Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by deLurch »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:It's mostly SJWs flipping out online, this is glorious.
Innocent people get killed in riots. You're being an asshole.
Can you think of anything that either you or James Caruthers can do that would avert this?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

AndrewV69 wrote:
feathers wrote:
Shatterface as Guest wrote:Just wondering who's side Peezus would be on if the cops shot a rape suspect.
White or black rape suspect?

Anyway, this would all have been less tragical if nobody had died. Perhaps the police should work on their non-lethal defence skills a bit more.

And on their aim. Wilson fired six shots? What the hell was he aiming for if the first five weren't enough to stop Brown?
Something tells me that someone has never fired a gun in a combat situation.

Just saying.
Does Call of Duty count?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

feathers wrote: Anyway, this would all have been less tragical if nobody had died. Perhaps the police should work on their non-lethal defence skills a bit more.
Something along the lines of: 'Prithee, good sir -- return me my gun, and you may keep the box of cigars you stole'?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

deLurch wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:It's mostly SJWs flipping out online, this is glorious.
Innocent people get killed in riots. You're being an asshole.
Can you think of anything that either you or James Caruthers can do that would avert this?
*blocked*

tee hee

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

bovarchist wrote:Which is why it's so odd that Brown's family is pushing for body cameras for all cops. I don't think they've realized that it will make it harder for black people to claim cop abuse in the future.
No. I think the Brown family's push is an excellent direction to go in.

I am assuming there is no video of the events that took happen right? At best we have what? Mixed conflicting eye witness testimony?

If cops are mandated to wear and use video cameras (outside of under cover work or when speaking with informants):

* Cops will be more cautious about abusive use of force and be less antagonistic & aggressive. Instead they will tend to be more professional.
* They will be more inclined to allow suspect to hang themselves with their own words & actions, instead of provoking something.
* Suspects will be less likely to pull shit when they know it is on camera.
* There will be a record of events that will significantly help in providing answers to families like the Browns. Right now the Browns suspect the story did not play out as stated by the police.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Jason finally attends his dream Con, a total justice warrior circle jerk with harassment policies like he's always wanted. Yet he's still singing about TAM from 3 years ago.

http://imgur.com/oyNNsqI.png

No, what was regarded as "just a joke" back then was excitable Jason turning a grope into murder.

http://imgur.com/2whp0sp.png

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Here's the link to Coyne's WEIT: http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... -miracles/

For those spoonless shitlords out there who can't enact the labour of clicking and scrolling, here is a direct link to Michael Nugent supporting rapists and harassers. You can tell he's one of those because of his shirt which is adorned with disgustingly sexist depictions of women that keep young girls from STEM fields red.

[youtube]XAMGWruGMXo[/youtube]

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

NoGodsEver wrote:Check out Jerry Coyne's article this morning about Michael Nugent. I love the last line of it. I wonder who he is taking a dig at there?
I think it's time the three remaining horsemen issued him an invitation....

Can you imagine the apoplexy in Morris?

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

bovarchist wrote:Which is why it's so odd that Brown's family is pushing for body cameras for all cops. I don't think they've realized that it will make it harder for black people to claim cop abuse in the future.
This is not at all true when "cop abuse" actually occurs - in those situations, the body cameras will make it easier to prove that abuse occurred.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

MacGruberKnows wrote:
Tapir wrote:http://i.imgur.com/kVimJgp.jpg

He really is a complete fuckwit.

Drowning in affected white guilt while the horde squeals for the banning of anyone who dares suggest the Ferguson shooting was anything other than a racist execution.
PZ is one with black people. He suffers with the black people. And I am sure when he passes the next black person in Morris, maybe in the next year or two, he will tell that black person how much he fears the Morris University police as they ride by him on their bikes looking for a lost cat.
PeeZus discovered he was black when he was around 7, IIRC.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Is there anyone here who can unpack this comment by Brony and tell me just what his point is?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... nt-1465968

Because for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

I expect the Pit to be better at recognizing irony.

I'm looking at you, deLurch, SkepticalCat...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

feathers wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Thanks, Screwy! Ever since my favourite UK TV torrent site closed, I've missed seeing things like this.
Do you miss them too? Somewhere out there, thousands of orphaned torrents yearn for a tracker :(

At least I got some of the Battlefield series in time. But my 2 TB credit are up in smoke.
28TB - I'd been on thebox since 2006 :-(

Still, I used to use it mainly for Mrs L. to get things like Downton Abbey and BBC drama stuff. That's easily gettable on TPB (and Demonoid reopened recently), but it's definitely tough getting cabrides, and all sorts of railway and aircraft stuff now. Someone posted a GIF image of the piston arrangement in a Deltic recently - II'm glad I still have my three-parter on Deltic locos...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Keating wrote:
guest wrote:Scientists at a gender equity in science conference (staying at the same Canberra hotel as Rebecca Watson) discover that divas make it difficult for room service.
At the risk of doxing myself…

Watson is in Canberra? That's where I live. I had no idea there were any vaguely atheist / sceptic events on this week though, and I usually try to keep abreast of stuff happening here.
Paul! Is that you?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

feathers wrote: Anyway, this would all have been less tragical if nobody had died. Perhaps the police should work on their non-lethal defence skills a bit more.

And on their aim. Wilson fired six shots? What the hell was he aiming for if the first five weren't enough to stop Brown?
I think standard training for police is that once the decision to use lethal force has been made, they should fire until their clip is empty or the attacker is completely prone. It would be nice if there were non-lethal methods that were as effective as bullets in stopping an enraged, possibly drugged, attacker. But there aren't, and the priority is given to protecting police in this situation.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Pitchguest wrote:Is there anyone here who can unpack this comment by Brony and tell me just what his point is?

"It's okay if we do it"

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

deLurch wrote:
No. I think the Brown family's push is an excellent direction to go in.

I am assuming there is no video of the events that took happen right? At best we have what? Mixed conflicting eye witness testimony?

If cops are mandated to wear and use video cameras (outside of under cover work or when speaking with informants):

* Cops will be more cautious about abusive use of force and be less antagonistic & aggressive. Instead they will tend to be more professional.
* They will be more inclined to allow suspect to hang themselves with their own words & actions, instead of provoking something.
* Suspects will be less likely to pull shit when they know it is on camera.
* There will be a record of events that will significantly help in providing answers to families like the Browns. Right now the Browns suspect the story did not play out as stated by the police.

Having lived in LA during the Rodney King riots I have to say it's my (cynical) opinion that there is a huge segment of the population for whom no amount of photographic evidence will hold any sway. I distinctly recall one 'man on the street' interviewer showing footage of the Reginald Denny attack to protesters on the street, asking them if they disavowed violent actions. One woman saw the footage, and - how I wish I were making this up - simply shook her head and stridently repeated "God don't make no junk" when the reporter asked her how she could not condemn the savage beating shown on film. Regardless of what did or didn't happen to King, what the hell could possibly justify this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_ ... nny#Attack ? Well, God don't make no junk!

I'll be happy if body cams help curb police overstepping/abusing their authority. The cams also would probably cut through a lot of red tape when it comes to post-incident investigations. Any maybe (I stress maybe) surviving families will have some of their doubts satisfied. But I hold no illusions that the sorts of persons currently setting things on fire would be the sort to stop and say "well, clearly the cop had no choice in this circumstance" upon reviewing a video.

Note the above makes zero reference to race/color. The ability to be willfully-ignorant in service of an agenda knows no racial bounds (e.g. fish-belly white P-Zed and his ilk).

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

SkepticalCat wrote:
This is not at all true when "cop abuse" actually occurs - in those situations, the body cameras will make it easier to prove that abuse occurred.
Brown's parents feel they have been wronged. They seem to actually trying to make things better. They are good people.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Random Lurker wrote:

Having lived in LA during the Rodney King riots I have to say it's my (cynical) opinion that there is a huge segment of the population for whom no amount of photographic evidence will hold any sway. I distinctly recall one 'man on the street' interviewer showing footage of the Reginald Denny attack to protesters on the street, asking them if they disavowed violent actions. One woman saw the footage, and - how I wish I were making this up - simply shook her head and stridently repeated "God don't make no junk" when the reporter asked her how she could not condemn the savage beating shown on film. Regardless of what did or didn't happen to King, what the hell could possibly justify this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_ ... nny#Attack ? Well, God don't make no junk!
Not surprisingly, Doug Stanhope has the answer...

[youtube]i9bv-ODPn7c[/youtube]

katamari Damassi

Pitchguest wrote:Is there anyone here who can unpack this comment by Brony and tell me just what his point is?

I won't give them clicks .

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

guest wrote:Scientists at a gender equity in science conference (staying at the same Canberra hotel as Rebecca Watson) discover that divas make it difficult for room service.

Good job, skeptic feminists. Show the world what matters.

https://www.anonimg.com/img/6ef3a120d79 ... d5c76d.png
Crap. That is real.
I guess Rebecca left quite an impression with the wait staff.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Aw fuck. This is going to be the Zimmerman debate all over again.

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:
SkepticalCat wrote:
Brown's parents feel they have been wronged. They seem to actually trying to make things better. They are good people.
I don't know if they are "good" or "bad". I agree that more cameras are great and this is perhaps a good outcome from this whole mess. More cameras...yes!

I agree that it will not matter to some people, but perhaps that number is small. Even if Wilson had a camera there would have been some who blamed him for the shooting.

The Brown family have not really helped in many ways. I have seen them on TV many times saying... "All we want is justice which means we expect Wilson to go to prison." For weeks they were saying this... and so was their fucking layer. Now they want calm... fuck. They had lots of opportunities to promote calm. Instead they continued to say that the only justice was in a prosecution. Damn the truth.

I think the Browns are just a bit ignorant and stupid. They are just pawns in this whole tragic ordeal.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:Something tells me that someone has never fired a gun in a combat situation.
Combat?!? An eigtheen-year-old versus a trained police officer is now combat? The heavens forbid that your army should ever have to go to war.

katamari Damassi

Tony Parsehole wrote:Aw fuck. This is going to be the Zimmerman debate all over again.
It shouldn't be. Martin was a guy walking home from the store when confronted by some dude with a Dirty Harry complex. The DA bungled that case because it let public pressure make it over reach with a murder 2 charge when it could've gotten a manslaughter conviction.

Brown was a violent thief who fought with an officer of the law. The only thing these cases share is the race factor.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Something along the lines of: 'Prithee, good sir -- return me my gun, and you may keep the box of cigars you stole'?
http://pixabay.com/static/uploads/photo ... 16_640.jpg

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

bovarchist wrote:
Random Lurker wrote:

Not surprisingly, Doug Stanhope has the answer...

[youtube]i9bv-ODPn7c[/youtube]
As does BIll Hicks

[youtube]mOgHL_wqZwc[/youtube]

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Aw fuck. This is going to be the Zimmerman debate all over again.
For heaven's sake, there's nothing wrong with electric guitar, can't people just let it go?

feathers

Post by feathers »

Inbetween them, AndrewV69, John D and Bovarchist argue that the police can neither manage to stay in possession of their firearms, nor reliably use them if they do, without killing their opponent.

Which seems a good argument why police should not be equipped with firearms.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

bovarchist wrote:
For heaven's sake, there's nothing wrong with electric guitar, can't people just let it go?
I ain't gonna work on Bovarchist's Farm no more, that's all I know.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

feathers wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Something tells me that someone has never fired a gun in a combat situation.
Combat?!? An eigtheen-year-old versus a trained police officer is now combat? The heavens forbid that your army should ever have to go to war.
I can't accept the unspoken premise that training and a uniform somehow makes one less than fully human. Uniform and training aside, I'm sure that Officer Wilson felt exactly the same way about being beaten about the head by a huge guy, wrestling for control of his weapon, and finally charging towards him head down that you, or I, or anyone, would feel. And yes, what I just described is fucking combat, without a doubt.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

katamari Damassi wrote:
It shouldn't be. Martin was a guy walking home from the store when confronted by some dude with a Dirty Harry complex. The DA bungled that case because it let public pressure make it over reach with a murder 2 charge when it could've gotten a manslaughter conviction.

Brown was a violent thief who fought with an officer of the law. The only thing these cases share is the race factor.
Well, not really...it's hard to make a case that Zimmerman murdered Martin when Martin stalked Zimmerman and pounded on him for over a minute before Zimmerman even attempted to draw his gun. Do me a favor, and look at your watch for a full minute. A long time to be pounded on.

That entire altercation took place for one single reason: because Martin wanted it to. If he was afraid of Zimmerman, all he had to do was go home. It was only 200 yards away, after all.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Kirbmarc wrote:PZ Myers and his ilk never trust the authorities as a policy. They don't report allegations of rape, they don't trust the justice system, they don't trust the ideas of "innocent until proven guilty" or of "freedom of speech".
Police are also the same bastards that would apprehend him if he felt like shanking a few Christians.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

So does anyone want to see my penis?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

feathers wrote:Inbetween them, AndrewV69, John D and Bovarchist argue that the police can neither manage to stay in possession of their firearms, nor reliably use them if they do, without killing their opponent.

I actually argued the opposite, that Officer Wilson did some tight shooting.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I may take everyone's silents as a yes.

Southern

Post by Southern »

jugheadnaut wrote:

I think standard training for police is that once the decision to use lethal force has been made, they should fire until their clip is empty or the attacker is completely prone. It would be nice if there were non-lethal methods that were as effective as bullets in stopping an enraged, possibly drugged, attacker. But there aren't, and the priority is given to protecting police in this situation.
Don't make the same mistake Bernie Blue did:

[youtube]vN1qpVheIDs[/youtube]

feathers

Post by feathers »

bovarchist wrote:
feathers wrote:Inbetween them, AndrewV69, John D and Bovarchist argue that the police can neither manage to stay in possession of their firearms, nor reliably use them if they do, without killing their opponent.

That implies he meant to kill, rather than maim by shooting in the arm or leg. Ok.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Brive1987 wrote:
Keating wrote:
At the risk of doxing myself…

Watson is in Canberra? That's where I live. I had no idea there were any vaguely atheist / sceptic events on this week though, and I usually try to keep abreast of stuff happening here.
It's oddly quaint seeing Watson bag Canberra, like she's discovered some new truth.

:mrgreen:
Watson's here. Shut down the bar early. We don't want a repeat.

Southern

Post by Southern »

That should be telling of American society, don't you think?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

[youtube]4Wb2nZR6qbE[/youtube]

Southern

Post by Southern »

feathers wrote:
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and ...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tribble wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Darren Wilson not being charged with anything for killing Michael Brown.

I'm curious, did you listen to the live-stream press conference where the DA went over the whole case? (This is not an indictment or assumption of any position you may or may not have.)

The problem with 'poor Dan Brown' we're going to be getting over the next few days (riots, lootings, etc.) is that the evidence showed Wilson's story to be correct and that the 'TV witnesses' were problematic. Some of them never saw what happened and just repeated rumors. Many of them changed their stories multiple times. Some just made shit up. Only a few witnesses had consistent stories that were corroborated by the physical evidence at the scene. And they weren't the 'TV witnesses.'

Add in the usual provocateurs that exploit stuff like this. And the shit-stains that use events like this to misbehave... Well, St. Louis is going to be having troubles the next few days.

As for the verdict, the DA has released all the evidence. For those Sherlocks who think they're smarter than the 12 jurors who took in hundreds of hours of testimony and saw all the evidence, have at it.

Or, we can just read what PZ Myers has to say about it and preach the gospel of 'Poor Dan Brown -- Gunned Down by the Evil White Patriarchy." I'm sure a scientist of his enormous cross-field capabilities can tell us everything we need to know.
Yes, I did listen to it all. I wasn't trying to provide a summary of the statement made by the DA, however, just a bare statement that there would be no indictment.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

comhcinc wrote:All the reports about the incident that I heard seem to suggest there the police may have acted in a way that was illegal. There has been a lot of racial tension in the area. A Grand Jury info is kept secret until after the fact.

Taking all that into account if I would have been on that grand jury I was have voted to take the case to trial no matter what the evidence showed. Let the facts be put out there for everyone to see and hopefully that would reveal some of the tension.
But does the police officer deserve that? If the evidence doesn't support misconduct, he should not be put through the tortures of a trial. That would be unjust.

And now all of the information can be released to the public.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote:I predicted that there would be some damage in Furgeson last night, but it was even worse than I thought it would be. My future son-in-law (who is black) thought that there would only be peaceful protests since so much time had passed since the incident. We were both distressed by how crazy it got.

Two Points:

1) I think that there is a need for a "conversation" on blacks and policing. But... the conversation has to be framed as this: What actions must we take to provide blacks the opportunity to embrace the idea that they need to be policed. American black culture is rooted in the idea that blacks do not need to be policed... and that all the problems blacks face are caused by non-blacks.

2) When the cop cars started burning my future-son-in-law says "Hey... you can't show up for a protest with lighter fluid and not use it!" Haha... tragic and funny at the same time.

What to do now... I have no idea.
The people were probably pissed that the DA wasn't dressed properly when he made his statement.

katamari Damassi

bovarchist wrote: Well, not really...it's hard to make a case that Zimmerman murdered Martin when Martin stalked Zimmerman and pounded on him for over a minute before Zimmerman even attempted to draw his gun. Do me a favor, and look at your watch for a full minute. A long time to be pounded on.

That entire altercation took place for one single reason: because Martin wanted it to. If he was afraid of Zimmerman, all he had to do was go home. It was only 200 yards away, after all.
Are you sure you got the stalking order right? Zimmerman trailed in his car, a guy walking by himself at night. He provoked an altercation. IIRC there were jurors who said they would've convicted on a lesser count if given the option.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:
comhcinc wrote:All the reports about the incident that I heard seem to suggest there the police may have acted in a way that was illegal. There has been a lot of racial tension in the area. A Grand Jury info is kept secret until after the fact.

Taking all that into account if I would have been on that grand jury I was have voted to take the case to trial no matter what the evidence showed. Let the facts be put out there for everyone to see and hopefully that would reveal some of the tension.
But does the police officer deserve that? If the evidence doesn't support misconduct, he should not be put through the tortures of a trial. That would be unjust.

And now all of the information can be released to the public.
it would be incredibly unfair to him. I agree with that. Life can't always be fair and in this case knowing everything we know I think it would have been best for the community. I don't think it would have stopped all the violence, but I think it would have stopped a good amount of it.

Now back to my penis.........

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Snapshot:
https://archive.today/jfkkE

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

The ability of some folks to take the claims of one side of a dispute as The Truth while ignoring that others have made conflicting claims is almost FtBian. I think I'll take a break.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

bovarchist wrote:
No, he means that USA is going to war again with the Krauts.

John D

Post by John D »

I agree... one argument for cops not having guns is that they can be used against them. Of course, there are some valid reasons why cops should have guns. I suspect they are better off with them than not... but that is a typical response from a Merican.

John D

Post by John D »

Michael Brown used physical force to steal from a store, walked down the middle of the street, disobeyed a legal order from a cop, assaulted a cop, and got killed as a result of his actions. But... I refuse to call him a thug because that would be racist.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Lol. Over on Pizzle's Ferguson thread, jamesrussellthe3rd actually suckered in the geniuses over there with the Navy SEAL copypasta. He also offered to fight them because he's a 5th Dan in Tae Bo, and not a one of those brilliant souls picked up on that either. Of course, he got banned, so the original comments are gone, but the responses are still there.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

didymos wrote:Lol. Over on Pizzle's Ferguson thread, jamesrussellthe3rd actually suckered in the geniuses over there with the Navy SEAL copypasta. He also offered to fight them because he's a 5th Dan in Tae Bo, and not a one of those brilliant souls picked up on that either. Of course, he got banned, so the original comments are gone, but the responses are still there.
"James Russell". HAHAHAHAHA!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

The number of times I have seen the Range Officer tear a strip off of someone who quite often turns out to be a Police Officer for careless handling of his firearm has to be seen to be believed.

So you might have a point there.

(Only thing is I have never seen any stats on the subject ... just my experience which may or may not be indicative of the whole.)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
didymos wrote:Lol. Over on Pizzle's Ferguson thread, jamesrussellthe3rd actually suckered in the geniuses over there with the Navy SEAL copypasta. He also offered to fight them because he's a 5th Dan in Tae Bo, and not a one of those brilliant souls picked up on that either. Of course, he got banned, so the original comments are gone, but the responses are still there.
"James Russell". HAHAHAHAHA!
Well spotted. Missed that one, mesel'...

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

feathers wrote:
bovarchist wrote:

That implies he meant to kill, rather than maim by shooting in the arm or leg. Ok.
Son, if you don't mean to kill, a gun is the wrong weapon to use.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

deLurch wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: It's oddly quaint seeing Watson bag Canberra, like she's discovered some new truth.

:mrgreen:
Watson's here. Shut down the bar early. We don't want a repeat.
And to top it off, the elevator was out of order.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »