Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
justinvacula

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by justinvacula »

James Caruthers wrote:
John D wrote: Sheesh yourself. I was referring to a fantasy genre and not an actual historical event or official historical "period". Most people would understand what I mean here. I am referring to movies like "Clash of the Titans" and new TV shows like the BBC's "Atlantis". "Sparta" and "300" fall into this category as well. No one thinks this stuff is historically accurate.

I actually really liked the recent re-do of "Clash of the Titans". It was entertaining throughout. This stuff can be good... or it can be bad (as may be the case for the recent 300 movie).

and yes... this has almost nothing to do with how much of a cunt Watson is, or how hypocritical PZ is, or how stupid Laden is.
The giant scorpions were fucking awful.

Ray Harryhausen didn't have much shame, but even he wouldn't have thrown in fucking giant scorpions that are created out of blood. Clash of the Titans makes 300 look like Rome. I don't even know what that means.

I did enjoy seeing the gods re-imagined as crazy heavy metal fans.
http://mustbethistalltoride.files.wordp ... titans.jpg
[youtube]srhGMxOWviw[/youtube]

John D

Post by John D »

Lsuoma wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:Unicorn abortions, even late trimester, are necessary. That shit rips you up on the way out. Unless you're pregnant with one of those ultra-rare hornless unicorns.
If you want to know how scary unicorns REALLY are, go read Equoid by Charles Stross.
Have youall every watched unicorn planet. Strangely wonderful IMHO.

[youtube]L6UWR0kSFcE[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Ok PZ, how exactly does a cut and paste comment only share a similar "general theme" with itself?

http://i.imgur.com/dJsCvaC.jpg

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

free thoughtpolice wrote:It looks like Chas C Petersen aka Vas Deferens De Milo is going to get the banhammer soon. PZ and his baboon troop are turning on him.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments
If you want to know what it was like under Stalin, when people at meetings would menacingly denounce those who didn't follow the party line, you just have to read this thread. It's unbelievable. Here's the jovial Louis alias Prosecutor General Krylenko:
I see Chas (truly the herpes of fuckwitted tin ear possessors on this subject) has come back to comment AGAIN, even after being asked not to comment by PZ on abortion related thread due to the aforementioned pointlessly contrarian (and notably substance free) shittings on similar threads. What a total piece of shit! Wasn’t he promising to fuck off? A consummation devoutly to be wished.
Anthony K in his emulation of Lavrentiy Beria:
Chas, as far as I can tell, you’re pretty much disliked by most here, or at best, tolerated. Even I once begrudgingly respected you, though I’ve not felt much for you beyond pity and revulsion in years. PZ has had some soft spot for you for some time, which is why you haven’t been banned, despite doing little beyond trolling threads with stupid ‘Firsts’ (while avoiding the specific word). And despite all that, you can’t even muster the gratitude to acknowledge that if you were any random n00b, you’d have been tossed years ago
But then, to his horror, Anthony suddenly realises that he may have been out of line by presuming to know the great Stalin's PZ's motives. So he quickly corrects himself:
Anthony K

16 March 2014 at 1:48 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment

My apologies; I shouldn’t presume to know PZ’s motivations as I did in my second paragraph after the first blockquote.
These people are beyond fucked up. They're scary. Give them a uniform and authority over life and dead and I see them beating Chas to pulp.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Re Zvan now essentially refusing to allow any discussion about abortion until everyone capitulates completely on "abortion on demand":

1) Her beef, she says, is that people aren't acknowledging her right to bodily autonomy. (Personalizing the issue, claiming a bigger stake in it than anyone who doesn't totally agree, IMO making it more emotional not less.)
Svan, like Greta Christina and Zinnia Jones, has as much to fear about her own personal bodily autonomy being affected by any hypothetical change in the abortion laws as Peezus does.
Years ago she wrote about having undergone a hysterectomy. She cannot have an abortion any more than Myers can.
Of course she can have empathy for women who may have this choice in the future - but guess what, all of us non womb-bearers are in the same boat.
There goes Dick Strawkins again, showing off about having memorized the internet. :D

I found this from 10/2009: http://almostdiamonds.blogspot.com/2009 ... cated.html

In which Zvan says she had a cervical biopsy, had gotten the results, didn't have cancer but had CIN2-3 (dysplasia, often referred to as "pre-cancer"):
The most common method for treating what I've got is a conization, or cone biopsy. ...

The problem is that conization won't remove all the tissue I need removed. ...

The next step is to meet with an oncologist to decide whether this can safely be done in a less-invasive manner, probably with lasers in addition to the conization or whether I'll need to lose enough of the cervix that I'll have to have a hysterectomy.
She posted in 2011 that she had ended up having a LEEP (= loop electrosurgical excision procedure) + laser, not hysterectomy; she still has her cervix & uterus: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... mment-2205

But going back to the 2009 post: In a blow to the concept of absolute bodily autonomy, she added this regarding the treatment decision:
The discussion, of course, will be complicated by my tolerance for this sort of risk--and what my insurance company is willing to pay for. Yes, they have a certain say in this as well.
And, in a sign of how much things have changed, her post there from 2 days later includes this:
Abbie at ERV also wrote a post that made my unforgiving self very happy. (What? It's a virus. It doesn't care how I feel about it.) She explained why the vaccine can do permanent good--why we don't need to be too concerned about another HPV strain taking over and causing the same number of cancers as the vaccine prevents.

Post by Guest »

I shall post this as a guest to avoid some unwelcome attention. The fascist tit will be the only one with access to my IP!

There's no need to debate abortion in terms of personhood, viability, or even pain sensation. It's the worst kind of hair-splitting and stops us from grasping the nettle. It is the ending of a life and if we can't admit that we should be asking for them. But ending a life isn't necessarily murder. Self-defense, times of war and assisted suicides are either generally accepted (or are in some jurisdictions) as examples of killing that do not constitute murder. We don't seem to have got to the point where we look at abortion that way as yet, and probably because it is unlike the others in that there is a choice involved. Sometimes ending a life is the lesser of two evils, and I'm sure society as a whole is better off if unwanted pregnancies are quietly and safely brought to an end. Past civilisations (and in some countries still) the same function is performed by infanticide, which seems less palatable to me. I have no problems with philosophers discussing possible secular arguments for or against abortion. MP specifically says he is in favour of abortion on demand. I think he is being tramped on simply because some choose to see him as telling them what to feel. I'd rather he kept thinking on the topic so that he can help us move to a place where ending an unwanted pregnancy is handled more rationally than at present.

I should confess that I have a dog in this fight. I have performed abortions in the past, and still refer patients for them. I am the only doc in town who does; the others send their patients to me so that I can write the referral letter and they won't dirty their hands. Presumably they feel there is an ethical difference, though I can't see it, between sending the patient to me rather than directly to the GYN. I don't mind, as it's better than placing more hurdles in front of the women who need one. I tell them it's their decision, not mine, and we will make everything work out the way they want it to go. Abortion on demand? Of course. I sleep just fine, thanks for asking!
There was a nice quote over at Rationally Speaking from the cartoonist Ted Rall:
Abortion is murder. In my view women have—and ought to continue to have—the right to murder their unborn babies. Each abortion is a tragedy, some necessary and others not, and all of them are murder.
I don't think we have to use the word 'murder' but it is killing, and it is sometimes necessary, and it is always the woman's right to choose when it is necessary.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Skep tickle wrote:Go for it, Stephanie Zvan. Tweet your little whistle and light your little powder keg and test out your self-obsessed pretense that your self-important patrolling is all that's keeping the atheist/skeptic movement from complete and utter destruction.

Let's see you unleash the force of anger of atheist womanhood and cause the atheist-skeptic movement to come crashing down, like you're threatening. I double dog dare you.

And I don't mean picking on more individuals, trying to interfere in their lives or hold them up for ridicule, like you've done to so many people. I mean, make good on your threat in your comment from your blog, copied above. Go for it.
:dance:

Really?

Post by Really? »

Jan Steen wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:It looks like Chas C Petersen aka Vas Deferens De Milo is going to get the banhammer soon. PZ and his baboon troop are turning on him.
If you want to know what it was like under Stalin, when people at meetings would menacingly denounce those who didn't follow the party line, you just have to read this thread. It's unbelievable. Here's the jovial Louis alias Prosecutor General Krylenko:
I see Chas (truly the herpes of fuckwitted tin ear possessors on this subject) has come back to comment AGAIN, even after being asked not to comment by PZ on abortion related thread due to the aforementioned pointlessly contrarian (and notably substance free) shittings on similar threads. What a total piece of shit! Wasn’t he promising to fuck off? A consummation devoutly to be wished.
Chas, as far as I can tell, you’re pretty much disliked by most here, or at best, tolerated. Even I once begrudgingly respected you, though I’ve not felt much for you beyond pity and revulsion in years. PZ has had some soft spot for you for some time, which is why you haven’t been banned, despite doing little beyond trolling threads with stupid ‘Firsts’ (while avoiding the specific word). And despite all that, you can’t even muster the gratitude to acknowledge that if you were any random n00b, you’d have been tossed years ago
But then, to his horror, Anthony suddenly realises that he may have been out of line by presuming to know the great Stalin's PZ's motives. So he quickly corrects himself:
Anthony K

My apologies; I shouldn’t presume to know PZ’s motivations as I did in my second paragraph after the first blockquote.
These people are beyond fucked up. They're scary. Give them a uniform and authority over life and dead and I see them beating Chas to pulp.
Hey, check it out. It's Hitchens from beyond the grave narrating some footage of what's going on over at FTB:

[youtube]daFepo_3mDQ[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Brive1987 wrote:Ok PZ, how exactly does a cut and paste comment only share a similar "general theme" with itself?

http://i.imgur.com/dJsCvaC.jpg
Meh. PZ is more full of shit than a toilet at the end of Glastonbury.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I kind of take back what I said about Kilstein. Maybe it's part of a career strategy. He's not funny enough to really make it as a stand-up, but he can cater to an underserved(?)niche audience of SJW's. He'll be the SJW comic! If his only competition is Twatson then he stands a chance of making it work, despite his liabilities of being white, cis, and (presumably)straight.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Jan Steen wrote: Anthony K in his emulation of Lavrentiy Beria:
Chas, as far as I can tell, you’re pretty much disliked by most here, or at best, tolerated. Even I once begrudgingly respected you, though I’ve not felt much for you beyond pity and revulsion in years.
"Even I"?

Damn, I'm impressed, Chas! Even the great, hard-to-impress Anthony K once respected you! You must have said some really smart things back in the day to have been held begrudgingly in high regard by someone with so discerning and keen a mind!

Oh, wait a second... is this the same Anthony K who never figured out that "getting pussy" has nothing to do with cats?

:think:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Guest wrote:I shall post this as a guest to avoid some unwelcome attention. The fascist tit will be the only one with access to my IP!

There's no need to debate abortion in terms of personhood, viability, or even pain sensation. It's the worst kind of hair-splitting and stops us from grasping the nettle. It is the ending of a life and if we can't admit that we should be asking for them. But ending a life isn't necessarily murder. Self-defense, times of war and assisted suicides are either generally accepted (or are in some jurisdictions) as examples of killing that do not constitute murder. We don't seem to have got to the point where we look at abortion that way as yet, and probably because it is unlike the others in that there is a choice involved. Sometimes ending a life is the lesser of two evils, and I'm sure society as a whole is better off if unwanted pregnancies are quietly and safely brought to an end. Past civilisations (and in some countries still) the same function is performed by infanticide, which seems less palatable to me. I have no problems with philosophers discussing possible secular arguments for or against abortion. MP specifically says he is in favour of abortion on demand. I think he is being tramped on simply because some choose to see him as telling them what to feel. I'd rather he kept thinking on the topic so that he can help us move to a place where ending an unwanted pregnancy is handled more rationally than at present.

I should confess that I have a dog in this fight. I have performed abortions in the past, and still refer patients for them. I am the only doc in town who does; the others send their patients to me so that I can write the referral letter and they won't dirty their hands. Presumably they feel there is an ethical difference, though I can't see it, between sending the patient to me rather than directly to the GYN. I don't mind, as it's better than placing more hurdles in front of the women who need one. I tell them it's their decision, not mine, and we will make everything work out the way they want it to go. Abortion on demand? Of course. I sleep just fine, thanks for asking!
There was a nice quote over at Rationally Speaking from the cartoonist Ted Rall:
Abortion is murder. In my view women have—and ought to continue to have—the right to murder their unborn babies. Each abortion is a tragedy, some necessary and others not, and all of them are murder.
I don't think we have to use the word 'murder' but it is killing, and it is sometimes necessary, and it is always the woman's right to choose when it is necessary.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

This. (Even though I prefer viability outside the uterus as the cut-off.)

(Guest, could you clarify one line? "It is the ending of a life and if we can't admit that we should be asking for them." Them what? Thanks!)

katamari Damassi

It doesn't look like Zarif(FfTB's new blogger)is going to fit in well with the baboons. After making obeisance to them with a post declaring himself a feminist(in the shallow "women are actually people" sense)he then posts about how much he likes Bill Maher, Seth McFarlane, and Andrew Sullivan(ugh, Little Roy Cohn). He'll probably receive a race pass, and not be challenged on speaking well of suppressive persons. He'll likely be ignored by them the way they ignore Singham. I wish Patheos would pick up Singham. He's too good for FfTB.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Via a tweet from Cathy Young, comes this excerpt of an interview with Philip Roth:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/books ... books&_r=1

Sunday Book Review|Interview | Philip Roth
My Life as a Writer

MARCH 2, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/Gcs8ZbC.jpg

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Chas, as far as I can tell, you’re pretty much disliked by most here, or at best, tolerated. Even I once begrudgingly respected you, though I’ve not felt much for you beyond pity and revulsion in years.
"Even I"?

Damn, I'm impressed, Chas! Even the great, hard-to-impress Anthony K once respected you! You must have said some really smart things back in the day to have been held begrudgingly in high regard by someone with so discerning and keen a mind!

Oh, wait a second... is this the same Anthony K who never figured out that "getting pussy" has nothing to do with cats?

:think:
Be careful, one day Anthony K is going to conquer the world from his mother's basement. You don't want to be on his List.

Really?

Post by Really? »

katamari Damassi wrote:I kind of take back what I said about Kilstein. Maybe it's part of a career strategy. He's not funny enough to really make it as a stand-up, but he can cater to an underserved(?)niche audience of SJW's. He'll be the SJW comic! If his only competition is Twatson then he stands a chance of making it work, despite his liabilities of being white, cis, and (presumably)straight.
Like the rest of us, I'm totally cool with homosexuals...but...

Jamie Kilstein is straight?

Huh. People seem to think he's straight.

https://www.google.com/#q=jamie+kilstein+straight

Either way, he is a shit comedian. It's the same reason that radical conservatives can't do comedy. Comedy must be irreverent. Who, aside from FTB looneys, would want to go to a comedy club to be lectured on white privilege and misogyny?

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/EAKxBk5.jpg

However 'rape jokes' harass women...I don't know.

Anyway...

[youtube]8O8AEVMCcYU[/youtube]
“Here’s the thing. You clearly had everything handed to you and you know what tells me that? The amount of time you put into how you look because that’s all that matters to people like you. There’s no reason to cultivate a personality because you have everything handed to you because guys like that just want to put it into anything with a hole. And that’s the problem.”
“Nobody cares what you think. No one has ever cared what you think. That’s it. All of you, just stop. Just go. I literally see four exit signs from where I’m standing. It’s not hard to like figure out where to go. There’s the fifth one, it’s by the side.”

His idea of putting down hecklers is just to rant at them, whine a lot, insult them, tell them this is his hour and a half and they have to stop talking

WTF

He should see a real comedian deal with hecklers ... it is FUNNY ... heckling is part of the show ... it's the audience participation in a comedy show - FFS if you cant shut a heckler down with a funny joke then why the fuck do you think 5 minutes of insulting their dress appearance and personality will work

I refer you to Jimmy Carr for an example of how to put down hecklers [youtube]PzLlLM7Rgm8[/youtube]

katamari Damassi

Really? wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I kind of take back what I said about Kilstein. Maybe it's part of a career strategy. He's not funny enough to really make it as a stand-up, but he can cater to an underserved(?)niche audience of SJW's. He'll be the SJW comic! If his only competition is Twatson then he stands a chance of making it work, despite his liabilities of being white, cis, and (presumably)straight.
Like the rest of us, I'm totally cool with homosexuals...but...

Jamie Kilstein is straight?

Huh. People seem to think he's straight.

https://www.google.com/#q=jamie+kilstein+straight

Either way, he is a shit comedian. It's the same reason that radical conservatives can't do comedy. Comedy must be irreverent. Who, aside from FTB looneys, would want to go to a comedy club to be lectured on white privilege and misogyny?
He pings my gaydar too, but then I've known some pretty femmy straight guys. I blame the veganism.

Post by Guest »

Skep tickle wrote:
Guest wrote:I shall post this as a guest to avoid some unwelcome attention. The fascist tit will be the only one with access to my IP!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

This. (Even though I prefer viability outside the uterus as the cut-off.)

(Guest, could you clarify one line? "It is the ending of a life and if we can't admit that we should be asking for them." Them what? Thanks!)
Them = abortions. Edit button didn't work....I'm oppressed.

didymos

Post by didymos »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/EAKxBk5.jpg

However 'rape jokes' harass women...I don't know.

Anyway...

[youtube]8O8AEVMCcYU[/youtube]
“Here’s the thing. You clearly had everything handed to you and you know what tells me that? The amount of time you put into how you look because that’s all that matters to people like you. There’s no reason to cultivate a personality because you have everything handed to you because guys like that just want to put it into anything with a hole. And that’s the problem.”
“Nobody cares what you think. No one has ever cared what you think. That’s it. All of you, just stop. Just go. I literally see four exit signs from where I’m standing. It’s not hard to like figure out where to go. There’s the fifth one, it’s by the side.”

His idea of putting down hecklers is just to rant at them, whine a lot, insult them, tell them this is his hour and a half and they have to stop talking

WTF

He should see a real comedian deal with hecklers ... it is FUNNY ... heckling is part of the show ... it's the audience participation in a comedy show - FFS if you cant shut a heckler down with a funny joke then why the fuck do you think 5 minutes of insulting their dress appearance and personality will work

I refer you to Jimmy Carr for an example of how to put down hecklers [youtube]PzLlLM7Rgm8[/youtube]

What to do when the entire audience is heckling:

[youtube]rNnkDjMVJqE[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

http://i.imgur.com/HCMCHBk.png?1

I'm sorry, did I miss where someone expressed that they cared whether PZ Myers would "trade one woman" for anything?

It's pretty clear he HAS been content to "trade one woman" for all sorts of things.

He let his commentariat pile on Ellenbeth Wachs, if I remember correctly, in one of the Adria Richards threads, when she pointed out that she actually has experience running conferences and that based on that experience she thought the way that conference-brouhaha was handled was inappropriate. As I recall, EBW was polite & level-headed (her usual self, in other words).

He banned Rosie (I think that was her name), apparently a first-time woman commenter, in a thread in which he asked for input about rules for Pharyngula, specifically asking to hear from new people. Rosie, too, was polite and level-headed.

He banned me, in the thread in which he claimed he wanted to hear from people with different views on "feminism", in which he said in his OP "So let’s try an experiment. Let’s hear from some of these anti-feminists. I’d like them to comment here and explain themselves, and to do so a little more deeply than just reiterating dogmatic excuses." (I never got past 1st base, was still pointing out the shifting sands & the straw-people in his OP when he banned me. I can't necessarily say I was polite and level-headed; I think some snark snuck out.)

So, yeah, PZ Myers has been more than willing to "trade one woman" on multiple occasions, not for CPAC but apparently to have a tighter grip on his fiefdom.

In the comments after PZ's "Trade one woman" post, Chas gets in at #1 with "I s’pose Silverman just doesn’t buy the analogy of atheists to correctly progressive baseball cards" and pisses everyone off (the calls for him to be stomped on by PZ have been already posted here).

Later, Chas asks the Horde whether they would prefer Silverman's organization change its name to "American Dictionary Atheists" :lol:

Southern

Post by Southern »

John Greg wrote:I might be a tad late to the party, but I really must join the Chorus of Mirth regarding Zvan's promise/threat to unleash the mewling puppies of waggy war!

Jesus, talk about laughable pretention! Fuck me, but, Stefunny, you really are fucking hilarious.

Sometimes you don't even have to bring the funny to these clowns; they carry their own laugh train with them.

Unleash the killer manatees!

And what will Herr Lah-den's role be? Fluffer to the troopettes? More like FlufferNutter probably.
She can always hire the services of the mighty Intellectual Artillery, Tour de Force Extraordinaire, Dick Carrier The First.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:I see no difference between anyone who liked the first episode of the new Cosmos and David Silverman or Massimo Pigliucci or Mark Lépine.
Or Victor Ivanoff or Franc Hoggle or...

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

justinvacula wrote:Since it is my MO...

http://i.imgur.com/qQwVGhO.jpg
I'm picking Daddy issues for $20, thanks Justin.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Courteney Caldwell's picture scares me. She makes Ophie look like a sweet old grandma.

katamari Damassi

KiwiInOz wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Since it is my MO...

http://i.imgur.com/qQwVGhO.jpg
I'm picking Daddy issues for $20, thanks Justin.
That might explain why she's going for the Avril Lavigne 2005 look.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Skep tickle wrote: He banned me, in the thread in which he claimed he wanted to hear from people with different views on "feminism", in which he said in his OP "So let’s try an experiment. Let’s hear from some of these anti-feminists. I’d like them to comment here and explain themselves, and to do so a little more deeply than just reiterating dogmatic excuses." (I never got past 1st base, was still pointing out the shifting sands & the straw-people in his OP when he banned me. I can't necessarily say I was polite and level-headed; I think some snark snuck out.)
You gotta watch out for those Hundred Flowers Campaigns.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Hi Chas if you're reading this! :clap: I put a smiley in there because I know you like them.
I've been reading the Thunderdome and judging from comments #234 and on and it sounds like you might have to do some apologizing to PZ and his horde. The nerve of you hinting that they may be excessively PC and operate like a hive mind.
You could tell them that you have contracted a temporary mental illness from hanging out at the Slymepit, and you are better now though you are so consumed by guilt that you now see yourself for the broken, useless cis hetero white dude that you are.
Maybe they will forgive you, learn to love you and even offer you babysitting jobs.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Maybe they will forgive you, learn to love you and even offer you babysitting jobs.
Did you know? Male babysitters make more than women! When will the sexism end!

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... men/284426

As a bonus, please, read this comment. I am LOLing:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... 1286413630

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

PZ Myers wrote:Dana Hunter won’t compromise on some things, and trading one Dana Hunter for even a million freakish conservatives wouldn’t be a fair deal.
This kind of rhetoric should be all too familiar to anyone with even the most superficial education in human history. "One of us is worth more than X of them." Words spoken by genocidal war mongers through the ages.

I am all for unrestricted abortion. My best argument? The aborted fetus could have become a second PZ Myers.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ip-of-cpac

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Hi Chas if you're reading this! :clap: I put a smiley in there because I know you like them.
I've been reading the Thunderdome and judging from comments #234 and on and it sounds like you might have to do some apologizing to PZ and his horde. The nerve of you hinting that they may be excessively PC and operate like a hive mind.
You could tell them that you have contracted a temporary mental illness from hanging out at the Slymepit, and you are better now though you are so consumed by guilt that you now see yourself for the broken, useless cis hetero white dude that you are.
Maybe they will forgive you, learn to love you and even offer you babysitting jobs.
Oh, goodie. Another opportunity to test the current meaning of "UNMODERATED".

:popcorn:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

another lurker wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: Maybe they will forgive you, learn to love you and even offer you babysitting jobs.

Damn, that guy is one determined piece of shit.
So disgusted today with the millions of self absorbed females and double standard that I will no longer stand by watch a callous women drop clothing items in a store, revoltingly pretending not to notice, only to leave the item on the floor to be damaged, she being too lazy and disrespectful of the store other shoppers, drawing public attention to the repugnant female, I voicing displeasure and requesting the female to correct her vulgar behavior right then and there, like training a puppy.
:lol:

windy

Post by windy »

He's right about that last part (but maybe it wasn't necessary to "toss out" all those n00bs either?)
Jan Steen wrote:Give them a uniform and authority over life and dead and I see them beating Chas to pulp.
I don't know about that, that sounds like work.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Hi Chas if you're reading this! :clap: I put a smiley in there because I know you like them.
I thought it takes a bit more effort to become a beloved babysitter for the horde.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Skep tickle wrote:http://i.imgur.com/HCMCHBk.png?1

I'm sorry, did I miss where someone expressed that they cared whether PZ Myers would "trade one woman" for anything?

It's pretty clear he HAS been content to "trade one woman" for all sorts of things.

He let his commentariat pile on Ellenbeth Wachs, if I remember correctly, in one of the Adria Richards threads, when she pointed out that she actually has experience running conferences and that based on that experience she thought the way that conference-brouhaha was handled was inappropriate. As I recall, EBW was polite & level-headed (her usual self, in other words).

He banned Rosie (I think that was her name), apparently a first-time woman commenter, in a thread in which he asked for input about rules for Pharyngula, specifically asking to hear from new people. Rosie, too, was polite and level-headed.

He banned me, in the thread in which he claimed he wanted to hear from people with different views on "feminism", in which he said in his OP "So let’s try an experiment. Let’s hear from some of these anti-feminists. I’d like them to comment here and explain themselves, and to do so a little more deeply than just reiterating dogmatic excuses." (I never got past 1st base, was still pointing out the shifting sands & the straw-people in his OP when he banned me. I can't necessarily say I was polite and level-headed; I think some snark snuck out.)

So, yeah, PZ Myers has been more than willing to "trade one woman" on multiple occasions, not for CPAC but apparently to have a tighter grip on his fiefdom.

In the comments after PZ's "Trade one woman" post, Chas gets in at #1 with "I s’pose Silverman just doesn’t buy the analogy of atheists to correctly progressive baseball cards" and pisses everyone off (the calls for him to be stomped on by PZ have been already posted here).

Later, Chas asks the Horde whether they would prefer Silverman's organization change its name to "American Dictionary Atheists" :lol:
The "I support women as long as they don't try and think for themselves" club. Frankly, I hate misogynists like Myers. I'm trying to raise daughters who aren't interested in what some dude thinks of them, thank you very much.

Really?

Post by Really? »

another lurker wrote:

The babysitting article drove me fucking batty. Why? Because the headline is about a .50 disparity in babysitting fees. However...

THE ARTICLE POINTS OUT THAT 97% OF BABYSITTERS ARE FEMALE. I just LOVE how that .50 disparity is far more important than the ridiculous sexism in the babysitting industry.

Further, the article points out that men are perceived as child molesters...even by men.

But let's focus on a wage gap of fifty cents.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Wherein I take my love of old things to the next level. Also, The Untouchables. Unchecked Victrola privilege.

[youtube]U3BJSZWTzNw[/youtube]

MikP

Post by MikP »

James Caruthers wrote: Ray Harryhausen didn't have much shame, but even he wouldn't have thrown in fucking giant scorpions that are created out of blood.
Except.......

He did. :character-blues:

[youtube]rD0cRsIsVrE[/youtube]

(Sorry, the movie person in me had to intervene.)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest wrote: There was a nice quote over at Rationally Speaking from the cartoonist Ted Rall:
Welp, my position is that it is murder if it is mine and killing if it is anyone else (with the usual exceptions). This may strike some as hypocrisy and they would be right.

But that is what my emotional experience has been between the theory and the rubber meeting the road.

Speaking of emotions, we have the recent case of an UCSB Professor Faces Assault Charges After Dispute With Pro-Life Protesters
Feminist studies Professor Mireille Miller-Young is facing vandalism, battery, and robbery charges after an incident in the Arbor last Tuesday, March 4, in which she took and destroyed a poster depicting graphic images of aborted fetuses displayed by members of Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust, a Riverside-based pro-life group.
So why did the prof steal the sign?
“Miller-Young went on to say that because the poster was upsetting to her and her students, she felt that the activists did not have a right to be there,” the crime report states.
According to the crime report, Miller-Young said her response to the protestors may have been influenced by the fact that she is preparing to undergo a test that will determine if her child has Down Syndrome. In addition, she offered to pay for the sign and expressed interest in an out-of-court settlement, but maintained the protestors had violated her rights.
Read the article, the reasons given are all over the map. I even saw "triggering" hauled out.

Whatever man. Fuck.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

another lurker wrote:

Male babysitters? I thought that was illegal? :bjarte:

welch

Post by welch »

Jan Steen wrote:
Anthony K

Ah, I think of all the times Chas DeSvenzo has talked about FTB like it's some bastion of fair play.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

windy

Post by windy »

EdwardGemmer wrote: I'm trying to raise daughters who aren't interested in what some dude thinks of them, thank you very much.
You're raising them as lesbians? ;)

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Gumby wrote:I never said I was mature.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 5b5ede.jpg
Good gawd, that is GROSS.

I'll need 5 dozen to wallpaper the spare bedroom. You'll take a check?

You are the King of baboon thrashers :lol: :lol:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:http://i.imgur.com/HCMCHBk.png?1

<snip>
The "I support women as long as they don't try and think for themselves" club. Frankly, I hate misogynists like Myers. I'm trying to raise daughters who aren't interested in what some dude thinks of them, thank you very much.
Ha, yes, exactly. Plus, this important subset of that qualification: "I support women as long as they agree that I support women"

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

:lol:

John D

Post by John D »

Mykeru wrote:Wherein I take my love of old things to the next level. Also, The Untouchables. Unchecked Victrola privilege.

[youtube]U3BJSZWTzNw[/youtube]
That is really fucking cool!

welch

Post by welch »

No, no, you don't get those until you diddle a tween. Duh.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Anyone notice Rebecca getting verklempt in her last video? Around 1:30 before the cut. Could explain the sudden stampede of new patrons. I wouldn't be surprised if a bawling PZ is 10 of them -- Hold on sweet everlovin' sugar dumpling honey pie, DADDY'S COOOOMING!

http://imgur.com/2HpCsNR.jpg

free thoughtpolice

Ape+lust wrote:Anyone notice Rebecca getting verklempt in her last video? Around 1:30 before the cut. Could explain the sudden stampede of new patrons. I wouldn't be surprised if a bawling PZ is 10 of them -- Hold on sweet everlovin' sugar dumpling honey pie, DADDY'S COOOOMING!

Are those unaltered pics ?

dogen

Post by dogen »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:Anyone notice Rebecca getting verklempt in her last video? Around 1:30 before the cut. Could explain the sudden stampede of new patrons. I wouldn't be surprised if a bawling PZ is 10 of them -- Hold on sweet everlovin' sugar dumpling honey pie, DADDY'S COOOOMING!

Probably not; I'm thinking that a Gaussian blur has been used to hide the many divots in RW's face (otherwise we might have thought these were close-up shots of orange peel). The patriarchy at work etc.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

http://i.imgur.com/ReVqfkS.jpg

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

No, this is unaltered:

http://imgur.com/3qRbC2M.jpg

Yeah, they're untouched. It happens in a fraction of a second. She's talking about (what else?) trolls driving her to depression and medication, and makes an I'm-gonna-blubber face, then it cuts. Aaaand BOOM, 40 fresh suckers show up with their wallets open.

free thoughtpolice

OK then
becky monkey3.jpg
(78.3 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Mykeru wrote:Wherein I take my love of old things to the next level. Also, The Untouchables. Unchecked Victrola privilege.

Wow, that thing is damn near mint. I had a friend with a box amplifier Victrola and the music was always accompanied with a rrrrRRRRrrrrRRRR thrum as the spindle ground off-center or something. It's remarkable how loud those things can get with just a needle, a membrane, and some piping.

This is the best version of that song, BTW.

[youtube]dvYFxCwojcI[/youtube]

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Old_ones wrote:If its Jeb Bush V. Hillary Clinton, then Hillary it is. I'll probably vote for Bernie Sanders in the primary though, even though he isn't likely to win. If I had my way though, Elizabeth Warren.

I doubt Jeb would be as bad as W was, but I'm always amazed by how bad republican politicians can be. I'm not sure I'm ready for another round of the "see how many countries/government agencies/constitutional amendments I can destroy before my approval rating hits 22%" game.
But yeah -- aside from the multiple abrogations of the Constitution, the loss of habeas corpus, the election frauds, the sham green energy program, the intentional torpedoing of binding climate change agreements, the sweetheart trade deals for China & other foreign competitors, the bait-and-switch from health care to compulsory private insurance, the stagnant economy, the kick-backs to bundlers, the extension of Bush' wars ... oh, and the war crimes and extra-judicial assassinations of US citizens, obama's presidency hasn't turned out all that bad.
Last point on this from me. Yeah, Obama sucks in a big way on a lot of things, but if I retrace my steps I have to ask myself who else I would have voted for, and how that would have turned out. My biggest issues with Obama have been his continuation of Guantanamo, failure to investigate Bush war crimes, and they way he has used drones, which is probably itself a warcrime. I remember very well why I didn't support* Hillary in 08. Here it is:

Oct. 25, 2001 HR 3162 USA Patriot Act of 2001 Bill Passed - Senate (98 - 1) Yea
Oct. 11, 2002 H J Res 114 Use of Military Force Against Iraq Joint Resolution Passed - Senate (77 - 23) Yea

http://votesmart.org/candidate/key-vote ... yZX7vldXyQ

Why would I have supported her? Was she going to bring about some kind of accountability for the war that she helped enable? At least Obama wasn't already Bush in 2008.

Maybe Hillary would have been better than Obama, but I doubt it. Particularly on constitutional issues, and war crimes.

Aside from that Obama did bail the fucking auto industry out (which as a Michigander I greatly appreciate) pass some attempt at healthcare reform (including a huge expansion of Medicade for those who can't afford private insurance, and a list of ways in which private insurance companies are no longer allowed to fuck you over if you are dying) and offer tax breaks for renewable energy projects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_pol ... nistration). He has also taken steps toward ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, or ended them depending on who you talk to and whether you are willing to consider a war "ended" when there are still troops there. So, yeah, I think it could have been worse. We could have had McCain and that drooling bimbo he ran with, and his "other wars". We could have had Romney, and his... fuck, where do I start? /rant

Anyway, nothing personal, I just feel the need to defend my votes, because I don't think they were that irrational all things considered. And I'll probably vote for another asshole this time, and end up defending it to someone else on a different site in another ten years. I guess that is the fun thing about American politics - nobody is ever not an asshole if they get elected.

*I'm in MI, so I didn't vote for Obama in the primaries - we were stripped of any significance and he wasn't on the ballot. I impersonated a republican and voted for Ron Paul just for a laugh.

Sounds like you're falling for Warren's demagoguery the same way you did for obama's. She's a fabulist, a cheat, and a corporate whore. I get a DEAD ZONE feeling whenever I envision Lizzie Warren in the White House.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll pay closer attention to her.
I voted for HRC twice: once in the primaries; once as a write-in. She's not getting a third vote for me. Jill Stein if she runs again. Of all the corrupt candidates from the Dem-Gop duopoly (and they're all corrupt), Hillary would be the least unpalatable for me.
I'll have to look Jill Stein up. I'm not familiar.
Sanders would be grand, but he should've run last time. Pussy.
Well, I can see we agree on one thing.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

A dinosaur willing to vegan for the cause versus the man responsible for allowing "Ninety-Nine RedFem Baboons" onto Radio Pharyngula...

[youtube]oH0O0jnqCGg[/youtube]

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

GitHub statement on Julie Horvath:

https://github.com/blog/1800-update-on- ... -departure
This weekend, GitHub employee Julie Horvath spoke publicly about negative experiences she had at GitHub that contributed to her resignation. I am deeply saddened by these developments and want to comment on what GitHub is doing to address them.

We know we have to take action and have begun a full investigation. While that’s ongoing, and effective immediately, the relevant founder has been put on leave, as has the referenced GitHub engineer. The founder’s wife discussed in the media reports has never had hiring or firing power at GitHub and will no longer be permitted in the office.

GitHub has grown incredibly fast over the past two years, bringing a new set of challenges. Nearly a year ago we began a search for an experienced HR Lead and that person came on board in January 2014. We still have work to do. We know that. However, making sure GitHub employees are getting the right feedback and have a safe way to voice their concerns is a primary focus of the company.

As painful as this experience has been, I am super thankful to Julie for her contributions to GitHub. Her hard work building Passion Projects has made a huge positive impact on both GitHub and the tech community at large, and she's done a lot to help us become a more diverse company. I am personally very sorry to Julie, and it’s certain that there were things we could have done differently. We wish Julie well in her future endeavors.

Chris Wanstrath
CEO & Co-Founder
Hard for me to parse this. It could be a reasonable statement wishing Horvath well and stating how an investigation is in place, but it seems to go a bit overboard for that. They certainly threw the one founder and his wife under the bus. (The founder is apparently Tom Preston-Werner as he is the only one who is married.)

free thoughtpolice

Gefan wrote:A dinosaur willing to vegan for the cause versus the man responsible for allowing "Ninety-Nine RedFem Baboons" onto Radio Pharyngula...

[youtube]oH0O0jnqCGg[/youtube]
So far it's between Fraulein Watson and Dino Vegan!!
This coul;d be epic!!

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Ape+lust wrote:

Wow, that thing is damn near mint. I had a friend with a box amplifier Victrola and the music was always accompanied with a rrrrRRRRrrrrRRRR thrum as the spindle ground off-center or something. It's remarkable how loud those things can get with just a needle, a membrane, and some piping.

This is the best version of that song, BTW.

[youtube]dvYFxCwojcI[/youtube]
HAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAA