's a bunch of blacks in the nightclub trying to provoke a fight with some white folks, calling them 'bird shit' or whatever epithet is in fashion. What's he gonna do?

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Really? wrote:
Her shitty videos where she paraphrases news articles get between 2 and 3 thousand views. Look at Sargon. Look at Blaire White, for fuck's sake.

It is so ballsy of her to claim anxiety. She has and needs no job. She has a coterie of sycophants licking her boots. She does not know anxiety.
Just keep smoking more weed, that'll help, maybe drink more too...

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

In spite of his obsession with peer review (I would call it a fetish, were it not for the fact that he's already got a fetish), Dr. Richard Carrier PhD has actually published very few peer-reviewed papers in decent journals in his field. One of those is an article in which he tries to explain away a reference to Jesus in one of Josephus' works.

I recently came across a thorough review of this piece of Carrier's, which is worth a look if you are into this subject: http://gettingtothetruthofthings.blogsp ... rk-on.html

Another, equally critical review by Tim O'Neill is no less devastating: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-cri ... n-Josephus

The impression left by these reviews is that the peer-review process failed to filter out a piece of crap.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

That sucks Kiwi, I guess you can take comfort in knowing no more could be done, but still a wrench. When my parents Golden Retriever was put down around 4 years ago the effect on my Dad was heart -wrenching, never seen him so upset. That's part of why I've been talking about getting a dog over the last couple of pages, so they can get some enjoyment too.

Becky may be on to something with a puppy helping with her anxiety, but going straight to a shelter and trying to take a large breed without having the room for it to develop is just straight up irresponsible. A good chance it would end up back in the shelter when it reached full size or ate one of her cats. What a twat.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Shatterface wrote:The key error is they take a word everyone understands and insist it means something else. If they want a word that means prejudice+power they should invent their own fucking word.
So I understand it is mainstream sociology that has hijacked and redefined 'racism'? Then that reaffirms my suspicion that sociology is not a science, but marxist ideology and has no place in academia.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
Oglebart wrote:
Is that your puppy in your avatar SD? What "kind" of dog is it? (Channeling Ray Comfort there!)

I'm getting a puppy myself soon, probably a border terrier.
Yeah, that's my guy, on the first day we found him. He was 7 1/2 lbs. Now he's 80 lbs.
[.img]http://i.imgur.com/nlsXaHi.jpg[/img]

He's some kind of hunting hound. Likes to fetch in water, more than anything. Probably half Pitbull.

He has knee troubles, possibly because I let him over-exert, when he was growing. Dogs under 40 lbs are much more likely to recover from knee injuries without surgery, so that's in a border terrier's favor. Apparently border terriers are prone to dash-off when unleashed-- which could be a problem. But they seem sturdy & smart.

This is the best training book I read. Pay no attention to the cheezy 'complete idiot's' title. That's just marketing. The first 2 years, they're still puppies, so dogs will have a short attention span & be more into playing than learning. But then they get serious & it's amazing how much they can learn.
We had to put our 9 yo red heeler down yesterday. She had developed an autoimmune condition which had knocked out her RBCs. No energy, no eating, and unable to digest or keep the medication down. :(
That sucks big time.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Apparently she's so overwhelmed with "anxiety" that she has had to self cocoon in her apartment for a couple of months, emerging only to skulk in and out of SkepchickCon.
Sooo, the video starts with an apology for not turning up sooner, right?

Aaand bingo.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Jack Wooster

Post by Jack Wooster »

Gumby wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: He will eventually end up as Aqualung.
It seems such a fitting end.

http://i.imgur.com/iiq9EmU.jpg
That one is amazingly good.

feathers

Post by feathers »

And she wants a big dog, just for relieving her mental issues, not realising it wouldn't fit in her apartment??? These people act at the level of seven year old children. Thinking you're old enough to criticise a field of science you haven't studied but incapable of the most trivial of household decisions.

Say, Becky, also want a pony?

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Her mental illness could explain the apparent death of Quiz-a-thing and her recent Twitter obsession with gaming. I think the last Quiz thing was the January one at Sketchfest where, if memory serves me correctly, Adam Savage caused some problems?

Just listened to that entire thing and have never been so bored in my entire life.

Oh! To be as unto Watson, able to cure herself from immobilizing anxiety with a little self pep talk! Just say "no", and be cured! Could have saved myself some money and a good deal of painful introspection in therapy had I just held on long enough to hear her "amazing" .. whatever that was. Was that for her Patreon folks? Was it to advertise? How perfectly dreadful and dull.

feathers

Post by feathers »

feathers

Post by feathers »

rayshul wrote:All the massage places were closed.

This is the biggest first world problem I've ever experienced.
[youtube]YHFE6WZK71s[/youtube]

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

feathers wrote:

Sooo, the video starts with an apology for not turning up sooner, right?

Aaand bingo.
Just as a testament to how un-hip I am, I recognized zero of the name she name dropped. I did look up Chase Masterson, and I can say I would definitely be available to take her to Modest Mouse (whoever the fuck they are) if she drops out. Other than that, yes Watson is good, very good, but still not quite so good as the master of the air of condescending insouciance (yes, I've posted this before). Enjoy:

[youtube]eZh_BqJqKns[/youtube]

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I think I'd prefer to hear any one of the British songs that were posted earlier.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

MarcusAu wrote:Jesus - the women round these parts are made of sterner stuff (and with stronger stomachs) than me.

I couldn't even convince myself to press 'play'.
I know what you mean. At least she was turned down for a dog. I'd hate to think of how poorly treated that dog would be. As soon as it became any kind of trouble she'd abandon it like everything else she has had. She really is turning out to be the alcoholic drug-fueled waste of space everyone but her thought her to be. Congrats boozy, you made it.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Eskarina wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

So she doesn't have a job and won't work, rents a one-bedroom apartment in a US city with one of the highest costs of living, and she's sure she deserves to have a large breed puppy, to fit with her massive ego. All the other dogs at the shelter are "shit" and unworthy of the awesomeness that is Rebecca Watson. She goes to parties on yachts and knows all sorts of important and interesting people, and she deserves to have a certain kind of dog, even if she can't afford one and has absolutely no clue about how to care for or train a dog. Anything less, in terms of size or "prey drive," is shit.

What an absolute cunt.
Totally agree. Good for the shelter lady and the puppy to refuse her.

I wonder what the puppy was thinking of la Watson. :think:
You mean you didn't hear the cries of terror? I think it was heard on Mongo.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Also, far be it for me to 'Dear Muslima' poor anxiety ridden Rebecca, but you know there are people with agoraphobia who literally don't leave their house for decades? They're terrified to walk down the street, to go shopping, to travel at all, to have friends, to have a life...

Just sayin.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Brive1987 wrote:I am proud to have been (possibly) included in this august club, if only as a manjina.
Spelled like that, it almost sounds like man-ninja.
:nin:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Eskarina wrote:I wonder what the puppy was thinking of la Watson. :think:
"Too skinny for lunch. Might make a fine chewbone though."

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

feathers wrote:
Spelled like that, it almost sounds like man-ninja.
:nin:
[youtube]aJ0nFQgRApY[/youtube]