Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
AnonymousCowherd

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

katamari Damassi wrote:Toby Jones IS PZ Myers in Elevatorgate!
It looks like Myers has missed his chance to have Hoffman play him though.

AnonymousCowherd

John Greg wrote:John who?
Doesn't he make films in Hong Kong?

AnonymousCowherd

A Michelle?

AnonymousCowherd

Yes!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:
There is a script here:

tinyurl.com/ev-fem which goes to
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1STN ... edit?pli=1

It's 21 or 31 pages long. ..
I just skimmed it. What a complete fucking idiot!
shit-for-brains wrote:The assertion that there are exactly two sexes is pretty new....
... Sex really is a social construct, then, exactly as the Transfeminist Manifesto claims.
O good. When someone suggested the talk was read out from a teleprompter, I assumed there would be a transcript somewhere - just not one done by the legions of A+ scribes. I also needed someone to find it for me and, if possible, read it so I don't have to. Success!

[Never fear. If I don't actually read it, I'll hand in my Skeptic Card at the security office on the way out.]
Still, might be worth taking a gander at, even if only to figure out just exactly what he means by that “Sex really is a social construct” of his. While I’m certainly not all that familiar with linguistics, it seems that there is at least some sense or justification in the assertion, at least in the sense that all language is a set of socially constructed agreements as to what words, what sounds, correspond to what are supposedly real objects and concepts. But it seems not particularly credible in the sense that those objects and concepts are not, in themselves, socially constructed.

Seems to be a “whole lot of conflation going on” in losing sight of those differences. Which tends to produce somewhat of a comedy of errors.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Brive1987 wrote:... further to Steersman above - but with (me thinks) more lolz
Harumph! Some people have all the fun ....

[well past my bedtime; night all]

AnonymousCowherd

Steersman wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
O good. When someone suggested the talk was read out from a teleprompter, I assumed there would be a transcript somewhere - just not one done by the legions of A+ scribes. I also needed someone to find it for me and, if possible, read it so I don't have to. Success!

[Never fear. If I don't actually read it, I'll hand in my Skeptic Card at the security office on the way out.]
Still, might be worth taking a gander at, even if only to figure out just exactly what he means by that “Sex really is a social construct” of his. While I’m certainly not all that familiar with linguistics, it seems that there is at least some sense or justification in the assertion, at least in the sense that all language is a set of socially constructed agreements as to what words, what sounds, correspond to what are supposedly real objects and concepts. But it seems not particularly credible in the sense that those objects and concepts are not, in themselves, socially constructed.

Seems to be a “whole lot of conflation going on” in losing sight of those differences. Which tends to produce somewhat of a comedy of errors.
Their real concern with the "social construct" claim is that x is something that can be changed, and changed by "social" action - hence the belief that all you need to do is make everyone agree with you on Twatter and the world is changed forever! They see anything biologically based as somehow immutable. It's the Left's inversion of the Right's belief that certain qualities can only be obtained by "breeding", but they spend a lot more time warbling on about it in pseudo-speak.

There are effects of things like language etc on perceptions - but that just says that what is socially constructed is our narrative about gender or whatever, not gender itself. Freud once compared people who read a book about psychoanalysis and thought they understood it, to someone in a restaurant who read the menu and thought they'd had dinner. This lot seem to have read Harry Potter and think they are all wizards.

That said, given that "feminism" is a political policy position about what ought to be done, I can't wait to read the "scientific" evidence - surely empirical statements of what is the case - for that. Poor old Hume takes a beating sometimes.

AnonymousCowherd

James Caruthers wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:For the 10 millionth time APlussers are blowing indignant about whites "appropriating" dreadlocks.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5826

So, I'd like to know: why don't they ever come down on Mohawks? Dreads and feathered headdresses are bad, but Mohawks are okay because their hipster buddies like them? Sarah Moglia and Surly Johnny are two I can think of offhand that have had the haircut.
Oh, you mean like how that black guy from The Wire appropriated one of the gods in the film Thor? Or how about Samuel L. Jackson appropriating Nick Fury in the Marvel movies? That kind of cultural appropriation?

New rule: If you're not white and of northern European ancestry like myself, you're not allowed to like, reference or have anything to do with Norse mythology. Yeah, that's right, fuck of the lot of you non-whites. No black people are allowed to like Thor. No Asians can enjoy reading stories about Loki fucking over Baldr. All you non-whites are BANNED from Norse mythology! Because of the circumstances of your birth! I'm a proud worshipper of the Norse tradition, and whenever I see you appropriating my culture, I cry internet rage tears of horror and get PTSD for a month!

Or maybe "cultural appropriation" is a shallow justification to be a racist piece of shit. Which is why it doesn't bother me when I see black people playing "white" characters, because honestly who gives a fuck about race. I also wouldn't mind if a white guy was chosen to play a black character, as long as the actor was good. Oh but I forgot, pretending like race doesn't exist is another form of being racist, UNLIKE telling white people they're not allowed to enjoy things from black culture, which is totes not racist in any way.
You forgot to mention Hitler.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:For the 10 millionth time APlussers are blowing indignant about whites "appropriating" dreadlocks.

So, I'd like to know: why don't they ever come down on Mohawks? Dreads and feathered headdresses are bad, but Mohawks are okay because their hipster buddies like them? Sarah Moglia and Surly Johnny are two I can think of offhand that have had the haircut.
Oh, you mean like how that black guy from The Wire appropriated one of the gods in the film Thor? Or how about Samuel L. Jackson appropriating Nick Fury in the Marvel movies? That kind of cultural appropriation?

New rule: If you're not white and of northern European ancestry like myself, you're not allowed to like, reference or have anything to do with Norse mythology. Yeah, that's right, fuck of the lot of you non-whites. No black people are allowed to like Thor. No Asians can enjoy reading stories about Loki fucking over Baldr. All you non-whites are BANNED from Norse mythology! Because of the circumstances of your birth! I'm a proud worshipper of the Norse tradition, and whenever I see you appropriating my culture, I cry internet rage tears of horror and get PTSD for a month!

Or maybe "cultural appropriation" is a shallow justification to be a racist piece of shit. Which is why it doesn't bother me when I see black people playing "white" characters, because honestly who gives a fuck about race. I also wouldn't mind if a white guy was chosen to play a black character, as long as the actor was good. Oh but I forgot, pretending like race doesn't exist is another form of being racist, UNLIKE telling white people they're not allowed to enjoy things from black culture, which is totes not racist in any way.
Great. Now you tell me you all are going to get upset if someone plays a Black Hitler?

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Way off topic, I suppose, but I found the weirdest thing on Amazon last night.

The Titanic Colouring Book!

http://i.imgur.com/QmOude1.jpg

Yes, now your child can bring to life one of the greatest maritime disasters with their felt-tip pens!

http://i.imgur.com/Qn1Zwdf.jpg

:bjarte:

I did look for the Holocaust Pop-Up Book but they must've sold out.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Holy fuck. My trolling paid off. I just got HJ Hornbeck to admit that white men can experience sexism and racism.
His response to me for ragging on him for being a white, cis male:
Ah, so you agree with the content of the speech, the person delivering it just has the wrong race, assigned sex, and chosen sex. How does this NOT make you racist and sexist?
(comment is near the bottom of the stacked replies)

Uh-oh. Somebody hasn't been reading their social-justice rulebook.
[youtube]PPgCLIc0W_I[/youtube]
Thanks for that, fucking brilliant :D

Hopefully some rad fems'll come on, not recognize the comedy avatar, and take your death threat claim at face value.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Michael Jai White for black Hitler.

AnonymousCowherd

SoylentAtheist wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: Oh, you mean like how that black guy from The Wire appropriated one of the gods in the film Thor? Or how about Samuel L. Jackson appropriating Nick Fury in the Marvel movies? That kind of cultural appropriation?

Great. Now you tell me you all are going to get upset if someone plays a Black Hitler?
No, a Nordic Hitler.

AnonymousCowherd

Tapir wrote:Way off topic, I suppose, but I found the weirdest thing on Amazon last night.

Yes, now your child can bring to life one of the greatest maritime disasters with their felt-tip pens!

I thought the iceberg was not that visible above the water? That captain sure was a putz!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:I can't see Ed or Peezus going along with that (and let's face it, there's no way they are going to be the ones hiking up K2.)
Well, there's Avi's solution right there. I'm sure the Slymepit alone would cheerfully come up with the cash to send Ed and Peez to the top of the world, as long as we got regular reports and pics of the plum colored sweatbags choking down dung-heated yak butter tea.
Myers recently made a video of himself walking two hundred meters to work in the snow and proudly posted it on youtube as if he'd done the modern heroic equivalent to Captain Oates on Scotts mission to the South Pole.

[youtube]Eqajj8DvqvU[/youtube]

Frankly I don't think either Myers (who had a heart condition a few years back) or Brayton would survive a himalayan trip.
Who else could he have meant from FTB as his fellow hikers?
Ophelia and Svan?
Thibeault and McCreight?
Carrier and Comrade Physioproffe?

The more I think of it, the better it sounds. It's like a D-list celebrity big brother show with the potential of yeti harassment.
When PZ posted that video, and then, after only a few days, posted a picture of junk mail with his address still on it, I think he was trying far too hard to get some doxxing victimhood points. I laughed as the days went by and no one doxxed him.

His address was already on the internet easy for anyone to find, along with his home phone number and other things, like how much the house he owns/rents sold for about 10 years ago, but I guess he wanted some attention paid to where he lives. Doxxing attention. Doxxing victimhood attention. It was delightful seeing no one notice at the time. :lol:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:Tony's credibility as a black woman is a bit diminished by that white-male-sounding name and the profile picture featuring a white cis man.
way ahead of you Kitteh.
You see I already told them in the thread that I'm a black-identifying trans-woman otherkin. My otherkin being the late Fred West.
So although I was born with white skin and a penis I don't identify with them and am, for all intents and puposes, a black woman who thinks she's a male serial killer.
Posing as a run-of-the-mill A+ poster. Very clever.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:Tony's credibility as a black woman is a bit diminished by that white-male-sounding name and the profile picture featuring a white cis man.
way ahead of you Kitteh.
You see I already told them in the thread that I'm a black-identifying trans-woman otherkin. My otherkin being the late Fred West.
So although I was born with white skin and a penis I don't identify with them and am, for all intents and puposes, a black woman who thinks she's a male serial killer.

Privilege: -4567
Social-Justice checkmate.
Fucking hell, Parsehole - that thread is a hoot!

I have to ask - did you deploy that SJW argument generator gizmo thingy?

Southern

Post by Southern »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Now you guys got me wishing for a The Producers remake set in the 70's where Max and Leo produce a blaxpoitation version of Springtime for Hitler, with Dolomite as the Fuhrer.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Great Moments from 'Why the Internet is Beautiful' #144:
http://i.imgur.com/eU1TFZv.png
It's just...the face of ol' Fred there. With the words 'mocked for my way of life (trans, otherkin)'. It's just cracking me up...

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tapir wrote:Way off topic, I suppose, but I found the weirdest thing on Amazon last night.

MOM! What's a good color for a floating, frozen corpse?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Cunts can't spell Southampton.

katamari Damassi

I'm probably too late on this, but I heard that Cracked is looking for contributors. There's some tremendous shoop talent here in the Pit that deserves a wider audience, plus it might spare us another "10 Ways Men Are Terrible and Women Are Awesome" article.

katamari Damassi

Tony- if there were a Nobel prize for trolling, I would nominate you based on those posts.

welch

Post by welch »

Guest wrote:I should add to that, of all my 200~ FB friends (no, it's not a huge amount, but at least I do know them all personally) I AM THE ONLY ONE who has ever heard of Rebecca Watson. Even my fellow atheists (the vast majority of the people I associate with) really only know by name Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris. They wouldn't know PZ if he popped up in their soup.

Never lose perspective... most of these FTB bloggers are nobodies in the real world. They have no impact outside of their twitter account.

a few of us have pointed that out over the years.

katamari Damassi

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
SoylentAtheist wrote:
No, a Nordic Hitler.[/quote]
Every time the casting is announced for a big movie adaptation of a comic book, the Shakesvillians work themselves into a lather over more white dudes in movies, and then recast the movie with the people they want-almost always Gena Torres and Gabourny Sidibe make the list. And McEwen instantly bans anyone who brings up canon.

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:So there's an FtBCon session on the history and accomplishments of AtheismPlus. It's exactly what you think it is because... what accomplishments? So it's a lot of excuse-making. No, really, they can't come up with anything, just a shit ton of woulda-coulda-shouldas. Too busy fighting evildoers for their "safe space," not enough Spoons (which carries the affectation of being a capital-T Theory, I didn't know that), "honest respectful" disagreements (bug-eyed screaming matches) among themselves (one Thanksgiving initiative didn't come off because Thanksgiving is bad medicine for NoGodsNoMasters, who is another white "Native American"), yadda, yadda.

There are big plans cooking, though. Like A+ Blogs, for example. Which you can't find, because it isn't linked on the front page -- http://atheismplus.com/blogs/. And it of course, has no content. Well actually, it does have a few posts, but you have to click the strangely named A+ Organization Mode or Main Content Mode links at the top to see them.

It's a sad spectacle. They're ebullient about one thing, though -- after a year and a quarter of doing nothing, they're still around. Despite the nay-sayers, they didn't drive off too many potential members, didn't dwindle and disappear, they merely went "underground." So nyah, slymey fuckers. When they unite the Facebook pages, Reddit forum, sympathetic blogs, and the Mothership under the coming non-profit umbrella, we won't laugh any longer.

[youtube]v0nhF2FosxQ[/youtube]
Remember A+Scribe? Oh that's right, nobody could be bothered to actually type transcripts. No A+ venture will ever succeed because the members are lazy and entitled and think that bitching in their safe spaces counts as activism.
The temptation to do captions for FTBCon is pretty huge.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

katamari Damassi wrote:Tony- if there were a Nobel prize for trolling, I would nominate you based on those posts.
It's like the most incredible guitar solo of trolling. It's so effortless, it flows like bullshit out of Greg Laden.
Parsehole, you are a true artiste.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

katamari Damassi wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
SoylentAtheist wrote:
No, a Nordic Hitler.
Every time the casting is announced for a big movie adaptation of a comic book, the Shakesvillians work themselves into a lather over more white dudes in movies, and then recast the movie with the people they want-almost always Gena Torres and Gabourny Sidibe make the list. And McEwen instantly bans anyone who brings up canon.[/quote]

I bet McEwen frothed at the mouth when Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as Khan in the last Star Trek movie.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Gumby

Nah, what really got Liss on the rag was that very brief (alas) scene with Alice Eve in her underwear, cuz -
Kirk breaches Marcus' consent by looking her in direct contravention of her explicit request that he not look. That's not showing Kirk to be a "womanizer"; it's showing Kirk to be a predator who's committing a sexual assault.
Well indeedy - a sneaky peek is equivalent to a sexual assault, according to Jabba the Pizza Hut. Not a word about Marcus indecently exposing herself in Kirk's presence, of course.

http://www.shakesville.com/2013/05/jj-a ... wn-on.html

Llama guest

Post by Llama guest »

guest wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:SGU. Steve: "our good friend Michael Shermer". And 'the wonderful speaker Lawrence Krauss'

It's almost like he was rubbing someone's face in it. The other term is attempted "constructive dismissal"

By her silence RW effectively shredded whatever SJW cred she may have had. She has long since waved that pony goodbye in her attempt to milk a living from big tent skepticism and her science underpinnings.
Rumor always had it that if you spoke to him about her inclusion, he'd say they kept her on only due to neckbeard appeal. They would replace her with somone like Hrab ASAP if only they could IMHO. Her store no longer sells Hrab merch since his rant about skepchicks.
I still see the Vibraphone George Hrab t-shirt for sale on the skeptical robot store.

And when did Hrab have a rant about skepchicks? Surely that would have made huge headlines all over the drama blogs and calls for boycotts and blacklisting of him at events.

katamari Damassi

Gumby wrote:
I bet McEwen frothed at the mouth when Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as Khan in the last Star Trek movie.
You know it! WHITEWASHING!
Of course everything about that movie sucked donkey dick, so it's hard to fault her on this one.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

James Caruthers wrote:

I'm still cross about how so many black guys in the 60s and 70s culturally appropriated the Jewfro.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Of course everything about that movie sucked donkey dick, so it's hard to fault her on this one.
But... but... Robocop!

welch

Post by welch »

Git wrote:The last time Denver took a beating like that, it was when John's plane went down...
Nice. The one I saw:

"Denver scoring was like that one time when Terry Schaivo blinked her eyes."

welch

Post by welch »

Ape+lust wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:That scheme was amazing, in its depth of self-importance and ideas of their power. They were like a really clever 12-year-old, who had this brilliant solution to, like, all the world's wars, and she would, like, be a central organizing node where all the, like, leaders and stuff would get together and come sit in her den and just, like, talk things through.

Yeah, it was that bad. I believe they wanted to triage all phone calls made to The Samaritans, rape helplines, spousal abuse helplines, and so on, and they would have a crack team of Aplussers ready to search Google for the caller's nearest center which could deal with their needs. I'm not even fucking joking.
Oh man, no shit! They were like kids who thought they'd be Superman if they put on a cape. And NOT ONE PERSON who thought it was nutty said a word. They might be young, but they're fargin' adults. Yet they're as barmy with their make-believe as 7 year olds.

Just getting a technical support call routed to Bangalore is one of the most aggravating things ever. Can you imagine someone with a bottle of scotch, a gun pointed at their head, and Grimalkin answers the phone? BOOM!
If gravity wasn't ableist, they'd be able to fly.

katamari Damassi

TedDahlberg wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Gumby wrote:
But... but... Robocop!
If a film is released in either September or February, there is a 90% chance that it's runny shit.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

There is this, though:

http://www.gamebooks.org/gallery/cyoa163.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:@Gumby

Nah, what really got Liss on the rag was that very brief (alas) scene with Alice Eve in her underwear, cuz -
Kirk breaches Marcus' consent by looking her in direct contravention of her explicit request that he not look. That's not showing Kirk to be a "womanizer"; it's showing Kirk to be a predator who's committing a sexual assault.
Well indeedy - a sneaky peek is equivalent to a sexual assault, according to Jabba the Pizza Hut. Not a word about Marcus indecently exposing herself in Kirk's presence, of course.

http://www.shakesville.com/2013/05/jj-a ... wn-on.html
Every single time I read Melissa McDonald'sEwan's prose I am reminded of Dave Spart. The resemblance is phenomenal. Really, you couldn't satirize the bloated lardbag no matter how hard you tried.

katamari Damassi

My own feelings regarding casting different races or different sex for an established character are this: if the race or sex are unimportant to the character's origin or narrative arc then I don't care. For instance casting a black or Asian dude as Captain America would be really tough to pull off without a total rewrite of his origin story. Thor is already a silly character and casting someone who didn't look Nordic would've been too much, but Heimdal being a peripheral character made casting Elba okay-plus Elba is awesome.
Fantastic Four fans are currently in a huff over a reboot that's about to start. Some are upset that a black actor is being cast as the Human Torch, but more fans are upset with that the none of the characters or their origin story resembles the comic book so why make it a FF movie in the first place. I've never been an FF fan so I don't really care what they do with it.
Ron Moore casting Katie Sackoff as Starbuck was one of the best things he did with BSG.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Lsuoma wrote: Every single time I read Melissa McDonald'sEwan's prose I am reminded of Dave Spart. The resemblance is phenomenal. Really, you couldn't satirize the bloated lardbag no matter how hard you tried.
I'm reminded more of the 300 Spartans, in that she weighs as much, and would have blocked the pass at Thermopylae quite adequately by merely sitting there.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

James Caruthers wrote:

Your new rule cracked me up. The part that makes it extra funny and revealing is the fact that when Thor came out there were neo nazis puking up rants indistinguishable from the one you wrote. There was even a proposed boycott for exactly the reasons you stated.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/12/2 ... ll-in-Thor#

I wonder what other thoughtforms these clowns are going to borrow from stormfront.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

katamari Damassi wrote: Ron Moore casting Katie Sackoff as Starbuck was one of the best things he did with BSG.
Amen to that. She was the heart and soul of that show.

Dirk Benedict hated that decision though. I'm at work and can't really look it up right now, but if you want to laugh at how petty and pathetic he got over the Moore's casting decision re Starbuck, google his official site. He moans about how he misses the days when men were men and how awful Sackhoff's re-gendered Starbuck is. He truly came off as the stereotype misogynist the SJWs caricature all men as.

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:My own feelings regarding casting different races or different sex for an established character are this: if the race or sex are unimportant to the character's origin or narrative arc then I don't care. For instance casting a black or Asian dude as Captain America would be really tough to pull off without a total rewrite of his origin story. Thor is already a silly character and casting someone who didn't look Nordic would've been too much, but Heimdal being a peripheral character made casting Elba okay-plus Elba is awesome.
Fantastic Four fans are currently in a huff over a reboot that's about to start. Some are upset that a black actor is being cast as the Human Torch, but more fans are upset with that the none of the characters or their origin story resembles the comic book so why make it a FF movie in the first place. I've never been an FF fan so I don't really care what they do with it.
Ron Moore casting Katie Sackoff as Starbuck was one of the best things he did with BSG.
If the movie's good, then the casting decisions are rather unimportant. If the movie blows, then it's harder to be forgiving.

Given how...meh...the other two FF movies have been, casting a black guy as the Human Torch isn't the big worry.

welch

Post by welch »

Old_ones wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

Your new rule cracked me up. The part that makes it extra funny and revealing is the fact that when Thor came out there were neo nazis puking up rants indistinguishable from the one you wrote. There was even a proposed boycott for exactly the reasons you stated.

I wonder what other thoughtforms these clowns are going to borrow from stormfront.
Oh christ, all we need now is A+ freaking out because casting nordic people in a nordic role is racist, and we'll have a fucking tear in space-time. THE UNIVERSE CAN'T HANDLE THAT MANY ITERATIONS OF UNINTENTIONAL SELF-PARODY.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

katamari Damassi wrote:Tony- if there were a Nobel prize for trolling, I would nominate you based on those posts.
http://www.gifcrap.com/g2data/albums/Mi ... 0tears.gif

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

katamari Damassi wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
SoylentAtheist wrote:
No, a Nordic Hitler.
Every time the casting is announced for a big movie adaptation of a comic book, the Shakesvillians work themselves into a lather over more white dudes in movies, and then recast the movie with the people they want-almost always Gena Torres and Gabourny Sidibe make the list. And McEwen instantly bans anyone who brings up canon.[/quote]
Yeah but she never complains about Tom Hardy being cast in films does she? The randy cow.

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Ron Moore casting Katie Sackoff as Starbuck was one of the best things he did with BSG.
Amen to that. She was the heart and soul of that show.

Dirk Benedict hated that decision though. I'm at work and can't really look it up right now, but if you want to laugh at how petty and pathetic he got over the Moore's casting decision re Starbuck, google his official site. He moans about how he misses the days when men were men and how awful Sackhoff's re-gendered Starbuck is. He truly came off as the stereotype misogynist the SJWs caricature all men as.
I think it's safe to say Dirk Benedict liked nothing about the reboot.

Although after the first season or so, when it turned into "Days of Our Battlestar", I stopped watching. Less angst, more 'splosions and pew-pew.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

He's a trans* black trans* woman. Suppose I assert that all black women possess nappy hair, and find that out of 100 black women, 100 possess nappy hair. Have I demonstrated that the 101st woman will possess nappy hair? Nope. How about a million? A billion?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Old_ones wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

Oops. That's embarrassing.
I think I'll save that link for future reference.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
He's a trans* black trans* woman. Suppose I assert that all black women possess nappy hair, and find that out of 100 black women, 100 possess nappy hair. Have I demonstrated that the 101st woman will possess nappy hair? Nope. How about a million? A billion?
I'm waiting with baited breath to be told I'm not allowed to identify as a black person for whatever reason. Some of these fuckers think they're cybermen* or Doctor Who*, others think they are stars* or frost giants* or characters from anime*.
If they tell me I'm in the wrong for wanting to be a human with slightly darker skin they can fuck right off.

* http://otherkinsight.com/

Southern

Post by Southern »

And I thought the Slymepit was a weird forum. Then I wandered into a Fire Emblem: Awakening forum and one of the tags most visited is "eugenics" (because in this game you manage to choose which characters will be the parents of the second generation of characters, and you can aim for optimization). Peezus Christ that creeped me out.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Somewhere around the 37th fist fight I dozed off. I musta slept through the donkey scene.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

HJ Hornbeck just doesn't get it. He needs to listen to the women and stop doubling down:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/1229 ... 592b_o.png

Sheesh....They really don't like their own arguments being used against them.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

There are patterns in how we develop, some of which are more likely to happen than others. To represent these patterns, we have jointly developed some terms to tame the complexity, terms like “black” and “white.”
Race really is a social construct, then, exactly as the Transracist Manifesto claims.

BillHamp

Post by BillHamp »

Does anyone know if this is true:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/02/wikip ... to-fix-it/

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=5409

It seems so completely insane that I have a hard time believing it is serious. If it is real...wow.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tony Parsehole wrote:HJ Hornbeck just doesn't get it. He needs to listen to the women and stop doubling down:

I hope all the usual lurkers from FTB skip their turn this week, because this is GOLD. I don't want it to stop in the near future. Parsehole, you magnificent bastard.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tony Parsehole wrote:HJ Hornbeck just doesn't get it. He needs to listen to the women and stop doubling down:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't breathe! HAHA! :laughing-rolling:

*takes a deep breath* ... Okay. I'm good.

Who was it that said that black people can't be racist on Twitter? Was it Sikivu? If you can find it, include that too. Watch him squirm. :D

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

katamari Damassi wrote:My own feelings regarding casting different races or different sex for an established character are this: if the race or sex are unimportant to the character's origin or narrative arc then I don't care.
This is pretty much how I feel, although I'll add that if someone really wants to try mixing up a formula, they shouldn't stop at just the characters' skin color or sex parts. Instead of just plugging a minority into a conventional story and calling it a job well done, how about taking the character and their story in a new direction? Think 1932 vs 1983 Scarface. Camonte is an Italian immigrant, Montana is a Cuban immigrant. And both stories stand on their own.

Post by Guest »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
way ahead of you Kitteh.

Privilege: -4567
Social-Justice checkmate.
You just revealed yourself, I'm afraid. According to the most recent privilege ranking list I saw, IIRC some form of Jew was below trans black females in teh hierarchy. Someone can still achieve less privilege than you, you ignorant cuntfuck douchecanoe! CHECK YOURSELF PLS

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

We should tolerate racism so long as it's 'punching up'?

Would it be terribly ableist of me to say that Hornbeck must've been dropped as a baby?