Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
Submariner

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by Submariner »

BarnOwl wrote:
decius wrote:
Reap wrote:Ok ...I need a title for my new blog. Any suggestions? If I do happen to pick one suggested by you then you win the honor of me never writing a harsh word about you, ever....unless you steal my car, or drink my last beer in the fridge. There are limits.
The Reaporter.
Reapercussions

The Reaptile House
Reap-pealed Prohibitions

Dan

Post by Dan »

Reap wrote:Ok ...I need a title for my new blog. Any suggestions? If I do happen to pick one suggested by you then you win the honor of me never writing a harsh word about you, ever....unless you steal my car, or drink my last beer in the fridge. There are limits.
Reap's Privilege?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

mikelf wrote: Bah! That is not anything a traditionalist would ride. This is closer:

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o74 ... 22b191.jpg
Q. What's the hardest part of riding a steel-framed fixie?

A. Telling your mom you're a hipster douchebag.

:teasing-poke:

nippletwister

Re: his voice was probably vibrating with rage

Post by nippletwister »

BarnOwl wrote:
I'm sure assholes shout things at me when I'm running, but I can't hear them now because of my iPod + recently-purchased decent sports earbuds. If the asshole 1) lives in my neighborhood and 2) drives a huge pickup, SUV, or muscle car, then I might bestow one of my special stickers on their vehicle, while out running under cover of dark. The stickers read "Ask me about my TINY PENIS!"

Reminds me of the incident at the university swimming pool when I was in grad school: there was a guy who would pull down his Speedo and expose himself underwater when a women swam by in the next lane. I was asked whether I'd seen him expose himself, because I swam laps there 2 or 3 times per week. I replied, "I don't know - I don't wear my contact lenses while swimming and don't see particularly well without them, so if he exposed himself I couldn't really see anything."

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Of course, I'm a man, and a white one at that, so my experience doesn't count for anything.

First, I'm bald, and I often shave my head. While living in the Hollywood area for only 5 months, on FOUR different occasions, I had people in cars yell, "fuck you, skinhead!!!!! This was in 2001, long after the height of the skinhead days, and in downtown Hollywood, not San Bernardino. Living as a white plurality or minority in small San Joaquin Valley towns, I have been yelled at and threatened by hispanics and blacks on several occasions, with no provocation other than being white.

Living where I've lived, I have never once heard white people doing anything similar (although I am aware that inland SoCal has had some serious race problems in the last couple of decades). None of these people were any poorer than me or the local whites, no power imbalance, no majority status for me. Just low-class assholes raised badly, taking their problems out an any target they can find and legitimize with their hatred. Worse than the redneck whites in Bakersfield, and that's actually saying something.

I would say I have endured far more harassment than any of these Skepchick/A+ assholes, and a much bigger risk of violence. So where's my fucking cookie and pity party and social movement? Oh I forgot, violent thugs are fine in liberal circles, as long as their only targets are white men.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Za-zen wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Quick question: what would you turn a bakery into, knowing there are already 2 bakeries within 100 meters.
A bakery wholesaler.

Or a deli or small diner/cafe that does its own bread/bakery goods as well, but not as expansive as a dedicated bakery.

Post by Guest »

Ape+lust wrote:
Reap Eat Offender
if this doesn't win y'all suck

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

nippletwister wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Wait...what does that even mean? Got to wear a hat?

In my home town there was a little lake at the end of an inlet where wedding parties would always have their picture taken. One of my high school friends Nick would hang out the window as we drove by and yell "Ham and Eggs!"

Well, okay...So he did this a couple or three times and finally I asked "Is that an innuendo?"

He leaned back in the passenger seat and did this huge shit-eating grin he did so well, and said "Means whatever they want it to mean".

Which was cruel, really.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Quick question: what would you turn a bakery into, knowing there are already 2 bakeries within 100 meters.
A fromagerie, of course.

But not this one:

[youtube]B3KBuQHHKx0[/youtube]

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Why hasn't anyone said:

Reap the whirlwind.

I thought it would be the first one out of the box.

Reap

Post by Reap »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote:BINGO I WIN!

http://i.imgur.com/s3CRVpD.jpg

Unfortunately i no longer have the @Secular_Steve Twitter ID. Ool0n is running a 'grab and steal' script and has targeted the pit.
I still have my account running thank fuck, but under my updated ID: @Steve_WCoA, so all is good.
Watch the little cunt. He's a sneaky one. Any modifications you choose to do to your Twitter ID, there's a chance you may not be able to return to it.
Ool0n King Haxxor i salute you. :moon:
Wait, what? That fucker had better not be doing this to me. I have enough fucking bullshit from that piece of shit stalker. If I find Oolon is running that crap on my name, I will fucking rain rage and fire on that little shit. I've been pretty nice 'til now.
WHOOO HOOO! IM NUMBER 1!! Im number ONE! I'm...hey wait I DON'T GIVE A FUCK! After I unbanned him from my blog comments too. Oh well I tried to like him he is just a hopelessly stupid fuck, and thats a dealbreaker for me.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

decius wrote:[quote="jimthepleb"
cycling to and from work in the dark and very early morning opens you up to all the local nutters who need a laugh.
Not here. I do that constantly, except for fun and not on my way to work. I prefer (urban) night rides because of the lack of traffic and lower summer temperatures. Never had a problem.[/quote]

I think it varies widely by region, even within a single large state like California. I'm familiar with Fresno, I could totally see assaulting bicyclists as a pastime for certain teenagers and assholes there, and also, it is a large town with a varied population and a lot of angry poor people angrily commuting, generally just pissed at everything. I now live less than half a state away from Fresno, on the coast. We've had one single incidence of a local driver "pretend swerving" at bicyclists at night to scare them. Probably some stupid kid. He did it two or three times to the same guy, then was never heard from again. No big thing around here, I ride all the time, and we have whole huge groups of seniors, old as hell, 20 or more at a time all over the road, no problems.

You should read the anti-bicyclist rage from, of all places, San Francisco and other Bay area towns. There are people ranting on craigslist about anti-bicyclist murder fantasies on a daily basis.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Richard Dworkins wrote:@Skeptickle

This Feminist Canard "A Feminist can do whatever she wants." is both naive in the extreme and exactly the sort of ideological nonsense that led their children to often be entitled irresponsible adults. Now I know what it meant to mean is "Feminism should have no dogma on what a woman should choose to do with herself"

However that is not something one would say to children, but telling a child they can do what they want is what makes them think they can do whatever they want, no ramifications and if the big bad world exposes them as useless scheeching wage slaves, then clearly it is the fault of the Patriarchy and not them or their mothers.

Remember anyone can get a PhD not everyone has the cosmic wisdom of mothers, apparently. Which will lead to an interesting schism between childless feminists and mothers, if they ever get around to having any real power.

Well, that went all over the place.
Well, sure. First, look up at the current motto of the Slyme Pit (..."women are people AND adults"). Also, I didn't say I thought Amanda Parker's understanding of "feminism" was The Right One, just that I didn't think it fit w/ FtB's understanding (not that she's trying to...just following the chain of RT's back, I came to her twitter feed then blog). Current example:
Apples wrote:I've been watching Joey over at T'Dome being baited and lectured for the past few days about the fact that his wife left work to be a stay-at-home mom. It's very important to the 'Gulag that he admit this choice is damaging to his wife and their family and that the choice has been conditioned by societal choices and oppression and is therefore not really voluntary.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Apples wrote:I've been watching Joey over at T'Dome being baited and lectured for the past few days about the fact that his wife left work to be a stay-at-home mom. It's very important to the 'Gulag that he admit this choice is damaging to his wife and their family and that the choice has been conditioned by societal choices and oppression and is therefore not really voluntary.
*shrug*

Standard position from the sort of theology the baboons appear to favour. The baboon model of family probably encompasses woman and children only (preferably female).

It is pretty much what some conservatives would call an "anti-family" position.

(By which they mean the sort of "progressive" attitude, which absolutely hates the "traditional" husband and wife model, where they work together in positions that complement each other, and each regards and esteems the other with approval and affection.)

In any event the Judgy Bitch here would probably have them in hysterics (have I linked this before? can not be arsed to check actually)
http://judgybitch.com/2013/01/23/i-dont ... tch/[quote]
New study by some ivory tower eggheads at the University of California, Berkeley! I know, I know! You’re so excited already! Researchers have noted that when women have decision-making power at home, they no longer give a rat’s ass about gaining power at work. It seems that women, especially mothers, are intensely satisfied when they have the power to determine how their homes run, how their children are raised and what the family will be having for dinner. Some women, get this, DON’T WORK OUTSIDE THE HOME AT ALL!

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 011713.php

No seriously. Apparently, there are adult, grown-up women who find sufficient meaning in caring for their families that they don’t spend one single second of their lives in a cubicle shuffling paper for cold hard cash.[/quote]

(underline is mine)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

windy wrote: I'm disappointed he hasn't kept up with the Finn-baiting after the move to Discover though!
Ahahahaha!

Are you of say, Danish extract?

Muhahahaha!

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Reappearances

Apples

Post by Apples »

Apparently abear has gone over to Brayton's blog to point out the double-standard about "violent threats" over at FTB. It's a good little read:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/ ... of-demons/

And Caine does us all a favor over at T'Dome:
Caine, poisoned chalice wrote:Oh goodness me, abear is just going to milk that for all it’s worth. I note that neither Tethys the Possessed nor Chris Clarke the Evil have bothered to show up on his doorstep with broken bottles and banhammer.
Thanks for pointing that out Caine -- maybe you could remind Ophelia, who is busy yammering about "online hate harassment" over on her blog, even as we speak, comparing herself to a communist Swedish journalist who apparently pissed off a bunch of right-wing nationalists.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... #more-6579

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Skep tickle wrote:

This Feminist Canard "A Feminist can do whatever she wants." is both naive in the extreme and exactly the sort of ideological nonsense that led their children to often be entitled irresponsible adults. Now I know what it meant to mean is "Feminism should have no dogma on what a woman should choose to do with herself"

However that is not something one would say to children, but telling a child they can do what they want is what makes them think they can do whatever they want, no ramifications and if the big bad world exposes them as useless scheeching wage slaves, then clearly it is the fault of the Patriarchy and not them or their mothers.

Remember anyone can get a PhD not everyone has the cosmic wisdom of mothers, apparently. Which will lead to an interesting schism between childless feminists and mothers, if they ever get around to having any real power.

Well, sure. First, look up at the current motto of the Slyme Pit (..."women are people AND adults"). Also, I didn't say I thought Amanda Parker's understanding of "feminism" was The Right One, just that I didn't think it fit w/ FtB's understanding (not that she's trying to...just following the chain of RT's back, I came to her twitter feed then blog). Current example:
Yes. This is what I mean the ramification of telling your children "you can do what you want" is that when they grow up the may well turn out to be exactly the sort of people who presume that any restriction on them "doing what they want" is oppression and that those of the FtB ilk seem to be exemplars of that. There often self confessed social ineptitude, their tantrums, their claims of harrassment, are all symptomatic of those who have not had realistic boundaries placed upon them. I would assume that many of these people are students or have spent their lives in the periphery of academia.

I'm sure any here that have will appreciate it is often a very insular cossetted existence outside of the mainstream where many never develop beyond their adolescent beliefs and behaviours because they are validated and reinforced rather than challenged, they are caricatures of themselves. I have met a clutch of such in varied different flavours in mostly everywhere I worked. Some are brilliant minds, but one note and often dysfunctional otherwise.

We used to dump them in monastries, now I think we dump them in Humanities.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Za-zen wrote:Why hasn't anyone said:

Reap the whirlwind.

I thought it would be the first one out of the box.
I like this one! Keeps up the Reap-Sow theme too.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

REAP CULTURE.

jg64

Post by jg64 »

Reaproduction

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Reap culture gets my vote.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

justinvacula wrote:Reap culture gets my vote.

ditto

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Skeeve wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Reap culture gets my vote.

ditto
How many blogs does one man need?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Reaper Madness

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Charnel House

Git

Post by Git »

Ditto ditto

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Submariner wrote:Reaper Madness
:lol: That one gets my vote.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

That got my....vote

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

My fav so far. It works with or without any further reference to pot/drugs.

If you're going to do a lot of honest social criticism featuring feminist stuff, then Reap Culture is awesome, but if you want broader significance, I think it would just be asking for trouble and a baboon attack. Tough call. It's a great play on words, I really like it in the context of the current gender wars, but there are definite connotations that will have an impact you may not always be able to spin.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Reaper Silly

:D

windy

Post by windy »

AndrewV69 wrote:
windy wrote: I'm disappointed he hasn't kept up with the Finn-baiting after the move to Discover though!
Ahahahaha!

Are you of say, Danish extract?
No, I'm Finnish. We're just secretly happy that someone is paying attention.

BTW, a good comment on the follow-up post on cultural anthro, from someone who wishes to remain anonymous:
"While you are right about the pathology of modern cultural anthropology, I think you are wrong about why the discipline is pathological. I am an anthropologist who has to bear with an especially sanctimonious group of colleagues on a daily basis. They may talk a fashionable leftist game, but I see no evidence that they give a rat's ass about actual people. They are not consumed with leftist politics or advocacy. Indeed, they are quite politically apathetic. What they all care about immensely is theory for its own end.

It's a common mistake for outside critics -- especially conservative ones -- to see what cultural anthropologists are doing as being overly political advocacy (see, e.g., Nicholas Wade). I can say from a comfortable position on the left that my colleagues at [Elite California School] are no great leftists. They are, as far as I can tell, a bunch of unreflective elitists who like to play at leftist cultural criticism but really couldn't give less of a fuck about the struggles of actual people."
Reaper madness FTW!

Dan

Post by Dan »

What about something positive like Reap Enabler?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Richard Dworkins wrote: We used to dump them in monastries, now I think we dump them in Humanities.
And just one reason why I fled the Humanities for Computer Science.

(nothing more pathetic than the "technical" language of the postmodern imbeciles)

However, on the surface there is absolutely nothing wrong with the approach. The devil is in the details. Consider the following:

http://hsc.csu.edu.au/english/advanced/ ... eeches.htm

The red flag is underlined.
The syllabus for this module requires you to:

engage with and develop an informed personal understanding of the text;
through the critical analysis and evaluation of the text’s language, content and construction develop an appreciation of the text’s textual integrity:
refine your understanding and interpretations of the prescribed text and critically consider these in the light of the perspectives of others; and
explore how context influences your own and others’ responses to the text and how the text has been received and valued.
If the Prof subscribes to Critical Theory your goose is cooked, or quite simply you are fucked into a rabbit hole where you find yourself in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.

Upon emerging, you are a newly minted SJW and/or insane, or you have absconded having attained persona non grata status among the holy. Or you managed to STFU, did the exercises and come up with the approved responses and escaped never to darken their doorstep again.

Post by Guest »

The Reaperbahn.

Fear the Reaper.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Dan wrote:
What about something positive like Reap Enabler?
Or you could go all dark and shit with The Grim Reaper

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Charnel House

Funny, that phrase sounded familiar to me but I couldn't find the connection in my brain.....the sound of the syllables and the capitalization made it sound to me like some kind of perfume manufacturer or seller of fancy household wares, or maybe a christian record company or some such. So I googled, and the first thing that my brain produced was: "Charnel House fine furnishings invites you to visit our showroom, where we have a HUGE FUCKING PILE OF SKULLS!!!!!"

Sorry, I'm from California, we have no culture or sense of history and we don't really much respect our dead, at least not in any ritualistic way beyond a 20-minute funeral.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:

Yes. This is what I mean the ramification of telling your children "you can do what you want" is that when they grow up the may well turn out to be exactly the sort of people who presume that any restriction on them "doing what they want" is oppression and that those of the FtB ilk seem to be exemplars of that. There often self confessed social ineptitude, their tantrums, their claims of harrassment, are all symptomatic of those who have not had realistic boundaries placed upon them. I would assume that many of these people are students or have spent their lives in the periphery of academia.

I'm sure any here that have will appreciate it is often a very insular cossetted existence outside of the mainstream where many never develop beyond their adolescent beliefs and behaviours because they are validated and reinforced rather than challenged, they are caricatures of themselves. I have met a clutch of such in varied different flavours in mostly everywhere I worked. Some are brilliant minds, but one note and often dysfunctional otherwise.

We used to dump them in monastries, now I think we dump them in Humanities.
I think some have Sociopathic tendencies. They don't understand why their words upset people so much so they set up a whole line of defences to try and deal with it. Couple that with being spoilt and indulged brats all their life and you have a recipe for social disaster. I rarely see such self absorption outside A+ and FtB. Oh, and they seem to posses no sense of humour what so ever so fail to grasp irony or satire. Not all are like that, there are also some deliberately stirring the pot for their own political agendas.

If Atheism Plus did not have the word Atheism in it I would not give a toss about them (it has nothing to do with atheism anyway) But people looking to receive help or information about atheism are in for a shock and may get a terrible impression which, unfortunately, they will accept as a general rule due to their own religious indoctrination.

The very idea that to be a free thinker or atheist REQUIRES Rad Fem doctrine is asinine. IF they want to chat about their feminism good luck to them, just don't high-jack another belief system to do it. That is dishonest. Their whole approach is based on a delusion and a lie.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Skep tickle wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
decius wrote:
The Reaporter.
Reapercussions

The Reaptile House
The Reappearing Thorn in Your Side
Reap Tide

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

So, here's the stuff: In about 12 hours, I will have to convince my father that the best solution for the family bakery would be to keep it, well, in the family.

It was opened by my grandfather in 1946, right after the war. Nice location, vast laboratory at the back, bit of pavement for a terrasse (yes, we have the green-light for that), about 20 square meters of "client space". There are two other bakeries in the imediat vicinity. Three restaurants too. A take-away Lebanese shop as well. And a seafood joint.

The only thing we don't have in this neighborhood is a Wifi access for the public. So while I lolded at some suggestions here, if I get the chance to manage the place, free internet access and a couple of computers plus coffee tables are on my top list.

Other ideas are more than welcome. Yet again, 12 hours to wait. My dad is quite good at telling me to fuck off.

BarnOwl: I'm SO stealing the fruit smoochies idea!

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Tigzy wrote:
UnbelieveSteve wrote: I don't think anyone on his list has been suspended yet. Out of the 59 entries so far, 8, no, 9 belong to me. Some are brand new accounts. Yeah i like to troll King Ool0n and that stinky little discharge known as Aratina.
Have to admit, it's as funny as fuck seeing such bold freethinkers and social justice warriors (working for societal change, donchaknow!) greet the idea of being part of a small, censorious enclave with such enthusiasm.

Normal person: what ya doin?
SJW: Building a wall around myself.
Normal person: Oh. Why?
SJW: So I don't have to listen to big meanies like you.
Normal person: O...kay.
SJW: (peeking over the wall, now at nose height) We're on the right side history, you know. We're winning. You're not.
Normal person: Sure.
Perfect. That could be the seed for a really funny Rocko reading.

Mykeru

There is Hope!

Post by Mykeru »

[youtube]bsND7aibvOQ[/youtube]

This could end Atheism Plus if 1. It's aerosol and 2. We rent a crop duster.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Skep tickle wrote:I poked around a while on ologies' and amandapalmer's blogs; seems like each might describe s/h/its-self as feminist but neither would seem to fit the FtB ideal of feminism.
It seems odd that the "FtB model" of feminism is taken to be this really hard-line version. From what I have seen that may actually be the case (I'm not that interested in the gender wars stuff), but isn't it just a bit weird?

I love Amanda Palmer by the way:

[youtube]8C17yfGyJjM[/youtube]

I think that video or album got some flak from Anita Sarkeesian, not sure, I think it was referenced in a YouTube video posted here.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

The Reapository

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

So What?

Reappoint

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

decius wrote:
The Reaporter.
Reap Culture.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, here's the stuff: In about 12 hours, I will have to convince my father that the best solution for the family bakery would be to keep it, well, in the family.

It was opened by my grandfather in 1946, right after the war. Nice location, vast laboratory at the back, bit of pavement for a terrasse (yes, we have the green-light for that), about 20 square meters of "client space". There are two other bakeries in the imediat vicinity. Three restaurants too. A take-away Lebanese shop as well. And a seafood joint.

The only thing we don't have in this neighborhood is a Wifi access for the public. So while I lolded at some suggestions here, if I get the chance to manage the place, free internet access and a couple of computers plus coffee tables are on my top list.

Other ideas are more than welcome. Yet again, 12 hours to wait. My dad is quite good at telling me to fuck off.

BarnOwl: I'm SO stealing the fruit smoochies idea!
I'm pretty amazed that none of the other places have wi-fi. If I were you i'd convince your dad to get it, but not bother with the computers. It'd be short term... if it actually gives any advantage at all then your competitors will just, get wi-fi. If there's offices around i'd just make sure I was under-cutting the competition on sandwiches and advertising that fact right outside the bakery. Even if you made a slight loss on the sandwiches, i'll bet most people will buy crisps, drink, muffin or something else to make up for it.

Internet advice though, you can't sue.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
"Reap Culture"?
Ah, fuck it. That'll teach me not to read forward after I come back drunk from a long lunch...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Sane Asylum.
Thelyphthoric Slubberdegullions Inc.
Abracuntabra.
Tear Muffs.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Mykeru wrote:

Actually, I do have a fixed gear bike. Although, since I started riding a fixed gear back in 1985, the correct taxon is "retrogrouch."

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:I poked around a while on ologies' and amandapalmer's blogs; seems like each might describe s/h/its-self as feminist but neither would seem to fit the FtB ideal of feminism.
It seems odd that the "FtB model" of feminism is taken to be this really hard-line version. From what I have seen that may actually be the case (I'm not that interested in the gender wars stuff), but isn't it just a bit weird?

I love Amanda Palmer by the way:

[youtube]8C17yfGyJjM[/youtube]

I think that video or album got some flak from Anita Sarkeesian, not sure, I think it was referenced in a YouTube video posted here.

That's the thing...it's not "hard-line' in a "kill all the men" sort of way, like some of the crazier true radfems. But at the same time, it is quite "hard-line" in the amount of control over social attitudes being sought, the amount of power people expect to wield through simple emotional weaseling. If something makes a teenage girl cry, we're all supposed to wail and gnash teeth and tear down the damned patriarchy for this horrible abomination. Also, their concepts of "privilege" are naive and inflexible. They are not up for debate on any of it. It's the tribal aspect that is "hard-line", and it stands out like a naked man at a daycare center when they try to pull the emotional blackmail routines in a skeptical social scene. At best, it's fucking hilarious to see it fail to work on people who despise attempts at emotional control. You know....rationalists, skeptics, the non-religious....

They're not saying "we need to castrate all these men", but they are saying that when a woman feels that some video games are sexist in her opinion, we need to all rally and change an entire industry and keep them from doing what their customers want. Or that making any woman feel uncomfortable for any reason, no matter how innocently, is obviously a boundary issue and a harassment problem that needs to be dealt with, and if you don't agree, you must hate women and be fat and ugly.

Basically, they are "hard-line" when it comes to refusing to grow up and treat others as equals.

LMU

Post by LMU »

mikelf wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

Actually, I do have a fixed gear bike. Although, since I started riding a fixed gear back in 1985, the correct taxon is "retrogrouch."
So you're saying you were a hipster before it was cool? ;)

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

There was a discussion here recently about Hitler's vegetarianism wasn't there?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2KS1eQ7iq
For more than two years Margot Woelk had to taste Hitler's food to ensure it was not poisoned.
She feasted on fresh fruit and vegetables including asparagus, peppers and peas, while her fellow Germans were being rationed.
Mrs Woelk, now 95, was one of a dozen women the Fuhrer used to protect himself at his Eastern front HQ known as the Wolf's Lair.
'It was all vegetarian, the most delicious fresh things, from asparagus to peppers and peas, served with rice, and salads. It was all arranged on one plate, just as it was served to him.'
She did not recall tasting any meat or fish and did not have to try out drinks.
The Mail is a shit rag but I will believe this story from them, they have their connections.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

AbsurdWalls wrote: The Mail is a shit rag but I will believe this story from them, they have their connections.
They certainly did back in the day - 'let's hear it for the Blackshirts!' :lol:

The Daily Heil has never lived it down. But then again, The Daily Heil has never really demonstrated that it wants to, either.

cunt

Post by cunt »

AbsurdWalls wrote:There was a discussion here recently about Hitler's vegetarianism wasn't there?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2KS1eQ7iq
For more than two years Margot Woelk had to taste Hitler's food to ensure it was not poisoned.
She feasted on fresh fruit and vegetables including asparagus, peppers and peas, while her fellow Germans were being rationed.
Mrs Woelk, now 95, was one of a dozen women the Fuhrer used to protect himself at his Eastern front HQ known as the Wolf's Lair.
'It was all vegetarian, the most delicious fresh things, from asparagus to peppers and peas, served with rice, and salads. It was all arranged on one plate, just as it was served to him.'
She did not recall tasting any meat or fish and did not have to try out drinks.
The Mail is a shit rag but I will believe this story from them, they have their connections.
I don't even really get what the article is supposed to be saying. A vegetarian diet gives you a longer life because this woman ate a few veggie meals back in the 1940s? It might even be true that a vegetarian diet helps you live longer statistically but that article does a piss poor job of making the case.

windy

Post by windy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:So, here's the stuff: In about 12 hours, I will have to convince my father that the best solution for the family bakery would be to keep it, well, in the family.

"Vast laboratory"?? I'd heard that the French have food down to a science, but I didn't know it was that literal.
nippletwister wrote:Or a deli or small diner/cafe that does its own bread/bakery goods as well, but not as expansive as a dedicated bakery.
Someone I know has a place like this, they also sell expensive local produce. Keeping afloat so far, fwiw.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Badger3k wrote: If he's trying to push his political agenda through his writings, then I won't waste my time. It'd be like reading Huffpo for scientific advice. Appreciate the response.
I do not get the impression he is trying to "push" a specific agenda. He is however, very strongly opinionated, and usually has a deep knowledge of whatever he is going on about.

What I like about him, is how excited he gets about the prospect of learning something, even if it contradicts his current position, and despite the contrary opinion being delivered in a manner that suggests he is a dumbass.

If you fail to deliver, that is when he gets pissed off. After the fact, not before. IOW when it comes to learning something, he appears to have no sacred books.
Good point on the 'push' angle. I probably could have phrased it better. I think you got it right, though. Maybe I'll try him again and se if he can change my opinions, or perhaps challenge them.

mordacious1

Bikes

Post by mordacious1 »

All this talk of bikes makes me want to get my Koga-Miyata out of the garage and finish refurbing it. The reason it got put in there to begin with though, is we have narrow roads (few bike lanes) here and over half the population is octogenarians, another quarter are meth addicts. One takes one's life in one's hands when one hits the road (literally) in Western Nevada County, CA.

Definition of a bike lane here: Where the road sweepers put the glass, nails and rocks from the roadway.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

The Reapo Man?

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

AndrewV69 wrote: If the Prof subscribes to Critical Theory your goose is cooked, or quite simply you are fucked into a rabbit hole where you find yourself in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
The issue with that is less critical theory and more the misunderstanding of the fundamental idea (which is based around Arch Sophist Derrida's idea of deconstruction as I am sure you are aware). For example they exclude two major points in such one made by Derrida himself and another which is accepted as fallacy of literary critique. "There is nothing outside the text" and "One cannot derive authorial intent." Such a method is entirely about symbol use, it is an attempt to analyse in an objective way, the dynamic of sign not content.

While I think personally Post-modernism is a return to pre-neolithic thinking, I understand it. The post-modern psuedo-academia that has wholeheartedly co-opted this idea are oblivious to it's meaning or use which contradicts their often sloppy versions of Marxist ideology rather than supports it. They are prone to sophistry and ad-hominem because they are defending a personal idea as an objective one. I have seen enough of "what feminism is" by feminists who contradict each other to realise it is nothing but an empty symbol used to hint at any vague suggestion that somewhere an individual women or a society of women are being wronged, deliberately, by men. Feminism is a faith proposition exactly like that of a deity, an empty container for one's own subjective beliefs.

And like a deity it is an emotional aspect and when challenged one who has faith in such they will tend to react emotionally. It has it's sinners, misogynists and chill girls, it has demons in the form of Rapists. It even hints at a paradisical state of egalitarianism and the fall from grace because of evil men.

You are correct, they have placed themselves in a maze with no centre or exit. They are neither skeptics nor atheists. Athenists perhaps.