Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
ConcentratedH2O, OM

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:*snip* psych paper dissection *snip*
Thanks for that, always interesting to see that we have such better scientists on the Pit than Meyers's bunch of Flat Earthers.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Walter Ego wrote: You got some sort of problem with gays and lesbians being out on the street? Should they stay back home in the closet where they belong?

I'm a 62 year-old handicapped gay man but I'm ready to beat your ass if you got a problem with fags and dykes. You think an old man can't beat your ass? Try me punk.
I would instantly jizz my pants with joy - enough to fill them to the beltline - if this photo was actually Walter.

A boy can dream...

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Really? wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Is there any fucking thing aine won't complain about, and can't make all about her?

From a Meyers post about some fat versus thin women in art bullshit Buzzfeed article:

http://i.imgur.com/NkHA0RC.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-799049
I love how she slipped the accusation of sexism into the last sentence of the post. Patriarchy is everywhere!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good spot.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Really? wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Twitter Warning: Melody Hensley
Ooooohhh, the cute PZ chibi shirt! Appropriate, I guess, since they all make themselves up to look like cartoon characters.
That's right, Melody. He's a good little boy who always does as he's told. And if you put a Melody wig on him, he would look just like you! He's the perfect pet!
I spy a racist hat in the background.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Really? wrote:

[tweet]

Ooooohhh, the cute PZ chibi shirt! Appropriate, I guess, since they all make themselves up to look like cartoon characters.
That's right, Melody. He's a good little boy who always does as he's told. And if you put a Melody wig on him, he would look just like you! He's the perfect pet!
Racist, rapist, whatever. Both, probably, who the fuck knows anymore.

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: I spy a racist hat in the background.
Why can't it be both? You need to check your privilege.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

zenbabe wrote:Liked your comment on here too, btw. "Risible", and the descriptive "decorate your post" phrase, and the way you highlighted the Orwellian nature of their language, and the wonderful slam of the slacktastic author of the article:
This is Newspeak. It is an attempt at thought control. Add in the shameless disregard for facts and Kimberly Winston is looking very much like a sort feeble-minded junior officer of Thinkpol."
:lol:

Lots of comforting replies to the article of bullshittitude, from 'pitters and others.
Cheers!
It's striking that as terrible as the article is, I want to pat her on the back for allowing all the contrary comments appear, so far, without having a case of the vapors. Lifts her above so many of the 'freethinker' FCu(n)ts.
I threw in 'risible' cuz it's always good to show off ya book-larnin'. Many of these people are both stupid and lazy. Use a word they don't know and it can confuse them. As for 'decorate your post' that's me being a bit angry. I didn't recognise Edwina Rogers at first, but when I went looking for these "women at the helm" there she was. Twice!

I mean the sheer stupidity of it! There she is, peddling the usual line about Hensley and Watson and she goes from bad-mouthing Dawkins to praising the women in the Foundation that bears his name. A reader who knew nothing of the background would think that was odd. So, I went looking for info to point up how stupid it was, found Rogers and the pic and then remembered all the stink from two years ago.

A woman gets to the head of two major sceptic/secular organisations, on merit, and the WiS bitches fucking hate her! (I wonder what sort of stuff landed in Rogers' inbox at the time. She seems to have survived it.) Here's Greta Christina's original blog:
When I first heard that the Secular Coalition for America had named a long-time Republican political operative, Edwina Rogers, as their new Executive Director, my first reaction was extreme skepticism. To put it mildly. Actually, my first reaction was the top of my head blowing off. But then I thought, “Calm down. Maybe this is one of those ‘only Nixon can go to China’ things. Maybe a Republican could be uniquely effective at pitching secularism to Congress, and to America. The people who hired her aren’t idiots. This is worth considering. Keep an open mind.”

But I did have some serious questions about her. I knew that other people in the community had serious questions about her — many of them the same questions I was having. And the materials I’d read about her seemed somewhat dodgy, not addressing any of these questions in any serious way. Ditto the interview she did with Hemant Mehta at Friendly Atheist. So when I was given the opportunity to interview Rogers and ask her these questions, I took it.

And I have come to the conclusion that this is a disaster.

There are two problems here. There’s the fact that Edwina Rogers is a long-time operative in the Republican party. And there’s the fact that she responded to questions about this history with evasion, spin, and outright falsehoods about obvious, easily-checked facts.
I don't know if Rogers performed badly in that interview. At the time, I wasn't interested and it's old news now. But the response at FTB was at least DefCon 2. All the FC(n) weighed in at the time. The Whored went barmy. And yet within days Greta's there with her at WiS. Very much like the Lindsay speech last year with her. At the time CFI were henceforth and forever outcast. Where was she at the weekend? Fluevogs ain't free.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Really? wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: I spy a racist hat in the background.
She's a brave lass, that's for sure. Some military PTSD victims get triggered by fireweorks, yet here's our gal: internet PTSD, but putting herself right back out there on, err, the internet, just as soon as PeeZus has commanded her to leave her bed and walk.

Sure shows those military folk a thing or two about bravery, does our gal Melody.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Really? wrote:
She's a brave lass, that's for sure. Some military PTSD victims get triggered by fireweorks, yet here's our gal: internet PTSD, but putting herself right back out there on, err, the internet, just as soon as PeeZus has commanded her to leave her bed and walk.

Sure shows those military folk a thing or two about bravery, does our gal Melody.

http://i.imgur.com/lYVgkEz.jpg

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Brive1987 wrote:So I go to Canuks, fully expecting to see my post and an answer to the question that has left the best slymepit brains crushed and unable to speak.

And what do I find? Madness. Not only is my question still wandering the purgatory of moderation, but Hornbeck has well and truly slipped the bonds of sanity.

Here is his opus dating the exact moment Radford stopped uploading multiple copies of files to link to in favour of cross linking.

http://i.imgur.com/8HrjIcm.jpg
Never fear, Inspector HJ is on the case!

http://www.krishnasmercy.org/dotnetnuke ... dget_2.jpg

"GO GO GADGET SKEPTICISM!"

Linus

Post by Linus »

Aneris wrote:I dropped a reply, struggling to provide a bigger picture, but it's at least something:
http://www.religionnews.com/2014/05/15/ ... ent-987378
Excellent response. :clap:

My only beef is with likening attacks on Evolutionary Psychology to attacks on the theory of Evolution. Evolution is a theory backed up by mountains of evidence. Evolutionary Psychology is not a theory, but more of an approach or methodology (I guess it makes sense to call it a "field" as well, which you did) and a somewhat controversial one at that. Criticizing EP and being a creationist are many many many miles apart.

I did an undergraduate degree and three years toward a phd in research psychology and I don't remember any classes focused on or even mentioning EP. The only place I saw it covered was during a sociology class on gender roles. So, perhaps my experience was unique, but I see it as being a bit removed from mainstream psychological science and perhaps more akin to sociology. And surely there are "entire fields" and methodologies within both sociology and psychology that are worthy of criticism (e.g. post-structuralism, behaviorism, neo-Freudian psychology, critical race theory, etcetera). Not that I agree with all of PZ and Watson's attacks on evopsych. Some of them have been poorly researched, over-generalizing and/or irrational. Other points I agree with them on.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Is there any fucking thing aine won't complain about, and can't make all about her?
From a Meyers post about some fat versus thin women in art bullshit Buzzfeed article:
She is the fattest she has been her entire life?!?! Wait a minute. I thought Elyse Anders was Cain. Do I have two separate nut bars mixed up?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Really? wrote:
What? The plantation hat? I don't see a ribbon strip, but it is at an angle where that would not be visible.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
If only. :bjarte:
If you're a sysadmin, triggers are AWESOME
FUCK YOU!!! I WAS A SYSADMIN ONCE!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!! FUCK YOU!!!

(also fuck you for triggering me)

Linus

Post by Linus »

Skep tickle wrote:It appears she means this seriously.
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sick/ ... oticon.gif

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Southern wrote:
Tribble wrote:
bhoytony wrote:[.tweet][/tweet]
Ha! That's male pattern baldness. Unusual in women and it tends to be a symptom of something else.
Maybe chemo. She had cancer, didn't she? You know, then she run a fundraiser, and got excess money, and spent it on ugly Fluevogs...
She had stage 1 cancer, in fact stage 1A, for which the really excellent news is that it's almost always cured with hysterectomy. (Usually also w/ ovaries & a few lymph nodes thrown in. Or pulled out, as it were.) This stage endometrial cancer is not treated with radiation unless the cancer appears to be very aggressive. Stage 1 endometrial cancer would not be treated with chemo.

Also, given the date on that post, I erred in saying she was 51 at time of surgery; she had just turned 50. That's what I get for using Wikipedia as a source. :(

ConcentratedH2O, OM

deLurch wrote:
She is the fattest she has been her entire life?!?! Wait a minute. I thought Elyse Anders was Cain. Do I have two separate nut bars mixed up?
If you're serious, then you have seriously confused your fruitcakes. Caine is a complete fucking flake living in a cabin somewhere in the wilds of Montanna, or similar. Elyse Anders is a complete fucking flake living in I don't know where but A City.

Clearer?

To explain it another way, Anders is an alcoholic and Caine likes to dig up the bones of her long-decomposed pet rats. I'm not making this up.

Don't worry, all of them are mostly interchangable when it comes down to the uniformity of opinion.

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
If only. :bjarte:
If you're a sysadmin, triggers are AWESOME
FUCK YOU!!! I WAS A SYSADMIN ONCE!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!! FUCK YOU!!!

Andrewwwwwwwww! The internnneeet is brokeeeeeennnn! I can't get my emaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

deLurch wrote:... I thought Elyse Anders was Cain. ...
Elyse Anders is was a Skepchick, from Illinois then Texas and now Illinois, is the one who does selfies with big glasses of red wine on Twitter (or used to, I haven't looked in a while). Had part of stomach removed for carcinoid tumor found during evaluation before planned gastric bypass surgery, which she also had done. She was active in the vaccine stuff the Skepchick crowd did (as Women Thinking Foundation) and with Mad Art Lab (not sure what they do). She runs marathons, though not always the ones for which she has raised money to run (her stomach didn't cooperate, for the Leukemia & Lymphoma run). Has 2 kids, and her husband is honeybadger or some name like that, the guy who lost his job after which she tweeted a bunch about the clothes & boots she was buying online. Her main connection to FtB seems to be the post that was put up (by PZ mirroring Zvan? I can't recall) about Elyse's history of multiple sexual assaults; it was in that thread that Ogvorbis revealed his past sordid acts and received many hugs, which led Elyse to flounce from the thread.

Caine is the 'nym of a "regular" (putting it mildly) on Pharyngula who has been an unofficial monitor & tone controller for years there, was an official monitor until she got some criticism, after which she flounced saying she wouldn't be back, then returned almost right away as Inaje (sp?), channeling the small % of Indian heritage she claims. She lives in a small town in North Dakota with many rats, is married (I think), and she dislikes children.

One similarity is that they both seem to like being the center of attention. :think:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Lsuoma wrote:Fucked post - should be:
Manning 'may sue' for sex change
Hmm... Manning is sexually attracted to men, but is transgender. If he were to actually get reassigned gender, Manning would be sent to a women's prison. And bucking to be sent to a non-military prison? Away from buff military guys? I am not sure Manning has thought this all the way through. With a 35 year sentence, I would shoot for the sex change operation towards the end of my prison sentence.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

DownThunder wrote: Where did you learn that? That seems rather simplistic and not very accurate. I dont have my [ferengi]female companion[/ferengi] on hand right now as a comparison, but a quick talk into the FFT scope shows my voice has a fundamental around 85hz with consistent amplitude harmonics until about 1khz where there is a sharp drop off. If anything, a voice with a higher fundamental frequency should put the harmonics in a more audible frequency range for human hearing. Harmonics being "spaced further apart" is arbitrary and is simply the logarithmic nature of frequency vs pitch.

When dealing with psychoacoustics, there are less objective measurements that I believe could come into play. One is the timbral distinctiveness from surrounding sounds. I think it is reasonable to believe that hearing organs, and the ability to interpret sound waves are not just luxuries, they are adaptions for detecting mates, or threats, and so we have ingrained responses to particular timbres.

I think there is an inherent difference in the human psychological response to hearing a squeaking kitten vs a roaring lion, for example.
I learnt this in my studies of acoustic phonetics. It's certainly a gross oversimplification, since acoustic phonetics doesn't really go into the physics of acoustics in great detail nor the psychology of perceptual phonetics. In any case, it's been too long for me to give an accurate account, and it's not my field. Nonetheless, the conclusion of what I have written is pretty well-received.

And the same idea applies to children as well. I don't doubt that the human perception is well-adapted to reacting to child-like voices, but it doesn't change the acoustic side of things.

Linus

Post by Linus »

rpguest wrote:[youtube]L5F_w4zOtrA[/youtube]

the sjw's are going to be terribly pleased with oswalt considering he starts railing into "social justice warriors" called out by name right from the start

always name names
I suspect I'm the only O&A fan here, but that was a fun listen. I think that's the first time I've ever heard the phrase "social justice warrior" on their show.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Here's JREF's problem - no speaker jewelry!

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

welch wrote:[quote="AndrewV69"
Andrewwwwwwwww! The internnneeet is brokeeeeeennnn! I can't get my emaaaaaaaaaaaaaaail.[/quote]

Welch, through the entire year and maybe a third that I've been following your antics and interacting with you here and at other places across the net, this last sentence to Andrew is the single shittiest thing you have ever said. It beats the time you told the kid with cancer of the bladder, infected limbs, and with a Nurse named Ratched to "man up" and stop whining about such measly pain. You should hang your head in shame, but it's obvious you HAVE no shame. Somedays I just wish I could be as brainless as an A-Plusser and just forget the evil that exists on the net...

:naughty:

Clarence (who was never a Sysadmin but has been tech support and has SOME idea of what Sysadmins go through)

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Skep tickle wrote:Here's JREF's problem - no speaker jewelry!

I'd kiss her. Too bad she's crazy :(

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Clarence wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Here's JREF's problem - no speaker jewelry!
[.tweet][/tweet]

I'd kiss her. Too bad she's crazy :(
I'm sure she'd have some choice things to say about you (or any of us), too.

Including "no" to your offer of a kiss.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

To be honest, I'm still reeling from the Melody pic. I'm not quite sure what sort of creatures I am looking at. Is this the concentrated pure stereotype of fat, ugly hipsters? Is this the culmination of the Hipster dream to combine the least attractive people with the most disgusting fashions? What am I looking at?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BoCG8emCYAEpErG.jpg

[youtube]3QwWiiEltzU[/youtube]

Most of the pictures give the impression that WiS3 was one long circle-schlicking party for pretend victim bullies and shallow narcissists. Well, and let's not forget all of the male feminists who were helpfully shutting up and sitting in the corner. It's good that they know their "place."

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Greta had a hysterectomy a few years back when she was found to have endometrial cancer.
This procedure often leads to an increase in hair loss due to the loss of hormones.
???

I'm thinking you meant that "bilateral oophorectomy" as in "hysterectomy with bilateral oophorectomy" as the surgery that "often leads to...hair loss due to the loss of hormones", but you used "hysterectomy" as shorthand.

"Hysterectomy" doesn't lead to hair loss, with the exceptions of (a) diffuse hair thinning in the setting of iron deficiency from blood loss (either from menorrhagia which is the reason for some hysterectomies, or perioperative blood loss), and (b) telogen effluvium (which any physiological shock like surgery, or any moderately-to-severe acute illness, can cause).

GC had just passed her 51st birthday when she was diagnosed with endometrial ca. Treatment was surgical, presumably TAH-BSO and potentially lymph node dissection. If she wasn't postmenopausal before the surgery, she was afterwards.

Hair thinning is common in postmenopausal women, even among those who have not had gyn surgery:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21128905

[/pedant mode, perhaps]
I originally typed in 'hysterectomy and ovarectomy', but that didn't sound correct (I'm not a physician - I don't know all the technical terms!) so I removed the latter part; besides, I wasn't completely sure if she had her ovaries removed - although that is probably advisable when diagnosed with these types of cancers.

Mr Radio

Post by Mr Radio »

deLurch wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Fucked post - should be:
Manning 'may sue' for sex change
Hmm... Manning is sexually attracted to men, but is transgender. If he were to actually get reassigned gender, Manning would be sent to a women's prison. And bucking to be sent to a non-military prison? Away from buff military guys? I am not sure Manning has thought this all the way through. With a 35 year sentence, I would shoot for the sex change operation towards the end of my prison sentence.

It won't happen. The US Military's medical isn't equipped or trained for such a medical procedure and there's no chance in hell they'd budget a red cent away from anything else to accommodate Manning pre-, SRS, and post-treatment. Even if medical pros offered their service for free, the hassle would be astronomical for a dishonorably discharged soldier. I am not exaggerating in the least on that last part, either.

Consider this: Medal of Honor recipients -- the ones that live -- are awarded a number of meager perks, the most notable being a payment of around $1300 per month (currently) for the rest of their lives. These are America's bravest and finest troops who are rewarded the highest military decoration which is also noted for being one that awarded posthumously at least half the time. Now, consider what all it would take to accommodate Manning's transition: Training, pre/post treatment, therapy, etc. Nothing in the military is simple, nothing is streamlined, and everything is subject to an order and several dead ancient redwoods worth of paperwork. It would cost millions to take care of Manning, who, as I've stated, was sentenced with a dishonorable discharge.

He's currently serving his sentence at Leavenworth Correctional Barracks, and it's been a while since I've read about, but I believe is all-male and run by the Army. Females get sent to a brig (I forget where) that's ran by the Navy. And while his sentence is 35 years, the educated guess is he'll spend nine years before being paroled. Speculation on my part is his dishonorable discharge, which normally consigns those with that stigma to any low-wage job that will take them, won't be an obstacle to him. He has his mother in England and a host of other nations would probably happily take him in just to thumb their nose at America.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Macklemore for witch of the week

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Greta had a hysterectomy a few years back when she was found to have endometrial cancer.
This procedure often leads to an increase in hair loss due to the loss of hormones.
???

I'm thinking you meant that "bilateral oophorectomy" as in "hysterectomy with bilateral oophorectomy" as the surgery that "often leads to...hair loss due to the loss of hormones", but you used "hysterectomy" as shorthand.

"Hysterectomy" doesn't lead to hair loss, <<snip>

Hair thinning is common in postmenopausal women, even among those who have not had gyn surgery:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21128905

[/pedant mode, perhaps]
I originally typed in 'hysterectomy and ovarectomy', but that didn't sound correct (I'm not a physician - I don't know all the technical terms!) so I removed the latter part; besides, I wasn't completely sure if she had her ovaries removed - although that is probably advisable when diagnosed with these types of cancers.
FWIW, ovariectomy = oophorectomy, though ovariectomy seems to be used more in animal research and oophorectomy more in clinical medicine (in recent years anyway). Whether or not that was part of her surgery, I dunno and it's not my business, just sayin' that there are plenty of women who never had their ovaries out who get hair thinning after menopause.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Skep tickle wrote:Macklemore for witch of the week
Don't think I've heard of the guy before. Here's his response. Seems sincere enough. Of course, sincerity and good intentions don't usually count these days.
Macklemore wrote:My intention was to dress up and surprise the people at the show with a random costume and nothing more. Thus, it was surprising and disappointing that the images of a disguise were sensationalized leading to the immediate assertion that my costume was anti-Semetic. I acknowledge how the costume could, within a context of stereotyping, be ascribed to a Jewish caricature. I am here to say that it was absolutely not my intention, and unfortunately at the time I did not foresee the costume to be viewed in such regard. I’m saddened that this story, or any of my choices, would lead to any form of negativity.

didymos

Post by didymos »

They hated his guts already for culturally appropriating rap. Really, it was him having hits and getting nominations, like he had any control over that. Oh, and for having the temerity to do a song supporting gay marriage, the shitlord.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Linus wrote:My only beef is with likening attacks on Evolutionary Psychology to attacks on the theory of Evolution. Evolution is a theory backed up by mountains of evidence. Evolutionary Psychology is not a theory, but more of an approach or methodology (I guess it makes sense to call it a "field" as well, which you did) and a somewhat controversial one at that. Criticizing EP and being a creationist are many many many miles apart.
Presumably Aneris is talking about an equivalence of quality of critique, rather than an equivalence of the fields.

I would say the point is that archetypal creationism relies on a shared ignorance evolution (between speaker and audience) which is then reinforced by the misconceptions of the speaker.
I did an undergraduate degree and three years toward a phd in research psychology and I don't remember any classes focused on or even mentioning EP.
I'd argue that from it's psychology angle it's essentially an addendum to cog psy plus evo biology, so it's not really suitable for Bsc because in order to go into it thoroughly you need to have gone into other fields thoroughly first.] The only place I saw it covered was during a sociology class on gender roles. So, perhaps my experience was unique, but I see it as being a bit removed from mainstream psychological science and perhaps more akin to sociology. And surely there are "entire fields" and methodologies within both sociology and psychology that are worthy of criticism (e.g. post-structuralism, behaviorism, neo-Freudian psychology, critical race theory, etcetera). Not that I agree with all of PZ and Watson's attacks on evopsych. Some of them have been poorly researched, over-generalizing and/or irrational. Other points I agree with them on.[/quote]

I would love to know what you thought was a genuine score for either of them. I firmly believe that the Skepticon 5 talk and the Convergeance 2013 talks were wholly in error save for a couple of concessionary points raised by Laden and Viskontas.

Apples

Post by Apples »

"SO much appreciative mutual cooing"

pretty much sums up this gaggle of superficial twats

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

If somebody looks at that and immediately thinks he looks Jewish I think it says more about their biases than it does his. To me he looks like Ringo Starr.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

When peoples' ignorance and misguided feelings dominate public discourse... it's the age of stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controvers ... ggardly%22

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

TiBo wrote:When peoples' ignorance and misguided feelings dominate public discourse... it's the age of stupid.

Someone on Ophelia's site used that analogy with the word 'niggardly' to justify the censorship of the word 'cunt'.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

TiBo wrote:When peoples' ignorance and misguided feelings dominate public discourse... it's the age of stupid.

Nice link.
Amelia Rideau, a junior English major and vice chairwoman of the Black Student Union told the group how a professor teaching Chaucer had used the word niggardly. She said the professor continued to use the word even after she told him that she was offended. "I was in tears, shaking," she told the faculty. "It's not up to the rest of the class to decide whether my feelings are valid.
What a twat.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

didymos wrote:
Fight the power by playing into stereotypes! Genius!
Next year, shoes, handbags and gossiping about the bitches in the toilet.
Courtney and Amy... "Yes, you're our pet mental case now, since Elyse went "off message" You rant a lot of shit on twitter anyway so your half way there."

didymos

Post by didymos »

Tony Parsehole wrote:

Nice link.
Amelia Rideau, a junior English major and vice chairwoman of the Black Student Union told the group how a professor teaching Chaucer had used the word niggardly. She said the professor continued to use the word even after she told him that she was offended. "I was in tears, shaking," she told the faculty. "It's not up to the rest of the class to decide whether my feelings are valid.
What a twat.
Shaking and crying, no less.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

He performed at "Sky Church" which is a modern cutting edge art museum.
http://www.empmuseum.org/

He sang two songs.
Thrift Shop
[youtube]S5_JTDYkH_w[/youtube]
The above song appears to be a slam on cheap hipsters.
Lyrics:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/macklemo ... tshop.html

and

Can't Hold Us
[youtube]xHRkHFxD-xY[/youtube]
Lyrics:
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/macklemo ... oldus.html

In a quick search online for Jew or Jewish noses, I can't find any. They are pretty much all labeled witches noses.

There are some more pictures of his performance here:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1798313

http://i.imgur.com/aVyj1Cj.jpg
The side dancers could come off as trashy thrift store jerseyshore jewish princesses.

Does he look like a jewish stereotype? Yes.
Was that his intention? I am not a mind reader.

I've thrown together worse last minute costumes. Thankfully none of them have come off as racist stereotypes.

Then again, we have Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder dressing up like a cheesy rich heartless jewish film studio executive, complete with belly, chest hair, gold chain & big hocking nose.
http://i.imgur.com/j9anMBL.jpg

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:

Nice link.
What a twat.
Indeed. And it's not up to her to tell the rest of the class and university what is and is not acceptable. I'm getting really really tired of listening to all these appeals to emotion. Plus you would have thought any English major would have a bit more style than just parroting the "tears and shaking" cliché. Also I think she's lying.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
If somebody looks at that and immediately thinks he looks Jewish I think it says more about their biases than it does his. To me he looks like Ringo Starr.
The facial hair is dead on.
http://i.imgur.com/gevPtiE.jpg
And no that is not a shoop. Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... m-20120818

And here is Ringo Starr in the Mop Top stage.
http://i.imgur.com/Ds7tQMx.jpg

Ringo is also not a jew.
http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=85

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

didymos wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

Nice link.
What a twat.
Shaking and crying, no less.
There's a lot of that going around these days. Funny how shaking and crying over nothing has become a badge of honour, something to be proud of instead of embarrassed about.

If I had the l33t literary skillz of Mykeru or Tigzy I would make a really cool analogy with these expensive yet hideous designer trousers...
http://cdnc.lystit.com/photos/2012/12/0 ... _flex.jpeg
http://www.lyst.com/clothing/tom-rebl-l ... nts-black/

....But I don't so I won't.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

deLurch wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
The facial hair is dead on.
http://i.imgur.com/gevPtiE.jpg
And no that is not a shoop. Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... m-20120818

And here is Ringo Starr in the Mop Top stage.
http://i.imgur.com/Ds7tQMx.jpg

Ringo is also not a jew.
http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=85
That Ringo picture at the top was exactly the one I was thinking of.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

In fact I think auld Ringo is perpetuating an offensive Jewish sterotype even more so that Macklemore.
At least Macklemore didn't have the brass bollocks to include a star in his ensemble:
http://assets-s3.rollingstone.com/asset ... 6/main.jpg

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:In fact I think auld Ringo is perpetuating an offensive Jewish sterotype even more so that Macklemore.
At least Macklemore didn't have the brass bollocks to include a star in his ensemble:
Someone needs to hit twitter with that.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Someone on Ophelia's site used that analogy with the word 'niggardly' to justify the censorship of the word 'cunt'.
Certainly. The 2 most prominent spawns of cultural marxism, namely political correctness and multiculturalism, are embraced by large parts of the SJW crowds. No surprises there.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

[youtube]6OvGD1RQN7A[/youtube]

Oh no, I've given the game away! The secret of internet feminism is out!

Apples

Post by Apples »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

Nice link.
What a twat.
Indeed. And it's not up to her to tell the rest of the class and university what is and is not acceptable. I'm getting really really tired of listening to all these appeals to emotion. Plus you would have thought any English major would have a bit more style than just parroting the "tears and shaking" cliché. Also I think she's lying.
She may know something about lying - given that she's now a successful crony-capitalist/public-teatsucking New Jersey lawyer. The niggardly flap was actually 15 years ago.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4YFhK87NXPE/S ... e-Card.jpg

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

Nice link.
What a twat.
Trigger warning - cultural interlude!

Perhaps the English student was aware of Auden's attempt to give Herod's reasons for hunting down the infant Jesus and killing him, even though it was unpleasant. For if the child is allowed to live;
Reason will be replaced by Revelation. Instead of Rational Law, objective truths perceptible to any who will undergo the necessary intellectual discipline, Knowledge will degenerate into a riot of subjective visions... Whole cosmogonies will be created out of some forgotten personal resentment, complete epics written in private languages, the daubs of schoolchildren ranked above the greatest masterpieces. Idealism will be replaced by Materialism. Life after death will be an eternal dinner party where all the guests are 20 years old... Justice will be replaced by Pity as the cardinal human virtue, and all fear of retribution will vanish... The New Aristocracy will consist exclusively of hermits, bums and permanent invalids. The Rough Diamond, the Consumptive Whore, the bandit who is good to his mother, the epileptic girl who has a way with animals will be the heroes and heroines of the New Age, when the general, the statesman, and the philosopher have become the butt of every farce and satire.
Given that this has largely come to pass, who's side does that put the SJWs on? Not Herod's, that's for sure.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

'He used the word 'niggardly' over and over, five or six times,'' she said. ''I ran out of the class in tears. It was as if he was saying to me, 'Your opinion has no value.' ''
That's the core of the problem with SJW. They want their opinion to matter more than the freedom of others. They feel that just because they're offended by something (ANYTHING) they're entitled to tell others what to think, what to do.

It may be a harsh truth, but some opinions haveno value. Some feelings are stupid, and shouldn't matter. Anger and pain can be irrational. Because no matter how "safe" a space is, there'll always be someone who gets offended by something.

So if we catered to every hurt feeling we couldn't discuss anything, anymore. We could only blindly follow the rules of a bland discussion until some new whiner would come up and claim that something offended him (or her).

AnonymousCowherd

deLurch wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:In fact I think auld Ringo is perpetuating an offensive Jewish sterotype even more so that Macklemore.
Someone needs to hit twitter with that.
Someone needs to hit Twitter with something considerably larger than that. And keep doing so until it stops moving. For good.

AnonymousCowherd

real horrorshow wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Is it just me, or does this kind of thing make other women gag too?
You mean, other women who aren't shallow-pated; attention-seeking; wastes of space? I would think so.

And that is also a sniper's dream opportunity gone to waste.
(FWIW, that's kind of an unhealthy-looking pallor, and I'm not trying to white-shame MH. On the other hand, the women kissing her are from California & Texas respectively, so presumably they get more sun exposure over the winter than a resident of the DC area would.)
You must remember that Melody is confined to her sickbed, which I always imagine as something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/Fuq7Xgv.jpg
Only with those two fucking pug things waddling and wheezing in it, of course.
Or this (with portable safe space/anti-rape device):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fav2dfJ_KBE/S ... edroom.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

The New Aristocracy will consist exclusively of hermits, bums and permanent invalids. The Rough Diamond, the Consumptive Whore, the bandit who is good to his mother, the epileptic girl who has a way with animals will be the heroes and heroines of the New Age, when the general, the statesman, and the philosopher have become the butt of every farce and satire.
(Un)holy shit!

AnonymousCowherd

BarnOwl wrote:
The New Aristocracy will consist exclusively of hermits, bums and permanent invalids. The Rough Diamond, the Consumptive Whore, the bandit who is good to his mother, the epileptic girl who has a way with animals will be the heroes and heroines of the New Age, when the general, the statesman, and the philosopher have become the butt of every farce and satire.
(Un)holy shit!
It's almost like he'd met Cainaji...

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Stephanie Zvan, [url=http://web.archive.org/web/20131102022006/http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds/2013/08/27/what-mother-jones-missed/]What Mother Jones Missed[/url] wrote:There’s more, about how he can’t be stalking people because he’s just monitoring what they do in public, as though stalkers didn’t get obsessive about that until their targets start hiding, as though Elevatorgate laid off of Jen when she went quiet or Melody when she made her account private. But there’s something more interesting to note here.
That was in the past (August 27, 2013). Today, she writes:
Stephanie Zvan, [url=http://web.archive.org/web/20140520123653/http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds/2014/05/19/atheists-are-the-worst/]Atheists Are the Worst[/url] wrote:What's the worst abuse Mayhew has received? She's been very open about it. Here is her "worst of all". It's also the only, to the best of my knowledge. Mayhew has handily given us something to compare that to on the conference hashtag, but there's a whole lot more.
Here she can be seen “denying the lived experience of harassment and abuse victims”, as her own faction would put it when it concerns their in-group. It's interesting that she now qualifies “abuses” to determine who got it worse in the Oppression Olympics. When convenient, the quality of “abuse” is of no import but only how severe it is perceived.

Then, Stephanie links to a Tumblr created only to monitor Sara Mayhews every tweet, or in her own paraphrased words, stalks her obsessively to bully Sara Mayhew off Social Media. Stephanie Zvan approves of this, has made no indication that she condones such “stalking” and even more, she uses donotlink for the link to Sara Mayhew's blog to not contribute to her search engine ranking, but apparently is very fine to boost the search engine ranking of that “stalking” site.

Hypocrisy and double standards each day. Lovely.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Good lord. I posted a comment about just how stupid the whole NPR article on this was. And my conservative fundamentalist Christian friend went off about how he left the house that way and should have known better than to make fun of the possibly most oppressed people in history. WTF?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Hornbeck was right all along. Game over, man. Game over.