Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Za-zen

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by Za-zen »

real horrorshow wrote:Oh a little more. She seems to be claiming the campus in the name of the Kalapuya. I wonder if she'll be re-introducing these elements of native culture:
Slaves lived with the families who owned them, working side-by-side in gender-specific daily tasks and performing mundane chores such as the collection of firewood and water.
You do realise its a weak ass racial switch satire.

Think a strip switching out the germans with the jews then replay the events of that era in an alternate reality gag. They did not fail

Southern

Post by Southern »

real horrorshow wrote:
Mykeru wrote:That doesn't make any sense.
I thought, that by using the term Poe, you were suggesting that she was a parody RadFem/SJW, not a real one. I was suggesting - based on what you posted - that she might be a real RadFem/SJW, and thus, someone who really dislikes you.
Isn't that exactly the definition of a poe - you cannot tell the difference between parody and the real thing?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote: <snip>
There's nothing "noble" about reproduction. That's what you're missing. It is a basic biological instinct. That some people have in greater or lesser degrees. Having a kid isn't noble and thinking so is selfish, because if you're performed a noble deed, what does that make you? Right.
But reproduction isn’t all of what comes in under the rubric of “parenting”, is it? As that photo of a nazi parent suggests. Somewhat disingenuous at best to suggest otherwise.
But is it *noble* in and of itself? Is the simple act of raising a child from birth to being able to live independently *noble*? Is it *selfless*? In and of itself, do either of those two qualifications apply?
By “it”, I assume you mean parenting, although I’m surprised you would suggest that “raising a child from birth to being able to live independently” qualifies as a “simple act”. As Sam Levenson said, “Insanity is hereditary; you can get it from your children” – I expect a great many parents could sympathize with that perspective.

But consider what appears to be a relevant definition of noble: “Having or showing qualities of high moral character, such as courage, generosity, or honor”. I don’t know about you, but I would readily argue that “raising a child from birth to live independently” at least generally qualifies as or is suggestive of evidence of a “high moral character” – particularly when the evidence suggests that more than a few parents are unable to do that. In addition, that a substantial percentage of parents do manage hardly precludes applying “noble” to their individual endeavors – I didn’t see anything in the definition that it can only be applied to a small elite.

As for “selfless”, again I think you’re refusing to acknowledge that at least some if not many parents are generally capable of, and indeed do, sacrifice no small amount of time, money and effort to ensure their children are eventually capable of “living independently” without being more of a burden on society, who are generally able to pay their way. Which, in consequence if not by intent, certainly seems to have an element of altruism to it. Which I think is evidence of more than a small amount of “courage, generosity or honour” – in a word, “nobility”.

Although I hardly think the term is exclusive to parents since, as Desiderata has it, many others also “strive for high ideals” or who make positive contributions of one sort or another. And even if there is an element of self-interest in all of that, one has to ask whether there is still a net benefit to society in general. Seems to me that a well-functioning and equitable society, particularly a highly technological civilization, depends on the contributions of a great many people with a wide spectrum of talents and abilities – seems the trick is to ensure an optimal balance between “the needs of the few and the needs of the many”, between those of the individual and those of the group (i.e., other individuals).
welch wrote:But again, there's nothing about being a parent that is, in and of itself, morally better or worse than any other selfish choice we make for ourselves.
Agreed, although I think you’re probably making a mistake by apparently insisting that every choice we make is a selfish one. You don’t think altruism is a real thing, that people can’t sacrifice themselves, or parts of themselves for others, for “the greater good”? Your “raising a child … to live independently” would suggest otherwise; it would seem many parents raise their children to be dependent on them which hardly does them or society much if any good that I can see.
welch wrote:Let's take Mykeru's story as an example. Were he to have been truly selfless, he would have kept that woman in his life, stopping at nothing to help her, no matter what the cost to him. … So you leave that relationship. You don't have to go full-on dickface about it, but you are in fact placing your own needs above that other person's. You are being...selfish.
But I’m not arguing for total selflessness – only for a balance between the needs of the individual and the group – both of which have, or should have, some influence on our actions. Again, enlightened self-interest. Somewhat apropos of which, I’m reminded of the instructions in airplanes for parents of children in the event of a cabin depressurization: rather wise, enlightened even, for the parent to put their own mask on before putting one on the kid – if the parent collapses while doing the latter then both die, but maybe only one in the former case.
welch wrote:As far as the strawman goes, I don't see it, but whatever.
Seems to reside in or start from an unwillingness to consider that people, many people at least, are motivated by considerations of the needs of others apart from their own. Which qualifies as some degree of selflessness. Which is sort of exhibited by those parents who have some willingness or intent to see that their kids are “able to live independently”. Rather difficult to see how you can apparently argue that parenting is always a selfish act in light of that.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Za-zen wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:Oh a little more. She seems to be claiming the campus in the name of the Kalapuya. I wonder if she'll be re-introducing these elements of native culture:
Slaves lived with the families who owned them, working side-by-side in gender-specific daily tasks and performing mundane chores such as the collection of firewood and water.
You do realise its a weak ass racial switch satire.

Think a strip switching out the germans with the jews then replay the events of that era in an alternate reality gag. They did not fail
I did wonder a little about why I could find no reference to this "battle" she was talking about. Even some pissant student protest ought to have made the local papers. Looks like the chin tat probably is marker pen then, shame.

Hmm, so Injuns kicking Whitey around now, would be funny because 170ish years ago some other Injuns got kicked around by some other Whiteys. Likewise Jews slaughtering Gentiles would be funny? That must be why Palestine is "The Happiest Place on Earth"â„¢ . Satire, they may be doing it wrong.
http://i.imgur.com/3mkvJPy.jpg

Southern

Post by Southern »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Jen has a new blog! I got to announce before that stalker Cavanaugh!!
I'm not a stalker! Merely an admirer from afar of genuine beauty, grace and wit.
jenroll.png
No admiration can be more pure and innocent than the admiration Walter Ego has for Ellen Beth Wachs.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Southern wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
Mykeru wrote:That doesn't make any sense.
I thought, that by using the term Poe, you were suggesting that she was a parody RadFem/SJW, not a real one. I was suggesting - based on what you posted - that she might be a real RadFem/SJW, and thus, someone who really dislikes you.
Isn't that exactly the definition of a poe - you cannot tell the difference between parody and the real thing?
Yes, in much the same way that many people can't tell the difference between Mykeru and the real thing, but we know it's all done with puppets and stew meat.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Yeah i interpreted the message as being;

We wouldn't think it ok if the red people and their wallys oppressed whiteys.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
TiBo wrote:I know Welch has unpacked this, but here's the tl;dr :

(1) Your constitution (+amendments) provides a set of legal norms.
(2) The question whether gov actions(legislative/executive measures) are constitutional, is strictly speaking a question of legality, comparing the gov's actions against these higher ranking norms. Constitutionality = constitutional legality.
(3) Your constitution (Art III) also tells you who sits in judgement on the constitutionality of gov actions: One federal supreme court.
(4) It's part of the process you know as "seperation of powers".
(5) As a citizen, you may opine on any questions you like, but your opinion carries no weight in the described process.
:doh:

I never (nor, I believe, has Guestus Aurelius) asserted that what TiBo describes above is not in fact the process for determining legal constitutionality of a law or policy at any given point in time. I merely assert that, as a part of the ongoing political process, within which that legal process is subsumed, the opinions of the people do matter.

Supreme courts can and do make rulings that popular consensus in hindsight deem in error. Over the years, numerous past rulings have been reversed by subsequent courts. In the intervening periods, people argued that the original ruling was wrong and should be overruled. To argue such is not, I repeat not, the same as denying the technically constitutional status of the objectionable law or policy.
Take it to the Thunderdome, where—I assure you—you can say anything you'd like.

Oh, and I almost forgot: FLOOSH!!!

Linus

Post by Linus »

welch wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
welch wrote: Yeah. He should have had them to make the world better.

at least he's not trying to make himself look better because he had kids.
LOL.

Another parent making the world a better place by spawning:

http://cdn.motinetwork.net/demotivation ... 494379.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CBNR2DT6x0g/U ... s_fags.jpg

Linus

Post by Linus »

(3 Melody Hensleys in training right there if we are to take Thunderf00t seriously)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:tl;dumbass - "MY OPINION MY OPINION MY OPINION"

which you are certainly allowed and entitled to. But it has no real-world meaning outside of your skull. ...
You do seem to have a bee in your bonnet or a burr under your saddle as you’re looking unnecessarily argumentative – even if you happen to have made some cogent points along the way.
Ahh, that's just the Rainman talkin'. There's a quite lot of that at the Pit. ....
Indeed. Everyone but me and thee – and I have doubts about … me. The problematic consequences of misinterpreting each other – interesting riff on the theme here. But part of the reason why I, and many others of course, tend to anathematize the rather narrow-minded moderation policies at places like FftB – no option or ability to correct those misinterpretations. Say, have I ever discussed the arcana and benefits of feedback? …. ;-)

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Speaking of Hensley, even PZ and Killstein are making fun of her now:

Reap

Post by Reap »

Jason loves me this much

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Mykeru wrote:I've found the most pointless perhaps POE on Twatter:
Ah, RobotAnna. I was doing a little research about the time of the start of Shit Reddit Says in conjunction with the timing of Elevatorgate, looking to see if that cultural influence had a bit to do with how Rebecca Watson started behaving. RobotAnna comes up prominately in the SRS story. Let's just say she has a lot of hate for her former self. Think A+ on steroids.

Reap

Post by Reap »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Jen has a new blog! I got to announce before that stalker Cavanaugh!!
http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... he-jenome/
And the patriarchy has already thrown her a curve ball:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... d-me-over/
Welcome to godaddy. Just in case anyone here decides to host their own blog/server/DNS, don't use GoDaddy. They are shit.

Also, go ahead and pay for one year only of a service you have not tested. See how Jen got screwed out of money for a service that is worthless to her? Yeah. It is kind of like that.
Godaddy is fucked up. I had them try to rip me off in a domain dispute. http://atheiststoday.com/blogs/reapercussions/?p=2890
I think that Jen starting her own blog is good. Her attitude about trolls seems to be more realistic too. She is young and life punched her in the face a couple times. At least she is trying to learn and grow from those blows and not stuck on "boo hoo poor me"

Reap

Post by Reap »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... he-jenome/
And the patriarchy has already thrown her a curve ball:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... d-me-over/
Welcome to godaddy. Just in case anyone here decides to host their own blog/server/DNS, don't use GoDaddy. They are shit.

Also, go ahead and pay for one year only of a service you have not tested. See how Jen got screwed out of money for a service that is worthless to her? Yeah. It is kind of like that.
Godaddy is fucked up. I had them try to rip me off in a domain dispute. http://atheiststoday.com/blogs/reapercussions/?p=2890
I think that Jen starting her own blog is good. Her attitude about trolls seems to be more realistic too. She is young and life punched her in the face a couple times. At least she is trying to learn and grow from those blows and not stuck on "boo hoo poor me"

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Skep tickle wrote:Finally: I have a hard time understanding what drives people to go to great lengths in order to try to conceive their own biological child when it's just not happening naturally. To me, that looks...well, maybe selfish is a reasonable word. But that's just my POV, and presumably someone who has faced that decision and made a different choice than I would would be better able to explain what it felt like to them.
I fall into the great lengths category. Did not want to be a "mother", but wanted to reproduce. So with a combination of IVF, AI and ICSI, I did. Three times. Probably selfish but what the hey. I love the little bastards.

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

I'm going to solve all these stupid goddamn arguments right now:

1) If you have kids, you're an awful, selfish person. Whenever I'm stuck behind a horde of assholes (regardless of age) at a crowded airport, I curse them and the horrid people who spawned them. Humans are the worst, and there should be fewer of them.

2) The 2nd Amendment was intentionally written that way as a joke. It's the eighteenth century equivalent of "I accidentally the whole thing." You've all been Founding Father trolled.

3) You can't kill a boar with a spear. There is no documented evidence that anyone has ever done this. Likewise, you can't stop a bear with pepperspray because they have an insulating fur layer which protects against it. You need a Mossberg belt-fed, full-auto, gas-powered, bolt-action .45 ACP shotgun with a scope and a laser sight.

4) Most militaries never used shotguns for combat, and it's disingenuous to claim otherwise. If the Romans thought shotguns were unsuitable for combat, why would assholes think they're suitable for home defense? #KnotUpForDebate

Ok, I think I've solved all your stupid bullshit, so now we can get back to the delicious drama that we all came [here] for to begin with: finely-tuned guitars.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

comslave wrote:
Married Spanish men can also face legal sanctions for refusing to do housework - an update in 2005 to the marriage contract used for the country's civil ceremonies added a clause requiring men to share in household duties, and the care of children and elderly relatives.

And that was it. That's it. That's what we needed to kill off marriage once and forever. We should put up a tombstone.
Pretty awesome. The death of marriage means relationship rules and boundaries are down to the individuals in the relationship. I hope feminists realize what the death of marriage means for women who want to have kids and raise a family.

James Caruthers

Reap wrote:Jason loves me this much
LOL

Well, that hardly even needs an armchair for one to make some reasonable assumptions about the sort of asspains this guy has been toting around since his school days. Does he still get nightmares about the swirlies? Oh sorry, he's French. "Le Swirle." (imagine an accent over the "e" since I don't have this keyboard set up for international)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Personally, I believe for an atheist to be good it is entailed that he adopt a responsible form of social justice.

And the potential for violence that guns bring is inconsistent with the required respect for human beauty and value. It's as if a religious group that suffered greatly then redefined themselves as a race, came out as double wielding nazis and out of sheer personal self interest became that which they hated.

Totally wrong.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh and I forgot. Crawling back to a proto fascist middle ageseighteenth century document whose infallibility justifies the possession of phallic substitute weaponry is simply QED. And don't start me on the man/bear pissing competition with fucking spears.

Am I still on topic? Have I caught up?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

And children define your value as a human.

John D

Post by John D »

Oh, this ought to be good. The Feds are investigating 55 major US Universities trying to determine Title IX violations. Title IX is the law that requires equal access for women to sports programs and protection from sexual discrimination. Let the witch hunt begin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu ... story.html

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

Brive1987 wrote:It's as if a religious group that suffered greatly then redefined themselves as a race, came out as double wielding nazis and out of sheer personal self interest became that which they hated.
Just to be clear, do you mean they're Nazis about the subject of double-wielding (ie, grammar Nazis), ore are they Nazi's who double-wield? Or do they double-wield Nazis?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Steersman wrote: And, even apart from AL's "aggressive egg" article, one might still argue that human females [aka "women"] generally engage in no small amount of selection before things even reach that point. Which, one might also argue, has an element of altruism associated with it, something other than unalloyed self-interest.
One may argue that you're typing with a large cucumber stuck up your butt. Which, one may also argue, is hooked up to a car battery, because, arguably, you like that kind of thing.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Liesmith wrote: 3) You can't kill a boar with a spear. There is no documented evidence that anyone has ever done this. Likewise, you can't stop a bear with pepperspray because they have an insulating fur layer which protects against it. You need a Mossberg belt-fed, full-auto, gas-powered, bolt-action .45 ACP shotgun with a scope and a laser sight.
The funniest thing: You think you're joking:

[youtube]m7vfmHv09_Y[/youtube]

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

real horrorshow wrote: Yes, in much the same way that many people can't tell the difference between Mykeru and the real thing, but we know it's all done with puppets and stew meat.
The fuck does that even mean?

Also, in an unrelated point because I don't want to serial post, I had no idea what an SRS was. Then I looked it up. Then I was sorry. Luckily Encyclopedia Dramatica explained it to me in a way that made me LOL.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

John D wrote:Oh, this ought to be good. The Feds are investigating 55 major US Universities trying to determine Title IX violations. Title IX is the law that requires equal access for women to sports programs and protection from sexual discrimination. Let the witch hunt begin.

Scary graphics that make no fucking sense.

And really. At this point in time, whenever an article discusses "sexual assault" they need to be explicit as to what they are talking about. Heck, they could even be talking about two drunk people having sex, but being completely happy about it afterwards.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

The delusion on show in Lousy Rapist's comment thread about the Stollznow/Radford case is breathtaking.

This one, for example, accuses Reap of slut shaming!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ent-677488

If Stollznow is guilty of of what Reap claims (and there seems to be at least one independent witness who backs him up) then she is guilty of sexual harassment - or at least, of the kind of sexually aggressive behavior that would be immediately described as sexual harassment if done by a man towards of of the SJL.
But is the act of reporting this behavior Reap exposes Stollznow as being sexually aggressive then he is, therefore, slut shaming her!

But wouldn't this mean that any reporting of sexual harassment is a kind of slut shaming (of the perpetrator)?

And this is only one example of the 'through-the-looking-glass' logic on show by these nincompoops.
:doh:

roguest

Post by roguest »

Reap wrote:Jason loves me this much
you are an evil shithead mra liar bastard dumbass assclown who lies and i am going to tell everyone who pays attention to me that you are an evil lying assclown bastard mra dumbass who lies

also i told you to leave me alone and stop stalking me you bully

Grwd

Post by Grwd »

Mykeru, stop slut-shaming Thimble-dick.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Did someone say belt fed shotgun?

Quiz

Post by Quiz »

So it looks like The Amazing Atheists friend brought up Shermergate in his podcast. So the chat narrowed it down to someone who is a youtuber, but they did not confirm it. Skip to 1:57:00

[youtube]_FDWbTmMZvM[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Liesmith wrote:I'm going to solve all these stupid goddamn arguments right now:

1) If you have kids, you're an awful, selfish person. Whenever I'm stuck behind a horde of assholes (regardless of age) at a crowded airport, I curse them and the horrid people who spawned them. Humans are the worst, and there should be fewer of them.

2) The 2nd Amendment was intentionally written that way as a joke. It's the eighteenth century equivalent of "I accidentally the whole thing." You've all been Founding Father trolled.

3) You can't kill a boar with a spear. There is no documented evidence that anyone has ever done this. Likewise, you can't stop a bear with pepperspray because they have an insulating fur layer which protects against it. You need a Mossberg belt-fed, full-auto, gas-powered, bolt-action .45 ACP shotgun with a scope and a laser sight.

4) Most militaries never used shotguns for combat, and it's disingenuous to claim otherwise. If the Romans thought shotguns were unsuitable for combat, why would assholes think they're suitable for home defense? #KnotUpForDebate

Ok, I think I've solved all your stupid bullshit, so now we can get back to the delicious drama that we all came [here] for to begin with: finely-tuned guitars.
With or without thumbs?

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

I am pretty sure having that first kid is almost certainly a selfish act, but truth be told, we had children in order to give the labs a boy to grow up with, so that makes our reproductive choice selfless and for animal benefit.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Grwd wrote:Mykeru, stop slut-shaming Thimble-dick.
Oh, come on, you know he wants it.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

rayshul wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Finally: I have a hard time understanding what drives people to go to great lengths in order to try to conceive their own biological child when it's just not happening naturally. To me, that looks...well, maybe selfish is a reasonable word. But that's just my POV, and presumably someone who has faced that decision and made a different choice than I would would be better able to explain what it felt like to them.
I fall into the great lengths category. Did not want to be a "mother", but wanted to reproduce. So with a combination of IVF, AI and ICSI, I did. Three times. Probably selfish but what the hey. I love the little bastards.
I don't care if you got three babies
You can work the stick in my Mercedes

Guestus Aurelius

John D wrote:Oh, this ought to be good. The Feds are investigating 55 major US Universities trying to determine Title IX violations. Title IX is the law that requires equal access for women to sports programs and protection from sexual discrimination. Let the witch hunt begin.

It's just a list of the schools currently being investigated, right? Or am I misreading it?

(In other words, business as usual, except for the list having been publicized, yes?)

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Hopefully Steersman will nobly self-replicate someday and make the world a better, sexier place:

[youtube]uzO2mi4uHAs[/youtube]

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Peezus on Chris Rodda:
Peezus wrote: PZ Myers
1 May 2014 at 8:21 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

I’m sure she was not asked to leave — I found the assumption that being called an atheist was defamatory to be annoying, but certainly not so awful to reject her contributions. Also, she and Ed are good buddies, so I can’t imagine him getting sufficiently upset over that to kick her out. It really takes sustained provocation and declarations that you detest every goal of this network to get yourself booted.

I’ve asked on the backchannel about it. Ed’s a night owl, so it might not be until much later that he says anything.
Looks like the horde is starting to notice that her blog is missing and they are inquiring about it. I guess we got wind of this before it even became common knowledge over there. Since PZ mentioned it, I wonder what Ed Brayton thinks of the way FTB is going these days. I never read his blog that much, but he seemed more down to earth than most of that crew. Is he secretly considering pulling out as well?

Aneris

Identity Models

Post by Aneris »

Press Middle To Enable Fast Scrolling

Just two observations on identity I found telling …
Zinnia Jones wrote:At the time, I made sure to clarify that I didn’t see myself as trans – not because I felt there was anything bad about being seen as trans, or because I saw this as some kind of affront to my identity, but simply because I didn’t want others to think that I could speak for trans people. Back then, I didn’t feel that my identity or my experiences were similar enough to trans people that I could legitimately speak as one of them, rather than just doing my best to advocate on their behalf. […]
Interesting that in all cultures some gang decides what their gang label means and who protect it fiercely from freeloaders and subversive elements that could “corrupt” it. It's another variant of the now familiar theme and suggesting that those people there really are, at heart, sheeples with authorities proper, who have set up defined ways of advancing in their hierarchy, who can speak and who can't speak for the tribe and so forth all of which is rationalized after the fact with some flimsy excuses. I find it rather bizarre that gender configurations, once no longer fixed, can be staked off by some gang, too, and someone must, it seems, first have permission to use the label. That would explain the perplexing situation that there are seemingly endless variants and names floating about. And it seems their respective communities each try to mark their territory — outsource or assimilate whole label groups according to their respective agenda.

In another thread, the art thread on Ophelia Bensons' with Matt Dillahunty, I found some other identity idea (I wanted to note):
Jason Thibeault wrote:I have to second what Ophelia said about “eating our own”. While I’m definitely an atheist, I am an intersectional one, which means I do not automatically count someone as part of my in-group just because they’re an atheist. Being intersectionally-minded means I consider all the axes on which I can agree or disagree with someone without counting them part of the tribe and excusing poor behaviour in one respect because they’re solid in another.

While I’m glad Adam claims to be a feminist and has done work for feminist causes, and I’m glad he reacted appropriately to the objections that were raised in person, I’m not sold on the way he actually tried to address those objections, and I’m further irritated that we’re now having to defend our objections on perception of women in the movement, and having to repeatedly clarify (to people like D4M10N, and now you, Matt) that it’s not about mere nudity or prudery. I thought the practice of steel-manning someone else’s argument was fundamental to being part of this community, and I dislike when arguments are intentionally misconstrued, especially when they’re entirely arguments about perception. Giving a misperception about an argument about perception hurts us all, intersectional atheists or not.
Wasn't “intersectionality” about a specific set of challenges that arise when some individual is a member of several categories, like —say— homeless and disabled, gay and black and so forth? It's not a topic I know much about, however I am quite confident that the folk who researched and came up with the idea would maintain that Thibeault has nothing to do with intersectionality, because that one isn't a label, but a model to capture sets of circumstances.

The whole idea of thinking in identity axis' for agreeing or disagreeing is completely assinine and has really no place in a community of critical thinkers (if it were such a thing). With charitable reading it could mean “not accepting a position because the group says so” — that's not even wrong. You are not agreeing that reality doesn't feature deities because you call yourself an atheist, and the group demands this view from you: it is the exact other way around. You aren't convinced reality features deities, hence when queried, your views come back with the label “atheistic”, and hence the category name is “atheist”. If you no longer think that, because you found Jesus, then, when queried, your views come out as “theistic”.

Thibeault also does typically SJW posturing again by assigning to himself the fancy freeform “intersectionality” label where, apparently the structure is given and agreed upon and then indeed forms an ingroup of social justice warriors. Otherwise his pointing out that he doesn't agree with some group on the basis of traditional label categories just underscores that he thinks in groups, but just replaced it with an updated concept. Also, only a half truth since no discernible disagreement materialized with his intersectional authoritarian movement.

By contrast, I doesn't even cross my mind to think about whether my views are in agreement with some groups. My views inform what categories best capture them, not the other way around. Discordianism is almost a complete anti-thesis which allows everybody to form cabals and make up the contents at will, and subvert them at will. It's a nonsense label that almost defeats itself, wouldn't it contain this particular premise. But these two views above, from Thibeault and Jones also strike me as the opposite of the familiar “stray cat” ideal that was once held up as typical for atheists.

What is conspiciously missing in Jason's description is individuality and pluralism, where individuals with complex views cooperate in one area, disagree in another and who are rather part of networks, not groups. There, the identity-label is not an all encompassing thing that envelopes the whole individual, but instead someone is part time this and part time that and together with others to form strategic alliances. Thibeault's and Jones' views remind me of culturalism (which includes both the christian/righ wing version, as well as the multi-culture version of the left) — a view where cultures are treated dominant over individuals, where cultures have wants that need to be catered to and where indivuals are thought of as belonging and trapped in their culture.

It is really comical that the FreeThought faction seems to be about people who really do think “top down” (and in authoritarian etc fashion). They are the flock of sheep, maybe a “horde” but certainly not stray cats. And no matter which way PZ Myers bends it, this isn't in the tradition of free thinkers and their ideals. It's literally counter factual to the name they gave themselves.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

More FTB lulz from the lounge thread:

Akira MacKenzie
1 May 2014 at 12:18 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment
I was cleaning out my pig sty of a room today, when one of my bookshelves collapsed. In the shuffle to find new shelves for my books, DVDs, and boxed games I came upon a few well-known titles written by Professor Muslima and Dr. Byclcle Shorts. I’m in a bit of quandary as to what to do with them. Should I…

1. Keep them on the grounds that their written work has no bearing on the terrible people they seem to be?

2. Donate them to the local library?

3. Perform a PZ-style book burial and return their atoms to the earth?

I also have some the Amazing Skeptic’s books as well, and since he doesn’t seem to want to ride herd over the assholes who run the organization that bears his name, I’m wondering if I should ditch those too.

Any thoughts?
A PZ style book burning burial. Hmm. They sure don't make freethought the way they used to.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Old_ones wrote:Peezus on Chris Rodda:
Peezus wrote: PZ Myers
1 May 2014 at 8:21 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

I’m sure she was not asked to leave — I found the assumption that being called an atheist was defamatory to be annoying, but certainly not so awful to reject her contributions. Also, she and Ed are good buddies, so I can’t imagine him getting sufficiently upset over that to kick her out. It really takes sustained provocation and declarations that you detest every goal of this network to get yourself booted.

I’ve asked on the backchannel about it. Ed’s a night owl, so it might not be until much later that he says anything.
Looks like the horde is starting to notice that her blog is missing and they are inquiring about it. I guess we got wind of this before it even became common knowledge over there. Since PZ mentioned it, I wonder what Ed Brayton thinks of the way FTB is going these days. I never read his blog that much, but he seemed more down to earth than most of that crew. Is he secretly considering pulling out as well?
My $20 says PeeZus learned about it from reading the Pit.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Quiz wrote:So it looks like The Amazing Atheists friend brought up Shermergate in his podcast. So the chat narrowed it down to someone who is a youtuber, but they did not confirm it. Skip to 1:57:00

So is that chat log still available?

Guestus Aurelius

I really don't think the PutZ reads the ’pit regularly.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:I really don't think the PutZ reads the ’pit regularly.
Oh I'm pretty sure PZ reads the pit diligently

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

And on a retread note, people on twitter are still annoyed with Melody. Someone really needs to walk over to her twitter account and set it to private. She expects the world to change to accommodate her. And I thought her husband was blocking twitter accounts for her...
What she describes doesn't sound very nice, but I am having trouble finding what she is talking about. The worst I saw was this: And I found this tweet humorous.

didymos

Post by didymos »

I think Elyse may be the anthropomorphic personification of "TMI":

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Lsuoma wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:From Chris Rodda's FB page:

http://www.alstefanelli.com/rodda.png
Too bad that the comments in question are now gone. I would be interesting what they were about.
Two-Cows claims Chris Rodda as a close friend, which is why she ended up at FfTB. It always seemed odd to me...
Ed Brayton and Chris Rodda go way back. CR wrote at several prog / left political sites that were secular-friendly - talk2action, huffpo, etc... Ed Brayton has had her on his radar since she dismantled that Texas douchebag 'historian' who came up with a new definition of 'church and state'... name escapes me atm. David Barton? something like that.

Anyway, they actually were, and probably still are good friends.

TBH, EB has a soft spot for the SJW bullshit, but is not well versed in it. He's stepped in it a few times and wished he hadn't. Privately, I'm certain he wishes he wasn't at FtB.

Aristocat

Post by Aristocat »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:I really don't think the PutZ reads the ’pit regularly.
Oh I'm pretty sure PZ reads the pit diligently
Really? what makes you say that?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

SoylentAtheist wrote:And on a retread note, people on twitter are still annoyed with Melody. Someone really needs to walk over to her twitter account and set it to private. She expects the world to change to accommodate her. And I thought her husband was blocking twitter accounts for her...
What she describes doesn't sound very nice, but I am having trouble finding what she is talking about. The worst I saw was this: And I found this tweet humorous.
http://i.imgur.com/uQflsxo.jpg?1

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

didymos wrote:I think Elyse may be the anthropomorphic personification of "TMI":
Too much imbibing

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

didymos wrote:I think Elyse may be the anthropomorphic personification of "TMI":
THE ARISTOCRATS!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Parody Accountant wrote:
THE ARISTOCRATS!
How has her husband not eaten the barrel of a shotgun yet? i want to just reading her tweets.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
THE ARISTOCRATS!
How has her husband not eaten the barrel of a shotgun yet? i want to just reading her tweets.
Mistress won't allow it. She needs a butler to fetch her drink.....and probably act as a human footrest.

James Caruthers

I bet Elyse and Stollz get together and swing with their doormats-I mean, husbands.

Sometimes it gets boring having the same gimp all the time. You gotta trade around.

Quiz

Post by Quiz »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Quiz wrote:So it looks like The Amazing Atheists friend brought up Shermergate in his podcast. So the chat narrowed it down to someone who is a youtuber, but they did not confirm it. Skip to 1:57:00

So is that chat log still available?
I don't know, even if there was, I wouldn't know how to get them.