Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Steersman »

ERV wrote:Hey guys-- Big Boy is officially alive. The mother fucker is absolutely working. Since 2009 I have been working on this, and now its working. Fuck. Yeah. I dont know what to do with myself.
Yea team! Hot damn, and all that.

Is this a “Contact” moment where you run around passing the basic info to other “astronomers” so that everyone can take a stab at recreating the process? :-)

DGS

Post by DGS »

This isn't the type of thing you can just drop into, is it? Like when your just winding down with a beer. You guys are up and at it. Always. Would I annoy people by just occasionally dropping in with inane commenst based only on the last 2 posts?

I'm also a bit offended that no one - NO ONE has told me to fuck off yet.

DGS

Post by DGS »

And where's my avatar gone? Did it breach some copyright?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Time to play catchup...
Dick Strawkins wrote:Hey Metalogic42, I think my wife knows your ex girlfriend.
I didn't realize it at first because she uses a different name for you

- she calls you micrologic42 :D
:rimshot:
Stop harassing me!!!
justin vacula wrote:I don't really care if people on Freethought Blogs write shit about me anymore. Before I publish anything on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, or my blog, I am well-aware that whatever I release will be critiqued, misrepresentated, and just another piece of wood on the raging fire. I accept the consequences each time and, again and again, understand what might happen. I could step out at any time if I didn't want to deal with the inevitable consequences, but I don't want to.
They're aware of that as well; the difference between them and us is the consequences part :P
Dave wrote:I have been close enough to some women that they would ignore my maleness (a difficult thing to do!) and engage in such behavior when I was around. From my impression, it happens often enough, but not necessarily "often". Interestingly, they would also complain about a guy being too big.
Well, "too big" and "too small" can both sometimes be legitimate problems in bed; but simply talking about them doesn't automatically count as ridicule.
rocko2466 wrote:Special Song Episode 2
You, Sir, are a genius (and a misogynist).
ReneeHendricks wrote:I go away for a few days and you guys are talking about penis size? Where the fuck did that come from? :D (refraining from saying size doesn't matter 'cuz you all know that).
It started because you were away...we had no one to talk about sybians with!
jose wrote:There are many examples where this hasn't happened. Michael Behe insulted ERV a few years ago apropos of some virus evolution thing. She wrote a post or two about it. And then that was it. ERV didn't set up a forum dedicated to watch everything Michael Behe writes every day in order to look constantly for any chance to ridicule him. She didn't set up twitter accounts to post stuff as if she were Behe, didn't make videos reading Behe texts with a ridiculing voice, didn't dedicate every single blog post for seven months to Behe. Why not?

ERV made fun of Casey Luskin's elf ears. She gave him the finger at some event they went to some years ago. Case Luskin wrote something about how ERV was mean. And then that was it. Nothing similar to this happened. ERV called some creationist guy a fucking moron for talking out of her ass on retroviruses. But then she moved on to other things. She didn't do anything similar to what you guys do here. Luskin didn't either. Why not?
Well, I'm assuming this is already mentioned later on, but are you not aware of who started the original periodic table of swearing thread, which lead to the creation of the 'pit? Bwahahahahaha, you're stupid.
jose wrote:I don't get the fixation on those specific people. You disagree with lots of people on lots of things. Why keep these in particular on target?
The current thread here has several pages of people saying similar things about AVFM as they do about FTB. Furthermore, our regular criticisms involve dozens of people - pretty much the entirety of FTB, Skepchick, and A+ forums (there are a few exceptions). An entire "movement", if you will. It's not as if we're focusing on 3 or 4 individuals.

(A bunch more stupid as fuck posts by jose)

Whatever.
Angry_Drunk wrote:I can't help but imagine how excited that graphic will make some people...until they realize the numbers are metric.
Phil's penis is 16 meters long????
ERV wrote:Hey guys-- Big Boy is officially alive. The mother fucker is absolutely working. Since 2009 I have been working on this, and now its working. Fuck. Yeah. I dont know what to do with myself.
Party at ERV's house!!!!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

About time Monsieur Garnier put his equipment to good use.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

jose wrote:I don't think Vacula will respond. At least ERV responded.

welch, you look it up. Remember: "piece of work".

I have argued at FTB that you guys should be just ignored and blocked. I'm not friends with any of the bloggers involved so it's not like I'm affected by it, but as a reader it's annoying to me that so many interruptions from you have had a bit of an impact on blogs I frequent. Others have expressed the same opinion including Jen McCreight and Bridget Gaudette. I have told them. They don't want to. I wish they did. And I wish you guys stopped. You don't want to, either. Pity.

I am harassing you, am I not? Alright alright, I don't want to cause you so much pain, or even a little pain, so I'm out. Cheers. ;)
I'm fairly sure FTB people could just stop blogging nonsense and your calm would be restored ...

Or do they *have* to respond to critique of them?

Or is it for affirmation that they aren't really crazy screwed up fucktards?

Don't you think if they had *any* self confidence, or confidence in their ideas, or even (shock horror) evidence ... they would just ignore attacks on them? Hell, even most creationists have enough belief in their own ideas to ignore attacks upon them

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Ooh I'm never going to catch up on the drama, but it looks like we had a wee guest.

Oh Jose, the reason I'm against these dickwits is because they treat people like me like second class citizens, like pathetic, ignorant little hive-minded monkeys who need to be protected and encouraged and patted on the head... until of course we express a different opinion from their accepted ideology, which is when we need to get Fucked Into The Ground. And not only do they treat people like me like worthless, but they treat white men - white men like my son, like my husband, like the people who really fucking matter in my life - like pieces of shit who are rapists-waiting-to-happen, blocking them off from commenting or contributing to any discussion.

Social justice warriors and their obsession with crushing those who stand against them, of hunting people down, destroying their livelihoods, of teaching people the right way to think in their perverse little ideology... they're dangerous, Jose. And sometimes the only way you can deal with dangerous people is by ridiculing them.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

DGS wrote:This isn't the type of thing you can just drop into, is it? Like when your just winding down with a beer. You guys are up and at it. Always. Would I annoy people by just occasionally dropping in with inane commenst based only on the last 2 posts?

Fuck off! (And fix your avatar!)

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

DGS wrote:This isn't the type of thing you can just drop into, is it? Like when your just winding down with a beer. You guys are up and at it. Always. Would I annoy people by just occasionally dropping in with inane commenst based only on the last 2 posts?

If your asking to be told to fuck off, you're already past the point of being told to fuck off

windy

Post by windy »

here's another freeze peach-loving libertarian who doesn't care if he offends people :(

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... ecc205.png

DGS

Post by DGS »

Can someone give me a pop history here? Are you guys and gals the flotsam and jetsam that floats from the recent schism in American atheism?

Are these threads you guys working out all your isshoos? If they are, I feel like I'm intruding because I don't have any issues having only tangoed with FTB's a very small amount before I realised they were advocating and facilitating free thought as much as Stalin.

Question: what is this forum for?

All genuine questions. Assume good will. I have it in droves :)

DGS

Post by DGS »

Za-zen wrote:

If your asking to be told to fuck off, you're already past the point of being told to fuck off
Does that make me a failure?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
jose wrote:I don't think Vacula will respond. At least ERV responded.

welch, you look it up. Remember: "piece of work".

I have argued at FTB that you guys should be just ignored and blocked. I'm not friends with any of the bloggers involved so it's not like I'm affected by it, but as a reader it's annoying to me that so many interruptions from you have had a bit of an impact on blogs I frequent. Others have expressed the same opinion including Jen McCreight and Bridget Gaudette. I have told them. They don't want to. I wish they did. And I wish you guys stopped. You don't want to, either. Pity.

I am harassing you, am I not? Alright alright, I don't want to cause you so much pain, or even a little pain, so I'm out. Cheers. ;)
I'm fairly sure FTB people could just stop blogging nonsense and your calm would be restored ...

Or do they *have* to respond to critique of them?

Or is it for affirmation that they aren't really crazy screwed up fucktards?

Don't you think if they had *any* self confidence, or confidence in their ideas, or even (shock horror) evidence ... they would just ignore attacks on them? Hell, even most creationists have enough belief in their own ideas to ignore attacks upon them
I'll add to this, they can spout all the fucking crazy they like, but when they insist that atheists, in order to be decent human beings/part of the atheist movement must subscribe to their particular brand of crazy, then they are going be to repeatedly mocked, satired, and generally made to look like the fuckwits they are by atheists who refuse to let ideological woo peddlers turn atheism into a religion.

If you want to fight the feminist cause, fuck off and hook up with the feminist movement. It has fuck all, i repeat, fuck all to do with atheism, why is this so hard to understand.

DGS

Post by DGS »

rayshul wrote:

Thank YOU!

Apples

Post by Apples »

Yes, you can do that. You just have to read the previous 55,000 posts first, then you can comment on the last 2 posts.

As for your avatar, it's a hint that you should use your cute Jennifer Connelly lookalike headshot, so we can objectify you.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... quotes.jpg

As for what this place is all about, this is a good introduction:

http://rationalugandan.wordpress.com/20 ... slime-pit/

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Congrats.

Reap

Post by Reap »

DGS wrote:
rayshul wrote:

Thank YOU!
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/fuckoffmat.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

windy wrote:here's another freeze peach-loving libertarian who doesn't care if he offends people :(

It's sad.
I liked that PZ.
The one we have now, well, he's changed.

http://i.imgur.com/LeyYUuR.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

DGS wrote:Can someone give me a pop history here? Are you guys and gals the flotsam and jetsam that floats from the recent schism in American atheism?

Are these threads you guys working out all your isshoos? If they are, I feel like I'm intruding because I don't have any issues having only tangoed with FTB's a very small amount before I realised they were advocating and facilitating free thought as much as Stalin.

Well I'm here to fight postmodernism with science.

And to make silly photoshop jokes - that have a far greater effect in the atheist community than any reasoned argument can produce (yes, that is sort of sad, but also sort of true.)

DGS

Post by DGS »

Apples wrote:

Yes, you can do that. You just have to read the previous 55,000 posts first, then you can comment on the last 2 posts.

As for your avatar, it's a hint that you should use your cute Jennifer Connelly lookalike headshot, so we can objectify you.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k48 ... quotes.jpg

As for what this place is all about, this is a good introduction:

http://rationalugandan.wordpress.com/20 ... slime-pit/
Thank you Apples. Okay done the avatar. My hair is much longer now though. Will read that link after I suck up some inane time. I needs it.

DGS

Post by DGS »

Reap wrote:
DGS wrote:
rayshul wrote:

Thank YOU!
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/fuckoffmat.jpg

Though I am now worried I have started some runaway competition between you all. That can only be bad for the group. Let me now vow - in a Sarah Silverman way (I am a budding standup) - to never to fuck any of you! Stand down and back to rational business fellas.

(that joke could also have gone this way - but it seemed a bit boring):

Thank you too.

Though I am now worried I have started some runaway competition between you all. You guys need to get out more!

Ya, boring

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
DGS wrote:Can someone give me a pop history here? Are you guys and gals the flotsam and jetsam that floats from the recent schism in American atheism?

Well I'm here to fight postmodernism with science.

And to make silly photoshop jokes - that have a far greater effect in the atheist community than any reasoned argument can produce (yes, that is sort of sad, but also sort of true.)
Everyone on this board is here for their own thing, our common thread is finding great glee in the absurdity that is freefromthought blogs and the stream of woo they vomit. Plus we are all in search of enlightenment

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Jose -

Since you're going on and on about Ophelia Benson and her (imagined) threats, let me go back to Jerry Conlon's tweet and then contrast that with Francisco Bacopa's offer to tag people's driveways with butterflies (to send a message). After Jerry had said that, not just Jerry but the entire 'Pit was being tarred with the same brush. We endorse throwing acid into people's faces!* That was the line being touted. That is despite the fact that Jerry never even said anything about throwing acid or any variant of the sort, but whatever, right? Details.

Then flash forward a few days to a blog post by Ophelia Benson (incidentally demonstrating the claim that her blog posts are 90% quotes) talking about ... whatever, it's irrelevant ... anyway, in the comments one Francisco Bacopa was talking about the Jerry Conlon tweet and was saying things like she should "lawyer up" and that she should "use the law, and call for a higher level of harassment when she can't" - blah blah blah, things like that, and then he said if he were supplied with any address in Southeast Texas of one of her "harassers", he would "gladly paint a butterfly on their driveway to send a message."

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-433765

A few days later, he apologised and said he shouldn't have said that, to which Ophelia responded with,
Now the interesting thing is the bolded part. "They claim that I encourage it, which is odd, given that I disagreed with it. Odd, but typical." It's interesting because when Jerry posted that tweet, no one here agreed with it. Pretty much everyone gave him flack for it and much deserved, too, given the context. The only thing that we acknowledged about it was that it quite clearly was meant as a joke, however crass or stupid in its delivery. But even though the members of the 'Pit condemned the joke, Ophelia still thought she could, to use her own words, "beat [us] over the head [with it]."

Then she adds the disclaimer "odd, but typical" as though this something that we do, and often. Isn't it interesting the way she completely ignored the double standard? But as the mantra goes, "one rule for us, another for everyone else."

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Ah, I forgot, the fine print.

*This is forgetting where Ophelia was baiting for a comment about throwing acid or similar, when she made an acid attack on a man from the Bolshoi theatre about herself.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

There is also the phawrongula wiki, and the Elevator gate rundown @ freethought kampala (september 11 2011 ). I'm unable to add links at the moment, but I'm sure someone will have already done that by the time I finish typing this.

Also welcome... and fuck off :lol:

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

DGS wrote:Though I am now worried I have started some runaway competition between you all. That can only be bad for the group. Let me now vow - in a Sarah Silverman way (I am a budding standup) - to never to fuck any of you! Stand down and back to rational business fellas.
How's that going? I sometimes think I'd have what it takes to be a standup but the idea of actually getting up there and trying to make people laugh terrifies me (so I guess I don't).

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

DGS wrote:
Za-zen wrote:

Does that make me a failure?
I think it makes us failures. We will have to do better in the future.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Apples wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Moving on, Sara Mayhew is winding up Ophelia and Svan, nicely. :D
Ophie of course has blogged about it - she appropriately titles her post, "Lazy Blogging, Bad Writing." First she snarks about Sara (Sara blogs about dresses), then justifies her style:
Ophie wrote:The first word I’ll say about that is “horseshit.” That’s horseshit. It’s not true, not as a generalization. Sometimes summarizing is preferable to quoting, but certainly not always. If it were always preferable, why would the Daily Show use so many clips? The Daily Show is quite popular, and also well thought of. It’s both. It’s considered good tv, good commentary, good humor, good news analysis. Part of what’s good is the use of video clips that show people saying things, so that we can all see exactly what they say and how they say it. A summary would not be better than that for the purposes of the show. The same goes for the Rachel Maddow show and plenty of other shows. The same goes for many many blogs that quote extensively. Some websites do nothing but link to others’ material with a headline and a teaser – like Arts and Letters Daily for example.
/derp
Anyway, Ophie, you are supposedly a "columnist" and "author," though you seem to spend incredibly little time writing essays or columns. I guess why that's why you are, for some bizarre reason, talking about TV shows. Also, there's not much wrong with quoting extensively as a writer/blogger, if you are also providing original material. But a 9-to-1 ratio of copy-paste to your own words is pretty tacky. And Ophie, I don't know Jon Stewart -- but I sure as hell know that you are no Jon Stewart, and Butterlies & Squeals is no Daily Show.
Ophie wrote:I’m interested in language and rhetoric, in the words people use and the possible reasons why they use them and the likely effects the words will have. When I’m looking at that I don’t want to summarize, I want to give the actual words, so that readers can see exactly what I’m talking about. This is a new genre that blogging makes possible in a way it wasn’t before. I like the genre, and I use it a lot.
Because she is so interested in language and rhetoric, that is why she produces so little original or interesting material. Because language. And rhetoric. Wow - I am now dumber for having read that. Also - your copy-pasta is a "new genre?" Holy-fucking-shit, call the Bloggies. God, Ophie, you are dull.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... d-writing/
http://www.freezepage.com/1362175722KVXZVKJOCL
The thing with Ophelia's lazy blogging habits is that I'm actually wondering if someone might be able to legitimately DMCA her for copyright infringement.

I would strongly object to anyone trying to DMCA her, but hell, do check the four guidelines of fair use and do your own quick evaluation. I'd say that she's really pushing it, but would probably get away with it if it came down to a real court.
It's borderline though, the fair use laws are there to protect free speech and especially criticism, reviews, etc, which is why I think she'd get away with it, but then again the way she's systematically "stealing" other people's works just to generate content for her blog (=revenue), without adding anything but some vapid sentences here and there...

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

DGS wrote:And where's my avatar gone? Did it breach some copyright?
You can post what you like when you like, many people do.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Apples wrote:
As for your avatar, it's a hint that you should use your cute Jennifer Connelly lookalike headshot,
:lol: wait whaaat :shock: wow I thought you were joking.

DGS

Post by DGS »

Apples wrote:
Never EVER gonna happen. Being from the UK I have a smattering of what has happened during this 'schism' (I've pissed Ophelia off big time by using archaic religious language like 'schism' and 'creeds' of feminism - I never meant to, I just thought they were handy terms and, as an actor, I'm playful and I love language...I got nothing but crudities back (not crudités) back. That confused me (didn't make me angry - just wasn't what I was expecting - I'm not an angry person which is why I probably won't contribute to this thread much, other than to dip in and do so lightly)

As I'm from the UK though maybe I'm underestimating the 'big deal' that this all might be. The whole atheist movement isn't big here as most people are atheists. From my perspective though, it looks rather than you being excommunicated, you have been freed? (? genuine there)....So when you gonna find closure and gets to business?? Who CARES what Ophelia thinks - or Myres? You already know they are - maybe not wrong on some things - but totally nuts at the moment. I'm a bot worried about them. They're the idiots right now. Stop arguing with them (arguing with idiots makes more gross idiots - like the world needs that [because we're all idiots sometimes - never forget that!]) and work out what this is for...

DGS

Post by DGS »

I maybe deserve a big FO for that - I can take it! :D

Post by Guest »

welch wrote:that was probably PeeZus. The fact Abbie, in a month, has done more science than he has in the last decade has to burn.
nah, same guest as from earlier posts

was thinking the same dry mockery i was using against josey before would highlight the sarcasm

guess it doesn't carry well :P

DGS

Post by DGS »

NEED ADMIN HELP! - I click to get emails with a response/reply - but I don't get them. It's like trying to re-read a book for the sexy bits (in this case people who are talking to me) without an index. Help! Is it me or you?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Think I may have mentioned le feministes in speculative fiction. Here's an interesting example of someone's women's only safe space.

http://lunastationquarterly.com/issue-0 ... -issue-013

Post by Guest »

LMU wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
Guest wrote:
harass someone?
Nice hit and run post. Drive by trolling is typical creationist behavior. It's nice to see that you have taken their tactics to heart. Well played. You're changing minds one redarded post at a time.
I assumed Guest was being humorous. There had just been a number of posts dealing with a very wide interpretation of harassment. So wide that almost anything might be considered harassment. Like: "Go harass the bar for a beer."

Funnier in my head...
:mrgreen:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Actually only part of the “flotsam and jetsam” following the holing of the S.S. FreefromThoughtBlogs – captained by PZ Myers who should, by rights, go down with his ship which seems to be foundering rather badly these days … :-)

The rest of the riff-raff here are just freebooters who will, at a moment’s notice, take on any target of opportunity even if only for the lulz …. :-)

But, in passing, I definitely like “I realised they were advocating and facilitating free thought as much as Stalin”. While many over “there” have, of course, argued with some justification that they are not obliged to provide a soap-box to all who wish to use their blogs for that purpose, the fact that so few there question the “conventional wisdom” entirely justifies the comparisons to various totalitarian regimes, fictional and otherwise ….

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

DGS wrote:
Apples wrote:
Never EVER gonna happen. Being from the UK I have a smattering of what has happened during this 'schism' (I've pissed Ophelia off big time by using archaic religious language like 'schism' and 'creeds' of feminism - I never meant to, I just thought they were handy terms and, as an actor, I'm playful and I love language...I got nothing but crudities back (not crudités) back. That confused me (didn't make me angry - just wasn't what I was expecting - I'm not an angry person which is why I probably won't contribute to this thread much, other than to dip in and do so lightly)

As I'm from the UK though maybe I'm underestimating the 'big deal' that this all might be. The whole atheist movement isn't big here as most people are atheists. From my perspective though, it looks rather than you being excommunicated, you have been freed? (? genuine there)....So when you gonna find closure and gets to business?? Who CARES what Ophelia thinks - or Myres? You already know they are - maybe not wrong on some things - but totally nuts at the moment. I'm a bot worried about them. They're the idiots right now. Stop arguing with them (arguing with idiots makes more gross idiots - like the world needs that [because we're all idiots sometimes - never forget that!]) and work out what this is for...
We're not arguing with them.
We are laughing at them the same way Myers used to laugh at creationists.
This is not an angry forum. We are having fun here. :D
It's like a pub.

By the way, I'd guess that compared to FTB this place is far more international - and more mixed in terms of gender and race.
There's quite a few Brits, Colonial Commoners and Europeans here.
I guess most of us have other venues where we talk about other things - atheism, skepticism, politics etc. Here the subject is confined to the latest shenanigans from the FTB bunch as they attempt damage control.

Post by Guest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
windy wrote:here's another freeze peach-loving libertarian who doesn't care if he offends people :(

It's sad.
I liked that PZ.
The one we have now, well, he's changed.
[/img]
At some point he converted to feminism and started talking about this Watson woman I hadn't heard of before. It went downhill quickly.

Even sadder than being reminded of Old PZ is seeing Old Pharyngula. Look at the variety of names in that comment thread! So many different people with different opinions. Now it's the same few loudmouths saying the same things again and again. So sad.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I have no idea what people are talking about when they talk about women fighting each other in the work place. Is this a thing that happens or is this something made up? Genuine question.

DGS

Post by DGS »

Jack wrote:
okay, can I just ask, are you a Jack of the Richard variety?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

DGS wrote:
Apples wrote:

It think you may be under the impression the Slymepit is alone in condoning the antics at FtB and A+. That is not the case, they have attacked continue to attack many prominent figures. Some who have responded but not here.

I come from an background of arguing with believers in nonsense for years and largely ignoring the activist community. I came here a few weeks back to look at what I could do on activism and I was horrified that the very community I assumed was immune from irrational ideas was being infected by it. I spend many hours considering both sides carefully but it was as clear as day what their intentions were no matter how charitable I tried to be. The last place I found was the Slympit so nothing here influenced me. There were attempting overrunning the community was an idealised (and very simplistic) rad fem culture which had nothing to to with atheism or rational thought. Far worse was their methods for doing this, it comes straight out of the Stalinist textbook, as you noted. This goes against everything I believe in.

For me it is as simple as dealing with extremist ideologues and cultists so I am on familiar ground. I am here to try and show support. I have a ton of time and this is a very small part of what I do, but I will continue to do so until these people have stopped infecting conferences and trying to run the narrative.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Guest wrote:
Even sadder than being reminded of Old PZ is seeing Old Pharyngula. Look at the variety of names in that comment thread! So many different people with different opinions. Now it's the same few loudmouths saying the same things again and again. So sad.

Some of us just changed our usernames and moved to the slymepit! :D

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Guest wrote:
welch wrote:that was probably PeeZus. The fact Abbie, in a month, has done more science than he has in the last decade has to burn.
nah, same guest as from earlier posts

was thinking the same dry mockery i was using against josey before would highlight the sarcasm

guess it doesn't carry well :P
It did for me, I assumed you were joking because I'm a bit of a hero like that.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

16bitheretic wrote:A message for those who want to police language:

여성 성기
So you are Korean?

Post by Guest »

why is pz harassing poor ophelia by calling her a shallow thinker and superficial censor who is not interested in ideas?

that is totes mean

DGS

Post by DGS »

rayshul wrote:I have no idea what people are talking about when they talk about women fighting each other in the work place. Is this a thing that happens or is this something made up? Genuine question.
It would be really helpful if these discussions could be broken down. I want to test myself against other (putative) rational minds [!]. I have stuff to learn. I also want to do this more than casually. I think this forum could be a robust platform for that - not just me obviously. Ground rules: civility and the scientific method (because some whipper-snappers and adults who should know better thunks that might is right and that's the lie of the land) it's not. Long live radial progressivism! Who the fuck does that belong to?! <invoke irony - or not - here>

DGS

Post by DGS »

Guest wrote:why is pz harassing poor ophelia by calling her a shallow thinker and superficial censor who is not interested in ideas?

that is totes mean

<<<who cares?>>>

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

DGS wrote:
Jack wrote:
I don't know who 'of Richard' is so probably no.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
We're not arguing with them.
We are laughing at them the same way Myers used to laugh at creationists.
This is not an angry forum. We are having fun here. :D
It's like a pub.

By the way, I'd guess that compared to FTB this place is far more international - and more mixed in terms of gender and race.
There's quite a few Brits, Colonial Commoners and Europeans here.
I guess most of us have other venues where we talk about other things - atheism, skepticism, politics etc. Here the subject is confined to the latest shenanigans from the FTB bunch as they attempt damage control.
We have a number of South American too.

People talk about a lot of things on this thread, so I wouldn't necessarily say the subject is confined, but I would agree that if you want to talk about that, or find some interesting news related to it, then this is a good place. :)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

DGS wrote:
rayshul wrote:I have no idea what people are talking about when they talk about women fighting each other in the work place. Is this a thing that happens or is this something made up? Genuine question.
It would be really helpful if these discussions could be broken down. I want to test myself against other (putative) rational minds [!]. I have stuff to learn. I also want to do this more than casually. I think this forum could be a robust platform for that - not just me obviously. Ground rules: civility and the scientific method (because some whipper-snappers and adults who should know better thunks that might is right and that's the lie of the land) it's not. Long live radial progressivism! Who the fuck does that belong to?! <invoke irony - or not - here>
It's kind of a yes or no question. I haven't seen it in any professional organisation I've worked in but I'm not going to discount the idea if it is a genuine thing that occurs in other segments of society/cultures.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Jack wrote:
DGS wrote:
Jack wrote:
Dick, Jack, dick.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

DGS wrote:...Ground rules: civility and the scientific method...
Perhaps, as a dumb Merkin, I'm just mis-reading your British in this section of your quote. It sounds a bit tone trollish to me. Please forgive if you meant something else.

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

Caine, Fleur du mal when she was sane:
Caine, Fleur du mal
March 15, 2010

Boygenius:

Slap me hard enough and I might just call you a cunning stunt.

Hahahahahaha. Oooh, baby.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... ent-764472

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

rayshul wrote:
Jack wrote:
DGS wrote:
Jack wrote:
Dick, Jack, dick.
Yes I thought Dick or even Richard the Third (turd). Didn't work, I'm humour challenged, aka boring bastard.

I's also annoyed and as I'm supposed to be blind drunk by now and posting like Steersman. I am very disappointed in myself.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Guest wrote: Even sadder than being reminded of Old PZ is seeing Old Pharyngula. Look at the variety of names in that comment thread! So many different people with different opinions. Now it's the same few loudmouths saying the same things again and again. So sad.
You said it. Calling Pharyngula (and its commenters) a shadow of its former self does a disservice to shadows.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Jack wrote: It think you may be under the impression the Slymepit is alone in condoning the antics at FtB and A+.
*condemning

Just sayin'.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Gumby wrote:
Guest wrote: Even sadder than being reminded of Old PZ is seeing Old Pharyngula. Look at the variety of names in that comment thread! So many different people with different opinions. Now it's the same few loudmouths saying the same things again and again. So sad.
You said it. Calling Pharyngula (and its commenters) a shadow of its former self does a disservice to shadows.
Nice illustration of how a cult mentality sets in over time.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

DGS

Post by DGS »

Jack wrote:
DGS wrote:
Jack wrote:
Okay, I just thought you were someone I might have known in real life who would have known what that meant. But I am playing fast and loose tonight with the scotch so I will always second guess myself. Sorry.