Matt Cavanaugh

Re: Happy 3rd Pit Birthday!

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Because it's lunch time, and the poor gal needs the hits:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/fridaynigh ... 2403727913

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Computer update! After lulling me into a false sense of security, the machine started crashing using Firefox as well. So on the advice of the guy who was our IT guy in work until he retired earlier this year, I have replaced the power unit. So far, so good. Also, after getting the dust out of the fans the machine is eerily quiet.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Guest_0048cc29 wrote:
There was quite a bit of slapstick humor and cartoon style violence on the show and I can't see them doing that with Felicia without creating a shitstorm with SJW's screaming "MISOGYNY!" and calling for a boycott.
Nah, it will be okay precisely BECAUSE Felicia is part of the show.

If the kickstarter succeeds, you'll hear "MRAs cry salty tears because Feminists take away MST3K from dudebros" and "MST3K Kickstarter succeeds because typical science fiction fans are women" if it fails you'll hear "MST3K Kickstarter fails because MRA dudebros hated Felicia Day more than they loved science fiction"

(This will be similar to how the new Ghostbuster movie is portrayed after its success or failure)
And sadly for women, it's very likely in both cases that the near-universal opinion will be that the dudes did it better. MST3K seems like an easy formula, but it's hard to pull off well or consistently. I'd want some demo material before boosting a new show.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Scented Nectar wrote:snip

Her youtube channel links to her G+ page, which I just opened in another tab, and she posted a picture of herself barfing on the 7th. For fuck's sake, she's gross! http://plus.google.com/+ElyseMofoAnders/posts
She's performance art, philistine.

acathode

Post by acathode »

jimthepleb wrote:Reading the comments under The Thinking Atheist's, Steve Shives video is a revelation.
[youtube]2Q4Yv3rgv-0[/youtube]
It looks like the worm has finally turned and the A/S community has really opened it's eyes to what's been happening these last four years and the kickback is gathering momentum.
Yay us!
Sorry to be a party pooper, but youtube comments and similar have always been fairly SJW hostile.

After all, SJWs are a vocal minority that primarily gain power by sneaking themselves and their friends into positions of power and influence over communities, and then, when a sufficient amount of control has been gained, start enforcing the echo-chamber while pushing the SJW ideology onto the whole community - Despite the fact that much of the general population most of the time is either hostile or apathetic towards SJWism.

Then the SJWs primarily focus on bullying other people with influence and power into towing the SJW line - Basically, people who are names in the community is pressured to adopt the SJW ideology, or face the consequences - which usually is the SJWs attempting to have the offender ostracized from the community, preferably ending their career and hurting them both economically and socially at the same time. The SJWs are never really concerned with the no-names and general population - the unwashed masses are assumed by the SJWs to follow their leaders commands, and in case where they don't, the anti-SJWs just serve as a good example to use to explain the need for a cleansing of the community ("Look at all these racist misogynists in the community! This proves that SJWism is necesarry!")...

In regards to youtube-comments, all of this boils down to the simple fact that there have always been easy to find largish groups of anti-SJWs at places where no-names and anonymous people give their comments, with no risk of SJW retaliations. Youtube-comments, reddit, various forums (like the pit), and similar - that's the soapboxes the unwashed masses have access to - but the real meter of success is the level of dissent coming from "the named ones", those who have careers and social capital to lose if the SJWs target them.

Granted, the "unwashed masses" aren't at all unimportant, and the anti-SJW sentiments have certainly been increasing in an accelerated pace the last year or so - but it's hard to use them as a measuring stick, SJW takeovers are top->down, so looking at how the "top" is doing tells us a lot more about how their takeover-attempt is going.
x_?_x wrote:Seth seems like a decent human being. I hate seeing him getting hit with some heat over his interview with Schives.
What Seth seem to be getting most flak for is mostly his own statement he made himself in the comment section, where he disagreed with MRAs - and the fact that some of the questions he asked where really leading questions where Schives just basically had to nod in agreement and rephrase Seth's original question without the question-marker at the end.

Personally, I don't think Seth is in the wrong for just disagreeing with MRAs, but I did find the interview very lacking - a good interviewer need to be read up on the person they are interviewing and be prepared to ask some uncomfortable questions, not just "me too"ing the and cuddling their guest the whole way through. That's not to say that the interviewer should be searching for "Gotcha!" moments - but they need to be prepared with some harder questions, and also to give some hard followup questions. That's how you get people to really explain their own position to the audience, forcing both the audience and the person being interviewed to actually think about the answers - and that's how you get a good interview.

Throw only softball questions though, and the only thing you get is your interviewed person preaching to the choir... which is pretty much what this interview was, Schives preaching his SJWism uninterrupted.

(This is btw a problem I have with most talkshowy podcasts and other shows as well - for example I have trouble listening to Joe Rogan for similar reasons. I kinda get why they do it - they depend on guests feeling welcome and being willing to come back themselves, recommend going on the show to others, and not scaring off potential guests just tuning in to listen to the show, but still...)

Oh, and lastly, everyone making fun of Schives' sexist music taste, you should skeptic up! Consider this - maybe he only owns one record, this:

[youtube]PLsqiyNk6fE[/youtube]

:dance:

Ps. Er, long time since I posted (sorry for the wall of text) - been lurking a bit, and been busy with RL a lot - saw some people had some real though hardships going on when catching up, this might be a bit late but my sincere best wishes to you all, hope things turn out as best as they can possible do for all of you.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

I vomited once in the past year. I was doing some intense physical labor in a sweltering environment and had mistakenly eaten a large breakfast, and about 1.5 hours in I just leaned over a trash can and emptied my stomach.

Elyse seems to do it often enough that she's prepared to take selfies. For fuck's sake how can anyone treat their body so fucking poorly? I would not be surprised if she ends up with tracheal damage like a bulimic.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Puking because of alcoholism. It comes with the territory.

As far as SJWs and "big names" go, I would think that by now, after having witnessed the invasion for near 5 years, the "big names" would wake up and just tell the SJW faction to fuck off. The pandering to this crowd is frankly disgusting whenever it happens.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

[youtube]13yFXim3PwU[/youtube]

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Ape+lust wrote:
piginthecity wrote:Didn't know it upset the neigeflakes, but I guess it's the business about needing sad experiences.
No, it's stupider than that. Which one is fat?

Fat = Sad.
Because you just know that if they'd made Joy a fat and jolly person, the SJWs would have been completely cool with that.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: As far as SJWs and "big names" go, I would think that by now, after having witnessed the invasion for near 5 years, the "big names" would wake up and just tell the SJW faction to fuck off. The pandering to this crowd is frankly disgusting whenever it happens.
Big names like Dawkins and Harris have been telling them to fuck off for a while.

Thing is, those two are a bit too big. They're not really a part of the A/S "community" so much as they are people who inspired it at one point. But they don't run or participate in A/S conferences much anymore. Those conference organizers and bloggers are the "big names" that matter, and the short answer is: no one wanted to be the first person to do it. Atheist Ireland gets big kudos for showing some spine, but we've still got people fence-sitting until they're sure that it's safe to finally come out and just tell them all to fuck off.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Looks like the SJ types don't need to worry about all those white only conferences anymore

http://i.imgur.com/fQgtW80.jpg

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Brive1987 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/vP9bjNj.jpg

"Who's that girl?"
Eventually she is going to look like this.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/unc ... 0728101707

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

acathode wrote:<snip>
Sorry to be a party pooper, but youtube comments and similar have always been fairly SJW hostile.

After all, SJWs are a vocal minority that primarily gain power by sneaking themselves and their friends into positions of power and influence over communities, and then, when a sufficient amount of control has been gained, start enforcing the echo-chamber while pushing the SJW ideology onto the whole community - Despite the fact that much of the general population most of the time is either hostile or apathetic towards SJWism.

Then the SJWs primarily focus on bullying other people with influence and power into towing the SJW line - Basically, people who are names in the community is pressured to adopt the SJW ideology, or face the consequences - which usually is the SJWs attempting to have the offender ostracized from the community, preferably ending their career and hurting them both economically and socially at the same time. The SJWs are never really concerned with the no-names and general population - the unwashed masses are assumed by the SJWs to follow their leaders commands, and in case where they don't, the anti-SJWs just serve as a good example to use to explain the need for a cleansing of the community ("Look at all these racist misogynists in the community! This proves that SJWism is necesarry!")...

In regards to youtube-comments, all of this boils down to the simple fact that there have always been easy to find largish groups of anti-SJWs at places where no-names and anonymous people give their comments, with no risk of SJW retaliations. Youtube-comments, reddit, various forums (like the pit), and similar - that's the soapboxes the unwashed masses have access to - but the real meter of success is the level of dissent coming from "the named ones", those who have careers and social capital to lose if the SJWs target them.

<snip>

Ps. Er, long time since I posted (sorry for the wall of text) - been lurking a bit, and been busy with RL a lot - saw some people had some real though hardships going on when catching up, this might be a bit late but my sincere best wishes to you all, hope things turn out as best as they can possible do for all of you.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=444&start=38090#p325038
Excellent comment!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Puking because of alcoholism. It comes with the territory.

As far as SJWs and "big names" go, I would think that by now, after having witnessed the invasion for near 5 years, the "big names" would wake up and just tell the SJW faction to fuck off. The pandering to this crowd is frankly disgusting whenever it happens.
She pukes because she has no stomach. The fact that her puke looks like wine is probably just coincidental. :geek:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

CuntajusRationality wrote:Just finished watching Best of Enemies on Netflix. Worth watching if this sounds like your cup of tea.

It's a documentary about a series of televised debates in 1968 between Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley, the culmination of which was this infamous "crypto-nazi" vs. "queer" moment.

[youtube]nYymnxoQnf8[/youtube]
Who sez we haven't made progress:

Today 'crypto-nazi' and 'queer' are unified.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Service Dog wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:Just finished watching Best of Enemies on Netflix. Worth watching if this sounds like your cup of tea.

It's a documentary about a series of televised debates in 1968 between Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley, the culmination of which was this infamous "crypto-nazi" vs. "queer" moment.

[youtube]nYymnxoQnf8[/youtube]

Ernst Röhm?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Puking because of alcoholism. It comes with the territory.

She pukes because she has no stomach. The fact that her puke looks like wine is probably just coincidental. :geek:

If you are not taking care of yourself it's very easy to puke after the type of surgery she had.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

"Who's that girl?"
Dunno. But it was considerate of people to put a top over the straitjacket.

free thoughtpolice

Sargon was mean to Steve Shives :(
[youtube]IVANcOQ0iNw[/youtube]

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Ericb wrote:

"Who's that girl?"
Eventually she is going to look like this.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/unc ... 0728101707
That is fucking uncanny!
Bet she can't write like Mark though. Fuck it, I KNOW she can't write like Mark.
Bet she wishes she could...
[youtube]56dxJjXbnjg[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Sunder wrote:
Big names like Dawkins and Harris have been telling them to fuck off for a while.
No, they haven't. They've been telling them to please reconsider while holding their pinky up when drinking tea. What I mean is a big, major FUCK OFF!

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

comhcinc wrote:
Service Dog wrote:

[youtube.]nYymnxoQnf8[/youtube]

Ernst Röhm?
Wow. That cut like a knife. A long knife. In the nighttime.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

dog puke wrote:

Wow. That cut like a knife. A long knife. In the nighttime.
I love Tolkien references...

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

The Ada Initiative targeting a con speaker and getting them knocked off the bill, by way of leveraging a CoC.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Soooo...

Since the Pit is a bit slow today, I'll vent about that friend I mentioned before who seems to have fallen into a christian cult.

Two days ago, he posted something on his FB wall about a missing person. All good and well, but the link he posted was to some moron asking for donations in the name of, I shit you not, Jesus Christ. It looks like the moron in question is what swayed my friend towards being "born again". That he's asking for money screams SCAM like there's no tomorrow.

I tried to confront my friend on his post, to no real avail (except an admission that asking for money on such a post was tasteless). The video was 12 minutes long, of which: 1:30 minutes of talking about the missing person, 3 to 5 minutes of saying "pray our lord jesus christ" and the rest mostly about why people should donate.

I think I'm losing a dear friend to religion, and I don't like it at all.

windy

Post by windy »

x_?_x wrote: I have to wonder: is this cow part of the heteronormative continuum, or does it have enough black to be a part of the oppressed class that require our (benevolent) assistance?

http://dreamatico.com/data_images/cow/cow-5.jpg
#bovinelivesmatter

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-32800365
A memorial vigil will be held for a cow that was shot dead by police marksmen.

The cow, nicknamed Bessie, was one of three that escaped from Rising Sun Country Park in North Tyneside on Sunday.

A helicopter and six police marksmen tracked the trio - two were recaptured but Bessie was shot "in the interests of public safety".

The vigil is to take place at 18:00 BST on Friday, at a field in Chicken Lane, Wallsend.

Thousands of people have liked a Facebook page set up in her memory.
...unless they're privileged white cows, in which case they probably had it coming. :snooty:
ST. PAUL, Minn. – After a cow set for auction escaped from the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul Police officers shot and killed the animal following an hour long chase.

The rare breed of cow, known as an American British White Park, came to the fairgrounds from a Wisconsin farm and was to be sold for breeding at the Minnesota British White & Park Association auction Saturday in conjunction with the Minnesota Beef Expo. (...)

Fellow Minnesota British White & Park Association breeders agreed it was the best option with a threat to public safety. Many stressed the breed is docile and gentle, but in this case, the cow panicked in a strange environment.

"It was handled as well as it could be, the police, the fair, animal control, just an unfortunate ending to something that happened merely by chance," said Rick Stockhill, a fellow breeder with Minnesota British White & Park Association.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Sulman wrote:The Ada Initiative targeting a con speaker and getting them knocked off the bill, by way of leveraging a CoC.

It's a very good thing that the Ada Initiative has gone the way of Carrier's marriage, PZ's respect in the movement and Ophelia Benson's fertility.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Sunder wrote:
No, they haven't. They've been telling them to please reconsider while holding their pinky up when drinking tea. What I mean is a big, major FUCK OFF!
Harris have pretty much given the SJWs the finger, among a ton of other things calling PZ a "shepherd of Internet trolls". What he thinks of SJWs and the regressive left is crystal clear...

Dawkins has also made his stance pretty clear, taunting and mocking SJWs quite often, though he seem to be a bit more laid back and mostly doing his poking and taunting in a casual manner on twitter etc, and not in any sort of serious settings.

Basically, Dawkins seem to be approaching the whole SJWs thing the same way he approches Craigs request for a debate, ie. it'd be a waste of Dawkins time but be a very sweet thing for the morons who got the attention that would inevitable follow - and who the fuck can blame him after the Elevatorgate clusterfuck, where he inadvertently kickstarted Watsons career into overdrive with just 3 offhand comments?

Personally, the fact that none of the four horsemen drank the kool-aid one of the big reasons as to why I don't view the SJW/atheism+ fiascoes as the reasons for the decline of the "atheist community". The SJW invasion of the A/S community wasn't successful - yes they won some battles, but ultimately they failed, what they got was a small shitty part of the A/S community splintering of, consisting of a bunch of C, D and E-list celebrities forming their own failed US-centered con-circuit that manage to draw 40 people at a lucky day... Basically, they snatched some of the middle management, but none of the CEOs and very few of the grunts on the floor.

The reason why the A/S community has declined isn't because of the SJWs but because the threat of creationists is pretty much gone after Obama took over from Bush, and because it get boring listening to the same fucking stock counter-arguments debunking stock creationism and stock apologetic arguments, over and over and over and over and over AND OVER again.

Especially when the master is dead - Hitchens was the main attraction, he was the guy who knew how to deliver in front of an audience - good with language, being able to think quickly on his feet, a walking encyclopedia of quotes, and a good speaker. You can listen to Hitchens deliver the same argument 10 times and still be at least somewhat entertained - tune into the Atheist Experience for the 210th time and listen to Dillahunty deliver the same fucking stock argument he learned 10 years ago for the 67th time again, and excuse me while I go grab my phone, I'll be standing in the corner taking a selfie of myself barfing.

If anything, the SJW clown fiesta might have kept interest up in the whole A/S community - hell, without the SJW drama keeping us entertained, who here (or in other places) really would still even remember the name of orgs like CFI or people like Ben Radford?

Really?

Post by Really? »

KiwiInOz wrote:

"Who's that girl?"
Dunno. But it was considerate of people to put a top over the straitjacket.
So let me get this straight. Last night, Elyse lied about fearing for her life after a man said shit that was 25% as creepy and abusive as what she said. She blasted the guy online and called the cops. Now she's in the hospital...again.

Where in the fuck are her kids and why isn't Elyse complaining about having them taken away?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Because it's hailing now, and cuz I'm on a roll, and cuz Dan Arel is a cunt:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropol ... 2404155234

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

windy wrote:
x_?_x wrote: I have to wonder: is this cow part of the heteronormative continuum, or does it have enough black to be a part of the oppressed class that require our (benevolent) assistance?

#bovinelivesmatter

The cow, nicknamed Bessie, was one of three that escaped from Rising Sun Country Park in North Tyneside on Sunday.

A helicopter and six police marksmen tracked the trio - two were recaptured but Bessie was shot "in the interests of public safety".

The vigil is to take place at 18:00 BST on Friday, at a field in Chicken Lane, Wallsend.

...unless they're privileged white cows, in which case they probably had it coming. :snooty:
ST. PAUL, Minn. – After a cow set for auction escaped from the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul Police officers shot and killed the animal following an hour long chase.

The rare breed of cow, known as an American British White Park, came to the fairgrounds from a Wisconsin farm and was to be sold for breeding at the Minnesota British White & Park Association auction Saturday in conjunction with the Minnesota Beef Expo. (...)

Fellow Minnesota British White & Park Association breeders agreed it was the best option with a threat to public safety. Many stressed the breed is docile and gentle, but in this case, the cow panicked in a strange environment.

"It was handled as well as it could be, the police, the fair, animal control, just an unfortunate ending to something that happened merely by chance," said Rick Stockhill, a fellow breeder with Minnesota British White & Park Association.
Oh for fuck's sake.
I swatted a fly today.
The memorial will be on Saturday. I expect you all to attend. Donations and flowers should be sent to......

Sorry to hear about your friend Phil. It's always tragic when they over to the 'light' side.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

windy wrote:

#bovinelivesmatter

I've done my fair share of cow catching. I can't get the videos to run, but from the stills, I don't see why it had to be shot. I read that animal control didn't have strong enough sedatives for a bovine. In Minnesota - WTF?

free thoughtpolice

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Because it's hailing now, and cuz I'm on a roll, and cuz Dan Arel is a cunt:

Tough debate you have there. That Trev Mamone is a real tiger! :animals-cat:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

On Nov. 27, Elyse Anders posted to facebook a previous text exchange with the same guy she accused of being a rapist on December 8.

The previous exchange was similar to the latter one-- with the guy being 'forward' in propositioning her, Elyse declining, and the guy persisting. Then Elyse calls the guy a rapist in the comments, & her facebook commenters single-out one or two sympathetic male ally commenters to kick-around.

Elyse & her commenters show no recognition that the text guy might not have believed her rejection was serious-- because she kept telling him jokes. Instead, they mob one of their own, on suspicion of finding the exchange 'funny'.

"Nothing is funny about persisting after a woman says 'no'," remarks one commenter. Apparently 'No Means No' is not restricted to instances whether the man & woman are in the same proximity... and actual sex is physically possible. In this case, the guy is miles away & doesn't even know Elyse's last name or address:

"Let's do a gangbang then"
"No."
"Yes."

Was that virtual gang-rape?

Screencaps:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Speaking of Rebecca Watson & Elyse's forays into Stand-up Comedy,
there's only one way for women to ever excel in any field: a hashtag, a public shaming campaign, loose accusations of discrimination, special benefits, quotas.

http://i.imgur.com/bQmxYGj.png

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Because it's hailing now, and cuz I'm on a roll, and cuz Dan Arel is a cunt:

Tough debate you have there. That Trev Mamone is a real tiger! :animals-cat:
Ubiquitous to Patheos, trans lunatic Charleigh Kimber is there. Don't bother trying to reason with her. I once cited a bunch of sources to her and her response was "nice word salad."

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I've run into Trev a couple of times since another lurker said, "join me, Luke Matt, and together we can rule the galaxy Patheos discussion streams." He seems like a gentle soul who's never thought long enough or hard enough to realize what utter shite SJWism is.

Charleigh is an obnoxious little cunt, like all those MLP otherkin seem to be.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Service Dog wrote:On Nov. 27, Elyse Anders posted to facebook a previous text exchange with the same guy she accused of being a rapist on December 8.

The previous exchange was similar to the latter one-- with the guy being 'forward' in propositioning her, Elyse declining, and the guy persisting. Then Elyse calls the guy a rapist in the comments, & her facebook commenters single-out one or two sympathetic male ally commenters to kick-around.

Elyse & her commenters show no recognition that the text guy might not have believed her rejection was serious-- because she kept telling him jokes. Instead, they mob one of their own, on suspicion of finding the exchange 'funny'.

"Nothing is funny about persisting after a woman says 'no'," remarks one commenter. Apparently 'No Means No' is not restricted to instances whether the man & woman are in the same proximity... and actual sex is physically possible. In this case, the guy is miles away & doesn't even know Elyse's last name or address:

"Let's do a gangbang then"
"No."
"Yes."

Was that virtual gang-rape?

Screencaps:
Always nice to see Smellody Hensley (Melody Hensley, in case she's doing a vanity search) casting aspersion on DJ Grothe. Why do women get so much harassment online? PTSD.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
Service Dog wrote:I enjoy watching Steve Shives suppress his gut reactions to his odious wife.

Now we know why he scowls at his webcam & expresses stern opinions, directed at unseen opponents.

Plenty of eye-rolling from her; when he talks.

They don't want their true, ugly relationship to be caught on camera. But they must make a video, rather than confront each other.

Dr. David Schnarch's term, "Normal Marital Sadism", is on ample display.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in ... tal-sadism
Speaking of Steve Shives, Sargon has uploaded a new video about him:

Watching Shives has reminded me of that sinking feeling I got 25 years ago when I realized that when the chips are down not only did the feminists have no sympathy for a man encountering a sexist family court system, they actively mocked and victim-blamed. I hadn't seen that purely cruel a version of that particular misandry directed right in my face for quite a while (in Sargon's video starting around 3 minutes) . I think Sargon is right that (I paraphrase wildly) his mean streak is actually his wife's, who has two mean streaks so can share one with him.

feathers

Post by feathers »

comhcinc wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Who sez we haven't made progress:

Ernst Röhm?
Good find, although he was hardly 'crypto'.
Well ok, they did put him in a crypt.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

So yeah, I definitely think jar-jar is revealed as a heel ere the new trilogy ends.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

SZvan has a purple prose post up graphically documenting a night of abject terror when a man politely said hello as he walked by and she nearly shit her pants.

It explains a lot about her broken state.

https://web.archive.org/save/http://fre ... with-fear/
All that fear has a viscosity to it, a clamminess. No speed of walking, no brisk night breeze can brush it away completely. It can’t claim you, but it’s there. It chitters to itself while hoping for your attention, a distraction from your city, your night, your walk, your love.

Soapy Stevens

Post by Soapy Stevens »

Service Dog wrote:Speaking of Rebecca Watson & Elyse's forays into Stand-up Comedy,
there's only one way for women to ever excel in any field: a hashtag, a public shaming campaign, loose accusations of discrimination, special benefits, quotas.

Wait, don't tell me, I know how this one ends:

Women comics slam comedy clubs' culture of misogyny

"They just sit there with their arms folded," complained radical don't-call-me-comedienne Ada Lovehandle. "I was literally raped on stage by male gaze. And the heckling, ugh! That never happens to the men in this business. It's misogyny pure and simple. And I don't know what they're complaining about: you can't tell me there isn't comedy in mainstreaming the concept of how patriarchal structures silence true humour.

"We won't have true equality on the comedy circuit until all men in the audience are put in cages and cattle prodded until they laugh."

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

This is rolling around the twitterverse. I really should check the source I suppose.

http://i.imgur.com/VRsWWVO.jpg

Soapy Stevens

Post by Soapy Stevens »

Brive1987 wrote:SZvan has a purple prose post up graphically documenting a night of abject terror when a man politely said hello as he walked by and she nearly shit her pants.

That reminds me of the post-WWII short film Your Job in Germany, scripted by none other than Dr Seuss and directed by Frank Capra: "You will not be friendly.... There will be no fraternization with any of the German people."

Movie link:

Cabaret Voltaire fans may recognise the voiceover from Don't Argue on the album Code.

Soapy Stevens

Post by Soapy Stevens »

Brive1987 wrote:This is rolling around the twitterverse. I really should check the source I suppose.

http://i.imgur.com/VRsWWVO.jpg
I think the figures are accurate though potentially misleading by treating the Muslim population as one bloc and because it excludes Muslims in Western Europe, China and the Americas. The Pew survey is a big one: 38,000 respondents across a fair spread of countries in Asia and Africa. The bulk of that hardcore calling for death to apostates seems to be concentrated in areas with the most Saudi influence (surprise, surprise): South Asia (Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan), Middle East and North Africa. The number in South Asia is disturbingly high - 75%. The Russian-influenced Central Asia and South Eastern Europe numbers were much lower - less than 20% (though that isn't exactly reassuring).

There was also a conflict in the shari'a numbers - in some regions the respondents wanted shari'a but not necessarily for non-Muslims. You can probably guess which regions wanted shari'a for all.

Some countries were excluded from the survey, presumably for access reasons, such as Iran, Syria and, natch, Saudi Arabia.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Thank you.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Service Dog wrote:Speaking of Rebecca Watson & Elyse's forays into Stand-up Comedy,

The funny thing (no pun intended) is, that the comedians I know seem to have a pretty equal m/f distribution of fans. But there must be some invisible force at work that stops the audience from applauding at auditions.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

So Mykeru's law again, then...having made atheism and gaming all about their vaginas, they want to do the same with the comedy scene.

Unfortunately for these cretins, they are stumbling into a field where there is no other test other than whether you can make people laugh. And while feminists might be famous for many things, being funny is not one of them (outside of their crazy echo chamber, where something can only considered 'funny' if it aligns with their dogmatism)

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Brive1987 wrote:SZvan has a purple prose post up graphically documenting a night of abject terror when a man politely said hello as he walked by and she nearly shit her pants.

All that fear has a viscosity to it, a clamminess. No speed of walking, no brisk night breeze can brush it away completely. It can’t claim you, but it’s there. It chitters to itself while hoping for your attention, a distraction from your city, your night, your walk, your love.
I was about to make the standard observation that Zzzzvan is a truly terrible writer, how she clearly thinks her screeds have great fluency and depth, when they are in fact tortuous and trite, but this commenter beat me to it:
That was gorgeous.
I promise to read it again later for the thinky part…just going to sit here and admire your wordsmithing awhile longer.
Oh wait. No. :o

Soapy Stevens

Post by Soapy Stevens »

Søren Lilholt wrote: I was about to make the standard observation that Zzzzvan is a truly terrible writer, how she clearly thinks her screeds have great fluency and depth, when they are in fact tortuous and trite, but this commenter beat me to it:
That was gorgeous.
I promise to read it again later for the thinky part…just going to sit here and admire your wordsmithing awhile longer.
Oh wait. No. :o
They may simply not be as smart as they think they are: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 57731.html

Direct link to paper that finally finds a way to apply Deepak Chopra to science: http://journal.sjdm.org/15/15923a/jdm15923a.html

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Ahh, but it was a black man! So she checks her privilege, and admits well - he might have been scared as well. He had reason to, you see, for she has WHITE skin.

Now had it been a white man, I'm sure her post would have been all about how he never showed a trace of fear as he took his privileged steps on the sidewalk, deliberately terrorizing her (or perhaps merely clueless as we know so many white men are of course!) and wearing his male, white skin as the absolute shield...

Keating

Post by Keating »

Søren Lilholt wrote:

[img.]http://i.imgur.com/bQmxYGj.png[/img]
So Mykeru's law again, then...having made atheism and gaming all about their vaginas, they want to do the same with the comedy scene.

Unfortunately for these cretins, they are stumbling into a field where there is no other test other than whether you can make people laugh. And while feminists might be famous for many things, being funny is not one of them (outside of their crazy echo chamber, where something can only considered 'funny' if it aligns with their dogmatism)
To be fair, sometimes you can play 'feminism or Onion article'. That usually makes me cry instead of laughwhen I get it wrong though.

Billy The Hillbilly

Post by Billy The Hillbilly »

there is no escape

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Brive1987 wrote:SZvan has a purple prose post up graphically documenting a night of abject terror....
Jesus Christ.

The thought of a clammy Zvan (or worse) is enough to set anyone's fear a-chittering.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Strikes me again just how hopelessly elitist feminist goals/quotas usually are, as if measuring how well superstar comics, CEO's, billionaire's, etc. who happen to be women are doing is any kind of barometer to how well women are doing in general. How does that say anything about "blue-collar" women? The very term "blue-collar women" appears to be a misnomer since you hear is so infrequently. In fact, I can't remember ever hearing it. Why doesn't feminism focus on rank and file occupations, composing the vast majority of women and how well/not well they're doing?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Cnutella wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:SZvan has a purple prose post up graphically documenting a night of abject terror....
Jesus Christ.

The thought of a clammy Zvan (or worse) is enough to set anyone's fear a-chittering.
You could nickname her Clammy Whinette :)

feathers

Post by feathers »

Come again, what do they want us to drop? The name Pete?

Soapy Stevens

Post by Soapy Stevens »

In which social justice rangers out themselves as racist – reading entirely racist connotations into the name of a restaurant that's been trading in Colorado for years run by a bloke called Pete who wanted a countercultural name for his burrito place. Well, I guess he got his wish: it's counter this particular culture.