Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by deLurch »

Za-zen wrote:Seriously it's the fucking pyt and I'm the only one to have mentioned the fappening. Saw blogosphere is about to go into meltdown
Just noticed it. I think calling it The Fappening is hilarious. But there are very few names on the list that I recognize. A search on google shows a shitload of articles & blogs on the subject.

Whomever did that had better have proxied up to all hell, because it appears that the Feds are on the case. The persona allegedly tried to extort money. Give the sheer number of accounts hacked into, I bet this person got sloppy & gets nailed.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:The other problem with the atheist/skeptical movement is that they set their sights too high. I, for one, have only one mission: to get people to spell PZ's last name correctly.
PZ Meyers, from FfTB? Who's been spelling the cunt's name wrong? Tell me, and I'll be on them like white on rice. That guy is a fucking inspiration to me, and thousands like me. To go around spelling Meyers's name incorrectly - deliberately or not - would be like a physical wound to me. I will hunt them, and I will find them, and I will kill them.
Yes - we'll paint a hot dog...I mean zebrafish...on their driveways!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Tribble wrote:
Old_ones wrote:If you've got some time to kill Sargon of Akkad has a lengthy commentary on some of the "gaming is dead" articles in the gaming press.

[youtube]N_K13iEWQfY[/youtube]

Which was good for me because the last thing I want to do is give these Y. pestis carrying assfleas a hit for writing this drivel. My "favorite" passage comes up at around 45min. Sargon is reading and discussing a reviewer's list of rules for making better games and entry number 11 is "We stop upholding 'fun' as the universal, ultimate criterion of a game's relevance". The reviewer goes on to dismiss fun as "a neurological trick".

I wonder what the actual game developers are thinking about all of this shit.
Well, that was awesome.
(haven't seen the video, but ablut fun...)

Old school game designer Raph Koster wrote “A Theory of Fun” which asserts that fun is the feeling when the brain understands something, i.e. when a model/system makes sense and you “get it”.

While there is no agreed definition of what exactly is a game, there is generally a distinction between play and game. Play is meant as “playing around” within a system (which can be the “big sandbox” — the physical reality itself), whereas “a game” requires a goal/winning condition that must be achieved using the rules of the system. The condition is an achieveable state of the system.

Games require a deeper understanding of the system because the manipulator/player must be able to manipulate the system in such a way that a defined desired state (winning condition) is achieved. Subgoals (states between starting and winning condition) are added as discrete steps, where the manipulator/player feels extra rewarded for “getting it” but the fun is ideally poured out all the time. Fun is also different, but related to “flow”. I guess the so-called flow tunnel is like a conductor that makes fun possible, i.e. when player's understanding of the system and the system align (the players mental representation of the system is accurate, or congruent to the game system), yet achieving the goal is neither too simple (boredom) nor too difficult (anxiety).

As you can see, play and game are not a dichotomy. Someone who is playing can make up their own goals any time (assume possible states of the system, then setting them as goals) and try to achieve them.

It's possible to e.g. make a game that is not fun (i.e. learning and understanding the system is not fun, dreary, repetitive etc.) but the content is — like the story it tells. One of these systems has a very long history and it's called a “book”. In this game, the narrative is divided into what's called “pages”. Understanding how they work is fairly trivial, and it gets boring quickly to flip pages, using fairly primitive mechanics and e.g. one's thumb or index finger. But the content can be entertaining and immerive in many different ways.

There is another popular game there is a controllable little circle that sits on a red track. The circle starts on the left side and progresses toward the right, but you can manually move it to any position. You can play around with it as you want. The goal state is the most right position. It's also boring to manipulate this system, for reasons that are obvious. The rules of the game are again too trivial. However it has utility as the circle indicates a position within a video, which is interesting. Ideally, you don't want to “scrub” at all (this is a special move in this game).

As you see, “games” are understood to be specific systems, otherwise virtually anything can be seen as a game. I'm all for exploring and doing interesting things (e.g. Rohrer's Passage) however there is the danger of obscuring vocabulary and, I suspect, exploit a popularity of some label or defend what a buddy-with-benefits is doing. Gaming “journalists” (these are scare quotes this time) ought to have a better grip on their medium.

austin

Post by austin »

I still think secularism and atheism are growing overall in the US, probably not as fast as some people think, but still growing. Part of the problem is that organizations like JREF and American Atheists for better or worse have to cave to politically correct forces to stay in business. If you are a prominent atheist writer like Sam Harris with a blog, or a YouTube blogger, you don't have any organization, so these factors don't come into play. I think were partly seeing a splintering of atheism and secularism to a diverse set of voices due to the internet, which in a way good, because it's harder to shun a collection of individual voices than organizations. The downside of course, is that there are less collections of large organized groups of atheists and skeptics than there once was, so there is less cohesion. These are probably some of the primary reasons for revenue declines in JREF. Maybe a better model sometime in the future is for collections of atheist/skeptics to get together not associated with particular organizations so they can't be contaminated with this political correctness. There would be no organization to target, so you couldn't put pressure on someone to fire. Maybe something like that will evolve over time. Then SJWs can go off and do their own thing, and people can get together and meet without having to constantly be concerned about the politically correct BS. Perhaps something like an atheist burning man meeting.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

austin wrote:Another point that is always missed. Everyone has latent violent tendencies and sexual frustrations and anxieties that have to be vented from time to time. Better to do this through video games and watching sports like the NFL than real life. The Romans did this with gladiator games in the distant past. I'll bet that video games and sports and other type activities actually greatly decrease actual inappropriate sex acts and violence that would occur, if these outlets didn't exist. These things calm the beast sort of speak.
Like most fiction, books, comic books, music, movies, it medium allows you to observe & play out different life choices and think about them.

There are plenty of bank heists & murders in all sorts of mediums. But it just doesn't turn people into these types of animals.

austin

Post by austin »

deLurch wrote:
austin wrote:Another point that is always missed. Everyone has latent violent tendencies and sexual frustrations and anxieties that have to be vented from time to time. Better to do this through video games and watching sports like the NFL than real life. The Romans did this with gladiator games in the distant past. I'll bet that video games and sports and other type activities actually greatly decrease actual inappropriate sex acts and violence that would occur, if these outlets didn't exist. These things calm the beast sort of speak.
Like most fiction, books, comic books, music, movies, it medium allows you to observe & play out different life choices and think about them.

There are plenty of bank heists & murders in all sorts of mediums. But it just doesn't turn people into these types of animals.
If we lived in the dominant misogynistic rape culture proclaimed by the SJWs, wouldn't you predict to see an Elliot Rodger or equivalent every other day popping up, radicalized by cultural misogyny, like jihadists. Or am I missing something.

sinister

Post by sinister »

austin wrote:
deLurch wrote:

If we lived in the dominant misogynistic rape culture proclaimed by the SJWs, wouldn't you predict to see an Elliot Rodger or equivalent every other day popping up, radicalized by cultural misogyny, like jihadists. Or am I missing something.
Since the Patriarchy theory is unfalsifiable I'm sure somehow it's responsible for this lack of violence.as well. Probably something about state sponsored violence I'd guess.

didymos

Post by didymos »

sinister wrote:
didymos wrote:Also, this totally happened:
That must be an immaculate shared space, all my roommates ever got upset about were others messes when women were going to visit.
If it did happen, I guarantee it was actually like this:

Roommate: *Sees her twitter feed on her laptop while walking by*

Roommate: "Femfreq? What do you follow her for?"

Anitafan: "I like her videos."

Roommate: "Really? Well, whatever I guess. I think she sucks." *leaves room*

Anitafan: *fumes, feels oppressed*

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Really? wrote:Just for the record, I am opposed to the Fappening on privacy grounds. These men and women should not have had their property stolen and shared.
Me, too, but I still went and looked. Then I mentioned to my daughter (who loves the Hunger Games) that there are naked pics of JLaw on the web and used this to have another conversation about "inappropro selfies" with her iPhone.
Yup. Let's count the ways that those photos are vulnerable.

* Lost or stolen cellphone can always be owned once it is in someone's possession.
* Shared photos, especially to an immature teen is often too much of a temptation to share. Girls talk about guys all the time. Don't expect guys to not do the same.
* When shared photos to an ex suddenly turns into a bitter break up, there is always the risk of publishing photos for revenge. No matter, how much you love and respect your current SO, everyone should be aware that some people just turn into completely bitter caustic psychopaths when relationships go south.
* Broken tech sent in for repairs? Now the person who did the repairs has access to all of your photos to share with his or her coworkers. It happens far too often.
* Storing the data in a cloud? When you have large services, you have a large number of admins who have access to all of that information. Most are ethical. But not every single one.
* Phone company, Apple all now have copies of your info.
* Cops have automated devices when can bypass security & download all of your information. Cops can also be dicks & share your photos.
* Wireless connection? That data can often be sniffed & reassembled.
* Computers can be hacked with viruses & trojans.

And all of the risks above apply to anyone you share those photos with. And are they going to be as cautious?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:pps. "don't tell women not to take naked selfies; teach men not to hack iPhones and clouds"
Is it confirmed that all of those celebs had iPhones?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Badger3k wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:The other problem with the atheist/skeptical movement is that they set their sights too high. I, for one, have only one mission: to get people to spell PZ's last name correctly.
PZ Meyers, from FfTB? Who's been spelling the cunt's name wrong? Tell me, and I'll be on them like white on rice. That guy is a fucking inspiration to me, and thousands like me. To go around spelling Meyers's name incorrectly - deliberately or not - would be like a physical wound to me. I will hunt them, and I will find them, and I will kill them.
Yes - we'll paint a hot dog...I mean zebrafish...on their driveways!
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

sinister

Post by sinister »

didymos wrote:
sinister wrote:
didymos wrote:Also, this totally happened:
That must be an immaculate shared space, all my roommates ever got upset about were others messes when women were going to visit.
If it did happen, I guarantee it was actually like this:

Roommate: *Sees her twitter feed on her laptop while walking by*

Roommate: "Femfreq? What do you follow her for?"

Anitafan: "I like her videos."

Roommate: "Really? Well, whatever I guess. I think she sucks." *leaves room*

Anitafan: *fumes, feels oppressed*

Now that I think about it, maybe she calls her dad her roommate out of embarrassment.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Aneris:
I think I can understand where you're coming from, but we already have the "games" (read: distractions) they're after. They're called movies. Or books. Or in a pinch, e-Books. Obviously the term "game" is up for debate. And its meaning for one person, might be completely different for another.

Video games as they are right now however, are measured in how fun they are. If a game is not "fun", the publisher or developer might get a second look the second time. It's not about them wanting to expand games to include "exploration of ideas", it's that they want to completely halt all games that don't meet their snobbish standards, citing "Misogyny" for reasons why series like Hitman, GTA (and by extension Saint's Row), and all those other games Sarkeesian points out and shouts FOUL! over. They're seeing misogyny where others would see mild gameplay. I do however find it hilarious that the one place there is both equal opportunity and equality of outcome, in Saint's Row 4 for example there are both men and women that can be killed, is where they want to back track. It makes me wonder if they realize that the bitching and moaning in the 90s about needing more female characters in games brought us to where we are now in video games.

If they wanted to merely make their own games I'm fine with that. I wouldn't buy them, as I'm not interested in them. And if they were to wrestle creative control from all of the developers & publishers, I would cease buying new games. Were the SJL also able to remove all games previously made I'd likely stop buying games altogether. As Southern pointed out, and I in my short-sightedness failed to realize until after he pointed it out, there are plenty of games out there to play, so that if they did halt all games that didn't meet their standards, there would still be plenty to play.

TLDR: I don't care if they make their own games, I won't buy them when I'm not interested, but I won't prevent them from being made. I am however angry when "they" appoint "themselves" as sole arbiter of what makes a game. I do get angry when THEY prevent games I find fun from being made. Which is their true goal, unless I'm completely mistaken. "GamerGate" more about a bid for control, than about acceptance.

sinister

Post by sinister »

The problem as I see it is the neopuritan attitude that the art of making a video game now must meet certain criteria before it's acceptable to exhibit. They won't create their own art of course, the artists are all expected to do that for them. It's completely totalitarian, and frankly disgusting.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Seriously it's the fucking pyt and I'm the only one to have mentioned the fappening. Saw blogosphere is about to go into meltdown
Just noticed it. I think calling it The Fappening is hilarious. But there are very few names on the list that I recognize. A search on google shows a shitload of articles & blogs on the subject.

Whomever did that had better have proxied up to all hell, because it appears that the Feds are on the case. The persona allegedly tried to extort money. Give the sheer number of accounts hacked into, I bet this person got sloppy & gets nailed.
Would the women get nailed and then get sloppy?

sinister

Post by sinister »

Have there been any major articles critiquing Sarkys videos? I mean an elementary knowledge of games.would quickly show her rhetoric to be hollow, and videos less than garbage without citations,and devoid of facts. All I see is the crying about trolling and her bravery.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

sinister wrote:Have there been any major articles critiquing Sarkys videos? I mean an elementary knowledge of games.would quickly show her rhetoric to be hollow, and videos less than garbage without citations,and devoid of facts. All I see is the crying about trolling and her bravery.
IANAGamer, but the videos of hers I've watched could come straight from any FOX News report about the evil leftness of computer games. Sure, it is possible in some games to kick woman to death and then continue kicking her corpse. But it is also possible (and, often, required), to kick a man to death, then continue kicking his corpse.

I believe that FOX News actually take a more sustainable argument than Sarkeesian when it comes to computer games; they highlight the violence which is necessary to progress in many games, while she highlights the violence which is possible, though not necessary. She also highlights the unnecessary violence only as it is done to female characters, ignoring the millions more male characters which have suffered unnecessary violence throughout the years. It is absolute bullshit; like trying to argue that white Irish men are the most historicaly persecuted group of people in American history, while ignoring black African women. You cannot just deliberately exclude massive data sets from your argument, and expect people to take your conclusions seriously.

didymos

Post by didymos »

So, the Naynay troll account has returned:

https://twitter.com/NayWasStopped

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

sinister:
That IS what her videos are about. How do you expect her to know anything about a form of entertainment she couldn't give two shits about?
[youtube]FW-69xXD734[/youtube]
Besides critiquing her video would be misogyny, that's CLEARLY the root of this problem after all.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Aneris wrote:
(haven't seen the video, but ablut fun...)

Old school game designer Raph Koster wrote “A Theory of Fun” which asserts that fun is the feeling when the brain understands something, i.e. when a model/system makes sense and you “get it”.

While there is no agreed definition of what exactly is a game, there is generally a distinction between play and game. Play is meant as “playing around” within a system (which can be the “big sandbox” — the physical reality itself), whereas “a game” requires a goal/winning condition that must be achieved using the rules of the system. The condition is an achieveable state of the system.

Games require a deeper understanding of the system because the manipulator/player must be able to manipulate the system in such a way that a defined desired state (winning condition) is achieved. Subgoals (states between starting and winning condition) are added as discrete steps, where the manipulator/player feels extra rewarded for “getting it” but the fun is ideally poured out all the time. Fun is also different, but related to “flow”. I guess the so-called flow tunnel is like a conductor that makes fun possible, i.e. when player's understanding of the system and the system align (the players mental representation of the system is accurate, or congruent to the game system), yet achieving the goal is neither too simple (boredom) nor too difficult (anxiety).

As you can see, play and game are not a dichotomy. Someone who is playing can make up their own goals any time (assume possible states of the system, then setting them as goals) and try to achieve them.

It's possible to e.g. make a game that is not fun (i.e. learning and understanding the system is not fun, dreary, repetitive etc.) but the content is — like the story it tells. One of these systems has a very long history and it's called a “book”. In this game, the narrative is divided into what's called “pages”. Understanding how they work is fairly trivial, and it gets boring quickly to flip pages, using fairly primitive mechanics and e.g. one's thumb or index finger. But the content can be entertaining and immerive in many different ways.

There is another popular game there is a controllable little circle that sits on a red track. The circle starts on the left side and progresses toward the right, but you can manually move it to any position. You can play around with it as you want. The goal state is the most right position. It's also boring to manipulate this system, for reasons that are obvious. The rules of the game are again too trivial. However it has utility as the circle indicates a position within a video, which is interesting. Ideally, you don't want to “scrub” at all (this is a special move in this game).

As you see, “games” are understood to be specific systems, otherwise virtually anything can be seen as a game. I'm all for exploring and doing interesting things (e.g. Rohrer's Passage) however there is the danger of obscuring vocabulary and, I suspect, exploit a popularity of some label or defend what a buddy-with-benefits is doing. Gaming “journalists” (these are scare quotes this time) ought to have a better grip on their medium.
I can follow what you are saying about the origins of fun, but I'm not exactly sure what point you were trying to make. I wouldn't ever argue that all games have to be fun in the same way or that game developers shouldn't explore, an try to find novel ways to make interesting games. I probably shouldn't have reproduced that quote without full context, because I may have obscured what I found ridiculous about it. Here is all of rule number 11 for making better games according to some insane blowhard who writes for gamasutra.
Devin Wilson of Gamasutra wrote: 11. We stop upholding "fun" as the universal, ultimate criterion of a game's relevance
Its a meaningless ideal at best and a poisonous priority at worst. Fun is a neurological trick. Plenty of catagorically unhealthy things are "fun". Lets try for something more. Many of the alternatives will have similarly fuzzy definitions, but lets aspire to qualities like "edifying", "healing", "pro-social", or even "enlightening". I encourage you to decide upon your own alternatives to "fun" in games (while avoiding terms like "cool" and "awesome" and any other word that simply caters to existing unexamined biases).
I'm pretty sure the gaming industry isn't qualified to make an "enlightening" game although it might be funny to see them try. But the basic idea that I get from that quote is that games should stop being simply enjoyable and start being self important and boring. I'm not sure he knows what he is talking about when he describes fun as a "neurological trick" and it was definitely incidental to the point he was making.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

HoneyWagon wrote:
Read the comments before they are deleted, as some have been already
Yeah, lots of speculation. As far as I am concerned, unless someone provides evidence that this move isn't for cost savings measures, then I will take it as is. The most informative factual comment on that thread is this:
Claire Knowlton wrote:Anyone who has inspected their recent 990 federal returns (open to the public at guidestar.org) can see the JREF has experienced significant decreases in contributions: from contributions of $675k in 2011, to $480k in 2012, down to $325k in 2013. That's a trend that raises concerns about the organization's ability to continue, and I am glad to see the board addressing this through leadership change.
I don't see how they could not change leadership with their funding cut in half since 2011. Maybe several non-profits are in the same boat, but I bet it has a lot to do with how it has been managed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._J._Grot ... ood_Reason
On December 7, 2009, Grothe was appointed President of the James Randi Educational Foundation, replacing astronomer and blogger Phil Plait.[16] He assumed the post on January 1, 2010.

I would be curious to look at the 990 forms from 2007 to 2013 to see if DJ Grothe was just not effective as the JREF leader.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

austin wrote:
HoneyWagon wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:I'm too new to all this. What's the deal with DJ Grothe? SJW? Anti-SJW? Actually fucking skeptic who can't deal with the ongoing bullshit?
The SJW hate him. Skepchicks boycotted TAM because they hate him. They HAD been friends, but decided he was an enemy.
Certainly smells like a SJW political move. Otherwise why wouldn't they give DJ Grothe another lesser job. Besides the fact that Randi isn't going to be around forever. Also the stuff about don't post comments - why????

Certainly has the marks of a political axe move. Hopefully we'll find out the story behind the story. We'll see how much the SJWs celebrate.
Mr. Randi is getting much older and just can pull of the media appearances he once did. What the foundation really needs is another charismatic person who can delight audiences with both their presentation & intelligence. What they really need is another James Randi. Their funding is mostly based on him.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

acathode wrote:If I were to wager a guess, it'd be that the decline in income come mostly from the whole skepticism/humanism/atheism movement loosing a lot of it's steam and tapering off. At least it seems to be that the whole "movement" is losing most of the momentum it had a few years ago.

Some of that can probably be attributed to PZ and his merry band of batshit SJWs, but I'd say it's a whole lot more to do with creationists having been mostly "defeated" and "the 4 horsemen" not being able to keep the interest up, a lot due to the most interesting and entertaining horseman dying on us. Listening to Dillahunty-ish stock refutations for the 1467th time of stock creationist and fundamentalist arguments just isn't all that fun after 5+ years of the same old shit. Hell, if it wasn't for the constant entertainment from the SJWs, I'd probably have forgotten about "the atheist" and "the skeptics" years ago...
Atheism/Skepticism does seem to be winding down a bit since the middle of last decade. I remember discovering the youtube atheist community around 2008; at the time it was fairly vibrant with a lot of people making videos debunking creationists and theologians. These days there are a few channels that still do that, but a lot of the people who were active back then have gone silent, and fewer people have replaced them. It feels like a different place, and I'm pretty sure PZ had little or nothing to do with that, aside from giving them a new topic to discuss (e.g. social justice shenanigans).

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
sinister wrote: Well the unfollow seems telling as she is a previous "enemy". Melody Hensley liking it would seem to be SJW approval, but who knows. It's honestly all gut reaction from me.

I agree about the smartest kids in the room and stealthing. I just see this as inevitable outcome of playing dumb about the state on online atheism happenings. I should honestly wait to comment more.
It seems DJGrothe's twitter has gone fairly firmly anti-SJW ... far more so than I ever recollect seeing from him
As in, since the announcement? Or before that?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Badger3k wrote:want to bet we hear about how we are crying rage tears or some shit? If the fucked DJ over the internet butthurt contest, that's pathetic. You might be right and it's about what a major donor wants and they decide to kowtow to them. But the JREF was pretty much the only skeptical organization in America. CFI has turned into a political correctness hack job and a haven for pathetic losers who can't hold jobs anywhere else. Hoepfully the best case scenario is the the JREF stays completely out of the rage bloggers and white-knighting, but we'll see.
Minor point, but what kind of impact has JREF really made in the past few years? Yes, they have the famous $1 million dollar challenge. And they have their annual conference which is probably good for networking. But what kind of work have they been doing that raises significant awareness of scams and fraudsters beyond the whole small inner skeptic circle jerk? I think we all know bigfoot isn't real anymore.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Old_ones wrote:Here is an interesting bit from Peezus' post on JREF
peezus wrote:Here’s one obvious reason:
JREF Revenue: 2011: $1.56M, 2012: $1.29M, 2013: $887.5K.

— Jim Lippard (@lippard) September 1, 2014
They’re down to 60% of their 2011 revenue. That’s a good reason to change directions.
I can't help wondering how much of that effect is Peezus himself and his tribe of assholes constantly inveighing against JREF and skepticism in general, and trying to scare women away from going to TAM.
You can't spend money you don't have. The axe had to come down somewhere.

austin

Post by austin »

This is what Anita Sarkeesian said way back when she was starting her project in an interview. Note that this is all pure mythology, there is no evidence that video games translate to any social attitudes or behaviors outside the game environment.

But on an artistic level, imagine if a Sarkeesian had been whispering in the ear of Michelangelo, we'd have a David with a cloth around his ass, or George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, we'd be left with a dreadfully dull book with no battles, actions or character conflicts worth caring about, basically it would have to be edited down to nothing. I'm not saying that all the action has to have sex and violence, but the landscape of Westeros would be pretty meaningless without this context.

She's really not any different than Pat Robertson ( in her attitudes about how video games effect people. All I can say to her claims is evidence, evidence, evidence. Like creationists, she doesn't need any. The rest of the interview is dreadful in her almost total self absorbing narcissism, not that much different than Sarah Palin.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/from-s ... 0-6382189/

"I think part of the misunderstanding comes from a misperception about how culture works. It's not a direct cause-and-effect situation where everybody just mindlessly copies the behaviors they see in the media. That said, media stories do have a profound effect on us, especially when messages, myths, and images are repeated over and over again. This is the reason why I choose to step back and look at the overarching patterns of how women are represented in video games over time. Because it's this collective repetition that can seep into our minds and shape, perpetuate, and amplify harmful or regressive perceptions of women.

To put it another way, popular culture is like the air we all breathe. It's in everyone's interests to make sure that air is not polluted with poisonous sexism so that we don't all end up with hideous misogynist mutations growing out of the back of our collective heads."

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:True dat. For all that we mock him, it cannot be denied that Meyers has a relatively large reach. Was it TAM where they mocked a woman for wearing (what they believed to be) the same t-shirt for three consecutive days? Comments about the (imagined, as they weren't there) smell, etc. Nice people.
I've done that before while volunteering. Non-profits are not made of money & I am not going to launder a single t-shirt every day. I just wear a t-shirt under their official shirt.

didymos

Post by didymos »

LOL:

Post by Guest »

Imagine you are in bar. You are approached by a large group of guys, and they begin threatening you. All of them. You try to avoid them at first, ignoring their comments, but slowly they edge closer. Everyone just sits by and watches them. They keep throwing threats that they'll kill you, that they'll beat the shit out of you, they'll stick knives up your arse and that they'll cut your balls off and feed them to you. Nobody else in the bar does anything, they just sit and watch as if this was a normal occurrence in the bar. You escape out a back door and head back to your home. You start to receive phone calls from the people at the bar, threats continuing. What would you do?

That is the equivalent of what is happening to Sarkeesian. It does not matter that it is on the internet.
This is the dumbest ******** thing I have ever read. It doesn't merit any response.
Fine. Explain to me why it is dumb and why the internet is different from real life.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA oh god, these people are fucking ridiculous. How fucking sheltered do you have to be to think this is an accurate or realistic analogy? Only someone who has never experienced this sort of thing in real life would make such a retarded fucking comparison. Reminds me of tumblrites whining that words are violence. No, you dumb ignorant cunts, violence is violence. If you had ever experienced it, believe me, you would know and understand the difference. These are the sorts of idiots who have no problem believing you can get PTSD from internet trolls. The mind boggles. And this shit stood unchallenged by everyone else.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Lsuoma wrote:
deLurch wrote:

Would the women get nailed and then get sloppy?
Given the leaks, that has already occurred.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

I have tried, but I am unable to find a stable source with phtos of naked celebrity chicks hacked from their phones. I saw some when they first came out and was intrigued, I must admit.

Does anyone have a link to somewhere they are unlikely to be taken down from? I am unable to find them through what I consider pretty thorough searches using Bing, etc. It seems that their publicists have flooded search results with approved photos, the spoilsports.

Yep, that's all I have: please provide links to photographs of specific naked women. Thank you. I have no shame or sense of personal pride.

:hankey:

didymos

Post by didymos »

Yeah, this coinage is gonna take off:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I believe that FOX News actually take a more sustainable argument than Sarkeesian when it comes to computer games; they highlight the violence which is necessary to progress in many games, while she highlights the violence which is possible, though not necessary. She also highlights the unnecessary violence only as it is done to female characters, ignoring the millions more male characters which have suffered unnecessary violence throughout the years. It is absolute bullshit; like trying to argue that white Irish men are the most historicaly persecuted group of people in American history, while ignoring black African women. You cannot just deliberately exclude massive data sets from your argument, and expect people to take your conclusions seriously.
And on the flip side of Fox news, would you tell an author that they need to exclude unnecessary violence in their books? That is a wholly restrictive boundary on their creative process. What if Stephen King (I don't like this books, but many people do) had to analyze his creative efforts under such a light.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

deLurch wrote:
sinister wrote: Well the unfollow seems telling as she is a previous "enemy". Melody Hensley liking it would seem to be SJW approval, but who knows. It's honestly all gut reaction from me.

I agree about the smartest kids in the room and stealthing. I just see this as inevitable outcome of playing dumb about the state on online atheism happenings. I should honestly wait to comment more.
It seems DJGrothe's twitter has gone fairly firmly anti-SJW ... far more so than I ever recollect seeing from him
Well his last post was about when I read the announcement ... retweets of C H Sommers, and of very anti-'radfem' tweets

So maybe he can now "speak" freely, or maybe I just read his stream wrongly, or maybe just coincidence

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I have tried, but I am unable to find a stable source with phtos of naked celebrity chicks hacked from their phones. I saw some when they first came out and was intrigued, I must admit.

Does anyone have a link to somewhere they are unlikely to be taken down from? I am unable to find them through what I consider pretty thorough searches using Bing, etc. It seems that their publicists have flooded search results with approved photos, the spoilsports.

Yep, that's all I have: please provide links to photographs of specific naked women. Thank you. I have no shame or sense of personal pride.
If you really want them, just search the pirate bay for The Fappening. As far as I am concerned, it really isn't worth the effort, but your mileage may vary.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I have tried, but I am unable to find a stable source with phtos of naked celebrity chicks hacked from their phones. I saw some when they first came out and was intrigued, I must admit.

I looked at Pirate Bay, and the top torrent had something like 20,000 seeders.

austin

Post by austin »

It never ends - didn't notice but now Bugs Bunny and the old classic WB cartoons are now officially revised to be branded racist and sexist by the SJWs, no different than watching Nazi propaganda. Porky Pig you little racist sexist little pig, be gone along with Yosemite Sam, Coyote and all the rest of you. I guess Marvin the Martian was discriminatory against martians as well.

PZ Myers
"Bugs Bunny has a little integrity

The old Warner Bros. cartoons have become increasingly painful to watch — so much racism, so much sexism. So what do you do? Throw the old classics in the trash? Pretend entertainment has always been fair and egalitarian? Warner Bros. is preceding the old cartoons with a disclaimer."

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Can we turn this into a charity fund raiser?

https://i.4cdn.org/b/1409634099808.png

didymos

Post by didymos »

austin wrote:It never ends - didn't notice but now Bugs Bunny and the old classic WB cartoons are now officially revised to be branded racist and sexist by the SJWs, no different than watching Nazi propaganda. Porky Pig you little racist sexist little pig, be gone along with Yosemite Sam, Coyote and all the rest of you. I guess Marvin the Martian was discriminatory against martians as well.

PZ Myers

The old Warner Bros. cartoons have become increasingly painful to watch — so much racism, so much sexism. So what do you do? Throw the old classics in the trash? Pretend entertainment has always been fair and egalitarian? Warner Bros. is preceding the old cartoons with a disclaimer."
Well, they can induce some values dissonance. I don't particularly mind WB putting up a disclaimer at the beginning. Better than locking them away in the vaults or butchering them in an attempt to make them conform to modern sensibilities. Also, this:

[youtube]mZgW9ausYzI[/youtube]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Funnily enough most of them just look like photos of normal naked women taken in bad lighting and low resolution.

Avalyne

Post by Avalyne »

deLurch wrote:
Well his last post was about when I read the announcement ... retweets of C H Sommers, and of very anti-'radfem' tweets

So maybe he can now "speak" freely, or maybe I just read his stream wrongly, or maybe just coincidence
I noticed it too. I got the impression he was working his ass off to stay professional and neutral up until the announcement, and then the floodgates opened. It could be coincidence, but I doubt it.

Regarding this:
What the foundation really needs is another charismatic person who can delight audiences with both their presentation & intelligence. What they really need is another James Randi. Their funding is mostly based on him.
Wasn't Oolan sparkling up his resume earlier today?

And regarding this:
I've done that before while volunteering. Non-profits are not made of money & I am not going to launder a single t-shirt every day. I just wear a t-shirt under their official shirt.
Found you a helpful link. http://www.degreedeodorant.com/en/men/p ... ngth-clean

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Lsuoma wrote:

I looked at Pirate Bay, and the top torrent had something like 20,000 seeders.
Thank you, Leader and deLurch.

Avalyne

Post by Avalyne »

deLurch wrote:Can we turn this into a charity fund raiser?

https://i.4cdn.org/b/1409634099808.png
:lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

KiwiInOz wrote:

Funnily enough most of them just look like photos of normal naked women taken in bad lighting and low resolution.
Except perhaps for Kate, who looked like this, but without the scraps of cloth.

http://www.redvoice.gr/wp-content/uploa ... ona051.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

KiwiInOz wrote:Funnily enough most of them just look like photos of normal naked women taken in bad lighting and low resolution.
Yup. The professional photo shoots are better.

austin

Post by austin »

Cmon, if you're into purple, Jennifer Lawrence has been naked multiple times already, and she has a very nice kick. too

didymos

Post by didymos »

Purple? Dude, she's blue.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

deLurch wrote:
Old_ones wrote:Here is an interesting bit from Peezus' post on JREF
peezus wrote:Here’s one obvious reason:

"JREF Revenue: 2011: $1.56M, 2012: $1.29M, 2013: $887.5K.

— Jim Lippard (@lippard) September 1, 2014
They’re down to 60% of their 2011 revenue. That’s a good reason to change directions."

I can't help wondering how much of that effect is Peezus himself and his tribe of assholes constantly inveighing against JREF and skepticism in general, and trying to scare women away from going to TAM.
You can't spend money you don't have. The axe had to come down somewhere.
You asked in another post about 2007-2009. Here's a link to the 2007 form 990; I can't find a direct link to the others (only info-for-pay from Foundation Center and Guidestar)

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pd ... 12_990.pdf

JREF's total revenue line, 2007, from form 990: $831,099

didymos

Post by didymos »

WTF is she talking about? Does she really think any of the women who had their nudes leaked will really have their careers ruined? Hell, the only reason any of the Kardashians have a career is because of Kim's sex tape.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

CFI, for comparison (though CFI & JREF have quite different activities):

Total revenue:
5,242,304 (2009)
4,821,829 (2010)
5,255,211 (2011)
4,538,237 (2012)
5,603,722 (2013)

Revenue less expenses:
-37,437 (2009)
-55,956 (2010)
745,386 (2011)
-523,030 (2012)
336,897 (2013)

Net assets or fund balances:
372,780 (2009)
489,322 (2010)
1,109,622 (2011)
543,537 (2012)
971,741 (2013)

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/uploads ... losure.pdf

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/uploads ... 12-990.pdf

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/uploads ... ORM990.pdf

(2013 was the year of WiS2, for whatever effect that may have had.)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

deLurch wrote:
Badger3k wrote:want to bet we hear about how we are crying rage tears or some shit? If the fucked DJ over the internet butthurt contest, that's pathetic. You might be right and it's about what a major donor wants and they decide to kowtow to them. But the JREF was pretty much the only skeptical organization in America. CFI has turned into a political correctness hack job and a haven for pathetic losers who can't hold jobs anywhere else. Hoepfully the best case scenario is the the JREF stays completely out of the rage bloggers and white-knighting, but we'll see.
Minor point, but what kind of impact has JREF really made in the past few years? Yes, they have the famous $1 million dollar challenge. And they have their annual conference which is probably good for networking. But what kind of work have they been doing that raises significant awareness of scams and fraudsters beyond the whole small inner skeptic circle jerk? I think we all know bigfoot isn't real anymore.
Interesting point for consideration. I mainly get the educational aspect - through social media and my rss feed getting stories and info. How effective that is, and what else is being done...Hmm. I wonder if they have anything like a year-in-review accomplishments. IF they are mainly educational, then distribution and encouragement of skepticism and critical thinking would be key, and I'm not sure how to measure that. It does point out that they may not be that relevant in the wider world and merely hold a place of prominence among skeptics. :think:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Guest wrote:
Imagine you are in bar. You are approached by a large group of guys, and they begin threatening you. All of them. You try to avoid them at first, ignoring their comments, but slowly they edge closer. Everyone just sits by and watches them. They keep throwing threats that they'll kill you, that they'll beat the shit out of you, they'll stick knives up your arse and that they'll cut your balls off and feed them to you. Nobody else in the bar does anything, they just sit and watch as if this was a normal occurrence in the bar. You escape out a back door and head back to your home. You start to receive phone calls from the people at the bar, threats continuing. What would you do?

That is the equivalent of what is happening to Sarkeesian. It does not matter that it is on the internet.
This is the dumbest ******** thing I have ever read. It doesn't merit any response.
Fine. Explain to me why it is dumb and why the internet is different from real life.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA oh god, these people are fucking ridiculous. How fucking sheltered do you have to be to think this is an accurate or realistic analogy? Only someone who has never experienced this sort of thing in real life would make such a retarded fucking comparison. Reminds me of tumblrites whining that words are violence. No, you dumb ignorant cunts, violence is violence. If you had ever experienced it, believe me, you would know and understand the difference. These are the sorts of idiots who have no problem believing you can get PTSD from internet trolls. The mind boggles. And this shit stood unchallenged by everyone else.
When you can be raped by someone glancing at you, that's all you need to know about their understanding of reality and human interactions. I wonder if these special snowflakes all have personality disorders of some kind, or if they are just ignorant and prefer to let someone else do their thinking.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Haven't looked, but I wouldn't doubt you might find them on torrent sites (of course, a lot will be fake).

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Skep tickle wrote:You asked in another post about 2007-2009. Here's a link to the 2007 form 990; I can't find a direct link to the others (only info-for-pay from Foundation Center and Guidestar)

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pd ... 12_990.pdf

JREF's total revenue line, 2007, from form 990: $831,099
2011:

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2 ... 92e0-9.pdf

Page 15, section III has contributions and revenues from previous years.

It's notable that 2008 was also a banner year for income -- $1.3 million, though donations were under $300K. So, the 2 major income sources don't track in tandem. Elsewhere in the document, the non-contribution revenue is described as "seminars and lectures", so that part might be an indication of how often Randi himself can get out for official functions.

Maybe they were a little hasty about firing everyone. This just went out to Twitter:

http://imgur.com/NOtwdAw.png

The link is to the earlier announcement about changes. A day late? Great news? :lol:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

deLurch wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I believe that FOX News actually take a more sustainable argument than Sarkeesian when it comes to computer games; they highlight the violence which is necessary to progress in many games, while she highlights the violence which is possible, though not necessary. She also highlights the unnecessary violence only as it is done to female characters, ignoring the millions more male characters which have suffered unnecessary violence throughout the years. It is absolute bullshit; like trying to argue that white Irish men are the most historicaly persecuted group of people in American history, while ignoring black African women. You cannot just deliberately exclude massive data sets from your argument, and expect people to take your conclusions seriously.
And on the flip side of Fox news, would you tell an author that they need to exclude unnecessary violence in their books? That is a wholly restrictive boundary on their creative process. What if Stephen King (I don't like this books, but many people do) had to analyze his creative efforts under such a light.
Depends on the author. To go to TV, I liked the Agents of Shield show. For a while I thought that the one guy who was a traitor was undercover. Even going so far as to kill the good guys to maintain cover. But they had an episode where he ended up shooting a dog. Didn't see it, just the before and fade away to a shot, but the idea was there. Was that unnecessary...possibly, but it definitely sealed viewers (mine, at least) attitudes that this guy was irredeemable and a shitstain. Of course, before this I figured out that it wasn't a trick, but I had hope, until that. Plus what he did after that, of course. Different people have different ideas of what is needed and what isn't. Sometimes something that seems unnecessary can be there to seal the deal or set up an emotion in the viewer/reader/player. Did they need Annikan killing the kids? Maybe not, but it showed just how far he'd gone. I am fairly positive (only know one author personally, my niece who cowrote her first published book recently), have dabbled a bit (especially in RPGs - game master since the 70s), so I'm not new to the creative process, and I think most good writers do this, and if not, hopefully that is what the editors do as well. Just my two coppers.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

A new video by Jayd3Fox/JemryMellows accompanied by this twitlonger
Um, make of it what you will.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s7fefn
How I Am & What Happens Next #GamerGate

First, unsubscribe from my channel Jayd3Fox unless you like OOTDs. Nothing further of this mess will be on Jayd3Fox. There will be a video on Jemrymellows soon addressing my regrettable last video and what steps and plans I will take from here on out. I am still deciding. I think I made a hasty decision of putting up that video and saying the things I did. I also don't really want to take a month-long break from Jayd3Fox and my original subscribers. I owe them too much for their support.

Second, keep the fight strong. Also, fuck GuardianTech for their shit article. Unfollowing.

Third, I am well. I just needed some therapy. Chowfun, Gears, and K-dramas are all comforting. I will be back on my feet.

I want to apologize for my last video. It was a knee-jerk reaction and I overreacted. I should have been calm and acted accordingly. I apologize again for that. I do not want anyone to die. To feminists, I am sorry. To gamers, I am sorry. To gaming blogging "journalists", you can fuck off.

And I really want to stress how much all your personal stories and words of encouragement have been amazing. Some made me cry and made me laugh. There are amazing people, but sometimes all it takes is one bad apple to ruin the whole good bunch right?

Have a good day
Jayd3Fox
[youtube]tyscI9wZ8Bk[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

austin wrote:It never ends - didn't notice but now Bugs Bunny and the old classic WB cartoons are now officially revised to be branded racist and sexist by the SJWs, no different than watching Nazi propaganda. Porky Pig you little racist sexist little pig, be gone along with Yosemite Sam, Coyote and all the rest of you. I guess Marvin the Martian was discriminatory against martians as well.

PZ Myers

Come on - Marvin was clearly gay, and Bugs always winning showed that cross-dressing rabbits are better than gay martians. Or something.

I (within a few years) reread the marvel collections of various comics. The Fantastic Four was something else. Reading the interactions between Reed and Sue, the casual sexism of that era, was surprising. I just kept going ... wow. Is this what they thought people were like? Then again, it was that time, and maybe that is the way a lot of people were. I remember my Mom getting involved in feminism back then, not the radical kind, and my Dad supported her. So maybe I wasn't brought up in that culture, not really, except for seeing it on tv and the like. I like to think I turned out all right, and am definitely not going to give up on all the old cartoons, comics, etc.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Someone is paying spammer accounts on twitter to promote Feminist Frequency:
I've seen tons of these things in her @ mentions.