Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by welch »

jet_lagg wrote:Just read Ogvorbis comments. Why are we not going to the police? Am I missing some background information here?
Honestly?

Because I think they're full of shit and angling for attention. The "I let the monster out and beat the shit out of someone" is the tell.

Read the posts those twats make, and see how many of them tell the same fucking tale:

1) They have a "monster" inside. A violent dark monster.
2) The cruelty of the world makes it a constant struggle to keep the monster contained
3) This one time, they let it out. Their control slipped. It was in high/middle school. They snapped.
4) they <insert really bad thing here> to the person, just fucked their shit up.
5) They would have killed the person, but SOMEONE was there to pull them off. They were just barely able to, so great was the fury of the monster.
6) They don't remember the details. It was a red/black haze/fog of anger/hate.
7) The other person was older, bigger, stronger, a total badass jock/fighter/gangsta

over and fucking over those assclowns tell the story, and it's the same fucking story. It's the same damned plot, and fucking ogg did the same thing.

As soon as I hear that fucking trope, the level of proof I then require to believe anything the person says goes straight up, because it's the same fucking story. The "i seem meek, but if you fuck with me, THE BEAST SHALL BE RELEASED"

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Time for this one again! :D

http://i.imgur.com/q7Lyiey.jpg
Who's the monotone hottie on the left with that brooding stare? Hubba, hubba.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Service Dog wrote:Why are Michael J Fox's milkshakes so delicious?

˙sʇuǝıpǝɹƃuı ʇsǝuıɟ ǝɥʇ sǝsn ʎluo ǝɥ
I hear his milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. He would teach you, but he'd had to charge.

YOU CANNOT STOP THE INFLUX OF STUPID JOKES TODAY!

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
mikelf wrote:
Za-zen wrote:[youtube]nr7NvpFEbIU[/youtube]
Yemmi's poetry is improving.
Muslim Tai-Chi can be a bit unsettling to the unaccustommed eye.
BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
That's not fair. Y'all know I have a crush on Jen.
More so than on El Fideldo?
Reminds me of Richard Herring trying to find a joke so obscure that only one person in the audience would laugh. (Googling doesn't count)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3168/3015 ... d541f6.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

Aneris wrote:What's more, the point on Ogvorbis remains. Benson just found a way to again avert it being visible on her blog. That's the game. Welch Insult Exegesis is allowed to establish all kinds of convoluted theories about ideological underpinnings to make "us" look horrible (kkk! anti-semitism! misogyny!), but plain quoting and pointing out the context on their side of the fence is quickly swept under the rug. My point there (and on Twitter) wasn't really about ogvorbis story itself, but about how Caine and others gave him virtual hugs just after he wrote how he raped three girls. His horrible story was on page one of the "stunned silence" thread, there was an ongoing discussion as people shared more stories, and on page two he came out with his monster story. He then got hugs for it. I still try to wrap my mind around how such people can appear on my twitter line and with utmost conviction pretend not only how morally superior they are, but also how terribly bad my view on the situation is.

http://i.imgur.com/ggqQOrs.jpg
They could use the reasons my wife gives to people:

"Sometimes, he's an asshole. But he's very good at it."

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

welch wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Just read Ogvorbis comments. Why are we not going to the police? Am I missing some background information here?
Honestly?

Because I think they're full of shit and angling for attention. The "I let the monster out and beat the shit out of someone" is the tell.

Read the posts those twats make, and see how many of them tell the same fucking tale:

2) The cruelty of the world makes it a constant struggle to keep the monster contained
3) This one time, they let it out. Their control slipped. It was in high/middle school. They snapped.
4) they <insert really bad thing here> to the person, just fucked their shit up.
5) They would have killed the person, but SOMEONE was there to pull them off. They were just barely able to, so great was the fury of the monster.
7) The other person was older, bigger, stronger, a total badass jock/fighter/gangsta

over and fucking over those assclowns tell the story, and it's the same fucking story. It's the same damned plot, and fucking ogg did the same thing.

As soon as I hear that fucking trope, the level of proof I then require to believe anything the person says goes straight up, because it's the same fucking story. The "i seem meek, but if you fuck with me, THE BEAST SHALL BE RELEASED"

[youtube]KUnO4gK_56g[/youtube]

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tony Parsehole wrote: Although I see Dawkins point that shoop is pretty fucking funny. Well done "Generic Skepchick Model 23452/C".
Keep on like this and you may one day feel love....
http://weknowmemes.com/generator/upload ... 615992.jpg
[youtube]xhrBDcQq2DM[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

Southern wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Why are Michael J Fox's milkshakes so delicious?

˙sʇuǝıpǝɹƃuı ʇsǝuıɟ ǝɥʇ sǝsn ʎluo ǝɥ
I hear his milkshake brings all the boys to the yard. He would teach you, but he'd had to charge.

YOU CANNOT STOP THE INFLUX OF STUPID JOKES TODAY!
That's why Michael J. Fox is bond's favorite bartender.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Time for this one again! :D

http://i.imgur.com/q7Lyiey.jpg
Who's the monotone hottie on the left with that brooding stare? Hubba, hubba.

[youtube]Q2n8mI2LOKA[/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

mikelf wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
:) Reminds me of something that a local humour columnist - Eric Nichol, I think - once said: "Any time I get the urge to do something I lie down and wait until it passes" .... :rimshot: :)
Your local humorist pretty much stole that line from the 1939 Frank Capra movie "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington."

Starting at 20:00

Total non sequitur, but Jean Arthur is pretty much my idea of the perfect woman.

/pedant
Thanks. I had thought it was somewhat unlikely that he had coined the phrase, but it's always nice to know the history of such.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:This whole thing with Oggie illustrates the tribal mentality very well.

I think most of us can agree that the degree to which we should condemn adult-Oggie for his child-crimes depends in part on child-Oggie's age when he committed those crimes, and that indeed an abusive past should be taken into account for child offenders.

These are difficult issues that aren't black-and-white.

But because he repented, it magically becomes black-and-white in the eyes of the Horde. No need to take into consideration that Oggie himself said that he knew what he was doing was wrong when he raped those girls. No need to ask ourselves if maybe child-Oggie was old enough at the time of the incident that the excuse of having an abusive past can't completely exonerate him.

No—he came to Peezus, so clearly the adults who abused him were 100% responsible for his wrongdoings. No need to actually grapple with the difficult issues.
and they wonder why we accuse them of being dogmatic and religious

its not like they have a built in system of sjw repentance or anything

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

http://skepchick.org/2013/11/the-top-te ... honeygate/

I can't help but picture Rebecca Watson as The Monarch from The Venture Bros. cartoon, cackling gleefully to her inept minions as she scores another "takedown" on Dawkins. Any bets what her next video or stirring lecture will be about?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Seriously. If anyone deserved a doxxing, it's this guy.
For a "recovered memory" that probably never happened? I'm not going to dox Caine for being a murderer (future murderer), or Oggie for being a rapist. I suppose someone could dig up that information and then report him to his local PD with the evidence of what he said, but in the absence of evidence, I doubt they could do much. And if he really didn't do anything and is just fucked up in the head, I would not want him to go to prison.

His 2nd story, the one where he beats up a bigger kid, is a typical laughable lie that many insecure men make up. It's always a bigger, stronger kid, and they always would have killed the bully etc etc. This is a nerd victim narrative that's meant to be empowering, but it's usually bullshit. If I may quote someone else who, like me, has heard this stupid shit before:
People with emotional problems, or psychological problems, that make them violent usually don't like to talk about it. It's a fault, not a fucking awesome story of the prize fight you won against evil bullies. The two major "tells" that make me think this story could be fake is the "monster" narrative (it wasn't ME it was a monster inside of me!) and the obsession with "control." These people (nerds) think they need to have complete control at all times or they'll go fucking Hulk and wreck the world. Yeah sorry, not buying it.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

I agree that Oggie's story is probably mostly or entirely BS. My comments about the Horde's reaction assume the story is true (because the Horde assumes it's true).

But yeah, "repressed memories" my butt.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:This whole thing with Oggie illustrates the tribal mentality very well.

I think most of us can agree that the degree to which we should condemn adult-Oggie for his child-crimes depends in part on child-Oggie's age when he committed those crimes, and that indeed an abusive past should be taken into account for child offenders.

These are difficult issues that aren't black-and-white.
While most child-rapists were child-rape victims, the majority of child-rape victims do not become child rapists. And, of course, lots and lots of people have horrible, shitty things happen to them and do not go out and continue the cycle of violence, abuse, etc.

In short, I'm not a fan of hypoagency. And while it's not directly related to this particular subject, there are some lessons/observations about hypoagency in this link: http://www.genderratic.com/p/3323/hypoa ... wonderful/

Anyway, I don't see any 'shades of gray' concerns. He's a child-rapist. He was not coerced in raping those three girls no exculpation.

Further, what he should do is, at a minimum, make amends (at least anonymously) to those girls while living his life of shame. And, if he really wants to make up for it, make his amends then turn himself in to the appropriate legal authorities.

Instead, he basks in the wholly mis-placed and dysfunctional empathy-feast set out for him by those crazy wankers at FTB. Who, if they were 'correct thinkers,' should at least be somewhat repelled by his actions and not be saying stupid shit like "you can rape babysit my children."

But because he repented, it magically becomes black-and-white in the eyes of the Horde. No need to take into consideration that Oggie himself said that he knew what he was doing was wrong when he raped those girls. No need to ask ourselves if maybe child-Oggie was old enough at the time of the incident that the excuse of having an abusive past can't completely exonerate him.

No—he came to Peezus, so clearly the adults who abused him were 100% responsible for his wrongdoings. No need to actually grapple with the difficult issues.
Well, of course. Feminism is about blaming others for your eternal, self-imposed victim-hood.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

bhoytony wrote:
Gefan wrote:
as much as I admire the wit of Southern, Cunt of Personality, Bhoytoy; in the end they're going to overload us all with "The Crazy".
Bhoytoy? Fucking Bhoytoy?
http://i.imgur.com/xGo3Qqt.png

Rope apologist

Post by Rope apologist »

Myers:
And how can they do that? Just by forming tight little groups where they repeat their messages to each other incessantly — they are self-affirming enclaves that find vindication by finding other people who want to believe the same things they do. Apes are good social animals who are quite adept at doing that: what rocks and trees and stars are saying is far less significant to an ape-mind than what that other ape who grooms your hair is saying. How do you think Answers in Genesis and the Tea Party can persist, when the real world is shrieking at them at full volume that their myths are false? They simply don’t care.
An important fact is that Answers in Genesis and the Tea Party can see how this occurs with others, but not with themselves.

As if they were as immune to such ape tendencies as SJWs are.

James Caruthers

welch wrote:
Honestly?

[youtube]ybJjnnXtajQ[/youtube]
There's a bunch of these. A forum for huge nerds and whatta shock, they all have "monster" stories to tell.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

And how can they do that? Just by forming tight little groups where they repeat their messages to each other incessantly — they are self-affirming enclaves that find vindication by finding other people who want to believe the same things they do. Apes are good social animals who are quite adept at doing that: what rocks and trees and stars are saying is far less significant to an ape-mind than what that other ape who grooms your hair is saying. How do you think Answers in Genesis and the Tea Party can persist, when the real world is shrieking at them at full volume that their myths are false? They simply don’t care.
Evo-Psych alert!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Ophelia doing her thang then:
http://i.imgur.com/bgYG9fk.png

Ophelia doing her thang now:
http://i.imgur.com/xw4LPgF.png

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Aneris wrote:What's more, the point on Ogvorbis remains. Benson just found a way to again avert it being visible on her blog. That's the game. Welch Insult Exegesis is allowed to establish all kinds of convoluted theories about ideological underpinnings to make "us" look horrible (kkk! anti-semitism! misogyny!), but plain quoting and pointing out the context on their side of the fence is quickly swept under the rug. My point there (and on Twitter) wasn't really about ogvorbis story itself, but about how Caine and others gave him virtual hugs just after he wrote how he raped three girls. His horrible story was on page one of the "stunned silence" thread, there was an ongoing discussion as people shared more stories, and on page two he came out with his monster story. He then got hugs for it. I still try to wrap my mind around how such people can appear on my twitter line and with utmost conviction pretend not only how morally superior they are, but also how terribly bad my view on the situation is.

http://i.imgur.com/ggqQOrs.jpg
Aneris is one tweet away from stalking and harrassment. Bet she is kept off the bot for long enough to establish this pattern.

Who'd a thought such evil lurked here.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

http://i.imgur.com/xw4LPgF.png

Little jar of honey? What are you, a faaag?! Hey, everybody, look at what a sissy Dawkins is! Git the homo! Git him!!

[youtube]k-diau1UxLc[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tribble wrote: In short, I'm not a fan of hypoagency. And while it's not directly related to this particular subject, there are some lessons/observations about hypoagency in this link: http://www.genderratic.com/p/3323/hypoa ... wonderful/
I have GendErratic in my feed so I saw that article when it came out but not this comment :
Tamen on 2013-10-09 at 1:47 pm said:
I think this has certainly been a factor in the case where a Norwegian man has basically been fined for being raped in a public place. He is contesting the fine because he says he was asleep and don’t recall the sex act. He is now being dragged to court. I write about it here: http://tamenwrote.wordpress.com/2013/10 ... ing-raped/
Tribble wrote: Anyway, I don't see any 'shades of gray' concerns. He's a child-rapist. He was not coerced in raping those three girls no exculpation.
Assuming he has not made up the whole thing then yes.
Tribble wrote: Further, what he should do is, at a minimum, make amends (at least anonymously) to those girls while living his life of shame. And, if he really wants to make up for it, make his amends then turn himself in to the appropriate legal authorities.

Instead, he basks in the wholly mis-placed and dysfunctional empathy-feast set out for him by those crazy wankers at FTB. Who, if they were 'correct thinkers,' should at least be somewhat repelled by his actions and not be saying stupid shit like "you can rape babysit my children."

Well, of course. Feminism is about blaming others for your eternal, self-imposed victim-hood.
Well, that brand of Feminism anyway. SJW/Feminism? It certainly was not the one I signed up for, but it is just one of the things that made me bail on it. It took a long time though. I only stopped calling myself a Feminist less than three years ago.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:As I mentioned previously, I thought Dawkins honey tweet was a bit silly (especially when he must realize by now that he has a shoal of SJW piranhas waiting eagerly for any crumb he drops from his table.)

So, just like when anyone else says something silly, Dawkins must be prepared for his own slip-ups to be mocked.

Even if it involves the dreaded photoshop!
By a skepchick!

This picture is nicely done - although it would have been far better without the (racist and sexist?) line about "white male sadness" -

http://i.imgur.com/yNiUUSn.jpg

I see that Ophelia must have realized that there's no point sucking up to Dawkins anymore and has jumped on the mocking SJW bandwagon for this one.
Although I see Dawkins point that shoop is pretty fucking funny. Well done "Generic Skepchick Model 23452/C".
Keep on like this and you may one day feel love....
http://weknowmemes.com/generator/upload ... 615992.jpg
The Generic Skepchick Model is wrong. Her hair is a natural color.

katamari Damassi

James Caruthers wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Seriously. If anyone deserved a doxxing, it's this guy.
For a "recovered memory" that probably never happened? I'm not going to dox Caine for being a murderer (future murderer), or Oggie for being a rapist. I suppose someone could dig up that information and then report him to his local PD with the evidence of what he said, but in the absence of evidence, I doubt they could do much. And if he really didn't do anything and is just fucked up in the head, I would not want him to go to prison.

His 2nd story, the one where he beats up a bigger kid, is a typical laughable lie that many insecure men make up. It's always a bigger, stronger kid, and they always would have killed the bully etc etc. This is a nerd victim narrative that's meant to be empowering, but it's usually bullshit. If I may quote someone else who, like me, has heard this stupid shit before:
People with emotional problems, or psychological problems, that make them violent usually don't like to talk about it. It's a fault, not a fucking awesome story of the prize fight you won against evil bullies. The two major "tells" that make me think this story could be fake is the "monster" narrative (it wasn't ME it was a monster inside of me!) and the obsession with "control." These people (nerds) think they need to have complete control at all times or they'll go fucking Hulk and wreck the world. Yeah sorry, not buying it.
Let me clarify: I wasn't suggesting he be dodder here, I agree with the pit's no dox policy, I was merely pointing out that Oggie surpasses any FfTB benchmark for doxxing.

katamari Damassi

I would also like to point out that many of my posts are made during breaks at work from my tiny screened iPhone and that's my excuse for many of my posts reading as though English was not my first language.

helenhighwater

Post by helenhighwater »

katamari Damassi wrote:I would also like to point out that many of my posts are made during breaks at work from my tiny screened iPhone and that's my excuse for many of my posts reading as though English was not my first language.
engrish is not yore first wanguage?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Reading the ogvorbis blogspot blog-- and his prior wordpress blog-- is chilling.

One of his frequent themes is Hey Christians! I'm an atheist, but look how respectable and normal I am! No need to fear that I'm secretly the devil's pawn.

Not a strong argument, from someone who is self-described rape and murder "monster".

There's a post about a ogvorbis interfering between "a beautiful wife" and "some poor sod" who didn't want to change his 3 children's diapers. Shit ogvorbis, maybe the dude was raped in the cub scouts and can't wipe 3 kids asses without raping them! I mean, I'd have considered the idea that males can't be trusted with childcare to be sexist, but I'm not a child raper... so...

Ogvorbis jokingly offers to create a "how I lost my virginity flowchart". PLEASE DON'T. (Also, ogvorbis adding the punchline "alcohol" isn't kosher with his rape-culture klatch.)

There's finger-pointing post against Christians who "inappropriately sexualize" children (with a father-daughter abstinence dance). Et tu, ogvorbis?

There's also the mandatory liberal atheist fuming about how-- Christian preachers who fume against homosexuality-- are invariably caught in homosexual scandals. Ok... but does the corrolary then follow... that atheists who fume against Christian and Boy Scout child molestation-- are invariably murder-monster child rapers?!

Either Ogvorbis is a veteran rapist disguised as a mild mannered Joe Normal teddy bear--
or Ogvorbis is a liar, pretending to be an honest normal person and also pretending to be teenage mass-rapist of children.

Both options are genuinely creepy.

Ophelia Benson's response-- is to move anyone who objects-- to another diocese.

Keating

Post by Keating »

welch wrote:As soon as I hear that fucking trope, the level of proof I then require to believe anything the person says goes straight up, because it's the same fucking story. The "i seem meek, but if you fuck with me, THE BEAST SHALL BE RELEASED"
I have a story like this. The larger, bigger bully who liked harrassing me went to far one day, and I. Just. Snapped. The BEAST was unleashed and I grabbed his head. He promptly broke my nose and walked away laughing.

Fear me.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Dick Strawkins wrote:[...]Ophelia treats the word liar as having three separate meanings.

1. "A person who has told something that I disagree with".
This is her standard response to being told something based on evidence (such as quoting her own words, or those of her favorite sycophants) that deviates from the script of FTB=good, non FTB=bad.
Usually the use of liar in this circumstance is just another word for "bad" since there is no amount of evidence that will get Ophelia to withdraw the charge - she will just move on to a new attack.

2. "A person who has said something that is wrong".
This definition is close to the standard popular notion of liar - although it doesn't require intent to deceive. Making a factual error (for example saying that one commenter said something when in fact it was another - or getting the quote slightly wrong, even if the message is the same, is enough to be labeled a liar.
This definition is often conflated with definition 1 - because Ophelia and commenters don't generally bother to check sources, particularly if they fear the facts might not line up in their favor.

3. "A person who has said something that they know is wrong"
This definition requires absolute knowledge that the statement is incorrect and the intent to deceive others.
Ophelia uses this definition whenever anyone accuses HER of telling an untruth.
How can you call her a liar unless you know that she knew what she saw saying was untrue - and since you cannot possibly KNOW what she believed at that time you have no basis for assuming she was lying rather than simply being incorrect.

This intellectual hopscotch - jumping between the different definitions in order to further your own progress in a debate - is, perhaps, one of the defining techniques of SJW rhetoric.

Feminism is the notion that women are people.
Feminism is the advocacy for the rights of women.
Feminism is the organized opposition to the patriarchal dominated rape culture in which we find ourselves.

Choose whatever definition suits the moment and discard it at a moments notice for the next definition if that one works better in the argument. And then switch back again when required. The fact that the definitions may be incompatible with each other is beside the point. It takes too long for your opponent to explain that and if they try you just accuse them of trying to derail the argument.
It is pretty much the exact equivalent of what you find in religious debate - the switch between literal and metaphorical meanings of sacred texts. These are incompatible and yet it is standard practice for apologists to do the same kind of intellectual hopscotch - hence you end up with internally contradictory positions like the Catholic churches teachings on Adam and Eve (the story is a metaphor but they really did exist!)

This kind of rhetorical sleight of hand is so common it must have a name - some generic fallacy, but I don't know what it's called.
Excellent summary of the situation, Stawkins. Guest comment on compartmentalisation has something to it, too. It is perhaps more complicated when you add the community.

ARRG! Wall of Text Again!!! Putting it together.

I assume most individuals have fairly consistent definitions, but they can’t synchronize them with each other, because of tribalism and extreme social costs when being “wrong”. Being wrong is not depenent of some external information, but on a belief system that is only partially informed by academia or science. The body of knowledge is communal, and passed on by first lurking and reading religiously what the members believe before joining their club.

The social dynamics are such a way that each opportunity to attack an outsider is used to go against the outsider, and not to discuss some interesting topic. Thereby, when given the choice, the tribe rather uses the attention span and the moment to go against the outsider, rather than discussing inconsistencies between their positions. The social costs of becoming a pariah (at least) facilitate this behavior. You win points by going against the outsider, but you risk points by questioning a tribe fellow. This happens from time time, they have some contrarians as well, but they are typically unseen in the heated topics and they are protected by being long enough in the tribe. They are also important to maintain a fiction of diversity.

The outsider, however, is confronted with all kinds of mutually exclusive positions and – interestingly – when trying to answer them, will appear confused to the tribe, which can (and will) take advantage of it. You can observe it in dogpiles. Clearing up definitions is made impossible, because it would always violate the view of some segment, who then jumps to attack. Another byproduct is a kind of Gish gallop, wherein the person under attack can’t possibly defend themselves against everything levelled against them, while advancing their own points (and if they did, it’s “you’re making it all about yourself” – ban). This is closing loopholes in their tribalist defense.

You can also see how this confusion is used to create phantom-positions the target doesn’t hold, by the very same trick. Some person attacks the foil with X, the foil answers X. Then the other tribe members will see X coming from their foil, and twist it a little further until the phantom-position is created, which then enters their fiction as true (and will be revised everytime the person shows up and the feud is perpetuated). In much the same way, the tribe people don’t “see” the positions of their peers, because of focus on the foil, they also don’t see (or downplay) inconsistent views or definitions.

But won’t they notice inconsistencies over time, if not in the heat of battle?

Indeed, they do. Over time, they smooth out the inconsistencies when they see how some word was used, which again feeds into the communnal body of knowledge. You learn by seeing how some argument was received by the tribe. This is how rationalisation schemes develop that can be readily applied in every given situation onwards. The latest one perhaps is the idea that being “against” something wasn’t good enough, in best American tradition that pitted in all seriousness a “Pro Choice vs Pro Life” movements against each other.

Finally, the community could have a number of such tools that are accepted, but which are inconsistent with each other. You have to see this not as personal beliefs, but more like “this argument worked and was accepted and somehow rings true” and thus can be applied. It allows them to simulatenously maintain that when we post over there, we wanted to recruit people, while also believing we hate them all the time (it’s just a minor example from Benson’s current blog).

The origins of this behavior is the battle with creationists, where evolution provided a solid ground to base views in. Here you could still point out inconsistencies, because they were grounded in fact. But as they gradually switched to humanities, such a ground doesn’t exist in the same way. Together with driven up social costs of being “wrong”, they fabricated a reality where their opponents hold indefensible views (similar to creationism).
Put differently, there is a bias against complexity and nuance, in favour of clear cut “we vs enemy” that is maintained. It is also the reason why their positions are pretty much always about “101” and hardly go deeper (because more complicated things blur tribalism, and risk that the person challenges view of another tribe member). This happens only undisturbed and protected (such as on other blogs, or imported whole).

This fiction is perpetuated by Myers, Benson, Zvan and Co and heavily protected by their blog moderation, their demonization of free flowing social media and demonization of memes (satire) as they threaten this fiction (here, Sheldon Solomon comes in handy). That’s where the block bot and so forth come in. And that’s also where you attach their “harassment narratives”. The “playing victim” is a by-product, when there is a victim, there is a perpetrator. Where we come back to their “we vs them” fiction required to keep it running. It is an Ersatz-Theory-Of-Evolution in a way.

Last words, PZ Myers created this, as he emphasized the “we vs them” mentality and kept whipping up his horde. He indirectly controlled the socal dynamics and by his tribalist moderation, he set the tone. And he most likely enters history as a footnote on some research in (cognitive) psychology/science or sociology. Online communities are fairly new, they’ll be a hot topic and what could be more intersting than a community that claims to be rational (with all of this embedded in other social developments of our time, including atheism).

One day, I’ll write some e-mails myself to people who could be interested, or their students. Perhaps all of you consider that too. Let’s give PZ Myers the spot in science he deserves. But if Myers or his sycophants read here, why don’t you turn it around?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Did I kill the Slymepit? More on Prof. Robert Sapolsky. The Biological Underpinnings of Religion, in particular focussed on Shizophrenia and Schizotypal personality disorders and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

[youtube]4WwAQqWUkpI[/youtube]

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

bhoytony wrote:
Gefan wrote:
as much as I admire the wit of Southern, Cunt of Personality, Bhoytoy; in the end they're going to overload us all with "The Crazy".
Bhoytoy? Fucking Bhoytoy?
I was thoroughly beckied?
I'm dyslexic?
My edit button's not working?
Okay, I just fucked up.
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Tribble wrote: Anyway, I don't see any 'shades of gray' concerns. He's a child-rapist. He was not coerced in raping those three girls no exculpation.
Assuming he has not made up the whole thing then yes.
Yeah, that's the $64,000 question isn't it? Having witnessed the repressed memory crap that destroyed individuals, families, and even communities during the 1980s/1990s only to find out it was, in every case, a load of tosh and all those people suffered for nothing, I'm super highly skeptical of anyone who 'suddenly' remembers being a horrible person after decades of 'repression.'

Especially with stories like the one Oggie drops.

But if he chooses to brand himself as a child-rapist, I'm more than happy to treat him with utter contempt an unrepentant* child rapist deserves. And if he wants to recant, I'll be happy to acknowledge that, with a side-dish of 'yes, I figured you for the fucking liar you obviously were' to go along with the main course of crow.

* Whining for sympathy at FTB isn't repentance. Making amends and suffering the consequences is repentance. Until then it's a joke.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Service Dog wrote:Reading the ogvorbis blogspot blog-- and his prior wordpress blog-- is chilling.

One of his frequent themes is Hey Christians! I'm an atheist, but look how respectable and normal I am! No need to fear that I'm secretly the devil's pawn.

Not a strong argument, from someone who is self-described rape and murder "monster".

There's a post about a ogvorbis interfering between "a beautiful wife" and "some poor sod" who didn't want to change his 3 children's diapers. Shit ogvorbis, maybe the dude was raped in the cub scouts and can't wipe 3 kids asses without raping them! I mean, I'd have considered the idea that males can't be trusted with childcare to be sexist, but I'm not a child raper... so...

Ogvorbis jokingly offers to create a "how I lost my virginity flowchart". PLEASE DON'T. (Also, ogvorbis adding the punchline "alcohol" isn't kosher with his rape-culture klatch.)

There's finger-pointing post against Christians who "inappropriately sexualize" children (with a father-daughter abstinence dance). Et tu, ogvorbis?

There's also the mandatory liberal atheist fuming about how-- Christian preachers who fume against homosexuality-- are invariably caught in homosexual scandals. Ok... but does the corrolary then follow... that atheists who fume against Christian and Boy Scout child molestation-- are invariably murder-monster child rapers?!

Either Ogvorbis is a veteran rapist disguised as a mild mannered Joe Normal teddy bear--
or Ogvorbis is a liar, pretending to be an honest normal person and also pretending to be teenage mass-rapist of children.

On his earlier blog there is a story of a driving vacation. When he crested the mountains into North Dakota:

"the brilliant blue sky gave way to dark clouds."

Coincidence? I think not.

katamari Damassi

:dance:
John Greg wrote:FYI, on a post at skepticblog about Chopra (by Novella), I left this, just for fun (http://www.skepticblog.org/2013/11/04/c ... ment-91204):
Novella said:

“In my opinion, the big picture here is that Chopra is desperately trying to avoid actually engaging with science and skepticism…. building a cardboard villain to rail against…. exposing his intellectual shallowness.”

Ah, yes, the vaunted Myers Method. I’ve heard about that. It’s taught at better universities in Morris Minnesota.

On a more serious note, I am not sure who does more damage to the potential credibility/usefulness of American athiesm and skepticism, people like Chopra, or people like PZ Myers.

I suspect it is people like Myers, because whereas someone like Chopra is standing outside the tent pissing in, someone like Myers is standing inside the tent … pissing in.
:clap: :dance: :lol:

New found respect for Steve.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh he also keeps rats ........

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Choose whatever definition suits the moment and discard it at a moments notice for the next definition if that one works better in the argument. And then switch back again when required. The fact that the definitions may be incompatible with each other is beside the point. It takes too long for your opponent to explain that and if they try you just accuse them of trying to derail the argument.
It is pretty much the exact equivalent of what you find in religious debate - the switch between literal and metaphorical meanings of sacred texts. These are incompatible and yet it is standard practice for apologists to do the same kind of intellectual hopscotch - hence you end up with internally contradictory positions like the Catholic churches teachings on Adam and Eve (the story is a metaphor but they really did exist!)

This kind of rhetorical sleight of hand is so common it must have a name - some generic fallacy, but I don't know what it's called.
I'm not sure if there's already a name for it, but if I could choose one, I'd call it 'applied doublethink', given that Orwell had this sort of self-contradictory shit pegged donkey's years ago.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Wow -- not only did Ophelia Benson post my comment, she talked back to me! I also got doubl plus unluv from the commentariat. We'll see if my reply to their replies gets posted.

Meanwhile, over at skepticblog, it's been a week and Donald Prothero still hasn't approved my comment 1) questioning his posting of partisan political content on a skeptic blog; 2) taking a skeptical approach to his political assertions regarding obamacare. Maybe Prothero's moderation is governed by punctuated equilibrium!

Southern

Post by Southern »

James Caruthers wrote:
welch wrote:
Honestly?

[youtube]ybJjnnXtajQ[/youtube]
There's a bunch of these. A forum for huge nerds and whatta shock, they all have "monster" stories to tell.
Jesus. I remember reading TV Tropes a lot in the past, but I never went to their forums (I never realized they had a forum). It seems that I lost the good stuff.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

http://skepchick.org/2013/11/the-top-te ... honeygate/

Not two paragraphs in and already there's a mention of EG. Who is it that can't let this go again? I forget.

Also, her awareness of the cognitive dissonance from this line right here:

[quote="Rebecca "Drama Queen Bee" Watson"]For a start, there’s his dismissal of atheist women’s right to feel safe and respected in our community [referring to EG], and his tacit approval of the ongoing slurs and hatred we get from our fellow atheists [referring to her own Page O' Hate] for speaking up about women’s rights. By dismissing (and passively contributing to) our concerns over our personal safety while claiming victimhood at the hands of terrorists for having his honey taken away ...[/quote]

and this line:
The other bit of context that makes his Tweet absurd is the fact that in the recent past, Dawkins has actively contributed to the far-right’s anti-Muslim hatred that leads to people of color being “profiled” and harassed at airports around the world. To be fair, he’s never gone as far as the shockingly irrational Sam Harris, who repeatedly argues for the profiling of anyone who looks sort of Muslim. But like Sam Harris, who recently co-opted young Muslim hero Malala Yousafzai, Dawkins isn’t afraid to use Muslim women as props (see “Dear Muslima“) to support his own causes while spitting out poorly thought-out anti-Muslim arguments ...
... seems severely lacking, especially considering she just quoted a parody of the dreaded "Dear Muslima" argument (this time "Dear Muslimo") pertaining to Dawkins honey problem. Now, I'm wondering: *are* we supposed to treat trivial issues with as much consideration as the more serious ones, or aren't we? Because it's really unclear what tone Watson is gunning for.

In the second paragraph, she refers to Dawkins' comments during the EG saga as a "dismissal of atheist's women's right to feel safe and respected in our community" - this for making a mountain out of a molehill for getting propositioned by a guy in an elevator.

But when Dawkins complains that airport security has become way too unwieldy (which admittedly is a bit late on the uptake) referring to a jar of honey being confiscated, that apparently is rife for mockery and parody by using the same argument that Watson calls a "dismissal." And the first commenter posting called this kicking Dawkins' ass? Yeah, ok. I suppose that means that Dawkins' argument two years ago is now okay in her eyes? Or is it okay but also simultaneously not okay? It's all very confusing.

By the way, excepting Doubting Tom's response and Watson's apparent inability to notice irony, Amber Eeeeeee and Heina Dadabhoy's responses are also very curious indeed. So, because Dawkins complains about a jar of honey being confiscated and rightly aims his criticism to those in charge of airport security and how seriously beyond parody it's become all in the name of "safety", it's not a concern because (presumed by Amber Eeeee) it's his first time being hassled boarding a plane (which is apparently a mark of white male privilege) and undeserving of sympathy because he (claimed by Heina) hasn't been viewed with suspicion since he was a tiny child?

First of all, is this a contest? Are we competing against eachother on who's got dealt the worst card? Second of all, even if Dawkins has never once before encountered a problem with the TSA, isn't it still a problem? Why the fuck does it matter how many years you've been "viewed with suspicion" or whatever? Aren't excessive patdowns, strip searches and screenings a problem regardless of who is the recipient? Personally I consider the evolution of airport security a much bigger problem than getting propositioned in an elevator at an ungodly hour in a foreign country, but that's just my opinion. Moreover, if excessive patdowns, strip searches, screenings, and major things like profiling, shouldn't go unnoticed (and unpunished), then shouldn't the minor things like confiscating jars of honey (because they're considered a security "threat") also be a point of contention?

Am I wrong?

[youtube]Vdoo43sp3ZY[/youtube]

Southern

Post by Southern »

Keating wrote:
welch wrote:As soon as I hear that fucking trope, the level of proof I then require to believe anything the person says goes straight up, because it's the same fucking story. The "i seem meek, but if you fuck with me, THE BEAST SHALL BE RELEASED"
I have a story like this. The larger, bigger bully who liked harrassing me went to far one day, and I. Just. Snapped. The BEAST was unleashed and I grabbed his head. He promptly broke my nose and walked away laughing.

Fear me.
I once murdered a guy that was twice my size just because he looked me the wrong way. I swear that I tried to be calm and rational, but then he provoked me, so I transformed into a Super Sayan and had no choice but to disembowel him with my bare hands.

As Pat Robertson would say, true shtory.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

In other news, DJ Grothe has kicked up another little shitstorm over this comment:
No hyperbole: I just saw the worst-passing transsexual I've ever seen in the lounge here. It was so disruptive that I am forced to believe it was an intentional way to protest against rigid gender binaries. Or so I'd like to think.
Natalie Reed has already unleashed a bombardment of tweets at him for it, and his FB comments section is a thing of popcorn-worthy joy: https://www.facebook.com/djgrothe/posts ... 1454425856

No guesses for what FTBs next chorus of outrage is gonna be about...

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tigzy wrote:In other news, DJ Grothe has kicked up another little shitstorm over this comment:
No hyperbole: I just saw the worst-passing transsexual I've ever seen in the lounge here. It was so disruptive that I am forced to believe it was an intentional way to protest against rigid gender binaries. Or so I'd like to think.
Natalie Reed has already unleashed a bombardment of tweets at him for it, and his FB comments section is a thing of popcorn-worthy joy: https://www.facebook.com/djgrothe/posts ... 1454425856

#trannygate.

Post by Guest »

From Szan's latest on the Shermer groping thing, quoting Barb Drescher:
Barbara A. Drescher wrote:who witnessed it, when it happened, and who organized the next TAM. HINT: it wasn’t D.J.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -incident/

Answer: Phil Plait

The story I heard occurred at Dragon*Con 2008, years before Grothe was even connected with TAM. Apparently Grothe and Plait and the unnamed woman and a very intoxicated Shermer where at a party when Shermer started coming on to her. Grothe was the one who intervened and told drunk Shermer to go home. Meanwhile, Plait organized the next TAM and invited Shermer as a speaker.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tigzy wrote:In other news, DJ Grothe has kicked up another little shitstorm over this comment:

Shit, Peez has already blogged about it! Damn, anyone would think he was already on the lookout to pounce on Grothe for something...

In the meantime, Paul Loebe is on that FB thread dropping Helen Keller jokes. :-D

BTW, Helen Keller returned the cheesegrater to the store. Apparently, it was the most violent book she'd ever read.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

My fav: "We should all be fighting the gender binary. It oppresses all of us."

FTS. I got me some great 'gender binary' this weekend!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

The gender binary:

1 - the male (cos it looks sort of like a dick)
0 - the female (like a dilated vagina)

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the SJW campaign to make 256 more female inclusive...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

So, are quantum computers trans?

welch

Post by welch »

Keating wrote:

Fear me.
Yeah. Here in the real world, i tried to kick a bully's ass. Dude pounded the shit out of me. Then again, he was 6'6", I was a foot shorter. He was a defensive lineman on the football team, I could, on a good day, run a hundred yards without a rest.

(by "pounded the shit out of me" i mean, allowing for memories being inaccurate, he punched me maybe 5 times, and left me bleeding and trying not to cry too much.)

katamari Damassi

Brive1987 wrote:Oh he also keeps rats ........
My college girlfriend kept rats.

And that's what turned me gay.

Just kidding. I didn't have a problem with the rats, except I don't think you should keep an animal as a pet if it isn't with you willingly. Plus they live what? 2 or 3 years?

katamari Damassi

welch wrote:
Keating wrote:

Fear me.
Yeah. Here in the real world, i tried to kick a bully's ass. Dude pounded the shit out of me. Then again, he was 6'6", I was a foot shorter. He was a defensive lineman on the football team, I could, on a good day, run a hundred yards without a rest.

(by "pounded the shit out of me" i mean, allowing for memories being inaccurate, he punched me maybe 5 times, and left me bleeding and trying not to cry too much.)
And you just remembered this now.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

[youtube]tbud8rLejLM[/youtube]

katamari Damassi

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:My fav: "We should all be fighting the gender binary. It oppresses all of us."

FTS. I got me some great 'gender binary' this weekend!
Yeah I like my dudes to be dudes. Although there was a gay transman porn star I thought was kind of hot, until he spoke and sounded like one of my mom's old bowling buddies. He really needs to work on the voice.

welch

Post by welch »

Brive1987 wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Reading the ogvorbis blogspot blog-- and his prior wordpress blog-- is chilling.

On his earlier blog there is a story of a driving vacation. When he crested the mountains into North Dakota:

"the brilliant blue sky gave way to dark clouds."

Coincidence? I think not.
Wait. Where, exactly, the fuck did he "crest mountains" into NORTH FUCKING DAKOTA?

That state is flat as fuck, and so are the surrounding areas. the saskatechewan/Manitoba borders with the state aren't fucking mountains. Nor is eastern montana.

Just where did he find mountain ranges on the ND. border?

katamari Damassi

Pitchguest wrote:

[youtube]tbud8rLejLM[/youtube]
Really unwise on DJ's part. Christ, don't they learn? Or was he feeling bored and thought it would be fun to paint a metaphorical target on himself and hand the SJW's ammo?
Also the "trans" might just been a crossdresser or transvestite.

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:
welch wrote:
Keating wrote:

Fear me.

And you just remembered this now.
IT WAS REPRESSED DUE TO PTSD AND HEIGHT PRIVILEGE!!!!!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

welch wrote:Wait. Where, exactly, the fuck did he "crest mountains" into NORTH FUCKING DAKOTA?

That state is flat as fuck, and so are the surrounding areas. the saskatechewan/Manitoba borders with the state aren't fucking mountains. Nor is eastern montana.

iirc, there's a slight rise in Morehead, just before the bridge.

James Caruthers

Service Dog wrote:

Indeed, it reminds me of the whole conference harassment claim.

Either atheist conferences are full of patriarchal men sexually harassing women
or they're not, and certain SJW feminists are going around accusing any man who does anything sexual of being a rapist.

I don't see much room for a third option, given the number of so-called rape or sexual harassment stories that have appeared in the last year or two. Both answers lead to the same conclusion: that men should avoid women at atheist conferences. If the women are lying pretend victim feminists looking for a victim narrative, being anywhere alone with one of them is a possible death sentence for your atheist career. Who knows if elevatorguy even exists? But if he does, I bet he regrets politely asking RW to his room for some sexcoffee. If there really is a bunch of rape at atheist cons, men should avoid the women anyway, because every woman will be hyper-alert for a possible rape attempt.

If Ogvorbis is a rapist, people should avoid him and not give him any respect or kudos for coming forward with his tale of unforced (but possibly influenced by his earlier abuse) rape.

If Ogvorbis is a liar, people should avoid him and not give him any respect or kudos, because who the fuck makes up a story about raping children for the attention?!? :shock:

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
welch wrote:Wait. Where, exactly, the fuck did he "crest mountains" into NORTH FUCKING DAKOTA?

iirc, there's a slight rise in Morehead, just before the bridge.
i remember. It was all weird because you're like "WHY AM I TIPP...oh wait, the ground does that in other places. WHY AM I GOING BACK TO THIS FUCKING HELLHOLE"