Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:Apropos something or other, I wonder how long it is before unsolicited internet hugs become categorised as sexual assault, since going to a website and reading disagreement of one's opinion is already considered bullying and harrassment?

(((Richard)))
That's why they always preface the hugs with a "hugs if wanted", so they don't trigger anyone.
It's always made me want to post this to someone:

(((FORCIBLE)))
SURPRISE!

((SEX))

There, now it's not rape, it's Surprise Sex. Totally different.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Ericb wrote:Irish monument too ‘phallic’ to share park with Montreal Massacre memorial, opponents say
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/19 ... nents-say/
The problem isn't with the original plans.

http://i.imgur.com/X2SM6zd.jpg

It's to do with the Guinness sponsored version.

http://i.imgur.com/tOBXEW2.jpg[/quote]
Not since ancient Egypt has there been a culture as obsessed with memorials and monuments. Every few miles on any American highway you'll come across make shift memorials for someone who died in an accident there, but at least those are at the location where the death occurred. Nearly every large American city has a holocaust memorial even though that happened in Europe. Baltimore has a large memorial devoted for the Katyn Forrest massacre which happened in Poland. Why does Vancouver need a memorial for people who died in Montreal? How about memorials to for Rwanda, or Cambodia, Wounded Knee, Africans who died during the middle passage, China's cultural revolution, Stalin's engineered famines, the black plague? Why not just cover our cities in memorials?
Don't even get me started on phallic obelisks and vulva benches. Vancouver must be the SJW capital of the world, yet their utopia continues to elude them.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

From Thunderdome (comment 831) :
thumper1990

22 February 2013 at 5:22 am (UTC -6) Link to this comment

Hmm, sorry, shouldn’t have used the word crackpot. That was thoughtless of me. I apologise.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0cqd ... o1_500.png

welch

Post by welch »

Submariner wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Not joining the navy has always been one of my big regrets.
In all seriousness gays were drummed out of the Navy if it was determined by 1) confession or 2) being caught in a homosexual act.

We had one Machinist's Mate get discharged for telling the corpsman that he was gay (or QUILTBAG I'm not sure). Too bad, he was the better ship's barber.
We had one guy try to use a "confession" to get out early. The CO's response: "I don't believe you, not one fucking bit. I've seen you at the Xmas party."

Dude was rather stumped, as the only option at that point was rather...distasteful to him on all levels. Fortunately for him, the CO settled for calling him a dumbass, then finding out what was really wrong. Turned out there were problems at home, and the guy had no clue that the military actually had helpful ways of handling those. Humanitarian reassignment, and all was well.

katamari Damassi

Submariner wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Not joining the navy has always been one of my big regrets.
In all seriousness gays were drummed out of the Navy if it was determined by 1) confession or 2) being caught in a homosexual act.

We had one Machinist's Mate get discharged for telling the corpsman that he was gay (or QUILTBAG I'm not sure). Too bad, he was the better ship's barber.
One of my exes was in the navy for several years back in the 80's. He kept on the DL and never had any relations-at least not with other sailors or marines during his service. He still regards it as a great experience.
It parallels my Peace Corps experience. I didn't get laid much(especially compared to straight volunteers who got laid ALL THE TIME), but I still loved it.

welch

Post by welch »

Submariner wrote:
welch wrote:
or the ground pounder/flyboy version: "What happens TDY, stays TDY"
Ahhh, I DO miss talking in acronyms. <sigh>

yeah. One time, my boss asked me about ECM. twenty minutes later, he was stopping me. Evidently, every other word out of my mouth had been an acronym of some kind. I didn't even notice, I mean, how else does one talk about that stuff?

JAB

Post by JAB »

He Renee, I have an idea for your blog network. A blogless comment section. A few of them actually. Call one of them Fitzpharangula and let it be a place for unmoderated comments on whatever is going on at pharangula that day, and Fitzalmostdiamonds etc. A bit more focused than this place, maybe. Wouldn't it be funny if it became the "comment section of record" for the fftbs. Might cut into their traffic a bit... oh well.

katamari Damassi

Oh back in 2000-2001 during the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" years I dated an army colonel from Fort Lee, Virginia. He was surprisingly fem. I'm really shocked he wasn't kicked out.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tigzy wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:It is highly hypocritical of Ophelia to keep complaining about bad smells, when she stinks of wet dog.
:lol: How do you know? Have you ever sniffed her?

I reckon Pruney smells of lavender and dust.
I always imagined her smell to be a combination of patchoili and mothballs.

JAB

Post by JAB »

katamari Damassi wrote: Not since ancient Egypt has there been a culture as obsessed with memorials and monuments. Every few miles on any American highway you'll come across make shift memorials for someone who died in an accident there, but at least those are at the location where the death occurred. Nearly every large American city has a holocaust memorial even though that happened in Europe. Baltimore has a large memorial devoted for the Katyn Forrest massacre which happened in Poland. Why does Vancouver need a memorial for people who died in Montreal? How about memorials to for Rwanda, or Cambodia, Wounded Knee, Africans who died during the middle passage, China's cultural revolution, Stalin's engineered famines, the black plague? Why not just cover our cities in memorials?
Don't even get me started on phallic obelisks and vulva benches. Vancouver must be the SJW capital of the world, yet their utopia continues to elude them.
Especially since if they wanted a memorial to violence against women in the Vancouver area they could have put one at Pickton's pig farm.

AnotherLurkerMkII

Re: Strangerella SHALL go to the Ball!

Post by AnotherLurkerMkII »

Michael K Gray wrote:Sally Strange has reached her $ target to attend the American Atheists 50th Anniversary National Convention.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! DAMN YOU SALLY STRANGE! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!

There, Sally. Now you can tell your A+theists friends that the Pit is outraged by your presence at the conference. You're welcome!

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Submariner wrote:

One of my exes was in the navy for several years back in the 80's. He kept on the DL and never had any relations-at least not with other sailors or marines during his service. He still regards it as a great experience.
It parallels my Peace Corps experience. I didn't get laid much(especially compared to straight volunteers who got laid ALL THE TIME), but I still loved it.
On one of my cruises, 2 guys who worked in engineering were caught "swordfighting" in the same rack. They got discharged.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

katamari Damassi wrote:blather
Your argument would sound slightly less vapid if you weren't conflating Canada with the U.S.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

windy wrote: Indeed, since I don't know what the hell you were getting at either. If you are going to spoon-feed someone, wouldn't it be best to have some sort of goal in mind? The little duckie on the bottom of the bowl?
Sounds like your eyes glazed over and you managed to scroll down just in time to avoid falling asleep.

Probably a good thing I apparently have thick skin. Otherwise I might have been mortally offended. Because you are invalidating and erasing me (or some sort of thing).
windy wrote: That's your takeaway from that debunking of Glymour?? :doh: I wouldn't trust philosophers to tell me if a particular scientific field or result is bunk, but they can be very useful in calling other philosophers on their BS.
Indeed.

A further note, this is not the first time, and probably not the last, that a point that is clearly obvious to others, despite staging a musical song and dance whilst doing so, goes sailing over my haid, unacknowledged and/or unnoticed.

What I saw was the obscure arguing with/about the inscrutable, and mine eyes glazed over.

So I guess we are even?

welch

Post by welch »

JAB wrote:He Renee, I have an idea for your blog network. A blogless comment section. A few of them actually. Call one of them Fitzpharangula and let it be a place for unmoderated comments on whatever is going on at pharangula that day, and Fitzalmostdiamonds etc. A bit more focused than this place, maybe. Wouldn't it be funny if it became the "comment section of record" for the fftbs. Might cut into their traffic a bit... oh well.

you mean...a forum?

welch

Post by welch »

windy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
windy wrote:Hoping not to encourage another rambling post from Andrew, but just to address this point:
No fear of that at the moment.

I was unsure of exactly how familiar welsh was with the concepts, so I thought it best to spoon feed him and take him through the process step by step.

It did not go down well I am sure we can agree.
Indeed, since I don't know what the hell you were getting at either. If you are going to spoon-feed someone, wouldn't it be best to have some sort of goal in mind? The little duckie on the bottom of the bowl?
You're really assuming there was a point. It's fairly obvious there wasn't, he just played the "I will drop all the links" game

JAB

Post by JAB »

welch wrote:
JAB wrote:He Renee, I have an idea for your blog network. A blogless comment section. A few of them actually. Call one of them Fitzpharangula and let it be a place for unmoderated comments on whatever is going on at pharangula that day, and Fitzalmostdiamonds etc. A bit more focused than this place, maybe. Wouldn't it be funny if it became the "comment section of record" for the fftbs. Might cut into their traffic a bit... oh well.

you mean...a forum?
I guess it could be done here, yeah. But I thought that if she's hosting blogs this could be a sideline, since it's blog related, although not to the particular blogs she hosts. Might generate some traffic for the other blogs.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

katamari Damassi wrote:Oh back in 2000-2001 during the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" years I dated an army colonel from Fort Lee, Virginia. He was surprisingly fem. I'm really shocked he wasn't kicked out.
My division chief (RCLPO) was gay but kept it from everyone. The only possible tell was that he volunteered to be the ship's Drug Testing Coordinator. (That meant he had to visually watch every sailor's urine from source to container, when their random number came up).

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Submariner wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Oh back in 2000-2001 during the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" years I dated an army colonel from Fort Lee, Virginia. He was surprisingly fem. I'm really shocked he wasn't kicked out.
My division chief (RCLPO) was gay but kept it from everyone. The only possible tell was that he volunteered to be the ship's Drug Testing Coordinator. (That meant he had to visually watch every sailor's urine from source to container, when their random number came up).
Aren't there other possible explanations for his volunteering for that duty? Was he a stickler for the rules, the kind to want to make sure that they're followed to the letter?

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I had thought Amanda Marcotte couldn't get any worse...
I’ve been watching with interest as Harriet Hall—a doctor, a skeptic and a blogger at Science-Based Medicine—flails around in her very determined but bizarre effort to denounce Women in Secularism (where I’ll be speaking, so come on out!) and all other efforts to improve women’s participation in atheist/skeptic movement stuff: It’s an amusing performance that veers between embracing deterministic arguments (she’s fond of the women-just-aren’t-as-into-that-rationality-thing-and-that’s-just-how-it-is-and-why-question-it argument) while insisting she is too a feminist, and, in the grand tradition of internet rabbit holes, getting into a long, digressive, but admittedly interesting debate about the meanings of words like “gender”, “sex”, “identity”, and “orientation” with Will at Skepchick. Hall has an interesting pedigree as a pioneering pilot and flight surgeon, which has been wielded to exempt her from criticism for her ideas, but to which I say means that it’s important to be even more careful when examining her biases.
See the rest of her shit here

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@Windy,

I did not make it clear that I got your point, instead I went galloping off madly in all directions.

The issue you have with Shalizi:
I will push extra hard, once again, Clark Glymour's paper on The Bell Curve, which patiently explains why these tools are just not up to the job of causal inference.
Sesardic:
His conclusion is that anti-heritability arguments are based on conceptual confusions and misunderstandings of behavioral genetics.
Point taken.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Skep tickle wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Aren't there other possible explanations for his volunteering for that duty? Was he a stickler for the rules, the kind to want to make sure that they're followed to the letter?
That wouldn't really describe his personality, no.
I said "tell" as in poker, not explanation.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

@ Skep tickle:

I found out after I was discharged through contacts who had remained active duty about the chief I'm referring to here. To be honest, I was rather shocked to find out.

Git

Post by Git »

Lsuoma wrote:
Reap wrote:
franc wrote:
AnotherLurkerMKII wrote:Uranus is a circle with a blotch of paint!
Here -

http://i.imgur.com/542s6Az.jpg
So then who is the Jew-pitter?
Git. Has to be.
Damn you Lsuoma, you beat me to it.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Wow, Zinnia Jones latest blog.
There is room for experimentation here.

So, what could this mean for cis people who don’t believe the sex of their body is important to them? Is there a way for them to put their money where their mouth is? Might we be able to show them, in some small but concretely biological fashion, what it’s like to be trans? Ozy noted that we can’t really go around covertly giving cis men HRT for trans women to see how it affects them. But I think we could circumvent most of these concerns if they agree to it first.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Zinnia, next paragraph:
I must point out that I’m in no position to give medical advice, and nobody should start taking any kind of medication like this without the appropriate supervision and a full awareness of its possible risks. That being said, it would be surprisingly easy for cis guys to obtain HRT for trans women without once seeing a doctor. While testosterone is a controlled substance, limiting the options for trans men or curious cis women, estrogen and anti-androgens are not. They’re not over-the-counter, but they can be purchased from overseas at a rather low cost. There are even places where you can order the necessary blood tests to ensure that it’s safe for you.

Git

Post by Git »

I used to run an astrophysics/astronomy blog, but not sure that would be a good fit for Renee's network.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Skeeve wrote:I had thought Amanda Marcotte couldn't get any worse...
I’ve been watching with interest as Harriet Hall—a doctor, a skeptic and a blogger at Science-Based Medicine—flails around in her very determined but bizarre effort to denounce Women in Secularism (where I’ll be speaking, so come on out!) and all other efforts to improve women’s participation in atheist/skeptic movement stuff: It’s an amusing performance that veers between embracing deterministic arguments (she’s fond of the women-just-aren’t-as-into-that-rationality-thing-and-that’s-just-how-it-is-and-why-question-it argument) while insisting she is too a feminist, and, in the grand tradition of internet rabbit holes, getting into a long, digressive, but admittedly interesting debate about the meanings of words like “gender”, “sex”, “identity”, and “orientation” with Will at Skepchick. Hall has an interesting pedigree as a pioneering pilot and flight surgeon, which has been wielded to exempt her from criticism for her ideas, but to which I say means that it’s important to be even more careful when examining her biases.

also her tweet about the above article:

http://atheiststoday.com/images/dw_adam ... otte01.png

Apples

Post by Apples »

Crummie is promoting this on his blog:

http://www.depressionquest.com/dqfinal.html

Yep - it's a choose your own adventure game where you are .... your typical Pharyngula Lounge commenter.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Skeeve wrote:

Amanda Marcotte will always find ways to plumb fresh depths of dishonesty and hostility. I was thinking the other day that if you played a drinking game where you drank every time she said "rape" on Twitter you'd be dead of alcohol poisoning within an afternoon.

welch

Post by welch »

JAB wrote:
welch wrote:

you mean...a forum?
I guess it could be done here, yeah. But I thought that if she's hosting blogs this could be a sideline, since it's blog related, although not to the particular blogs she hosts. Might generate some traffic for the other blogs.
Google is good at that, so is cross-linking, but if they're all on the same site, then Google cares much less.

welch

Post by welch »

Submariner wrote:Wow, Zinnia Jones latest blog.
There is room for experimentation here.

So, what could this mean for cis people who don’t believe the sex of their body is important to them? Is there a way for them to put their money where their mouth is? Might we be able to show them, in some small but concretely biological fashion, what it’s like to be trans? Ozy noted that we can’t really go around covertly giving cis men HRT for trans women to see how it affects them. But I think we could circumvent most of these concerns if they agree to it first.
And of course, if you didn't agree, that would show you to be a transphobe.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Apples wrote:
Skeeve wrote:

Amanda Marcotte will always find ways to plumb fresh depths of dishonesty and hostility. I was thinking the other day that if you played a drinking game where you drank every time she said "rape" on Twitter you'd be dead of alcohol poisoning within an afternoon.
Interesting. If being a competent doctor is the "top" of the ladder, then why isn't Marcotte in medical school?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Skeeve wrote:
What the fucking fuck is Marcottage Cheese going on about there?? Harriet Hall doesn't denounce WiS in that article - in fact, Harriet Hall doesn't mention Women in Scepticism once there.

She's lying through her fucking blowhole.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:Apropos something or other, I wonder how long it is before unsolicited internet hugs become categorised as sexual assault, since going to a website and reading disagreement of one's opinion is already considered bullying and harrassment?

(((Richard)))
That's why they always preface the hugs with a "hugs if wanted", so they don't trigger anyone.

(((FORCIBLE)))
(((COP A FEEL)))

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Missed from my earlier post: 'Harriet Hall doesn't denounce WiS in that article she linked to'

'Pologies.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Lsuoma wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Submariner wrote:

(((Richard)))

(((FORCIBLE)))
(((COP A FEEL)))
I don't think parentheses really capture the existential dread of being forced to make virtual contact with someone against your will. Braces are better.

{{{BAD TOUCH}}}

LMU

Post by LMU »

rayshul wrote:...while trying to search for how to deconvert a social justice warrior I found this:

Those familiar tactics of our FTB friends:

But I can find nothing to, you know, cure the whole thing. Surely there should be some kind of debriefing camps or something like they have for cults.
I would be interested in knowing how to deconvert a SJW too. It might not be possible, in the same way that you can't easily deconvert creationists or any fundamentalist. The best approach might be something similar to how skeptics dealt with creationists: deal with as many of their claims as possible and expose their behavior. Creationists have kind of been done to death, it would be interesting if more skeptics took it upon themselves to deal with SJWs.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Git wrote:I used to run an astrophysics/astronomy blog, but not sure that would be a good fit for Renee's network.
I'd love to join the network! Mostly it would be music and bitching about Merkins.

Yeah, fine, I won't.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Phil - I'd love it if you were there as well :D Now my biggest challenge is figuring out which CMS is best for a multiblog setup. Not a huge fan of Wordpress (though, I have that set up for my kids - just 'cuz it's easier for them). Any suggestions all?

Apples

Post by Apples »

Tigzy wrote:What the fucking fuck is Marcottage Cheese going on about there?? Harriet Hall doesn't denounce WiS in that article - in fact, Harriet Hall doesn't mention Women in Scepticism once there.

She's lying through her fucking blowhole.
She's extrapolating from Harriett's suggestion that minority groups' self-segregating is divisive, which she strawmanned this way:
Amanda Marcotte wrote:I would point out that Hall is utterly inconsistent in her belief that people should simply squelch their concerns about doing what’s right to join in solidarity with others for mutual goals. To be consistent, Hall should start criticizing the very existence of skeptic and atheist conferences, insisting that we should instead have general interest “people who want good things to happen” conferences, where we can join with all people everywhere for the goal of “good things happening”. It will turn out, of course, that the vast majority of the speakers at the general “people who want good things to happen” conference will be promoting not just religion, but herbal remedies and superstitions and belief in ghosts, because these are all popular beliefs—far more popular than atheism and skepticism.
Because, after all, there's no difference between "being a woman" or other "minority" and having particular beliefs/interests. (After all, being a woman = being a rabid far-left Democrat feminist who loves politicians like John Edwards and believes the Duke lacrosse rapists got away with it).

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

The internet is just crawling with misogynists making personal attacks on feminists. They attack the person rather than their ideas because they know they can't win a fair fight. Right Ophie, Beccy, Amanda?

AnotherLurkerMkII

free thoughtpolice wrote:The internet is just crawling with misogynists making personal attacks on feminists. They attack the person rather than their ideas because they know they can't win a fair fight. Right Ophie, Beccy, Amanda?
Don't be silly. Actual mysoginists never go so low as to accuse their targets of being smelly, stinky, dirty women.

AnotherLurkerMkII

Sorry, I cannot bring myself to let this go. Ophelia Benson actually thinks that she can win an argument literally telling that her adversary smells bad.

I never thought that Ophelia Benson could have the mentality of a 5-year old boy, but actually that explains so much.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Interesting piece from 2011 about a podcast Marcotte did on evolutionary psychology. Too bad Watson didn't read this before doing her EP speech (not that it necessarily would have made any difference):

http://www.epjournal.net/blog/2011/10/a ... rejudices/

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Apples

Extrapolating? Where? Unless Marcottage Cheese takes extrapolating to mean making shit up from vague ambiguities. I mean, if Marcotte is referring to this:
I shouldn’t have to say this, but for the record, I have no objection to minorities joining together in solidarity in any way they choose. I have a personal preference to participate as an integral member of the general body of skeptics, rather than meet with a subset of women skeptics. I would be distressed if the skeptical movement were balkanized into ineffectiveness by creating separate meetings for every conceivable minority group. Do we need a conference devoted to elderly transsexual black Hispanic scientists? OK, so that’s ridiculous; but at what point does it become ridiculous? Think about it for a moment. Be fair. Are you biased against small minorities and willing to treat them differently because of their size? In my opinion it’s more productive to address everyone’s special concerns within the skeptical community as a whole. But that’s only my personal opinion. If any minority group, no matter how small, wants to have their own separate meeting, I certainly wouldn’t try to stop them.
Then she linked to the wrong article, because this is in Hall's second one - where she simply states that she would personally prefer to participate as an integral member of the general body of skeptics, rather than a more specialised body. How the hell this translates to a denouncement of WiS...well, fuck knows.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Today I managed to overcome my Chris Mooney gag-reflex in order to listen to Steven Pinker on the Point of Interest podcast. You had all better get ready because Ophelia is going to go apeshit, she's probably writing an angry blog ripping into Pinker right now.
He was discussing violence and said that there wasn't much difference between the sexes when it came to something like a head of state waging war in the defence of their country's best interests. He then said:

"Fights over a parking space, road rage, fights over a pool table, fights over national honour where nothing is at stake except national honour, campaigns of bloodthirsty conquest and insane wars of aggression, it looks like that's more of a guy thing."

After seeing how she went tonto on Shermer I'm pretty sure she's now going to do her dinger with Pinker and demand that he admits that women are violent, bloodthirsty arseholes just like men. Let me know when she posts her blog about this.

LMU

Post by LMU »

This was linked in the JREF thread and I thought it was interesting. Only the abstract of the paper is available unfortunately. http://lifehacker.com/5986087/science-e ... or-you-too

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok - enough interest has been put out there. So, I'm getting things going for a atheist/skeptic blog community. I grabbed http://atheismskepticism.com/ and will be working on a multiple blog CMS setup on my server this weekend (the domain doesn't point properly yet and does nothing at this point, FYI). Thanks for the feedback all! As soon as it's up and ready to go, I'll let you all know.
Neat. Seeing as I think almost every reply you got was from people saying "I would contribute occasionally" my suggestion would be to run it in a way where every "blogger" is a "guest-blogger" and then separate content by topic rather than by author (you could do it with tags e.g. Skepticism, Atheism, Drama). Seeing as the term "blog" usually means "repeated posts by the same author" you might even consider calling it something else, like an "online magazine" or something like that. That way you could treat regular bloggers (such as yourself, I would assume) as one "column" and the guest bloggers on particular topics as another "column".

You could even have a system where there is peer-review/editing by other authors before content gets pushed online. Just a few suggestions.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Reap wrote:So then who is the Jew-pitter?
SN?
I have never believed in any gods, right from the time they tried to explain the jewish version to me. I immediately asked, well, if god made everything, then who made god? Still haven't gotten a straight answer to that one.

Even at this late date though, my father would still be pleased as kosher pig shit for me to start seeing a nice jewish boy and maybe pop out a kid before all my eggs dry up. Ain't gonna happen. No jewish-raised (or other types of) grandkiddies from me. I've got a couple of brothers passing along the family genes, and that's good enough for me.

If there is anything similar to excommunication but for jews, I've probably already gotten it. I'm proud to say that I gave all my rabbis nothing but trouble, both in being a brat as well as in asking very uncomfortable questions. Like being 6 or 7 and asking how Cain and Abel had kids, since the only woman created so far was their mother!!! (I knew the basics of reproduction at that age). Or how come god said it's good to kill ____ even though thou shalt not murder? How come you thank god in that prayer for making you a man? Is something wrong with being female? I also made a point of touching the oh so fucking holy torah (which only males are allowed to touch for good luck).

But racially, I'm so fucking pure jewish I'm nearly inbred. Almost 100% Ashkenazi jew. The 'almost' part is a tiny bit from somewhere back to around 500 years ago, when one of my ancestors was not quite in the jewish club. They were either Asian or Native American.

Hey, Melody is a member there too (same one - same pic). Does anyone think I should send an invitation to share genetic info? Heheh.
The cool thing about the Jewish religion is you don't hear about them shunning family members who are atheists as much as christians. They just kinda say "Yea yea you're an atheist. You were born a Jew and you die a Jew so have a nice time being an atheist...Jew." Not a single ex-jew I've talked to has been disowned by their family.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok - enough interest has been put out there. So, I'm getting things going for a atheist/skeptic blog community. I grabbed http://atheismskepticism.com/ and will be working on a multiple blog CMS setup on my server this weekend (the domain doesn't point properly yet and does nothing at this point, FYI). Thanks for the feedback all! As soon as it's up and ready to go, I'll let you all know.
Neat. Seeing as I think almost every reply you got was from people saying "I would contribute occasionally" my suggestion would be to run it in a way where every "blogger" is a "guest-blogger" and then separate content by topic rather than by author (you could do it with tags e.g. Skepticism, Atheism, Drama). Seeing as the term "blog" usually means "repeated posts by the same author" you might even consider calling it something else, like an "online magazine" or something like that. That way you could treat regular bloggers (such as yourself, I would assume) as one "column" and the guest bloggers on particular topics as another "column".

You could even have a system where there is peer-review/editing by other authors before content gets pushed online. Just a few suggestions.
I would say one advantage of doing it like this means you could get "guest posts" by bloggers who have their own site or who are on another network (and then obviously let them mirror the content on their own site).

katamari Damassi

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Your argument would sound slightly less vapid if you weren't conflating Canada with the U.S.
You have shown me the error of my ways. All apologies and hugs to you.

Reap

Post by Reap »

welch wrote:
JAB wrote:
welch wrote:

you mean...a forum?
Google is good at that, so is cross-linking, but if they're all on the same site, then Google cares much less.
Hey Welch what if you are picking up the RSS feed. Does google count that as cross-linking? Or does the link need to be in the text of the blog? What counts as cross-linking I guess is my question

katamari Damassi

katamari Damassi wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
Actually since you(in true FTB style)replaced my quote with "blather," I'm not 100% sure which of my posts you have a problem with. Care to elucidate?

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

katamari Damassi wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
Actually since you(in true FTB style)replaced my quote with "blather," I'm not 100% sure which of my posts you have a problem with. Care to elucidate?
I dunno, try the one where you list a bunch U.S. and Canadian cities together and attempt to slag off about their "culture".

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Soooo. A setup where there are guest bloggers rather than a network of separate bloggers?

katamari Damassi

Angry_Drunk wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
I dunno, try the one where you list a bunch U.S. and Canadian cities together and attempt to slag off about their "culture".
I was relating to what I see in my own country(in regards to memorial mania) with what is being reported from Vancouver. What's your beef exactly? Did I insult the Vancouverites? If so, then how?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Soooo. A setup where there are guest bloggers rather than a network of separate bloggers?
I could be a regular blogger. I'd just blog about as often as Christina Rad does on FfTB...

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
I was relating to what I see in my own country(in regards to memorial mania) with what is being reported from Vancouver. What's your beef exactly? Did I insult the Vancouverites? If so, then how?
I don't give two shits about Vancouver. I'm just amused by the fact that you don't seem to understand that Canada and the United States of America are, in fact, different countries. And they say us "merkins" are ignorant.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Angry_Drunk, do you need: (a hug), (a forcible), a (cop a feel), or a {bad touch} ???