Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
EdwardGemmer

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Skep tickle wrote:So this is mild, but an example.

PZ agrees w/ statement that "we have to be able to manage disagreement ethically, like reasonable adults, as opposed to brawling like enraged children who need a nap"....right after he called Ray Comfort a "special little child" (okay, "of God") under the tag "Kooks".

http://i.imgur.com/0xmmua9.png?2

Not that Comfort didn't exhibit a marked lack of awareness of reality in claiming there's no gravity in space. But there are more reasoned, adult ways of pointing that out, if doing so is felt to be warranted.
It is interesting to see they view this message as having nothing to do with their own practices.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Dude, that shit made her career, such as it is.

welch

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/4rmHH44.jpg

Satirical or demeaning?

Personally I have no problem with satire like this (making fun of Dawkins awkward tweets after his honey was confiscated on his way through customs.)

But if Dawkins has little sense of humor then he could just as well call it demeaning, couldn't he?
No, no, no, it's a woman mocking a man. That's always okay.

welch

Post by welch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:The rules are already being rewritten to suit them:

http://i.imgur.com/SiEaF94.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-826021

Didn't even last the day.

welch

Post by welch »

JayTeeAitch wrote:

There's no surprise.
Ophelia's new nickname then: fuckwit

Since it's not vulgar.

welch

Post by welch »

TiBo wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Dawkins has released a joint statement with oafie, which boils down to: lets agree to disagree, stop the shit slinging and work together.
Interesting how all the bad things listed are the things FTBers accuse others of; nothing is mentioned of all the bad things they do, like lying about people's motives, accusing people who disagree with them of misogyny/racism/sexism etc., libeling people by accusing them of rape, trying to ram their beliefs down the whole community's collective throat, relentless smear campaigns, bullying, etc. etc. etc.

Good job Dawkins. You fell for it! :roll:
It was a desperate attempt to pull themselves out of the hole they dug themselves into within the last weeks. And Dawkins was the only candidate victim for that stunt, since he always was rather clueless about the nefariousness of #FTBullies. It worked out well. Now they can tell themselves that they're really the good guys. That's ok. Mental derangement neccessarily creates suffering. I don't blame them for trying to soothe it.

But let's be clear:
That statement changes nothing at all. The next outrageous Dawkins Tweet is usually only a week or two away, and everything is going to fall back to the normal state of affairs. Within no time, he'll again be the old white male heteronormative oppressor he allegedly was for the last months and years ...

Plus, I heard the commentariat @ B&W express some hope that this joint statement would have some mildening effect on the slymepit. How so exactly ? Do they REALLY believe we need Dawkin's public encouragement to chase them and hold them accountable for their crimes again reason and humanity ? ... No ?
mild what? there's what, like four, five people from here who ever comment on their idiot blogs? if you don't read the 'pit, it pretty much ceases to exist.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

So, Dawkins is being accused of having multiple affairs and of being "sexually predatory" (which, to be fair could mean just about anything in Baboonese)...

...at age seventy-three.

All I have to say is... :clap:

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Since someone mentioned Minchin's Pope song, I've been meaning to post this. If you haven't already seen it, it's hilarious both as an indictment of the last pope and the Catholic Church in general, and a spot-on parody of rap videos. Go ahead and watch it then I have a question below.

[youtube]6TxjrHPHypA[/youtube]

Okay, now here's the question: how would everyone react if the pre-pubescent pole dancers were girls instead of boys?

Note: this is not meant as a set-up line for a bunch of Clarence jokes (not that that'll stop anyone).

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Gumby wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
furthermore
July 26, 2014 at 5:08 pm (UTC -7) Link to this comment
Will there be an apology forthcoming from Dawkins for knowingly and deliberately harming Rebecca Watson’s standing and career, both through action and years of inaction? Or does he not quite possess that much integrity?
WTF? :roll:
And how were Watson's activities diminished by Dawkins? If anything, she took his Dear Muslima post - which by all rights should have been looooooong forgotten - and used it as a launching pad to new heights of notoriety. Fuck me, these people are deluded.
Precisely. I'd never had heard of Watson, or many people at FTB, except that they railed against far more prominent figures.

didymos

Post by didymos »

I don't why they think everyone here is a rabid Dawkinsian. I like his science writing. Don't really follow what he does otherwise. The only times I really notice him is when the FTB twats go on a whinge-fest over some tweet of his.

didymos

Post by didymos »

I don't --> I don't know why

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

didymos wrote:I don't why they think everyone here is a rabid Dawkinsian. I like his science writing. Don't really follow what he does otherwise. The only times I really notice him is when the FTB twats go on a whinge-fest over some tweet of his.
I'm uncomfortable trying to psychoanalyze anyone over the internet, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think it has something to do with a black and white mindset a lot of SJW types have. Many people in their group can't separate a person's work from their statements on other matters. By way of example, I think Dawkins ideas about memes are fantastic, even if I think a lot of this atheist arguments are weak. And, even if it came to light tomorrow that Dawkins was a (to use the most terrible example I can think of) child rapist, his ideas about memes would still be good. To say otherwise is textbook genetic fallacy.

John D

Post by John D »

Gefan wrote:Since someone mentioned Minchin's Pope song, I've been meaning to post this. If you haven't already seen it, it's hilarious both as an indictment of the last pope and the Catholic Church in general, and a spot-on parody of rap videos. Go ahead and watch it then I have a question below.

Okay, now here's the question: how would everyone react if the pre-pubescent pole dancers were girls instead of boys?

Note: this is not meant as a set-up line for a bunch of Clarence jokes (not that that'll stop anyone).
Great video - thanks for posting. I am a bit surprised I haven't seen this before. I almost posted this on Facebook but then remembered my Catholic friend would get pissed at me. We have been friends for 35 years and his wife is dying from cancer. I try not to poke him in the eye.... it would be cruel and unnecessary.

Regarding the boys vs. girls question.... I think that the video would make no sense if you had little girls dancing. The whole idea is that some priests (10% by the current Popes count) are pedos.

John D

Post by John D »

jet_lagg wrote:
didymos wrote:I don't why they think everyone here is a rabid Dawkinsian. I like his science writing. Don't really follow what he does otherwise. The only times I really notice him is when the FTB twats go on a whinge-fest over some tweet of his.
I'm uncomfortable trying to psychoanalyze anyone over the internet, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think it has something to do with a black and white mindset a lot of SJW types have. Many people in their group can't separate a person's work from their statements on other matters. By way of example, I think Dawkins ideas about memes are fantastic, even if I think a lot of this atheist arguments are weak. And, even if it came to light tomorrow that Dawkins was a (to use the most terrible example I can think of) child rapist, his ideas about memes would still be good. To say otherwise is textbook genetic fallacy.
If I may psychoanalyze by internet.... I think that the problem is that SJWs think famous people should deserve to be famous because they are "good and nice and virtuous" people. You see this with Hollywood types and sports figures. People want to believe that anyone who becomes rich and famous really deserves it because they are "good" people.

It is not good enough that Tiger Woods is the best golfer in the world.... he also has to treat his woman with respect and be 100% faithful to her etc. It is the whole fame thing played out by atheists.... who really should know better... but don't.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I had a feeling this 'agreement' wouldn't last the day.
Svan has a post that sneeringly labels Dawkins as the 'King of Atheism' and even dismisses Elizabeth Cornwell, the highest profile woman scientist that has spoken at WISC, as a 'just-so-story-scientist'.
It looks like one of her typical hatchet jobs and was obviously written before Bensons agreement was publicised but Svan's actions make it clear that it's not going to affect how she operates.
She goes out of her way to lie through her teeth about Jaclyn Glenn, knowing that she's safe from correction since fact checking is viewed by the horde as a tool of the patriarchy.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140727030 ... s-matters/

didymos

Post by didymos »

Nope.

didymos

Post by didymos »

didymos

Post by didymos »

didymos

Post by didymos »

didymos

Post by didymos »

didymos

Post by didymos »

Beckybooze is S-M-R-T.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I had a feeling this 'agreement' wouldn't last the day.
Svan has a post that sneeringly labels Dawkins as the 'King of Atheism' and even dismisses Elizabeth Cornwell, the highest profile woman scientist that has spoken at WISC, as a 'just-so-story-scientist'.
It looks like one of her typical hatchet jobs and was obviously written before Bensons agreement was publicised but Svan's actions make it clear that it's not going to affect how she operates.
She goes out of her way to lie through her teeth about Jaclyn Glenn, knowing that she's safe from correction since fact checking is viewed by the horde as a tool of the patriarchy.

:clap: I have chuckled long and hard (insert penis joke here) today about that post of Meyers, in which he blithely accepted some ridiculous "news story" about a corpse lying underneath a cheap hotel's cheap bed for five years. Privileged fucking cunt he is, automatically believing that the kind of people who stayed in this room would never even notice the smell of a decaying body. Apart from that, it is funny as fuck that he bought into this fucking story created by some humorous website. I wonder who linked him to it, as unless he we was searching for articles about "dead bodies motel rooms how to hide?", it seems unlikely he would have landed on this by himself.

I believe that a trusted source sent him this link. Which means we're all fucked if he starts using these people as sources for stories about, let's say, sexual assault.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

A 16-17(?) year old girl tried to pick me up in a sandwich shop today. Eat your heart out Clarence.

(Seriously though this really is a high trust area so it was probably in all innocence when she asked me if I am going to the fireworks show later on tonight ... even if she did bring it up three times, invites to a community event should always be taken as simply that. An invitation to join a community event and nothing more).

This kind of stuff happens all the time. Example, last week while I was buying a Cloche in a cookware shop I got invited to a community barbecue (meaning free) even when I explained that I was from a different area.

I seriously seriously seriously like where I live. Seriously.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

didymos wrote:
I love these Twitter updates, thanks.

This one, I have to ask: is it real? Have you either Shooped it or fallen for a Shoop? I am stunned to the point of having to ask.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:5 mins into the aforementioned debate video and Ryan's still whining...
20 mins in and Ryan is a total prick who needs his cunt kicking in.They have a lot more patience than me. I could never do one of these debates without going tonto on gobshites like him.
Yep, it's a delight though. The feminist prick caught on video saying Jaclyn's only popular because she's a fit woman.
Can someone who has enacted the labor post the time when that happens?

didymos

Post by didymos »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
didymos wrote:

This one, I have to ask: is it real? Have you either Shooped it or fallen for a Shoop? I am stunned to the point of having to ask.
Nope. That's an unaltered, embedded tweet.

welch

Post by welch »

didymos wrote: Nope.
y'all, if a very small number of trans people weren't jerks, the rest of you would not be seen as jerks.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

welch

Post by welch »

Skep tickle wrote:[tweet]http://i.imgur.com/VtGpDC5.png?1[/tweet]
When it does fail, because of twats like that, Dawkins will be able to say "Welp, I tried."

and then move on and keep, you know, DOING stuff.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Haha, funny how fast the spin masters change their tune. Oolon is now sucking up to Dawkins, after how many years of (like the rest of FTB) treating him as a vile white supremacist rape machine?
Oolon will suck up to absolutely anyone who he thinks might pat him on the head. So that's no surprise. I just get huge lulz every time I see him scurrying frantically to play Chester to whomever happens to be the current Spike.
franc was - presumably still is - a cunt, but he was a lovely cunt who was way more often right than wrong.

Posting in memory of "Victor Ivanoff":

[youtube]UVNHcob3oJg[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Pitchguest wrote: I don't know whether he's trying to be Chester, or whether he's just generally likes being a contrarian. Even to people he disagrees with, if a person he disagrees with has an argument with another person he disagrees with more (or just plain dislike), if he sees the opportunity to serve some humblepie to the latter - even if it would give the other person a leg up - he would do it. Then again, he could be trying to have the cake and eat it, too.
Thanks for getting this right. Any time you want to take me up the council is fine with me...

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Gefan wrote:Since someone mentioned Minchin's Pope song, I've been meaning to post this. If you haven't already seen it, it's hilarious both as an indictment of the last pope and the Catholic Church in general, and a spot-on parody of rap videos. Go ahead and watch it then I have a question below.

I lost it at the boys pole dancing. :lol:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

It is heartening to know that at least some of them consider Dawkins to be re-educatable.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

didymos wrote:
didymos wrote:

Nope. That's an unaltered, embedded tweet.
Oh. :cry:

That is is an indicator of mental health problems. Best wishes to her in getting some treatment and resolution.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

JackSkeptic wrote:
If the Slympit did not exist they would have to invent it.

Nugent caught on to their tricks eventually. I doubt Dawkins will fall for them. By drawing a line he has set himself up perfectly to respond to the accusations and attacks he has been subject to for some time. The statement is neutral enough that those at FtB can claim some sort of Pyrrhic victory but as soon as they spew their usual poison he will have a solid basis to respond. The Slympit is irrelevant to all this outside the fake monster FtB makes us out to be. Considering we are just a handful of people I often find it incredible anyone gives a damn about what happens here. It is an indicator of how effective and pertinent some of our commentary is.
Our notability would be zilch if not for the fact that all cults need a satan figure and cannot tolerate any dissent.

James Caruthers

BarnOwl wrote:
furthermore
July 26, 2014 at 5:08 pm (UTC -7) Link to this comment
Will there be an apology forthcoming from Dawkins for knowingly and deliberately harming Rebecca Watson’s standing and career, both through action and years of inaction? Or does he not quite possess that much integrity?
WTF? :roll:
Okay wait, so now not actively shilling for Rebecca Watson counts as an offense against her? Why should Dawkins or anyone go out of their way to build up someone ELSE's career?

Talk about an entitled little shit.

James Caruthers

Dick Strawkins wrote:I had a feeling this 'agreement' wouldn't last the day.

IT'S OKAY WHEN WE DO IT

CTHULHU FTAGHN

James Caruthers

Skep tickle wrote:[tweet]http://i.imgur.com/VtGpDC5.png?1[/tweet]
Rethining = groveling, sniveling, becoming their toilet slave.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Beatrice, an amateur cynic looking for a happy thought with a pretentious fucking username:
PR staff got their hands on Dawkins. Nice.
Did they also ban him from using Twitter without supervision?
Right, because Dawkins is so totally the type to run his life based on what PR people say.

Satan

Post by Satan »

AndrewV69 wrote:(Seriously though this really is a high trust area so it was probably in all innocence when she asked me if I am going to the fireworks show later on tonight ... even if she did bring it up three times, invites to a community event should always be taken as simply that. An invitation to join a community event and nothing more).
Given how sketchy Vancouver's fireworks nights are, it's entirely possible she was trying to set you up for blackmail or a robbery.

If someone thinks everyone else around him is too trustworthy, he's probably the one being conned.

Satan

Post by Satan »

didymos wrote:

That is is an indicator of mental health problems. Best wishes to her in getting some treatment and resolution.
It's just the typical young feminist humblebrag: "I'm so beautiful I can have any man I want just by looking at him."

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Couple of points with regard to the statement.

1) it doesn't say shit, it was obviously penned by offie with her definitions in mind. I can guarantee you, Dawkins does not define harassment the same way as benson. As we've already seen, benson already considers herself the arbitrator of what is and what isn't a vulgar epithet. The devil is in the detail, and that's why the statement says fuck all.

2) Fftb are the laughing stock of the "atheist movement". So Dawkins offers them an olive branch, in order to get back to what the whole thing is supposed to be about. Fighting theism. It won't work, because fftb are not an atheist blog network, they've already hoisted their colours as being a SJW network that sees atheist activism as a side dish.

3) Dawkins speaks for Dawkins, he is atheist focused. That's his mission, so attempting to keep everyone onboard with the objective is good politics (the olive branch). It will be seen as a yielding, as has already been seen amongst the commentariats demand for his apology to go further. Lol.

4) glenns video was dawkins message! Glenn was calling out the divisive inanity of the SJW splitting the movement. Oaphie's reality doesn't see it like that, to her it's part of the "ongoing harassment". Wonder what Dawkins thinks of it. I can make a good guess.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Lulz:
Azkyroth Drinked the Grammar Too :)

27 July 2014 at 3:01 am (UTC -5)

Given recent events at Ophelia’s blog, I’m NOT sure her releasing a joint statement with Richard Dawkins is a step forward.

“Dear Translima…”

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Lsuoma wrote:Can someone who has enacted the labor post the time when that happens?
I think it starts around the 20 minute mark, maybe a bit before. Basically, listen to the first 5 minutes whine, then skip 10-15 mins where they're blathering on about the constitution and then you're good for the rest of it.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Satan wrote:
didymos wrote:

It's just the typical young feminist humblebrag: "I'm so beautiful I can have any man I want just by looking at him."
Yeah, that plus victim points for being "sexually harassed". Because, you know, men know how to read womens' minds and interpret vague eye signals perfectly, they just show up uninvited and rape them with small talk out of entitlement and unfocused malice.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:So this is mild, but an example.

PZ agrees w/ statement that "we have to be able to manage disagreement ethically, like reasonable adults, as opposed to brawling like enraged children who need a nap"....right after he called Ray Comfort a "special little child" (okay, "of God") under the tag "Kooks".

http://i.imgur.com/0xmmua9.png?2

Not that Comfort didn't exhibit a marked lack of awareness of reality in claiming there's no gravity in space. But there are more reasoned, adult ways of pointing that out, if doing so is felt to be warranted.
It is interesting to see they view this message as having nothing to do with their own practices.
Good to see that Dawkins retweeted this yesterday; notice it says bloggers:

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

didymos wrote:Beatrice, an amateur cynic looking for a happy thought with a pretentious fucking username:
PR staff got their hands on Dawkins. Nice.
Did they also ban him from using Twitter without supervision?
Right, because Dawkins is so totally the type to run his life based on what PR people say.
God they are such fucking idiots.

Beson: Let's release a joint statement
Dawkins: {Sigh} Yes! Great idea
Drafts go backwards and forwards then nothing from Dawkins
Ophelia put's up the post about it and points Dawkins towards it (possibly threatens to name Dawkins in the next post)
Dawkins reluctantly signs off

WTF has that got to do with Dawkins' PR? Beatrice you fucking idiot.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Wow, that's up there with Svan's "I did shut you down on that statement, yes" in its risible hypocrisy.

I'll Feel Yer Bensons has such an abject lack of self-awareness, doesn't she? :lol:

Still, it's at least helpful the fuckwit is happy with the word 'fuckwit', since otherwise I'd have to call her a cunt. And that would be vulgar.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

John Greg wrote:LOL. One commentor's opinion of the BenDawk Manifesto of Fudge, here's a beauty (logic- and proof-free, of course):
This tells me the slymers have gotten so bad that not even Dawkins can ignore it anymore.
link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-826041

:dance:
What is it exactly that these morons think 'Slymers' do? Eat babies?

And there was me thinking it was just a random forum of people taking the piss out of stuff.

It really is incredible what the credulous will allow themselves to believe, despite the fact contradictory evidence is hiding in plain sight. If any proof was needed that atheist =/= rational, this is it.

James Caruthers

didymos wrote:Lulz:
Azkyroth Drinked the Grammar Too :)

27 July 2014 at 3:01 am (UTC -5)

Given recent events at Ophelia’s blog, I’m NOT sure her releasing a joint statement with Richard Dawkins is a step forward.

“Dear Translima…”
Haha, I guess there's always the chance this could backfire and Oafie could become the new witch of the week for associating with Unperson Dawkins.

didymos

Post by didymos »

So some dude commented over at Canuck's. They don't like him, so of course, he's from here:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-826168

James Caruthers

didymos wrote:So some dude commented over at Canuck's. They don't like him, so of course, he's from here:

The constant mentions of a supposed pitter named James who isn't me was very triggering, you fecal baron. :snooty:
Skep tickle wrote:It is heartening to know that at least some of them consider Dawkins to be re-educatable.
The journey of a toilet slave begins with a single slap.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

didymos wrote:So some dude commented over at Canuck's. They don't like him, so of course, he's from here:

The follow-up comment:
opposablethumbs

27 July 2014 at 4:39 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Let me see … call for people to be harmed and discriminated against, using only “civil” language = not rude. Call for people NOT to be harmed or discriminated against, using some taboo words = rude.

They really don’t get it, do they.
The only place I've seen people calling for others to be harmed is during the regular FTB witchhunts when they attempt to dox their opponents or try to impact on their opponents jobs by asking their employers to fire them.
I haven't seen any calls for discrimination - unless you include Myers attempts to have ERV and various other pitters blacklisted from conventions.

Naturally, the idea that rude words may be outlawed, is not going down well with the horde.
This is similar to Dan Finske's civility pledge from a year or two back that was rejected out of hand because it deprived the horde of their main weapon - the ability to fling insults at anyone they wanted.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Gumby wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Dawkins has released a joint statement with oafie, which boils down to: lets agree to disagree, stop the shit slinging and work together.
Interesting how all the bad things listed are the things FTBers accuse others of; nothing is mentioned of all the bad things they do, like lying about people's motives, accusing people who disagree with them of misogyny/racism/sexism etc., libeling people by accusing them of rape, trying to ram their beliefs down the whole community's collective throat, relentless smear campaigns, bullying, etc. etc. etc.

Good job Dawkins. You fell for it! :roll:
I don't get it.
I can't even.
It's impossible that he doesn't know who he's dealing with, isn't it? Is he unaware of their continued defamation of Shermer? Did he not see Ophie and Pizzle and the Zvanatee go after Lindsay's job? Is he clueless about Radford? Is he unaware of the BlockBot?

He must be aware at least of their attacks on himself, right?

Why on earth did he go for this.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Gumby wrote:
Michael J wrote: I agree with everybody else that FTB needs this more than Dawkins.
That's the thing - Dawkins had no reason, absolutely no reason at all to do this. He didn't need this at all, so why he did this puzzles me - especially since he's well aware of the poison that drips from FreethoughtBlogs. He should, anyway - he's been on the receiving end of their bile often enough.

Maybe he just felt like making a gesture because he thought it would help the online atheist community somehow. But he should have realized he was walking into their agenda, not an actual honest attempt at a "healing accord".

We found out at Nugent's how FtB treats attempts at mending fences. No reason to think anything's different now. One thing's for sure - FtB isn't going to change. So why should anyone else?
It seems pretty clear that Dawkins was schooled by OB on how he was aligning with the haters and "wouldn't you like to clear the air?"

Dawkins has proved himself very naive on the schism. He fell into Muslima with eyes wide open, it was only yesterday that he learnt the term SJW, Nugent has had to go into bat for him. He has no idea of the context around this invitation. As a schism fighter he makes a great biologist.

Post by Guest »

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

zenbabe wrote:
I don't get it.
I can't even.
It's impossible that he doesn't know who he's dealing with, isn't it? Is he unaware of their continued defamation of Shermer? Did he not see Ophie and Pizzle and the Zvanatee go after Lindsay's job? Is he clueless about Radford? Is he unaware of the BlockBot?

The part of the statement that we know was written by Dawkins:
"Richard adds: I’m told that some people think I tacitly endorse such things even if I don’t indulge in them. Needless to say, I’m horrified by that suggestion. Any person who tries to intimidate members of our community with threats or harassment is in no way my ally and is only weakening the atheist movement by silencing its voices and driving away support."
sounds like he was told by Benson that there is a widespread opinion that he is behind or is endorsing rape and death threats being made against feminist atheist women.
Of course that notion is ridiculous but it is entirely likely that Benson said that to him.
It is usual for them to make that kind of claim on their blogs and comment section. Pitters are regularly accused of using this site to plan rape or death threat campaigns against SJWs despite the fact that such behavior would immediately get this site closed down and have the perpetrators arrested.

I'm guessing Dawkins motivation was simply to distance himself from that particular charge because once Benson has made the accusation directly to Dawkins he is kind of obliged to deny it (otherwise he risks his silence being taken as a tacit agreement.)

The first part of the joint agreement:
It’s not news that allies can’t always agree on everything. People who rely on reason rather than dogma to think about the world are bound to disagree about some things.

Disagreement is inevitable, but bullying and harassment are not. If we want secularism and atheism to gain respect, we have to be able to disagree with each other without trying to destroy each other.

In other words we have to be able to manage disagreement ethically, like reasonable adults, as opposed to brawling like enraged children who need a nap.
is fairly meaningless - nobody is going to say it's a good idea to behave like brawkins enraged children rather than adults.

The critical part:
It should go without saying, but this means no death threats, rape threats, attacks on people’s appearance, age, race, sex, size, haircut; no photoshopping people into demeaning images, no vulgar epithets.
as I've said before, is what is meant by 'demeaning' and what is meant by 'vulgar epithets'.
I generally avoid using swear words in these situation because it provides ammunition for those who wish to derail the debate into how offended they are that they got accused of being referred to as an object rather than a person (which is what most vulgar insults do - they liken the target to a thing - asshole, dick, piece of shit etc.)
I fail to see how the SJW branch of the horde are going to refrain from using vulgar insults.
Ophelia clearly views "vulgar epithets" as having a ringfenced meaning - basically her own idiosyncatic take on the meanings of the words "cunt" and "twat" as being epithets that refer to all woman in the kind of way that a gangsta rapper song might use the word 'bitches'.
She has already said that it's fine to use the word fuckwit because it's not an epithet (she's wrong - the dictionary clearly defines epithet as meaning an insult of that type) and she even says it's not vulgar!

Really?

I'd love to see her try to use 'fuckwit' on a mainstream news program, even if she is talking about people, like ISIS, the Taliban, or some of these fundamentalists that picket funerals or abortion clinics, that deserve the label.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
zenbabe wrote:
I don't get it.
I can't even.

The part of the statement that we know was written by Dawkins:
"Richard adds: I’m told that some people think I tacitly endorse such things even if I don’t indulge in them. Needless to say, I’m horrified by that suggestion. Any person who tries to intimidate members of our community with threats or harassment is in no way my ally and is only weakening the atheist movement by silencing its voices and driving away support."
sounds like he was told by Benson that there is a widespread opinion that he is behind or is endorsing rape and death threats being made against feminist atheist women.
Of course that notion is ridiculous but it is entirely likely that Benson said that to him.
It is usual for them to make that kind of claim on their blogs and comment section. Pitters are regularly accused of using this site to plan rape or death threat campaigns against SJWs despite the fact that such behavior would immediately get this site closed down and have the perpetrators arrested.

I'm guessing Dawkins motivation was simply to distance himself from that particular charge because once Benson has made the accusation directly to Dawkins he is kind of obliged to deny it (otherwise he risks his silence being taken as a tacit agreement.)

The first part of the joint agreement:
It’s not news that allies can’t always agree on everything. People who rely on reason rather than dogma to think about the world are bound to disagree about some things.

Disagreement is inevitable, but bullying and harassment are not. If we want secularism and atheism to gain respect, we have to be able to disagree with each other without trying to destroy each other.

In other words we have to be able to manage disagreement ethically, like reasonable adults, as opposed to brawling like enraged children who need a nap.
is fairly meaningless - nobody is going to say it's a good idea to behave like brawkins enraged children rather than adults.

The critical part:
It should go without saying, but this means no death threats, rape threats, attacks on people’s appearance, age, race, sex, size, haircut; no photoshopping people into demeaning images, no vulgar epithets.
as I've said before, is what is meant by 'demeaning' and what is meant by 'vulgar epithets'.
I generally avoid using swear words in these situation because it provides ammunition for those who wish to derail the debate into how offended they are that they got accused of being referred to as an object rather than a person (which is what most vulgar insults do - they liken the target to a thing - asshole, dick, piece of shit etc.)
I fail to see how the SJW branch of the horde are going to refrain from using vulgar insults.
Ophelia clearly views "vulgar epithets" as having a ringfenced meaning - basically her own idiosyncatic take on the meanings of the words "cunt" and "twat" as being epithets that refer to all woman in the kind of way that a gangsta rapper song might use the word 'bitches'.
She has already said that it's fine to use the word fuckwit because it's not an epithet (she's wrong - the dictionary clearly defines epithet as meaning an insult of that type) and she even says it's not vulgar!

Really?

I'd love to see her try to use 'fuckwit' on a mainstream news program, even if she is talking about people, like ISIS, the Taliban, or some of these fundamentalists that picket funerals or abortion clinics, that deserve the label.
"brawkins"?
Where did that come from? :D
It brings to mind an enraged petulant baby Dawkins.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

didymos wrote:
Does this cunt EVER have an opinion that isn't utterly retarded?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Dick Strawkins wrote: She has already said that it's fine to use the word fuckwit because it's not an epithet (she's wrong - the dictionary clearly defines epithet as meaning an insult of that type) and she even says it's not vulgar!

Really?

"Fuckwit" is the same as saying "moron" or "idiot," a person with reduced intellectual capacity, no matter how much SJW bullshit they try to cloud it with.