Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by deLurch »

Southern wrote:
Tigzy wrote: I dunno. Barring the workers from striking seems pretty right wing to me, given that I've yet to see a left winger who wants to outlaw industrial action.
You go and try to strike on a communist country and then you tell me how well that went.
My sister managed an office in Poland. Yes, they are no longer a communist country but the effects still linger on. One of her biggest complaints about the workers there is that they constantly needed to be babysat in order for them to get things done. If they were doing a task and they ran into a problem, they would just stop. She would have to come over to see why something was not done, find out what the problem was and then they had to be provided instructions on how to work around the problem. Workers over there just did not show any initiative. They went to work, put in their hours and went home.

She said that there was a lingering mindset of fear over there of not doing what they were told. Taken initiative could get you shot in the old days. So they only do what they are told. I don't know how much of what she said was hyperbole or exaggeration.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gumby wrote:I never said I was mature.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 5b5ede.jpg
*chortle*
*guffaw*

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Gumby wrote:Parody Accountant, you say the sweetest things.

http://www.backalleysims.com/adultsite/ ... wanker.gif
Get me messy, baby.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Parody Accountant wrote:

bwahahahahhahahahahahaa

smells like teen skeptic, oh well whatever nevermind.
+1 :lol:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Please my chums and fellow japesters, whatever you do, do not go and see 300 Rise Of An Empire. There are no words to describe how completely and utterly shit it is.
I'm still convinced it was all an LSD flashback. A rubbish LSD flashback.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gefan wrote:Okay, this has absolutely nothing to do with my (as of today) probably being laid off in six months...

http://www.patreon.com/user?u=105858&alert=2

I promise to do future narration in a blue wig and a drunken stupor since that appears to be a necessary condition to success at these things...

Actually I don't even know if I've set the damn thing up right. Maybe Scented Nectar can explain where I went wrong (in Patreon, not in life - that's a rather vast topic).
SlymeBucks coming your way!

Humble thanks, Dear Leader.
I've re-discovered what, once I clear away the dust, may be a conscience and will forward everything donated to a charity.
Unless there are other suggestions I'm going to hit up Renee on Twitter and see if she wants it to go to Operation Smile.
Videos will keep coming regardless, and my apologies to my fellow Pitters for lapsing into baboonish e-begging.

[Runs from pitchfork-wielding Gumby and Paddy]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Please my chums and fellow japesters, whatever you do, do not go and see 300 Rise Of An Empire. There are no words to describe how completely and utterly shit it is.
Would you have said the same for 300?

If so 'this is madness', and I floosh your baseless opinion away.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Interesting (?) copyright question.

Take Patreon where the owners take no responsibility for the content, yet it has the potential to act as a commercial vehicle.

If you post your own extant content from YouTube (which is really just embedding - no hosting actually happens) then is Patreon really responsible and are you actually deriving an income from a "link"

Secondly say you 'host' potentially copyrighted material from YouTube but don't charge for it - only charging for original content. Is this better? Ie is the entire patreon channel and all it's free/supported content considered "the commercial entity" or just the bits you specifically charge for with the balance being fair use criticism items?

dogen

Post by dogen »

Brive1987 wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Please my chums and fellow japesters, whatever you do, do not go and see 300 Rise Of An Empire. There are no words to describe how completely and utterly shit it is.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/forum/6 ... 6_full.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Gefan wrote:Okay, this has absolutely nothing to do with my (as of today) probably being laid off in six months...

http://www.patreon.com/user?u=105858&alert=2

I promise to do future narration in a blue wig and a drunken stupor since that appears to be a necessary condition to success at these things...

Actually I don't even know if I've set the damn thing up right. Maybe Scented Nectar can explain where I went wrong (in Patreon, not in life - that's a rather vast topic).
SlymeBucks coming your way!

Humble thanks, Dear Leader.
I've re-discovered what, once I clear away the dust, may be a conscience and will forward everything donated to a charity.
Unless there are other suggestions I'm going to hit up Renee on Twitter and see if she wants it to go to Operation Smile.
Videos will keep coming regardless, and my apologies to my fellow Pitters for lapsing into baboonish e-begging.

[Runs from pitchfork-wielding Gumby and Paddy]
It's not baboonish. You're making a high-quality product.

But donating the proceeds to Operation Smile while still making videos - that seems like win-win, if it works for you & your colleagues.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Parody Accountant wrote:

bwahahahahhahahahahahaa

smells like teen skepticchick, oh well whatever nevermind.
FTFY. And hey, Peezus. You might learn a lot from Kurt Cobain:

[youtube]j45cnkRgfqE[/youtube]

There might be time to save 5% of the reputation you had all the way back in 2009.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Brive1987 wrote:Would you have said the same for 300?

I don't really care for it but I do enjoy defending it against ill-thought-out criticism since most of the reasons people give for not liking it are bad ones.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I really enjoyed the diva impressions video. About to watch Tf00t one now.

This one was recommended to me by a fellow [my city] Atheist group Board member at our meeting today, & I enjoyed it, too:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ash_beckham_we ... to_open_up
A lesbian genderfluid woman who gives examples of, and advice for, interacting kindly with people who aren't quite on the same page.

Certain People at Certain Forums could take a page from her book, IMO.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Brive1987 wrote:

Nope. 300 was wunderbar. This was cock-snot.
This was like the '300' version of those shitty rip-off DVD's you see in Lidl for 99p. Like 'Shrok' or '101 Alsatians'.

John D

Post by John D »

Too bad. I thought the first one was kind of okay and I love the Greek period. There is a pretty cool minis game called "War Gods of Olympus" that I am starting to collect. I was hoping a good movie would get more people interested so I could find some competitors.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... attle-game

didymos

Post by didymos »

Skep tickle wrote: A lesbian genderfluid woman...
How does that work? Is she a lesbian only when xe's feeling like her gender is "woman"? Straight when xe's feeling like a "man"? What about when xe's in an agender mood?

Couch

Post by Couch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Svan has a new post up titled: "Getting drunk and acting like a train wreck"
Just from reading the title alone I had a fleeting thought that she might be discussing positive measures regarding behaving responsibly around alcohol as a means of avoiding predatory date rape encounters.

But no, it's something entirely different - it's a weird anti-Irish post
Keep this in mind as you plan your weekend festivities. I’ll just add that, not only are you not part of the Irish Republican Army, but (unless you’re part of a local indigenous group) the people around you aren’t the occupation either. If you’re feeling oppressed, go get involved in politics.
The rest of it is a guest post that seems to be written by an Irish American (plastic Paddy) friend of Svans.

Neither of them seem to be aware of the history of Northern Ireland over the past 15 years and instead act as if the IRA are still active and the troubles ongoing.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ain-wreck/

Any members of a local indigenous group here?
:mrgreen:

Pog mo Inaji.
I'm 1/128th Indigenous Australian (Aboriginal); and 1/64th Spanish; and 1/32th English. The rest, so far as anyone has been able to find out, is all Irish.

And my wife's Maltese; :dance: So we just identify our kids wogs, to keep it simple. Before any poms here lose their supper, 'wog' is affectionate in this part of the world.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Old_ones wrote:Clinton is an incompetent when it comes to campaigning,
Like when she forgot to bus her supporters down from Chicago & Gary to vote for her in the Iowa primary?
and I don't get the feeling that she is well liked outside of the 40% or so of the Democratic party who either LOVE her
She consistently polls very high among independents.
or are desperate to see a woman become president, and will passionately support the candidate with their preference of sex organ.
Right. Because no one was desperate to absolve themselves of White Guilt by supporting the inexperienced half-black.
IMO nominating Hillary is the best thing the Democratic party can do in order to make a Jeb Bush presidency inevitable.
We've had four Bush administrations in a row now. How bad could a fifth be?

Who's your pick, Old Ones?.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

another lurker wrote:I like how this entire page has been sullied by the continual re-posting of naked-peez.
That's a whole lotta jizz for a man who doesn't even have the balls to debate Steersman.

Whiskey Tango

Post by Whiskey Tango »

Tony Parsehole wrote: Nope. 300 was wunderbar. This was cock-snot.
This was like the '300' version of those shitty rip-off DVD's you see in Lidl for 99p. Like 'Shrok' or '101 Alsatians'.
If you enjoyed the original 300, check out Spartacus, which ended its run on Starz last year. The first half of the first season is really iffy, as the show was just finding its rhythm, but it picks up steam and really becomes spectacular as it moves forward.

That said, if you don't like your sword and sandal tales stylized with exploding CGI blood and scenery that looks more like Mordor than Greece, then I heartily recommend "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. It's an incredibly well-researched piece of historical fiction detailing several years in Sparta before the Persian invasion, the lead-up to the war, the stand at Thermopylae, and the subsequent Battle of Plataea. There are no Persian monstrosities or mystical, deformed ephors -- just a hell of a narrative about the real men and women of Sparta, how they lived, and how they contributed to the war effort against Persia. The story itself is amazing enough that it does not need to be embellished with ninja Immortals or giant ogre-beasts.

Anyway, that's not why I'm here. I'm here to remind you all that you're manginular, Watson-obsessed beta males, and to tell you that Uri Geller himself has come out in support of the Watsonist agenda. In a guest column over at Rebecca Watson Fan Club, Mr. Geller tells us that he personally witnessed the atrocities at The Amazing Meeting, verifying Watson's version of events. (As if they needed verifying. But still.)

Rebecca Watson Is Right About JREF, by Uri Geller

By Uri Geller
Special Guest Columnist

July is rapidly approaching, and like every spring, I find myself counting the days until the James Randi Educational Foundation’s “The Amazing Meeting.”

“But Uri,” you’ll say, “isn’t James Randi your mortal enemy?”

Indeed, he is. But what most people don’t realize is that, endowed with the powers of remote viewing, I attend The Amazing Meeting every year. Using the technique taught to me by the Great Guru Ingo Swann, I am able to activate my Seventh Chakra via the Enchanted Tomes of George Noory, which are engraved in Sanskrit, and commune with the spirit form of Frank Chu, who guides me toward the dimensional gateway of the 12 Galaxies.

Through this sophisticated technique, I am able to visit TAM and collect vital information on the enemy. I’m even able to eat from the buffet table in spirit form, and in 2012 I achieved an earth-shaking orgasm whilst remote viewing into Sarah Mayhew’s hotel room shower. Upon climaxing, I transfigurated lotus flowers with my spirit sperm and recreated the bathroom floor as a dewy meadow, achieving nirvana as sweet Sarah’s nude form shimmered like opalescent lilies in the lake of the palace of the celestial maidens.

I’ve also…seen things. Things no man should be made to endure. In fact, I was meditating on the anima of another favorite muse (known to me as Anandmurti Guramaa, and to you as Rebecca Watson), when I was confronted with a most disturbing vision: I saw the most base bacchanalia, presided over by Evil Incarnate in the form of a white-bearded man seated on a throne of silver with a young, naked boy on each knee. “Science!” the devil breathed as he sniffed a juvenile armpit.

Then I heard anguished cries, and turned to see Three Subsequent Visions of Anandmurti Watson:
Read more: http://rebeccawatsonfanclub.wordpress.c ... ri-geller/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Scented Nectar wrote:Not a big fan of trotting, myself.
Post it, or just two-point.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Has anybody welcomed Whiskey Tango yet with foxtrot uniform charlie kilo october foxtrot foxtrot?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

and where are the ceremonial lima yankee november x-rays?

Whiskey Tango

Post by Whiskey Tango »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Has anybody welcomed Whiskey Tango yet with foxtrot uniform charlie kilo october foxtrot foxtrot?
It's Oscar, not October. Or are you using an older version? That makes me think you're an old, white male who probably served as a babykiller in one of the Old White Man Wars like Vietnam or Korea.

Your efforts are appreciated, but I need no welcome. As a Watsonist, the entire internet is my oyster, and it is by benevolent choice that I visit you here in your squalid, banished little corner of the internet away from the light of Skepchick Industries. Bow to Watson, you fuck.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Thanks to all those who have donated to Operation Smile via Patreon.

The first of a series of interactive (don't ask) Clownfall videos will be up soon...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

That made me laugh. Thanks! :lol:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

The subtley, nuance, and insight at Pharyngula are really something. Something absent, that is.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -abortion/ (sorry, I don't Freezepage)

All bolding & italics in the OP below are as in the original.
PZ Myers wrote:Don’t tell people how to feel about abortion

Stephanie Zvan quotes Massimo Pigliucci:
To decide to get an abortion is always (or, at least, should always be) a very difficult and emotional step, precisely because it has significant ethical consequences.
Why? Philosopher, examine your assumptions.

There is no particular reason abortion should be difficult; it’s certainly less fraught than pregnancy. I could see saying that getting pregnant ought to be a difficult and emotional step — lots of commitment and responsibility involved — and that if you’ve made that decision, ending a wanted pregnancy is rightly a very difficult step. But one you don’t want? That is going to be an obstacle to living your life well? That ought to be an easy decision, except, of course, for the weight of tradition and guilt artificially imposed on us.

So don’t try to dictate how women ought to feel about abortion. The hysterics lining the walkways in front of family planning clinics, waving their bloody signs, are not representative. The patients can be casual and unconcerned as is possible for a simple outpatient procedure. Or they can be distraught and hesitant. Those are their feelings.

<snip>

Man, that one sentence sure contains a lot of presumption that needs to be unpacked. Maybe we need a philosopher to puzzle it all out.
After this, all bolding was added by me. (But the red text is all PZ's own.)

First, let's take a look at the OP again and be inspired by the depths of PZ's understanding that no man should tell women how to feel:
...I could see saying that getting pregnant ought to be a difficult and emotional step — lots of commitment and responsibility involved — and that if you’ve made that decision, ending a wanted pregnancy is rightly a very difficult step. But one you don’t want? That is going to be an obstacle to living your life well? That ought to be an easy decision, ...
Chas Peterson weighs in in posts #1 and #2 and riles the horde all up; they're still pissed at him in mid-100's in the comment thread, see below.
Chas Peterson in #1 wrote:<snip>

As far as I can tell, the only assumption is that ethical issues are raised whenever something gets killed.
Ethical issues are not raised by failure to implant any more than ethical issues are raised by somebody getting struck by lightning.
Ethical issues are raised by somebody killing a puppy with a brick.
To some people, abortion seems more like somebpdy killing a puppy than somebody getting hit by lightning.
You can discount that attitude as based on ‘feelings’, but so is its opposite.

Dr. Dr. Dr. Pigliucci is explicit that he thinks that “logical, science-based, and rational arguments against abortion [are] ultimately unconvincing, or countered by better arguments”.

Yeah, he prescribes correct feellings, with use of “ought”. If that’s your beef, than OK. He shouldn’t tell women how to feel.
(Nobody reading this has any problem prescribing correct feelings about other issues, though
. ...) <snip>
PZ clarifies:
PZ Myers, in #6 wrote:"To decide to get an abortion is always (or, at least, should always be) a very difficult and emotional step": that is an assumption. He doesn’t have any evidence for it. There isn’t even a logical reason why that should be true.
There are a couple people calmly trying to do a reality check on the horde:
blinncombs, in #50 wrote:Did anybody read the original post? It certainly doesn’t appear so. The reactive post from which the quote is taken is a total non sequitor to Pigliucci’s, but here we have PZ using this thinnest of gruel to accuse the MP of, ahem, failing to examine his assumptions. Oh sweet irony….
"You" means PZ in the post below:
mnb0, in #61 wrote:“That ought to be an easy decision”
You left it to Angelina Jolie to tell how easy or difficult the decision was to have breast surgery was. Now you are the one telling women how to feel about abortion. This issue should be left to those people who actually had one or plan to have one (so totally not Pigliucci either). Last time I checked your photo I had the impression you don’t belong to that category.
nrdo, in #81 wrote:PZ, the quote above actually seems to be a bit of a misquote, since the original post says: ‘To decide to get certain types of abortion (say, last trimester) is always (or, at least, should always be) a very difficult and emotional step”

Those familiar with the abortion issue understand that late trimester abortions are rare and almost always due to a medical problem that has ruled out a promising future for the mother and/or baby. But in the interests of fair discussion, we have to make it a point to go by what he actually said. <snip>
Several people around this point (including PZ) point out that MP edited his post; nrdo then agrees that MP was underhanded in doing so.
blinncombs, #88 wrote:53, 60: Actually, PZ (and Stacy), you focused on Ms. Zvan’s blatant *misquotation* of Pigliucci’s post. Here’s the original:

“ince abortion involves more than one life, and there is a marked difference in the consequences of a given decision for the two parties, the issue is thornier than others, and it ought to be so for secularists also. To decide to get certain types of abortion (say, last trimester) is always (or, at least, should always be) a very difficult and emotional step, precisely because it has significant ethical consequences. There is no equivalent to that in, say, deciding whether to allow gay couples to marry or not, as a moment’s reflection should make clear.”

When you actually read Pigliucci’s post (you know, rather than just sniping at somebody else’s misquotation), it’s quite obvious that Zvan’s reply simply has nothing to do with Pigliucci’s original. Worse, it’s pretty clear that her post has precious little to do with any specific decision to have an abortion, and everything to do with a *possible* future complication of taking a drug for the treatment of migraines (which, she admits, probably doesn’t actually affect fetal development). So she agrees that, if she were to get pregnant while on propranolol, she would have an abortion.

In this vein, her remarks are quite revealing, because they unwittingly make Piglicucci’s point. She goes through a litany of the types of things that ethical people think about when considering matters of reproduction. This just proves that she agrees with Massimo that the “decision to abort” should be “the subject of serious consideration.” She shows her agreement by illustrating that very deliberation.

He's right; Zvan's moderately long post was about how her doctor said, if you get pregnant while taking this medication you might have to have an abortion, and Zvan said okay, so hey, see, abortion doesn't require any emotional input, and she'll use a whole post to tell you how unemotional she is or would be about it.

Zvan weighs in on the thread, severely chides blinncombs for telling her how she feels. People point out to blinncombs that MP changed the wording; blinncombs acknowledges, says oops but that doesn't really change it. On and on and on it goes. Now, a while later, Zvan has found it difficult to leave because blinncombs isn't backing down.

PZ in #136:
http://i.imgur.com/LHF7HAJ.png?1

:lol:

blinncombs in #160 wrote:PZ, the whole thread is a vent about Massimo dictating the terms of what women should feel. In what universe isn’t that fairly construed as a complaint about limiting women’s decisional autonomy?

I think it’s a nonsensical complaint based on a wholly uncharitable reading, but it’s still the dominant complaint.

Zvan can't let it rest; she has to try to eviscerate him with her rapier, uh, well, not "wit" that's for sure. And on and on and on it goes.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Old_ones wrote:Clinton is an incompetent when it comes to campaigning,
Like when she forgot to bus her supporters down from Chicago & Gary to vote for her in the Iowa primary?
I'm actually not sure what you are referencing here, but a good example would be the fact that she and Mark Penn decided to let Obama win all caucus states, because Cali and New York were totally going to get her the primary. Derp. Well I guess she won't make that particular mistake next time...

http://www.mydd.com/users/truthmatters/ ... r-take-all
and I don't get the feeling that she is well liked outside of the 40% or so of the Democratic party who either LOVE her
She consistently polls very high among independents.
Well, I remember seeing a lot of stories like this one during the last election: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... n-obamas-/

That could be out of date. Maybe she has rehabilitated her image since then.
or are desperate to see a woman become president, and will passionately support the candidate with their preference of sex organ.
Right. Because no one was desperate to absolve themselves of White Guilt by supporting the inexperienced half-black.
Would that invalidate my point? Personally white guilt had nothing to do with my support of Obama. He talked a good game and I was ingenuous and believed him. Turns out a lot of it was bullshit, but all things considered his presidency could have gone worse. I don't regret voting for him twice.
IMO nominating Hillary is the best thing the Democratic party can do in order to make a Jeb Bush presidency inevitable.
We've had four Bush administrations in a row now. How bad could a fifth be?

Who's your pick, Old Ones?.
If its Jeb Bush V. Hillary Clinton, then Hillary it is. I'll probably vote for Bernie Sanders in the primary though, even though he isn't likely to win. If I had my way though, Elizabeth Warren.

I doubt Jeb would be as bad as W was, but I'm always amazed by how bad republican politicians can be. I'm not sure I'm ready for another round of the "see how many countries/government agencies/constitutional amendments I can destroy before my approval rating hits 22%" game.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Gumby wrote: Brilliant, as always.

However, the junk is WAY too big.
By the way, the stuff blowing out of PZ's micropenis is the same stuff that was blowing out of Mykeru's ears in your last Civil War video. I'm a firm believer in recycling.
I thought the discharging into water hid the fact that Peez shoots dry dust of the same composition as the little choking cloud formed when Ophelia Benson, crowbar in hand, pries her meat flaps open.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Skep tickle wrote:I really enjoyed the diva impressions video. About to watch Tf00t one now.

This one was recommended to me by a fellow [my city] Atheist group Board member at our meeting today, & I enjoyed it, too:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ash_beckham_we ... to_open_up
A lesbian genderfluid woman who gives examples of, and advice for, interacting kindly with people who aren't quite on the same page.

Certain People at Certain Forums could take a page from her book, IMO.
It reminded me of what I wrote earlier about Julie Ann Horvath at GitHub. When a middle manager wrote to her in an email asking "how are the women", Horvath used that as an excuse to attack him, not just privately, but in public in an interview.

Ash Beckham speaks of several times when she is trying to come out of the closet, or discuss gay issues, when she recognizes the people she is speaking to are being open, being authentic, trying to communicate, and that there is no need for Beckham to fight them, or even as she says, to go back to her friends and just mock them. They are people, they are trying, and what more can she ask?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

John D wrote:I love the Greek period.
Just because that's where the Greeks stick it, doesn't mean it has a period.

Sheesh.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Old_ones wrote:If its Jeb Bush V. Hillary Clinton, then Hillary it is. I'll probably vote for Bernie Sanders in the primary though, even though he isn't likely to win. If I had my way though, Elizabeth Warren.

I doubt Jeb would be as bad as W was, but I'm always amazed by how bad republican politicians can be. I'm not sure I'm ready for another round of the "see how many countries/government agencies/constitutional amendments I can destroy before my approval rating hits 22%" game.
I voted for HRC twice: once in the primaries; once as a write-in. She's not getting a third vote for me. Jill Stein if she runs again. Of all the corrupt candidates from the Dem-Gop duopoly (and they're all corrupt), Hillary would be the least unpalatable for me.

Sanders would be grand, but he should've run last time. Pussy.

Sounds like you're falling for Warren's demagoguery the same way you did for obama's. She's a fabulist, a cheat, and a corporate whore. I get a DEAD ZONE feeling whenever I envision Lizzie Warren in the White House.
dead_zone.jpg
(76.27 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

But yeah -- aside from the multiple abrogations of the Constitution, the loss of habeas corpus, the election frauds, the sham green energy program, the intentional torpedoing of binding climate change agreements, the sweetheart trade deals for China & other foreign competitors, the bait-and-switch from health care to compulsory private insurance, the stagnant economy, the kick-backs to bundlers, the extension of Bush' wars ... oh, and the war crimes and extra-judicial assassinations of US citizens, obama's presidency hasn't turned out all that bad.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Mykeru wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Gefan wrote:Snip
By the way, the stuff blowing out of PZ's micropenis is the same stuff that was blowing out of Mykeru's ears in your last Civil War video. I'm a firm believer in recycling.
I thought the discharging into water hid the fact that Peez shoots dry dust of the same composition as the little choking cloud formed when Ophelia Benson, crowbar in hand, pries her meat flaps open.
Here I was, in danger of going over my calorie limit today, and Mykeru to the rescue. Let me get some more puke out of the keyboard, and maybe I'll send a big "thank you."

So two things I can't unsee today. One pure visual and one in the (now squalid) theater of the mind. Medic!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Whiskey Tango wrote:It's Oscar, not October. Or are you using an older version?
I think you're right. 'able, baker, cent, dime', now that's old.
Did someone say Oscar?
blechtrommel.jpg
(126.49 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
That makes me think you're an old, white male who probably served as a babykiller in one of the Old White Man Wars like Vietnam or Korea.
I'm still a baby-killer. Just ask another lurker.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Old_ones wrote:If its Jeb Bush V. Hillary Clinton, then Hillary it is. I'll probably vote for Bernie Sanders in the primary though, even though he isn't likely to win. If I had my way though, Elizabeth Warren.

I voted for HRC twice: once in the primaries; once as a write-in. She's not getting a third vote for me. Jill Stein if she runs again. Of all the corrupt candidates from the Dem-Gop duopoly (and they're all corrupt), Hillary would be the least unpalatable for me.

Sanders would be grand, but he should've run last time. Pussy.

Sounds like you're falling for Warren's demagoguery the same way you did for obama's. She's a fabulist, a cheat, and a corporate whore. I get a DEAD ZONE feeling whenever I envision Lizzie Warren in the White House.
dead_zone.jpg

But yeah -- aside from the multiple abrogations of the Constitution, the loss of habeas corpus, the election frauds, the sham green energy program, the intentional torpedoing of binding climate change agreements, the sweetheart trade deals for China & other foreign competitors, the bait-and-switch from health care to compulsory private insurance, the stagnant economy, the kick-backs to bundlers, the extension of Bush' wars ... oh, and the war crimes and extra-judicial assassinations of US citizens, obama's presidency hasn't turned out all that bad.
You're a "glass half empty" kinda guy, right? Sadly, I agree with every single point you've made.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Has anybody welcomed Whiskey Tango yet with foxtrot uniform charlie kilo october foxtrot foxtrot?
No, where is tradition? Welcome and fuck off, Whiskey Tango. Lynx...where are the fucking lynx?
Chicken.jpg
(12.17 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Has to do...

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

“Sexual identity is intrinsically responsible for outdated, elitist perceptions of class,” says Derrida; however, according to Sargeant[7] , it is not so much sexual identity that is intrinsically responsible for outdated, elitist perceptions of class, but rather the economy, and some would say the paradigm, of sexual identity. In a sense, the subject is interpolated into a dialectic feminism that includes language as a whole.
in here, sometimes http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/

you can get some damn amazing results
It could be said that Sontag uses the term ‘prematerialist feminism’ to denote a mythopoetical totality. The premise of dialectic feminism states that narrative comes from the masses.

In a sense, the subject is contextualised into a cultural paradigm of discourse that includes language as a paradox. Marx uses the term ‘dialectic feminism’ to denote not theory, but posttheory.

It could be said that Foucault suggests the use of submodern cultural theory to challenge and analyse culture. The subject is interpolated into a Sontagist camp that includes sexuality as a totality.
:lol:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Yep, the debate on abortion neatly sums up the FtB madness. Thanks, as always, Sally

http://i.imgur.com/Yo7zaaf.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

The "Yes, There Are Pro-Life Atheists Out There. Here’s Why I’m One of Them" guest-post thread at Hemant's blog from ~5 days ago is up to 2348 comments. :shock:

Impossible* to read through, and the usual arguments show up, but at least it's not just people yelling "SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP FOREVER" at those who dare post Non-Approved Views.

*Not literally, of course

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Brive1987 wrote:

After I saw the Matrix, I remember saying to a mate "we get lots of films done in deadpan martial arts style. I wonder what the Matrix would be like done in the style of professional wrestling? MISTER ANDERSOOONNN!!!!!! WELCOME BAAAACCCKKK!!!!!"

And then 300 came out, and that's what it was. Feckin' dreadful film.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

From the comment thread at Zvan's "You made your bed, now burn in it" from a couple of days ago:
http://i.imgur.com/JRPbFyO.png?1

Go for it, Stephanie Zvan. Tweet your little whistle and light your little powder keg and test out your self-obsessed pretense that your self-important patrolling is all that's keeping the atheist/skeptic movement from complete and utter destruction.

Let's see you unleash the force of anger of atheist womanhood and cause the atheist-skeptic movement to come crashing down, like you're threatening. I double dog dare you.

And I don't mean picking on more individuals, trying to interfere in their lives or hold them up for ridicule, like you've done to so many people. I mean, make good on your threat in your comment from your blog, copied above. Go for it.
___

From Zvan's misnamed "The day I decided to have an abortion" thread, from a day or two ago:
Migraines were the reason I was at the doctor’s office.

She was a wonderful doctor. It was the first time I’d had an internist as my primary care physician. She had a Palm Pilot with a good medical database on it so she didn’t have to work on anything by memory or leave me sitting to get more information. <snip>

I was all for treatment. She looked at my chart, particularly at my (low) blood pressure, consulted the Palm Pilot again, and said, “You’re having stress headaches with the migraines. I want to put you on propranolol.”

I was fine with that too. Then she said, “But if I give you a prescription for this drug, I need to know that you’ll be okay with having an abortion if you get pregnant.”*

I said, “Sure.” Then she wrote me a prescription. No fuss. No muss. About four years of migraine relief, with the side effect of clearing up some anxiety issues that had plagued me since childhood.

<snip>

*Looking at the most recent recommendations on this, propranolol is probably not going to cause issues with fetal development, so don’t panic if you’re on the drug and would want to carry any pregnancy to term. Do talk to your doctor about it though.
"Most recent recommendations" my ass.

There's no recommendation for women taking propranolol to consider termination should they become pregnant; there hasn't been, and there has been no "recent" change, including not in the past 4 years since your first Rx for this stuff. (Not that this medication is felt to introduce zero risk in pregnancy; it might contribute to growth retardation, for example. But it's not teratogenic much less highly teratogenic, which would be the reason termination might be recommended - not required, but recommended - if conception occurred while in the drug.)

The effects of beta blockers, including propranolol, have been studied in pregnancy since at least the 1970's, see for example here and here.

You posted that anecdote without checking facts, then you probably heard from 1 or more women who were concerned - perhaps to the point of "panic", the term you used in your addendum - about what they'd read on your blog suggesting potential severe effects on any pregnancy they might conceive while on the medication.

Way to go. Ah, well, you can still lead the forces in the upcoming revolution, m'dear. The ones who would follow you probably won't quibble about you posting a little misinformation now & again.

(I am glad it helped your headaches and anxiety, for what that's worth.)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Clarification-via-correction: "if conception occurred while in the drug" should read, "if conception occurred while on such a drug".

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronom ... false.html
Phil Plait wrote:As an astronomer an equality feminist, I find asteroids rapists fascinating, and it’s compelling to learn more about their potential threat to Earth women (and sometimes men). That threat is very real, and it does not help to stir the pot with false information. Besides making it harder to convince people how dangerous they really are (the “cry wolf” syndrome) it needlessly scares people. Oddly enough, I’m not a big fan of that.
Hate to pick on Plait, whom I generally have a favorable opinion of, but when I read this paragraph I couldn't help but make that substitution in my mind. It works because Plait's position on asteroid scare-mongering is a reasonable one to take. You have to strip "fascinating" of its usual positive connotations, and maybe I could have found something better than "equality feminist," but the substitution works, and it demonstrates how otherwise sensible people are unable to apply their skepticism to certain politically and emotionally charged topics.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:The "Yes, There Are Pro-Life Atheists Out There. Here’s Why I’m One of Them" guest-post thread at Hemant's blog from ~5 days ago is up to 2348 comments. :shock:

Impossible* to read through, and the usual arguments show up, but at least it's not just people yelling "SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP FOREVER" at those who dare post Non-Approved Views.

*Not literally, of course

Some of the comment's are interesting on Massimo Pigiucci's post:
Nell WebbishMarch 15, 2014 10:12 AM

__To decide to get an abortion is always (or, at least, should always be) a very difficult and emotional step. __

No it's not, nor should it always be.
Replies
Massimo PigliucciMarch 15, 2014 10:33 AM

Nell,

you are correct, and I just amended that sentence in the main post. See if you agree with the modified version.
Nell WebbishMarch 15, 2014 11:36 AM

Yes, I do. Thank you for taking my comment seriously
MichaelMarch 15, 2014 12:15 PM

You are aware that last trimester abortions are rare and usually occur because of severe medical problems with either the fetus or the woman. So the amendment to the previous statement doesn't make it any less of a non sequitur.
ReidMarch 15, 2014 2:30 PM

Massimo,

The original quote you have since amended is being widely discussed on other websites. It may be useful to point out in your actual post that it was amended since the original quote was a point of contention for a lot of people. Discussions surrounding it are becoming difficult as people are comparing two sets of notes.
Massimo PigliucciMarch 15, 2014 3:50 PM

Reid,

Thanks, will do so when I get back to my computer later today or tomorrow morning. I will also likely add a postscript about PZ's commentary on this post.
This is how skepticism is meant to work.

A writer makes a statement that can be subject to criticism (Massimo's original statement that didn't specify he was really talking about late term abortions.)

A reader points out the problem.

The original writer acknowleges the problem, and amends his piece to address the criticism and make his views clearer.

What is the alternative - to refuse to acknowledge the possibility that you may have made a mistake? To strawman the criticism so that you can regain the high moral ground, accuse the reader of being a bad person (perhaps even a slymer!) and then ban them from commenting again?

It will be interesting to see how he replies to Peezus.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Here is one of the "responsible" press reports of the Julie Horvath - GitHub incident. But there now seem to be many such reports.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/15/julie- ... thub-exit/

Hacker News discussion here:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7408055

I'm too tired now to discuss it but note:

+ the timing seems weird. She joins github about 18 months ago according to what I can tell from linked in. In the article if I read it right, AFTER the incidents start, she starts the passion project, but that has been going since March 2013 -- so all this crap has occurred and she stays at github?
+ the harassment mainly seems to come from a founder's wife
+ the whole thing here is totally one sided
+ early on she aims to fix github (women you can't fix men, or perhaps organizations (don't be that girl))
+ men at work staring at women at work dancing the hula hoop is like a strip club and offends her though it's not clear what the hula dancers felt about the whole thing
+ somehow her "partner" is a github employee too. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN, since we know 9 times out of 10 a male approaching a feminist at work is sexual harassment!? Oh, I remember now the rules: 1) be handsome, 2) be attractive, c) don't be unattractive.

+ I am somewhat impressed by github, with a problem employee like Horvath that they seemed to know was a problem, they sure let her get tons of positive press in the past year over feminist stuff including the passion project.

Anyway, I have no fucking idea what happened there or who is in the right or in the wrong.

Once again, given their taking down of the parody Feminist Software Foundation C+= repository because they felt it was so so misogynistic it needed to be censored, all I can say is Julie Horvath couldn't have happened to a nicer company. Fuck you assholes. Enjoy the trip.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: We've had four Bush administrations in a row now. How bad could a fifth be?
So true. :cry:

James Caruthers

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Didn't you know? You can't say things like that, or you'll be labeled a Fox News-level conservative and also a racist who probably burns crosses on people's lawns and patrols the border with a loaded shotgun.

"The only reason you hate Obama is ur a racist."
"Only conservatives hate Obama, because they r racists."
"Democrats are completely free from racism."
:roll:

James Caruthers

Brive1987 wrote:Yep, the debate on abortion neatly sums up the FtB madness. Thanks, as always, Sally

http://i.imgur.com/Yo7zaaf.jpg
"Talk about science, but only when the science has no impact on the special rights feminism wants for feminists."

I mean, men don't have reproductive rights at all. Maybe that's justified because of the concerns of a sexually-dimorphic species. Maybe a future human being should not have any right to expect its mother to allow it a chance to develop into a person. Maybe the rights of the living and sentient should always supersede the rights of those not yet living and sentient. But let's have that conversation. It figures that the standard SJW response is a True Belieber's cry of "shut up shut up stop talking to me lalalala."

Oh, the contrary opinions! They burn!

James Caruthers

Skep tickle wrote:From the comment thread at Zvan's "You made your bed, now burn in it" from a couple of days ago:
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/ori ... e-meme.png

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

paddybrown wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

After I saw the Matrix, I remember saying to a mate "we get lots of films done in deadpan martial arts style. I wonder what the Matrix would be like done in the style of professional wrestling? MISTER ANDERSOOONNN!!!!!! WELCOME BAAAACCCKKK!!!!!"

And then 300 came out, and that's what it was. Feckin' dreadful film.
If you view it as an example of Greek oral history with exaggerated symbolism (as it makes clear it is) then it's actually pretty good. Ie the movie is about how they chose to interpret their history with exotic monstrous barbarians, wicked traitors and state loyalty fuelled heroics.

If you view it as a historical character driven drama .. then yep not so much.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Skep tickle wrote:Clarification-via-correction: "if conception occurred while in the drug" should read, "if conception occurred while on such a drug".
I stopped reading at "this movement" singular. It's then I realised she was only talking radical FtBites and so immediately lost interest.

NoGodsEver

Post by NoGodsEver »

When I first saw this, I thought that Peezus was propelling himself through the water via fart-power, but now that I see what is really happening...oh god please kill me now.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Brive1987 wrote:If you view it as an example of Greek oral history with exaggerated symbolism (as it makes clear it is) then it's actually pretty good. Ie the movie is about how they chose to interpret their history with exotic monstrous barbarians, wicked traitors and state loyalty fuelled heroics.
Close, but it's actually even simpler than that.

The entire story is being told by Dilios to a Spartan regiment before a battle.

It's propaganda. Dilios recounts events that he did not witness, as well as events that nobody lived to report.

The movie makes complete sense when you take into account that Dilios is a nationalistic bullshitter with a strong imagination who thinks Leonidas is the awesomest person who ever lived.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

He is adopting traditional story telling motifs and I think the symbolism is meant to transcend simple bullshitting. Dilios is seems to be addressing us (ie the future) as much as he is the regiment at Plataea.

Ancient history, in the primary sources, was obviously more about imparting an 'accepted' explanation and value statement than an eyewitness testimony. Herodotus (who is obviously an inspiration for the epic story telling of 300) is a good example of this. Personally this is the canvas I see the movie being painted on.

Obviously personal views on 300 will vary.....

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:From the comment thread at Zvan's "You made your bed, now burn in it" from a couple of days ago:
http://i.imgur.com/oS7Aibi.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Thinking about it, Chas got well trolled by PZ in the abortion debate.

PZ baited him with the post's title: "Don’t tell people how to feel about abortion"

Chas cheerfully offered his feeling on the subject before being sucker punched with the realisation the real heading was "Men don't tell people women how to feel about abortion"

A coy, subtle siren song luring the foolish onto the horde's rocky coast.

http://i.imgur.com/HQu81kA.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:Thinking about it, Chas got well trolled by PZ in the abortion debate.

PZ baited him with the post's title: "Don’t tell people how to feel about abortion"

Chas cheerfully offered his feeling on the subject before being sucker punched with the realisation the real heading was "Men don't tell people women how to feel about abortion"

A coy, subtle siren song luring the foolish onto the horde's rocky coast.

http://i.imgur.com/HQu81kA.jpg
Telling women how to feel about abortion is a terrible thing...
There is no particular reason abortion should be difficult...
That ought to be an easy decision...

Unless of course you are PZ Myers.
Then it's perfectly fine.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Herman Steynpilts: bravo. The shields are down. For now.

http://i.imgur.com/zqLfF0J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Rp5LsQ8.jpg

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Doctor Strawkins... :lol:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Better freezepage this:

http://www.freezepage.com/1394966120DRNBEMJZTW
Herman Steynpilts

16 March 2014 at 4:21 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

@141, PZ Myers:
Ban Hammered: Same guy.

He claims I’m lying, that he only made posts as “Steinpilz” … but if that’s so, he’s a member of a hivemind, because I have a whole set of identical comments in the spam trap that were made by maxwell, kryten9001, Victor Inaceus, Herman Steinpilz, harrisonfjord, and bjornagain, as they tried express their identical opinions with identical wording.
Bullshit. At what point does an ordinary liar become a pathological liar? PZ seems to have crossed that point here.

When I said that I had only posted before as Hermann Steinpilz, I was referring to comments that had actually appeared in this thread. I did try once to make a comment under the name Victor Inaceus, but that got caught in PZ’s spam filter. It was most helpful of him to point out somewhere in this thread that he had a spam filter that picked up certain expressions, so I could guess which ones to avoid. I then slightly rewrote my comment and posted it as Hermann Steinpilz, as I assumed that PZ would have added Victor Inaceus (RIP) to his spam filter. All the other names that he mentions are from other people (and I doubt they are all the same person), and it’s absolutely impossible that they could have made comments identical to mine.

tl/dr: PZ is a fucking liar. I don’t know why anyone would believe a word he says.

@142, Hank_Says:
What lacks logic, Mr fucking Spock, is abusing somebody so much that it raises their profile, gains them new fans, takes up so much of their time, changes their life so much that they turn into a veritable poster-child for how to cope with internet harassment – and then endlessly complaining every goddamn time she says anything about internet harassment.
People like you are perhaps too naive to see that RW cynically exploits and exaggerates the harassment she receives and even deliberately provokes it. It is the only way for her to sustain the attention she craves. Her opinions on science and scepticism are devoid of interest, as she has the intellectual depth of a goldfish. If she is a minor celebrity it is thanks to sad dupes of your kind, the neo-Marxist Social Justice Warriors.

@143, Hank_Says:
Hey, Persistent Pit Stain:

Remember what I said in 128 about failing?
You have failed so fucking hard in this thread that I felt the thump here in fucking Australia.
Congratulations, you managed to be even less funny than a Bjarte Foshaug cartoon. Quite an accomplishment.

@144, Ogvorbis:
So, according to the binary thinking expressed by the sock puppet on display here, since I disagree with some of what Dawkins said, I hate him. But, I disagree with some of what PZed has written, so I worship him. I was abused, so I am a liar. I abused, so I am a rapist and an example of the epic hypocrisy of FtBers. (yeah, I know xe hasn’t gone there, but it is part of the wider narrative)
I didn’t bring up Dawkins and I don’t know which of the deleted comments you are referring to, but I’m still going to reply to this. You did not just “disagree with some of what Dawkins said”. You put words in Dawkins’s mouth and then disagreed with those imaginary words. That makes you a disingenuous piece of shit.

Specifically, you wrote:
Dawkins was sexually assaulted as a child and he and his fellow survivors didn’t suffer. Some of us did go through hell but Dawkins still dismisses our experience as being automatically analogous to his and thus not a big deal (as opposed to the teaching of hell with is).
You’re a liar and a troll, just like PZ is, and no, I don’t believe a word you say. You can’t be trusted.

PZ, RW and their apologists: Horrible people, the lot of them, with their tribal call out culture, their lies, and their pathological, hypocritical, egotistical self righteousness, which rivals that of the most bigoted fundie Christians. They’re the Westboro Baptist Church of atheism.
Herman Steynpilts

16 March 2014 at 5:14 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

No surprise that authoritarians like you cling to “ze Rules are ze Rules.”

Zvan, good that you mention her. She is one of the worst of the SJ Police. As dishonest as fuck, all for The Cause. And little sad people like you are her enablers.

Go hug Oggie some more. Sink deeper into your Swamp.