Old subthreads

Dick Strawkins

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Scented Nectar wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
What are her interesting points?
The most important one, IMO, is that date rape can be just as or perhaps even more traumatizing than violent rape. It's a point that's not commonly thought about and one Dawkins obviously hadn't considered when he made his tweet (though he did acknowledge his mistake in the follow up post). I'd say most people haven't considered the idea really, and it's a valuable contribution to the discussion.
He should have differentiated the rapes by comparing rapes where a penis is used as the penetrating object, to ones where a rusty knife or a dead porcupine are the penetrating object. I mean, who could possibly deny that the latter is a worse form of rape? Seems pretty clear to me.
FTB's resident vogon poet, Yemmi, has a post where she takes the standard line that Dawkins is terrible, except she goes to the trouble of trying to spell out the reasons why in clearer language than most of the other attempts I've read.
Basically she says that he is wrong to make distinctions about rape because it affects people differently.
A date rape could be more devastating to one person than a violent rape would have been.

The trouble with that line is that it depends entirely on the subjective feelings of the victim - and if we are only talking about feelings then why stick to just types of rapes. Could it be that finding out that your partner was cheating on you was more devastating than being raped by a stranger? How about losing your job, or the death of a beloved pet?
There are an infinite number of things that could affect a persons life in a negative way - many of which will affect that life in a very bad way, and worse for many people than a single incident of violent crime such as rape.

In that case it would be wrong to say that stranger rape is worse than date rape.
But it would be equally wrong to say that getting raped is worse than losing your job.

Dawkins is getting accused of committing an error by bringing rape into the discussion of logic, but as far as I can see the specific point about rape is irrelevant.
The problem here is bringing feelings into the discussion of logic.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

James Caruthers wrote:Big Red gets a 1,000,000 score from me. Without her, where would I get my really good wank pictures?
I've seen her in my neighborhood recently. She was having a smiling conversation and it actually jarred me a bit because I wasn't used to seeing her that way. Also, she no longer has red hair and it looks like she's put on additional weight. Probably no more wanking material for you.

I briefly thought about taking a picture to share here, but the mature adult part of me took over and made the executive decision not to. :)

Git

Post by Git »

Dick Strawkins wrote: FTB's resident vogon poet, Yemmi, has a post where she takes the standard line that Dawkins is terrible, except she goes to the trouble of trying to spell out the reasons why in clearer language than most of the other attempts I've read.
Basically she says that he is wrong to make distinctions about rape because it affects people differently.
A date rape could be more devastating to one person than a violent rape would have been.
I don't know about you, but Yemmi's "poetry" is much more devastating than just about any act of violence would be. #notallpoets

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

jugheadnaut wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Big Red gets a 1,000,000 score from me. Without her, where would I get my really good wank pictures?
I've seen her in my neighborhood recently. She was having a smiling conversation and it actually jarred me a bit because I wasn't used to seeing her that way. Also, she no longer has red hair and it looks like she's put on additional weight. Probably no more wanking material for you.

I briefly thought about taking a picture to share here, but the mature adult part of me took over and made the executive decision not to. :)
This is her before she became 'Big Red'.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2v9ss5l.png

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I love "vogon poet" BTW.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Dawkins is getting accused of committing an error by bringing rape into the discussion of logic, but as far as I can see the specific point about rape is irrelevant.
The problem here is bringing feelings into the discussion of logic.
That's related to what I thought her second interesting point was, that feelings need to be taken into account. That said, I believe she gets in completely backwards in terms of the manner in which they should be taken into account. Relying on a hysterical person's opinion is a very, very bad idea if you ask me. The objective fact that a person is hysterical though, is what the conversation should be concerned with. What made them that way? Is like likely to happen again, to happen to others? How do we prevent this? If we have proposals on the table to prevent it, what are potential side effects of those proposals? Those are all questions for logic, not emotion, but we'd have no need of the logic if the emotion wasn't there in the first place.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

And I'm beginning to think taking on this r/atheism history project was a mistake. Digging through some of the more disgusting comments reminds me of why I started pretending there's no such thing as feedback on youtube videos.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

sinister wrote:Also, a question for those who have tussled with Hornbeck, has he ever listed his credentials? I constantly see him questioning everyone else's, but I don't see his anywhere. Not surprising really.
HJ refuses to divulge his CV. What can be pieced together is:
(Not doxxing -- all based on HJs own statements)
* graduated a couple of years ago from U Calgary. Given his apparent age, he's too young to have completed more than a bachelor's;

* has taken multiple women's/gender studies courses;

* has read ( albeit without fully comprehending) a fair amount of Pomo & gender fem writing;

* participates in a trans rights discussion group at a local coffee shop;

* in 1997, posted to the Internet a dissertation on how he'd out- smarted the video game DOOM while playing on his big brother's PC;

* currently works in IT.

Less certain, but hinted at:

* was born with a micro-penis;

* was dropped as a baby.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:

Yeah, I've seen those before. I recognized her because she still has the same glasses, a similar hairstyle, and her reverse-smile mouth (which made her actual smile kind of weird looking). It looks like her physical transformation has mostly happened over the past couple of years, because in this video that has some 2012 footage at the start, she's only a bit chubbier than in her PoF pictures, and still very attractive. Same Big Red personality though.
[youtube]GVuK44kWgxk[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:But really, when you look at it charitably (hi Morales!), it could have worked. The one in the foreground, bottom left, would look quite okay if it was on a simple background as said somewhere earlier here. Or maybe black background, the beads, and the constellation's outlines. The vomit she splattered on there instead is appalling.
But to be charitable, the shiny undigested corn kernels in there add a nice detail.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Git wrote:
Incidentally, anyone who claims "dis-proportionality" as a factor in judgements of war crimes is talking out of their arse. There's no such concept in the Laws of War.
Yes. The disproportionality argument is the punching up/punching down argument in sheep's clothing. If Hamas got hold of a daisy cutter bomb and took out a quarter of Tel Aviv, no one would be criticizing them for dis-proportionality. If Israel responded by depopulating Gaza City and then carpet bombing it, the disproportionality argument would be back.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:But really, when you look at it charitably (hi Morales!), it could have worked. The one in the foreground, bottom left, would look quite okay if it was on a simple background as said somewhere earlier here. Or maybe black background, the beads, and the constellation's outlines. The vomit she splattered on there instead is appalling.
But to be charitable, the shiny undigested corn kernels in there add a nice detail.
Does anyone agree with my observation above that the 'vomit' is just soapy water that is going to get rinsed off? If this is so, most of this discussion is off-base. Although, does one really need a good reason to make fun of surleys? :lol:

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Git wrote:
Incidentally, anyone who claims "dis-proportionality" as a factor in judgements of war crimes is talking out of their arse. There's no such concept in the Laws of War.
Yes. The disproportionality argument is the punching up/punching down argument in sheep's clothing. If Hamas got hold of a daisy cutter bomb and took out a quarter of Tel Aviv, no one would be criticizing them for dis-proportionality. If Israel responded by depopulating Gaza City and then carpet bombing it, the disproportionality argument would be back.
I'll argue there's merit to it. That a fight is one-sided matters. As an analogy, if I take a wild swing at Anderson Silva, and he dodges it with effortless grace, it would be kind of fucked up for him to then break my arms and legs in retaliation.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

didymos wrote:
Shanley is basically the tech world's version of Beccy Watson. She does exactly fuck-all in terms of actual technology work, and has made a tidy living from being outraged on the Internet.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
didymos wrote:
Shanley is basically the tech world's version of Beccy Watson. She does exactly fuck-all in terms of actual technology work, and has made a tidy living from being outraged on the Internet.
Is it me, or does Shanley look like a robot from "I, Robot"?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jet_lagg wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Git wrote:
I'll argue there's merit to it. That a fight is one-sided matters. As an analogy, if I take a wild swing at Anderson Silva, and he dodges it with effortless grace, it would be kind of fucked up for him to then break my arms and legs in retaliation.
I'm not arguing that it's not possible to have a disproportional response. If Israel had responded by re-occupying Gaza with massive firepower and going back to the '80s status quo where most Palestinians in the region lived in refugee camps, that would be disproportionate. But the disproportionality argument is used to criticize Israel's use of modern weapons when Hamas only has far more primitive ones. Israel has every right to use the most effective weapons it has available to pursue just ends while trying to minimize collateral damage (although there's definitely room for argument on 'just ends').

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

TiBo wrote:
Git wrote:
Tribble wrote:
INTX.
INFP
i hate you all bc i dont know what these terms mean, you exclusionary fuckwits.
Ah, the classic ESTJ response. ;) :lol:

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

jugheadnaut wrote: But, like everyone at FTB, she misses the main point. Dawkins wasn't giving his personal opinion on normative grades of rape. The statement was an example meant to illustrate a point of logic. This point would have held even if you believed the statement was false (i.e. "Cockroaches are bad. Kittens are worse." is not a statement in support of cockroaches). A valid criticism before he released his second statement would be that if he was just illustrating a point of logic, why use such a provocative subject? The second statement explained all: he wanted to see to what extent injecting an emotional topic into his point would obscure and decivilize the discussion. And he got his answer: among those identifying as feminists, very much. They're still focusing on his example statement, which he doesn't even necessarily believe, rather than his main point.
As the youngin's say, "This"

Dawkins' tweets had exactly one logical intent. "Ranking X as worse than Y is not an endorsement of Y". This isn't fucking rocket surgery, it's Logic 101. That one of the examples he used had the added benefit of exposing the fact that the fuckwits (Benson Approvedâ„¢) in the Social Justice Brigade have corralled out certain emotional topics where logic is verboten was simply gravy.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Has anyone stopped to answer the question: just who are all these skeptics (sic) who want surlyramics of their astrology sign?

sinister

Post by sinister »

Fuck off Miri. I love that she links to the bad things on reddit but can't seem to find crazy shit on Tumblr. Also, everything is "organized" since, you know, it is impossible that vast swaths of people could think this stuff is crazy without leadership. Also, fuck you Miri they are the worst of progressives and liberals, and liberals like me aren't afraid to say so. Go ahead, try to call us bad allies. I'm sure some betas will listen.

free thoughtpolice

jet_lagg wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Git wrote:
On the other hand, if you were firing rockets at him and trying to tunnel into his back yard and you had been repeatedly swinging at him and trying to procure weapons to attack him with do you think he should just do nothing?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
TiBo wrote:
Git wrote:
INFP
If so, he would be the first S here. Which is very interesting because by more than 2:1, S is more common in the US general population.

http://www.capt.org/mbti-assessment/est ... encies.htm

Another interesting thing about these figures is that there's only minor gender differences except for T/F. Men are significantly more likely to be Thinkers, and woman are significantly more likely to be Feelers. Kind of stereotypical. Is Myers-Briggs a tool of the patriarchy? :)

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:

Bah, she's frowning even when she smiles. Her smile reminds me of this:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1396467/thumb ... cebook.jpg

The crazy alarm bells would definitely be going off in my head, even if I didn't know about her shining personality from the internets.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I think it's supposed to represent some sort of nebulae or something, you know, like all those we see behind the constellations. Or maybe it's just vomit.
Yeah, the issue isn't that she tried something and it didn't work out. It's that she tried something that didn't work out, then made a whole bunch of them, tagged them and has them ready for sale.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
TiBo wrote:
Git wrote:[.quote="Tribble"]

INTX.[./quote]

INFP
It makes me happy to have kicked off the personality tests frenzy but I'm a bit surprised that nobody tested CUNT.

This is a pretty good site with dozens of tests.
http://similarminds.com/ e.g. http://similarminds.com/jung.html/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Git wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: FTB's resident vogon poet, Yemmi, has a post where she takes the standard line that Dawkins is terrible, except she goes to the trouble of trying to spell out the reasons why in clearer language than most of the other attempts I've read.
I don't know about you, but Yemmi's "poetry" is much more devastating than just about any act of violence would be. #notallpoets
Because of Yemmifisting, even Blake gives me PTSD. #YesAllDoggerelSurvivors

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Old_ones wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:

Bah, she's frowning even when she smiles. Her smile reminds me of this:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1396467/thumb ... cebook.jpg

The crazy alarm bells would definitely be going off in my head, even if I didn't know about her shining personality from the internets.
I'm pretty sure I'm stealing this, but her face usually makes me think of Beeker:
http://skyranch.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... Beeker.jpg

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

jet_lagg wrote: I'll argue there's merit to it. That a fight is one-sided matters. As an analogy, if I take a wild swing at Anderson Silva, and he dodges it with effortless grace, it would be kind of fucked up for him to then break my arms and legs in retaliation.
On the other hand, if you were firing rockets at him and trying to tunnel into his back yard and you had been repeatedly swinging at him and trying to procure weapons to attack him with do you think he should just do nothing?
Thank you for demonstrating that analogies fail when pushed to their extreme ;)

And no, I wouldn't expect him to do nothing, but I also wouldn't expect him to, say acquire a technological superiority that guarantees his victory and then then kill refugees in a school near my house, or children playing on a local beach. Certainly, if he'd fucked up and done these things unintentionally (which I would assume is the case, since Silva doesn't seem to be a sociopath), I'd hope his supporters could at the very then stop acting so gleeful, and ask themselves just what it is they think Silva is accomplishing, and why they think it's worth the price.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

edit button :x

papillon

Post by papillon »

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... d9226f.jpg

Someone should steer her towards the ashes of the A+ asylum.
I'd pay good money to see all the preliminary privilege checking, the laying down of SJ credentials and the resulting one-upmanship shit-storm and banning/flounce that would follow.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

KiwiInOz wrote:That "waste" still contains the majority of its energy potential (>90% IIRC). Use the bloody stuff as fuel in an IFR rather than sticking it in a hole in the ground/digging up more uraniium.
IIRC, it's a potential future energy source, as the technology, behind the 2nd gen reactors envisioned to use the stuff, ain't very far advanced.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jet_lagg wrote:
jet_lagg wrote: I'll argue there's merit to it. That a fight is one-sided matters. As an analogy, if I take a wild swing at Anderson Silva, and he dodges it with effortless grace, it would be kind of fucked up for him to then break my arms and legs in retaliation.

And no, I wouldn't expect him to do nothing, but I also wouldn't expect him to, say acquire a technological superiority that guarantees his victory and then then kill refugees in a school near my house, or children playing on a local beach. Certainly, if he'd fucked up and done these things unintentionally (which I would assume is the case, since Silva doesn't seem to be a sociopath), I'd hope his supporters could at the very then stop acting so gleeful, and ask themselves just what it is they think Silva is accomplishing, and why they think it's worth the price.
Well, let me give an example that doesn't stretch your analogy. You see Anderson Silva and decide to shoot spitballs at him. He warns you to stop but you don't. For the sake of the analogy, the police can't get involved, since there's nothing analogous to police in the Israel/Hamas situation. He comes up to you and puts you in a very painful armbar and tells you he'll release it if you promise not to do it anymore. He warns you that if you do, he'll dislocate your elbow. Is he guilty of disproportional force? Or should he be limited to shooting spitballs back at you?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

KiwiInOz wrote: I saw oysters.
I saw fuzzy mold on oysters.

Or some sort of poxy discharge. Perhaps Surly Amy is now producing her artwork like that German gal with the paint eggs?

John D

Post by John D »

The Palestinians and Israelis will not stop fighting until one side or the other is wiped out. The Israelis are making the more rapid progress on this and are moving toward this bit by bit every time they make a new settlement. I just wish they would get this killing over with so I can go back to watching Andy Griffith re-runs. There is no two-state solution. There is only a one state solution where Israel eventually beats down every last Palestinian and all the land is settled. Then the Israelis will set up low rent shitty flats for the Palestinians and hire them to collect the garbage and rake the gravel streets. My real complaint is that this inevitable result is taking far to long. It is like watching for the inevitable bankruptcy of Detroit for forty years.

free thoughtpolice

jet_lagg wrote:

I don't think your first analogy was strong enough- hence needed improvement. :drool:
I don't entirely disagree with you. Israel does have some history of unjustified killing, such as intentionally shelling UN observers in a past war with Hezbollah, etc.
On the other hand, Hamas is setting things up so there is civilian casualties on their side. They are fully aware the only victory they can get now is in the war of public opinion and they love martyrdom. They want dead children and women for their propaganda.
I say a pox on both of their houses.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Pitchguest wrote:What is with the SJW and their inability to comprehend parallels?

If you refer to something as a 'witch hunt' that doesn't mean literally getting burnt at the stake, nor is 'lynch mob' a literal hanging. The FTB contingent has proven time and time again that they haven't figured out this simple concept and Ofie in one of her latest blog posts duly demonstrates that once more.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... re-afraid/
Oh dear. It’s really too bad that he included the “and I promise you I am not exaggerating” – because of course he is doing just that. No, they are not afraid of witch-hunts or hunts for blasphemers by inquisitions or incarnations of Orwell’s Thought Police. Saying that is, indeed, exaggeration. It’s the same kind of exaggeration as comparing feminists to Nazis or the Stasi.

They are afraid of noisy, vehement, harsh criticism. I get being afraid of that. It can be alarming and overwhelming to have a torrent of criticism dumped on you. Absolutely. But it still doesn’t tie you to a stake and set fire to a bunch of damp wood piled at your feet (damp to make it burn slowly and thus prolong the agony). It doesn’t lock you up or send you to a Gulag. It isn’t comparable to witch-hunts or inquisitions or Orwell’s Thought Police.
That's why they're called parallels, Ophelia! It's not fucking rocket science.
Didn't she just say something about rhetoric and the use of words? :doh:

sinister

Post by sinister »

matt cavanaugh,.BLOG MOAR! I'm not even sure that is merely a request, as hostages may be involved. :pray:

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Well, let me give an example that doesn't stretch your analogy. You see Anderson Silva and decide to shoot spitballs at him. He warns you to stop but you don't. For the sake of the analogy, the police can't get involved, since there's nothing analogous to police in the Israel/Hamas situation. He comes up to you and puts you in a very painful armbar and tells you he'll release it if you promise not to do it anymore. He warns you that if you do, he'll dislocate your elbow. Is he guilty of disproportional force? Or should he be limited to shooting spitballs back at you?
Well, the act would be illegal in America, and I agree it should be. He has other options, like filing a restraining order against me, which the police then could enforce. You did insert the no police condition, but I'd argue American and the UN are somewhat analogous to the police. We could quibble endlessly, about the effectiveness and ability to act of those "police", but that's where I'd have to bow out of the conversation and let someone with more expertise take over. As it stands, I kind of agree with John D.
John D wrote:The Palestinians and Israelis will not stop fighting until one side or the other is wiped out. The Israelis are making the more rapid progress on this and are moving toward this bit by bit every time they make a new settlement. I just wish they would get this killing over with so I can go back to watching Andy Griffith re-runs. There is no two-state solution. There is only a one state solution where Israel eventually beats down every last Palestinian and all the land is settled. Then the Israelis will set up low rent shitty flats for the Palestinians and hire them to collect the garbage and rake the gravel streets. My real complaint is that this inevitable result is taking far to long. It is like watching for the inevitable bankruptcy of Detroit for forty years.
Except that I don't think the Palestinians would stop fighting even after their state had been wiped off the earth. Maybe if the Israelis sent a massive occupying force, put up with the inevitable resistance and bombings for 30 years while the developing the infrastructure of the state, educating children, ensuring a good economy with lots of jobs is waiting for them at the other end, you would end up with a situation where the average Palestinian was about as sympathetic to Hamas as we are to the mob.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

another lurker wrote:Love Joy Feminism takes a swipe at Dawkins..
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfem ... -rape.html

I think she makes some interesting points...
Argument from anecdote. Sloppy thinking. Personal attacks and jackeling. Lost interest before I was half-way done.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

zenbabe wrote:....
Btw, would anyone recommend a particularly good cd/dvd/something featuring that kind of chanting?
This was really popular, to the point of making some in-roads into pop culture, 20 years ago and is still in circulation:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... SY450_.jpg

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Michael J wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Michael J wrote: Dawkins experiment and the #idontneedfeminism hash tag is hopefully showing a turning point. I wonder if Fuckwit is the only one who has picked up the change in mood and that explains her agreement with Dawkins and her recent flush of posts. If FTB Bloggers had any sense they would start jumping ship. Even if they wanted to remain SJW there are a lot of issues to report on without this constant witchhunting against people who they 99% agree with who aren't ideological pure.
Watson doesn't have much to go back to. Her main appeal seemed to be that she was a somewhat attractive atheist (she's not a particularly good writer, she's not much of an expert in anything, and her speaking is cringeworthy). Now that we have younger, more attractive, more pleasant to listen to atheists making videos, I don't see any real options for Watson beyond generating controversy.
I meant Benson as Fuckwit. Watson owns or part owns the Skepchick network. If she realises that she has no appetite to actually work (She has had some great opportunities). She should retire to behind the scenes and grow that Network. She can be like the Huffpo and not pay the writers and collect all profits
IIRC the writers at Skepchick are not paid anyway. She ran an ad or something to try to get writers, and the biggest "benefit" was exposure.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Eric Lévi's Era is not so bad either:

[youtube]OPanGWUdIz4[/youtube]

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

John D wrote:The Palestinians and Israelis will not stop fighting until one side or the other is wiped out. The Israelis are making the more rapid progress on this and are moving toward this bit by bit every time they make a new settlement. I just wish they would get this killing over with so I can go back to watching Andy Griffith re-runs. There is no two-state solution. There is only a one state solution where Israel eventually beats down every last Palestinian and all the land is settled. Then the Israelis will set up low rent shitty flats for the Palestinians and hire them to collect the garbage and rake the gravel streets. My real complaint is that this inevitable result is taking far to long. It is like watching for the inevitable bankruptcy of Detroit for forty years.
A one state solution is next to impossible. Palestinians would eventually have to become full voting citizens, and especially given that their birth rate is much higher than Israelis, there's not a chance in hell Israel would accept this situation. It needs to be a two state solution. While it may seem far off now it really isn't impossible. While Jordan and Egypt don't exactly have warm relations with Israel, they have functioning diplomatic relationships and since these would be bordering states with Palestine, it would smooth things. Putting my rose colored glasses on, I can see ISIS being beaten down, and seeing the danger of radical Islam, Iraq following the example of Turkey, with Syria joining in. With increasing economic development and the dying off of an older generation, Iran also may be able to join the modern world at some point. With this environment, it's easy to envision a stable two state solution.

On the other hand, that daisy cutter bomb example I gave earlier scares me. I think many if not most pathways from there lead to the eventual use of nuclear weapons.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Git wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Søren Lilholt wrote: Fuck, is anyone here not an INTP?!.
INTX.
INFP
INXS

[youtube]PrZZfaDp02o[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Damn! I've lost count of my posts, but I promise I'll make my 5000th very worthw...

Oh, shit!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

James Caruthers said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 61#p203261):
Does anyone think the FTBloggers will be willing to give enough ground to put the ideological clash behind them?
In general, I do not think they will, particularly in regard to the FC(n); however, as has been the case before, I would feel no surprise to see the occasional traitor leaving the wolf pack for cleaner, safer, saner grounds.

Post by Guest »

Linus

Post by Linus »

I used to like Myers-Briggs (I score INxP), but now I question its validity and scientific basis. Experiments have shown that a well written astrology profile written for nobody in particular will have almost everyone thinking "wow, this fits me so well!" With that in mind it's less impressive that people find their type descriptions match them well.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jet_lagg wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Well, the act would be illegal in America, and I agree it should be. He has other options, like filing a restraining order against me, which the police then could enforce. You did insert the no police condition, but I'd argue American and the UN are somewhat analogous to the police. We could quibble endlessly, about the effectiveness and ability to act of those "police", but that's where I'd have to bow out of the conversation and let someone with more expertise take over. As it stands, I kind of agree with John D.
Alright, I'll imagine the UN, or the US for that matter, were the allegorical police in this situation. Then insert the sentence "Silva complains to a police officer, who approaches you and tells you he deplores your actions, and then walks away". The situation is then the same.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Has anyone stopped to answer the question: just who are all these skeptics (sic) who want surlyramics of their astrology sign?
Because everybody needs to know which Golden Saint represents them.

http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/181/323/7 ... 81_770.jpg

Oh, the memories. Saint Seya was the shit back in my time as a youngling.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Linus wrote:I used to like Myers-Briggs (I score INxP), but now I question its validity and scientific basis. Experiments have shown that a well written astrology profile written for nobody in particular will have almost everyone thinking "wow, this fits me so well!" With that in mind it's less impressive that people find their type descriptions match them well.
I don't think that comparison holds. Astrology profiles are written to be very vague and elastic, not to mention flattering, so it's easy for people to agree with the descriptions. They use very similar techniques as cold reading. Myers-Briggs profiles have much more specificity and tend to be balanced rather than flattering. There's no way a strong INTP would look at a profile that differs by two categories and think it describes them.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Bah! Omega, Lost Canvas, Poseidon, Asgard, Golden Apple... Seen them all (almost);

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

John D wrote:
Everyone will have a very different list. I score Sarkesian relatively high for the same reason.... It is the big round earrings that get me.
I like the 60-year-old-Church-Lady eyebrows. I just can't help staring at them and wondering what she thinks about them... I mean, does she really think that "St. Louis Arch" style of eyebrows works? Is it a Canadian thing? Along with her plaid shirts and hoop earrings that could double as rabbit snares?

welch

Post by welch »

jet_lagg wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Git wrote:
nonsense. It would be kind of stupid for you to take a swing at someone when you're so unprepared for the possible consequences. Don't want to get your ass severely beaten in a fight? don't get in fights.

welch

Post by welch »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
TiBo wrote:
INTX.
INFP
ESXi

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

I'm finally all caught up, you prolific bastards.

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Has anyone stopped to answer the question: just who are all these skeptics (sic) who want surlyramics of their astrology sign?
The astrology part is less worrisome than paying for surlyramics.