Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
mordacious1

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by mordacious1 »

Unlike Anthony K who makes violent threats without the anonymity?

Ohieliar sure does scare easily, I bet she barely leaves her house and has a thousand cats for protection.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

mordacious1 wrote:Unlike Anthony K who makes violent threats without the anonymity?

Ohieliar sure does scare easily, I bet she barely leaves her house and has a thousand cats for protection.
DING-DONG!
delivery man: "Hello Ms. Benson? I'm from the market. Should I bring your groceries in for you?"

Ophelia Benson: "Stop threatening me! Just leave them at the door. And I'm reporting you for threatening me."

JackSkeptic

Re: 47 layers of clothes

Post by JackSkeptic »

mordacious1 wrote:ERV, I think thin ladies wearing 47 layers of clothes are "hot'. Just saying.

Sure makes a long game of strip poker.

free thoughtpolice

Re: his voice was probably vibrating with rage

Post by free thoughtpolice »

windy wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
windy wrote: As long as we're sharing (literally) chill girl stories, this one time when I was a student I was walking through the park one winter evening to get to the train station. It was about -15 C, so not too bad, except I come across this guy standing next to the path wearing nothing but a bra, garter belt and stockings. He asks if I want to watch him jerk off. I said no because it was too fucking cold to stand around and I had a train to catch! (there wasn't a lot to see anyway in that temperature) I always thought he must have lost a bet or something.
Your reaction to that was all wrong. You were supposed to go home and curl up in a ball unable to function. Then you should apply for disability benefits because you who could work after such a trauma. Then you should blog about it always and forever because THAT'S ACTIVISM!
Sheesh. No wonder you couldn't cut it over at A+.
That's why I haven't even tried to go there! But if I had made a big deal out of it, maybe I would have been condoning latent trans-phobia? Gotta be careful with these things...

I'm not saying I would have welcomed the invitation in any other conditions, it's just that in this case my immediate reaction wasn't "Watch you jerk off in public?? What the hell is wrong with you?", it was "Jerking off in public in this weather?? What the hell is wrong with you?"
I gather you haven't incurred any lasting trauma over this incident Windy.
Unlike what happened to Jen, it was fortunate for you he wasn't a hobo and asked for permission.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

BarnOwl wrote: http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 96cb62.png

Yep, just keep making that shit up, Ophelia. I'm one of "those people" and I've never punched anyone, human or non-human, in my entire life. Why are you so dishonest? Is it a socioeconomic privilege thing?
Oh dear. Ophelia's having that old context problem again, like she did with Shermer. You see, when 'bam' is brought up in a conversation about someone apparently being 'an inch away from going postal' -
Going postal, in American English slang, means becoming extremely and uncontrollably angry, often to the point of violence, and usually in a workplace environment.

The expression derives from a series of incidents from 1983 onward in which United States Postal Service (USPS) workers shot and killed managers, fellow workers, and members of the police or general public in acts of mass murder. Between 1986 and 1997, more than forty people were gunned down by spree killers in at least twenty incidents of workplace rage.
- then it is somewhat fair to assume 'bam' in this instance involves a degree of violence distinctly more severe than a bop on the nose.

(quote from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_postal)

decius

Post by decius »

[youtube]goA5KKyHHlI[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Went looking at PZ's twitter feed for the executable he retweeted. He RT's lots of stuff. Noticed this, a headscratcher:

http://i.imgur.com/FsnwpfA.png

Pretty Girls Making Ugly Faces (the comments at that page are amusing, small flame war going on).

I have no clue why PZ would RT that link. Did he think the photos were funny? ironic? salient examples of objectification of women, or of cruelty toward those considered ugly by society?

The whole thing just seems so laden (ha) with mines that a newly converted gender feminist should probably not even try to "go there". But will any of his followers call him out on it? I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

So, anyway, PZ retweeted this from ologies, who self-describes "One part human, one part cold, steely fembot" and who asks via twitter for an MRA to have a calm reasonable discussion with s/h/it (her?) - although in a way that suggests s/h/it thinks it's not possible due to MRAs being unreasonable.

Singer/performer amandapalmer had also tweeted a link to "Pretty Girls Ugly Faces", with 68 RTs; amandapalmer seemed to think it was funny, but a couple of people commented (calmly) back to her by twitter that it raised questions for them (most commonly commenting that "ugly" often included looking overweight by creating a double chin). FtBers could learn something from them about reasonable discourse (like that's going to happen).

I poked around a while on ologies' and amandapalmer's blogs; seems like each might describe s/h/its-self as feminist but neither would seem to fit the FtB ideal of feminism.

Ologies' blog includes a stylish picture of heterosexual dinosaur sex with ologies' admiring comment, "That’s a goddamn stylized Mesozoic dick, you guys. I think I’m in love."

But the clearest example of non-alliance with FtB et al's type of feminism, IMO, is a post titled real feminists don't gaze at males from Amanda Palmer's blog from 8/2012, regarding a question she was asked in Q&A during a show, "How can I make my friends into feminists?" (and criticism AP received for ogling her own husband):
how i ACTUALLY answered the question, which was something along the lines of:

“if you’re trying to turn your friends into feminists, i think you’re taking the wrong tack. i would back up and start off by not trying to turn them into ANYTHING…this is how we got into this whole mess in the first place.”

as far as i’m concerned, the most powerful feminist can do WHATEVER SHE WANTS.

(examples follow of various actions a person, particularly a teenager or adult, might take or not take)
the minute you believe you’re a “bad feminist” because you said the wrong thing/wore the wrong thing/got married/chose to have children…or otherwise broke some unspecified ”code of feminism”: DON’T BUY IT. THERE ISN’T ONE. you can do ANYTHING YOU WANT. ANYTHING. THAT’S THE POINT.
So, presumably Amanda Palmer would see women-considered-attractive mugging for photos making unattractive faces as one of the ANYTHINGs that women (or, I would hope she means, people) can do. I don't know what ologies would think, or why s/h/it tweeted the link. And then PZ picks it up...um...because RTing stuff from a "fembot" is a way of twitter-feeding his fans without having to find stuff himself, nor to check the links/sites out (cf the executable file), nor to add any thoughtful comment himself.

MIght PZ be worried that if he stops feeding the piranhas, might they be more likely to leap out of the tank & attack him? (Or, just that he'll lose their attention & adoration, oh & clicks...)

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

BarnOwl wrote:More lies and rubbish from the comments thread at Ophelia's blag:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 7ee764.png

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 96cb62.png

Yep, just keep making that shit up, Ophelia. I'm one of "those people" and I've never punched anyone, human or non-human, in my entire life. Why are you so dishonest? Is it a socioeconomic privilege thing?
(Bolding mine.) I did, when I was a kid. I was bullied and had a short temper, go figure. Now I despise violence. Although I'm curious of what their dear friend Chris Clarke would say to Ophelia and Anthony's claims of "violent threats."

If they think they have the monopoly on what does and what doesn't constitute as a "threat", and the prescience to conclude what is "clearly a joke" and what isn't, they have another thing coming. When Chris Clarke said what he did regarding Tethys' comment, I thought Christmas had come early. Because not only did he provide an excuse, he had shattered the long tradition of the FTB clique: that it's not "just a joke." When franc said what he did, it wasn't "just a joke", when Mykeru and Jerry said what they did, it wasn't "just a joke", but thanks to Chris Clarke, they can no longer pretend they have the moral high ground. So in the future, if someone says something unsavoury but that is clearly meant to be a joke, I will just say that it is - and if they object to my callousness, I'll just link to the response from Chris Clarke and they'll shut right up.

So, once again, thank you, Chris Clarke. The Slymepit thanks you. Now fuck off. (That's a compliment.)

agarybuseychristmas

Post by agarybuseychristmas »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... does-work/

So Greta decided to write this a while back, and not sure if anyone caught it, but the rape rates in Edmonton actually increased after this campaign was introduced.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/01/26/s ... se-in-city

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Quick question: what would you turn a bakery into, knowing there are already 2 bakeries within 100 meters.
Coffee shop?
Exactly my answer, though preferably of the Amsterdam kind. My favourite one there plays constant Frank Zappa and is right across from a mind-blowingly excellent bakery and patisserie.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

If I were Ophelia I would be more afraid of Anthony K standing behind me than of Mykeru standing in front of me. Just ask Anthony's cat. :D

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

decius wrote:
Zenspace wrote: These days I ride one of these:
ICE Vortex.png
Nice. I'm more of a traditionalist. Mine is like this, but black.
chpveloce_bianca[1].jpg
Bah! That is not anything a traditionalist would ride. This is closer:

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o74 ... 22b191.jpg

Even that is only neo-traditionalist. When I first bought that frame, I fitted it out with late 1970s/early 1980s Campagnolo Super Record and toe clips and straps. But, I was so nervous about marring those beautiful components that I never rode the bike and eventually upgraded to 8 speed Chorus.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

BINGO I WIN!

http://i.imgur.com/s3CRVpD.jpg

Unfortunately i no longer have the @Secular_Steve Twitter ID. Ool0n is running a 'grab and steal' script and has targeted the pit.
I still have my account running thank fuck, but under my updated ID: @Steve_WCoA, so all is good.
Watch the little cunt. He's a sneaky one. Any modifications you choose to do to your Twitter ID, there's a chance you may not be able to return to it.
Ool0n King Haxxor i salute you. :moon:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

So in order for the block bot to not block you, you just have to follow it?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Ok, gotta be the whoree shop then. "Wifi and BJs at all time". Yeah, nice catchline. Thanks Pitters...

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

UnbelieveSteve wrote:BINGO I WIN!

Unfortunately i no longer have the @Secular_Steve Twitter ID. Ool0n is running a 'grab and steal' script and has targeted the pit.
I still have my account running thank fuck, but under my updated ID: @Steve_WCoA, so all is good.
Watch the little cunt. He's a sneaky one. Any modifications you choose to do to your Twitter ID, there's a chance you may not be able to return to it.
Wait, what? That fucker had better not be doing this to me. I have enough fucking bullshit from that piece of shit stalker. If I find Oolon is running that crap on my name, I will fucking rain rage and fire on that little shit. I've been pretty nice 'til now.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ok, gotta be the whoree shop then. "Wifi and BJs at all time". Yeah, nice catchline. Thanks Pitters...
Take my Wifi. :dance:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

Wait, what? That fucker had better not be doing this to me. I have enough fucking bullshit from that piece of shit stalker. If I find Oolon is running that crap on my name, I will fucking rain rage and fire on that little shit. I've been pretty nice 'til now.
Your name is on there. On the line above, next to rocko.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Pitchguest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Your name is on there. On the line above, next to rocko.
I know my name is on the block list. I just do not want that fucker involving me in a "grab and steal" script that involves my fucking name.

decius

Post by decius »

mikelf wrote:
Even that is only neo-traditionalist. When I first bought that frame, I fitted it out with late 1970s/early 1980s Campagnolo Super Record and toe clips and straps. But, I was so nervous about marring those beautiful components that I never rode the bike and eventually upgraded to 8 speed Chorus.
Beautiful.
Problem is, given the enormous distances I cover, every little cyclic creak, click, screech or squeak would drive me insane on the long run. I prefer to invest in state-of-the-art gear and hear only the wind.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Ok ...I need a title for my new blog. Any suggestions? If I do happen to pick one suggested by you then you win the honor of me never writing a harsh word about you, ever....unless you steal my car, or drink my last beer in the fridge. There are limits.

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Pitchguest wrote:So in order for the block bot to not block you, you just have to follow it?
Nope. Your tweets will be blocked to those who subscribe to ool0n's page. That's it. Ool0n is compiling a list of his worst enemies. Any @ing by the enemy (whoever is on the list) to those who have subscribed to his little project (the snowflakes, Aplussies, FTBers, Greg Laden apparently) will not receive your tweet.

So, mighty ool0n is playing the almighty "twitter censor" for those too stupid to use the block function on their own twitter device. Oh, and the list of enemies is decided by ool0n himself and other authorized fucknuts like Aratina and Hyperdeath.

So, if you subscribe to the project but don't agree with ool0n's enemy list and prefer to keep in contact with one or more of the enemies, bad luck.
Ool0n the king of freeze peach, no wait.

decius

Post by decius »

Reap wrote:Ok ...I need a title for my new blog. Any suggestions? If I do happen to pick one suggested by you then you win the honor of me never writing a harsh word about you, ever....unless you steal my car, or drink my last beer in the fridge. There are limits.
The Reaporter.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... does-work/

So Greta decided to write this a while back, and not sure if anyone caught it, but the rape rates in Edmonton actually increased after this campaign was introduced.

Of course, reporting is part of the bugaboo with rape statistics (all bolding below added by me):
The Edmonton Sun wrote:The amount of reported sex crimes has gone up 14% over the past two years, troubling new statistics reveal.

According to Edmonton police statistics, there were 645 sexual assaults reported in 2009, compared to 700 reported in 2011.
But, yeah, she claimed "the campaign has been so successful, the number of reported sexual assaults in Vancouver fell by 10 per cent.", but her link goes to a HuffPo page about Edmonton that links to the Globe and Mail for the Vancouver statistic. The Globe and Mail article-writer-and-editor apparently don't understand either that (a) there will always be some year-to-year variation in any rate like this, or that (b) the stats are "reported sexual assaults", not "sexual assaults":
The Globe and Mail wrote:Six months [after posters went up in bars around Vancouver], Deputy Chief Doug LePard says the Don’t Be That Guy campaign has contributed to a turnaround in statistics on sexual offences in Vancouver.

The rate dropped in 2011 by about 10 per cent, the first time in several years it had gone down.

Sexual assaults had defied recent trends in crime. While the overall rate dropped every year over the past decade, the rate of sexual offences went up. Strathcona had the highest number of sexual assaults in Vancouver from 2008 to 2010. The police linked the statistics to the large number of prostitutes in the area.

But Strathcona was not alone. Sexual assaults in downtown Vancouver, Coal Harbour and the West End increased by 22 per cent from 2008 to 2009 and went up another 29 per cent from 2009 to 2010. On the west side of Vancouver, sexual assaults dropped in 2009 but increased the next year to nearly the 2008 level.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Reap wrote:Ok ...I need a title for my new blog. Any suggestions? If I do happen to pick one suggested by you then you win the honor of me never writing a harsh word about you, ever....unless you steal my car, or drink my last beer in the fridge. There are limits.
"Reap Culture"?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

decius wrote:
The Reaporter.
I like that one. Here's another: The Grim Reaper.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
"Reap Culture"?
Haha

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

BarnOwl wrote:More lies and rubbish from the comments thread at Ophelia's blag:

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 7ee764.png

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 96cb62.png

Wow, it's a good thing I'm too busy making videos and generally being awesome (did my laundry, toilet scrubbed, the life of pure evil suits me) to read what a bunch of comment bottom feeders think.

Oh, "bam" indicates PUNCHING REBECCA WATSON IN THE FACE? I do apologize Opie. Perfectly reasonable extrapolation from the tone of my voice.

Goodness. She sounds like she's completely butthurt.

Outstanding.

You know, I will never understand this self-pitying sociopath mentality. I can wrap my head around people who give as well as they get, who are able to go toe to toe and argue a point, but this "All I did was smear you and make up shit, so why are you being so mean to me you terrible person?" crap I will never fully understand.

Bonus: Brownian copping the moral high ground about making violent threats.

Oh, wait: One thing: What "violent threats" have I made? Nuking Minnesota?

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

I used to get catcalled back in the day. But if it were a dude and that dude tried to approach me, well since I'm a dude, he often felt the need to try and beat me up. If it were a female catcaller then they were very direct and touchy feely. To ridiculous levels. As an example (granted this only happened one time) a woman grabbed me while I was standing around near the dance floor. She put her hand down my pants, grabbed for my junk, (I squirmed away) and she got a handful of my underwear instead, which she ripped off my body. She pulled so hard as to rip a big piece of my underwear off (not the elastic part). I escaped to see her twirling my underwear around her head, yelling, screaming, and dancing. Drunk off her ass. Crazy bitches. Ladies, don't do that.

Guys, well I can run fast and I am in general non-threatening. I don;t give off that "warrior caste" vibe where people just fight each other.

Anyway guys get catcalled too. And ladies aren't always so nicely behaved.

/carry on

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

UnbelieveSteve wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:So in order for the block bot to not block you, you just have to follow it?
Nope. Your tweets will be blocked to those who subscribe to ool0n's page. That's it. Ool0n is compiling a list of his worst enemies. Any @ing by the enemy (whoever is on the list) to those who have subscribed to his little project (the snowflakes, Aplussies, FTBers, Greg Laden apparently) will not receive your tweet.

So, mighty ool0n is playing the almighty "twitter censor" for those too stupid to use the block function on their own twitter device. Oh, and the list of enemies is decided by ool0n himself and other authorized fucknuts like Aratina and Hyperdeath.

So, if you subscribe to the project but don't agree with ool0n's enemy list and prefer to keep in contact with one or more of the enemies, bad luck.
But as long as it's not causing Twitter to auto-suspend you for apparent spamming, is it really worth that much attention? I mean, if these people want to submit themselves to the censorship of others, then good luck to them. I'm guessing Ooley at al must think they're getting big pwnage points out of it, but only to the extent that someone must presume they're really hitting you where it hurts when they beat your mob in Mafia Wars. To me, the 'meh' factor in this is considerable.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/s3CRVpD.jpg ...
#41 on the list above.

:popcorn:

Reap

Post by Reap »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Zenspace wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Grrr. Having a Twitter back-and-forth with Oolon. Clearly I'm a masochist. Oh, and his whole 5 months of Twitter experience clearly trumps my 5 *years*. Fucking idiot.
Clearly. I live a much happier life since I learned not to waste my time engaging with assholes who will never change their minds or ways through constructive discourse.
You do not negotiate with terrorists. I think Welsh, Mykeru et. al get that.

Others, not so much.
Engaging and negotiating are not the same thing. I hate the word 'terrorist' when our leaders say it with absolute defiance pledging to fight terrorism I think bout how the Brits felt when we broke from them or how many times we have helped overthrow other governments or put sanctions on countries. Don't get me wrong I love the USA and I'm damn lucky to live here but that doesnt mean we are without blame for others being terrorized. Sorry bout the mini rant
Engaging can be fun even if you know nothing will result that helps you reach a goal. Watch a cat engage a mouse or bird or watch Renne engage Oolon same thing

UnbelieveSteve

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Tigzy wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote:

But as long as it's not causing Twitter to auto-suspend you for apparent spamming, is it really worth that much attention? I mean, if these people want to submit themselves to the censorship of others, then good luck to them. I'm guessing Ooley at al must think they're getting big pwnage points out of it, but only to the extent that someone must presume they're really hitting you where it hurts when they beat your mob in Mafia Wars. To me, the 'meh' factor in this is considerable.
I don't think anyone on his list has been suspended yet. Out of the 59 entries so far, 8, no, 9 belong to me. Some are brand new accounts. Yeah i like to troll King Ool0n and that stinky little discharge known as Aratina.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Do you think they'll denounce Ricky Gervais for this?

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Wow, secular steve seems to have pissed off oolon and the A+/FTB circlejerkers quite a bit!

And that Noelplum99 challenge to PZ Myers is dead on the nail. PZ claims there's so much dissent on Pharyngula, I can only imagine that since we can't see it it's ALL relegated to his trash/block/ban files. Coward.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Pitchguest wrote:Do you think they'll denounce Ricky Gervais for this?

I wouldn't doubt it. After all, Ricky Gervais would be their largest target to date in terms of profile, I can only imagine the salivation over blog hits if they turned the pitchforks on him next(Not that he'll likely even notice or respond anyways)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

16bitheretic wrote:Wow, secular steve seems to have pissed off oolon and the A+/FTB circlejerkers quite a bit!

And that Noelplum99 challenge to PZ Myers is dead on the nail. PZ claims there's so much dissent on Pharyngula, I can only imagine that since we can't see it it's ALL relegated to his trash/block/ban files. Coward.
Hmmm. You know, Pharygula regular SteveOR tends to get on Peezee's and the regulars' wick a bit because of his somewhat strident views on Islam, and hasn't been banned yet. He hasn't, however, gone full ebil and done the infinitely worse thing of voicing some tentative questions about certain tenets of feminism as the Pharygulites see it, so...token spank monkey, perhaps.

It is dissent, though - not much, but I'd guess enough to meet Noelplum's challenge.

Sorry Jim - it's strife, but not as we know it.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Skep tickle wrote:Went looking at PZ's twitter feed for the executable he retweeted. He RT's lots of stuff. Noticed this, a headscratcher:

http://i.imgur.com/FsnwpfA.png

Pretty Girls Making Ugly Faces (the comments at that page are amusing, small flame war going on).

I have no clue why PZ would RT that link. Did he think the photos were funny? ironic? salient examples of objectification of women, or of cruelty toward those considered ugly by society?

The whole thing just seems so laden (ha) with mines that a newly converted gender feminist should probably not even try to "go there". But will any of his followers call him out on it? I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
Innnterrresting that all the "pretty girls" have light-colored skin, and the majority appear to be Caucasian. Distinct paucity of curly-haired individuals of any ethnicity, too. Also, most of the "ugly faces" involve making double chins and fat-looking necks.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:So over at Gene Expression Razib Khan throws down the gauntlet, bitch slaps the Cultural Anthropologists and gets medieval on their collective ass. No he does not mention pond scum like Laden but he does a number on the yahoos currently mobbing Jared Diamond (not that he aproves too much of him either).
I haven't read his stuff in year, after he posted some pretty racist shit. Has he gotten better or is he still a piece of shit? Just curious. FYI I think it's been about 6-10 years maybe - not sure when he started or when I picked up and read it, so it's been a long, long time.
Dunno what you are on about man without some specific link. But you should not forget that he is also a social conservative despite hanging out with mostly liberal progressives.

All I can do is hazard a guess is that depending on which side you fall under after reading the The Blank State by Pinker, or The Bell Curve, or Race and Intelligence by Rushton, then you may very well get a heart attack if you read Razib.

My bottom line, is that if Razib gives you an aneurism, then you probably have no business reading him at all.

You also probably do not have a deep enough understanding about the subject matter to have an opinion either (no offense meant) that Razib or others like Dienke, Hawks and that lot, or generally many of the people who comment would even bother to consider.
It's been so long (and several computers) ago that anything I might have had is gone. I have pretty much forgotten about what it was, just that some of the stuff he wrote was really bad (somewhere up along the tea party racism bad, to use a recent example). If I remember, and I may not, I think he was posting stuff that had been contradicted by other science - neuroscience perhaps - but maybe your mention of the Bell Curve is causing me to misremember. Sorry I can't be more specific than that. My own experience is a lot of anthropology classes in college (almost had enough for a BA in it) and a lifelong interest, but I haven't devoted too much time in the last few years to it (mainly interested in the archaeology side of the house).

If he's trying to push his political agenda through his writings, then I won't waste my time. It'd be like reading Huffpo for scientific advice. Appreciate the response.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

16bitheretic wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Do you think they'll denounce Ricky Gervais for this?

I wouldn't doubt it. After all, Ricky Gervais would be their largest target to date in terms of profile, I can only imagine the salivation over blog hits if they turned the pitchforks on him next(Not that he'll likely even notice or respond anyways)
He'd just ignore them.
His view on the word cunt are exactly what you expect from someone who grew up in England.
http://i.imgur.com/qrsyeLh.png

He uses the word exactly the same way that Ophelias UK allies Rhys Morgan and Alex Gabriel use it.
She just chooses to ignore that, while using the same word as exhibit A against others.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Reap Eat Offender

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

decius wrote:
The Reaporter.
Reapercussions

The Reaptile House

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

decius wrote: youtube goA5KKyHHlI /youtube
Excellent question.

Verbal emphasis + nonverbal cues convey barely-concealed rageiness, enhanced by camera angle. Don't let Ophelia see it.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Reap wrote:And the next guest on The Angry Atheist podcast will be.....Paul Elam. The world just keeps on spinning around doin whatever the fuck it wants doesn't it? Some people would be better off accepting that fact in some instances..... but it is their life to live, or waste.
Paul Elam? that's going to fire up the FTBers!

How about you try a new theme song for The Angry Atheist, just for this episode :D

[youtube]0QPX5FOiyb0[/youtube]
Consider it done

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

BarnOwl wrote:
decius wrote:
The Reaporter.
Reapercussions

The Reaptile House
The Reappearing Thorn in Your Side

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

UnbelieveSteve wrote: I don't think anyone on his list has been suspended yet. Out of the 59 entries so far, 8, no, 9 belong to me. Some are brand new accounts. Yeah i like to troll King Ool0n and that stinky little discharge known as Aratina.
Have to admit, it's as funny as fuck seeing such bold freethinkers and social justice warriors (working for societal change, donchaknow!) greet the idea of being part of a small, censorious enclave with such enthusiasm.

Normal person: what ya doin?
SJW: Building a wall around myself.
Normal person: Oh. Why?
SJW: So I don't have to listen to big meanies like you.
Normal person: O...kay.
SJW: (peeking over the wall, now at nose height) We're on the right side history, you know. We're winning. You're not.
Normal person: Sure.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

@Skeptickle

This Feminist Canard "A Feminist can do whatever she wants." is both naive in the extreme and exactly the sort of ideological nonsense that led their children to often be entitled irresponsible adults. Now I know what it meant to mean is "Feminism should have no dogma on what a woman should choose to do with herself"

However that is not something one would say to children, but telling a child they can do what they want is what makes them think they can do whatever they want, no ramifications and if the big bad world exposes them as useless scheeching wage slaves, then clearly it is the fault of the Patriarchy and not them or their mothers.

Remember anyone can get a PhD not everyone has the cosmic wisdom of mothers, apparently. Which will lead to an interesting schism between childless feminists and mothers, if they ever get around to having any real power.

Well, that went all over the place.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

PZ Myers has defined feminism as "The radical idea that women are people". It's extremely easy to dismiss this statement as a bit of silly sloganeering.
Don't.
A little thought reveals this bumpersticker bon mot is really a trojan horse that would make the Greek army green with envy. It's a brilliant marketing ploy, use a sentiment almost nobody would disagree with as a hook..."women are people"...and couple it with whatever you're trying to sell..."the radical idea". Here's a few variations on the theme to illustrate my point.
Stalinism is the radical idea that people are equal.
Christian Dominionism is the radical idea that Jesus loves you.
Jihad is the radical idea that the world should follow the religion of peace.
See how that works?

What really bothers me about this definition though, is the fact that the people who use it most, Myers, et. al., have demonstrated that they only believe the first half.
"Feminism is the radical idea"...
If one is a true believer in a radical idea no action taken in its defense, no matter how radical or destructive, is too extreme. Any amount of invective or vitriol hurled at you opponent is justified, after all, only someone of sub-human intelligence could fail to see the rightousness of your cause. And you can do whatever the fuck you want to a sub-human. Which brings us to the second half-
"....that women are people".
The baboons don't believe that for a second. If a woman is an orthodox follower of their's she is one of the Enlightened Ones, far above the rest of humanity, superhuman, a demigoddess. If a woman isn't a true believer and doesn't instantly submit to re-education she's a tool of the patriarchy, brainwashed into turning a blind eye to how badly she's being oppressed. She's an oldthinker who unbellyfeels Radfem.
She's an unperson.

LMU

Post by LMU »

decius wrote:
The Reaporter.
Reap Apologist ;)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Badger3k wrote: If he's trying to push his political agenda through his writings, then I won't waste my time. It'd be like reading Huffpo for scientific advice. Appreciate the response.
I do not get the impression he is trying to "push" a specific agenda. He is however, very strongly opinionated, and usually has a deep knowledge of whatever he is going on about.

What I like about him, is how excited he gets about the prospect of learning something, even if it contradicts his current position, and despite the contrary opinion being delivered in a manner that suggests he is a dumbass.

If you fail to deliver, that is when he gets pissed off. After the fact, not before. IOW when it comes to learning something, he appears to have no sacred books.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... does-work/

From the second link:
In more than 51% of the cases EPS has dealt with, alcohol or drugs were involved, Smith said.

There's nothing to indicate why the statistics may have climbed over the past few years.

"It's mind boggling, I don't know why," Smith said.

"I don't even want to hazard a guess."
Oh I can hazard a guess or two.

I could also pull some directly out of my ass, I could also invoke the MRA position on false rape acusations, or the femtheist position about all sex = rape, the slutwalker position on dressing like a slut and staggering around at 2:00 am dressed like a hooker in a dodgy part of town and on the verge of becoming blackout drunk.

Whatever.

I would like to see the data first though. That includes how it was collected and classified.

There are too many people with agendas fucking around and cooking the books to match their ideology on the subject, for me to trust any statistics I read in some newspaper.

Apples

Post by Apples »

I've been watching Joey over at T'Dome being baited and lectured for the past few days about the fact that his wife left work to be a stay-at-home mom. It's very important to the 'Gulag that he admit this choice is damaging to his wife and their family and that the choice has been conditioned by societal choices and oppression and is therefore not really voluntary.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

The Reaps of Rath

Apples

Post by Apples »

I like Reap Apologist. There's also Reap Culture ... Schrödinger's Reapist ... Reap Threat ...

Edina Monsoon

Post by Edina Monsoon »

Reapercussions

Turglemeister

Post by Turglemeister »

Got Reap?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Reap Plus, Reap around the Clock

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Apples wrote:I've been watching Joey over at T'Dome being baited and lectured for the past few days about the fact that his wife left work to be a stay-at-home mom. It's very important to the 'Gulag that he admit this choice is damaging to his wife and their family and that the choice has been conditioned by societal choices and oppression and is therefore not really voluntary.
I also note that Peezee is threatening someone with the banhammer for his actions on the 'unmoderated, open' thread.

His crime. Apparently, er...sounding like a commentator who was banned.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-557361

Reap

Post by Reap »

Jan Steen wrote:
There’s a link to that post at the slymepit at Almost Diamonds. How about you head over there and calmly tell them why they shouldn’t harass, make rape jokes, joke about throwing acid in a woman’s face, make disgusting photoshop images, draw things like Rebecca Watson bound, gagged and covered with semen, stating she’s an object available for two dollars and that they really shouldn’t toss around ‘bitch’ and ‘cunt’? Go ahead, we’ll wait. We’ve been waiting on this for quite some time.
I’m beginning to think that there must be another website, also called the Slymepit, where FTBorg people like Caine see all those horrible things she mentions here. After all, it can’t be that she is just lying through her teeth? Nah, can’t be. Such fine, honest people would never deliberately lie.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-556140
That moron Caine has the #ftbullies hashtag pics on twitter confused and thinks they are from the slymepit.
I think I saw the kinds of pics she is talking about there but those have never been posted in the slymepit to the best of my knowledge. Anyone could post and put the ftbullies tag.

Fuck she is dumb. If I had a dime for everytime she got wrong I'd be driving a brand new car, and if I had a dime for everytime she has claimed someone is dumber than her we would all be driving brand new cars

windy

Post by windy »

Badger3k wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: My bottom line, is that if Razib gives you an aneurism, then you probably have no business reading him at all.

You also probably do not have a deep enough understanding about the subject matter to have an opinion either (no offense meant) that Razib or others like Dienke, Hawks and that lot, or generally many of the people who comment would even bother to consider.
If he's trying to push his political agenda through his writings, then I won't waste my time. It'd be like reading Huffpo for scientific advice. Appreciate the response.
I've been reading his blog on and off for years, and although I'm on the opposite end of the political spectrum, and disagree about some of the inferences he draws from the science, I don't think he's using science to push his politics. I think he's also softened his approach a bit since the gnxp.com days, if that's where you remember him from. But since he doesn't make the usual allowances for sensibilities, for many it goes over as well as Paul W's input did in that recent Pharyngula thread.

I'm disappointed he hasn't kept up with the Finn-baiting after the move to Discover though!