The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
The Yeti

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by The Yeti »

Skep tickle wrote:The Brown (University) Daily Herald: http://www.browndailyherald.com/2016/02 ... activists/

Headline:
Schoolwork, advocacy place strain on student activists
Students struggle with mental health, academic pressures as they act on social justice responsibilities
From the article
Justice Gaines ’16, who uses the pronouns xe, xem and xyr, said student activism efforts on campus are necessary. “I don’t feel okay with seeing students go through hardships without helping and organizing to make things better.”

In the wake of The Herald’s opinion pieces, Gaines felt overwhelmed by emotions flooding across campus. Students were called out of class into organizing meetings, and xe felt pressure to help xyr peers cope with what was going on, xe said. Gaines “had a panic attack and couldn’t go to class for several days.”

Deans’ notes helped Gaines to complete academic work while staying involved in student activism.
What a worthless, whiny, piece of shit "xe" is. This special snowflake is so precious that a fucking op-ed that they disagree with caused a fucking panic attack. What a joke. If students at Brown want to spend all of their time doing "activism" over petty grievances instead of studying, then they need to drop out. They should quit eating everyone's time. Besides, a person who can't reas an op-ed they disagree with without having a postbox attack is never going to be able to make it in the real world as a productive member of society.

And Brown seems to be all about supporting this nonsense:
Despite the hardships that students take on in their activism, the University does not want to discourage them from contributing to change on campus.

This work is an “important part of the academic learning experience,” Ferranti said. She was present at the Brown/RISD Hillel-sponsored lecture that was protested by Students for Justice in Palestine earlier this semester, offering academic and emotional support for the protestors.

The University sends deans to activism events not only to monitor students but also to offer support for those involved. “For example, if a student is at a sexual assault event, and the student is a victim him or herself, that student might talk to me about it,” Ferranti said.

Students “might be impacted, something might be triggered or they might suddenly remember more at that event they were protesting,” she added.

Ferranti said she is “proud to work in a place where students come together over important social issues.” As administrators, “we are not just looking at protocols, we’re also thinking about what this means to the students who are there,” she added.
I really wonder how long this is going to last. That article makes it clear that ridiculous "activism" and coddling of hurt feelings takes a priority over learning at Brown. What alumni would want to donate money to a place like that? How many sensible voters are going to support Clinton or Sanders' plans to spend hundred's of billions of dollars to fund this nonsense for even more people?

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
That, and GERTY's crying emoticon. I think I actually gasped at that.
Moon is basically two (three? maybe four) guys on a desert planet. And yet it is so powerful. The perfect incarnation of a great huis clos. I've teared up quite a bit around the end.
And in reality it's largely a one actor on a single set which makes it even more remarkable. I've seen it a number of times. It's one of those films that rewards repeat viewings.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Did a quick video/audio test with Com. It seems to work well.

That's gonna be fun time!
I put a shirt on for you. I was not wearing pants.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Off to watch Moon again.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

comhcinc wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Did a quick video/audio test with Com. It seems to work well.

That's gonna be fun time!
I put a shirt on for you. I was not wearing pants.
I, err...didn't notice.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Tigzy wrote:What the merry fuck is a 'queer shapeshifter'?
If somebody does know, please no pics.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Also try The Chemical Brothers, who did music for HANNA, some of which also ended up (uncredited) in THE HUNGER GAMES.
I saw them live at the Borealis rave party back in 1997 while in the army. Those guys are as close as you can get to Metal when it comes to electronic music.

Also, I was high as fuck.
If you are interested in that kind of this you might want to check these guys out:

https://pinkishblack.bandcamp.com/

Unlike the Chem Bros. who come to rock through electronic music these guys come to electronic music through rock. It's just a drummer and a keyboard player but they manage to make music that's a pretty much Metal without a guitar.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Ericb wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
That, and GERTY's crying emoticon. I think I actually gasped at that.
Moon is basically two (three? maybe four) guys on a desert planet. And yet it is so powerful. The perfect incarnation of a great huis clos. I've teared up quite a bit around the end.
And in reality it's largely a one actor on a single set which makes it even more remarkable. I've seen it a number of times. It's one of those films that rewards repeat viewings.
I didn't realise the computer was CGI when I first saw it.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Maybe I've been reading here too long - and that as the old saying goes:
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

However, I've been living in London - and (perhaps unconsciously) seem to be making note of places of significance to SJW issues. I'm almost thinking of putting together an (anti-)SJW-themed walking tour, if only for my own amusement.

For instance, I've:

- eaten at the Cereal Killer Cafe & visited the Jack the Ripper Museum
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... onstration

- viewed the painting of the Chevalier D'Eon in National Portrait Gallery
http://www.npg.org.uk/blog/soldier-spy- ... estite.php

Just today, I visited City of London Museum - which had a picture and quote by Marie Lloyd, a music hall entertainer - whose entire act depending on saying things that (at least some) other people found offensive.

For example:
"I sits among the cabbages and peas" which she changed to "I sits among the cabbages and leeks" when the former was found to be too lewd.

And then later she commented:
"If I was to try to sing highly moral songs, they would fire ginger beer bottles and beer mugs at me."

So then as now, people could laugh, without getting on their high-horse and displaying their superior moral character by vocally and publically judging everyone else.

Just a thought - the wowsers & temperance union vs the libertines seems to be a social trend that will probably not be going away anytime soon.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

The Nugent situation is getting fucking disgusting.

What the hell is wrong with these people? Fuck, they make convicted frauds like Hovind look like boy scouts by comparison with their scummy, unethical behavior.

CaptainFluffyBunny

The Yeti wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:The Brown (University) Daily Herald: http://www.browndailyherald.com/2016/02 ... activists/

Snip
What a worthless, whiny, piece of shit "xe" is. This special snowflake is so precious that a fucking op-ed that they disagree with caused a fucking panic attack. What a joke. If students at Brown want to spend all of their time doing "activism" over petty grievances instead of studying, then they need to drop out. They should quit eating everyone's time. Besides, a person who can't reas an op-ed they disagree with without having a postbox attack is never going to be able to make it in the real world as a productive member of society.

Snip
I really wonder how long this is going to last. That article makes it clear that ridiculous "activism" and coddling of hurt feelings takes a priority over learning at Brown. What alumni would want to donate money to a place like that? How many sensible voters are going to support Clinton or Sanders' plans to spend hundred's of billions of dollars to fund this nonsense for even more people?
What? You wouldn't hire someone who missed days of school over a panic attack? :twatson:
This demeans the whole of the school associated with this bullshit. Who wants to work with someone so coddled during university that they are likely to break down every meeting?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Also, casting Scott Bakula as the voice of the Dad in Source Code was a wonderful nod to Quantum Leap.

I love it when sf acknowledges its sources.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

MarcusAu wrote:I believe in the 1980's in London - there was a proposal to rename the Cecil Rhodes apartment block to something more progressive and Robert Mugabwe was suggested.
Delighted to see you conflate Robert Mugabe with his currently-named country of Zimbabwe so closely that an extra 'w' sneaks into his name. I do that kind of thing all the time and it gives an interesting into the mechanisms of the mind.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Hey guys! So glad to see the pit still kicking. I'm not ready to dive back in, so don't bother replying in too much detail. I'll be back in a few weeks probably.

Not sure if you guys saw this, but Saudi Arabia was arresting women who went inside the starbucks (I think without a male guardian). Those women should have just used the drive-thru.

:rimshot:

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Shatterface wrote: I didn't realise the computer was CGI when I first saw it.
There was a real GERTY prop. They only used CGI for when's he's moving around and/or using his appendages. You can tell them apart because the prop GERTY looks more beat up and dusty.

Stout

Post by Stout »

Headline:
Schoolwork, advocacy place strain on student activists
Students struggle with mental health, academic pressures as they act on social justice responsibilities
Great comments section below that article, warms the cockles of my heart it does.

feathers

Post by feathers »

http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/ ... 076f80.jpg

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

feathers wrote:
ophelia benson. got it.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Nugent is getting hell from the trans lobby on Twitter, not gonna try to link on phone. Too bad there isn't an autism group to counterattack. They're pretty abelist about that shit.
It's the same shit as the PZ debacle.

Nugent called out Rowe for saying some indefensible bullshit. Now Rowe is trying to put Nugent on the defensive with this "supports hate speech" nonsense. It's "provides a haven for rapists" redux.

I am sickened by the sorry lot of them.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Good to see you back PA

TRGRD

Post by TRGRD »

feathers wrote:
DS9 best star trek

CaptainFluffyBunny

Sunder wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Nugent is getting hell from the trans lobby on Twitter, not gonna try to link on phone. Too bad there isn't an autism group to counterattack. They're pretty abelist about that shit.

Nugent called out Rowe for saying some indefensible bullshit. Now Rowe is trying to put Nugent on the defensive with this "supports hate speech" nonsense. It's "provides a haven for rapists" redux.

Yeah, and since they've linked to the Slymepit on twitter, I will assume some of the little snowflakes are reading. And I assure you, precious little snowflakes that you are doing your cause no favors at all. People are starting to notice you, and outside of your echo chambers and hugboxes, you don't look good at all. So make more noise, raise your hate-filled screeds, mock straight people, white people, anybody that doesn't conform to your standards. Sunlight will wither and melt you all.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

It's been said before but the level of responsibility you can reasonably assign to someone for the content of their comment section is inversely proportional to the level of moderation.

For a tinpot despot like Peez who works pretty hard to weed his shithole blog of badthink, it's fair to assign him some blame for what he lets his curated pack of sycophants vomit out all over his comment section.

But it's fucking beyond farcical to try to hold Nugent accountable not only for what someone else says on his lightly moderated blog, but for what they say outside of it.

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Married or not René Auberjonois always triggered my gaydar.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I just realized I screwed that up.

It's DIRECTLY proportional, not inversely.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MacGruberKnows wrote:OK, downloaded Moon, will watch tonight. If I don't like it I will demand my bandwidth back in full.
In Soviet Netflix, film rates you.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Sunder wrote:I just realized I screwed that up.

It's DIRECTLY proportional, not inversely.
I thought it was the sum of the squares on the opposite two sides.

feathers

Post by feathers »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Yeah, and since they've linked to the Slymepit on twitter, I will assume some of the little snowflakes are reading. And I assure you, precious little snowflakes that you are doing your cause no favors at all. People are starting to notice you, and outside of your echo chambers and hugboxes, you don't look good at all. So make more noise, raise your hate-filled screeds, mock straight people, white people, anybody that doesn't conform to your standards. Sunlight will wither and melt you all.
http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2015-0 ... 633-13.gif

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Also try The Chemical Brothers, who did music for HANNA, some of which also ended up (uncredited) in THE HUNGER GAMES.
I saw them live at the Borealis rave party back in 1997 while in the army. Those guys are as close as you can get to Metal when it comes to electronic music.

Also, I was high as fuck.
Thanks for the tip on the best time to catch the French Army unprepared.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:PZ's white knighting of Watson and, fuck me, defense of Massimo (because of his Dawkins hate) here.
Apparently Jamy Ian Swiss is also coping 100% of the blame for the dis-dis-invitation. On the basis that Dawkins addressed him when declining to participate in the rescheduled pogrom.
http://archive.is/NhUDZ
Given that the original dis-invite was not a unanimous vote from NECSS, would Jamy be one of the two possible no votes?
That was my guess all along. The other 4 are definite cunts.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Definite cunts are the best cunts.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:Also, casting Scott Bakula as the voice of the Dad in Source Code was a wonderful nod to Quantum Leap.
Casting Scott Bakula as just a disembodied voice with a couple of lines was a wise choice.

welch

Post by welch »

John Greg wrote:Welchy said:
That was the one thing I liked about "The Boys from Brazil"....
That movie, Boys From Brazil, is one of the few, "classic" movies or, at least, movies starring classic actors, that I have not seen.

Should I try to track it down and filch a DVD of it?
I liked it. It's not what I'd call a great movie, but it does the story well. (The story is not what I would call great movie material.) The concept is interesting, and one of the few times where environment is acknowledged as being important in a cloning plot.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

welch wrote:
John Greg wrote:Welchy said:
That was the one thing I liked about "The Boys from Brazil"....
That movie, Boys From Brazil, is one of the few, "classic" movies or, at least, movies starring classic actors, that I have not seen.

Should I try to track it down and filch a DVD of it?
I liked it. It's not what I'd call a great movie, but it does the story well. (The story is not what I would call great movie material.) The concept is interesting, and one of the few times where environment is acknowledged as being important in a cloning plot.
I always thought that it should have crossed over with Marathon Man - so Lawrence Olivier could fight himself.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screwtape wrote:
MarcusAu wrote:I believe in the 1980's in London - there was a proposal to rename the Cecil Rhodes apartment block to something more progressive and Robert Mugabwe was suggested.
Delighted to see you conflate Robert Mugabe with his currently-named country of Zimbabwe so closely that an extra 'w' sneaks into his name. I do that kind of thing all the time and it gives an interesting into the mechanisms of the mind.
I sometimes refer to a fictional african immigrant I call "Mimgwambwe". I'm such a xenophobic shitlord.

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm pulling a J C Welch right now, aren't I?
Not with only three in a row you aren't.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Shatterface wrote:Married or not René Auberjonois always triggered my gaydar.
Maybe because "au bere joi nois" is french for 'I like sucking cock'?

welch

Post by welch »

Brive1987 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Ashling is delightful. For one, she drank a pint of Guinness with me while Michael was sipping orange juice (through no fault of his own, he just doesn't drink alcohol). Aside from that, smart and funny, lots of good wit.
Yes, I was quoting her with a happy smile,on my face.

Also look who has come out to play and femsplain as part of the NZ brush war.

http://i.imgur.com/9fNIlcf.jpg
Oh isn't that cute, she's pulling the courtier's response.

welch

Post by welch »

comhcinc wrote:
Sunder wrote:Virtue signalling is something I disliked before I found out there was a term for it. I remember hanging back on Kos before I got completely sick of the place and something like the Chik-fil-a boycott would come up. Immediately you'd be inundated with dozens of people who said that they've never eaten there and also the food is terrible and only idiots like it. Which not only completely misses the point of a boycott (as a non-customer, your continued lack of business is never going to make any difference to them, morons), but is also insulting the people who are actually taking part in the boycott.

Lol I know a lot of people who still refuse to eat at the that place. They don't understand how boycotts work. You make demands and don't buy from and or pickett a place. They give in to your demands. You go into and get some chicken sandwiches. If you don't reward the company for doing what you want your boycott will not work in the future.
The danger is, you get so used to not going there, find other places to go, and so now you don't go back because you just stopped caring about going there. Are they still corporately sponsoring anti-gay groups or is that finally stopped. (I never cared about the Cathy Family's personal views. It was the corporate funding where I drew the line.)

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
screwtape wrote:
I sometimes refer to a fictional african immigrant I call "Mimgwambwe". I'm such a xenophobic shitlord.
I see the protesters outside Zimbabwe House every weekend.

If I was to say that they were mostly white - I'm sure it would be classified as a shitlord-ish expression of privilege. On the other hand if they were mostly black, actually I'm not what the correct PC mandated criticism of them would be.

(For those interested, its actually option 2)

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Pitchguest wrote:I don't think I have the physical constitution for traumas. A terrible thing just happened and I all but lost control of my bowels. A second later and I'd have shit my pants. Weird sensation.
Just put Steersman on ignore like everyone else.

welch

Post by welch »

TRGRD wrote:
feathers wrote:
DS9 best star trek
Fuck. Yeah.

welch

Post by welch »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:I don't think I have the physical constitution for traumas. A terrible thing just happened and I all but lost control of my bowels. A second later and I'd have shit my pants. Weird sensation.
Just put Steersman on ignore like everyone else.
I don't. I've a $20 bet that one day he'll have an original thought.

dogen

Post by dogen »

feathers wrote:
ffs wrote:
Of course the Wikipedia article on Irigaray has been carefully cleaned from this notable factlet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Luce_Irigaray
And our very own HJ "Hung Jerboa" Hornbeck is leading the charge!

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Quick update. I am back home and ready for the chat. There are around 12 of us that want to be in it and there are 8 spots (not including myself) that can be added. The early birds will get the worms here and we can go as long as everyone likes. If someone drops out during the chat I can add others.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

I talked to an Anti-GamerGater recently – in person – that was interesting. My knowledge of #GamerGate is limited to the incidents that rise above the noise and of course the overall SJW situation. I was more interested in an overall perspective since I don't know the details myself.

I was surprised to hear that she found Anita Sarkeesians work “well researched” due to the many games taken into account. Surprised, because she's a researcher herself. She was unperturbed by my doubts about the sample selection, introduction of confirmation bias and lack of context. Things I deemed obvious for an academic.

She only knew about the harassment of St. Aneeda, a bomb threat, and believed firmly that #GamerGaters do this. She was also annoyed by one bloke who apparently ineptly criticized some academical paper regarding video games, and she somehow tied this to GamerGate, too. She then, perhaps as a come back, told me that this isn't the way how academia works: when you have critique, you don't delete some paper, you write a better paper against it.

We got there because of the research we discussed earlier, and it was a friendly chat, but I found it a times akward and uncomfortable and with that knowledge would steer away from this topic the next time. It's probably more relaxed to discuss blasphemy laws with an ISIS combatant.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Brive1987 wrote:
Also look who has come out to play and femsplain as part of the NZ brush war.

http://i.imgur.com/9fNIlcf.jpg
:D

What's also hilarious is that her 'edit to correct misspelling of Ken's name' -- didn't!

TRGRD

Post by TRGRD »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbrRRDbUEAA7L_n.png:large

So I found this on twatter. How do these people not fucking realize that this incredibly paranoid, schizoid outlook that intersectionality has forced on them is fucking awful for their mental health and wellbeing? Why do they keep doing it when it makes them feel horrible and perform like shit in school?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Also if anyone wants to start earlier we can. I am ready to go.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Dunno if my camera, mic or headphones work. Haven't used google+ before. Still making supper for the kids. But I'm 2 beers in. So I'm all set.

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:Also if anyone wants to start earlier we can. I am ready to go.
How do we start? I got an invite from someone on Google Hangouts... is that you?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

If it was Stan Brooks then yeah that's me.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I have my list and I will start inviting people via hangouts. Pleast either have gmail or hangouts.google.com open and ready to go.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

comhcinc wrote:Quick update. I am back home and ready for the chat. There are around 12 of us that want to be in it and there are 8 spots (not including myself) that can be added. The early birds will get the worms here and we can go as long as everyone likes. If someone drops out during the chat I can add others.
Unfortunately, circumstances dictate that I have to miss this chat. That sucks, because I really wanted to be a part of it, but I guess there's always next time. hell I even created a special Google account just for Pit hangouts.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Feminists just love making false rape claims- watch Jenny McDermott slander a fellow youtuber before it gets taken down.
[youtube]_iSIGxTltZE[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Feminists just love making false rape claims- watch Jenny McDermott slander a fellow youtuber before it gets taken down.
Hmmm... right before that she posted a list of people she hates, that includes that guy.
[youtube]TMNSReT4_N0[/youtube]

It is starting to sound like evidenced malicious intent right there.

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Feminists just love making false rape claims- watch Jenny McDermott slander a fellow youtuber before it gets taken down.
Has she ever made a video where she isn't obviously a psycho?

And what a great representative for feminism.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

for those wanting to join there is about four of us. Pm me for a link.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Sunder wrote:

I'd find it easier to laugh about this stuff if Nugent didn't take it seriously. The fact of the matter is that the man is doing actual work. Every time some maladjusted child decides to sling a borderline criminal accusation at him my mind flashes to one of the victories he played a part in in Ireland, and I think about the months being robbed from him that could have gone toward future victories. I wonder if the people behind it are too stupid to realize what they're doing or too evil to care.

It's the same with learning Dawkins took the NECSS disinvite to heart, that all the twitter drama actually stresses him. I'd really love to shake the shit out of an SJW and ask them if they think their contributions compare to Dawkins' or Nugent's, because mine sure as shit don't. So what gives? You say you care about an objective and then you do your very best to undermine it. Assholes or idiots? I don't know.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Did I miss much?