Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
John D

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by John D »

Bhurzum wrote:
John D wrote:We have a shared "base" of genetics from an African past, but different races have different genes from other hominid species. Yes.... the Tibetans have many shared genes with non-Tibetans, but they also have parts of the genome that are 100% unique that were from a non-Homo Sapien hominid species. Cool shit!
Fascinating stuff indeed.

Once again, sorry if my ignorance on the subject is showing but surely that would suggest "race" is a real/physical thing? I was under the impression the "differences" we have are the result of evolutionary pressures?

In fact, can you recommend a good (idiot level) book or two on the subject?
You can watch the show here:

http://www.pbs.org/first-peoples/home/

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

John D wrote:You can watch the show here:

http://www.pbs.org/first-peoples/home/
Excellent, many thanks!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Time to put Michael Eisen as yet another scientist who has drunk too heavily from the po-mo/feminist well...

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Kirbmarc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Hang on, McEwan believes that Obama forced Hillary to be anti-gay marriage for 15 years? :shock:

Wait, what?
http://www.shakesville.com/2015/06/i-se ... e.html?m=1
Straight from the horse's mouth:
Melissa McEwan wrote:Never mind that we know her opposition was likely a condition of her employment with the administration, as Vice President Joe Biden was roundly criticized for going "off-script" when he came out in favor of same-sex marriage, thus forcing President Obama's hand. But Obama always allowed Clinton the freedom to advance queer rights via the State Department, and she ran with it. Anyway.)
Yes, McEwan seems to believe that Clinton's opposition of gay marriage was all Obama's fault.
So basically, because she has a vagina, Hillary is inherently more progressive than Bernie Sanders and it is only the evil patriarchy that stops this being self-evident.

With a thought process as loose and unanchored to reality that, McEwen might technically be eligible to sectioned under mental health regulations.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

deLurch wrote:That brings up another issue. While I believe that the average woman who trains for strength can and will be stronger than a man who doesn't. I suspect that the reliance/expectation on men to do the heavy lifting leads to compounding the existing biological average imbalance strength between the sexes. Strength goes to those who use their muscles.

Despite your desire to throw women a bone, your premise is just wrong. The 'standard' intermediate goal for the average-sized woman in bench press is 105lbs. Something you'd expect an 8th grade boy to be able to do. The ELITE weightlifting standard for the average-sized woman is 165lbs. A standard the average man is expected to meet at the novice (beginner) level.

(These are for 181lb men, 148lb women.)

I'll spare you the rest of the boring details. But unless you're comparing the super-elite female bodybuilders (who tend to bench in the low 200's (which barely 'intermediate man')(215lbs)) to the general population... You're just way out of the ballpark in your estimation.

Bottom-line is men are just superior athletes in everything but 'ultra-endurance' events, like swimming the English Channel where women are actually quite superior. And no amount of 'being charitable' is going to change that. It's biology and the benefits of testosterone.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Bhurzum wrote:
John D wrote:We have a shared "base" of genetics from an African past, but different races have different genes from other hominid species. Yes.... the Tibetans have many shared genes with non-Tibetans, but they also have parts of the genome that are 100% unique that were from a non-Homo Sapien hominid species. Cool shit!
Fascinating stuff indeed.

Once again, sorry if my ignorance on the subject is showing but surely that would suggest "race" is a real/physical thing? I was under the impression the "differences" we have are the result of evolutionary pressures?

In fact, can you recommend a good (idiot level) book or two on the subject?
I really enjoyed Before The Dawn by Nicholas Wade. He disgraced himself later with A Troublesome Inheritance, but this book isn't contentious. It's probably a bit out of date by now, but still a good and informative read for non-population-geneticists.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tribble wrote: Women, as a population, just aren't that interested in STEM fields as men. In the 15 years we've spent millions upon millions of dollars smashing boys down while propping girls up for STEM careers. Yet in the past 15 years the percentage of girls going into engineering (for example) has dropped from 19% of engineering students to 17% of engineering students. DESPITE female enrollments still going up relative to men.
That's cuz Teh Patriarchyâ„¢ brain-washed them as children with Easy-Bake Ovens, shitlord!
I wanted an Easy Bake oven but I knew if I got one I'd be teased to death so I never opened my mouth. Finally got one for my daughter. She really wasn't into it that much, but it was kind of fun cooking with a 100 watt lightbulb for a few times. But it was slow. Then I put in a bigger bulb and melted it. No great loss.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I love desert places. Australia sounds like heaven.
Consider:
Zion & Bryce in Utah

Sedona in Arizona

Anza-Borrego & Joshua Tree in Southern California

Up in my neck of the woods, we have some dramatic, austere scenery at
old hydraulic mining sites

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Yes, Parsehole, I'm with Git. Impregnate me immediately.
I'm already carrying Godfrey's love-child. Planning the baby shower as we speak.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I'm working my way through Nicholas Wade's Before the Dawn and loving it. Prior to that I read A Troublesome Inheritance. What makes you think it was disgraceful? I thought the backlash was primarily driven by leftist knee jerk reactions to discussions of race as a biological reality. I will say I don't share his optimism about people not using that sort of research to push racist policies though

Shatterface as Guest

Post by Shatterface as Guest »

Feminist Julie Burchill in The Guardian back in 1999:
That young men succeed in suicide more often than girls isn't really the point. Indeed, the more callous among us would say that it was quite nice for young men finally to find something that they're better at than girls.
The Guardian, yesterday:
Burchill urged others to “look after the people you love” after she revealed in a post on her publicly accessible Facebook page that her son had taken his own life. She asked to be left alone to grieve his death.
Shatterface

Shatterface as Guest

more from Burchill, 1999:
The last time I suggested that suicides should be left to get on with it, I received a small number of letters from people whose sons had killed themselves. All of them demanded an apology. I'd advise them this time to save their stamps because, you see, I don't care. I don't care because most nights of the week I still dream of my dad, who I saw waste away almost to nothing, eaten alive by the tumours that were his retirement gift for working with asbestos. Every day, as his legs went, as his sight went, my dad would declare that tomorrow he would be taking the dog out; he clung to life like a dog playing tug-of-war for the biggest, juiciest raw steak in the world.

To ask me to feel sympathy with suicides after witnessing this is, I suggest, just as unfeeling and ignorant as my callousness must appear to you - like asking a starving African to sympathise with an anorexic. In a society still beset with the most vicious social deprivation and rampant cruelty to the very young, the very old and the very weak, the voluntary exits of a few hundred able-bodied young men each year are best dealt with as private tragedies rather than a public concern. Let them go.
Shatterface

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

A man who kills himself is probably so worthless that a woman cannot possibly benefit from him in any case, so no great loss.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:Feminist Julie Burchill in The Guardian back in 1999:
That young men succeed in suicide more often than girls isn't really the point. Indeed, the more callous among us would say that it was quite nice for young men finally to find something that they're better at than girls.
The Guardian, yesterday:
Burchill urged others to “look after the people you love” after she revealed in a post on her publicly accessible Facebook page that her son had taken his own life. She asked to be left alone to grieve his death.
Shatterface
It appears she taught her son well.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John D wrote: She gets too upset and says stuff like.... "You always have to be right!" haha.... In this case I am right...bitch! haha!
Lol I am sure that goes over well.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

The Tim Hunt fiasco, in a nutshell:

SJWs: Tim Hunt seriously believes that men and women should work in segregated labs! Burn the witch!

Normal people: He says he was joking and that he's sorry. I mean, it was a really bad joke, obviously, and ill-timed to boot, but it sounds like he doesn't really believe that scientists should work in gender-segregated labs. Many colleagues and former students (men and women alike) have spoken up in his defense, and he seems to have a great track record. He's been publicly shamed already. Shouldn't we let it drop now that he's apologized and said it was a joke?

SJWs: But Deborah Blum says that when she spoke to him after his speech, he said that he was speaking from a place of "honesty." So it wasn't a joke at all, and he meant every word of it literally! He's just lying now to save face!

Normal people: Deborah Blum was actually pretty vague there. She didn't quote what he said to her; she just put "honesty" in quotation marks without making clear what part of his remarks it applied to ("His speech, he told me, was rooted in 'honesty,' not humor."). Perhaps the "honesty" was that he's had issues in the past with romances between lab partners? Or that chauvinism is still a problem in science? Or something else entirely from his speech (since, you know, Connie St. Louis only reported like 3 sentences of it)? We really can't tell, because Blum doesn't specify. In any case, you've now managed to force Hunt to resign from his post, which seems a bit disproportionate.

SJWs: Oh, so bitchez be lyin? Why are you so eager to defend a sexist old straight white male in STEM? The very fact that in the matter of what he meant you would take his word over that of Connie St. Louis and Deborah Blum reveals something ugly about you.

Normal people: But look here! Breaking news! Someone who was there has provided a fuller transcription of what he said, and the context shows that it was, in fact, a (very bad) joke. Look how he only uses "girls" during the joke part (while mimicking a chauvinist) and uses "women" before and after. That's a clear change of tone. And how about that "Now seriously"? And his explicit statements of support for women in science? I'm not defending the joke, but can we chalk it up to low social IQ rather than malice or misogyny? He clearly wasn't actually making a case for gender-segregated labs during a speech to women in science.

SJWs: Oh, so bitchez be lyin? Why should we take that so-called transcript at face value, when we have contradictory second-hand testimonies that say that there was no "Now seriously"?

Normal people: Well, maybe not everyone heard the "Now seriously." Maybe they didn't notice it while reeling from the joke that they didn't realize was a joke. Or maybe they're just feeling the pressure to double-down to save face now. Regardless, what reason is there to think that this leaked EU transcript is a fake? I'm not saying it's impossible that someone faked it in Hunt's defense, but doesn't a simple misunderstanding seem more likely?

SJWs: But even if it was a joke, it was a really bad joke, and it changes nothing, because only a misogynist would make it.

Normal people: I agree that it was a really bad joke. I said as much from the beginning, as did Hunt when he apologized. But how can you say it changes nothing? If it had initially been reported as a joke, he wouldn't have been forced to resign. The story caught traction precisely because it was thought that he was honestly advocating for gender-segregated labs. He wasn't. You and your friends picked up and ran with a story that turned out to be a lie, and you actively participated in a lynch mob that unjustly led to the destruction of his reputation and the loss of his position. Don't you think you owe him an apology?

SJWs: No, shitlord! Shut up and listen to the women: if they say he really meant it, then he really meant it! Or if he didn't really mean it, he's still an evil misogynist who deserved to lose his title anyway. Or something. Also, how dare you use the term "lynch mob"? Connie St. Louis is black, you racist!

:bjarte:

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Yes, SJWs try to solve the problems they invented in the first place.
That's also what Christianity does, isn't it? 'You suffer from a disease called sin, but I just so happen to have the medicine. Now open your purse and get down on your knees.'

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

So many articles about how this a tragedy for her, of course. Of course. Her pain and her sadness. What a poor, poor woman. She must be lavished with sympathy. Not a word about the dad who actually raised him, as opposed to the vacuous psychotic cunt who wilfully abandoned him and her other son early on and justified it to herself as a glorious feminist act of revolution. Is it really so insane to assume her son had read her material? Why wouldn't he? If I was the estranged son of a famous writer I would undoubtedly seek them.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Wait, I forgot:

Normal people: And now it's come out that Connie St. Louis lied and exaggerated several times on her CV. Her employer has even acknowledged that they've directed her to address this. Perhaps we should bear this in mind while trying to decide what to believe here?

SJWs: Wow, so now you're attacking the credibility of an accomplished journalist just because she's a black woman? Yup, you're a racist and a misogynist. QED.

Normal people: But even her employer has acknowledged this! And it has nothing to do with her sex or race!

(Have I left out anything important?)

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

deLurch wrote:
Keating wrote:..................
That brings up another issue. While I believe that the average woman who trains for strength can and will be stronger than a man who doesn't. I suspect that the reliance/expectation on men to do the heavy lifting leads to compounding the existing biological average imbalance strength between the sexes. Strength goes to those who use their muscles.
I doubt that. I lifted for 25 years and never saw a woman with any appreciable strength. I know there are some strong women around, but they are the exception. There are also quite a few untrained men around appreciably stronger than your average strength-training guy. The vast majority of 120 - 140lb women are never going to attain the strength of a 180lb + guy no matter how hard they train, without steroids that is.

Shatterface as Guest

For anyone not convinced Burchill is a psychotic cunt, the opening paragraph of that 1999 article is:
Was I the only person cynical enough to think that a good catchline for the recently launched football initiative against young male suicide might have been "Don't take it out on yourselves, lads - punch a woman!"?
Shatterface

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:more from Burchill, 1999:
The last time I suggested that suicides should be left to get on with it, I received a small number of letters from people whose sons had killed themselves. All of them demanded an apology. I'd advise them this time to save their stamps because, you see, I don't care. I don't care because most nights of the week I still dream of my dad, who I saw waste away almost to nothing, eaten alive by the tumours that were his retirement gift for working with asbestos. Every day, as his legs went, as his sight went, my dad would declare that tomorrow he would be taking the dog out; he clung to life like a dog playing tug-of-war for the biggest, juiciest raw steak in the world.

To ask me to feel sympathy with suicides after witnessing this is, I suggest, just as unfeeling and ignorant as my callousness must appear to you - like asking a starving African to sympathise with an anorexic. In a society still beset with the most vicious social deprivation and rampant cruelty to the very young, the very old and the very weak, the voluntary exits of a few hundred able-bodied young men each year are best dealt with as private tragedies rather than a public concern. Let them go.
Shatterface
Wow. What a massive cunt. She makes Peezus' assholery about Robin Williams' suicide look good.
Also a huge hypocrite.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tony Parsehole wrote: This one *might* be going somewhere.
too common not to common

because someone needs to piss on your parade ;)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:For anyone not convinced Burchill is a psychotic cunt, the opening paragraph of that 1999 article is:
Was I the only person cynical enough to think that a good catchline for the recently launched football initiative against young male suicide might have been "Don't take it out on yourselves, lads - punch a woman!"?
Shatterface
I suspect that the world would a better place if the campaign was "Don't take it out on yourself, lads-expose Julie Burchill for the incredibly disgusting person she is".

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:Feminist Julie Burchill in The Guardian back in 1999:
The Guardian, yesterday:
Shatterface
Ouch.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Julie Burchill isn't really a feminist. She's just a shit-stirrer, and she'll stir shit from whatever political position her employer wants her to. She's written for the Daily Mail as well as the Guardian. Even so, I'm really not comfortable with using the suicide of her son as a "gotcha".

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Fuck her. Maybe if her fat fucking face wasn't plastered all over media as if she were some sort of fucking victim because her estranged son killed himself (again, zero fucking mention of the dad who actually had custody, or why he had custody in the first place, zero mention of her other son and why she does not have custody of him either), I would give a shit.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

This horrid cunt is just using the very obvious "mother" browny points society gives without actually at any point earning them in any way whatsoever.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Shatterface as Guest wrote:more from Burchill, 1999:

Shatterface
It does appear that she is making a difference between people who commit suicide and the people left to pick up the pieces. I don't know who she is and I don't care. I don't feel the need to celebrate other people's distress. No matter what stupid shit they have said in the past. We all have regrets and we all do stupid shit.

Now excuse me I have to go see if I can convince a kitten to get out from inside my car's engine area.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

An article on Snarkeesian that isn't overawed with her expertise:
http://www.viralglobalnews.com/technolo ... son/31626/

free thoughtpolice

LurkerPerson wrote:A man who kills himself is probably so worthless that a woman cannot possibly benefit from him in any case, so no great loss.
Selfish bastards just do it to deprive womyn of their delicious man tears.

free thoughtpolice

Another shit post about Tim Hunt and PZ leaves this gem in his own comments:

PZ Myers

2 July 2015 at 7:33 am

Jesus fucking christ. Where do you people come from?

We know he was trying to be funny. That doesn’t excuse the fact that he was trying to be funny with sexist stereotypes in front of an audience of women, and we also know by his own goddamned words that he meant what he said.

Read more: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... z3ektVRqyf
Kind of brought to mind that video where PZ does a naughty card trick,and there were women in the audience. :o

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

deLurch wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:[youtube]SMsiixhZ72Q[/youtube]
Single video on that account. So it is either a repost, or poe/troll.
In either case I won't bother analyzing it unless someone can point to the original primary account so an effort can be made to evaluate his Poe status.
It's a mirror, the original has gone, that's what it says in the comments.

KenD

Post by KenD »

paddybrown wrote:Julie Burchill isn't really a feminist. She's just a shit-stirrer, and she'll stir shit from whatever political position her employer wants her to.
She seems to be accepted as a legit feminist by plenty of feminist activists and writers. Some have gone out of their way to defend her against "online misogyny" when her shit-stirring has stirred up a backlash.
paddybrown wrote:She's written for the Daily Mail as well as the Guardian.
That's kind of thing's true of a surprising number of feminists. Her radical feminist buddy Julie Bindel can be found in the Guardian and the Daily Mail too. I don't really see any examples of Burchill (or Bindel) going off-feminist-message when they appear in the right-wing press; they mostly stick to stories where certain feminist/conservative views overlap.

It isn't just professional media feminists like them who have strange right-wing bedfellows, for example many feminist activists joined conservative Christian "morality in media" groups to campaign against "sexualisation". If that kind of opportunism disqualifies them from feminism then there are a lot of prominent figures in the movement who aren't true feminists.
paddybrown wrote:Even so, I'm really not comfortable with using the suicide of her son as a "gotcha".
I have sympathy for him, not a lot for her.

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

comhcinc wrote: Now excuse me I have to go see if I can convince a kitten to get out from inside my car's engine area.
Is the kitten OK? Please tell me the kitten is ok.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Slipterid wrote:
comhcinc wrote: Now excuse me I have to go see if I can convince a kitten to get out from inside my car's engine area.
Is the kitten OK? Please tell me the kitten is ok.

The kitten is fine. I was able to get her to come out and send her on her way. She was lucky it was a lightning storm last night and I had left some shelf stable food in the car. Otherwise I tend to jump in and crank up the radio and take off. I have made a note that I need to take a moment to check from now own.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I wonder if all the colonials on here realise who Julie Burchill's ex-husband is?

http://img.prntscr.com/img?url=http://i ... YaH1rg.png

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Like the rest of the internet, Kitten post kill the pit.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Twitter is blocked from work, so I couldn't see the embeds of Godfrey's latest triumph. But I'm hope now. Parshole, Bravo. Bravissimo.

Have you recovered from that time you spent to Julie Bullshit?

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

home now, even.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only home...

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

married to Julie Bullshit.

Me ungood at wrighting today.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

paddybrown wrote:married to Julie Bullshit.

Me ungood at wrighting today.
http://media.giphy.com/media/CEIJL3xeGFRo4/giphy.gif

In case anyone doesn't know what this is from. This really won't help.

[youtube]rokr2i-BQHk[/youtube]

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

John D wrote: There are several things going on.

1) A 7 cent difference is so small that if feminists admitted this truth they would have no one left to listen to them. They would become irrelevant.
It's not though. It's a lot of money when you look at a lifetime of working. That was kind of my point. The cause of the gap is unknown, but my understanding of the gap is they controlled for most or all known factors. It might not be sexism. But it might. I mean, does anyone here think people who do hiring, promoting or awarding raises are never sexist? Some of the richest people in the USA are socially conservative as fuck.

A 7 cent difference per dollar of income earned is not small at all. This is part of the problem. Feminists talk so much shit that then people feel compelled to never grant them any point even when they might be right. Let's not trivialize what's actually a significant wage difference just because of some hyperbolic SJW assholes.

I'm not convinced that this 7% number is completely explained by other factors not taken into account.

I hate to link Wiki like a Steers, but here you go.
The estimates for the discriminatory component of the gender pay gap include 5%[26]:2 and 7%[27]:9 for federal jobs, and in at least one study grow as men and women's careers progress.[27]:93 One economist testified to Congress that hundreds of studies have consistently found unexplained pay differences which potentially include discrimination.[27]:80 Another criticized these studies as insufficiently controlled, and opined that men and women would have equal pay if they made the same choices and had the same experience, education, etc.[26]: Other studies have found direct evidence of discrimination in recruitment. For example, fewer replies to identical resumes if sent by women with children than by men with children[27]:10 and more jobs for women when orchestras moved to blind auditions (though the data was mixed on this, since, in normal orchestra interviews, women were preferentially chosen over men for some instruments, such as the flute).
I don't think sexism is this rapeculture of rape and oppression that all wombyn experience 24/7. But neither do I think it never happens that some conservative asshole thinks "women shouldn't be working" and passes over her for a job. I was raised around lots of people like that.

I also think it's valid to compare money earned vs quality of life. Women may be choosing to earn less in some ways so they can enjoy a better life, which is a valid choice and one I agree with.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

About the wage gap. I have posted this before but I think Maddox hit it out of the park with this video. Unlike say steersman, it is well research and to the point.

[youtube]BDj_bN0L8XM[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Well, it looks like the Moosa Flounce is over: http://theralphretort.com/noted-attenti ... #more-7678

James Caruthers

LurkerPerson wrote:A man who kills himself is probably so worthless that women and the government cannot possibly benefit from him in any case, so no great loss.
Fixed.

It's no great mystery why nobody cares about male suicide, male homelessness or male domestic violence victims.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Keating wrote:Mostly it's nice to see kangaroos hopping around, or more likely, dead on the side of the road.
Kangaroos hopping dead on the side of the road? That's it. Brown snakes, spiders, crocs, stone fish, and now also zombie kangaroos.

I really have to see that.

James Caruthers

Tony Parsehole wrote:
The Guardian, yesterday:
Shatterface
Ouch.
Maybe God exists and he's a slymepitter. :cdc:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Richard Dworkins wrote:@ Guestus. I agree with everything you've said, in fact the whole "Jim Carey" bit is a perfect example of bleed-over of two different compartmentalised selves and that is the problem. We see it more often in the SJW camp of late, but we have become increasingly tolerant of people who have odd ideas in one sphere bringing it into another sphere where it should be left at the door.

It has been a long, long time since I had to study crap like sociology and it was for many a politically motivated swindle in the main even back in the seventies. However it has become even more absurd in the meantime.

Your last point is great and is exactly the weapon that one should use against po-mo dolts who shirk all forms of objectivity in the first place. If nothing is absolute, then why should anyone listen to them as if they have any authority.

Essentially it seems to me that many people are engaged magical thinking where opinion trumps reality, where they live in a world of "ought" rather than "is" and thus are consistantly railing against their own imagined constructs.
I think I read somewhere that Sociology is now considered by the usual suspects, as a good indication that whatever it proposes is not only more than likely to be untrue, but in fact a reliable indicator that the opposite is more likely to be the case.

Now where was that? OK found it here titled as Inverse weathervanes
I was thinking about something Razib Khan said – that sociology is useful, because it has negative predictive value. He’s probably right, but when you think about it, that’s odd. There are a lot more possible wrong theories than right ones – which means that identifying the right theories is difficult. Identifying anti-correct theories, exact negatives of the truth, should be just as difficult. Perverse, too, of course, but who’s counting?

Considering that sociologists typically deny the very existence of some of the most important causal factors on human behavior (like genetics), you’d think their theories would make about as much sense as Galenic medicine or Freudian psychology – not even wrong. Their theories should not make antisense – more like random nonsense.

Probably they manage this by denying experience. Experience can show that a method works centuries before anyone has a correct theory of why it works. There are things that your grandmother (and her grandmother) knew – (the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, blood is thicker than water) – and without those grannies, sociologists wouldn’t know what to disbelieve.
Bear in mind the author of the above as far as I can recall has little or no respect for the field, and as for Razib his contempt extends to certain aspects of Cultural Antropology as per his spectular rant some time ago which included the following immortal words which can be found here:
Many cultural anthropologists believe that they have deep normative disagreements with Jared Diamond. In reality I think the chasm isn’t quite that large. But the repeated blows ups with Diamond gets to the reality that cultural anthropology has gone down an intellectual black hole, beyond the event horizon of comprehension, never to recover. It has embraced deconstruction, critique, complexity (or more accurately anti-reductionism) and relativism to such a great extent that whereas in many disciplines social dynamics and political power struggles are an unfortunate consequence of academic life, in cultural anthropology the fixation with power dynamics and structures has resulted in its own self-cannibalization, and overwhelming preoccupation with such issues. Everyone is vulnerable to the cannon blast of critique, and the only value left sacred are particular particular ends (social justice, defined by cultural anthropologists) and axioms (white males are oppressive patriarchs, though white male cultural anthropologists may have engaged in enough self interrogation to take upon themselves the mantle of fighting for the rights of the powerless [i.e., not white males]) which all can agree upon.
The bolding & underlining is mine. Read the whole thing shitlords it is entertaining (to me anyway). Top Kek as some are wont to say.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Another shit post about Tim Hunt and PZ leaves this gem in his own comments:

PZ Myers

We know he was trying to be funny. That doesn’t excuse the fact that he was trying to be funny with sexist stereotypes in front of an audience of women, and we also know by his own goddamned words that he meant what he said.

Kind of brought to mind that video where PZ does a naughty card trick,and there were women in the audience. :o
Looks like someone else had the same idea... Myers commenters make the case for why it's ok when PZ does it:
https://archive.is/5EPN7

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

screwtape wrote: I really enjoyed Before The Dawn by Nicholas Wade. He disgraced himself later with A Troublesome Inheritance, but this book isn't contentious. It's probably a bit out of date by now, but still a good and informative read for non-population-geneticists.
I am about to read A Troublesome Inheritance. I have it loaded along with Better Angels of our Nature.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

bhoytony wrote:I wonder if all the colonials on here realise who Julie Burchill's ex-husband is?

http://img.prntscr.com/img?url=http://i ... YaH1rg.png
You had to mention that, didn't you?
You wouldn't let it lie.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

paddybrown wrote:Twitter is blocked from work, so I couldn't see the embeds of Godfrey's latest triumph. But I'm hope now. Parshole, Bravo. Bravissimo.

Have you recovered from that time you spent to Julie Bullshit?
Not really a triumph. Just a way to rile up some people who don't know any better. Which is a hobby for sad men like myself.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

jet_lagg wrote:I'm working my way through Nicholas Wade's Before the Dawn and loving it. Prior to that I read A Troublesome Inheritance. What makes you think it was disgraceful? I thought the backlash was primarily driven by leftist knee jerk reactions to discussions of race as a biological reality. I will say I don't share his optimism about people not using that sort of research to push racist policies though
Now I didn't say it was disgraceful - I said he disgraced himself. The problem is his series of small and reasonable assumptions that added together lead to the contention that social organisation (democracy, tyranny, tribalism etc) is genetically coded. Then he uses this 'fact' to suggest that certain races are doomed to less successful social arrangements because they are, say, genetically tribalists. This is then explicitly offered as a better explanation than Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel hypothesis as to why people, roughly the same in all important respects, can either go to the moon or still be chipping stone hand axes. I believe those who signed the open letter protesting the book did so largely on the grounds that this assumption is unwarranted. The first part of the book is just as interesting as Before The Dawn, in that it uses genetics to compare and contrast populations and I learnt some new things. BTD itself is a book that only makes sense if we accept there are races ('peoples'?) that differ and we can study how they got to where they are and who they are by tracing gene frequencies etc. I have no problem with race as biological reality, and I suspect the nutty anthropologists who say it is a social construct know in their hearts that it isn't true, it's just better for social reasons if we pretend things are that way.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

paddybrown wrote:
Julie Burchill isn't really a feminist. She's just a shit-stirrer, and she'll stir shit from whatever political position her employer wants her to. She's written for the Daily Mail as well as the Guardian. Even so, I'm really not comfortable with using the suicide of her son as a "gotcha".
Her delight in others misery speaks volumes about her basic level of decency. She doesn't have one. She and Bindel are indicative of the worst of the feminocracy.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Another shit post about Tim Hunt and PZ leaves this gem in his own comments:

PZ Myers

Two words: Dove Soap

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

screw tape wrote:... Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel hypothesis as to why people, roughly the same in all important respects, can either go to the moon or still be chipping stone hand axes.
A fantastic book with a brilliant hypothesis . A must-read.

Also the basis for a 3-part PBS mini-series of the same name, worth watching.

feathers

Post by feathers »

LurkerPerson wrote:Fuck her. Maybe if her fat fucking face wasn't plastered all over media as if she were some sort of fucking victim because her estranged son killed himself (again, zero fucking mention of the dad who actually had custody, or why he had custody in the first place, zero mention of her other son and why she does not have custody of him either), I would give a shit.
Wikipedia has her quote:
Burchill has spoken repeatedly and frankly of her relationship with drugs, writing that she had "put enough toot up my admittedly sizeable snout to stun the entire Colombian armed forces".[16] She declared that "As one who suffered from chronic shyness and a low boredom threshold ... I simply can't imagine that I could have ever had any kind of social life without [cocaine], let alone have reigned as Queen of the Groucho Club for a good part of the '80s and '90s."[16]
I guess that would be a very good reason why she didn't get custody.

(I admit never having heard of her before just now)

KenD

Post by KenD »

Badger3k wrote:Well, it looks like the Moosa Flounce is over: http://theralphretort.com/noted-attenti ... #more-7678
He held out a few days longer than I thought he would.

It'll be interesting to see if he sticks around for a while before his next attention seeking flounce goobergator terrorists silence him again with their race hate and death threats.