Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Old subthreads
Tribble

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Tribble »

HoneyWagon wrote:Probably a dick move to post this...but this passive aggressive "I am a victim, but a strong one, but still feel bad for me" narrative that involves a cabal of MRAs (and not much else) post I have to share.

http://i.imgur.com/eyXFuDL.jpg

Jesus fucking christ

lol. Bullshit. She had general anxiety disorder and trashed her parents for it a few years ago, maybe 2010. Then she decided they gave her PTSD about a year later. Then she walked her PTSD because her 'allies' gave her a hard time. Then she got a new psychologist and started blaming Twitter fights (that she constantly picks) for her PTSD and they jumped on the bandwagon forgetting the ever-changing story.

Last year she back-door confirmed the old GAD diagnosis. But she still hangs her hat on PTSD morph:
Even though, by diagnosis definition, she's never qualified for PTSD. And she was already putting on the pounds (March, 2010):

http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/ ... 73047.jpeg

Anyway, she's a tool.

Steersman

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Steersman »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
Steersman wrote:Two different aspects or ways of looking at it: I've kind of argued elsewhere that great swaths of the Quran might reasonably be construed as hate speech. Which is a crime in itself in many countries, including Canada, Germany, and the UK.

And the other is related to the concept of collective responsibility which seems to hold at least some water:
Collective responsibility also known as "Collective Guilt" is a concept in which individuals are responsible for other people's actions by tolerating, ignoring, or harboring them, without actively collaborating in these actions.
Which might reasonably be construed as somewhat analogous to being an accessory after the fact.
[.img]http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 41/0d0.jpg[/img]
:) Think your antenna needs a tune-up; seems to be picking up some spurious signals, probably due to aliasing, a close cousin to the spinning dancer cognitive illusion ... ;-) My previous comment:
And relative to the fairly credible charge that the Quran, in large part, constitutes hate speech, while US law stipulates that "hate speech is permissible unless it will lead to imminent hate violence", one might argue that other countries have a more sensible view - for instance, the UK:
In the United Kingdom, several statutes criminalize hate speech against several categories of persons. The statutes forbid communication which is hateful, threatening, abusive, or insulting and which targets a person on account of skin colour, race, disability, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, or sexual orientation. The penalties for hate speech include fines, imprisonment, or both.

And it doesn't take much effort, or knowledge of Islam and the Quran, to find passages in the latter that qualify as precisely that.

And you might take a look at some of these links: "hate speech" Quran

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

feathers wrote:
mike150160 wrote:I have been made aware, by my veterinary surgeon colleagues, that a wasp sting on a dog is considered an extreme emergency, requiring a rapid response to reach the dog, treat it and bill the owner before the animal gets better on its own.
I knew an Irish Setter who, as a puppy, had tried to catch a wasp and got stung in the lip. That did not deter it, though; it had just learned to pull up your lips before snapping them directly between the teeth and nomming them.

Real service dog, that.
I remember sucking down a beer back in the '90s, direct from the bottle, when I felt an excruciating pain in my lower lip. Pound signs were ringing in my eyes as I dreamt of suing the fuck out of Grolsch for putting glass in my bottle, but, no! It was a big fuck of wasp which, as well as stinging me, was also stealing my beer. It stung me again, this time on my cheek, then flew off happily. Fucker!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jet_lagg wrote:If it's a straight vote, Steers is going to lose every time.
Yeah, he's only ever going to win the gay vote.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Billie from Ockham wrote:http://i.imgur.com/eyXFuDL.jpg

In other words: "I haven't taken any pictures of people on the street lately; please don't take back my Kickstarter money."
Yeah, when was her last post?

At least she's got a nice camera so she can take pictures of her gunt while lying in bed.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Richard Carrier wrote:And among them was the cool new musical duo Monster on Sunday, Steve and Tally Cass. The both of them were awesome and beautiful company. And I was really keen to hear their first album. Not only because there is a dearth of good hip new atheism-anthem music...
(emphasis mine)

https://web.archive.org/web/20150704005 ... hives/7905

"Atheist rock" :lol:

Reminds me of the South Park Christian rock episode.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

screwtape wrote:There are very few gaelic speakers in NS. There is a Gaelic college in St Ann's, for which, humorously, Canada Post requires the address of Englishtown. I've tried my Welsh upon them, but the poor benighted creatures simply don't get it. Some tourist based towns in NS, notably Pugwash, make a thing of having street names in gaelic, but the locals don't have a clue what they mean, or how to say them. Rather sad, really.
We found two places where Gaelic was spoken, beside the school, both on Cape Breton, of course: Margaree and Ingonish. That's about it. But if you can find a cèilidh inland from Margaree, those are the best. We ended up at one with Ashley McIsaac. We were only given directions because we spoke some Gaelic.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote:

In other words: "I haven't taken any pictures of people on the street lately; please don't take back my Kickstarter money."

At least she's got a nice camera so she can take pictures of her gunt while lying in bed.
For someone do debilitated, she has had no problem approaching complete strangers and posing them for shots. Including a number of shrodingers rapists. And always outside in the modern agora.

She is constant and uptodate.

The lady protests too much, methinks.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:

Maybe she rolled over, can't find her camera now, and that's why the blog has been neglected.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Her blog runs oldest to newest. Very annoying as you have to click thru every pic to get to the latest one.

According to Exif she did take her last pic 4 days ago.
And she scored a Canon EOS 70D. $1000 plus lens.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
screwtape wrote:There are very few gaelic speakers in NS. There is a Gaelic college in St Ann's, for which, humorously, Canada Post requires the address of Englishtown. I've tried my Welsh upon them, but the poor benighted creatures simply don't get it. Some tourist based towns in NS, notably Pugwash, make a thing of having street names in gaelic, but the locals don't have a clue what they mean, or how to say them. Rather sad, really.
We found two places where Gaelic was spoken, beside the school, both on Cape Breton, of course: Margaree and Ingonish. That's about it. But if you can find a cèilidh inland from Margaree, those are the best. We ended up at one with Ashley McIsaac. We were only given directions because we spoke some Gaelic.
I've heard some of the best music of my life on Cape Breton. Embarrassed myself by playing mandolin and moothie (harmonica) with the natives, though they were very kind. Good times.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Malady Hensley of course picks fibromyalgia, a "disease" (a syndrome at best) for which there is no test, no known physiological cause, & has vague symptoms identical to those of chronic depression. And she works for is on the payroll of a skeptics org that wants to be taken seriously in the world.

:doh:

Betting pool open now on date she claims Chronic Lyme Disease.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Maybe she rolled over, can't find her camera now, and that's why the blog has been neglected.
"Honey, the lint in my belly-button feels kinda hard. Can you check it for me?"

"Jesus, Melody! There's a fucking camera in your gunt!"

"Oh, that's where it went. Cool. Thanks."

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Brive1987 wrote:Her blog runs oldest to newest. Very annoying as you have to click thru every pic to get to the latest one.

According to Exif she did take her last pic 4 days ago.
And she scored a Canon EOS 70D. $1000 plus lens.
Gah! You're right - and there was me saying the last entry had been almost a month ago. Guess I must not have been paying too much attention. Easily done when it comes to Mad Mel.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Makes her health claims bogus though. Melody, always a win win.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Lsuoma wrote:

I think we're all being assholes. I mean, Hensley has devoted an average of twenty minutes a week to her fashion blog since the kickstarter ended. How many of us spend twenty minutes a week doing something we enjoy on the internet?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Brive1987 wrote:Her blog runs oldest to newest. Very annoying as you have to click thru every pic to get to the latest one.
WHAT?!?!?! SHE'S THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF A NON-PROFIT THAT RELIES UPON SOCIAL MEDIA SAVVY AND THE INTERNET TO DO OUTREACH AND SHE DOESN'T REALIZE THIS?

I want some of whatever she's popping to take the edge off on a stressful Tuesday afternoon as she starts her work week/day.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Malady Hensley of course picks fibromyalgia, a "disease" (a syndrome at best) for which there is no test, no known physiological cause, & has vague symptoms identical to those of chronic depression. And she works for is on the payroll of a skeptics org that wants to be taken seriously in the world.

Betting pool open now on date she claims Chronic Lyme Disease.
I'm shocked that the ED of the Center for Inquiry hasn't tried to get disability for being possessed by evil spirits.

windy

Post by windy »

jet_lagg wrote:
Richard Carrier wrote:And among them was the cool new musical duo Monster on Sunday, Steve and Tally Cass. The both of them were awesome and beautiful company. And I was really keen to hear their first album. Not only because there is a dearth of good hip new atheism-anthem music...
(emphasis mine)

https://web.archive.org/web/20150704005 ... hives/7905

"Atheist rock" :lol:

Reminds me of the South Park Christian rock episode.
[youtube]xMQsxd2hDbg[/youtube]

:character-beavisbutthead:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Really? wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

I think we're all being assholes. I mean, Hensley has devoted an average of twenty minutes a week to her fashion blog since the kickstarter ended. How many of us spend twenty minutes a week doing something we enjoy on the internet?
If she can't work outside, then who's taking these photos?

http://streetfashiondc.com/

Really?

Post by Really? »

Pitchguest wrote:

https://fashiononthestreetsofdc.files.w ... =660&h=991
Gabriel works at my favorite shoe store in D.C. – John Fluevog, a Canadian brand that makes unique, well made shoes. When I see Gabriel, I think he has a bit of a 90’s style influence. Here he’s wearing a floral Tommy Hilfiger shirt that looks great with his glasses. Of course he’s wearing Fluevogs, sans socks and laces for Summer.
What kind of shoes?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Really? wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

Gabriel works at my favorite shoe store in D.C. – John Fluevog, a Canadian brand that makes unique, well made shoes. When I see Gabriel, I think he has a bit of a 90’s style influence. Here he’s wearing a floral Tommy Hilfiger shirt that looks great with his glasses. Of course he’s wearing Fluevogs, sans socks and laces for Summer.
What kind of shoes?
Haha! I wanted to bring this up but I figured it was too simple a gag.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Pitchguest wrote:
Really? wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

What kind of shoes?
Haha! I wanted to bring this up but I figured it was too simple a gag.
I'm a simple person.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

HoneyWagon wrote:Probably a dick move to post this...but this passive aggressive "I am a victim, but a strong one, but still feel bad for me" narrative that involves a cabal of MRAs (and not much else) post I have to share.

Jesus fucking christ
Fuck this bitch. She was fat long before MRAs discovered her. She tried to bully Roseanne Barr for fuck's sake. She's an asshole who has always hid behind these various illnesses to protect her from people returning the shit she slings at them.

James Caruthers

Steersman wrote: A quote from the Wikipedia article that supports that view:
Contemporary cognitive scientists use a wide notion of analogy, extensionally close to that of Plato and Aristotle, but framed by Gentner's (1983) structure mapping theory.[10] The same idea of mapping between source and target is used by conceptual metaphor and conceptual blending theorists. Structure mapping theory concerns both psychology and computer science. According to this view, analogy depends on the mapping or alignment of the elements of source and target. The mapping takes place not only between objects, but also between relations of objects and between relations of relations. The whole mapping yields the assignment of a predicate or a relation to the target. Structure mapping theory has been applied and has found considerable confirmation in psychology. It has had reasonable success in computer science and artificial intelligence (see below).
Bit of a complex issue and tool, but one that is of substantial value if it is used with care and attention to detail.
[youtube]eaADQTeZRCY[/youtube]

Are you capable of reading something that isn't from Wikipedia? Is this your debating tactic? You hear someone saying something you don't like, so you go looking for wikipedia articles with quotations you can mine to support your position?

James Caruthers

DaveDodo007 wrote:
I approve of this post by jugheadnaut. I agree with Steersbot in that the reactions to taboo words are emotional. Though out of all the free speech battles I think need fighting for, then the right of bigots to call anyone with a heavy sun tan the words (nigger, coon and wog) are on the back burner. So it is probably best to wait for the Utopian society where we can all sit around the table whilst drinking Earl Grey tea and discuss whether it is right to use such words in polite society.
I would never want racists to be banned from using racist words in society. I just wish they'd admit racist words are racist. :lol:

Maybe that's proof Steers is not racist? Because most actual racists are far too savvy to use actual racist insults in conversation, or defend their use as not racist. You'll never catch Jared Taylor defending the word "nigger." :dance:

Really?

Post by Really? »

James Caruthers wrote:

Jesus fucking christ
Fuck this bitch. She was fat long before MRAs discovered her. She tried to bully Roseanne Barr for fuck's sake. She's an asshole who has always hid behind these various illnesses to protect her from people returning the shit she slings at them.
Hold up, hoss. It's sexist not to treat her differently and hold her to different standards because she's a woman.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Really? wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

[.img]https://fashiononthestreetsofdc.files.w ... =660&h=991[/img]
What kind of shoes?
*shrug*

I am no expert but I like these photos she has taken. Looks like she has found something she is good at IMO.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Billie from Ockham wrote:To me, the worse thing about the Reddit drama is that Thunderf00t will now make another "feminism ruins everything" video, instead of something useful.
Yeah, his gloat videos are not my favorite. I'm all down for his science videos. I guess I see those types of videos as a waste of good talent.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Jesus fucking christ
Wasn't she fat before this whole elevator gate thing began?
And MRA's gave her fibromyalgia?

At this point she is comedic relief.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Tigzy wrote:

Yup. Her fashion blog hasn't been updated in nearly a month. Cuz...MRAs. :roll:

Sorry CFI, looks like you're stuck with her.
Remember folks. When starting a new hobby, always buy the really really expensive gear prior to determining if you are going to stick it out.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I thought she really started to balloon after Caruthers started all that fat hate over here. Sad how she was drawn into self loathing all because of Caruthers and his troll buddies like Steersman.
As far as getting fibromyalgia from MRAs- Confirmed MRA Steersman is a giant pain in the ass muscle so it is not a giant leap for him to cause pain elsewhere.
MRA induced fibromyalgia is no laughing matter. :hand: :ugeek:

Really?

Post by Really? »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Really? wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

[.img]https://fashiononthestreetsofdc.files.w ... =660&h=991[/img]
What kind of shoes?
*shrug*

I am no expert but I like these photos she has taken. Looks like she has found something she is good at IMO.
She has a $1000 camera (plus lens). Are we really congratulating her for doing something that an elementary schooler could do? If it takes her away from CFI and skepticism, fine. She has spent about three total hours on WordPress putting together something a precocious six-year-old could accomplish.

That spelling and grammar error-laden blog is something you'd hug a six-year-old for, but not a woman of Hensley's age and feminism-boosted accomplishment.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I like her photographs too. I think she's pretty good at it. I think she does some good framing of her subjects too - it's not just the photograph quality.

On another note I remember how PZ et al thought we'd die out, much like anti-#gamergater thought #gamergate would die out. And yet here we are, all these years later. When all this kicked off I didn't have kids.

Really?

Post by Really? »

rayshul wrote:I like her photographs too. I think she's pretty good at it. I think she does some good framing of her subjects too - it's not just the photograph quality.

On another note I remember how PZ et al thought we'd die out, much like anti-#gamergater thought #gamergate would die out. And yet here we are, all these years later. When all this kicked off I didn't have kids.
I guess that I'm just offended that a woman who whines more than a stuck pig and pulled in two grand after offending 80% of the internet is getting compliments for doing something that we could all do. THink of all of the people who do things on the internet for free? Hensley pulled in two grand before even snapping one picture on the professional-quality digital camera she got for free and editing the pictures on the computer she got for free.

This is extreme privilege. How many of us could find our calling if morons dropped two grand of no-strings-attached money in our laps (even though we have an executive-level job and benefits in DC) and said, "go for it."

Fuck her.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

If someone gave me $2000 right now I'd buy a Cintiq, even though I don't really need it and it's kind of just an expensive toy.

James Caruthers

free thoughtpolice wrote:

I thought she really started to balloon after Caruthers started all that fat hate over here. Sad how she was drawn into self loathing all because of Caruthers and his troll buddies like Steersman.
As far as getting fibromyalgia from MRAs- Confirmed MRA Steersman is a giant pain in the ass muscle so it is not a giant leap for him to cause pain elsewhere.
MRA induced fibromyalgia is no laughing matter. :hand: :ugeek:
It's true, she was slim and bangable before I started saying mean things about obesity.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Being a responsible family breadwinner, I'd put that $2k into our rainy day savings.

But on the point, I don't know if I care much if people say they're going to raise money to do something and then do it. Yeah she's lucky to be able to do that. It's nice people supported her.

Also, I keep seeing references to the Slymepit in other media in reference to #gamergate and #redditrevolt... as one of the early pit folk it's filling me with pride.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Happy 4th, USAians!

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

James Caruthers wrote:It's true, she was slim and bangable before I started saying mean things about obesity.
I'm genuinely confused by all this hate Melody is getting! She's very attractive (yes, subjectivity and all that good stuff), makes a lot of effort on her appearance, has carved out a "look" that is both visually appealing and somewhat unique and she's got a sparkling and effervescent personality. Additionally, she's highly intelligent, perfectly reasonable when discussing hot-button topics and listening to her well thought out "take" on key issues is always a delight.

In short, 9/10 - would bang.

Any man, any real man would be lucky to have a lady like Melody in his life.

I'm sorry but I had to get that off my chest.

Now, on an unrelated note - I was helping a mate build his garden shed yesterday and the dozy fucker accidentally smacked me on the side of the skull with a lump mallet. Does anyone know of any warning signs/symptoms for concussion or brain damage?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:It's true, she was slim and bangable before I started saying mean things about obesity.
I'm genuinely confused by all this hate Melody is getting! She's very attractive (yes, subjectivity and all that good stuff), makes a lot of effort on her appearance, has carved out a "look" that is both visually appealing and somewhat unique and she's got a sparkling and effervescent personality. Additionally, she's highly intelligent, perfectly reasonable when discussing hot-button topics and listening to her well thought out "take" on key issues is always a delight.

Now, on an unrelated note - I was helping a mate build his garden shed yesterday and the dozy fucker accidentally smacked me on the side of the skull with a lump mallet. Does anyone know of any warning signs/symptoms for concussion or brain damage?
Thinking Hensley is "9/10 - would bang"? ;-)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

for fuck's sake steersman

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

you are one clever motherfucker for finding that punchline

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

rayshul wrote:you are one clever motherfucker for finding that punchline
:lol: :evil: ;)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

deLurch wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

Yup. Her fashion blog hasn't been updated in nearly a month. Cuz...MRAs. :roll:

Sorry CFI, looks like you're stuck with her.
Remember folks. When starting a new hobby, always buy the really really expensive gear prior to determining if you are going to stick it out.

It's hugely ironic that one of Melody's better photos was taken with her cell phone.

http://i.imgur.com/EJryQJs.jpg

At this point there is only one appropriate course of action.

"Look at the flowers Melody"

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

No, I really don't need to.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Why can I read and copy tweets from people I am blocked by?

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Happy 4th, USAians!
Yes - and many congratulations on keeping your charming idea of a 'Republic' afloat for another year. Don't forget that Her Majesty will be most generous in welcoming you back just as soon as you see sense and apologise.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Check out the post by Bora's wife (if I havent been niggered)

From http://www.advicegoddess.com/archives/2 ... vic_r.html

The injustice of what was done to Bora is almost too painful to bear. Both I and Bora have been dangerously close to suicide (at different times) since this disaster happened. The torture of the irony here is that Bora is 100% innocent. Not only was NO action meeting the legal definition of sexual harassment committed, but there was also not a trace of inappropriate comments or behavior ever to escape Bora's person. Ever. EVER. And the people who know him, the thousands he has unselfishly and freely given his time to, know this. If we had the resources, we could PROVE his innocence. If we ever have the chance to sue any and every body involved in this crime, we will nail you for every last penny you have. One has to do only a surface investigation into the sordid life of Monica Byrne to see that her depravity reaches far and wide. We know three different men in the Triangle, who are not only strangers to the science community, but also strangers to each other, and all have said that Monica is a known pathological liar, none were surprised by her actions, and one even suggested that the reason she falsely accused Bora is that she failed to get him to sleep with her. If she can't bend a man to her will, she will set out to destroy him, just as she spent her time in NYC riding subways "hunting" for flashers, as she relates in the story she told at The Monti. Just as she has been crying like a little bitch because she didn't get her way with Wired. Read the reviews of her novel on Amazon and you will see that she is one sick bitch. Look at her 100+ 'sexy' dress poses' selfies and you will clearly see that she uses her sexuality to manipulate and control men. It is really rather disgusting.
And how about Kathleen Raven? Talk about a pussy. She is a major pussy. Bora actually considered her his best friend and trusted her implicitly. The (one sided) snippets from the emails she posted really succeeded in making Bora look like some kind of pervert. But the fact is that he was having a private conversation with her about his adolescent sexuality, and what it is like for young people growing up in a culture that affords them no real privacy for sexual exploration. Young people in Belgrade (at least at that time) didn't have their own apartments or live together before marriage. You basically either had your spouse move in with you and your parents, or you moved in with your in-laws, after marriage, of course. Ironically, in his culture sex is considered normal and natural and nobody faints if you say the word "erection." Kathleen Raven is a sneaky little bitch. More than once, she coyly asked Bora "are you attracted to me?" I have seen the Twitter DMs. I have read her emails and texts. Her hands are not clean. Although they came close to actually having an affair, it never got physical. And the reason is that Bora refused because they were both married. I do think they had what I would call an emotional affair. They were in constant contact, they both lit up like Christmas trees when they met at conferences, Bora once even credited Kathleen with "saving our marriage," because he had someone to talk to who understood.

Understood? Since Kathleen didn't hesitate to throw me under the bus, I will tell you the story of her ex/abusive boyfriend: apparently this fellow had some unsavory rape fantasies that he persuaded Kathleen to allow him to "act out" with her. Although she gave her consent, she said she was extremely traumatized by this sex play. That isn't surprising. It sounds horrible. But this is classic Kathleen Raven logic. Say yes, decide it was a bad idea, cry wolf. It is worth noting here that Kathleen was under a HUGE amount of pressure from Maryn McKenna and Emily Willingham (everybody's favorite!) and a few other women to make these public accusations about Bora. She totally dissed Bora's friendship and loyalty and folded to the party politics. In my book, that makes her a great, big PUSSY. And tell me, if you will, that if she was so intimated by Bora, why did he have an invitation to come and visit her in her home? The visit was planned for the week after Bora was "outed." How quickly things change! Finally, if you have watched the video of the Double X session (which, ironically, Bora organized) you can clearly see that after Kathleen publically accuses Bora, a little smile/smirk breaks out on her face. If you know anything about microexpressions, you know that this is a classic "tell" for lying. I know what I say is true because I was here. And I was there. I watched the whole thing unfold. I even warned Bora: bad idea, keep your distance, you can't trust her. But everybody who knows Bora knows that he is totally gullible, always gives the benefit of the doubt,and trusts everyone. At least he used to.

What people don't know is that a lawyer forced Bora to publish that "apology" and would not allow him to use his own words or defend himself. So his fate was sealed, his guilt certain. A handful of brave women came to his defense. Interestingly, this did not include the women that knew him best, like Bethany Brookshire (we danced at her wedding! She started her blog on his laptop! She KNOWS better) and Janet Stemmwedel (she had been aching to be on the Science Online board for a couple of years, Bora and Anton were actually planning to add her as the organization grew, but she took this opportunity to turn against Bora and try to stage a SciOn coup). Sorry, Janet, when two people have an idea, do the work (LOTS of fucking free work), and make a great baby, you can't just TAKE that baby and claim it is your own. All of you should be very, very ashamed for ruining one of the best conferences in the country.

Almost NO men stood up for Bora because they knew they would be committing career suicide. There was one notable exception: Anton. Anton was Bora's closest friend and partner. During the early weeks, we probably would have died without his loyal support. However, when he wrote an incredibly thoughtful, fair, and profound piece about the issue (in all of it's complexity) and published it around New Year's Day, he was attacked so visciously, with so much mocking and hatred, that even he questioned the innocence of Bora, and proceeded to put a fairly substantial amount of distance between himself and Bora. This was a real low point for us. We lost so many friends for whom we cared deeply. It was disturbing to see all those "journalists" sincerely believing that they knew the Truth without asking Bora ONE SINGLE QUESTION.

The funny (but not too funny) thing is that Bora is one of the rare true male feminists. He achieved gender equity with everything that had his name on it (his blog network, Science Online, his annual best of science blogs anthology....and he refused dozens of invitations to participate on panels all over the world because the panels did not include one single woman speaker.

Bora was born to teach. Partly out of love, and partly as community service, he has been teaching freshman biology at a local college for twenty years, including during the time he worked at Scientific American. This is a situation in which there is a REAL power differential. However, in all of those years, he has not had one single complaint (not even from the creationists in his classes, many of whom he converted to accept evolution based on the evidence he taught). Not one complaint. In fact, he consistently has the best evaluations on campus.

I know Bora better than any of you ever will. I know that he lacks the machismo and even the self-confidence to bully or harass any person in any way. Do you seriously feel that he is a threat? He weighs 125 lbs! About 50 lbs less than the average woman at a conference. ANYBODY could take him down, if necessary. But it would never be necessary because that is just not who Bora is.

Bora LOVED his job. He worked 18 hour days most of the time, and ALWAYS seven days a week (unless he was on his beloved Amtrak train.) Bora cared deeply for almost everyone. And he has always been unfailingly polite to the few people he can't stand. I admit that he is the goofy guy who stands there talking to you for ten minutes without realizing his elbow is in your potato salad. But what can I say? He's on the spectrum. So many people owe their careers or book deals to him. I can't count that high.

But where oh where is the loyalty to Bora? Not even Bora so much as the pursuit of, and loyalty to the truth? His boss at the college heard the rumors and read the slander, but she is wise in the ways of the world and knows that the person being described as a "serial sexual harasser" was not, is not, and will never be Bora. Is it possible that the rest of you are so utterly and completely gullible and stupid that you can not see that there is no way Bora would have behaved in such a crude manner? Yes. I actually do believe that most of you are THAT stupid.

All of you that have been complicit in this crime are guilty of ruining our life. You have succeeded in rendering Bora unemployable. You have humiliated our children, and pushed us both to the very edge of suicide and divorce. You have taken four people out of the middle class and sentenced us to a life of poverty. Because of you, there are children going to bed hungry (our daughter is down to 83 lbs and she's anemic. She is not anorexic. She is hungry. She is afraid to eat because she's afraid there will be nothing left. YOU DID THIS TO HER. TO US. And for what?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

To all of you who were complicit in this lie, beware! Evil begets evil.

Somebody out there needs to find Moses (or Jesus) and recognize this grave injustice. Somebody needs to refuse to participate in this witch hunt and offer Bora a decent job with full benefits. Monica Byrne and Kathleen Raven need to grow up, admit their lies, and publicly apologize. Bora deserves the restoration of his life, his work, and his good name.

Posted by: Ccziv at July 2, 2015 11:31 AM

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

I'm really sorry, this has zero relevance to anything on the 'pit but I just had to share it...

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =600&h=600

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Steersman wrote:While I'll concede that a multiplicity of sources supporting a position is no guarantee of the truth of a matter, it seems a reasonable position to argue that multiple views or perspectives on a matter is more likely to lead to more accurate and in-depth representation of it - essentially the basis or benefits of binocular vision, and of objectivity in science.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Bhurzum wrote:I'm really sorry, this has zero relevance to anything on the 'pit but I just had to share it...

[.img]https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/20 ... =600&h=600[/img]
Well, I should hope that you would be sorry. Doncha know that every other comment posted here is always relevant to the ongoing conversation and to the current topic, and that none of them are ever non sequiturs? ... ;-)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

Steersman wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:

Goddamn, is this thick motherfucker for real?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote::hand:

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/4KYX2Fp.jpg[/img]
You're channeling PZ now?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Holy fucking shit

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

And Steers is the 4th to end up on my ignore list. Nothing personal, I'm just tired of his walls of text, his contrarian outlook on everything, his devil's advocate stance, and his tendency to post the same refuted arguments ad nauseam.

If ignoring him doesn't make the Pit more pleasant to read, I'll reinstate him. I somehow doubt it.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

NoGodsEver wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Bhurzum wrote: <snip>
Goddamn, is this thick motherfucker for real?
What a dickhead. It was clearly a joke. And which rayshul clearly got.

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Fibromyalga? She hasn't watched enough House MD.
Clearly she has Lupus or Sarcoidosis.