Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by DGS »

This is good. It's been a slow night

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

DGS wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:who is posting as thaumas over on nugent's blog?
pm me if discretion is the purpose...i was very interested in your personal history and would love to ask a few questions related to that if that's cool? Number one being 'do I know you?'
His name contained a hyperlink to his facebook page.
I am reading this backwards. Is there a function that lets you know about direct replys (sic) which are seperate to subscribing to a topic. I love this place, I have the time to browse sometimes, I just don't have the time to search every post in case a direct question was asked. I know it's me. Someone PM me and tell me how to do it for pity's sake!
Is it this option?
http://i.imgur.com/tKp6AOO.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
DGS wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:
pm me if discretion is the purpose...i was very interested in your personal history and would love to ask a few questions related to that if that's cool? Number one being 'do I know you?'
I am reading this backwards. Is there a function that lets you know about direct replys (sic) which are seperate to subscribing to a topic. I love this place, I have the time to browse sometimes, I just don't have the time to search every post in case a direct question was asked. I know it's me. Someone PM me and tell me how to do it for pity's sake!
Is it this option?
http://i.imgur.com/tKp6AOO.jpg
The lower one, change it to 'YES'.

I don't know if this will work!

tina

Post by tina »

Christ...Doubtthat has neurons shorter than a planck length. That isn't possible, is it?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Wonderist wrote:
Southern wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
(...)

(One minor suggestion: I read Vacula's response blog, and it had some examples from Ophelia as well as kajillions from Pharyngula. Everyone knows Pharyngula's a nasty place, and they've grown to accept that as a kind of 'necessary evil', I think. It create a much bigger impact, IMO, to have more examples of foul language (including not just foul words, but foul meanings) from Benson's blog, as a more direct response to her demands for language purity. Just MHO.)

(...)
Sorry, but I don't agree with this suggestion. "Guilt by association" is one of the points that the baboons try to push. By all means people should smack they with their own weapons. Of course, quoting the Prunella herself is better to expose her hypocrisy is better, I can agree with that.
I think you misread my suggestion. I was in no way endorsing guilt by association, neither of JV with the SPs, nor OB with PZ, nor vice versa in either case.
Neither am I. But it would be a shame NOT to point out that, if we apply their standards to themselves, they would be charged by guilt by association. The hypocrisy is the real problem.

Southern

Post by Southern »

LadyChillax wrote:And Ophelia Benson is now the Sarah Palin of the atheist movement.
OUCH, that was such a low blow.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Southern wrote:
LadyChillax wrote:And Ophelia Benson is now the Sarah Palin of the atheist movement.
Yeah, Palin is probably seriously fucking offended right now!

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

Southern wrote:
For Palin....

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Submariner wrote:
decius wrote:
Submariner wrote: If you're talking about Scented Nectar, she's my elder.
That's impossible, no one can live that long.
Now you sound like my kids. To hear them tell it, I rode dinosaurs to school as a child.

(it was really mammoths)
Oh God... Submariner is everyone's dad.
You got to ride mammoths? We had to walk! Through snow! Up to our chins! Uphill! Both ways!
That's how you do it if you're everyone's dad.

karlaporter

Re: Ophelia Benson's Omission

Post by karlaporter »

justinvacula wrote:Ophelia yet again complaining about being called 'Ophie' following Karla Porter's satire piece ...

Now Ophelia takes it to her blog and has quite the glaring omission...that Karla changed Ophie to OB and did not mean to offend!

http://i.imgur.com/4zvTKld.jpg
in this comment on Karla's post, 15 hours ago, you can see that Karla -- responding to Dixie -- jokes about the diminutive usage after she changes it as noted atop her blog
http://personal.karlaporter.com/post/44 ... y-agent-ob
http://i.imgur.com/SJfEteV.jpg

See, yesterday (note the tweet timestamp) Karla changed Ophie to OB in the satire piece INCLUDING OPHELIA IN THE TWEET
http://i.imgur.com/smYxba3.jpg

...and now Ophelia authors a blog post complaining as usual - she implies Karla is harassing her (and outright stated it recently) and implies that Karla was being dishonest about her use of 'Ophie' even though Karla changed 'Ophie' to OB yesterday AND said that she didn't mean to offend.
http://i.imgur.com/QUi0Svy.jpg

Go home, pineapple.
I don't know if my comment to Ophelia's post will make it through moderation so I'm posting it here. The hostility in her post and comments from her readers was disturbing. It's like we took an anger assessment and came out on opposite ends of the spectrum.

"Perhaps you did not notice that last night because you were upset about the use of Ophie I changed the post to say Ophelia in all instances and changed my own name to Karlie as you yourself suggested. I had refrained from OB since I felt you might think I was referring to the feminine hygiene product. I myself took plenty of ribbing in the military with the initials KP but I never took it in a mean way, just in good fun. I have read your post here as well as all the comments on it and it saddens me to know there is so much bitterness. I hope you are able to get over it. I'm serious, not joking. I suppose this comment will bring on an onslaught of microscopic examinations from you and your readers of each word and its hidden meaning or agenda. There is none."

Southern

Post by Southern »

Apples wrote:Comradde PhysioMoron continues to make friends and influence people over at FTB. His latest post:
PhysioPricke wrote:
Bloggeing Etiquette
Using footnotes in a long blogge post and thereby forcing the reader to scroll all the way up and down the motherfucken page is an asshole move. Don’t do itte.
In the comments:

Crommunist: "I guess the answer is to make your footnotes into their own posts"

Trebuchet: "What does blogging etiquette say about writing a supposed blog with as little content as this one?"

http://freethoughtblogs.com/physioprof/ ... etiquette/
http://www.freezepage.com/1362506639KWXCRSVNGN
Writing "blogge" and "itte" is an asshole move, Proffe. You cunt.

DeepInsideYourMind

karlaporter wrote: I don't know if my comment to Ophelia's post will make it through moderation so I'm posting it here. The hostility in her post and comments from her readers was disturbing. It's like we took an anger assessment and came out on opposite ends of the spectrum.

"Perhaps you did not notice that last night because you were upset about the use of Ophie I changed the post to say Ophelia in all instances and changed my own name to Karlie as you yourself suggested. I had refrained from OB since I felt you might think I was referring to the feminine hygiene product. I myself took plenty of ribbing in the military with the initials KP but I never took it in a mean way, just in good fun. I have read your post here as well as all the comments on it and it saddens me to know there is so much bitterness. I hope you are able to get over it. I'm serious, not joking. I suppose this comment will bring on an onslaught of microscopic examinations from you and your readers of each word and its hidden meaning or agenda. There is none."
When you have been branded as Satan incarnate, nothing you say or do will ever redeem you.

Until you fall into line with them, you are really wasting your time trying to accomodate or find middle ground

welch

Post by welch »

karlaporter wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Ophelia yet again complaining about being called 'Ophie' following Karla Porter's satire piece ...

Now Ophelia takes it to her blog and has quite the glaring omission...that Karla changed Ophie to OB and did not mean to offend!

http://i.imgur.com/4zvTKld.jpg
in this comment on Karla's post, 15 hours ago, you can see that Karla -- responding to Dixie -- jokes about the diminutive usage after she changes it as noted atop her blog
http://personal.karlaporter.com/post/44 ... y-agent-ob
http://i.imgur.com/SJfEteV.jpg

See, yesterday (note the tweet timestamp) Karla changed Ophie to OB in the satire piece INCLUDING OPHELIA IN THE TWEET
http://i.imgur.com/smYxba3.jpg

...and now Ophelia authors a blog post complaining as usual - she implies Karla is harassing her (and outright stated it recently) and implies that Karla was being dishonest about her use of 'Ophie' even though Karla changed 'Ophie' to OB yesterday AND said that she didn't mean to offend.
http://i.imgur.com/QUi0Svy.jpg

Go home, pineapple.
I don't know if my comment to Ophelia's post will make it through moderation so I'm posting it here. The hostility in her post and comments from her readers was disturbing. It's like we took an anger assessment and came out on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Dat woman is 'bout tree freakouts from sittin' in da corner makin' motorboat noises full time.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

tina wrote:Christ...Doubtthat has neurons shorter than a planck length.
Noticed that too, huh?

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

IMO the conversation over at Michael Nugent's blog are getting all caught up in bad words. Where's the talk of how FTB and Pharyngula routinely drove their fellow atheists and skeptics away by calling them misogynists for daring to not buy into gender feminism dogma? Don't fall into the trap.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote: Dat woman is 'bout tree freakouts from sittin' in da corner makin' motorboat noises full time.
She's an outrage addict, plain and simple.

Spence

Post by Spence »

Dick Strawkins wrote:He is the Slymepit member called 'Wonderist'.

I think!
Oops - I suppose I should have figured that from the facebook link. And this one:

http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 1052#p1052

*self-facepalm*

DeepInsideYourMind

Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote: Dat woman is 'bout tree freakouts from sittin' in da corner makin' motorboat noises full time.
She's an outrage addict, plain and simple.
She will probably give herself a heart attack, oh what a loss to the world she would be!

LMU

Post by LMU »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
karlaporter wrote: I don't know if my comment to Ophelia's post will make it through moderation so I'm posting it here. The hostility in her post and comments from her readers was disturbing. It's like we took an anger assessment and came out on opposite ends of the spectrum.

When you have been branded as Satan incarnate, nothing you say or do will ever redeem you.

Until you fall into line with them, you are really wasting your time trying to accomodate or find middle ground
I think even if you fall in line with them, it would be a while before they forgave or forgot. That being said, I think the gesture is worthwhile if you have the patience and generosity to make it. If they reject sincere attempts to discuss things civilly, it can only reflect badly on them. That's why I'm here after all, civility was tried first and they abused and banned the civil dissenters because they could get away with it.

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

Southern wrote: Writing "blogge" and "itte" is an asshole move, Proffe. You cunt.
I'm reporting this Michael Nugent but with "Proffe" changed to "[named person]" for their protection.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Apartment J The Podcast: Episode 51 – Trembling Villains
Posted on March 5, 2013
Brian Allen, and Reap Paden are joined by Justin Vacula

Topics:

Welfare Blogging
Internet Stalking
Brave Hero Podcast
Consensual Sex
So Much Atheism
Rape Jokes that Work
http://thepodcast.apartmentj.com/?p=345

Enjoy and, as always, thanks for having me on Reap and Brian!

Southern

Post by Southern »

birdterrifier wrote:
Southern wrote: Writing "blogge" and "itte" is an asshole move, Proffe. You cunt.
I'm reporting this Michael Nugent but with "Proffe" changed to "[named person]" for their protection.
Report itte!

Spence

Post by Spence »

birdterrifier wrote:
Do you think Nugent could make it a searchable index? There were some awesome put-downs in that list.

DGS

Post by DGS »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Guest wrote:Half as interested in science as we are in cunts?

Must be men.
Yep, we have only men here. There are even a large number of us who are WOmen type of men. We're so bigoted here! :D
Aw, c'mon! I thought that was satire. :doh:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

LMU wrote:

I think even if you fall in line with them, it would be a while before they forgave or forgot. That being said, I think the gesture is worthwhile if you have the patience and generosity to make it. If they reject sincere attempts to discuss things civilly, it can only reflect badly on them. That's why I'm here after all, civility was tried first and they abused and banned the civil dissenters because they could get away with it.
Aneris had a great post about that. Abusing and banning civil dissenters is by design. It's a feature, not a bug.

lonesagi

Post by lonesagi »

Wonderist, here's a freezepage for your latest argument over at Nugent's. In case anything might get memory holed.

http://www.freezepage.com/1362518467FLKGOZKWHW

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

http://i.imgur.com/CHUOte3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4yQHxRM.jpg

Again, Ophelia thinks she knows what others are thinking and is right while others are wrong.

Interesting...that. So much for LISTEN TO THE WOMEN, checking privileges, and the link.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

debaser71 wrote:IMO the conversation over at Michael Nugent's blog are getting all caught up in bad words. Where's the talk of how FTB and Pharyngula routinely drove their fellow atheists and skeptics away by calling them misogynists for daring to not buy into gender feminism dogma? Don't fall into the trap.
I also saw many instances of the "kafkatrap". Thanks to Jack for his link to an excellent description thereof.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I need advice from some computer savvy people. A couple of months ago my Mac's HD died on me. Luckily I had a backed up fairly recently. The guy at the genius bar told me not to spend more than $100 fixing it because it was kind of old. So for a couple of months I've been using a borrowed computer. I finally got around to buying some cheaper parts-Toshiba HD, off market battery-and installed it per an instructional video on Youtube. It wasn't that involved. The first problem is I did not make my back up bootable, though I do have the original OS X install CD's. The second problem is when I put the install CD into the drive, the computer asks me where I want to install the OS and no HD shows up. Anyone know what I did wrong and how to fix it?

DeepInsideYourMind

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/CHUOte3.jpg

Again, Ophelia thinks she knows what others are thinking and is right while others are wrong.

Interesting...that. So much for LISTEN TO THE WOMEN, checking privileges, and the link.
Oh, surprise, surprise !!!!!!

windy

Post by windy »

LMU wrote: I think even if you fall in line with them, it would be a while before they forgave or forgot. That being said, I think the gesture is worthwhile if you have the patience and generosity to make it. If they reject sincere attempts to discuss things civilly, it can only reflect badly on them. That's why I'm here after all, civility was tried first and they abused and banned the civil dissenters because they could get away with it.
It's like that saying about martial arts styles...
"Soft beats hard, hard-soft beats soft, hard beats hard-soft"

:D
birdterrifier wrote:I'm reporting this Michael Nugent but with "Proffe" changed to "[named person]" for their protection.
Oh, don't be such a [named person].

nippletwister

Re: Erik the Reddit Made Me Do It

Post by nippletwister »

Michael K Gray wrote:
My definition of rape culture is that rape, just like violence, is downplayed in our popular media and personal interactions for it's severity and potential to destroy.
Wow!
What a very specific "definition" of "Rape Culture"!
And globally generalised, too. (Spit)

I tell thee what, if King Cuntute had claimed US prisons as an exemplar of "Rape Culture", I would have agreed with him.
But, his vapidly shallow "definition" relies solely on the supposed notion of rape being "downplayed" in popular US TV shows, and HIS SPECIFIC personal anecdotes, without any evidence what-so-fucking-ever, not a shred, leads me to conclude that Erik is another insular Yank Cunt, who has no idea the the world is not comprised of the states of the USA.
It is no wonder to me that he is feeling grossly out-gunned in the rhetorical-stakes.

The guy is an absolute joke, but doesn't realise it, being the insular uneducated cunt that he is.
Prolly never will, until he realises that there is vastly more to the universe than the contimental US of A...

Hey Now! Even within this horrible, terrible old backward country you all seem to like to rag on so much, the internet-SJW use of "rape culture" is a fucking joke. Within the prison system, you may have a point, but I think that might well apply to certain segments of most cultures(prisons, monasteries and churches seem to be similar in lots of places in this regard). In the general culture, we are no more rapey than anyone else. The idea that rape is made light of, or not taken seriously in pop culture or the larger culture is absurd. When SJW's claim otherwise, it's because they see rape everywhere, and think we need every other TV commercial to be an anti-rape manifesto to combat their own internal demons.

tina

Post by tina »

Submariner wrote:
debaser71 wrote:IMO the conversation over at Michael Nugent's blog are getting all caught up in bad words. Where's the talk of how FTB and Pharyngula routinely drove their fellow atheists and skeptics away by calling them misogynists for daring to not buy into gender feminism dogma? Don't fall into the trap.
I also saw many instances of the "kafkatrap". Thanks to Jack for his link to an excellent description thereof.
Can you post it again please tincanman :?: thanks.. :popcorn:

katamari Damassi

Until science comes up with a medication for Chronic Aggrievement Syndrome, there really is no use in talking to Ophie.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Nice sig Burzhum! That "supermaroilogan" is a pretty cool guy wink, wink nudge, nudge.
Haha!

That comment, when I originally stumbled across it, was the cause of much merriment in my house. My other half actually went off on one of her "fun rants" about preventative measures when she hits old age. Patchouli and lavender (apparently) will play a big part in our future.

Anyway, wink, wink, nudge, nudge indeed!

:dance:

skepandsprinkles

Post by skepandsprinkles »

LadyChillax wrote:Geesh, I get a life for a few days, and all this happens . . .

I'm just another vagina chiming in. These people really are a collective piece of work. They want to make their narrow politicized version of atheism the dominant form of atheism and squash and silence all legitimate dissent, and are SHOCKED that a whole bunch of people won't shut up and go away. I don't need these insufferable prigs (I hope that is sufficiently gender-neutral!) telling me how to think as a woman. What condescending snots!
"We're pro-woman!"
"Any woman who disagrees with us is happily serving the patriarchy. She should be listening to what WE have to say. Women are delicate and should be handled with kids gloves! TRIGGER WARNING1!1!!!!one!!!1!1"

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

lonesagi

Post by lonesagi »

Suck it Slympepit! You must cater to my 'Merkin sensabilities! Doubtthat said so!
There is, however, no conversation you can have with black strangers or less-than-close acquaintances where you could say “nigger.” The same is true of women and “cunt” in America.

Recognizing that a sizable percentage of the atheist/skeptical community is American, one would imagine you were capable of making a simple language adjustment.
I propose that gray shall no longer be spelled grey anywhere... it offends me deeply as a 'Merkin.

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

Well, there won't be any 'falling in line' - I'm going to take the ignore approach because I'm too busy to be accommodating mean people.

tina

Post by tina »

doubtthat 488

Recognizing that a sizable percentage of the atheist/skeptical community is American, one would imagine you were capable of making a simple language adjustment.
UScentric, much?

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

katamari Damassi wrote:I need advice from some computer savvy people. A couple of months ago my Mac's HD died on me. Luckily I had a backed up fairly recently. The guy at the genius bar told me not to spend more than $100 fixing it because it was kind of old. So for a couple of months I've been using a borrowed computer. I finally got around to buying some cheaper parts-Toshiba HD, off market battery-and installed it per an instructional video on Youtube. It wasn't that involved. The first problem is I did not make my back up bootable, though I do have the original OS X install CD's. The second problem is when I put the install CD into the drive, the computer asks me where I want to install the OS and no HD shows up. Anyone know what I did wrong and how to fix it?
Unless you say cunt, you can't expect people to care about your problems. It's like your post never even happened.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

DGS wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:
I usually do a Ctrl+F for my forum name to find responses to me. I also check for posts after mine, to see if anyone responded without including it.

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

katamari Damassi wrote:

Until science comes up with a medication for Chronic Aggrievement Syndrome, there really is no use in talking to Ophie.
I don't know what to say. I guess I'm just glad we are not related or have to work together. That would be awful.

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:
LMU wrote:

Aneris had a great post about that. Abusing and banning civil dissenters is by design. It's a feature, not a bug.

If you're civil, then you're a cowardly, spineless poltroon who should be shat upon as often as possible. And banned.
If you're not civil, then you're a misogynistic troll who should banned. Then shat upon as often as possible.

See how differently they treat you when you're civil?

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

Spence wrote: Do you think Nugent could make it a searchable index? There were some awesome put-downs in that list.
So sad that he went through all that work (braving the ferocity of Slymepit by taking many therapeutic breaks in between) without providing links for all the admirers.

LMU

Post by LMU »

tina wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Was it this? http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122

katamari Damassi

birdterrifier wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I need advice from some computer savvy people. A couple of months ago my Mac's HD died on me. Luckily I had a backed up fairly recently. The guy at the genius bar told me not to spend more than $100 fixing it because it was kind of old. So for a couple of months I've been using a borrowed computer. I finally got around to buying some cheaper parts-Toshiba HD, off market battery-and installed it per an instructional video on Youtube. It wasn't that involved. The first problem is I did not make my back up bootable, though I do have the original OS X install CD's. The second problem is when I put the install CD into the drive, the computer asks me where I want to install the OS and no HD shows up. Anyone know what I did wrong and how to fix it?
Unless you say cunt, you can't expect people to care about your problems. It's like your post never even happened.
Does anyone know why my computer is being such a cunt?

welch

Post by welch »

Without seeing it, it's hard to say. When you boot off the CDs, if you go into Disk Utility, (available from the menu bar), does Disk Utility see the drive?

If so, you probably just have to partition it to HFS+ instead of NTFS or FAT.

welch

Post by welch »

karlaporter wrote:

Well, there won't be any 'falling in line' - I'm going to take the ignore approach because I'm too busy to be accommodating mean people.
Speaking of which, shouldn't you be making us all sammiches?

birdterrifier

Post by birdterrifier »

katamari Damassi wrote: Unless you say cunt, you can't expect people to care about your problems. It's like your post never even happened.
Does anyone know why my computer is being such a cunt?[/quote]
Dammit! You made my day and now I wish I could help you.

Post by Guest »

16bitheretic wrote:
erikthebassist wrote:going to bed, you can all sit around masturbating to your smug sense of self importance for the rest of the night. 'OMG the guy who hates us started his own blog, attack attack!!!'

heh....

Don't like it, don't fucking read it ass wipes.
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... e82580.jpg

In all seriousness though, if you're annoyed at the criticism of some of your web building skills, why didn't you just do what the rest of us do and make a wordpress or blogger site? The software on my rinky-dink little blog is fairly easy to use and there's quite a few drag and drop easy building options available.
He's on Squarespace, which is actually pretty fabulous, but it does take a lot of tinkering. I recently upgraded to Squarespace v6 and feel like making use of a blog for the first time since I registered it.

tina

Post by tina »

LMU wrote:
tina wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Was it this? http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122
Thanks

LMU

Re: Erik the Reddit Made Me Do It

Post by LMU »

nippletwister wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
My definition of rape culture is that rape, just like violence, is downplayed in our popular media and personal interactions for it's severity and potential to destroy.
Wow!
What a very specific "definition" of "Rape Culture"!
And globally generalised, too. (Spit)

I tell thee what, if King Cuntute had claimed US prisons as an exemplar of "Rape Culture", I would have agreed with him.
But, his vapidly shallow "definition" relies solely on the supposed notion of rape being "downplayed" in popular US TV shows, and HIS SPECIFIC personal anecdotes, without any evidence what-so-fucking-ever, not a shred, leads me to conclude that Erik is another insular Yank Cunt, who has no idea the the world is not comprised of the states of the USA.
It is no wonder to me that he is feeling grossly out-gunned in the rhetorical-stakes.

The guy is an absolute joke, but doesn't realise it, being the insular uneducated cunt that he is.
Prolly never will, until he realises that there is vastly more to the universe than the contimental US of A...

Hey Now! Even within this horrible, terrible old backward country you all seem to like to rag on so much, the internet-SJW use of "rape culture" is a fucking joke. Within the prison system, you may have a point, but I think that might well apply to certain segments of most cultures(prisons, monasteries and churches seem to be similar in lots of places in this regard). In the general culture, we are no more rapey than anyone else. The idea that rape is made light of, or not taken seriously in pop culture or the larger culture is absurd. When SJW's claim otherwise, it's because they see rape everywhere, and think we need every other TV commercial to be an anti-rape manifesto to combat their own internal demons.
I'm curious: how much do we know about prison rape? Is it actually as bad as it is made out to be, or is it hyped up, perhaps as a means to help keep people in line?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Don't know if that works, but still. Thanks Pit!

https://soundcloud.com/phil-giordana-fcd

windy

Post by windy »

Someone linked this article on Twitter

Why Are Women Fleeing From the Skeptic Community?
http://feminspire.com/why-are-women-fle ... community/

(are women fleeing the skeptic community?)

It's the standard complaint but there's this gem in the comments:
Feminspire_islam.png
(19.43 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
way to mansplain and culture-splain what her problems are, dude :doh:

tina

Post by tina »

doubtthat again....Since you are a master of context, are you seriously trying to argue that when someone at FtB says, “die in a fire,” they literally wish that person to be consumed by flames? Surely such a bold chap as yourself understands figurative language.
Now then...anyone got that one where some nice person said a similar thing over at FtB adding 'and I really mean that'?

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

welch wrote:
karlaporter wrote:

Speaking of which, shouldn't you be making us all sammiches?
I only make PB&J but I'm happy to make them for anyone =)

katamari Damassi

welch wrote:
Without seeing it, it's hard to say. When you boot off the CDs, if you go into Disk Utility, (available from the menu bar), does Disk Utility see the drive?

If so, you probably just have to partition it to HFS+ instead of NTFS or FAT.
No it doesn't show up on Disk Utility.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Here is some stupid crap, from Canadian feminists this time.

I am sharing it b/c I just cannot believe how these people refuse to take any responsibility for their own safety.

It's fucking ridiculous.

http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blo ... -cops.html
Toronto police kicked off a weeklong pedestrian safety campaign called “Do The Bright Thing!” on Monday morning at Union station.

Officers will talk to people at the subway station concourse all week, encouraging pedestrians to wear bright-coloured or reflective clothing when possible.
Apparently, this is a BAD THING. Pedestrians should not be taking steps to protect themselves! Asking them to do so is victim blaming!
Because it's just like rape, eh? If you dress like a slut, you're asking to get raped. And if you dress like a normal human being, you're asking to get hit by a car.

Because drivers, like rapists, can't help themselves. Rapists see a slutty looking woman and they just gotta rape. Drivers see a slow, defenceless pedestrian and they just gotta drive into him/her.

How about telling the damn drivers: PAY ATTENTION! THERE ARE SLOW CREATURES OUT THERE WHO MAY GET IN YOUR WAY OCCASIONALLY BUT IT IS STILL NOT OKAY TO MOW THEM DOWN.

There's a little thing called 'reality' here. In the real world, drivers do not always pay proper attention. In the real world, drivers get distracted. In the real world, weather is bad and visibility is poor.

BUT OH NO, PEDESTRIANS SHOULDN'T DO ANYTHING TO LOWER THE RISK OF GETTING HIT BY A CAR, THAT'S VICTIM BLAMING!!1111!!!

Utter.Fucking.Bullshit.

LMU

Post by LMU »

tina wrote:
doubtthat again....Since you are a master of context, are you seriously trying to argue that when someone at FtB says, “die in a fire,” they literally wish that person to be consumed by flames? Surely such a bold chap as yourself understands figurative language.
Now then...anyone got that one where some nice person said a similar thing over at FtB adding 'and I really mean that'?
Tigzy has a screenshot of it here: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 256#p61798

"...Go die in a fire. No, I'm not being hyperbolic. I actually mean I want you to die in a fire."