Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Old subthreads
Submariner

Re: Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by Submariner »

Guest wrote:I'm having a look at Ben Radford's latest comment thread.

Can someone explain to me why his detractors keep saying that the "all men are rapists" trope isn't proselyted by modern feminists when "schrodingers rapist" and "rape culture" are trotted out so frequently?
This video should explain it:

[youtube]TPsItQ_JrtI[/youtube]

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Pennsylvania (or NY/NJ) pitters - have an intimate lunch with Richard Dawkins! Tickets should go quickly, so act now.

http://skepticink.com/justinvacula/2013 ... nsylvania/

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Damn, I don't have $300 (1.5 Fluevog) to dish out on that lunch.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Isn't it 1.2 fluevog?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

rocko2466 wrote:Found this gem in the last link:
EllenBeth Wachs wrote:Rocko? your “Dramatic Readings” aren’t outrageous reactionary nonsense, are they?
Well ... in the same way that satire is outrageous reactionary nonsense, yes.

WAIT. EllenBeth! Are you saying that your comments are satire?

Ohmegods! I get you now!
EllenBeth is disappointed you haven't included any of the stupid stuff she's said in your readings. This reads as a typical plea for attention.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:Found this gem in the last link:
EllenBeth Wachs wrote:Rocko? your “Dramatic Readings” aren’t outrageous reactionary nonsense, are they?
Well ... in the same way that satire is outrageous reactionary nonsense, yes.

WAIT. EllenBeth! Are you saying that your comments are satire?

Ohmegods! I get you now!
EllenBeth is disappointed you haven't included any of the stupid stuff she's said in your readings. This reads as a typical plea for attention.
Yep, she's losing out on valuable victim points. Shame on you. Shame.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Updated oolon's list to include a seperate list labelled "The Creepy Clown Threat Narrative"
Creepy Clowns: Freethought Bullies and the Threat Narrative Clown Horn.
Tweet further suggestions to #snowflakesunday
No it's not a blocklist. It's a clown list.
http://x2t.com/blocklist

Reap

Post by Reap »

Here's a nice podcast where we talk to Lee Moore about TIME mag interest in his 'peace talks'
and I talked to Karla Porter about Melody and internet behavior in general.
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/bbrick ... 42zHov.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I have no problem with that actually. I see it as your issue and not mine. Feel free to disagree though.

I'm not the one pimping that bilious idiocy of a blog post as some kind of serious commentary on women. That's all you sparky. You're the one down with the statement about how the best thing a woman can do for society is have male babies.

I'm just the asshole who pointed it out. How terribly rude of me.
Ahahahahah!

I see now what your problem is. That is pretty funny. You have no sense of humor that is clear.
Of course. It was all a joke. No one's EVER used that dodge.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

rocko2466 wrote:SHUT THAT DOWN TOO, FIDALGO! SHUT THAT DOWN TOO!

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/e ... r_it/P150/

OMFG ... we know Fidalgo is a little bit taken with Melody ... but OMFG seriously ... the CFI shut down comments on two posts on their site ... OMFG

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

People will recall I brought this to your attention earlier, about Razib Khan, Diamond and the Cultural Anthropologists: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 226#p62226

Well, somewhat related to l'affaire Chagnon and the Yanomami, also spelled Yanomama (and which spelling you use places you in one camp or the other).

John Horgan claims that he was warned with words to the effect "that is a nice career you have there, shame if something happened to it" by no less than:
I was still working on my review of Darkness when I received emails from five prominent scholars: Richard Dawkins, Edward Wilson, Steven Pinker, Daniel Dennett and Marc Hauser. Although each wrote separately, the emails were obviously coordinated. All had learned (none said exactly how, although I suspected via a friend of mine with whom I discussed my review) that I was reviewing Darkness for the Times. Warning that a positive review might ruin my career, the group urged me either to denounce Darkness or to withdraw as a reviewer.
Whoa!!!

Read the whole thing here:
The Weird Irony at the Heart of the Napoleon Chagnon Affair
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cro ... on-affair/

Before you do though:
Chagnon reiterated this view when I interviewed him for “The New Social Darwinists,” a critique of evolutionary psychology published in Scientific American in October 1995. He said he was disturbed at the degree to which some sociobiologists and evolutionary psychologists downplayed the role of culture in human behavior. I said he sounded like Stephen Jay Gould, a vehement critic of genetic explanations of human behavior. I meant to goad Chagnon with the comparison, but he embraced it. “Steve Gould and I probably agree on a lot of things,” Chagnon said.
Unless you are a Biologist (and I am not),I suggest you do yourself a favour and throw everything that Gould ever had to say into the recycling bin. You might be safe with things like "Punctuated equilibrium" but if you are not a Biologist, how the fuck are you going to be able to tell when Gould was lying his ass off or not?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Franc - I know you stop by, even if you don't post. Love the latest Grey Lining.

Sacha - where the fuck is your parrot avatar?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Submariner wrote:Can I haz a Pit Glyph too plz??
Yeah, why not?
scan0002.png
Subkin
(11.89 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

welch wrote: Of course. It was all a joke. No one's EVER used that dodge.
Oh FFS! Nope. I’m not. Sheesh! Looks like I have confused the fuck out of ya!
Women of enormous intelligence can do one thing that benefits everybody: pass it on. Have children. Preferably male children.
You can read that as a joke, but on the other hand what she says is not controversial to me. Also, I am sorry if I hurt your feeling by laughing at you. But I have to confess, your response was pretty funny (to me anyway) and yes I do see why you think I was saying it was a joke.

So let me try to clear this up, and tough tittys on your hurt fee fees if you have them.

Sex and psychology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_intelligence

Intelligence quotient
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient
http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc. ... oc&id=8217

But there is much more to it than the above. For one, the whole notion of IQ and the tests, how they are administered and scored, not to mention how they are normailzed between sex differences is not without controversy. You can GoogleFu that yourself.

But Wait! There is more!

Heritability of IQ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_IQ

Anyway, assuming you skipped the previous links:
Academics in the UK claim their research shows that men are more intelligent than women.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/educ ... 183166.stm
There were twice as many men with IQ scores of 125, for example, a level said to correspond with people getting first-class degrees.

At scores of 155, associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman.
Of course, this did not go down well in certain quarters. From the same article:
Earlier this year, the president of Harvard University, Lawrence Summers, sparked controversy when he suggested at a seminar that one reason men outperformed women in maths and science was genetics.

Several guests walked out of the conference after hearing the comments.

Dr Summers, who has apologised repeatedly for his remarks, said later that the shortage of senior female academics was partly caused by child-minding duties, which restricted working hours.
Talk about "double down" and "stop digging when you are already in a hole" Bwahahaha! His ass was grass among the PC crowd.

Understand what Judgy Bitch was saying now?
Women of enormous intelligence can do one thing that benefits everybody: pass it on. Have children. Preferably male children.
(and lots of them also because "regression to the mean", implies that most of her kids will be of average IQ male or female)

Now, my twisted sense of humor dictates that I am going to present evidence that people do not agree. So who do I choose? Why our very own Satoshi Kanazawa!!! Taaa Daaa!

This is the guy that everyone had made fun of at one point or the other, and who is generally (and credibly) held up as an example of what is wrong with EvoPsy. If you want to take a shot on EvoPsy as a field, look no further than Kanazawa.

However, he argued here :
Why Men Are More Intelligent Than Women
Or are they?
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... gent-women
Published on January 18, 2009 by Satoshi Kanazawa in The Scientific Fundamentalist

The answer is: They aren’t.

The orthodoxy in intelligence research for the second half of the 20th century had been that men and women had the same average intelligence, but men had greater variance in their distribution than women. Most geniuses were men, and most imbeciles were men, they said, while most women were in the normal range. This conclusion, however, was manufactured out of political expediency. Not wanting to discover, or a priori denying, any sex differences in intelligence, psychometricians simply deleted from the standardized IQ tests any item on which the performance of men and women differed.
Hence the statement that women are more "conservative" than men, not only in IQ but also in being religious (but we can do that one another day)

But anyway, clearly he did not agree that there were differences in IQ between the sexes then.

However,

Later on he did a paper with Richard Lynn!!!
A longitudinal study of sex differences in intelligence at ages 7, 11 and 16 years
http://personal.lse.ac.uk/Kanazawa/pdfs/PAID2011.pdf
Available online 7 May 201
This paper presents the results of a longitudinal study of sex differences in intelligence as a test of
Lynn’s (1994) hypothesis that from the age of 16 years males develop higher average intelligence than females.
The results show that at the ages of 7 and 11 years girls have an IQ advantage of approximately 1 IQ point,
but at the age of 16 years this changes in the same boys and girls to an IQ advantage of 1.8 IQ points for
boys
So between 2009 and 2011 perhaps he changed his mind? I dunno about that guy.

Funny stuff all the same. Google Satoshi Kanazawa to get an idea about some of his antics and the hot water he found himself in.

Of course there is more. Pay attention to where the study was taken. Because there seems to be some indications that in certain countries, the reverse is true, and the women generally speaking, have a higher IQ on average than than the men. But we can also leave that one for another day.

Michael K Gray

Tales of Harriet's Shirts

Post by Michael K Gray »

Of course, Spike Milligan was on top of this T-shirt-gate; "shirts as weapons of war" phenomenon before most of us were born.
First broadcast on December 31, 1959
German:
Achtung, gentlemen! Be seated. We must have a halt on our war memoirs and go to war! Our scientists have just invented a liquid that will win ze war. This chemical, when applied to the tail of a miltary [presumably including Air Force Colonel's shirts] soldier shirt, is tasteless, colourless, and odourless.

Second German (Eccles?):
What good is that on the tail of a shirt, hein?

German:
The moment the wearer sits down, the heat from his body causes the chemical to hexplode. This way, the soldier will be neutralized.

Second German:
He'll be worse than that.

Third German:
Is einer wonderschon, Gerhimmeler!

German:
Speak English, you fool. There are no sub-titles in this scene. Now zen, this is my plan of attack.

Second German:
It looks like a nail.

German:
No, it's a tack. Ho ho ho ho. Thank you. Who said we Germans haven't a sense of humour?

Second German:
Just about everybody, I tink.

German:
Oberlieutenant Schatz!

Second German:
Wha?

German:
You will take ten men, each one carrying a spray-gun full of the exploding shirt-tail fluid. You will be dropped near Leicester and there you will gain entrance to the Great British Military Shirt Factory. The rest is up to you. We shall call the plan "Operation Burnbaum".

Orchestra:
[German chords]

Greenslade:
The effect of this deadly plan was soon felt.

FX:
[Explosion]

Bloodnok:
Ohooooohooooo!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tigzy wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote: Yes, it was Will, but it has the fanny print of Queen Bee all over it.
Will, with the fanny print of Rebecca Watson all over him.
No...not going there...
If there were more than one fanny print, that would make him the Fanny Prince. (Prints? Oh well, please yourself.)

Oh. "fanny" means "CUNT" in the Colonies.

Michael J

Re: Steve Novella

Post by Michael J »

Maximus wrote:
Michael J wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Lapsang Souchong wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Steven Novella chimes in to the Harriet Hall threat with a bit of a slapdown for Rebecca - pointing out that there are many posts on Skepchick blog using exactly the same language that the SJW and Watson are using to criticize Hall.

He should be careful.
She might kick him off the 'Skepchicks Guide to the Universe'
Gwod, wouldn't it be nice if she gets pissed with Novella and flounces from SGU? I'd love to be able to listen to that podcast without being subjected to her annoying voice.
I don't mind her voice, it's her repugnant dismissive attitude that puts me off. I really stopped listening 6 months ago when I found out about all the crazy going on, and it not being addressed on the show (lie of omission?). It's like ignoring that your priests are molesting kids because they don't do it "in" the church. (Yes, yes an exageration, but hopefully people get the point) I mean how can you have one of your co-hosts causing all sorts of crazy drama, and not address it?

People a bunch of pages back were commenting on AronRa, about how he was 'staying out of it', and good for him. I disagree, avoiding the conversation does nothing to help solve the problem. Hopefully AronRa and Steve Novella get more involved. The only way to get past all this crap is to have the conversations, and not have high minded people stay out of it, because well it so petty.
I think that they are better out of it. I think that the majority of skeptics and atheists don't really care about or are bored by the whole mess. A few years ago I heard that SGU gets 50k downloads for each episode. They may get a lot of emails at the moment from people wanting him to dump RW but I am sure that they would get a load more if they started to buy into this stuff.

This isn't a split in the movement it is a small bubble of particularly noisy SJWs and if I was a Name in the movement I'd ignore the whole mess and just respond when they take something I say out of context.
What would be your response to the old quote that 'all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing'?
Atheism isn't a Country or a Nation and has no assets. We aren't forced to read their blogs or go to their conferences. These guys will get defeated merely by their audiences moving on.

The slymepit is helping the speed up their self destruction. I think that the hardest thing for the Slymepitters is that the smarter FTBers will suddenly stop pushing the rad-fem, rediscover Skepticism, get buddy buddy with Shermer and the rest again and when pushed blame the pit for all the troubles

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Michael J wrote:I think that the hardest thing for the Slymepitters is that the smarter FTBers will suddenly stop pushing the rad-fem, rediscover Skepticism, get buddy buddy with Shermer and the rest again and when pushed blame the pit for all the troubles
And that a "bad thing" somehow?
Our goal, from the very outset, has been to eliminate the hypocrisy-as-a-business-model that these clowns employ.
If "we" get "blamed" for that sea-change, then I am all for accepting said blame!
It is akin to "blaming" a physician for curing one of a nasty disease.

acathode

Post by acathode »

welch wrote:She's a New Media Douchebag. One of her Google Search agents, the ones looking for "skepchicks" and all variants returned a hit, and so she capitalized on that.

Will now has another post up about harriet hall, and we can probably expect more from the other skepchicks on this. In doing so, complete with plenty of links to various other articles, (unlike the FTB idiots, Rebecca does know how Google works), Will's article is now one of the first results for "harriet hall gender" in Google.

What was going through her head? The same thing that is *always* going through her head: "How can I make this benefit me?"
Well, sure, but that was kinda what I was trying to ask, how does the vapid crap she posted benefit her? Or at least, how did she think that that it would?

I'm new to the "new media douchebags", I don't get how alienating people who've not kept up with the blogosphere drama shit-storm is going to help her. Judging by the comments on Hall's blog, quite a few of her readers fall into that category, ie. intelligent, mature people interested in skepticism who have little time to keep track of blogdrama, and quite a few of them seemed to find Waton's comment rather shitty.
I don't see how that benefits Watson, for one thing, her "woe me" speaking gig relies quite heavily on that the big majority of the A/S community not thinking of her as a giant snarky douchebag. What did she get out of that comment, except adding to the pile of people not liking her (but aren't ever going to post anything close to a "rape threat")?

Blog hits? Google-poisoning (google bombing? I don't know the correct term)? Just getting attention?

ps. I have to say I find it utterly hilarious to see the SJWs that show up to defend Watson or accuse Hall of being sexist, ignorant, etc getting badly schooled at their own word-police game by the other commentators when their own obvious ageism, sexism, etc is pointed out. They've gotten so used to getting a pass from their own in-group when they themselves fail to live up to the rigorous moral standards they want everyone else to live up to, that when they get called out on their obvious hypocrisy they just don't know what to do.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

katamari Damassi wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:After Rebecca implied she wasn't taking much notice of Hall, she has to post one last post, allowing her minions to try and recast the role of bully. Here, we see Queen Bee's drones react with horror at the realisation Hall wore a shirt with a funny message on it. OH, THE INSOLENCE!!!

PS - Having a dog as his avatar doesn't make Jack99 any less of a complete shistain.
I've noticed that the SJWs love Eddie Izzard(Marilove's avatar)or at least find him one of the few acceptable comedians. Anyone know why that is? I couldn't make through Dressed to Kill.
You shitting me? Watch this:

[youtube]x1sQkEfAdfY[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Lsuoma wrote:Franc - I know you stop by, even if you don't post. Love the latest Grey Lining.

franc's post on Melody Hensley is great, detailed & thorough as usual: http://greylining.com/2013/02/21/melody ... or-cfi-dc/

BarnOwl, thanks for including a zebra ass in your last round!

Justin, looks like PZ and Marilove are both going to WiS2 (PZ has a post about it, and I think I saw Marilove mention it in comments at Skepchick that someone here linked or capped here for another reason w/in the last day). I would say wear your bulletproof vest but I don't actually think you're at risk of physical violence. "Wear your thickest skin" if you have a couple different sets; the

WiS2's "Early Bird" registration goes till March 15th, but the Student Registrations are already sold out http://www.womeninsecularism.org/; I don't think I've ever seen a conference sell out of student registrations in the past (though if the conference is supposed to break even, it'd be prudent to cap the lower-price registrations). Would be interesting to see how many people are registered in each of the categories: speakers (who wouldn't be asked to pay; the list is relatively long), students 9# now apparently capped), CFI members, and full-fare registrants.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:After Rebecca implied she wasn't taking much notice of Hall, she has to post one last post, allowing her minions to try and recast the role of bully. Here, we see Queen Bee's drones react with horror at the realisation Hall wore a shirt with a funny message on it. OH, THE INSOLENCE!!!

PS - Having a dog as his avatar doesn't make Jack99 any less of a complete shistain.
I've noticed that the SJWs love Eddie Izzard(Marilove's avatar)or at least find him one of the few acceptable comedians. Anyone know why that is? I couldn't make through Dressed to Kill.

I see what you did there.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I'm still wading through Harriett's comment section from her previous post http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... t-critics/

And I just had a facepalm moment:
To use language that further identifies trans people as “other” and to take away their identities by not addressing them or to reduce them to a set of genitals or chromosomes is violence against trans people.
(Underline mine)

I have to ask: da fuck???

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Michael J wrote:I think that the hardest thing for the Slymepitters is that the smarter FTBers will suddenly stop pushing the rad-fem, rediscover Skepticism, get buddy buddy with Shermer and the rest again and when pushed blame the pit for all the troubles
Our goal, from the very outset, has been to eliminate the hypocrisy-as-a-business-model that these clowns employ.
If "we" get "blamed" for that sea-change, then I am all for accepting said blame!
Yeah, that sounds like a great situation. If they stop pushing the rad-fem and SJW wank, we'd all have to find our lulz somewhere else.

windy

Post by windy »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Ogvorbis who is apparently still deeply troubled by his abuse at the hands of hid scoutmaster 30 years ago.

Ogborvis
"I have someone that, if things get too bad (I (fifteen or so years ago) attempted suicide so I do have some idea where that line is), I can tallk to. I am just scared shitless of talking to anyone about this outside of the pseudonymous presence on line. I know what I did. I suspect what I did. And this is shit that is beyond the pale of acceptable."

Someone else
"I have no doubt that he suffered the trauma of child rape, but I also remember the Satanic ritual abuse thing of the 1980s, which produced extremely vivid false memories for the victims"
Someone had to say it...

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Michael K Gray wrote:
PZ's positive spin on TAM is interesting. I can't see how PZ could have had dinner with Randi and Watson not come up in conversation. Also no mention of the Harriet Hall article.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

AndrewV69 wrote:People will recall I brought this to your attention earlier, about Razib Khan, Diamond and the Cultural Anthropologists: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 226#p62226

Well, somewhat related to l'affaire Chagnon and the Yanomami, also spelled Yanomama (and which spelling you use places you in one camp or the other).

John Horgan claims that he was warned with words to the effect "that is a nice career you have there, shame if something happened to it" by no less than:
I was still working on my review of Darkness when I received emails from five prominent scholars: Richard Dawkins, Edward Wilson, Steven Pinker, Daniel Dennett and Marc Hauser. Although each wrote separately, the emails were obviously coordinated. All had learned (none said exactly how, although I suspected via a friend of mine with whom I discussed my review) that I was reviewing Darkness for the Times. Warning that a positive review might ruin my career, the group urged me either to denounce Darkness or to withdraw as a reviewer.
Whoa!!!

Read the whole thing here:
The Weird Irony at the Heart of the Napoleon Chagnon Affair
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cro ... on-affair/

Before you do though:
Chagnon reiterated this view when I interviewed him for “The New Social Darwinists,” a critique of evolutionary psychology published in Scientific American in October 1995. He said he was disturbed at the degree to which some sociobiologists and evolutionary psychologists downplayed the role of culture in human behavior. I said he sounded like Stephen Jay Gould, a vehement critic of genetic explanations of human behavior. I meant to goad Chagnon with the comparison, but he embraced it. “Steve Gould and I probably agree on a lot of things,” Chagnon said.
Unless you are a Biologist (and I am not),I suggest you do yourself a favour and throw everything that Gould ever had to say into the recycling bin. You might be safe with things like "Punctuated equilibrium" but if you are not a Biologist, how the fuck are you going to be able to tell when Gould was lying his ass off or not?
I call fucking bullshit on it.
Evidcence mother fuckers!

And also:
I responded that I could not discuss a review with them prior to publication. (Only Dennett persisted in questioning my intentions, and I finally had to tell him, rudely, to leave me alone. I am reconstructing these exchanges from memory; I did not print them out.)
Hey geinus, you don't have to reconstruct emails from memory. You can just go and fucking read them again.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Michael J wrote:PZ's positive spin on TAM is interesting. I can't see how PZ could have had dinner with Randi and Watson not come up in conversation. Also no mention of the Harriet Hall article.
That makes zero sense to me.
Is it an hypothetical, or a real ocurrence?
(Or some random remark?)

FYI: I know from experience that PZ is a totally different person in real life. I mean: face-to-face potential confrontations.
He acts like a wimpish puppy-dog when confronted with even minor criticism in real life, rolling over all innocent-like, saying 'tickle my tummy'! "Don't scold me for shitting on your rug or I'll wimper & whine and make you look bad for maltreating a dumb animal."
What? Myers Worry?
http://www.leconcombre.com/concpost/us/ ... neuman.jpg
(Yes SN, I know!)

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Skep tickle wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Franc - I know you stop by, even if you don't post. Love the latest Grey Lining.

franc's post on Melody Hensley is great, detailed & thorough as usual: http://greylining.com/
Another website blocked on O2 (UK mobile company, their block list is handled by bango who I think perform filtering for many other companies) as "adult content". I've not read much on Grey Lining, but unless something there was actually illegal or age-restricted (i.e. not just words) then it seems likely that this is a deliberate campaign to censor people. More concerning is the prospect that some countries might decide to filter their Internet connections nationally in the next few years - I don't see those systems being any less vulnerable to abuse than this one is.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

@AndrewV69

The problem with IQ research is that it's not science yet. It's science-like and they use modern tools but it's the modern equivalent of phrenology, i.e., studying skulls to determine intelligence. Sure you can use the best measurements to study skulls, their volume and the minute and hereditary differences between skulls but it won't turn it into a "science of intelligence". Similarly, IQ research so far is bullshit since we don't even have an accepted definition of IQ, not to mention that there is not hard evidence for "g" factor. Until you can present really convincing evidence, it is all bullshit.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Grrr. In my reading as of late, I'm finding more and more articles/posts on people (feminists and their "white knights") being all bent out of shape over the lack of the female voice within different fields/topics. For whatever reason, many people tend to attribute this to sexism and the patriarchy. Even more discouraging is that these people don't even bother to think of reasons *other* than sexism or patriarchy. I'd love to see other feedback on this. I'm not saying "it's the nature of the female" but I do think there are some inherent traits that led themselves towards women not being so vocal in various fields/topics. Thoughts?
To be honest I don't think so. At the job I am not allowed to talk about, there are generally a mix of public speakers who are male and female when it comes to presentations on different subjects - either internally or at external conferences in the arena. It is a profession that attracts relatively similar amounts of men and women (it's a very diverse workforce in terms of the *work*) so this seems a fair reflection of it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Get all those people from all "sides" around a table, and this fuckfest will be resolved in half an hour. Even more if there's a nice pint for each and everyone.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Jonathan wrote:
Altair wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
Jonathan wrote: What the hell is "alternate form"?
They transform into a car, or airplane...it depends.
But are they Autobot or Decepticon. That's the real question. And don't even get me started on the other variants.
So that means we get Trans-Formers and Cis-Formers :think: ?
I was thinking Predacon, Maximal etc but that's much funnier. Well done, xir.
Cis-formers = Action Masters!

Michael K Gray

MAD Scented Nectar

Post by Michael K Gray »

Your copy of the MAD DVD is but one step away from submission.
I have yet to be busy enough to justify wasting my time on completing the sleeve-box for the DVD and "fold-out" container.
M'Lud, if it pleases the court, I present evidence that my client has not been wasting (puts on bifocals and reads charge-sheet) one "Scanted Nactar's" valuable patience.
Exhibit Q.
(Did I say Q? I meant exhibit B. Sorry M'lud, oh! M'Lady! I stayed up late with the learned Counsel:- Bar-ister Beccy Watson discussing important matters of international jurisprudence as relates to what con-artists do for a living)
Forensic Exhibit B:
The original is on the left, and the rip-off that the defendant is proposed to accept as stolen goods is on the right, in both cases.
(No Judge Judy. Your OTHER left.)
DCP_3186.JPG
Missionary position Accomplished!
(68.67 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
I wonder what fly-boy Welch has to say about the accuracy of the helmet?

And exhibit Q: (Damn. There I go again)
DCP_3188.JPG
(66.7 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

They said "gay". Stone them!

[youtube]32bVUFshSAo[/youtube]

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:At the job I am not allowed to talk about, there are generally a mix of public speakers who are male and female when it comes to presentations on different subjects - either internally or at external conferences in the arena.
Lemme guess: Elevator maintenance?
Getting warm?

Michael K Gray

Re: PZ has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Get all those people from all "sides" around a table, and this fuckfest will be resolved in half an hour. Even more if there's a nice pint for each and everyone.
Not true.
I have tried it in person with PZ.
He just "plays" dumb, and acquires acute amnesia.
And then he lets his crowd of buzzing monkeys do his work in his favour.
Done it twice with him.
Not around a table, admittedly, but standing in front of several tables.
Tabula Rasa.
Sans beer-stain rings.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

I would expect PZ to respond in the same manner as he did in the Google hangouts with C0nc0rdance and TheSkeptical Heretic.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Trophy wrote:@AndrewV69

The problem with IQ research is that it's not science yet. It's science-like and they use modern tools but it's the modern equivalent of phrenology, i.e., studying skulls to determine intelligence. Sure you can use the best measurements to study skulls, their volume and the minute and hereditary differences between skulls but it won't turn it into a "science of intelligence". Similarly, IQ research so far is bullshit since we don't even have an accepted definition of IQ, not to mention that there is not hard evidence for "g" factor. Until you can present really convincing evidence, it is all bullshit.
I doubt it is complete bullshit but time will tell. Another thing though, we did eventually discard phrenology, so if something better than IQ comes along, I see no reason to believe we would not do the same.

It looks to me that I did not go far enough to clearly indicate the scope of the issues though, seeing as you appeared to think it needful to state the above. But the next time it comes up I might put more effort into it instead of just saying this:
But there is much more to it than the above. For one, the whole notion of IQ and the tests, how they are administered and scored, not to mention how they are normailzed between sex differences is not without controversy. You can GoogleFu that yourself.
When I use weasel words, I usually have a good reason.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Get all those people from all "sides" around a table, and this fuckfest will be resolved in half an hour. Even more if there's a nice pint for each and everyone.
Not true.
Done it twice with him.
Tabula Rasa.
Sans beer-stain rings.

That's your problem right there. No table, no beer.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

masakari2012 wrote:I would expect PZ to respond in the same manner as he did in the Google hangouts with C0nc0rdance and TheSkeptical Heretic.
Yeh, that was a waste of time. If someone is willing to say whatever they want irrespective of facts they have lost any credibility and good faith they had.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Michael K Gray wrote:
rayshul wrote:At the job I am not allowed to talk about, there are generally a mix of public speakers who are male and female when it comes to presentations on different subjects - either internally or at external conferences in the arena.
Lemme guess: Elevator maintenance?
Getting warm?
That's it.

We're big coffee drinkers. And sharers.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:That's your problem right there. No table, no beer.
Oh, there was beer aplenty the second time.
It was in the Hilton bar on the Yarra river², in the same Plaza as the GAC 2012.
PZ, Krauss¹, I, and other noted Aussie septics would gravitate to it as though it were a black hole, or strange attractor.
PZ would then hold court, and regale his sycophants, never paying for a drink, as far as I could discern.
The first thing that I asked (demanded) of him was to buy me a pint.
He prevaricated for a while and then changed the subject. The cunt.
No beer?
Only in a philosophical sense.

I then conversed with the likes of the ratbag Peter Bowditch famed of his column in the journal "Australasian Science", and cetera. Far more sane company. Peter even bought me a beer.
I trust that one might judge that, as an Aussie, I prefer Peter's style over that of PZ.

In the words of Hamlet: To Beer or not to Beer? That is not even a frigging question Horatio!

windy

Re: Hall's blog

Post by windy »

CommanderTuvok wrote: New post up at Hall's blog from Cpt. Janeway!
This (in the earlier comment) was just perfect:
"So I let others argue over it while I moved on to more interesting things."

Really? Like what?
:clap:

Unfortunately the same can't be said for Steerstwat's trolling in that thread.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Michael J wrote:PZ's positive spin on TAM is interesting. I can't see how PZ could have had dinner with Randi and Watson not come up in conversation. Also no mention of the Harriet Hall article.
That makes zero sense to me.
Is it an hypothetical, or a real ocurrence?
(Or some random remark?)

FYI: I know from experience that PZ is a totally different person in real life. I mean: face-to-face potential confrontations.
He acts like a wimpish puppy-dog when confronted with even minor criticism in real life, rolling over all innocent-like, saying 'tickle my tummy'! "Don't scold me for shitting on your rug or I'll wimper & whine and make you look bad for maltreating a dumb animal."
What? Myers Worry?
http://www.leconcombre.com/concpost/us/ ... neuman.jpg
(Yes SN, I know!)
Do you mean having dinner with Randi and being positive about TAM yes that is real.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -up-again/

It may be nothing but it does seem to be change in behaviour from his form over the last couple of years. It would be a smart move as well with a book coming out.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Michael J wrote:Do you mean having dinner with Randi and being positive about TAM yes that is real.
You explicitly said Randi AND Watson!
Evience, please?

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Trophy wrote:@AndrewV69

The main problem is overstating the results. The WISC doesn't measure "g" (which has several different definitions, and WISC was more 'anti' than 'pro' g), but 'g' can be inferred from some statistical analyses of the various sub-tests. But that just makes 'g' a statisical construct (or operational definition if you're a glutton for punishment), not necessarily anything to do with what is ordianarily called "intelligence".

Since the WISC is a standardised test, meaning it compares a given score with a large number of other people who took the same test, there is nothing in principle wrong with comparing the results provided that is all the results are taken to mean and no more.

If the test was standardised against US schoolkids of the 1950's, and a testee scores higher or lower, then that's all the result means - you scored higher than an average US school kid of that era (which is why the tests have to be re-standardised every so often, and non-US school kids get asked questions involving "nickels and dimes").

So the new testee scored better or worse than the test group. How does that relate to intelligence? Depends on your theory of intelligence. If you accept that the WISC score is a direct measure (even with caveats about the need to re-standardise for different groups or times), then off you go. But the test itself shows nothing about the validity of the theory and the results are merely (here we go again) an operational definition.

In any case "there is a difference in WISC scores" is not the same as "there is a difference intelligence" unless you also accept that the WISC (or any other test) is a measure (in the sense that an electricity meter measures electricity) of intelligence. Too often, users of the intelligence test data conflate two, but leave the assumptions of the theory of intelligence unstated and untested.

That's not to say that IQ tests don't give some indication of "intelligence" in the ordinary sense of the word but, to the extent that they do, it is likely to have more to do with the selection of test materials than anything else. That is, if a common notion of 'intelligence' is 'can solve hard sums' and 'hard sums' are included in the test then, not surprisingly, people scoring high on the test will appear more 'intelligent' to those who think 'intelligence' and 'hard sums' are positively related. But that, I shudder to say, begs the question of what intelligence is.

I'd like to go /didact but fuck it, I'm such a wanker.

yes, yes, tee hee I said 'but fuck' :P

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Michael J wrote:Do you mean having dinner with Randi and being positive about TAM yes that is real.
You explicitly said Randi AND Watson!
Evience, please?
Sorry mistyped. I meant only Randi. Watson whole existence is drama.

AnonymousCowherd

rayshul wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Grrr. In my reading as of late, I'm finding more and more articles/posts on people (feminists and their "white knights") being all bent out of shape over the lack of the female voice within different fields/topics. For whatever reason, many people tend to attribute this to sexism and the patriarchy. Even more discouraging is that these people don't even bother to think of reasons *other* than sexism or patriarchy. I'd love to see other feedback on this. I'm not saying "it's the nature of the female" but I do think there are some inherent traits that led themselves towards women not being so vocal in various fields/topics. Thoughts?
To be honest I don't think so. At the job I am not allowed to talk about, there are generally a mix of public speakers who are male and female when it comes to presentations on different subjects - either internally or at external conferences in the arena. It is a profession that attracts relatively similar amounts of men and women (it's a very diverse workforce in terms of the *work*) so this seems a fair reflection of it.
I agree with the idea of looking for other reasons than patriarchy to explain the differential in male/female participation in a given area, because if it doesn't involve the overthrow of western civilisation as we know it, then there might be something that a supervisor or policy advisor could realistically do about it in finite time.

The problem is not even with "nature vs nuture" (as someone up thread says. they both won). The question is how mutable are the characteristics of people, irrespective of the source of those characteristics? We may think that "biology is more likely to be destiny" because we think social structures are somehow easy to change. That's clearly what the SJWs imagine, even if they won't actually do the work required to accomplish that. But with better drugs and better techniques for controlling, say, genetic expression emerging every day, why assume that "social is easier to change" especially since much evidence shows that it just isn't easier, despite the SJW phantasies of putting the reactionaries up against the wall after the revolution.

And no,I'm not saying only the red pills will solve all problems, just that 'the' pill probably had more influence on women's (and men's) lives than most social movements.

AnonymousCowherd

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:That's your problem right there. No table, no beer.
Oh, there was beer aplenty the second time.
It was in the Hilton bar on the Yarra river², in the same Plaza as the GAC 2012.
PZ, Krauss¹, I, and other noted Aussie septics would gravitate to it as though it were a black hole, or strange attractor.
PZ would then hold court, and regale his sycophants, never paying for a drink, as far as I could discern.
The first thing that I asked (demanded) of him was to buy me a pint.
He prevaricated for a while and then changed the subject. The cunt.
No beer?
Only in a philosophical sense.

I then conversed with the likes of the ratbag Peter Bowditch famed of his column in the journal "Australasian Science", and cetera. Far more sane company. Peter even bought me a beer.
I trust that one might judge that, as an Aussie, I prefer Peter's style over that of PZ.

In the words of Hamlet: To Beer or not to Beer? That is not even a frigging question Horatio!

Weirdly, that makes me angrier than anything so far about him. You can't get much lower than that. Anti-egalitarian scum. I've had rounds with ex-prominent politicians and judges and only one of them expected the lessor mortals to feed them beers - oddly enough a supposedly very left wing type who let people with one fifth of his income pay for his drinks and then walked when it was his round. He was justifiably hated ever after by the assembled company.

windy

Post by windy »

AnonymousCowherd wrote: I agree with the idea of looking for other reasons than patriarchy to explain the differential in male/female participation in a given area, because if it doesn't involve the overthrow of western civilisation as we know it, then there might be something that a supervisor or policy advisor could realistically do about it in finite time.

The problem is not even with "nature vs nuture" (as someone up thread says. they both won). The question is how mutable are the characteristics of people, irrespective of the source of those characteristics? We may think that "biology is more likely to be destiny" because we think social structures are somehow easy to change. That's clearly what the SJWs imagine, even if they won't actually do the work required to accomplish that.
Very good points. Unbeknownst to many and to SJWs in particular, Dawkins, that arch-sexist privileged old white man, has done a great debunking of the "biology is destiny" argument in The Extended Phenotype ("Genetic Determinism and Gene Selectionism".)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Skep tickle wrote:

franc's post on Melody Hensley is great, detailed & thorough as usual: http://greylining.com/2013/02/21/melody ... or-cfi-dc/
Excellent stuff. I believe there's an analysis of Svan's writing - similar to what he did with Ophelia - in the pipeline too. Looking forward to that - Svan has always struck me not just as one of the nastier baboons, but one of the oddest, too, particularly in the way she always tries to defend the indefensible in the case of Laden.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Skep tickle wrote:Aaaand capitulate it is! But that's not enough for Kassiane, who breaks out the training bit to put in his mouth:
Re: British family told to send daughter to Hindu school
Post by Kassiane » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:21 am
hyperdeath wrote:I withdraw my previous comment. I wasn't distinguishing between racism in the vernacular sense, and racism as a sociological term.

To clarify, when I said that "reverse racism" exists, I meant so in the vernacular sense. I certainly don't believe (and I apologize for implying) that institutionalized reverse racism exists.
Isn't I&A the place for getting all that "reverse racism" vernacular bullshit out of people's systems? This is in theory an advanced, or at least intermediate, sociological space. It's a given that people are using the sociological definition!

Not to continue the derail train, but I mean really. That's not even 101. That's remedial.
So they have outer party forums, inner party forums, and anybody who doesn't behave gets sent to room 101

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Just noticed this:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 5&start=25
Dearest Wind;

Fuck off and die.

That goes for both you and your informaint. You are trampling upon the personal security and safety of the people who relied on that secret forum as a place to share delicate and personal information, which you were not added to due to being as trustworthy with people's emotions as a Nigerian prince, and you are doing so because you are so self absorbed that you think that the existence of a forum that you cannot see means that everyone there is telling juicy gossip about you.
Isn't using "Nigerian Prince" as a byword for untrustworthy, kind of racist by the standards of A+?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

EdgePenguin wrote:Just noticed this:

Dearest Wind;

Fuck off and die.

That goes for both you and your informaint. You are trampling upon the personal security and safety of the people who relied on that secret forum as a place to share delicate and personal information, which you were not added to due to being as trustworthy with people's emotions as a Nigerian prince, and you are doing so because you are so self absorbed that you think that the existence of a forum that you cannot see means that everyone there is telling juicy gossip about you.
Isn't using "Nigerian Prince" as a byword for untrustworthy, kind of racist by the standards of A+?
I enjoy how they're still lying to wind regarding people gossiping about her on the secret forum.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

windy wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote: I agree with the idea of looking for other reasons than patriarchy to explain the differential in male/female participation in a given area, because if it doesn't involve the overthrow of western civilisation as we know it, then there might be something that a supervisor or policy advisor could realistically do about it in finite time.

The problem is not even with "nature vs nuture" (as someone up thread says. they both won). The question is how mutable are the characteristics of people, irrespective of the source of those characteristics? We may think that "biology is more likely to be destiny" because we think social structures are somehow easy to change. That's clearly what the SJWs imagine, even if they won't actually do the work required to accomplish that.
Very good points. Unbeknownst to many and to SJWs in particular, Dawkins, that arch-sexist privileged old white man, has done a great debunking of the "biology is destiny" argument in The Extended Phenotype ("Genetic Determinism and Gene Selectionism".)
Even though there are biological differences between the genders, I don't think there's many people in the skeptical movement who think that said differences should be the "destiny" for any given individual. Not at all. I'm sure there's some, to be honest as there always will be. People who are looking for perfection are always going to be disappointment.

The sad thing is that the SJW movement often acts in a fashion where they do believe that culture is destiny (rape culture, privilege theory, etc.). To be honest I don't think that's any better than the belief that biology is destiny. Again, it explains why they often act in a sexist/racist fashion.

welch

Post by welch »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Not true.
Done it twice with him.
Tabula Rasa.
Sans beer-stain rings.
Of course he does that. He enshrined it as rule six. He's talked about it proudly on more than one occasion. He's a coward, no more, no less. Well, rather a lot less, but still a coward. It's why he handles perceived power so well

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

@AndrewV69

Well, complete bullshit maybe a bit too strong. At any rate, this article levels a very strong criticism again some common claims that are associated with IQ research.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:

Pas mal, mais pas hilarant. Au moins J'ai pu practiquer mon ecoute francaises.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

EdgePenguin wrote:Just noticed this:

Dearest Wind;

Fuck off and die.

One rule for them, etc, etc. However, on the subject of wind (who goes by the name "incognito" here on the 'Pit), it really shouldn't matter whether was an informer or not (wind says there wasn't one), they were still lying to him/her.

Besides, they really should've guessed with the amount of special flowers in that clique, a "secret forum" where other members can allegedly talk trash behind their back would probably not sit well with their frail egos.