Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Old subthreads
Steersman

Re: Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I notice Massimo Pigliucci will be at TAM this year.

I'm surprised that the 'Axis of Weevil' didn't pick up on him for his recent article in Aeon Magazine when he had some not particularly nice things to say about feminist science.

http://www.aeonmagazine.com/world-views ... nsilience/
Throughout the 1990s, postmodernist, deconstructionist and radical feminist authors (the likes of Michel Foucault, Jacques Derrida, Bruno Latour and Sandra Harding) wrote all sorts of nonsense about science, clearly without understanding what scientists actually do. The feminist philosopher Harding once boasted: ‘I doubt that in our wildest dreams we ever imagined we would have to reinvent both science and theorising itself'. That’s a striking claim given the dearth of novel results arising from feminist science. The last time I checked, there were no uniquely feminist energy sources on the horizon.
Nice to see Pigliucci in the line-up; and looks like an interesting article by him.

But nice to see him throwing a few well-aimed stones at the more dogmatic versions of feminism – the ones that PZ, in his delusions, would probably call “straw feminists”. Although I think he might have been somewhat uncharitable about the “uniquely feminist energy sources” as I expect some of the more vocal bloviators of the feminine persuasion on FTBs might be profitably put to use turning wind turbines ….

welch

Post by welch »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
welch wrote:{quote]
I guess that's normal? I only ever listened to a few episodes of SGU. What put me off it most was the one after Steve Jobs died, their attitude towards it seemed quite distasteful.

Everyone took cheap shots at Jobs. It was the hip thing to do.
And they did it using the products his company created. Fucking hypocrites.[/quote]

Jobs was not the nicest person, he could be a raging douche, and the list of things he decided that sucked from the IT POV is long indeed. But, he was not the techno-illiterate hitler people want him to be.

welch

Post by welch »

Metalogic42 wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
welch wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Well, the TAM 2013 programme and speaker list is out ... http://www.amazingmeeting.com/

Great to see that not a single Skepchick/FtB person made the list ... and a *very* large number of those they have been attacking did.

Guess we know which side JREF falls on now.
I don't know if it's sides, or they decided that other people should get a chance. I took a look at the speakers, and they all look really good, with names I'd not seen before, always a good sign.
You may not think there are sides ... but I can bet a tidy sum on the fact that the butthurt blogposts from FTB/Skepchick/A+ will be very sure there are sides.
Prediction 1: "Only 11/27 speakers are women!!!"
Prediction 2: "Coyne/Grothe/Hall/Mayhew/Shermer will be there, TAM is so misogynist!!!"
Miranda is speaking as well. OMG CHILL GURLS

mordacious1

TAM

Post by mordacious1 »

Have they released a vendor list? :whistle:

welch

Post by welch »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
welch wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Well, the TAM 2013 programme and speaker list is out ... http://www.amazingmeeting.com/

Great to see that not a single Skepchick/FtB person made the list ... and a *very* large number of those they have been attacking did.

I'd like to go to TAM someday but the travel would be expensive and I am currently broke as all hell. Maybe next year.
Two live tapings of Skeptics Guide to the Universe, featuring Dr. Steve Novella, Jay Novella, Bob Novella, and Evan Bernstein.
I guess that's normal? I only ever listened to a few episodes of SGU. What put me off it most was the one after Steve Jobs died, their attitude towards it seemed quite distasteful.

Everyone took cheap shots at Jobs. It was the hip thing to do.
I'm trying to find the recording or a transcript because I wouldn't want to be unfair (I am really hoping it is the correct podcast too, I'm almost certain it is). From my memory they went through the decisions he made about his treatment quite critically and had the attitude of "Well, how stupid were these decisions? Might he have lived longer if he was smart enough to see through some of the pseudoscientific ideas he bought into?" and I was thinking:
1) People make treatment decisions for reasons other than "this is the optimal choice to live longest"
2) If Jobs really did think he was making the best choices to survive his illness then it should be on the skeptics who care about evidence-based medicine (and why criticise him if you don't?) to ask "How is it that he was hoodwinked in this way? Is there maybe something we can do to stop hundreds of other people making the same mistakes and missing out on getting the best possible treatment?"

To be fair, SBM was reasonably even-handed about it. They pointed out that given what little information was publicly available, while not the most optimal way to go about things, Jobs slide into woo probably did little to adversely affect him. Pancreatic cancer is a motherfucker, and for now, there's little to be done about that.

welch

Post by welch »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Friday 11:00 p.m.

Be forewarned —

This really is Penn’s private party. He’s paying for everything and JREF has nothing to do with it. This party will be whatever Penn wants; it’s not a JREF event.

there will be stupid rock and roll
there will be obscenity
there will be scantily clad people
there will be 1200 Krispy Kreme doughnuts and tons of bacon
you will learn nothing

Everyone at TAM is invited, and it is free to attend. There is a suggested donation to the JREF at the door of $20.00 or more.

Note: This event is neither paid for nor sponsored by the JREF.
Bold mine...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/ ... 850569.jpg

I GET TO WEAR MY THONG!!!

Cupid Stunt

Post by Cupid Stunt »

decius wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote: It is also entirely possible that the usual suspects were in fact invited and and they declined. Meaning this may not be evidence of any of those things.

So... cool your jets I guess, or run the risk of looking quite foolish.
Do you think their endlessly self-promoting ego would allow that?

I have to concur, there is no way any of them would turn down the chance to be the FTB turd in the trifle, a great opportunity to garner as much attention and victimhood points as possible.

decius

Post by decius »

I don't recall the SGU being particularly nasty toward Jobs. To be sure, they didn't compose a eulogy, rather a biography. But they aren't a fucking church.

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:Welch, there's a de-facto divide with consequences. For one thing, DJ is more or less openly fed up with the histrionics of the baboons and this is going to be reflected in his invitation list. Secondly, there are speakers who have made it publicly clear that they won't appear alongside certain divisive figures, or partake to events which feature them. They never changed their mind about it, and if they did, they would do so equally publicly.

This is a baboon-free Tam by design, I'm sure.
that is entirely probable. I'm just saying we shouldn't conclude that sans public evidence to support it.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

KiwiInOz wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: rape by physical action.
Where does sex by coercion (or begging) fit into the concept of rape. I don't mean physical coercion or overt threats, but more emotional blackmail or persistent nagging?
Sorry - didn't mean to imply that Dick wrote that line of text - rather it was an inadequate potted summary of a whole lot of text that he wrote or quoted that I edited for brevity.
Do you mean the list from this blog post?

http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com/20 ... redators/

If so then I don't think begging would count as rape.
They things they described sound like what most people would count as rape. They even gave an example of how drunk someone would be for having sex with them to be considered rape (it was if they are too drunk to remove their own clothes)

I would recommend people to read that post.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Submariner wrote: I for one wish I were able to attend this baboon free TAM.
I wish I could go, but I am to damned poor. Do you think Greta would allow me to set up a Paypal button on her blog? I ould tell her I have cancer...
I hope and (pray?) that this TAM sets record attendance and ends up being noted historically as the coolest TAM ever.
You said it.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Apparently this young lady has got the jewellery concession for this years TAM

http://images.esellerpro.com/2152/I/761 ... ewelry.jpg

:rimshot:

Apples

Post by Apples »

welch wrote:So what happens when you're talking about something that isn't black and white, like oh, I dunno, feminism? What happens when you don't completely agree with Marcotte on every aspect and in every way?

Well, if you're not a highlanderist dipshit, you realize that just like even in "hard" sciences, (like Physics), it is possible for two people to see the same information and walk away with different conclusions or theories. That you can have multiple opinions and theories on something and they don't all have to directly compete with each other. That this is not "two men enter, one man leaves" shit.

Or, if you're Marcotte, since there can be only one, any and all disagreements are an attack on your opinions and theories. Since you further tie EVERYTHING to who you are as a person, any and all disagreements must be an attack on you.

It's incredibly stupid and short-sighted and leads to what we currently see. Demonization, no retreat, no surrender. The whole thing is a montage of 80s martial arts/action adventure plots.
QFT

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote: Really good reminders about heteronormative assumptions, which you've pointed out (in others) in some of your blog posts over the years. (I run into this all the time at work, particularly people - including those who work in women's health and should really know better - assuming that a woman taking oral contraceptives is heterosexual, or a woman who's pregnant or interested in becoming pregnant has a male partner.)
So as a professional do you strive to be neutral at all times? I would think that most people operate on their assumptions in the first instance, but upon finding out that the assumption was not the case, most reasonable people would not insist that the person conform to their initial assumption.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

AbsurdWalls wrote: It is also entirely possible that the usual suspects were in fact invited and and they declined. Meaning this may not be evidence of any of those things.

I doubt it. They would not harass DJ Grothe for months about harassment policies, get what they wanted, and then simply give up and say they weren't interested in TAM2013. Their goal is assimilation. The convention speaker circuit is their god. They wouldn't voluntarily give up a target as big as TAM.

Although they may end up having to pretend they're boycottting TAM to save face... hahaha.

Mr Danksworth

Re: TAM

Post by Mr Danksworth »

mordacious1 wrote:Have they released a vendor list? :whistle:
When I made my annual donation to JREF they offered me a free SurlyTurd(TM). I told them to keep it.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Apparently this young lady has got the jewellery concession for this years TAM

http://images.esellerpro.com/2152/I/761 ... ewelry.jpg

:rimshot:
But that's FAKE jewelry!!!

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Gumby wrote:

I doubt it. They would not harass DJ Grothe for months about harassment policies, get what they wanted, and then simply give up and say they weren't interested in TAM2013. Their goal is assimilation. The convention speaker circuit is their god. They wouldn't voluntarily give up a target as big as TAM.

Although they may end up having to pretend they're boycottting TAM to save face... hahaha.
If they do come up with a "we boycotted TAM" line ... I wouldn't be at all surprised if TAM/JREF actually put out a factual correction of the position

Cupid Stunt

Re: TAM

Post by Cupid Stunt »

mordacious1 wrote:Have they released a vendor list? :whistle:

Got the jewellery presses working round the clock.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/73/894/6 ... 801%29.jpg

mordacious1

TAM

Post by mordacious1 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Apparently this young lady has got the jewellery concession for this years TAM
Well, isn't she the lucky one? I understand that each vendor receives a one-year home security system.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote: If they do come up with a "we boycotted TAM" line ... I wouldn't be at all surprised if TAM/JREF actually put out a factual correction of the position
I would hope so.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Reap wrote:

Now that is a pretty good line-up. Good to see what's not there, if you know what I mean.
To modify an old truism: Better to have them outside the tent at a distance pissing at you then in the tent pissing on you.

windy

Post by windy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Someone on the that CFI trainwreck of a thread linked to this study about males who admit having raped.

http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com/20 ... predators/
The idea that 5% of the population could be involved in anti-social selfish behavior is not new.
These people are generally termed sociopaths (as distinct from psychopaths - a much rarer and more dangerous group.)

Why wasn't this research brought into the discussion a long time ago?
Doesn't it answer the problem of Schrödingers Rapist?
- Don't date sociopaths!

It also has some implications for the idea of changing 'rape culture'.
If the vast majority of rapes is being committed by sociopaths then there is going to be little we can do to change their behavior, other than encourage their victims to report the crimes - and hopefully get the rapists prosecuted and taken out of circulation.
I see someone made the same point in the comments of that post:
JayKay wrote:But I doubt those men you describe are primarily motivated by implicit social approval. If that were the case, one would have to wonder why the rest of men apparently don’t become rapists. Are they too decent people to fall for the lures of the alleged rape culture? All this does add up to two main conclusions: one – not all men are rapists. two – those who are, don’t seem to be motivated by homosocial approval.

I’m all for speaking up about these matters. But what you have here is a deconstruction of “rape culture” rather than a confirmation…
After a couple more reasonable comments in the same vein, he gets banned!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

AbsurdWalls wrote:

I'd like to go to TAM someday but the travel would be expensive and I am currently broke as all hell. Maybe next year.
Two live tapings of Skeptics Guide to the Universe, featuring Dr. Steve Novella, Jay Novella, Bob Novella, and Evan Bernstein.
I'm not big on these sort of things, and I really dislike Vegas, but I'm considering going just to show support.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

windy wrote: After a couple more reasonable comments in the same vein, he gets banned!
I was enjoying the back and forth. Both made some good arguments and counter arguments. I guess the lure of the "banhammer" was too much.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Metalogic42 wrote:
welch wrote:

I don't know if it's sides, or they decided that other people should get a chance. I took a look at the speakers, and they all look really good, with names I'd not seen before, always a good sign.
You may not think there are sides ... but I can bet a tidy sum on the fact that the butthurt blogposts from FTB/Skepchick/A+ will be very sure there are sides.
Prediction 1: "Only 11/27 speakers are women!!!"
Prediction 2: "Coyne/Grothe/Hall/Mayhew/Shermer will be there, TAM is so misogynist!!!"
I'm tempted to go. It would be expensive as it's school holidays, but still.

Who is planning on going?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Can't say I'm really that into the conference scene (I pretty much agree with tf00t's take on it), but I have to say, it's actually kinda nice to see an atheist/skeptic conference without an Axis of Weevil contignent, for once.

Notice Susan Blackmore is on the speaker list - reminds me that I must get round to reading Dying to Live one of these days. And Max Maven, too - fuck, I thought he'd disappeared or something. And did I read that right? That Penn Gilette is having a bacon and donuts party? Jesus, it would be vaguely worthwhile to me for that alone.

As to whether or not it's baboon free by accident or design - well, who knows. I'm pretty sure that amongst the beta baboons, it'll be taken as evidence of DJ being a vindictive misogynist shit who doesn't care about social justice causes, or something.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Interesting. Apparently I instigate fights and have slandered (http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/e ... _poem/P50/):
cfi.JPG
(27.46 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

:lol: I see I accidentaly got Penn Jilette mixed up with a popular brand of gentleman's razors. This is probably down to being woken up by severe arthritic pain and having to take Ibuprofen. Oh well.

Cupid Stunt

Post by Cupid Stunt »

Tigzy wrote::lol: I see I accidentaly got Penn Jilette mixed up with a popular brand of gentleman's razors. This is probably down to being woken up by severe arthritic pain and having to take Ibuprofen. Oh well.
Not to be confused with Penis Gillette, the disposable dick bush defoliator.

welch

Post by welch »

Cunning Punt wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: Bunch of good comments from several people there, including several 'pitters.
Yeah, but then it goes on for comment after comment about who said what to who, and Radford's original blog post, which I at least thought was pretty good, gets forgotten. If was running a blog at that place I would give every person one comment. That way they would have to stop and think about what they want to say, and say it all in one place rather than this back and forth.
Yes, I feel bad about that. To be fair, I wasn't the one who began the derail, although I suppose I was partly responsible for escalating it. On the other hand, I *was* trying to get the piece back on track. Since Ben's "poem" (or whatever) was supposed to resemble Eve Ensler's, to the point where they both have the starter, "I am over rape" it seemed absurd that Ben should get flack for it, but not Ensler. Then it got out of hand. Sigh. I'm my own worst enemy.
But your insight into your own behavior is a stark contrast to EBW , who said nothing of any substance, and I think just wanted to be the first to comment. And then and Social Justice Slacktivist Sally. Ugh.
Stephanie Zvan took Ben's follow up off the rails even faster
Steven Segal can't derail like Zvain

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:

Do you think their endlessly self-promoting ego would allow that?
Oh sure. Then they PR it as brave SJWs boycotting the den of scum and misogyny that is TAM.

Really, they can get even more ego boost from not going.

welch

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
Patrick wrote: I'm not privy to the internal TAM politics, but isn't it possible that the part of your comment that I bolded has more to do with why these people are on the speaker list than any slight towards the hypocrites and liars our allies in reason from FTB?

If I'm delusional, let me enjoy it for five or ten minutes before slapping me with the clue stick.
I am with you - I strongly suspect it has nothing whatsoever to do with politics, and everything to do with finding speakers who have achieved things, can speak well about them , can hold and espouse ideas, can accept and understand critique of those ideas, and who will add real value to the event.
It is also entirely possible that the usual suspects were in fact invited and and they declined. Meaning this may not be evidence of any of those things.

Apparently Richard Carrier was asked but his demands were too high. (I think he asked for Schleswig and Holstein.) :)
Apparently, even a crack whore has a line.

welch

Post by welch »

Michael K Gray wrote:
welch wrote:Except you can get warm LEDs that look just like incandescents.
Mmm. Not quite.
Hi-power "Warm" LEDs still have a very lumpy & spiky spectrum, not at all like smooth black-body radiation.
Some warm leds leak UV as well. This is both invisible, and very disruptive to circadian rhythms.
Whilst they appear to be the same, they are definitely not the same.

Whatever. They last for six years, they use fuck nothing for electricity, they aren't a hazmat incident if you drop one and the visible bits are close enough to incandescents for pretty much everyone without a spectrometer.

If you're going to bitch about leaking UV, may want to have a word with the sun.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Reap wrote:I think it can be argued that music can have the same effect as some drugs. Not that it can cure you but it can effect mood and is used to effect behavior all over the place. The music you hear in the mall or grocery store? Its been picked because it makes you feel good and that way you will stick around and buy more. There is also some claim deep pitch can cause you to feel apprehensive. The vibration of sound can also make you think you can see something in your peripheral vision. I can attest to the peripheral vision one it is strange you turn to see what is there and the there is nothing . From what I understand it results from the sound vibrating the fluid of the eye which causes you to think something is there. You can never quit make it out though.
I dislike most of the music that others like. It drives me nuts at times. I cannot listen to a radio for longer than it takes to have lunch at a restaurant that's playing one. Most of the time, I prefer no music at all.

I've never seen sound though. Isn't that a form of synthesesia? Does the colour vary?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Interesting. Apparently I instigate fights and have slandered (http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/e ... _poem/P50/):
cfi.JPG
This would be spine-rippin', neck-snappin' Julian who says you instigate fights, right?

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote::lol: I see I accidentaly got Penn Jilette mixed up with a popular brand of gentleman's razors. This is probably down to being woken up by severe arthritic pain and having to take Ibuprofen. Oh well.
Dude, if Ibuprofen fucks you up, I envy you. Cheapest high ever.

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Interesting. Apparently I instigate fights and have slandered (http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/e ... _poem/P50/):
cfi.JPG
This would be spine-rippin', neck-snappin' Julian who says you instigate fights, right?
No matter where you go, there he is. He's a fucking Magic Spic he is.

(I am going to bring that shit up EVERY chance I get, it's that fucking lame.)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Tigzy wrote:
cfi.JPG
I know there's a Julian that sucks up to the FTBers - figured that was the same one. I make a prediction that he won't contact me at all regarding his statement.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

What would be the icing on the cake would be for Dawkins and Harris to be last-minute additions to the speaking list, Vacula giving a presentation on harassment and bullying within the atheist/skeptic community (citing examples of the Baboons!), and another Harriet Hall T-shirt smackdown.

Kick the Baboons while they are down.

justinvacula

Amanda Marcotte and the Storify Gambit

Post by justinvacula »

[youtube]x5GMvQxNB4k[/youtube]

A video response I authored addressing Amanda Marcotte's tweet suggesting Storify ban users from archiving her public tweets -

Enjoy this respectful criticism which will no doubt be dismissed as mansplaining and an example of the patriarchy.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote: This year's TAM is taking place two weeks after the Dublin 'Empowering Women Through Secularism' meeting that PZ, Ophelia and Rebecca are attending. Considering it's taking place in the same hotel (with the same elevator!) where all this crap originated, I guess Rebecca has more important things on her mind. For instance, trying to rekindle the outrage from two years ago.
Oh hells no ... I'll have to give up all of teh internetz, with the exception of PubMed, if there is a rekindling of the outrage.

Maybe that would be a good thing, actually. :D

DeepInsideYourMind

Re: Amanda Marcotte and the Storify Gambit

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Indeed it was respectful, and more than deserved.

That said, due to your attempts to provide a bridge to the FTP/A+ people, perhaps refraining from these kind of critiques till WiS2 and the possible debate would be wise. They just give them ammunition to say you are acting in bad faith ... despite the fact that most normal thinkers wouldnt jump to that conclusion

justinvacula wrote:[youtube]x5GMvQxNB4k[/youtube]

A video response I authored addressing Amanda Marcotte's tweet suggesting Storify ban users from archiving her public tweets -

Enjoy this respectful criticism which will no doubt be dismissed as mansplaining and an example of the patriarchy.

Submariner

Re: Amanda Marcotte and the Storify Gambit

Post by Submariner »

justinvacula wrote:[youtube]x5GMvQxNB4k[/youtube]

Dude! Haven't you learned yet that EVERYTHING is a manifestation of the patriarchy???

Altair

Post by Altair »

Nice comment by JREF's poster Hokulele

The line-up this year is much more interesting than last year's, to the point where I will probably register, rather than just skulk around the edges (like last year). The last slate of speakers felt like it was a lot of "so-and-so blogs about such-and-such", where this slate has more of "so-and-so does such-and-such in <field>". Yay!
I'm pretty sure all of the FTB guys felt a tremor in the force when she wrote that.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

I want to see this in MYYYKKKKERRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUU'S next video:

[youtube]vyk9RYcCY2A[/youtube]

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

CommanderTuvok wrote:What would be the icing on the cake would be for Dawkins and Harris to be last-minute additions to the speaking list, Vacula giving a presentation on harassment and bullying within the atheist/skeptic community (citing examples of the Baboons!), and another Harriet Hall T-shirt smackdown.

THREAT! And use of the word "Baboon"!

Aieeee!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Altair wrote:Nice comment by JREF's poster Hokulele

The line-up this year is much more interesting than last year's, to the point where I will probably register, rather than just skulk around the edges (like last year). The last slate of speakers felt like it was a lot of "so-and-so blogs about such-and-such", where this slate has more of "so-and-so does such-and-such in <field>". Yay!
I'm pretty sure all of the FTB guys felt a tremor in the force when she wrote that.
It's a fucking revolution. All credit to Abeeee and Lsuoma for their work in exposing the cunts' hypocrisy and naked, slavering greed.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

rocko2466 wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:What would be the icing on the cake would be for Dawkins and Harris to be last-minute additions to the speaking list, Vacula giving a presentation on harassment and bullying within the atheist/skeptic community (citing examples of the Baboons!), and another Harriet Hall T-shirt smackdown.

Aieeee!
These monkeys need a damn good spanking. Though there's probably not enough porn in the world to get Ophelia's gears greased again. Flicking that bean would be like rubbing a dried chickpea between your fingers.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BarnOwl wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: This year's TAM is taking place two weeks after the Dublin 'Empowering Women Through Secularism' meeting that PZ, Ophelia and Rebecca are attending. Considering it's taking place in the same hotel (with the same elevator!) where all this crap originated, I guess Rebecca has more important things on her mind. For instance, trying to rekindle the outrage from two years ago.
Oh hells no ... I'll have to give up all of teh internetz, with the exception of PubMed, if there is a rekindling of the outrage.

Maybe that would be a good thing, actually. :D
:-) Might be right – only so much tempest that you can put in a teacup.

Although I think it has probably had some positive consequences in making people more aware that various gender-feminists and post-modernists had stolen a march on skepticism ….

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

welch wrote:
karlaporter wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
Amanda Marcotte ‏@AmandaMarcotte

@StorifyHelp Is there a way to block a user from using your tweets on Storify? Obsessed people need to lose access, for their own good.
"I want to say things in public, but remove everyone's ability to comment on the things I say. Free speech? Bah, who needs it!"
If you have to ask that question your're not doing it right. What's wrong with these people?
They see the world as "Highlander". There can be only one.

Is there an opinion? Only one can be right, all others must be wrong.

Is there a decision? only one can be right, all others must be wrong.

So what happens when you're talking about something that isn't black and white, like oh, I dunno, feminism? What happens when you don't completely agree with Marcotte on every aspect and in every way?

Well, if you're not a highlanderist dipshit, you realize that just like even in "hard" sciences, (like Physics), it is possible for two people to see the same information and walk away with different conclusions or theories. That you can have multiple opinions and theories on something and they don't all have to directly compete with each other. That this is not "two men enter, one man leaves" shit.

Or, if you're Marcotte, since there can be only one, any and all disagreements are an attack on your opinions and theories. Since you further tie EVERYTHING to who you are as a person, any and all disagreements must be an attack on you.

It's incredibly stupid and short-sighted and leads to what we currently see. Demonization, no retreat, no surrender. The whole thing is a montage of 80s martial arts/action adventure plots.
There can be only 5... and a TV show :rimshot:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:

Aieeee!
These monkeys need a damn good spanking. Though there's probably not enough porn in the world to get Ophelia's gears greased again. Flicking that bean would be like rubbing a dried chickpea between your fingers.
I think that probably qualifies as “tasteless” and quite irrelevant – you got anything besides ad hominems? ….

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Yeah, a bit unnecessary. Kindof odd too.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Fuckin' hell, the new thread by Ben Radford is being swamped again, derailed *again* by the usual suspects. I've decided not to post this time, as I'd probably get carried away and mess it up further.

Seriously, though. Stephanie Zvan refuses to answer a simple question. A simple fucking question: does she support the One Billion Rising campaign or doesn't she, yes or no? And she keeps evading it! What the hell? It reminds me of this exchange with Paxman and a Tory twat (Michael Howard to be precise) (oh sorry, did I say 'twat'? How rude of me.)

[youtube]Uwlsd8RAoqI[/youtube]

Where the build-up begins at 2:36 and grows to a close at 4:08 where Paxman asks the question "Did you threaten to overrule him?" and I kid you not, TWELVE FUCKING TIMES. A simple yes or no question. Contrast with Zvan's evasive behaviour and you have to wonder if maybe these two were bore from the same cast.

Then you have julian 'break your neck' francisco in the comments claiming Ben Radford 'outright lies' about what PZ Myers says and does, saying he criticises an anti-rape poem, which PZ Myers in his blog post criticises an anti-rape poem. Yes, at least one of us is terribly, terribly confused, julian. Twit. Oh, and PZ Myers, the so-called "scientist", can't even be arsed to give a remotely witty response to creationists. Here he's making a pointless diatribe to show just how wrong this person is,

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... eginnings/

ending with this witticism,
Can ovulation/ejaculation+time=you?
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/ ... 9567_8.gif

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Steersman wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:

Aieeee!
I think that probably qualifies as “tasteless” and quite irrelevant – you got anything besides ad hominems? ….
That's all I got, you frazzled old cunt. Are you this dull in real life?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Dan Fincke still has most of the later comments to his "civility" post in moderation, but he did make an exception to allow Ophelia to say Pitchguest is a liar and to clarify she really did call herself a bitch.
Apparently Dan is in conflict as to publish any more possibly contentious comments including some defending him from unpleasant commenters. As Dan is probably too humble to publish the defense I made for him I thought I may leave it here.

"Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Dan; Congratulations on becoming a slymepitter!
Sally Strange said:” You can’t be friendly with misogynists and not alienate some women. You can’t be friendly to women and not alienate misogynists. That’s not how the world works. And look at you right now–you’re siding with the misogynists."

Now don’t you dare say “No I’m not”. That is just silencing Sally and friends and disregarding their marginalized status and don’t go on about what you meant to say or what the context was. Intention is not magic!
Dan; why do you hate women?"

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

#73 SallyStrange (Guest) on Monday February 18, 2013 at 7:04pm
Why PZ Myers (or anyone else) would presume to criticize an anti-rape poem (of all things) by a prominent feminist is beyond me, but at least one of us is terribly, terribly confused.

Yeah, um, PZ Myers did not criticize the poem that Eve Ensler wrote. He criticized Ben Radford’s for propagating a number of objectively false tropes about feminists while attempting to satirize Eve Ensler’s poem. He also linked to an article which he felt offered constructive, valid criticism of One Billion Rising—in contrast to Radford’s criticism, which was poorly argued and misinformed.
Oh for ... he didn't satirize the poem, you halfwit! He... arrgh! I'm gonna watch a movie. Can't be arsed.

welch

Post by welch »

Wheee! Reap discovered I can talk FOREVER.

it was a lot of fun though. Fucker asked me about the iWatch. Asshole, talking about the unicorn.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:
cfi.JPG
The spic?