Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Tribble

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by Tribble »

rayshul wrote:Rape guide. :(

Somebody actually made a video on how to cut chicken wings. I'm sorry, but that's funny. What's next, how to wake up in the morning? How low can we go in providing useful tips for life's little things?

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

NotEvenFalse wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:Die in a fire.
Sorry, I try to stay carbon neutral.
AndrewV69 wrote:Most people here align on the Left.
Yeah, I got that impression.
We have way too few Right wingers if you ask me.
Maybe I'll start with just the tip, then.
Anyway, I dunno if you are expecting a fight over politics or not but so far when people get really passionate it is over things like bread, pocket knives, screwdrivers vs hammers, dual wielding, LARPing, tattoos and other really important stuff like that.
Not so much a fight as habitual frustrating distractions for myself and others. When two people have fundamental disagreements about political assumptions, they tend to talk past each other.
Old_ones wrote:I agree to some extent, but I'm not sure the IQ thing is even relevant. Obviously intelligence will influence your probability of succeeding in a STEM field
You kind of contradicted yourself here. You say IQ is irrelevant but intelligence influences your probability of succeeding in a STEM field.

Snip
Technically, no contradiction at all unless you equate IQ with intelligence and, as the Bard tells us, guys - don't do that.

An IQ test answers one question - how much did I score on a particular questionnaire, relative to the standardisation group? There is a long way from that, via all kinds of technical and theoretical issues, before we can confidently say that this score is a measure of "intelligence" (or, indeed, that it is a 'measure' of anything at all).

I'm not saying IQ tests tell us nothing at all, but that their interpretation relies on a number of (usually unstated ) assumptions, and it is not always clear that these assumptions are hold constant across any group that may take the test. For example, back in the 60s or 70s (see, I can't remember - I was really there!) there was an intelligence test devised in "black" argot in which white kids did about a standard D worse than black kids. Also, in the non-US, questions using "nickels and dimes" had to be explained to testees, but that didn't make then less intelligent, it was a shortcoming of the test.

You know the test isn't a truly objective measure if the scores change when people take the test more than once, and when highly motivated (and highly trained) test takers are able to score higher than others. I suspect that is why Asian kids tend to score higher than average, and may have some effect on why black kids score lower, rather than just differences in intelligence.

That said, if there is a biological component to whatever it is we define as intelligence (which is likely), it's more likely that something can be done to change that than that we can alter the whole of society on the off chance of producing the desired outcome.

Stuff the revolution, better living through chemistry!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The Eye-Socket Rape Scene That
We Need To Talk About

Hayley Krishner is the Cambridge professor* and Huffington Post blogger who wrote about the rape scene in Maleficent.

But, in an earlier essay, Ms. Krishner outed herself as a "witch" who viciously tore off part of her husband's face, refusing to stop-- until he looked more like Johnny Depp.
My husband, Andy, is a handsome, well-put together guy. Sure, there are a few quirks. He favors sweatpants with the bottoms cut off and the fray dragging through the dirt. Then there are his wire glasses (think Anthony Edwards in “Revenge of the Nerds”). Still, I didn’t intend to become one of those I love you, you’re perfect, now change, wives.

But when a single pair of black glasses—black rim, flat across the top, rounded at the bottom, and little retro—worn by People’s ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ came across my radar, the inner fashion witch in me took notice. With one accessory, I could modify Andy’s somewhat nebbishy and unpolished look so that he resembled Johnny Depp.
One thing that's crystal clear, is that Hayley Krishner doesn't believe in Enthusiastic Consent:
....But then my mother offered to watch the kids so we could have an afternoon lunch date. And a trip to the eyeglass store.

Inside the store, Andy stood in front of the mirror and swept his hair out of his face. The glasses were fantastic on him. Masculine. Bewitching.

He said something about them being expensive.

I said something about the glasses making him look hot.

Andy handed his credit card to the salesman.
RAAAAAAAAPE!!!!!

"But, Service Dog," you might now say, "husband-Andy isn't deserving of our pity. After all: he's a man. And like a bowl of M&Ms which are 99% poop-and-or-poison, how do we know Andy is one of the untainted 1% ?"

Fair question. But Hayley Krishner explains why her husband is one of the good ones:
When people tell Andy he looks a celebrity they’ll point to Robin Williams and Ryan Adams. “Or John Denver,” Andy has said. “I get that a lot.”

John Denver or not, I love Andy. He’s a voracious reader. He dreams of volunteer missions to Africa and Haiti. He’s got gray-blue eyes and chin-length hair I can run my fingers through. And when we first met, Andy accepted me, and my baggage—an ex-husband and a toddler—without much of a flinch. But his glasses? Less-than-desirable.
See?!! He sits on the couch and "dreams of volunteer missions to Africa and Haiti". What a hero!

Think of all little, black, imaginary children he has dream-saved!

*Ms. Krishner's bio states: "i also teach a blogging 101 class through lesley university in cambridge." [New Jersey] . And "i also like to write in lower case letters. do not judge me for this."

AnonymousCowherd

Sunder wrote:Cosmos has officially concluded.
Sorry to hear that. Our bit is still going, so I hope it's not catching.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Mr Radio wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: Ruh roh.
Looks like the Grothe reached in his bag of fucks-to-give and there is no longer any to be found. :lol:
That's to be expected from a known rapist. No, wait, that's Michael Shermer. No, wait, that's Ben Radford. No, wait, that's Bill Nye. No, wait, that's Richard Dawkins. No, wait...

Post by Guest »

in case this hasnt been linked here yet

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... of-chicago

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tapir wrote:Check your palms as they will presently encounter your face.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hayley-kr ... 45974.html

http://i.imgur.com/Ve3Xe26.jpg
Oh noes...

I liked Maleficent more when she was just that boss on Kingdom Hearts.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Clarence wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
HoneyWagon wrote:I recent example I saw of a person claiming "rape culture"
https://twitter.com/VanguardVivian/stat ... 9644936192
http://www.clipular.com/c/5475964981084 ... lG4lZd8jlg
Darling Miri claimed that one, too. These people are damaged.
There's an actual argument for it.
Basically, it's about allowing children to learn to set boundaries as to who may touch them and how and who they want to touch and how.
And that,per-se is not a bad thing. Indeed, despite all our hysteria about 'child molestation' and such, I've always liked the 'good touch', 'bad touch' training that many, possibly most kids are given these days. Totally and for arbitrary reasons violating someone's boundaries MAY be argued to normalize a 'rape culture' (in small caps instead in large like THE RAPE CULTURE which implies every aspect of culture encourages rape) in that if you don't learn to set boundaries you are more likely to be raped or otherwise abused.
However the proponents of this 'teach children bodily autonomy and boundaries meme' take it too far in two ways:
A. One, they forget that adults have the ability and the legal power and indeed, the necessity of SOMETIMES and for a good reason violating children's boundaries when doing such is for their own good.
B. The SJW's sexualize EVERYTHING. Just like "Abuse" is now defined as isolated instances of yelling or punching walls or pillows in lieu of people, singular shoves or grabs (real minor stuff) instead of , you know, choking , or hitting, or deliberately and repeatedly belittling them, a HUG is totally sexualized by the SJW brigade and the peck on the chin that little Johnny is forced (for social reasons) to give Dear Old Aunt Maude is compared to full-throated french kiss.

This is one reason why governments have so much power these days. This over-defining of rights and abuse involves meddling and takes the personal is political to a new level.
You Anglo-Saxons and your obsession about "no touching", "don't violate my personal space". Peezus Fucking Myers on a unicycle, yours is an apersonal, sterile culture with no fucking human warmth. After you Puritan fuckers became the center of the world, suddenly everything is wrong, every touch is rape, every contact is sinful. I do hope the Chinese surpass you as a superpower, if not just to make the world less boring to the touch.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

http://timesleader.com/news/local-news- ... invocation

I was featured on front page of a local newspaper today talking about prayer at council meetings, my upcoming secular invocation, FFRF banner, and more.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Lsuoma raped us of our ability to edit our posts.

AnonymousCowherd

Tapir wrote:Lsuoma raped us of our ability to edit our posts.
Only to stop you raping your posts of their "errors" ( as defined by the cishet patriarchy, so not "errors" at all, really).

AnonymousCowherd

Tapir wrote:Lsuoma raped us of our ability to edit our posts.
Only to stop you raping your posts of their "errors" ( as defined by the cishet patriarchy, so not "errors" at all, really).

AnonymousCowherd

That post identifies as singleton. Shut up and listen.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

rayshul wrote:You know what, every woman I've met who makes six digits is not a SJW.
In fact apart from a few outliers (and I can think only of two) I could probably split my friends between SJW and Normal Human along salary lines.
Hmm... well it would make sense that those focusing on building up their own lives would tend to earn a higher salary.

AnonymousCowherd

Service Dog wrote:

The Eye-Socket Rape Scene That
We Need To Talk About

Hayley Krishner is the Cambridge professor* and Huffington Post blogger who wrote about the rape scene in Maleficent.

But, in an earlier essay, Ms. Krishner outed herself as a "witch" who viciously tore off part of her husband's face, refusing to stop-- until he looked more like Johnny Depp.
My husband, Andy, is a handsome, well-put together guy. Sure, there are a few quirks. He favors sweatpants with the bottoms cut off and the fray dragging through the dirt. Then there are his wire glasses (think Anthony Edwards in “Revenge of the Nerds”). Still, I didn’t intend to become one of those I love you, you’re perfect, now change, wives.

But when a single pair of black glasses—black rim, flat across the top, rounded at the bottom, and little retro—worn by People’s ‘Sexiest Man Alive’ came across my radar, the inner fashion witch in me took notice. With one accessory, I could modify Andy’s somewhat nebbishy and unpolished look so that he resembled Johnny Depp.
One thing that's crystal clear, is that Hayley Krishner doesn't believe in Enthusiastic Consent:
....But then my mother offered to watch the kids so we could have an afternoon lunch date. And a trip to the eyeglass store.

Inside the store, Andy stood in front of the mirror and swept his hair out of his face. The glasses were fantastic on him. Masculine. Bewitching.

He said something about them being expensive.

I said something about the glasses making him look hot.

Andy handed his credit card to the salesman.
RAAAAAAAAPE!!!!!

"But, Service Dog," you might now say, "husband-Andy isn't deserving of our pity. After all: he's a man. And like a bowl of M&Ms which are 99% poop-and-or-poison, how do we know Andy is one of the untainted 1% ?"

Fair question. But Hayley Krishner explains why her husband is one of the good ones:
When people tell Andy he looks a celebrity they’ll point to Robin Williams and Ryan Adams. “Or John Denver,” Andy has said. “I get that a lot.”

John Denver or not, I love Andy. He’s a voracious reader. He dreams of volunteer missions to Africa and Haiti. He’s got gray-blue eyes and chin-length hair I can run my fingers through. And when we first met, Andy accepted me, and my baggage—an ex-husband and a toddler—without much of a flinch. But his glasses? Less-than-desirable.
See?!! He sits on the couch and "dreams of volunteer missions to Africa and Haiti". What a hero!

Think of all little, black, imaginary children he has dream-saved!

*Ms. Krishner's bio states: "i also teach a blogging 101 class through lesley university in cambridge." [New Jersey] . And "i also like to write in lower case letters. do not judge me for this."
Just don't do the "chien Andalou" bit - pretty please...

dogen

Post by dogen »

jimthepleb wrote:I was driving to town the other day kids in the car and all. Chatting to the missus about how much more dangerous these little country roads are in the summer days with the glorious oil seed RAPE flowering on either side. A toyota pickup shoots round the corner and hits the outside bank careering into the side of us raping my mirror the side of the car and the back bumper.

By God I think I've got it!
FTFY.

John D

Post by John D »

deLurch wrote:
rayshul wrote:You know what, every woman I've met who makes six digits is not a SJW.
In fact apart from a few outliers (and I can think only of two) I could probably split my friends between SJW and Normal Human along salary lines.
Hmm... well it would make sense that those focusing on building up their own lives would tend to earn a higher salary.
So, telling people to do something usually pays less than actually doing something?

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Joe Rogan's advice for living:
To anybody that wants advice, here's some advice. Here's the best advice; don't be a cunt. Be nice to people.

dogen

Post by dogen »

John D wrote:
deLurch wrote:
So, telling people to do something usually pays less than actually doing something?
...which is evidence of rape culture, amirite?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

FWIW, the same shrew who cried rape at Maleficent-- previously clutched her pearls about her son's "obsession" with Darth Vader:

http://www.babble.com/kid/kids-hallowee ... obsession/

It's not worth the bother, but a close reading does yield a variety of raised-eyebrows and facepalms:

-For one thing, this piece was published by Disney.

-Also, I've now read 3 articles by her-- and she's 3-for-3 when it comes to mentioning "witches".

-There's a creepy bit where she sexualizes the relationship between her preschool son & his best friend, a girl named Franny.

-And, much like the makeover she gave her husband-- to look more like Johnny Depp, the author tries to impose her sex fantasies on her son, too:
"“What about Han Solo?” I asked, pushing my favorite character. Who could resist the ornery, handsome and rebellious Harrison Ford? He’s Indiana Jones for chrissakes!"

-I don't see any difference between the metaphorical rape of Annakin Skywalker and Maleficent's origin story; but the author doesn't invoke "rape" in the case of Darth Vader.

-She cites a study thusly: "...most men and boys were attracted to the monsters’ superhuman strength, their intelligence and their embodiment of pure evil..."

In actuality, the study does not specify "men and boys" as any-more attracted to those qualites than women and girls:
Reasons by Gender

Male and female participants answered with similar reasons as to why a monster
was their favorite. When analyzed by multiple t-tests, in only three instances were
significant differences revealed. But three reasons out of 43 being significantly different
could have easily occurred by chance and only one of the three reasons was related to
violence while the other two dealt with identification. Males were more likely to explain
their selection of Godzilla (Mmales = 1.15, Mfemales= 0.25, t(691) = 3.42, p<.001). and
King Kong (Mmales =1.71, Mfemales = 0.43, t(691) = 2.14, p<.05) because they felt the
monsters “reminds me of myself.” As regards reasoning related to violence, Chucky was
selected by males more often than females because “I like the way the monster kills
people” (Mmales = 2.67, Mfemales =1.00, t(691) = 6.5, p<.001). All other monster
comparisons showed little difference or no discernible pattern of differences in selected
reasoning among males and females.
http://web.calstatela.edu/faculty/sfisc ... sters1.pdf

John D

Post by John D »

Secular Coalition of America has given us this nice list of their favorite websites. Interesting to see what is at the top of the list and what is missing from the list.
http://secular.org/content/secular-must-read-list-0

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Aneris wrote:In other news, PZ has handed over the keys. The inmates now also officially run the asylum. The regular who got the spare keys is no other than ChasCPeterson who often made quite good comments. Perhaps the situation is improving now. He wants to blog about sciency topics, too. Great!

oh wait… what were you thinking!? The person who became co-blogger is actually “Crip Dyke, Right Reverend Feminist FuckToy of Death & Her Handmaiden” who wants to make a workshop on gender.
http://i.imgur.com/jBYdzmt.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

John D wrote:Secular Coalition of America has given us this nice list of their favorite websites. Interesting to see what is at the top of the list and what is missing from the list.

Ha, he didn't even make the "odds and sods" list defined as:
We recommend these sources even though they did not make the list because their following is small, or their focus is not entirely secular news. Alphabetically: - See more at: http://secular.org/content/secular-must ... 597P7.dpuf

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Crip dykes workshop.
Exercise 9: Think of a gender neutral object. No. Not that one. Because gender, right? Exactly. That other one. Now you’ve got it. Ready? Sketch it.
:doh:

No wonder it's only got 4 comments.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

justinvacula wrote:http://timesleader.com/news/local-news- ... invocation
I was featured on front page of a local newspaper today talking about prayer at council meetings, my upcoming secular invocation, FFRF banner, and more.
I would hope that your city council is not so dense that they don't understand that prohibiting non-christian prayers for the invocation doesn't pass the recent supreme court's ruling. They would surely lose if it went to court. The opening for public comment, just doesn't pass muster as other religions are not treated equally.

So, are they probably sticking with their current approach to curry favor with the voters, or hanging on until a court challenge is issued.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

dogen wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Mr Radio wrote:I love Monty Python and all, and have every season in my DVD collection, but The Meaning of Life is one of the worst, unfunniest pieces of trash ever committed to film. Not trolling, and I can't understand how others think it's anything but (especially considering the rave critic reviews.) It's one of those movies that I would wish I could forget, but if I did, I'd run the risk of picking it up and watching it again from the title alone.
HA! I logged in just to say the exact same thing. Compared to Holy Grail or Life of Brian it's even worse. Unwatchable.
Thirded. It's utter shite.
It was worth it just for "Every Sperm is Sacred".

katamari Damassi

John D wrote:Secular Coalition of America has given us this nice list of their favorite websites. Interesting to see what is at the top of the list and what is missing from the list.
Glad to see Fincke get some love but Evertard?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

rayshul wrote:I remember the time when the sun totally raped the fuck out of Icarus.

That was some fucking rape culture right there.
I’m going to say something that should be obvious: a minority of celestial bodies think about wax in quite this violent and hateful a way. An even smaller minority act on that violence so brazenly. But many celestial bodies melt wax and violate mythical aeronauts' boundaries and autonomy constantly, and all celestial bodies are socialized to think about themselves, about melting, and about wax in similar ways.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Brive1987 wrote:Crip dykes workshop.
Exercise 9: Think of a gender neutral object. No. Not that one. Because gender, right? Exactly. That other one. Now you’ve got it. Ready? Sketch it.

What gender is a fucking rock, Crip Dyke, you moron?

Crazy. What idiots. I can't think of a single object in the room I'm typing this in that I could describe as having a gender. Crip Dyke's brain would rattle in a flea's skull.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Dan Fincke is a simpleton.

Everhard is another Peezus in the making.

Secular Woman made the list? On what grounds?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Like all SJW endeavours it's become a session of sniffing the vintage of one's own farts.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers wrote:

Crazy. What idiots. I can't think of a single object in the room I'm typing this in that I could describe as having a gender. Crip Dyke's brain would rattle in a flea's skull.
After a quick glance around the room I chose the T.V. remote but through the lens of radfem goggles it could be a cock I suppose. Oh, well. I'll choose this soapy watermelon instead.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Das Mädchen.
Das Fenster.

---
|__|

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Fancy that? The be all and end all on the subject of gender is some random cheb-end who regularly comments on Pharyngula. What luck.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Fancy that? The be all and end all on the subject of gender is some random cheb-end who regularly comments on Pharyngula. What luck.
A fair proportion of FTB's drama squad are basically the same thing - big-mouthed know-nothing commenters who've been elevated to having their own blogs.
Lousy Canuck, Miri whatserface, and even Svan, have all been commenters who are either friends with Peezus or showed their loyalty by sticking up for the party line no matter how stupid it is.

I suspect that Peezus has too much sense to allow nincompoops like Hornbeck or Cainaji loose with their own FTB blog and likewise I doubt that Crip Dyke will get xer own.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

James Caruthers wrote:

I can think of plenty, but it's mostly due to language.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

At first I thought of a hole-puncher, but then I realised that was probably male because of the whole double penetration of poor helpless paper thing. Rape really is everywhere.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

In fact, the only item on my table I can think of as gender equal is my tube of Pringles. Phallic, sure, but you also have to fist-rape it everytime you want to reach some of that crispy goodness. hey, I thing I just found the new symbol for FTB: a box of Pringles...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

*think

Southern

Post by Southern »

James Caruthers wrote:

It's female, in Portuguese and Spanish.

However, it derived the name Petrus,shich is male. So maybe a rock is a trans-FtM mineral person. You racist, sexist, evil cis-powered scum.

John D

Post by John D »

Electrical connector use the terms "male" and "female" and I certainly have some of those in my room. Other connector use this terminology too, like garden hoses. I know that I use the word "nipple" very regularly to refer to objects as well....normally things that have a kind of tip that you hook a hose on. That's all I can think of.

James Caruthers

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
May I remind you, you disgusting Frenchman, that this is written in English by English-speakers? Gendered words are a product of your filthy frog languages. Your cissexist culture and misogynist language are oppressive and patriarchal. :snooty:

Finally, check your "On" privilege. :naughty:

John D

Post by John D »

connectors .... not.... "connector"

James Caruthers

Southern wrote:
It's female, in Portuguese and Spanish.

However, it derived the name Petrus,shich is male. So maybe a rock is a trans-FtM mineral person. You racist, sexist, evil cis-powered scum.
I identify as a trans-human algae, and your use of "scum" as an insult triggered me! :naughty:

Check your bipedal mammalian privilege, shitlord.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: What gender is a fucking rock, Crip Dyke, you moron?

What I was about to say. English-speaking SJWs seem to have little to say about gender divisions in other languages.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Exercise 9: Think of a gender neutral object...

Zinnia Jones.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

dogen wrote: ...which is evidence of rape culture, amirite?
Silly, everything is evidence of Rape Cultureâ„¢! Same for Teh Patriarchyâ„¢. And God.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:
Exercise 9: Think of a gender neutral object...

Zinnia Jones.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3864/143 ... eae2_o.png

katamari Damassi

Walter Ego wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Nelly queens have been giving shit to "straight acting" gays for years-questioning our authenticity, honesty, etc... The truth is they're bitter because the butch gays don't want to fuck them.
Apples wrote: Also Katamari said Grothe fucked his boyfriend. We have the beginnings of a witch-hunt/burning right here at the Pit!
So who's the Nelly and who's the Butch Queen here? Katamari's boyfriend or Grothe?
I don't want to be the Pit's Carrie Poppy so let me just say that I cannot back that up. All I know for sure is that they were both in St. Louis at the same time, chatting on Gaydotcom and my BF thought Grothe was cute. Knowing my BF I'm sure he tried to arrange a hook up, but don't know if it happened. Usually we shared details of our various trysts but this happened about 2 weeks before BF
dumped me for a guy he'd just met and moved him in a month later. I thought that would burn itself out but they're still together.

As for the nelly thing; I don't know. BF was 90% bottom with me, but he's 100% top with his current BF. Note that he was a total virgin when I met him.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Good article about the objectification of male movie stars. If an actor wants to break into the A-list now, he has to be ripped:
http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/bui ... o-20140418

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Whoever runs Dawkins Facebook page LOVES JT. LOVES HIM. All of his posts get linked to. It's pretty gross. So, not surprised.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Rik Mayall has died.
Genuinely gutted.
[youtube]12W34XWIQwU[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

ERV wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Whoever runs Dawkins Facebook page LOVES JT. LOVES HIM. All of his posts get linked to. It's pretty gross. So, not surprised.
As much as I think he's a twat I did enjoy JT's cameo in Bo Selecta.
[youtube]CLqXdlRyJaw[/youtube]

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

In Germany, in the 80s feminists have screwed up our language* by insisting that professions should be gendered. Generally, the plural form is female and the singular form is either male (historical terms and if it has to do with people) or neutral. That's true for “the knife/knives” (“das Messer/die Messer”) or “the car/the cars” (“das auto/die autos”) or “the moon/the moons” (“der Mond/die Monde”; incidentially, our moon is male and the sun is female unlike in the french and italian bro-culture). Likewise, “the engineer/the engineers” was “der Ingenieur/die Ingenieure”. Now “der Student” has become “der Student” (male) or “die Studentin” (female; but the plural “die Studenten” is still female of course) and it is not less gendered, but even more. If you want to address an unknown student, you must write the convoluted and unaesthetic "der/die StudetenIn” to show that it could be either a guy or gal. But now it is even more bi-gendered and of course that isn't right for the next wave of feminists, either and they are about to invent more exotic terms.

There are few cases where gender roles were really enshrined in professions, in historical professions like nurse (“die Krankenschwester” literally “Sister of the Ill-Person” [but “of the” in german denote various relationships and it doesn't mean the sister of the person]. comes via nuns who describe themselves as sisterhood like male monks who call themselves brotherhood, exploiting feelings for kin). But that one was replaced anyway so it works with the generic sheme (now “Krankenpfleger/in” literally “carer of the ill”).

katamari Damassi

Tony Parsehole wrote:Rik Mayall has died.
Genuinely gutted.
[youtube]12W34XWIQwU[/youtube]
Aw man.

RIP Lord Flashheart.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

[youtube]aKfbSHW9uGA[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Rik Mayall has died.
Genuinely gutted.
[footube]12W34XWIQwU[/footube]
I'll always remember him as Lord Flashheart.

[youtube]TihgRRwwokU[/youtube]

Always liked The Young Ones, though, because I was a uni when it was on, and lived in various places in the Clifton/Westbury/Redland area where it was filmed. One flat I had was about 200 yards from their house on Codrington Road.

The pub called The Kebab and Calculator (where Madness performed) was actually called The Cock of the North, then, though it's since been renamed the Westbury Park Tavern. My GF at the time, later my first wife, and I got thrown out of there once for snogging - apparently they didn't have a kissing license...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Aneris wrote:In Germany, in the 80s feminists have screwed up our language* by insisting that professions should be gendered. Generally, the plural form is female and the singular form is either male (historical terms and if it has to do with people) or neutral. That's true for “the knife/knives” (“das Messer/die Messer”) or “the car/the cars” (“das auto/die autos”) or “the moon/the moons” (“der Mond/die Monde”; incidentially, our moon is male and the sun is female unlike in the french and italian bro-culture). Likewise, “the engineer/the engineers” was “der Ingenieur/die Ingenieure”. Now “der Student” has become “der Student” (male) or “die Studentin” (female; but the plural “die Studenten” is still female of course) and it is not less gendered, but even more. If you want to address an unknown student, you must write the convoluted and unaesthetic "der/die StudetenIn” to show that it could be either a guy or gal. But now it is even more bi-gendered and of course that isn't right for the next wave of feminists, either and they are about to invent more exotic terms.

There are few cases where gender roles were really enshrined in professions, in historical professions like nurse (“die Krankenschwester” literally “Sister of the Ill-Person” [but “of the” in german denote various relationships and it doesn't mean the sister of the person]. comes via nuns who describe themselves as sisterhood like male monks who call themselves brotherhood, exploiting feelings for kin). But that one was replaced anyway so it works with the generic sheme (now “Krankenpfleger/in” literally “carer of the ill”).
The Bart, the.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote: The Bart, the.
I get the reference. Do I win a fiver?