Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
jet_lagg

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by jet_lagg »

Kirbmarc wrote:
If anything it's even worse than what PZ did, because Comhcinc has written that we have "proved" a blatantly false accusation, while PZ just reported an allegation as a fact.

We've all been annoyed by Steersman. This isn't a good reason to falsely accuse him of a crime, especially on a social network.
I took it as a joke. Similar to how we call each other misogynists and rapists. Steersman makes the batshit insane declaration menopausal women are not women, and it's concluded via two gravity-defying leaps of logic he therefore hates MILFs and is therefore a pedophile.

Comh, if you're really just doing it to spread the idea he's actually a pedo, that really is disgusting.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

screwtape wrote: And here you arrive at the point. If you openly claim to be deliberately dishonest (with a fellow pitter, although that makes no difference here) how shall we know when to believe anything else you say? Making an unfounded accusation of this kind is exactly like Peezus throwing his grenade, and however much Steersman has annoyed you, I don't think you want your actions to be classed along with the more dishonest and wretched actions of Professor Roundup. Delete the tweet and we shall think all the more of you.

So I deleted the tweet. Do you think better of me now? You shouldn't. I did it only due to peer pressure. Not even a lot really. The number of people who are upset about the tweet is about the same number of people that were happy about the tweet.

So why should you think better of me? I don't feel bad about it. From the very get go I copped to the fact that it was just mean spirit bullshit. I'm not going to apologize for it. Deleting it changed none of those facts. That tweet was made days ago. It has already passed through everyone's feeds. Anyone that was going to see it has seen it and if you didn't see it when it happened the only way you would know about it is that we are still talking about it.

As to your first point. Yeah I was deliberately dishonest and never hid that fact. I didn't try to cover that up. So why should you believe me? Because I told the truth even when I was lying. Or you won't believe me.

Frankly I fell to see any your logic.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

FUCK :nin:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

jet_lagg wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
If anything it's even worse than what PZ did, because Comhcinc has written that we have "proved" a blatantly false accusation, while PZ just reported an allegation as a fact.

We've all been annoyed by Steersman. This isn't a good reason to falsely accuse him of a crime, especially on a social network.
I took it as a joke. Similar to how we call each other misogynists and rapists. Steersman makes the batshit insane declaration menopausal women are not women, and it's concluded via two gravity-defying leaps of logic he therefore hates MILFs and is therefore a pedophile.

Comh, if you're really just doing it to spread the idea he's actually a pedo, that really is disgusting.
Yes, I know it's a joke. If it was here I wouldn't have been bothered very much by it. However this isn't a joke to make on a public social network.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Ape+lust wrote:A little history. According to Google, this is the first instance of Rebecca posting on Peez's blog.

By the second post, she's informed everyone she swallows.

Thus began the infatuation and aching testicles that blew up the atheo-skepto-sphere a few years later.

http://imgur.com/wpmwcIa.png
She also admits to have traded sex for food. I wonder exactly how much food I have to give her to get a blowjob in return? :think:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:If anything it's even worse than what PZ did, because Comhcinc has written that we have "proved" a blatantly false accusation, while PZ just reported an allegation as a fact.

Would it be insensitive of me to suggest that after the tweet is deleted, Com and Steers shake hands and then make out a little? I want everyone to be friends! :lol:
Deleting the tweet would be enough. I don't think that comhcinc is a robosexual.
I'll bet Com would do it. I'm not so sure that Steers would though. :D

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:A little history. According to Google, this is the first instance of Rebecca posting on Peez's blog.

Thus began the infatuation and aching testicles that blew up the atheo-skepto-sphere a few years later.

She also admits to have traded sex for food. I wonder exactly how much food I have to give her to get a blowjob in return? :think:
Alcohol. Jesus's blood represents wine. She traded sex for alcohol.

She does not strike me as a cheap date. Id say a bottle of vodka would get you a bj, two if you want the full potato.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Yes, I know it's a joke. If it was here I wouldn't have been bothered very much by it. However this isn't a joke to make on a public social network.

This place is as public as my tweet feed and frankly seen by a lot more people daily. Again I am failing to see the logic (yes I know last time it was screwtape's logic I failed to see).

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Zvan has spoken, and has provided her valued wisdom on the Dawkins matter in an open letter to CFI.

I hate open letters, especially poorly written ones like Zvan's. Thank god she is so totally irrelevant that 90% of the 10 people who read it will most likely be Pitters.

Most of it reads like a headmistress telling off a bunch of 4th formers caught smoking behind the bike sheds:
Let me start this by offering my sympathy. You have what was probably a tough decision just behind you. You have another ahead. You haven’t had much time to be comfortable that you made the right decision in between. You have no options that will please everyone or even any options that will not sadden and anger many people.

That said, I’m writing this to make sure you understand the full import of what’s ahead of you. When someone like Richard Dawkins conjures up a new storm on the internet every week or two, it’s easy to slip into the habit of thinking they’re all the same and they’ll all blow over. That isn’t the case here.

CFI now has a harassment denialist on its board, a harassment denialist who has tied his denialism to his work at your organization. And being who he is, given the reach he has, everyone now knows this.
Here's the link if you must:

https://web.archive.org/save/http://fre ... cfi-board/

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

This place is as public as my tweet feed and frankly seen by a lot more people daily. Again I am failing to see the logic (yes I know last time it was screwtape's logic I failed to see).
Here there is the context. Not so much on your twitter feed.

Frankly, I think it was a shitty thing to do, as you admit. But not so terrible to justify all the hand wringing that has gone on over it.

Conversely, I dont think doing it here was at all shitty. Par for the course, actually.

Now Im going to stop saying shitty before I manage to summon Mykeru.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

HunnyBunny wrote:Zvan has spoken, and has provided her valued wisdom on the Dawkins matter in an open letter to CFI.

I hate open letters, especially poorly written ones like Zvan's. Thank god she is so totally irrelevant that 90% of the 10 people who read it will most likely be Pitters.

Most of it reads like a headmistress telling off a bunch of 4th formers caught smoking behind the bike sheds:
Let me start this by offering my sympathy. You have what was probably a tough decision just behind you. You have another ahead. You haven’t had much time to be comfortable that you made the right decision in between. You have no options that will please everyone or even any options that will not sadden and anger many people.

That said, I’m writing this to make sure you understand the full import of what’s ahead of you. When someone like Richard Dawkins conjures up a new storm on the internet every week or two, it’s easy to slip into the habit of thinking they’re all the same and they’ll all blow over. That isn’t the case here.

CFI now has a harassment denialist on its board, a harassment denialist who has tied his denialism to his work at your organization. And being who he is, given the reach he has, everyone now knows this.

A harassment denialist?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Dave wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Alcohol. Jesus's blood represents wine. She traded sex for alcohol.

She does not strike me as a cheap date. Id say a bottle of vodka would get you a bj, two if you want the full potato.
Are you referring here to Watson or the vodka?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

comhcinc wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

There are plenty of people/bots who look for keywords on Twitter. I've been retweeted by people who correct "doxx" with "dox" or who retweet every tweet that contains the word "internet".

It's a public place. People have been arrested for posting jokes about having bombs in their luggage.

cnut the great

Post by cnut the great »

HunnyBunny wrote:Personally, I wouldn't rank is in the league of greatest achievements. KirbMarc's epic trolling of PZ with his own words, Brive's Carrier publishing denouement, Parsehole's magnificent Godfrey Elfwick does Starwars, and if I may be so bold, The Avicenna Termination - so many great moments in the life of The Pit.
Next year's cunties should perhaps include more categories, like Epic Troll of the Year, Indecent Hypocrisy Exposure Gold Star, Outstanding Achievement in Pit Art, etc

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

There are plenty of people/bots who look for keywords on Twitter. I've been retweeted by people who correct "doxx" with "dox" or who retweet every tweet that contains the word "internet".

It's a public place. People have been arrested for posting jokes about having bombs in their luggage.
This is a public place that also has bots. Again this site gets more traffic than my twitter. We know that there are people that really dislike us here that are happy to put the most negative spin on anything that happens here. I just don't think your argument of it's okay here but not okay there holds up.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Dave wrote:Now Im going to stop saying shitty before I manage to summon Mykeru.
You're doing it wrong. You need to say "Mykeru" three times while kneeling in front of a toilet that is sporting a floater.

ps. the two eyes on his skull really are different sizes; it's not an illusion or a failure of Ermmert's Law

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

cnut the great wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:Personally, I wouldn't rank is in the league of greatest achievements. KirbMarc's epic trolling of PZ with his own words, Brive's Carrier publishing denouement, Parsehole's magnificent Godfrey Elfwick does Starwars, and if I may be so bold, The Avicenna Termination - so many great moments in the life of The Pit.
Next year's cunties should perhaps include more categories, like Epic Troll of the Year, Indecent Hypocrisy Exposure Gold Star, Outstanding Achievement in Pit Art, etc
Lets not forget the Mountains out of Molehills award. I nominate #Tweetgate.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

comhcinc wrote:A harassment denialist?

Yeah, no shit. Steam fluffer. Toothpaste wrangler.

Guest_0048cc29

Post by Guest_0048cc29 »

On twitter 215 people may have seen it, that's comhcinc's follower list.

But many more will see it if they search Steersman or search pedophile and he is all over twitter, won't keep his shiny metal ass to himself.

If people read it here, then they have come here to find it, and there is a reasonable hope they realize teh statement was made within the context of a community.

Really, unless Steersman is referring to the pit when he goes Terminator on twitter, or unless you feel compelled by some Watsonista to distance yourself from something he has said, there is zero reason to defame him on twitter, which killed nuance and context after the 141st character was ever tweeted.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
Dave wrote:Now Im going to stop saying shitty before I manage to summon Mykeru.
You're doing it wrong. You need to say "Mykeru" three times while kneeling in front of a toilet that is sporting a floater.
Ahh. Good, doing that should be fairly easy to avoid.
ps. the two eyes on his skull really are different sizes; it's not an illusion or a failure of Ermmert's Law
You have clearly spent far more time staring at his avatar than I have.

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

screwtape wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:RE: Dane-geld

Yesterday somebody tweeted to Dawkins that you should never apologize to SJWs because they are never satisfied and just smell weakness, to which he said something like, "I am beginning to see that now".

I suspect Dane-geld is a reference to appeasement. And I don't see why he should appease them, this is 1944 not 1938.
Agreed: he implies that NECSS sacrificing his attendance to appease the SJWs was akin to paying protection money to the Danes. Now they up their demands and keep coming back for more.
I don't think they (he/she??) did it to appease the SJW, they did it because they're SJW themselves.

Billie from Ockham

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:If people read it here, then they have come here to find it, and there is a reasonable hope they realize teh statement was made within the context of a community.
I have no fucking clue what this means, but if you're suggesting that this is a "community" that condones outright libel, then Lsuoma is doing something terribly wrong.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:But many more will see it if they search Steersman or search pedophile and he is all over twitter, won't keep his shiny metal ass to himself.

Try that and see what comes up.

Billie from Ockham

Dave wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:ps. the two eyes on his skull really are different sizes; it's not an illusion or a failure of Ermmert's Law
You have clearly spent far more time staring at his avatar than I have.
Hypno-toad made me do it! I swear.

(But who the hell was "Ermmert"?)

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Ape+lust wrote:Yeah, very bizarre. I still expect to hear Oolon announce his womanhood one day.
I think he's so oily he wouldn't need surgery, his dick would just slide off of its own accord.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Zvan wrote:A friend who is an up-and-coming science-communication star contacted me to let me know that she was dropping out of this year’s Women in Secularism conference.
Ooh, la-di-da. She knows a star. Stephanie Zvan, undercover glitterati.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Ape+lust wrote:
Zvan wrote:A friend who is an up-and-coming science-communication star contacted me to let me know that she was dropping out of this year’s Women in Secularism conference.
I bet it's Watson.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

There are a couple of odd things about Dawkins' tweet about the Sye Ten video.

His comment about it being only 'about a minority of feminists' is a bit odd. I understand that he was trying to support 'equity feminism' in only 140 chars but he didn't put it very well.

The (genius) video wasn't addressing the behaviour of feminists, or saying they are like islamists in the sense of being violent or intimidating. It was pointing out the similarities in ideology, and, particularly, that both ideologies require a similar lexicography of jargon geared mainly towards re-inforcing the group's thoughts and identity and labelling outsiders. It was very sharply focussed and making a particular point.

Sye's beef, therefore is with certain bad ideas which are associated with feminism, not with a specific group of feminists. Dawkins' comment seemed rather to blunt that message than carry it forward.

Also Dawkins seems to be focussing on the wrong thing - Big Red. A Big Red Herring if you will. That bit of bad behaviour was its own punishment for her and was ages ago. It's far too late now to worrit about who did or didn't apologise to whom all those years ago, and a bit weird. I haven't heard anything from BR since, and I'm quite happy to assume that she's put it behind her, grown up and moved on and good luck to her.

It's strange that Richard claimed not to know about her, but seemed to think the video was about poor behaviour from feminists, for which she is the poster child. Then he wants to talk about her behaviour with that 'people .... however vile' dig, which is actually quite mean-spirited.

All the while when the feminists are so exquisitely vulnerable to the very point that was made in the video with such beautifully targeted scalpel-like wit.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Ape+lust wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
The give-away is that 'she' was a moderator on Blockbot. That feminist tool was manned entirely by dick-wavers of one sort or another even if some chose to name themselves after strippers.
Yeah, very bizarre. I still expect to hear Oolon announce his womanhood one day.
There is absolutely no evidence for Oolon having any transitioning tendancies. None at all. Not a one. His obsessive defending of transwomen is purely because he's a super nice guy.

https://maleviolence.files.wordpress.co ... .jpg?w=625

Dave

Post by Dave »

Ape+lust wrote:
"an up-and-coming science communication star"

Thats a lot of words to say "a nobody."

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote: [Steersman] is all over twitter, won't keep his shiny metal ass to himself.
:lol: He fuckin is, ain't he. I initially thought the 140 character limit would be anathema to our Steers. Turns out he can't get enough of it. Fucker must be getting a masochistic thrill out of it, or something.

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
I bet it's Watson.
She is not up-and-coming.

I hear she just lays there. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Ridiculing ideology is practically the bread and butter of the A/S "community." I've never been to one of those conferences, and I have no interest in doing so, but I find it hard to believe that speakers and attendees are super careful not to mock ideas they think are pernicious, misguided, or just plain stupid.

And now they've disinvited Dawkins for linking approvingly (with a "not all feminists" caveat, mind you!) to a video about their ideology that they've deemed "unnecessarily divisive, counterproductive, and even hateful."

It's pretty damn funny when you think about it. Essentially, they're saying: "How dare you accuse (some) feminists of being censorial, thin-skinned, and intolerant of dissent?! That's offensive, dammit, and we won't tolerate it! NO SPEAKY FOR YOU!"

This reminds me of when Isaac Hayes quit South Park because they started making fun of Scientology... after over a decade of making fun of all the other religions. (To be fair, I just looked it up and there appears to be some controversy over whether Hayes really left the show for that reason.)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

pro-boxing-fan wrote:
screwtape wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:RE: Dane-geld

Yesterday somebody tweeted to Dawkins that you should never apologize to SJWs because they are never satisfied and just smell weakness, to which he said something like, "I am beginning to see that now".

I suspect Dane-geld is a reference to appeasement. And I don't see why he should appease them, this is 1944 not 1938.
Agreed: he implies that NECSS sacrificing his attendance to appease the SJWs was akin to paying protection money to the Danes. Now they up their demands and keep coming back for more.
I don't think they (he/she??) did it to appease the SJW, they did it because they're SJW themselves.
I hope they cover their urinals so as not to trigger trans men.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Dave wrote:
Not for a cap full of wine she doesn't.

Billie from Ockham

katamari Damassi wrote:I hope they cover their urinals so as not to trigger trans men.
Com'on. It's 2016. Get with it. Those are cold-water-only sinks for people in wheelchairs (or otherwise vertically challenged).

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Loiuse Mensch gets a reply to her complaint to the BBC over the Big Questions Connie St Louis shitstorm.

The reply proves that, yet again, St Louis is a massive lying cunt. She told the BBC she deleted her twitter account, so she needed the BBC to tweet her apology.

St Louis never deleted her account. What a cunt.
Can any of these twitter feminists make a statement without lying, distorting the truth and slandering?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

HunnyBunny wrote:There is absolutely no evidence for Oolon having any transitioning tendancies. None at all. Not a one. His obsessive defending of transwomen is purely because he's a super nice guy.

https://maleviolence.files.wordpress.co ... .jpg?w=625
Yes, quite. Consider me chastened. He's just a super nice... whatever he is.

http://imgur.com/BYFYe9l.jpg

Dave

Post by Dave »

comhcinc wrote:
Dave wrote:
Not for a cap full of wine she doesn't.
I told you: two bottles of vodka for the full potato.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

piginthecity wrote:
Also Dawkins seems to be focussing on the wrong thing - Big Red. A Big Red Herring if you will. That bit of bad behaviour was its own punishment for her and was ages ago. It's far too late now to worrit about who did or didn't apologise to whom all those years ago, and a bit weird. I haven't heard anything from BR since, and I'm quite happy to assume that she's put it behind her, grown up and moved on and good luck to her.

It's strange that Richard claimed not to know about her, but seemed to think the video was about poor behaviour from feminists, for which she is the poster child. Then he wants to talk about her behaviour with that 'people .... however vile' dig, which is actually quite mean-spirited.

All the while when the feminists are so exquisitely vulnerable to the very point that was made in the video with such beautifully targeted scalpel-like wit.
Dawkins focused on her because she was the focus of Lindy West and the other people complaining about the tweet. And she isn't as well known as you think. I introduce new people to her all the time.

He invented "meme" doesn't mean he keeps up with them.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

HunnyBunny wrote:Zvan has spoken, and has provided her valued wisdom on the Dawkins matter in an open letter to CFI.

I would go and read what Stephy has to say on the matter but I'm busy right now rubbing Tabasco sauce into my eyeballs and nailing my scrotum to the table. Maybe later eh?

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
screwtape wrote:
And here you arrive at the point. If you openly claim to be deliberately dishonest (with a fellow pitter, although that makes no difference here) how shall we know when to believe anything else you say? Making an unfounded accusation of this kind is exactly like Peezus throwing his grenade, and however much Steersman has annoyed you, I don't think you want your actions to be classed along with the more dishonest and wretched actions of Professor Roundup. Delete the tweet and we shall think all the more of you.

Would it be insensitive of me to suggest that after the tweet is deleted, Com and Steers shake hands and then make out a little? I want everyone to be friends! :lol:
Only if I they do it out of my sight. I'm on the edge as it is, I don't need any further disturbances. :eusa-hand:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

BLOODY HELL HUNNYBUNNY!

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

jimthepleb wrote: BLOODY HELL HUNNYBUNNY!
Sorry, I should have put a trigger warning on that, my bad

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Just to weigh in on twittergate.
Meh.

I was much more interested in the father raping thing.
Paedophilia is so 2015 and Hipster. All the cool kids seem to be doing it these days.
Daddy bumming is much more intriguing. Especially as The Steersbot a) made no denial and b) didn't seem surprised or offended.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

HunnyBunny wrote:
Trigger all your warnings.

http://imgur.com/5XL6iCg.jpg

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Ape+lust wrote:
HunnyBunny wrote:
Trigger all your warnings.

http://imgur.com/5XL6iCg.jpg
Whats the scab over his right eye? Did they leave him out of the hugbox without his helmet on again? Care in the Community has been a failed experiment.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jimthepleb wrote:Just to weigh in on twittergate.
Meh.

I was much more interested in the father raping thing.
Paedophilia is so 2015 and Hipster. All the cool kids seem to be doing it these days.
Daddy bumming is much more intriguing. Especially as The Steersbot a) made no denial and b) didn't seem surprised or offended.

Wait my tweet is twittergate?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:On ya Ron

[.tweet][/tweet]
#BanBossy

#BanBushBaby
Nice to see Lindsay using the "regressive left" phrase; maybe someone should make that a hashtag if that's not already the case.
Somewhat apropos, although I suppose I should provide a trigger warning for those who are too quick to kill the messenger and react in horror at the sight of "ukip":

And:

And along similar lines, some more pushback against that "regressive left":

Nice to see an increasing number of university administrations, and other more sensible students and faculty, telling some of their rather uppity, so to speak, and rather deluded "students" (squalling infants if truth be known) where to go and how to get there.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Fuck it's back.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Looks like JK Rowling might sue McGarry For the 'misogynist abuse' tweets.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/celebrity/ ... -1-4015679

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Gumby wrote:
Shatterface wrote:
Gumby wrote:While I'm happy to see Ron Lindsay using the term "regressive left", it would have been nice if he'd had the guts to use it when he wasn't halfway out the door.
Yeah, but who doesn't enjoy farting just as they are about to leave the elevator?
It's hard to argue with such impeccable logic.
Indeed; "tasteful" - more or less:
[youtube]7kULEbjKj2c[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

One thing I like about the term 'regressive left' is the fact that it was coined by a non-white muslim*. If it gets any more traction, it's likely to give the SJW crowd a fair attack of the jitters when they try complaining about it.

*which also lends some amusement to the fact that Steers 'Deport them all' Man seems rather keen on it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

dogen wrote:
Gumby wrote:No, wait! comhcinc was right!
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im ... nrojpg.jpg

Steersman, you MONSTER!
Bender is far more human and likeable than Steersman. Plus, he's a POC.
A person of chromium?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

jet_lagg wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: For the second time tonight, I have to agree with the SJWs and say cops take a very skeptical attitude toward sexual assault. I base this admittedly off the horror stories related by feminists (as a rule, I try to believe everyone's story at face value), but also off corroborating stories from women in my own life, women who would laugh at the label of feminist and I have more emotional reasons to believe in. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. We're skeptics after all. Skepticism is good. But the relationship between the accuser and law enforcement is by nature somewhat adversarial.

In short, I think it's naive to say the cops have women's interests at heart. Personal attorneys, and rape victim advocates fulfill that role. Efforts to support victims should be focused on providing more resources and recognition to those two groups.
Bullshit. On the whole, cops take rape accusations very deadly seriously. Most departments have dedicated personnel and training. It is a serious crime. Look at the list of sex offenders for your area if you think nobody takes it seriously. Or actually ask a cop. That is, unless you go by SJW definitions of rape. Or file reports 30 fucking years after the alleged crime.Then maybe not so much.
If you reread my post you'll note I didn't say they don't take it seriously. And I have asked cops, including a detective who does an extensive amount of work related to sex crimes. They agreed with the point I'm trying to make here. It's not the role of the police to be your advocate. If you report a crime, you're going to be grilled. I call that skepticism, and it's a good thing. Grilling someone means you are taking the matter seriously. It's how you get the facts, but it's ridiculous to berate a woman for not wanting to go through that in the immediate aftermath of a trauma. Advising women to get advocates, and fighting for more resources for said advocates, is the best way to address that if you ask me. It mitigates the valid fear of the accuser, and also addresses the equally valid concern regular citizens have that not reporting allows rapists to go unpunished, able to attack again.
I'm on a phone, so fogive the shitty quoting-
The police usually do assign an advocate to rape victims. They are put in touch with all sorts of resources after reporting rape. The individual officer is not, nor should be as that is a different position. It is nearly always assigned to a female officer or a civilian assigned to the position. No officer ever is going to "grill" (way too much tv there) a person accused of rape. They ask a series of questions as gently as possible to determine if a crime has been committed or if someone is in present danger. While many perform these duties sub-par, it's rapidly changing for the better. Saying that victims will be "grilled" is far from the truth and helps keep real victims from reporting.

--bill

Post by --bill »

Billie from Ockham wrote:Quick point (for ironic reasons): if you're at a Research-1 school, but love and put effort into your teaching, then you'll constantly be feeling the conflict between this and getting grants and writing papers (and whining about this won't change a damned thing). Ask me how I know. Conversely, if you're at one of the minor schools of a state's large system of higher ed, then you'd better get used to having a high teaching load because that's your fucking job. If you get a grant, they'll reduce it a little, but at least three-quarters of your time will always be prep, lecture, and grading. If you don't like it, then put down the Round-Up, do something worthwhile, and get a job at a Research-1 (like you'd always hoped and assumed that you'd have).

/rant
I'm way behind, but....
if you're teaching at a minor school that's having funding problems, you can go to your dean and suggest that you'll gladly teach 2 large lecture sections instead of 4 small classes, so that the school can save money. Then you can use only multiple choice tests, graded by machines, 'cause how could you grade 250 tests by hand? And if you have your notes up on powerpoint, then you can use them over and over and over until the sun explodes. No prep, no grading, and 300 minutes per week in the classroom (instead of 600).

pro-boxing-fan
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by pro-boxing-fan »

Tigzy wrote:One thing I like about the term 'regressive left' is the fact that it was coined by a non-white muslim*.
Nah, its still an expression created by the patriarchy to keep the oppressed in their places.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shatterface wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Yeah, very bizarre. I still expect to hear Oolon announce his womanhood one day.
I think he's so oily he wouldn't need surgery, his dick would just slide off of its own accord.
Shame you can only get one Best Post Evah! award, ain't it?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Lsuoma wrote:
dogen wrote:
Gumby wrote:No, wait! comhcinc was right!
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im ... nrojpg.jpg

Steersman, you MONSTER!
Bender is far more human and likeable than Steersman. Plus, he's a POC.
A person of chromium?
Possibly, but he's also a Person of Color -- full name "Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez", assembled in Mexico (and quality approved by Hermes Conrad, even though he lacks a backup unit).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dave wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
I bet it's Watson.
She is not up-and-coming.

Yep, I've heard cowboying can be actual hard work.