Post by Pagancat »

Pagancat

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Pagancat »

In relation to the video this morning

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

PZ Myers wrote: "If there is one biological imperative for humans, it is this: love one another. Build communities. Cooperate. Help each other in adversity.
Umm...isn't that four? :think:
austin wrote:
Notice the 60s love one another shit. Besides the fact that these two are contradictions, evolution just favors whatever it favors, nice or nasty - when has PZ and his flock ever demonstrated "love one another. Build communities. Cooperate. Help each other in adversity."

Its more like "unite by a set of common enemies, build echo chambers, cooperate only with those who agree with us, blame everyone else for our adversity"

And success, hahahaha!!!!!
Quite. It is actually quite sad to see someone I used to admire so helplessly surrendered to religious delusion. It's a stark reminder, if nothing else, of the inherent fragility and susceptibility of the human mind. That even someone who, until relatively recently, used to rail against this exact thing has now become a victim of it. Scary.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

another lurker wrote:So uhm, didn't Mr. Cavanaugh say that he was having an affair with Jennifer Lawrence in his head?

NSFW, alleged leaked nudes of JL:

http://www.thesuperficial.com/photos/je ... e-naked-03
The Guardian says if you click on those, you're participating in her abuse. Shitlord.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Someone should start this before the SJW pretenders do.

Gaming+

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

JacquesCuze wrote: I have to admit I don't understand this.

My coffee and ice tea usually contain three drops of sucralose which wiki tells me is
Sucralose is an artificial sweetener. The majority of ingested sucralose is not broken down by the body, so it is noncaloric.[4] In the European Union, it is also known under the E number (additive code) E955. Sucralose is about 320 to 1,000 times as sweet as sucrose (table sugar),

Sucralose was discovered in 1976 by scientists from Tate & Lyle, working with researchers Leslie Hough and Shashikant Phadnis at Queen Elizabeth College (now part of King's College London).[4] While researching ways to use sucrose and its synthetic derivatives as an insecticide, Phadnis was told to test a chlorinated sugar compound. Phadnis thought Hough asked him to "taste" it, so he did.[7] He found the compound to be exceptionally sweet.

It is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose, which substitutes three of the hydroxyl groups with chlorine. This chlorination is achieved by selective protection of the primary alcohol groups followed by acetylation and then deprotection of the primary alcohol groups. Following an induced acetyl migration on one of the hydroxyl groups, the partially acetylated sugar is then chlorinated with a chlorinating agent such as phosphorus oxychloride, followed by removal of the acetyl groups to give sucralose.[12]
Is this a natural compound because ... it exists solely of chemicals found on the periodic table?

Can I harvest sucralose? Can I find it in plants, trees, fruit, or animals?

http://i.imgur.com/swybAbb.jpg
I didn't understand it either.

Is it better to drink a regular soft drink with loads of natural sugar and calories, or to drink a Diet Coke/Tab/Diet Dr. Pepper with an artificial sweetener and no calories?

* OK, I realize it's better to drink water, and that's what I drink mostly (especially during/after exercise), but Peezusdammit once a day or so I really like to drink a Diet Coke. I drink a lot of homemade iced tea as well, and typically sweeten that with agave nectar (which is pretty much sacrilege here in the southern US).

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

PZ Myers wrote:"If there is one biological imperative for humans, it is this: love one another. Build communities. Cooperate. Help each other in adversity.
I think it's safe to say that humans are not so simple that we only have one biological imperative. Sex drives? Appetite for food? Avoidance of pain and death? No, according to Myers the only imperative we have is to love each other (although history might suggest otherwise).

Still, it's nice to know that PZ loves me. images/smilies/romance/heartbeating.gif

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

The world has ended, the fappening has begun

didymos

Post by didymos »

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

deLurch wrote:
DownThunder wrote:Ok time to go ye olde pit. What is with american food and consumable products? Why does everything have to be sweetened? Up to and including water? Australian outlets of costco sell a great deal of american food and its 99% shit. Everything is loaded with corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. I even have to wash my mouth out with sweetened mouthwash. Does mouthwash really need sorbitol?

I eat like a peasant. Not only does it cut out a great deal of sugar, excess carbs and provide more vitamins and fibre, it saves me money.
What? Do you expect them to ship fresh fruits and vegetables from the US to Australia? OK. Maybe apples, oranges, potatoes & corn. But I would expect you wouldn't get shipments that can be grown in Australia or nearby. Of course they are shipping the stuff that has a shelf life of 2 years.

Of course if you purchase prepackaged mixed foods it will tend to be processed crap. In the US you have two choices on how to shop. You can buy the junk in the middle of the store, or you can walk around the outer edge and get fresh ingredients.
Costco (at least the US outlets) has loads of fresh produce and basic ingredients for healthy cooking, much of it organically grown. I bought a small freezer (at Costco), and in addition to storing the vegetables I grow in my backyard, I can store raw nuts, berries and other fruit bought in season, flour, fish filets, etc. ... all of which can be found at Costco. I made the decision that even during my most intensely busy months at work (which I just finished on Friday - now it will be merely "busy"), I was not going to eat processed crap. Between Costco, the freezer, and the garden, I can avoid that processed food trap with minimal (well, by my standards) effort.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
PZ Myers wrote:"If there is one biological imperative for humans, it is this: love one another. Build communities. Cooperate. Help each other in adversity.
I think it's safe to say that humans are not so simple that we only have one biological imperative. Sex drives? Appetite for food? Avoidance of pain and death? No, according to Myers the only imperative we have is to love each other (although history might suggest otherwise).

Still, it's nice to know that PZ loves me. images/smilies/romance/heartbeating.gif
PZ loves everyone. In the end, even Winston loved Big Brother.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Suet Cardigan wrote:

It's a group selection argument in any case. From Jerry Coyne via the cesspit of lies:
Group selection isn’t widely accepted by evolutionists for several reasons. First, it’s not an efficient way to select for traits, like altruistic behavior, that are supposed to be detrimental to the individual but good for the group. Groups divide to form other groups much less often than organisms reproduce to form other organisms, so group selection for altruism would be unlikely to override the tendency of each group to quickly lose its altruists through natural selection favoring cheaters. Further, little evidence exists that selection on groups has promoted the evolution of any trait. Finally, other, more plausible evolutionary forces, like direct selection on individuals for reciprocal support, could have made humans prosocial. These reasons explain why only a few biologists, like [David Sloan] Wilson and E. O. Wilson (no relation), advocate group selection as the evolutionary source of cooperation.
Surely PeeZus isn't a proponent of group selection? :think:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

didymos wrote:This is pretty funny:

http://monsterhunternation.com/2014/08/ ... a-fisking/
It was a surreal experience and it felt like I had stepped into an ugly part of a bygone era, one in which whites were waited upon by minority servants.
Those people are classist assholes. I worked as a garbage man, and you know what? It's a job. You do because you get paid. You're not anyone's "servant" anymore than a teacher, a cop, or any other job. It may not be a particularly well paid or glamorous job, but it's what decent people do for a living. If you ever try to treat a garbage man as a servant (as some assholes do), good luck with your extra garbage, or if you put it out late, or if you accidentally threw away something. There are contractual obligations, but workers aren't slaves.

If the little shit thinks he can call good workers "servants" just to justify his fee-fees I really hope that one of these staff workers reads his article and shames the idiot.
Social Justice Warrior: Let’s begin. You’re racist.
Normal Person: What? Wait. No I’m not.
SJW: Well denying it just proves it.
NP: No, really, I’ve never done anything racist at all.
SJW: Invisible privilege, subconscious micro-aggressions, cismale gendernormative fascism!
NP: What the fuck?
SJW: Racist.
SPOT ON.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Hang on a minute ... Isn't this both a stab at Evolutionary Psychology and also a naturalistic fallacy.

What would Becky say ?

(Oh, OK she'd say It's OK when we do it)

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

N.B. in above post I used "a stab at" to mean "an attempt at" and not "an attack on"

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

austin wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
austin wrote:If anyone has time to kill, a funny B-horror flick is "There's nothing out there! (1991)" It's a classic kids go to a secluded cabin horror film. The funny part is a character who knows all the signs of impending doom from his extensive knowledge of horror films and tries to warn everybody in a really irritating ways that are ignored of course to the demise of most of the characters. Not at the same level as the Evil Dead series but fun anyway. Link below.

The ultimate shack in the woods horror movie has to be Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Especially the wood-chipper...
Then there is always the must see in laughable Cinema badness - Troll 2 - clips below

Troll 2 gave me nightmares for weeks. Wierdest headfuck of a movie ever.

I know it's supposed to be a film people point and laugh at because it's so terrible - and it is - but it just got under my skin in a way nothing else has. It's just so random and bizarre. The dialogue is SO unnatural, the acting is SO wierd, the direction SO appalling, the music SO horrible, it just a disturbing freak of a film - like it was made by aliens or something.

Lochness_Hamster

Post by Lochness_Hamster »

so basically Zoe Slept with 90 guys according to her BF.

I think the vid was made private so it could be shared with the other contestants in this Video game competition Zoe and Anita's PR lady slept with contest operator so her clients could win

austin

Post by austin »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
PZ loves everyone. In the end, even Winston loved Big Brother.
It's more likely PZ is remembering 60s acid trips and times when he actually really appreciated women, sexuality and all, and songs like The Youngbloods - Get together. Love everyone, in PZ's generation meant an entirely different thing.

In other words, when he behaved more like a real human being.

austin

Post by austin »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
austin wrote: Troll 2 gave me nightmares for weeks. Wierdest headfuck of a movie ever.

I know it's supposed to be a film people point and laugh at because it's so terrible - and it is - but it just got under my skin in a way nothing else has. It's just so random and bizarre. The dialogue is SO unnatural, the acting is SO wierd, the direction SO appalling, the music SO horrible, it just a disturbing freak of a film - like it was made by aliens or something.
Another headfuck and clusterfuck of a film in terms of acting, that a lot of people talk about as well is The Room.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Seriously it's the fucking pyt and I'm the only one to have mentioned the fappening. Saw blogosphere is about to go into meltdown

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Saw is sjw

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

Chelsea Van Valkenburg? Jesus Christ.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Lond ... stry-Apart

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

austin wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Stupid and selfish question: now that I've been banned from Benson's blog, as well, can I start a new thread that is specifically for sending them messages?
Consider that an honor. She has the audacity to put up a post agreeing that George Orwell of all people wrote "talented mediocrity," dissing him in effect saying she is a better writer. Unbelievable. I guess if your whole career is an exercise in doublespeak, you might not like Orwell, too personal, too close to home.

Wow. She really wrote that about Orwell?

Fuck me. But that is one of the dumbest things I've heard from a third-rate, no-account-nobody, wanna-be author whose initial success, it appears at least to me, with her blog came from her former co-bloggers and her latter success from being supported at FTB. And, despite her lack of merit and rapidly eroding skills, she's still somewhat 'successful' (in a very minor way) as a blogger because she's ridden the name-recognition gravy train since.

But as an 'author?' Without Stangroom, where are her books? 2006 with Stangroom. 2007 with Stangroom. 2009 with Stangroom.

Stangroom moves on from the relationship. No more books. So not even 'mediocrity.' Not a single piece rising to the level of a shitty 'post-championship-cobbled-together-in-three-days' sports-book explaining to us the manifest destiny of that team winning that year's championship consisting, primarily, of 'gosh-wow' and recycled sports-columns by the local beat-writer.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Za-zen wrote:Seriously it's the fucking pyt and I'm the only one to have mentioned the fappening. Saw blogosphere is about to go into meltdown
I posted a link to the J Law nudies earlier.

The Fappening is indeed awesome. Perhaps Pitters were fapping to the donkey sex and missed your comment.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

she has the audacity to put up a post agreeing that George Orwell of all people wrote "talented mediocrity," dissing him in effect saying she is a better writer.
She's surely better than Orwell at copy-pasting.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Lsuoma wrote:
austin wrote:If anyone has time to kill, a funny B-horror flick is "There's nothing out there! (1991)" It's a classic kids go to a secluded cabin horror film. The funny part is a character who knows all the signs of impending doom from his extensive knowledge of horror films and tries to warn everybody in a really irritating ways that are ignored of course to the demise of most of the characters. Not at the same level as the Evil Dead series but fun anyway. Link below.

The ultimate shack in the woods horror movie has to be Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Especially the wood-chipper...
Tucker and Dale is indeed great. "There's nothing out there!" sounds like a premake of Cabin in the Woods, which I very much enjoyed.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Cabin in the Woods was great.

This one is also good http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0437857/?ref_=m_nmfmd_act_35

Behind the Mask: the Legend of Leslie Vernon

Pretty funny send up of what it takes to be a horror movie villain.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Suet Cardigan wrote: Still, it's nice to know that PZ loves me. images/smilies/romance/heartbeating.gif
And has a wonderful plan for your life.

austin

Post by austin »

PZ pre and post-Elevatorgate explained by a classic scene from a movie

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

That was funny, insightful, and a trip down memory lane for me.

[type ... type ... type ... deleted]

Fuck.

I just wrote a long post about my experiences with a MMRPG and then realized that it could be used to dox me.

Fuck.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

piginthecity wrote:
Hang on a minute ... Isn't this both a stab at Evolutionary Psychology and also a naturalistic fallacy.

What would Becky say ?

I would really love to know if PZ has drunk so long and deeply of the Koolaid to actually believe what he wrote. And, if so, does he maintain a second personality (for when he's doing his job) that doesn't believe such bullshit. A "biological imperative to love one another"??? Peezus Cris-Rad! Are you kidding me?

austin

Post by austin »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
piginthecity wrote:

What would Becky say ?

I would really love to know if PZ has drunk so long and deeply of the Koolaid to actually believe what he wrote. And, if so, does he maintain a second personality (for when he's doing his job) that doesn't believe such bullshit. A "biological imperative to love one another"??? Peezus Cris-Rad! Are you kidding me?
Yes but note the parallel:

"If there is one biological imperative for humans, it is this: love one another."

PZ Myers

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

Jesus Christ; John 15:12

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Oh, I got that. But I really am more interested in whether he has discarded his training to remain the captain of the SJL. Apologies in I'm here imposing my interests over yours. It's just that I find my interests more interesting. :)

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Well, it's hard for me to believe I was actually frustrated with this SJL caricature yesterday.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

austin wrote:
Yes but note the parallel:

"If there is one biological imperative for humans, it is this: love one another."

PZ Myers

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

Jesus Christ; John 15:12
If JC was anything like Myers, it certainly explains the clusterfuck that is humanity right now.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

James Caruthers wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Went back to page on on the Fark thread. As I suspected, the joe character I quoted is full-blown SJW (from page one):
Deal with it, Fedorans - your silly little hobby has gone mainstream - it's a commodity now, like TV advertisements.
It will be criticized and curated by a body of normal people who VASTLY OUTNUMBER YOU.
And creepy guys in suits who don't know or care a good Goddamn about "game design" (whatever absurd conceit that is) are going to make huge piles of money off it.
Serious gamers, dig it - and dig it deep: Gaming isn't yours anymore. It belongs to the culture now.
Increasingly, the shape of gaming will reflect the tastes and perceptions of normal, regular people.
People not like you.
Notice those last two lines. "Normal" and "not like you." Hmm, what could that mean? :bjarte:

Seems to me like, what with all this talk of "normal" vs "gamer" from the games journalists and social justice warriors, what I'm picking up from the social justice league, feminists and hipsters within gaming is an overwhelming hate and disgust for nerds and nerd culture.

They recognize that nerd culture is cool now, but they still can't fucking stand nerds and so want to APPROPRIATE all of the cool nerd shit and tailor it to their tastes. What they don't realize is social justice warriors have SHIT tastes and so anything cool they steal and change will instantly become cancerous because of its association with them and their garbage-tier sense of quality.

Unlike atheism, I don't feel this fight is a lost cause yet. They can try to drag games into "mainstream cutlure," but as long as the overwhelming majority of consumer spending in this industry is driven by *people who actually play and enjoy games because they're fun* and not SJWs, companies will have to make that choice between ideology and money.

The problem we've been having up until now is that nerd culture is full of fucking pussies, which has allowed anyone with a sideways smile and a sob story to mosey into the nerd culture in bad faith and attempt to transform it into a mouthpiece for their personal ideology. It's heartening to finally see some resistance against these people.
You'd think this narrative about a vast majority of people taking something away from the minority of social misfits that built it would be uncomfortable for an SJW to type. I guess if you depend overly on categories and labels sometimes you miss the patterns.

I don't think these SJWs are going to get what they want with games though, and I don't think they are honestly characterizing the situation. If more people play video games now than they used to, it would be because of the quality of those games IMO. I don't think all these "Normal People(TM)" started playing video games because they were really hoping for a remake of Depression Quest on the Skyrim engine. It might actually be fun if these assholes managed to force a few titles like that, because the non-SJW reviews would be a laugh riot. If what these SJWs really want is just a trans option in the character selection for Elder Scrolls VI, well, I couldn't give two shits about that and I doubt most "Gamers(TM)" would.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

sinister wrote: I think that this happening is bigger than I first believed. I don't.think most people were aware about just how toxic this SJW bullshit is. I don't think the attack on gamers has gone unnoticed as it has many times before. Gamers may be perceived as a lot of things, but I don't think racist misogynist oppressors were among those believed. I think many more people are a little shocked by the accusations than nod their heads in agreement.
I don't think they're going to change gaming (i.e. change what publishers do because that hasn't happened in music, film or TV) in any material way. So they can rant-and-rave on Twitter and ramble on about 'Standards You Walk Past' and the rest of that crap, but people who chase the $$$ are going to throw an occasional bone, like some idiotic PR position at corporate headquarters, but otherwise ignore them.

But what drives me nuts is the slander. It's like they have never actually been in the greater gaming world. Sure, they've seen a few YouTube videos of people getting trolled and some where you have some asshole behaving badly.

But those people are scarce. I've been playing online since EQII and using Vent, Mumble and Teamspeak as well as any game-provided VOIP (like LOTRO provides) and have NEVER run into the online harassment issue as presented by the SJWs. Sure, on occasion, someone might say something stupid like "I'm going to rape your ass" or 'we raped them" but it been uniformly directed at the opponents in some World v World type of situation who do not share our voice server and it is at least equally-likely the (unheard by the target) abuse was toward a man as a woman.

Plus, gamers are pretty self-policing as a group. On the rare instance of someone saying something like 'faggot,' or 'nigger' in our VOIP channel, they'd get an immediate warning, jumped pretty hard by many of us in the community, and if they continued on, they'd be perma-banned.

And last, on-line and competitive gaming is rather egalitarian. Nobody gives a fuck about your color, sex or orientation. What we care about is that you can either LEAD, FIGHT or SUPPORT well. Some of the best commanders I ever served under -- Eve Online, GW and GW2 -- were women. Some of the best fighters I've ever had the pleasure to fight with (Fallen Earth, Eve Online, GW, GW2) were women.

And when I look at leadership positions... My guild leaders, in on-line games I played (or continue to play) for a significant time, by sex:

EQ2 (2004) -- Male
Eve Online (2006) -- Male
GW (2007) -- Female
DDO (2007)-- Female
Mabinogi (2008) -- Male (sub trans, so there SJWs!) then Female then Male then Female (same as previous, just a leadership change) and now Male
Fallen Earth (2009) -- Male
LOTRO (2009) -- Female
GW2 (2012) -- Female
Warframe (2014) -- Male (same leader as in Mabinogi, but the guild is co-run by a husband and wife, but technically he's the leader)

So, 7 men, 6 women.

Yet, despite seeing a lot of self-policing, intolerance for gay-bashing, race-bashing and sex-bashing, and women (roughly) equally represented (if not somewhat over-represented compared to population) in leadership on-line gaming is supposed to be a pit of misogyny that crushes women.

And that's what pisses me off. I've been playing for a decade. I've met hundreds of people on-line. I've got thousands and thousands of hours of on-line in MMOs and co-operative multiplayer games. And, save a few rare exceptions dealt with immediately by the community, I've never come close to the pit-of-bullshit gaming is supposed to be.

And my experience is common.

Now, when you get into on-line death match stuff. There's a lot of verbal abuse. And it is simply the meta-game designed to throw you off of your game. And the women are just as shitty as the men when it comes to that (the woman's trash-talking starts at 5:36):

[youtube]Vn96kFe3DyE[/youtube]

sinister

Post by sinister »

Haha, I posted the Internet Aristocrat video to my wall, and I get a message about maybe being "more sensitive" about what I post. :lol: :lol:

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

On the off-chance that it got memory-holed:
http://i.imgur.com/vggg2yB.jpg

sinister

Post by sinister »

Tribble, well said, and what I wanted to convey as well. These terrible gamers people talk about are really rare. I too am very sick of the slander.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BlueShiftRhino wrote: I would really love to know if PZ has drunk so long and deeply of the Koolaid to actually believe what he wrote. And, if so, does he maintain a second personality (for when he's doing his job) that doesn't believe such bullshit. A "biological imperative to love one another"??? Peezus Cris-Rad! Are you kidding me?
PZ Myers is in the position of being able to say anything and have his acolytes lap it up (except if what he's saying doesn't pass the Horde's fem-PC test). Even when what he's saying not only contradicts science, but also his own demonstrated behavior. Really, when a nasty, angry little man like PZ Myers spouts off about a "biological imperative to love one another", it's like Ken Ham advocating for the scientific method. Massive facepalms.

Peezus is just enjoying one of the perks of playing cult leader to a bunch of servile morons who have turned their reasoning facilities off.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Opyt it's shame we can't turn stupid into a green power source, it might make SJWs useful.

Post by Guest »

Sweet, sweet bandwagon-hopping from the A plussers. Oh shit yes.
As I posted elsewhere I was/am interested in creating a social justice themed project utilizing my skills in interactive media to promote social justice and cosciousness raising activities thereby.

Gremalkin voted in on the project, and so, the two of us (for now) will be using this thread for planning purposes.

-------

That said, a few initial thoughts.
I am thinking building something with a lot of passive consciousness raising integrated into the structure of a simulation sounds like the way to go.

The problem is going to be selecting a theme and mechanic that really illustrates that theme well.
Thinking of it as a contextualized simulation is probably a good way to go, as calling it a "game" tends to lend a focus of entertainment. Not that I don't wish to entertain, butany entertainment should be in service of facilitating the message, rather than a goal in and of itself.

That said, let's start by brainstorming mechanics and how they could serve a potential theme or raise awareness.

One that popped into my head the other day was to have a simulation where whatever gender the user selects, their avatar is given the opposite representation, even if just the color of the avatar. Then their interactions with the simulation might play out a struggle to transition, maybe just from blue to pink or visa versa, as a very basic seed idea of the world.

Another was the idea of spoons, I thought it might be interesting to have a simulation where ordinary activities most take for granted cost the user spoons proportional to the effect a particular simulated situation would have on the role they were either assigned or chose at the start of the simulation.

Another possibility was to in some way illustrate the damage of tribal thinking through a simulation where the user must in some way learn group dynamics and the harm of insularity in order to progress and improve the simulation.

Those are just a few simple seeds. Thoughts?
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6310

I'm particularly looking forward to the part where they illustrate the dangers of tribal thinking (sounds culturally insensitive to me though). I'm thinking it will be something like Command & Conquer, only you have to stop the A+ forums from being ravaged by shitlords while also preventing the exploitation of your rich irony mines.

Who am I kidding? I have a strong feeling that there will never be any playable game (although I guess they deserve props for even starting a conversation about making one, as that elevates them far beyond the mass of SJWs whining about gaming but offering no alternative).

windy

Post by windy »

Suet Cardigan wrote:

[youtube]BGWm4ASP4zk[/youtube]

austin

Post by austin »

Another point that is always missed. Everyone has latent violent tendencies and sexual frustrations and anxieties that have to be vented from time to time. Better to do this through video games and watching sports like the NFL than real life. The Romans did this with gladiator games in the distant past. I'll bet that video games and sports and other type activities actually greatly decrease actual inappropriate sex acts and violence that would occur, if these outlets didn't exist. These things calm the beast sort of speak.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Sorry to snip and paste....
Tribble wrote:But what drives me nuts is the slander.
Me, too. And that's a majority of what got me banned from Benson's blog - pointing out potential libel against Thunderf00t.
Tribble wrote:Plus, gamers are pretty self-policing as a group. On the rare instance of someone saying something like 'faggot,' or 'nigger' in our VOIP channel, they'd get an immediate warning, jumped pretty hard by many of us in the community, and if they continued on, they'd be perma-banned.
Absolutely. In the long post I wrote and then deleted, I talked about this Australian guy who called people "Abos." When it became clear what he was really saying, we kicked him out and took a break from our other battles to raze every fucking castle he had.
Tribble wrote:And last, on-line and competitive gaming is rather egalitarian.

And when I look at leadership positions... My guild leaders, in on-line games I played (or continue to play) for a significant time, by sex:

EQ2 (2004) -- Male
Eve Online (2006) -- Male
GW (2007) -- Female
DDO (2007)-- Female
Mabinogi (2008) -- Male (sub trans, so there SJWs!) then Female then Male then Female (same as previous, just a leadership change) and now Male
Fallen Earth (2009) -- Male
LOTRO (2009) -- Female
GW2 (2012) -- Female
Warframe (2014) -- Male (same leader as in Mabinogi, but the guild is co-run by a husband and wife, but technically he's the leader)
Yep. By far the best fighter in the MMRPG that I was playing was a woman. She was also the person who figured out most of the tricks to beat the standard defenses built into the game. But her sex was irrelevant. It wasn't as if folks would hear her name and not be afraid (cf. hurricane names); when she sent you a warning, you knew you were fucked.
Tribble wrote:And my experience is common.
Well, at least up your N by one - me.

Post by Guest »

The important questions are tackled early on in the process.
AlexSeanchai wrote:
Define 'gender-conforming'. I'd say a trans woman in high heels and pearls and a Cinderella gown is conforming to her gender quite well (if rather too formally for most situations). Not to her assigned-at-birth gender, but that's not the same thing.

Right. I think what we need from an engine standpoint is, what is the % likelihood for this person to be perceived as conforming to their assigned gender.
Is there an ideal label for that? Passing?

Kassiane wrote:
As an ethnically ambiguous biracial person I like that slider in particular, though there's also the complication of passing privilege on that axis.

Right, I would need to create an algorithm that determines the passing privilege based on the %'s.

AlexSeanchai wrote:
Define 'gender-conforming'. I'd say a trans woman in high heels and pearls and a Cinderella gown is conforming to her gender quite well (if rather too formally for most situations). Not to her assigned-at-birth gender, but that's not the same thing.

Right, So this certainly makes the maths harder. Trying to think what the ideal configuration is...
So maybe:
Sex (AAB): M/F
Trans*: Y/N
Gender Passing: 0% -----o------ 100%
Ethnicity Privilege Passing: 0% ------o------- 100%

This gets tricky if, say, we're doing a roll for sexism.
If the person is Male (AAB) Trans, and high passing, they would then roll to pass as female, and be subject to sexism.
If the person is Female (AAB) not trans, high passing, they would then roll to pass as female and be subject to sexism.
What I'm curious about is whether we should have gender passing apply to non-trans folks? EG: What if the party member is Male (AAB) but very effeminate, would that be Male (AAB), non-trans, low passing? Or do we just ignore the passing thing for non-trans folks?

Similarly, Ethnicity privilege passing becomes a question if we make any of the racism targeted. Do we then just treat the % ethnicity as the effective "passing" for that ethnicity?
Do we weight each ethnicity in a "passing for white" roll based on how "white" that ethnicity is perceived to be?
I thought the idea of gamification was to make things more fun, but Depression Quest sure cleared that up for me.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

austin wrote:Another point that is always missed. Everyone has latent violent tendencies and sexual frustrations and anxieties that have to be vented from time to time. Better to do this through video games and watching sports like the NFL than real life. The Romans did this with gladiator games in the distant past. I'll bet that video games and sports and other type activities actually greatly decrease actual inappropriate sex acts and violence that would occur, if these outlets didn't exist. These things calm the beast sort of speak.
Nah. You're just projecting. Men want to be violent and women get wet thinking about being the spoils of the victor. Totally different.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

And more...

[youtube]m6oQrDAmCs[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tribble wrote: But what drives me nuts is the slander. It's like they have never actually been in the greater gaming world. Sure, they've seen a few YouTube videos of people getting trolled and some where you have some asshole behaving badly.

But those people are scarce. I've been playing online since EQII and using Vent, Mumble and Teamspeak as well as any game-provided VOIP (like LOTRO provides) and have NEVER run into the online harassment issue as presented by the SJWs. Sure, on occasion, someone might say something stupid like "I'm going to rape your ass" or 'we raped them" but it been uniformly directed at the opponents in some World v World type of situation who do not share our voice server and it is at least equally-likely the (unheard by the target) abuse was toward a man as a woman.
It's the same thing that's been going on for years. Take a very small (or sometimes nonexistent) problem, turn it into a straw bogeyman of nightmarish proportions, and try to score as many agenda points as possible by attacking that straw bogeyman. Suddenly, a few internet trolls become "a massive problem with misogyny and harassment in the skeptic/atheist community", a socially awkward man bringing a camera atop a monopod to a con becomes "upskirt camera man", another seemingly somewhat socially awkward man in an elevator asking a woman for coffee becomes a creepy pervert, and Michael Shermer becomes a "proven rapist" (Nerd of Redhead's words) because he made sure the wine glasses of those at his table stayed full. Soon, shit just gets made up at will, without even a starting backstory. Bill Nye being accused of being "handsy at conferences" comes to mind.

Facts? Fuck'em. If it doesn't fit the narrative, into the trash it goes.

No matter what the arena - gaming, skepticism, etc. - the playbook is the same.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

If you've got some time to kill Sargon of Akkad has a lengthy commentary on some of the "gaming is dead" articles in the gaming press.

[youtube]N_K13iEWQfY[/youtube]

Which was good for me because the last thing I want to do is give these Y. pestis carrying assfleas a hit for writing this drivel. My "favorite" passage comes up at around 45min. Sargon is reading and discussing a reviewer's list of rules for making better games and entry number 11 is "We stop upholding 'fun' as the universal, ultimate criterion of a game's relevance". The reviewer goes on to dismiss fun as "a neurological trick".

I wonder what the actual game developers are thinking about all of this shit.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Tribble wrote:And more...

[youtube]m6oQrDAmCs[/youtube]
Check your URL....this video, as is, does not exist.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Life isn't fair.

Yesterday morning, I sneezed hard while farting and suddenly I had a sharp pain in my anus - has been hurting quite a bit since then.
Best guess so far = Perianal venous thrombosis.

And the family doc is on vacation. Fukke me. I'm literally suffering from butthurt hahah*ouch*.

John D

Post by John D »

Haha. I was at Gen Con for all four days, running demo games and playing board, mini, and social games. It was 100% fun. Everyone is there to just have a good time. Everyone is included. We added a little sticker on our passes that said "GAYMER" to show our gay support. Every race and creed is represented. Of course, there is not a 18% representation of Americans of African decent. It is in Indianapolis after all.... and it is not like geek/games culture is giantly popular with African Americans. My daughter's boyfriend came with us and he is black... so we did our part to promote diversity of race. Also, we were 3/5 female.... so we have the ladies covered.

I showed my kids this article and they rolled their eyes.

John D

Post by John D »

TiBo wrote:Life isn't fair.

Yesterday morning, I sneezed hard while farting and suddenly I had a sharp pain in my anus - has been hurting quite a bit since then.
Best guess so far = Perianal venous thrombosis.

And the family doc is on vacation. Fukke me. I'm literally suffering from butthurt hahah*ouch*.
Could be a fissure. I had a fissure for four months. Fucking asshole pain for about 2 hours a day... like... yeah... really painful. Good luck.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Just for the record, I am opposed to the Fappening on privacy grounds. These men and women should not have had their property stolen and shared.

The Fappening does, however, prove that SJW bullshit ebbs and flows with time, but you will ALWAYS get attention if you have nude pictures of celebrities. You'll never squeeze sexual desire out of people...no matter how hard you try, Ophie, PZ, Steffalump and all the rest.

austin

Post by austin »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
austin wrote:Another point that is always missed. Everyone has latent violent tendencies and sexual frustrations and anxieties that have to be vented from time to time. Better to do this through video games and watching sports like the NFL than real life. The Romans did this with gladiator games in the distant past. I'll bet that video games and sports and other type activities actually greatly decrease actual inappropriate sex acts and violence that would occur, if these outlets didn't exist. These things calm the beast sort of speak.
Nah. You're just projecting. Men want to be violent and women get wet thinking about being the spoils of the victor. Totally different.
Perhaps, perhaps. I drank too many cups of coffee this morning working on a paper that is overdue. Don't want to start to sound too much like PZ or SJWs!!!!

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Really? wrote:Just for the record, I am opposed to the Fappening on privacy grounds. These men and women should not have had their property stolen and shared.
Me, too, but I still went and looked. Then I mentioned to my daughter (who loves the Hunger Games) that there are naked pics of JLaw on the web and used this to have another conversation about "inappropro selfies" with her iPhone.

Teaching moment and all that shit.

ps. as usual, I was impressed with JLaw's response - to not deny that the pics were real and then also say "fuck off"

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

austin wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Perhaps, perhaps. I drank too many cups of coffee this morning working on a paper that is overdue. Don't want to start to sound too much like PZ or SJWs!!!!
This is why SJWs in gaming have an uphill struggle. Most people have stressful lives, working in jobs where we have to take shit all day long or having to drag screaming brats around a supermarket. I used to work a shitty customer service job taking crap that would make you want to stab kittens. If the only games I had available were the kind put out by Zoe Quinn and her ilk I would still be pwning noobs. Only the noobs I would be pwning would be the ones in the queue at Tesco.