Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
Tony Parsehole

Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Bhoytony. If you are in the mood for ridiculous subtitled films check out Taxidermia.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410730/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
"WTF?" just doesn't cover it. At all.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by Lsuoma »

Split & locked, to see if it fixes slowdown.

BTW, only visiting briefly here today due to deadlines at work. Will reply to IMs and acknowledge donations over the weekend.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Bhoytony. If you are in the mood for ridiculous subtitled films check out Taxidermia.
WTF? I just looked at the blurb there, I don't know what to say. Not really in the same category as Brotherhood Of The Wolf. That is ridiculous, but you can just watch it, enjoy it and completely ignore the fact that it's about a red indian kung fu expert in 18th century France. I don't think I could do that for a film with a guy who shoots fire out of his penis.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Lsuoma wrote:Split & locked, to see if it fixes slowdown.

BTW, only visiting briefly here today due to deadlines at work. Will reply to IMs and acknowledge donations over the weekend.
Unban Eucliwood.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Oh sweet Andrew, nice to hear that from Natalie.

A+ shit and its offshoots are definitely notall American. It's absolutely affecting Australians and (apparently. ARGH) New Zealanders to some extent. I've seen Australians happily quoting Marcotte.

Husband and I were discussing the mindworm of social justice shit over dinner - it's one of those perfect little things that teaches its followers that THINKING is bad. If you think or try to analyse the situation - you're part of the PROBLEM. You need to accept unquestioningly what you're told, follow the right texts, etc.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

I think I might just give up attempting to follow everything on these threads. It's fucking impossible given the rate of posting here, do any of you fuckers ever sleep?

Anyway, the mention of 'Poof' being Brit slang for gay men means that I must share this:

[spoiler][youtube]zX1EjQXG__c[/youtube][/spoiler]

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Reposting this as it's from a fellow submariner.

[footube]<snip>[/footube]
Last edited by Lsuoma on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editing at posters request to remove possible PII.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

So...new thread and Renee is drunk off her ass. Let's have a shit ton of fun :D Candy cane vodka shots for all!!

cunt

Post by cunt »

Sleep is for the weak Apu.

[youtube]VzkVxkiOqGA[/youtube]

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Damn 2nd try.

[youtube]EuGmopB7Tvo[/youtube]

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Also, Comments from the American Secular Census website :

ibushfield Data on gender and secularism. fb.me/23LidroiP 2 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
CraftyTrilobite profile

CraftyTrilobite Really interesting. "@ibushfield: Data on gender and secularism. fb.me/23LidroiP" 2 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
SurlyAmy profile

SurlyAmy Interesting data coming from American Secular Census on diversity and gender and how to better encourage participation bit.ly/UlJWqk 2 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
futilityfiles profile

futilityfiles I didn't join @SecularCensus before today b/c I thought I might skew the data. As it turns out, my experiences = typical #BREAKINGNEWS 2 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
SurlyAmy profile

SurlyAmy @Funkmon here bit.ly/UlJWqk 2 days ago · reply · retweet · favorite
mavaddat profile

mavaddat Why the gender disparity

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

AndrewV69

Post by John Greg »

Seeing as how you have Natalie's ear, do you think you could try to explain to her that in point of fact we are not trying to help her in order to score points against FfTB, et al. We are trying to help her because we are humanists and she is a human being in need -- certainly more in need than someone who wants a new laptop, or sending ToiletBowl to some conference.

Do you think you could do that Andrew?

She's just pissing all over those of us who would like to help her out in her time of need, and that's only going to create bad blood. And it is most certainly not going to make anyone here look kindly on her if she should happen to need help sometime in the future. If she really gets a kick out of burning potential bridges, well ... more power to her, but she's only hurting herself.

Aside from the fact that she has now requested no further help, when I read her bullshit about scoring points, I immediately decided I was not going to continue in my endeavour to help her out. I can't imagine how those who have helped must be feeling right now.

JeeZus Pickles; what an ungrateful bitch.

decius

Post by decius »

Dubbing is disgraceful and an insult to the art of acting and movie-making.
Unfortunately, general audiences are too stupid and lazy to realise this. There are countries where the practise is so engrained that the only way to see an original is by renting a DVD.

By chance, I recently caught a glimpse of the butchery that Italian dubbing wrought upon the Brest Fortress. Unbelievable.

http://theredphoenixapl.org/2011/02/23/ ... -fortress/

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

bhoytony wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Bhoytony. If you are in the mood for ridiculous subtitled films check out Taxidermia.
WTF? I just looked at the blurb there, I don't know what to say. Not really in the same category as Brotherhood Of The Wolf. That is ridiculous, but you can just watch it, enjoy it and completely ignore the fact that it's about a red indian kung fu expert in 18th century France. I don't think I could do that for a film with a guy who shoots fire out of his penis.
I'll look out for Brotherhood Of The Wolf. I could do with a good laugh.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Tony Parsehole wrote: I'll look out for Brotherhood Of The Wolf. I could do with a good laugh.
It's not really much of a laugh.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Regarding gender vs. equity feminism, while it's not a perfect dichotomy (I think it's more like a spectrum that's multidimensional), I think it's a roughly fair approximation, based on seeing the FtB/skepchick crowd's rhetoric and their critics' responses. You see patterns that are indicative.

For instance, one side likes to use postmodernist rhetoric and discourse ("privilege", kafkatrapping) while the other does not. One side is very gender-centric about social issues, while the other is more nuanced. One side is committed to the belief that gender behaviour and aptitudes are entirely a social construct, while the other is open to the possibility of biological causes. One side is strongly committed ideologically to gender identity politics, while the other doesn't have much truck with identity politics or at least hold other identities more important

There are other trends. Overall, I think gender vs. equity feminism is another way of saying radical vs. liberal feminism or gynocentric vs. egalitarian feminism.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Scented Nectar wrote: I don't think they bothered asking in the survey, just the vague combined question. Feminists, and especially fallen, formerly-scientific, feminists like PZ, will assume that men caused their discomfort. And also that the discomfort was a sexual one. How can they tell it apart from let's say, maybe a rich la-di-da woman felt uncomfortable with all the ordinary casual-dress folks. Or maybe she was accosted by a woman.
I've attended several different skeptic/atheist conferences, and witnessed exactly three cases of sexual harassment. One was a very runk woman inappropriately touching a (larger and stronger) woman. One was a woman fondling an ostensibly unperturbed male guest speaker. The other will not be discussed here, but ultimately involved invitations by both genders to engage in group sex. I've never seen an example of the usual harassment script, that is, creepy man (optional camera on monopod) repeatedly and unwantedly hitting on a woman. Maybe that's just me.

A well-designed survey could suss this problem out, but (alas) the Secular Census just doesn't ask the right questions to get there.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

decius wrote:Dubbing is disgraceful and an insult to the art of acting and movie-making.
Unfortunately, general audiences are too stupid and lazy to realise this. There are countries where the practise is so engrained that the only way to see an original is by renting a DVD.

By chance, I recently caught a glimpse of the butchery that Italian dubbing wrought upon the Brest Fortress. Unbelievable.

I hate dubbed films and I cannot understand the American obsession of remaking every decent foreign film or TV series in English with the location changed to America. Are they really so insular that they cannot watch anything not based in the US?

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Mandatory with the title of this new thread

[youtube]LnzYG0ZkrXg[/youtube]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

So, my guy is out of surgery. He had his lymph nodes removed, the mass removed, and a portion of the back of his tongue removed. Oh, and they STILL won't know for another fucking week if the whole thing is malignant or not. WTF? The doctor said they'd check the mass right away to see if there was an issue. I'm not fucking happy right now.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

God dammit, I was sitting in the old thread refreshing, wondering why posting stopped so suddenly. I didn't realize it was locked.

You cunts are trying to play without me!

decius

Post by decius »

ReneeHendricks wrote:So, my guy is out of surgery. He had his lymph nodes removed, the mass removed, and a portion of the back of his tongue removed. Oh, and they STILL won't know for another fucking week if the whole thing is malignant or not. WTF? The doctor said they'd check the mass right away to see if there was an issue. I'm not fucking happy right now.
They need to grow tissue in vitro, I suppose. Best wishes, Renee.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

ReneeHendricks wrote:So, my guy is out of surgery. He had his lymph nodes removed, the mass removed, and a portion of the back of his tongue removed. Oh, and they STILL won't know for another fucking week if the whole thing is malignant or not. WTF? The doctor said they'd check the mass right away to see if there was an issue. I'm not fucking happy right now.

If I were still religious, I'd say you have my prayers. Since I'm not, here's hoping everything works out for you and your guy.

((Renee))

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:[spoiler]Sleep is for the weak Apu.

[youtube]VzkVxkiOqGA[/youtube][/spoiler]
Ha! That goes together so well.
Contribootin'.
[youtube]ak63tTn9S_Q[/youtube]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

decius wrote:
They need to grow tissue in vitro, I suppose. Best wishes, Renee.
Of that, I don't have a doubt. However, they told me and my guy that as soon as they removed the mass, they could check it and see. Kind of assholish if you ask me.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Well, all I can really do is say best of luck, and let's hope that the wonders of modern medicine are enough to overcome that awful crap.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Renee - thinking of you.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Submariner wrote:

If I were still religious, I'd say you have my prayers. Since I'm not, here's hoping everything works out for you and your guy.

((Renee))
Thank you, I appreciate the thoughts/good wishes. As does my guy. He knows that I really rely upon a lot of people here on the Slymepit :) And he's grateful for it.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Best wishes Renne.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

*Renee*

Dammit.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:*Renee*

Dammit.
You could probably use an edit button about now, right?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Submariner wrote:

((Renee))
Thank you, I appreciate the thoughts/good wishes. As does my guy. He knows that I really rely upon a lot of people here on the Slymepit :) And he's grateful for it.
http://www.wallpaperpimper.com/wallpape ... 24x768.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, I remembered that DreamHost sent me this a couple of weeks ago - may be the cause of the slowdown.

"our site will be migrated into our newest data center (located in the US - East Region, in Ashburn, Virginia) within about a week starting from January 15th. We are closely monitoring the migration process to make it as painless as possible. Please note, however, that you may experience some higher than usual loads while your data is being moved over, which may cause slower load times than usual on your websites. We apologize for the inconvenience this is causing."

If it doesn't clear up in a couple of days I'll open a ticket with them.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Dammit.
:D Thanks. I get "rene" a lot so it's all good.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Metalogic42 wrote:God dammit, I was sitting in the old thread refreshing, wondering why posting stopped so suddenly. I didn't realize it was locked.

This isn't about you. Check your privilege!

Renee, best wishes. I hardly know ya's, but you have my deepest sympathies!

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

There are some quick tests the pathologists can do while the patient is still in surgery, but the more detailed and sophisticated histology or immunohistochemistry techniques usually take a few days to complete. Frozen tissue sections from the biopsy or excised tumor are quick to obtain, but oftentimes the cell shapes and tissue micro-architecture aren't nearly as well-preserved as they are in fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections. Pathologists rely on those aspects to determine how disrupted the tissue micro-architecture is, whether the tumor cells have invaded neighboring tissue, how abnormal the tumor cells have become, etc. - all of these characters will be used to determine the "grade" of a particular tumor type, and that will influence the treatment plan. There are a lot of new molecular biological/genetic analyses that can be performed with tumor tissue, lymph nodes, etc., and those are going to take a few days as well (and can also influence the treatment plan).

None of the above makes it any easier for the patient and family, of course, but it's not deliberate delay on the part of the physicians. Your guy's doctor could have done a better job of explaining what could be determined during surgery vs. what would take several days to a week to assess (and why).

In any case, {{{hugs}}}. Waiting for a diagnosis is really difficult and stressful, I know.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Personal anecdotal observed opinion:

Most of the Athiesm+ movement is American

Most of the anti-A+ sentiment is expressed outside the USA

The US is a very special place, often special as belonging on a very short bus ....

Discuss...
http://www.militarylulz.com/image/milit ... 693058.jpg

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

So on Youtube, TheTruePooka posted this vid announcing that that he's finally got PZ Myers to agree to join C0ncordance and TheSkepticalHeretic in a roundtable discussion regarding freedom of speech, internet discussion and trolls:

[youtube]2kAUaRu2U14[/youtube]

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Metalogic42 wrote:God dammit, I was sitting in the old thread refreshing, wondering why posting stopped so suddenly. I didn't realize it was locked.

Didn't you read about it on the secret forum?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

bhoytony wrote:
decius wrote:Dubbing is disgraceful and an insult to the art of acting and movie-making.

I hate dubbed films and I cannot understand the American obsession of remaking every decent foreign film or TV series in English with the location changed to America. Are they really so insular that they cannot watch anything not based in the US?
I can't stand to watch dubbed films, and would much rather read subtitles.

English-subtitled German films can cause a bit of confusion for me when I try to listen to the dialog and read the subtitles at the same time - not so bad now that my German is quite rusty and disused, but was disconcerting the first times I watched two of my favorite films (Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire and Faraway, So Close!).

Slither

Post by Slither »

You guys post really, really, quickly, and I don't like to skip forward in a thread, so it has taken me a really long time to catch up.

But, now that I have, I want to say that I am really sorry that Renee's guy is having such a hard time, and that I wish the best for both of them. *HUG*

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

Dammit.
Remember, NO twitter tomorrow.

{HUG}

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

cunt wrote:

Unban Eucliwood.
She was threatening to report us to the authorities for picking on a minor. You might have missed that post of hers. That doesn't mix well with all her attempts at sexual jocularity with us. A magnet for getting us shut down for some sort of child-porn/sexual-interference/whatever-to-a-minor magnet if you ask me. Just like we didn't want Oolon fucking us up with his cp upload, I think we have to be careful around Eucliwood. Also, she's either mental or maliciously trying to get us in trouble. I think mental most likely, and that doesn't mix well with a possible paranoid call to the authorities like she threatened.

I'm all for free speech normally, but anything sexual to do with a minor could get us shut down. And she was definitely trying to get into sexual conversations here. Plus of course, her paranoid threats to call the authorities on us. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be so firm in my opinion here, but she's here looking to cause trouble.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Cunning Punt wrote:

There's a secret forum???

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO LIE???

YOU LYING LIAR!!!

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!!!!!!!

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Scented Nectar wrote:
cunt wrote:

Unban Eucliwood.
She was threatening to report us to the authorities for picking on a minor. You might have missed that post of hers. That doesn't mix well with all her attempts at sexual jocularity with us. A magnet for getting us shut down for some sort of child-porn/sexual-interference/whatever-to-a-minor magnet if you ask me. Just like we didn't want Oolon fucking us up with his cp upload, I think we have to be careful around Eucliwood. Also, she's either mental or maliciously trying to get us in trouble. I think mental most likely, and that doesn't mix well with a possible paranoid call to the authorities like she threatened.

I'm all for free speech normally, but anything sexual to do with a minor could get us shut down. And she was definitely trying to get into sexual conversations here. Plus of course, her paranoid threats to call the authorities on us. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be so firm in my opinion here, but she's here looking to cause trouble.
Are you joking about Oolon? That didn't happen did it?

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

Dammit.
I get "hey you!" a lot.

All the best. It seems like you guys have something good which seems a rarity, so long may it continue.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Scented Nectar wrote:
cunt wrote:

Unban Eucliwood.

She's NOT banned - she's moderated, and I approved a post that said I sucked my pitfriends' dicks, so she can't even be accused of being censored.

BTW, colon didn't upload CP, that was a user (SurelyYouGuest) who got quickly banned. colon just admitted DOWNLOADING it and saving it on his computer.

Apples

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:Beauty and the Beat: The Jen McReight story
That is genius. Todrick Hall is pretty impressive.

decius

Post by decius »

BTW LSuoma, thanks for the awesome blowjob.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Re: AndrewV69

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

John Greg wrote:_____________
@ ... AndrewV69

Seeing as how you have Natalie's ear, do you think you could try to explain to her that in point of fact we are not trying to help her in order to score points against FfTB, et al. We are trying to help her because we are humanists and she is a human being in need -- certainly more in need than someone who wants a new laptop, or sending ToiletBowl to some conference.

She's just pissing all over those of us who would like to help her out in her time of need, and that's only going to create bad blood. And it is most certainly not going to make anyone here look kindly on her if she should happen to need help sometime in the future. If she really gets a kick out of burning potential bridges, well ... more power to her, but she's only hurting herself.

Aside from the fact that she has now requested no further help, when I read her bullshit about scoring points, I immediately decided I was not going to continue in my endeavour to help her out. I can't imagine how those who have helped must be feeling right now.

JeeZus Pickles; what an ungrateful bitch.
Disagree totally. Not impugning anyone's motives, but there has been a lot of talk about the difference in repsonse between here and FTB and it definitely comes across as having an element of one-upmanship. I would feel uncomfortable about accepting help under these circumstances. She did express gratitude.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I was intrigued by this Brest Fortress, so I am now about to watch it (with English subtitles). I will report later.

Mark Neil

Re: AndrewV69

Post by Mark Neil »

John Greg wrote:[spoiler]_____________
@ ... AndrewV69

JeeZus Pickles; what an ungrateful bitch.[/spoiler]
She has what she needs thanks to donations, thanked us for our concern and doesn't want to be used as a pawn in the political back and forth so asked not to use her to shame PZ et all. I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't see her being ungrateful. Perhaps you can elaborate?

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Yeah, the waiting bit really sucks. Hopefully the worst is over, kid.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

d4m10n wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: I don't think they bothered asking in the survey, just the vague combined question. Feminists, and especially fallen, formerly-scientific, feminists like PZ, will assume that men caused their discomfort. And also that the discomfort was a sexual one. How can they tell it apart from let's say, maybe a rich la-di-da woman felt uncomfortable with all the ordinary casual-dress folks. Or maybe she was accosted by a woman.
I've attended several different skeptic/atheist conferences, and witnessed exactly three cases of sexual harassment. One was a very runk woman inappropriately touching a (larger and stronger) woman. One was a woman fondling an ostensibly unperturbed male guest speaker. The other will not be discussed here, but ultimately involved invitations by both genders to engage in group sex. I've never seen an example of the usual harassment script, that is, creepy man (optional camera on monopod) repeatedly and unwantedly hitting on a woman. Maybe that's just me.

A well-designed survey could suss this problem out, but (alas) the Secular Census just doesn't ask the right questions to get there.
It says on their website:
The Census was conceived and created by Mary Ellen Sikes, a Web developer with more than twenty years' experience in systems analysis, programming, and technology education for government, private industry, public schools, and the nonprofit sector.
and
Consultation on Census methodology is provided by Dr. Connie Bish, who earned a Ph.D. in Biological and Biomedical Science and a Master of Public Health degree in Epidemiology from Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. Currently, Dr. Bish is an instructional and applied epidemiologist. She has experience collecting and analyzing data ranging from clinical research protocols to population level surveillance of health outcomes. Dr. Bish utilizes statistical methodology that assists in teasing out the multifactorial individual, societal, cultural, and environmental components of health.
Dr. Bish should be downright ashamed of her methodology in this census. I wonder if her other data work is as shoddy. Anyone who would write that vague question without asking further details, should probably be put out to pasture. Although, to give her the benefit of the doubt, they only 'consulted' her, she may not have written them. It might have all been written by Sikes.

Also, sure enough, this is a money making scheme. They've made a business name for themselves: Secular Innovations LLC, but they are saying that the census is run by Secular Americans (capitalized). Is that also a business name? Some group or club made up to sound official or something?

I'm looking at a sample of what's in the census, and sure enough there's more vague shit. Like "In the past two years, have you met with an elected official to discuss an issue?" Only answers are yes or no. How do they know whether you've complained about keeping religious shit out of public places, or whether you really want someone to finally fix the pothole in the road near your house?

They are also very interested in whether or not you are a charity donor or not, including how much you've donated. I expect that's more to line up potential easy marks donors.

Smells corrupt as fuck. And a big fail at collecting data, if their purpose is really what they claim.

cunt

Post by cunt »

In other words, nobody involved in creating it has the slightest background in sociology.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:

YOU LYING LIAR!!!

But the thread even had your name in the topic. Didn't you see it?

Mark Neil

Post by Mark Neil »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:

YOU LYING LIAR!!!

Who told you there was a secret thread? They betrayed our trust and put peoples LIVES at stack. you must reveal your sources.

(PS I did the same thing. was wondering why it go silent so quick)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
cunt wrote:

Unban Eucliwood.

Are you joking about Oolon? That didn't happen did it?
I missed seeing the pic he posted, but he quickly took it down due to its nature, an underaged girl or something. I forget the rest of what happened, but didn't he try using it against us despite that it was him who did it? I can't remember it fully.