Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Matt Cavanaugh

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

NotEvenFalse wrote: One would think this type of thing would be self-evident, but apparently not. I wonder how this type of pressure affects academic research. Do people who attempt to research this from a psychological or pharmacological perspective meet resistance in academic circles?
In the field, there's three camps. One extreme, like the guy up at McGill?, who forces all young clients to act & play & dress like their genetic sex. (Blanking on his name, but controversially, he was tapped to head the DSM V team on transgender.) At the other extreme, SJ therapists pushing reassignment at ever earlier ages. In the middle, care providers following the WPATH SoC, by encouraging clients to explore all gender options without committing to any, then often using puberty-delaying hormone treatment to give them more time to sort it out, and to make reassignment more 'realistic' if that's the ultimate step.

As for lay activists, it's mostly the whacko SJWs vs. the whacko religious conservatives, combining to drown out any sane voices of moderation. Much of the trans* activism, btw, is conducted by cis* folk.

This may be the most insidious part of this whole thing. We now have to force our understanding of reality to correspond to people's delusions. I'm incredibly sympathetic to these people. I can only imagine a scenario like waking up to find my genitals were missing. I'd probably want to kill myself. I can't fathom the type of distress they must suffer. None of this, however, gives them a podium to dictate how we should understand the world.
I'd suggest steering clear of the term "delusion", even though I get your specific context here. Even "gender dysphoria" or "dysphasia" are now
streng_verboten.jpg
(10.51 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

Whatever the terminology, it's clearly a rare condition that can cause a great deal of anguish to the individual. That we ought to treat them with compassion, and engage our faculties to provide a solution, should go without saying. But part of an effective response involves understanding the origins & causes. SJW dogma forbids such lines of inquiry.
It gets even worse. In the more extreme circles, they are now declaring that biological sex is merely a social construct that can take on myriad different forms. It takes someone very special to try to completely detach biological sex from the mechanisms of sexual reproduction.
Have you met our dear old friend, HJ Hornbeck?

You also might enjoy my post on The Gender Spectrum.

NotEvenFalse

Post by NotEvenFalse »

Clarence wrote:Well, the problem with our comfortable binary is the very real example of 'intersex'. Relatively rare as it is (and sterile too, at least as far as we know) "Male" and "Female" does not describe every one of us. In English, I don't even think we have pronouns that indicate the existence of such a person. Certainly they are overlooked socially and medically the vast majority of the time and they are just as subject to persecution as any of the SJW 'trans' people.
Well, the term intersex covers a range people. Many of these people can fairly easily be placed into the sex binary. There are examples of proper hermaphrodites (to whom I suspect you are alluding). While in a sense these people aren't male or female, the topic becomes slightly clearer when it's recognized that pretty much every condition that fits under the intersex label is a pathology. True hermaphrodism is a pathology in which an organism simultaneously has both sexual characteristics. While it doesn't "fit" into the sex binary, it is still defined by it.

NotEvenFalse

Post by NotEvenFalse »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:In the field, there's three camps. One extreme, like the guy up at McGill?, who forces all young clients to act & play & dress like their genetic sex. (Blanking on his name, but controversially, he was tapped to head the DSM V team on transgender.) At the other extreme, SJ therapists pushing reassignment at ever earlier ages. In the middle, care providers following the WPATH SoC, by encouraging clients to explore all gender options without committing to any, then often using puberty-delaying hormone treatment to give them more time to sort it out, and to make reassignment more 'realistic' if that's the ultimate step.
That's unfortunate. At least there is hope in that the whole field isn't completely unilaterally politicized.
I'd suggest steering clear of the term "delusion", even though I get your specific context here. Even "gender dysphoria" or "dysphasia" are now
I understand your concern and appreciate that you're offering this in good faith, but I must let you know I generally don't cede to requests like this unless the terminology really interferes with logical discourse.
Whatever the terminology, it's clearly a rare condition that can cause a great deal of anguish to the individual. That we ought to treat them with compassion, and engage our faculties to provide a solution, should go without saying. But part of an effective response involves understanding the origins & causes. SJW dogma forbids such lines of inquiry.
Agreed on all counts.
Have you met our dear old friend, HJ Hornbeck?

You also might enjoy my post on The Gender Spectrum.
Can't say I'm familiar with Hornbeck. I think someone else mentioned them. I'll look into the links. Thanks.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:If there's no such thing as men and women as distinct biological entities, why do MtF trans want so desperately to be considered total, 100% feminine women?

Maybe the SJWs should be peoplesplaining to the trans community that sexual dimorphism doesn't exist. Penises and scrotums can be feminine, doncha know!
The bigger question is if there's no such thing as men and women what the fuck is feminism?
Feminism just means equality for women! men! Vaginas, ovaries and wombs can be masculine too!

Using Hjornbeckian logic, I have proven that feminism is a Men's Rights organization and therefore a hate movement. :snooty:

Although he would probably argue that men and women don't really exist because men are testosterone-damaged retarded women, or perhaps that men and women are merely social constructs and it is the social construct which is being oppressed by the other social construct because patriarchy.

James Caruthers

Clarence wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Yes, our own Dr. Hjornbot loves to compare belief in sexual dimorphism to belief in unicorns.

He's She's a brilliant man woman, our Dr. Hjornbeck.
James, you are fucking BRILLIANT.
You've just solved 'proportional representation' in one blow.
All we have to do is assign some of the 'men' in various political and economic positions or employment occupations as women!

Why didn't the feminists think of that?
Male problem solving ability (with no disrespect to our special beautiful snowflake Abby ;) intended) to the rescue!
Starting from now, all major CEOs, company chairpeople, managers and people who make a three-digit salary identify as female.

As a result, new statistics show women dominate every field everywhere. The added benefit is that feminists no longer will feel compelled to shove women into STEM careers they have no interest in, or to lie to women about the reality of needing to make a commitment to either family or career fairly early on in life. The glass ceiling has been busted, women now control the world, and I did it all by typing words on an internet forum.

Problem, feminists? 8-)

James Caruthers

6-figure salary, not 3-digit.

I might be the greatest feminist of all time as of now, but even I can't catch all my mistakes.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Skep tickle wrote:
"People shouldn't harm other people*. This includes, but is not limited to, raping or murdering other people, falsely accusing them of crimes including sexual assault, and keeping their children from them or turning their children against them."

*Aside from limited specific circumstances including self-defense from a physical attack, proportionate response to prevent harm to another person, or perhaps war (within limits). We could argue about this if anyone likes. Of course, we could argue about everything. :)

I come from the "Use of Deadly Force is Authorized" school which boils down to "to prevent death or serious bodily harm to yourself or another." And not because the subject was acting like an idiot or 'crazy.' That's 'intermediate force' which is the amount necessary to restrain the individual.

That's why I get pissed when read about cops shooting unarmed homeless people or the equivalent then getting free passes from DAs, juries, the Courts, etc.. I know there are judgement calls, but too many times bad judgement, and I mean obviously bad judgement, doesn't get punished.

didymos

Post by didymos »

NotEvenFalse wrote: True hermaphrodism is a pathology in which an organism simultaneously has both sexual characteristics. While it doesn't "fit" into the sex binary, it is still defined by it.
Lots of species are naturally hermaphroditic, so it's not always a pathology.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Another unasked question is: How many of these trans* SJW types are affecting their gender identities. People like Grimalkin, Simpleflower, Gestalt Halffish, Setar et al have donned first the title 'bi' then 'queer' then 'genderqueer.' (I believe that is the declension but their obfuscation of the language is now so complete I can no longer be sure that what i mean is what i am saying) Each of these titles sequentially pushing them further down the 'social justice' ladder. Whilst actually elevating them to 'almost perfect victim status' within their own rareified and usually well appointed and wealthy clique.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Walter Ego wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:Also, Walter Ego is one of the funniest people on here.
I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately not everyone knows when I'm being serious and when I'm not (like that Gary person who's been stalking me recently). That's been the bain of my existence since I went online way back in 1997. But that's my cross to bear and I soldier on valiantly.
Did 'Gary' stalk EllenBeth Wachs?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

James Caruthers wrote:
Clarence wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Yes, our own Dr. Hjornbot loves to compare belief in sexual dimorphism to belief in unicorns.

He's She's a brilliant man woman, our Dr. Hjornbeck.
James, you are fucking BRILLIANT.
You've just solved 'proportional representation' in one blow.
All we have to do is assign some of the 'men' in various political and economic positions or employment occupations as women!

Why didn't the feminists think of that?
Male problem solving ability (with no disrespect to our special beautiful snowflake Abby ;) intended) to the rescue!
Starting from now, all major CEOs, company chairpeople, managers and people who make a three-digit salary identify as female.

As a result, new statistics show women dominate every field everywhere. The added benefit is that feminists no longer will feel compelled to shove women into STEM careers they have no interest in, or to lie to women about the reality of needing to make a commitment to either family or career fairly early on in life. The glass ceiling has been busted, women now control the world, and I did it all by typing words on an internet forum.

Problem, feminists? 8-)
Fuck me, even I made four digits last year. THE PAY GAP IS REAL!!

acathode

Post by acathode »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
dogen wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: 2) Zinnia specifically annoys the hell out of me because ze: is so obviously an XY male with male anatomy; has done little or nothing to physically transition, other than growing long hair, getting a trans* tattoo, and altering zir tenor
Going to have to correct you on this one. Zinna has been undergoing hormone therapy, hence her 'breasts'. Moreover, I read a couple of months ago that she is planning to undergo an orchiectomy (remove the berries, leave the twig).
Thanks for the correction. Hope that makes ZInnia happier (though there's a very high co-morbidity of mental health issues with trans*ism, & reassignment is no panacea). Still won't help much in the passing dept.

Which brings me back to my two main gripes about how SJWs approach trans*. If an adult or pubescent teen is certain they are the opposite gender, then reassignment is the way to go. But SJWs, based on their evidence-free dogma, insist that a trans* is a trans* when xe hits the ground. So they push for reassigning children as young as three. This conflicts directly with the WPATH Standards of Care recc. that Zinnia goes on about, because gender identity can often in be flux among young children, but usually sorts itself out on its own.

Also, per SJW "at-birth" dogma, any contemplation, that a trans* identity might develop at least in part from environmental influences, is taboo. So, any treatment path which might lead to reconciling one's gender identity with one's physical identity (instead of the other way around), is declared evil. But consider: one small study found a higher prevalence of MtF among members of homophobic cultures. Based on interviews, it seems some of these MtFs, observing that 'only women can be attracted to men', concluded that they needed to be women. For them, at least, counseling to help them accept their male, homosexual identity would have been the way to go.

With any other issue (obesity, for example) the least invasive option would be tried first (changing diet, routines, etc.) before the invasive / surgical (lipo, stomach stapling.) Thanks to dogma, with trans*, the invasive (hormones, surgery) has become pretty much the one & only option.

Finally, SJWs have shifted the goalposts. Instead of just demanding society accept trans* people without discrimination, we must now pretend an MtF is a "woman" just the same as an XX female is. And, per Dana Hunter, want to fuck them. That's against human nature, and it ain't gonna happen. They can have an "F" on their IDs, but the "Mt-" will always be there to some extent.
I kinda wonder, has there been any pushback against the SJWs from the actual trans people? The whole "gender is just a social construct"-thing has to grate on them somewhere?

I know there has been some annoyance in the Swedish HBT community against the typical SJWs trying to co-opt the whole thing for their own political agenda, esp. when the SJWs started harassing gay people in the pride parade because they were "evil" people according to the leftist SJW dogma (ie. they were openly gay policemen and soldiers), or when some pride-parade organizers decided that the only political parties allowed to participate in the parade were left-leaning parties. There's also been "people's courts" held at various pride parades against people who work with immigration and immigrants, and a showing of a documentary "Mom and Dad, I have something to tell you" was canceled because they though the security risk was to big. Why? Nothing to do with the content of the documentary. It was solely because the creator was from Israel (which is a country the Swedish leftists hate almost as much as they hate USA).

This lead to some people suggesting that the HBTQ movement should just drop the Q for "Queer", because from their POV the "Queers" were mainly leftist extremists/political activists who didn't really give a shit about actual HBT-people or issues, instead they just wanted another vehicle for their own politics, and actually tried to bully actual homo/bi/transsexual people who didn't agree with their politics out of the movement. (Sounds familiar?)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Brive1987 wrote:
I'm sure there is a box of Dox somewhere ....
Could be and I'll adjust, or not adjust, my opinion as additional facts come in. But right now the reason seems to be either the embezzlement, for which she was blameless. And, what I mean by blameless is that it is the responsibility of the controller/accounting department to set up proper internal controls and review all of those credit card charges.

Simply put, internal controls over finances are the purvey of the accounting department and there is no reason to believe a non-accountant could really make an adequate set of controls. There is also no reason to believe the CEO would have the time to review every charge and reconcile them. (Whereas it's a function of the accounting department and they should.)

OTOH, the fact that there has been assertions of conflicts and issues surrounding turf-wars between members of the board and her seems to be more credible. This is the exact kind of crap that happens and festers until an excuse comes along and someone is booted.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

James Caruthers wrote:6-figure salary, not 3-digit.

I might be the greatest feminist of all time as of now, but even I can't catch all my mistakes.
Wrong answer.
The right answer is:
"I might be the greatest feminist of all time as of now, but even I can't stop the patriarchy from forcing the wrong words into my communication."

Linus

Post by Linus »

Parody Accountant wrote:Other stories you may have missed:

http://i.imgur.com/AH5n6vP.jpg
I hate when people are cruel to animals. They should have killed some fish and chickens for that poor cat to eat.
Give this guy a hi-five, but then wash your hands.

http://i.imgur.com/T3La8vM.jpg
A true hero.

welch

Post by welch »

James Caruthers wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:If there's no such thing as men and women as distinct biological entities, why do MtF trans want so desperately to be considered total, 100% feminine women?

Maybe the SJWs should be peoplesplaining to the trans community that sexual dimorphism doesn't exist. Penises and scrotums can be feminine, doncha know!
The bigger question is if there's no such thing as men and women what the fuck is feminism?
Feminism just means equality for women! men! Vaginas, ovaries and wombs can be masculine too!

Using Hjornbeckian logic, I have proven that feminism is a Men's Rights organization and therefore a hate movement. :snooty:

Although he would probably argue that men and women don't really exist because men are testosterone-damaged retarded women, or perhaps that men and women are merely social constructs and it is the social construct which is being oppressed by the other social construct because patriarchy.
Someone should point out to him that if there's no such thing as a difference between sex or gender, then there's no possible way for any form of sex discrimination to exist.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Someone should point out to him that if there's no such thing as a difference between sex or gender, then there's no possible way for any form of sex discrimination to exist.
When has something such flimsy as logic gotten in the way TRUE SOCIAL JUSTICEtm?

The real SJWs' plan, despite what they claim, isn't to fight inequality. It's to create a new privileged class of people whose opinions matter more than the others, that have to cared for by everyone else and that can do whatever they want, consequences be damned. This privileged class, of course, is the SJW themselves.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Kirbmarc wrote:The real SJWs' plan, despite what they claim, isn't to fight inequality.
This assumes they actually know what they're doing.

NotEvenFalse

Post by NotEvenFalse »

didymos wrote:Lots of species are naturally hermaphroditic, so it's not always a pathology.
Interesting point. At first this actually struck me as a fairly superficial comment, but upon reflection is actually important. In this case, I inverted an error common among the SJWs. Their insanity often arises from their neurotic obsession with their all too human selves. That is, they are so obsessed with the social dynamics of various phenomena, they fail to see the larger picture. In this case, I took a look at the larger picture but ignored relevant details. So, thank you.

Nevertheless, it's still pathological in humans.
acathode wrote:This lead to some people suggesting that the HBTQ movement should just drop the Q for "Queer", because from their POV the "Queers" were mainly leftist extremists/political activists who didn't really give a shit about actual HBT-people or issues, instead they just wanted another vehicle for their own politics, and actually tried to bully actual homo/bi/transsexual people who didn't agree with their politics out of the movement. (Sounds familiar?)
This, unfortunately, is far too rampant. It's perhaps the socio-political problem of our time. Pretty much every Western movement reaches a certain critical mass where it's eventually overrun by people who destroy it from within.

I'm conflicted as to whether I should elaborate or not. My politics are (relatively) far right, and I wouldn't want to introduce petty political disputes. Skepticism should trump politics.

James Caruthers

welch wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: Feminism just means equality for women! men! Vaginas, ovaries and wombs can be masculine too!

They already have you covered, Welch. I mentioned it in the post you quoted. They claim that belief in the social construct of men and women causes sexist discrimination, but that in reality of course, there's no such thing as human sexual dimorphism and therefore "men" and "women" are purely a matter of how you choose to identify, irrespective of biology. So if only more people would spread their enlightened SJW belief that semen is feminine and wombs are manly, there would be no discriminatory practices anywhere and this planet would become a utopia. There's plenty of room at Peezus Christ's table, Welch. Stop denying him just because you love to sin. :snooty:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Not really Pit relevant but fuck you:

When I was in first grade, living in San Francisco, one of the coolest things that happened was they day they brought farm animals to the school and showed stuff like 'how to milk a cow.' Funny thing is, there was no sticking your hand up the cow's lady-parts involved. Not even once.

And that also went for the nanny goats, which they also milked.

Plus, you don't ever stick your hand in the cow's uterus to do AI. You either do a straight cervical AI:

http://www.infonet-biovision.org/res/re ... 00x400.png

Or you do the more effective Rectal/Cervix method where put your arm up her ass so you feel the end of the AI wand with your fingers through the wall of the rectum and place it (the wand) at the back-end of the cervix.

But you just don't shove your hand up her hoo-hoo.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

NotEvenFalse wrote: It gets even worse. In the more extreme circles, they are now declaring that biological sex is merely a social construct that can take on myriad different forms. It takes someone very special to try to completely detach biological sex from the mechanisms of sexual reproduction.
Ah, memories...

This nonsense got a free pass over at FTB from PZ Myers himself because it was one of their own (HJ Hornbeck) who spouted it.
Scented Nectar wrote: Reading that nostalgically put this in my head... :)
[youtube]yF-tpXvh7ks[/youtube]
So fucking good.
NotEvenFalse wrote:My politics are (relatively) far right
Die in a fire.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

NotEvenFalse wrote: I'm conflicted as to whether I should elaborate or not. My politics are (relatively) far right, and I wouldn't want to introduce petty political disputes. Skepticism should trump politics.
Most people here align on the Left. We have way too few Right wingers if you ask me.

Anyway, I dunno if you are expecting a fight over politics or not but so far when people get really passionate it is over things like bread, pocket knives, screwdrivers vs hammers, dual wielding, LARPing, tattoos and other really important stuff like that.

Guestus Aurelius

Don't forget thumb over fretboard, AndrewV69.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

NotEvenFalse wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/blackskepti ... ypocrites/

This is a fascinating article that doesn't appear to have been covered by anybody. The author has a series of "egregious stats" pertaining to African-Americans in STEM fields. They are underrepresented, and their numbers are apparently in decline.

This quote from a social justice warrior is just great.
As Level Playing Field founder Freada Kapor Klein notes in a recent L.A. Times article on diversity in SV, “Silicon Valley’s obsession with meritocracy is delusional and aspirational and not a statement of how it really operates,” she said. “Unless someone wants to posit that intelligence is not evenly distributed across genders and race, there has to be some systematic explanation for what these numbers look like.”
This is great for a number of reasons. First of all, the structure of her statement lies on a brilliant false dichotomy. Either society is racist and sexist, or YOU ARE. Or: if you don't agree with me, you are racist and sexist.

Second, this part:
Unless someone wants to posit that intelligence is not evenly distributed across genders and race
Intelligence ISN'T evenly distributed across genders and race. The average IQ for African-Americans is a standard deviation below that of Caucasian-Americans, which in turn is about 5 or so points below that of Asian-Americans. Male IQ distribution has greater variance than female IQ distribution. IQ highly correlates with the types of abstract reasoning skills necessary to excel in STEM fields.

Of course, the elephant in the room she fails to mention is the fact that African-American culture has a not insignificant hostility to formal education. I'm sure that's white people's fault, though.

I know the people here normally attack feminists, but this shit shouldn't slide either.
I agree to some extent, but I'm not sure the IQ thing is even relevant. Obviously intelligence will influence your probability of succeeding in a STEM field, but you don't get a degree or a job for being smart. You get a degree because you payed lots of money to a college, and then you worked your ass off studying difficult material that many people find boring (IFuckingLoveScience notwithstanding). So there is a motivation and interest component here that is not being discussed. To me that seems important given that STEM is hard, and a lot of the fields encompassed by STEM aren't necessarily an easy ticket into a high paying career.

Personally I find the ethnic composition of my graduate program (in chemistry) pretty revealing. I have had plenty of colleagues in my program who are either African or African Caribbean, but the number of African Americans has been vanishingly small, and none of the African Americans have actually progressed to a degree*, whereas the a lot of the African non-Americans have. That suggests to me that this isn't a race vs. intelligence issue, unless ~300 years is enough time for a new race to form.**

*Although one of them applied to medical school and seems to be doing very well with that.
**Admittedly I don't have stats on this, so I'm not claiming this conclusion has the weight of a scientific study or anything.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Most people here align on the Left. We have way too few Right wingers if you ask me.
I'm kind of Right wing-y myself on many is issues (federal budget, taxes, etc.) although I'm mostly a Centrist-Libertarian hybrid (basically, I want a smaller role for government in most areas, but I'm not completely against some intervention in others, mostly healthcare rules and some educational standards). Left and Right have different meanings in different countries, though. The American Religious Right has no equivalent in the UK, for example. The closest thing they have is probably the UKIP, but there are too many differences to say they're one and the same.

At the same time many European Center-Right and Right wing parties have policies that are closer to the Democrats than to the Republican. And everything is further complicated by some parties and some political positions that don't exactly fit within the Left-Right spectrum.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Tribble wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Not really Pit relevant but fuck you:

When I was in first grade, living in San Francisco, one of the coolest things that happened was they day they brought farm animals to the school and showed stuff like 'how to milk a cow.' Funny thing is, there was no sticking your hand up the cow's lady-parts involved. Not even once.

And that also went for the nanny goats, which they also milked.

Plus, you don't ever stick your hand in the cow's uterus to do AI. You either do a straight cervical AI:

Or you do the more effective Rectal/Cervix method where put your arm up her ass so you feel the end of the AI wand with your fingers through the wall of the rectum and place it (the wand) at the back-end of the cervix.

But you just don't shove your hand up her hoo-hoo.
Yup up the bum. By preference. And for Pregnancy and Fertility exams. You can see the ovaries much more clearly with a scanner rectally. Still amazing to watch our vet do 80% of it by touch, then confirm with a scan. It is fascinating.
The modern dairy cow is the most 'bred for purpose' animal. We buy sperm for production rate, teat quality, number of female calves, fertility rate and a plethora of other attributes. Many of which may not be passed down the paternal line but hey ho.
I produce cattle with a VERY high inbreeding ratio. Deliberately so, as my current job is on a gubmint farm and this is one of the experiments they have been running for 30 or so generations now. They show some interesting mutations, most of which abort, but some are viable and are eventually moved into the milking herd after an additional period of supervision.

NotEvenFalse

Post by NotEvenFalse »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Die in a fire.
Sorry, I try to stay carbon neutral.
AndrewV69 wrote:Most people here align on the Left.
Yeah, I got that impression.
We have way too few Right wingers if you ask me.
Maybe I'll start with just the tip, then.
Anyway, I dunno if you are expecting a fight over politics or not but so far when people get really passionate it is over things like bread, pocket knives, screwdrivers vs hammers, dual wielding, LARPing, tattoos and other really important stuff like that.
Not so much a fight as habitual frustrating distractions for myself and others. When two people have fundamental disagreements about political assumptions, they tend to talk past each other.
Old_ones wrote:I agree to some extent, but I'm not sure the IQ thing is even relevant. Obviously intelligence will influence your probability of succeeding in a STEM field
You kind of contradicted yourself here. You say IQ is irrelevant but intelligence influences your probability of succeeding in a STEM field.
but you don't get a degree or a job for being smart. You get a degree because you payed lots of money to a college, and then you worked your ass off studying difficult material that many people find boring
That's absolutely true. There are all sorts of factors that play into why somebody gets a degree. It's far too complex a phenomenon to be described fully by any one variable. The point is simply that IQ is not negligible.
Personally I find the ethnic composition of my graduate program (in chemistry) pretty revealing. I have had plenty of colleagues in my program who are either African or African Caribbean, but the number of African Americans has been vanishingly small, and none of the African Americans have actually progressed to a degree*, whereas the a lot of the African non-Americans have. That suggests to me that this isn't a race vs. intelligence issue, unless ~300 years is enough time for a new race to form.
I think the complicating factor is that the African students are not really a random sample. They are probably some of the smartest people from the areas in which they live. You are correct, however, that this is not wholly a racial issue by any stretch of the imagination.
Kirbmarc wrote:I'm kind of Right wing-y myself on many is issues (federal budget, taxes, etc.) although I'm mostly a Centrist-Libertarian hybrid ... Left and Right have different meanings in different countries, though. The American Religious Right has no equivalent in the UK, for example. The closest thing they have is probably the UKIP, but there are too many differences to say they're one and the same.

At the same time many European Center-Right and Right wing parties have policies that are closer to the Democrats than to the Republican. And everything is further complicated by some parties and some political positions that don't exactly fit within the Left-Right spectrum.
I have several libertarian tendencies myself. I support drug legalization, abortion, and gay marriage. Even in areas where I'm socially conservative, I prefer cultural matters being dealt with outside of political institutions. I guess in general, I'm a "small government" conservative. However, I also support nationalism, traditionalism (as in actual traditionalism, not religious-right faux traditionalism), organic societies, natural hierarchy, and other things that are considered heresy in our time.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Matt C said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 90#p189890):
... in the same way they'd get them off a 23-yo Helen Mirren frolicking in the surf in Age of Consent.
Ah yes. Great movie. I love all the Archer movies. I have several of the Archer films on the Criterion Collection -- though not that one -- (http://www.criterion.com/). Excellent stuff. All of them. However, my version of Age of Consent is coupled with A Matter of Life and Death (aka Stairway to Heaven) on some other collection -- for some reason or other Criterion has yet to release either of those two excellent films.

Guestus Aurelius

NotEvenFalse wrote:
:lol:

(If it wasn't clear, I was kidding. "Die in a fire" is a term of endearment around here.)

NotEvenFalse

Post by NotEvenFalse »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
NotEvenFalse wrote:
:lol:

(If it wasn't clear, I was kidding. "Die in a fire" is a term of endearment around here.)
Oh yeah, I got you were kidding. I wasn't aware it was a term of endearment, but you were obviously joking. I actually laughed when I read that. Maybe I should have put an emoticon or something.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tribble wrote: But you just don't shove your hand up her hoo-hoo.
Funny -- those were the exact words my dad used when he explained the birds and the bees to me.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

For those of you with knowledge about things bovine:

Do you ever come across cows who identify as bulls, or vice versa?

If there seemed to be some reason to do so, would you stick your arm up a bull's rectum? As you imagine such an eventuality, do you think it would go over just about as well on a bull as it typically does, in your experience, with a cow? Why or why not?

Thanks! Love your show. I'll take my answer off the air.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ruh roh.

Mr Radio

Post by Mr Radio »

Skep tickle wrote: Ruh roh.
Looks like the Grothe reached in his bag of fucks-to-give and there is no longer any to be found. :lol:

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tribble wrote: But you just don't shove your hand up her hoo-hoo.
Funny -- those were the exact words my dad used when he explained the birds and the bees to me.
It IS rather sad that the best mainstream advice for older teens and younger men about women , dating and sex over the past 30 years or so besides the PUA stuff (some of which is true or useful and some of which is utter bs) is :

[youtube]PqI-28meTZ8[/youtube]

Thanks, Brits :)
Stampede towards the clitoris, indeed.

Mr Radio

Post by Mr Radio »

I love Monty Python and all, and have every season in my DVD collection, but The Meaning of Life is one of the worst, unfunniest pieces of trash ever committed to film. Not trolling, and I can't understand how others think it's anything but (especially considering the rave critic reviews.) It's one of those movies that I would wish I could forget, but if I did, I'd run the risk of picking it up and watching it again from the title alone.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Skep tickle wrote:For those of you with knowledge about things bovine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemartin

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Mr Radio wrote:I love Monty Python and all, and have every season in my DVD collection, but The Meaning of Life is one of the worst, unfunniest pieces of trash ever committed to film. Not trolling, and I can't understand how others think it's anything but (especially considering the rave critic reviews.) It's one of those movies that I would wish I could forget, but if I did, I'd run the risk of picking it up and watching it again from the title alone.
HA! I logged in just to say the exact same thing. Compared to Holy Grail or Life of Brian it's even worse. Unwatchable.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Mr Radio wrote:I love Monty Python and all, and have every season in my DVD collection, but The Meaning of Life is one of the worst, unfunniest pieces of trash ever committed to film. Not trolling, and I can't understand how others think it's anything but (especially considering the rave critic reviews.) It's one of those movies that I would wish I could forget, but if I did, I'd run the risk of picking it up and watching it again from the title alone.
HA! I logged in just to say the exact same thing. Compared to Holy Grail or Life of Brian it's even worse. Unwatchable.
Thirded. It's utter shite.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

dogen wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Thirded. It's utter shite.
But he eats a "waffer" thin mint and 'splodes!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Not.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Napoleon Dynamite is funny. Discuss.

Garlic

Post by Garlic »

Do you ever come across cows who identify as bulls, or vice versa? .

Garlic

Post by Garlic »

Dammit - Alienja'd.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

No. But unless you're saving them for breeding purposes, you castrate them and somewhere between 6 and 12 months you send them off to the feedlot.
If there seemed to be some reason to do so, would you stick your arm up a bull's rectum? As you imagine such an eventuality, do you think it would go over just about as well on a bull as it typically does, in your experience, with a cow? Why or why not?

Are you nuts? First, that's the vet's job. And he doesn't do it until you put the thing in a crush because he doesn't want his head staved in by a well-aimed kick. Things have moved on from the "All Creatures Great and Small"days with James Herriot laying on the floor of a cattle barn with his arm up a cow's butt.

Second, I wouldn't do it anyway because beyond the fact I would only make what ever was wrong worse, I have way too much respect the fact that cattle can really bring the pain. These aren't small animals. A full-grown Holstein dairy cow hits 3/4 of a ton and stands almost as tall as the average man and can crush your head or chest with one kick.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Skep tickle wrote: Ruh roh.

That's pretty funny. However, to the humorless SJW brigade I'm sure that it'll be more fuel to the 'DJ is a psychopath' meme.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I agree. I think it was the worst thing they ever did. There were a few good bits. But otherwise it was just dull...

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

dogen wrote:

Garlic wrote:

I love this place. Thanks - I had no idea.

Don't let HJ Hornbeck see that page. :D

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

My first "argument" with an FfTBer... I was called a "fucktangle" and then "block'd" for saying that my first reading of "Dear Muslima" was legitimate criticism of Skepchick. Wow.

P.S. What's a "fucktangle"?

Grwd

Post by Grwd »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Napoleon Dynamite is funny. Discuss.
I don't recall ever watching any comedy film that was funnier.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Garlic wrote:

Wow. Never heard of that. That's really cool.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Grwd wrote:
I found it boring. But to each their own as there's no arguing with taste.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tribble wrote:
Grwd wrote:
I found it boring. But to each their own as there's no arguing with taste.
Oh.....It's on now.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BpiBeJRIUAA3QUI.png

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Tribble wrote:

No. But unless you're saving them for breeding purposes, you castrate them and somewhere between 6 and 12 months you send them off to the feedlot.

Are you nuts? First, that's the vet's job. And he doesn't do it until you put the thing in a crush because he doesn't want his head staved in by a well-aimed kick. Things have moved on from the "All Creatures Great and Small"days with James Herriot laying on the floor of a cattle barn with his arm up a cow's butt.

Second, I wouldn't do it anyway because beyond the fact I would only make what ever was wrong worse, I have way too much respect the fact that cattle can really bring the pain. These aren't small animals. A full-grown Holstein dairy cow hits 3/4 of a ton and stands almost as tall as the average man and can crush your head or chest with one kick.
Yes, yes. What I'm asking is, are cows pretty docile when someone's arm is up them? Would bulls be? If there's a difference, what could possibly explain it? *blinks innocently and envisions HJ Hornbeck visiting a farm to try this out*

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

Opyt wrote:My first "argument" with an FfTBer... I was called a "fucktangle" and then "block'd" for saying that my first reading of "Dear Muslima" was legitimate criticism of Skepchick. Wow.

A fucktangle is when you try to draw a triangle, but the last line you draw doesn't quite meet up with the first. Occasionally, what appears to be a successful triangle will turn out, on closer inspection, to be a fucktangle since you subconsciously cheated with the last line by curving it to meet the first.

Guestus Aurelius

Balls, Skep tickle.

Balls.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Must say I did find Zvan's auto trolling at the hands of MotherJones pretty damn funny. Fancy having your re-tweets auto reprogrammed into the plain english bigotry that was the actual subtext. :?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... arassment/

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Grwd wrote:Come now. Let's not be mean for no reason.

But has she really claimed that a lot of men approach her?
I've just watched an interesting short on donkey fucking. I can now believe it.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
Grwd wrote:Come now. Let's not be mean for no reason.

But has she really claimed that a lot of men approach her?
I've just watched an interesting short on donkey fucking. I can now believe it.
*arf, arf*

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Cunt of Personality wrote:
Opyt wrote:My first "argument" with an FfTBer... I was called a "fucktangle" and then "block'd" for saying that my first reading of "Dear Muslima" was legitimate criticism of Skepchick. Wow.

A fucktangle is when you try to draw a triangle, but the last line you draw doesn't quite meet up with the first. Occasionally, what appears to be a successful triangle will turn out, on closer inspection, to be a fucktangle since you subconsciously cheated with the last line by curving it to meet the first.
Thanks. My paranoia was starting to get to me. :lol:

Skep: You're gonna put that person in a hospital. Hopefully a farmer would stop HJ Hornbeck before it goes too far though.