Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
ThreeFlangedJavis

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Brive1987 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:03 am
Like Pink Floyd, it’s all in the anticipation.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Phil Collins
10 years ago, he couldn't even hold drumsticks, or wipe his own ass... felt he had become a joke, so he abandoned his past-- devoted himself to collecting artifacts from The Alamo-- and wanted to be known as Phillip, moved to Switzerland. His timing was pretty-bad-- because the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was introducing his music to a younger crowd.

Then-- more health probs-- pancreatitis, deaf in one ear, nerve damage, crumbling vertebrae, booze... marriage fell apart.

More recently-- he donated his $15M Alamo collection to the Alamo-- but when (woke) Alamo-adjacent people took potshots at him for possibly spending top dollar on fake stuff... he yanked their chain & said he could easily Not Donate the stuff... they need to decide if they want to talk shit/ or get the collection.

He returned to music touring in some capacity... reuniting with the other Genesis dorks... continuing into 2021... but his son plays the drums. He mostly confined to a wheelchair, can stand with a cane. Looks like a feeble old grey man.

I dunno... all that is more interesting than if he just kept being the late-stage boomer rockstar.
I got free tickets to a Genesis stadium concert around 1994 or 1997... had to be cajoled into going... walked in late... watched 1 & 1/2 songs... bland canned football-halftime-show atmosphere... I said 'this is bullshit' & left.

Rod Stewart builds model trains. https://allthatsinteresting.com/rod-ste ... del-trains

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:44 am
Rod Stewart builds model trains. https://allthatsinteresting.com/rod-ste ... del-trains
But Stewart isn't the only rock star who dabbles in model trains. The Who's Roger Daltrey, Phil Collins, Neil Young, The Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood, and pianist Jools Holland also share in the hobby.
Who knew. I suppose money can only buy you so much amusement and even the rich have to find something down to earth to fill the time and keep them going. I'd like to think I'd spend the cash exploring the Amazon or trying to solve some great zoological or archaeological mystery. I admit to a sneaking suspicion that I'd get up at 4pm and lie around if I had the money. There's an equal likelihood I'd hit the gym hard and live a spartan existence. Fairly sure I wouldn't drink and do drugs though, just pies and cheesecake if it went the unhealthy way.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote: ...all that is more interesting than if he just kept being the late-stage boomer rockstar.
Seems rather a subjective assessment...

Interesting is overrated...and not just for the Chinese.

More power to him - and to anyone - that finds something that interests them (without harming others, of course).

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Governor Cuomo on tv this morning: calling for a "Vaccine Only" New York.

And erasing the line between The State and Private Business... via the 'Excelsior Pass' vaccination/ surveillance/ tracking/ passport app.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: Some 36 million cases recorded and 600,000 dead, or about 1.7%. While it's impressive and to be commended that the US has done some 530 million tests, I rather doubt 36 million cases qualifies as "herd immunity" - seems likely that a large percentage of the population has in fact been tested and unlikely yet to have been exposed to the virus.
IDK where the 530 million tests figure came from, but it's obviously not 530 million Americans tested. Most people haven't been tested, so some are getting tested over and over.

I've seen estimates that 1/3 of the population has been exposed. Most people never even realize it. Half the population has now been vaccinated. Some overlap, including intentional and pointless vaccination of positives. So let's call it c. 75%. Plenty enough for herd immunity already.

Offhand, it seems that letting nature take its course could mean, on the basis of US population about 10 times that 36 million cases, some 6 million US dead assuming the same mortality rate. Given that the typical mortality rate is about 0.8 % - about 3 million dead every year in any case - that "letting nature take its course" seems rather cavalier at best.
No.
In your calculation, you plug in CFR where IFR should go.

From CDC, the latest survivability rates by age group:
0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70+: 94.6%

Most of the elderly have been vaccinated. Many of the rest are already dead. Covid poses no threat to healthy young people. Letting young people acquire natural immunity would result in ZERO deaths (assuming those with comorbitities got vaccinated).

For a guy supposedly not in the anti-vax camp, you sure do look to be peddling many of their "talking points".
Anti-vaxx TP are vaccines: cause autism, rearrange your DNA, poison you with mercury and other 'toxins', insert Bill Gates' microchip, etc.

I'm anti- forcing people who don't need it to get an experimental treatment that poses far greater risk of side effects than the virus, under the guise of the need to reach already-reached herd immunity.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Pitchguest wrote: I still keep seeing reports on Covid on just how supposedly deadly it is, but I don't think they know the meaning of the word "deadly" or its connotation. There have been almost 200 million cases of Covid worldwide, and how many of those have died from Covid (or that they say died from Covid and not underlying causes like cancer or other diseases or unrelated injuries like, say, the breaking of one's neck)? 4.2 million. Now, of the nearly 200 million cases of Covid in the world, 4.2 million gets us to roughly 2%. That means it has a survival rate of 98%. That's "deadly"? Sure, it's "deadly" in the sense that it worsens conditions for those who were already worse off, but is it "deadly" in the sense that we need to shut down the whole planet?
They frighten the sheeple about deaths by citing numbers of cases.

What_spike.jpg
(34.78 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

There's a house on the upper east side of Manhattan, which operates as a gay bar. I think it has done-so for many years. I don't think it's a licensed bar, or a members-only private club. I've only heard mention of it from Fang, in passing, and I wasn't curious to know the details.

My friend Fang went there recently-- with a couple friends. After they settled in with drinks-- an employee approached & asked to see proof they are vaccinated. Fang got flustered-- said, 'Oh, I forgot my card. I'll just leave.' The truth is, he's not jabbed because he has AIDS.

In the past, gay bars resisted ID scanners and cameras at the door-- to protect the privacy of their clientele. And mandatory IDs, forehead barcodes, & pink stars-- for those with AIDS or who were Born That Way-- would not have been welcome.

Faggots who don't demand that other faggots respect their rights-- deserve what comes next. I hope they sort this out between themselves.

I'm not inclined to think of this as 'my fight'. If the house doesn't wanna 'bake gay wedding cakes', that's their business, not mine.

Maybe that's the wrong attitude. 'First they came for the gaylords...'

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

The initial reviews are in - "The Green Knight" appears to be something of an art-house masterpiece! I've only read two reviews and skim-watched 4 or 5 YT critic vids, but it looks like it's going to be worth watching. Fingers crossed...

https://media.aintitcool.com/media/uplo ... knight.jpg

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Bullet in the head, unmarked grave, job done.

As someone in the comments section rightly said, I hope his poor mother is so far-gone, she doesn't realize it was her own son who done that to her.

Christ almighty, it's enough to make me start boozing again...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: The initial reviews are in - "The Green Knight" appears to be something of an art-house masterpiece! I've only read two reviews and skim-watched 4 or 5 YT critic vids, but it looks like it's going to be worth watching. Fingers crossed...

https://media.aintitcool.com/media/uplo ... knight.jpg
The casting of Gawain not workin' for me.

Gawain.jpg
(31.59 KiB) Downloaded 177 times

John D

Post by John D »

Yeee Haw. My wife stopped taking Cymbalta and started with Trintellix. Wow. What a change.

She has become mean as hell.... screaming at the dog and taking everything I say in the worst possible fashion. Trintellix is the "bitch" drug.

She has been suicidality depressed for years... but... she never pulls the trigger on in. It think her fatigue and her ADD prevents her from carrying anything out. Too much effort.

But this Trintellix. Holy shit. She has been awake for 24 hours right now. I'm gonna hide my pistol.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: Yeee Haw. My wife stopped taking Cymbalta and started with Trintellix. Wow. What a change.

She has become mean as hell.... screaming at the dog and taking everything I say in the worst possible fashion. Trintellix is the "bitch" drug.

She has been suicidality depressed for years... but... she never pulls the trigger on in. It think her fatigue and her ADD prevents her from carrying anything out. Too much effort.

But this Trintellix. Holy shit. She has been awake for 24 hours right now. I'm gonna hide my pistol.
There is an increased risk of suicide following the introduction of anti-depressants, because the patient suddenly has motivation and drive.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Yikes.

I wonder if she's withdrawing from the opioid-ish component of Cymbalta.

"I can honestly tell you that going off Cymbalta was worse than going off any opioid I’ve ever been on. At least with opioids it only takes like 18 hours to get out of your system, and when it’s over, it’s over. Cymbalta lingered. It took it’s time with me. It gradually poured on the withdrawal symptoms in a tortuous piling on.

So, a week after I went off it, I went back on it.

Apparently though, I’m not the only one staring down at a lifetime of daily Cymbalta doses. According to the Internet, (always a reliable source) there’s a possible class action lawsuit being brought against Eli Lilly.

“Studies show that between 50% and 78% of Cymbalta users experience antidepressant withdrawal symptoms after discontinuing the drug. Yet the drug label misleadingly states that Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms occur in only 1% to 2% of cases,” claims attorney Steven D. Gacovino."
https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories ... t-cymbalta

Or if the two drugs are overlapping:
https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/c ... e-3558314/

or maybe it's just the Trintellix...

"Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself." https://www.drugs.com/trintellix.html

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: Some 36 million cases recorded and 600,000 dead, or about 1.7%. While it's impressive and to be commended that the US has done some 530 million tests, I rather doubt 36 million cases qualifies as "herd immunity" - seems likely that a large percentage of the population has in fact been tested and unlikely yet to have been exposed to the virus.
IDK where the 530 million tests figure came from, but it's obviously not 530 million Americans tested. Most people haven't been tested, so some are getting tested over and over.
You bother to follow the link provided? It’s right there at the top, one of the columns for all countries, America included: 530 million Americans tested.

Though you probably have a point that many people are getting retested, but even assuming the average is three that would appear to mean that some 180 million separate Americans have been tested. Out of which some 36 million have tested positive; presumably, almost everyone exposed to the virus will test positive so that maybe includes 70 to 100 million people in the whole population.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I've seen estimates that 1/3 of the population has been exposed. Most people never even realize it. Half the population has now been vaccinated. Some overlap, including intentional and pointless vaccination of positives. So let's call it c. 75%. Plenty enough for herd immunity already.
As indicated, that is probably consistent with the calculations above. But that means you’re prepared to see, absent any policy of vaccination, three times the number of American dead (630,000) so far? You and Pitchguest and General Buck Turgidson – “ten to 20 million dead, tops, depending on the breaks” .... :roll:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Most people never even realize it. Half the population has now been vaccinated. Some overlap, including intentional and pointless vaccination of positives. So let's call it c. 75%. Plenty enough for herd immunity already.
That last bit seems somewhat overly optimistic. And your own calculations are based on a substantial percentage of the population being vaccinated which, if you had had your way, probably would not have been the case. Hardly seems cricket at best to be throwing stones at an argument and a policy that you also subsequently rely on.

On a slightly different tack, I’m actually somewhat sympathetic to your view, and that of Pitchguest, that the response has been somewhat overly draconian – even 2% of the population dead before herd immunity kicks in means only 140 million dead; peanuts in a big operation like humanity ... – and that our “scientists” haven’t exactly covered themselves in glory – The Gang that Couldn’t Shoot Straight in far too many cases.

But I can’t help but get the impression – which you’re not doing much to dispel – that you’re fellow-travelers with far too many of those on the right, in particular, for whom “skepticism of the press and of academic experts has been a paramount fetish”. As Andersen put it in his Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire, the last chapter alone of which is worth the price of the book.

Somewhat surprising in a way as I seem to recollect that you were one of those most vocal and largely justified in, I will somewhat belatedly more or less concede, your criticisms of Trump prior to the 2016 election. A couple of quotes from Fantasyland, including a quote therein of a NYTimes editorial:
... three cover stories and countless other articles about [Trump], dozens of pages exposing and satirizing his lies, brutishness, egomania, and absurdity.

[Trump] is driven by resentment of the Establishment. He doesn’t like experts because they interfere with his right as an American to believe or pretend that fictions are facts, to feel the truth.

“Trump understood at least one thing better than almost everybody”, that the “breakdown of a shared public reality built upon widely accepted facts represented not a hazard, but an opportunity.” [NYT]
As Andersen suggests or argues, it’s hard not to now see Trump as P.T. Barnum, “the apotheosis and exemplar of Fantasyland”, a pimple on the ass of America if not the manifestation of a fourth-stage cancer therein and if not of the world, the “J’Accuse” of history – assuming we have much more of it – to this era, the synopsis of and paradigm for the bill particulars against pretty much all of us.

As I’ve said, there’s a great deal of justification to throw stones at many of our so-called “academic experts”. And a case in point is the rather risible and quite damning phenomenon, if not an outright circus, of a large percentage of the biological community dogmatically insisting that sex is a spectrum and a more or less equally large percentage insisting that it’s a binary, immutable and exhaustive (no organism much less any human is sexless) – more of which later.

But unfortunately, those attacks on the press and academic experts have, not surprisingly, led to an almost total mistrust of anything that comes from those quarters. As Anderson notes, it’s caused the “effective brainwashing of the core of our audience”, the destruction of pretty much everyone’s “immunity to false information”.

And a big part of that is, as Sagan argued, that some 97% of Americans – and probably an equal or greater percentage in other countries – are more or less scientifically illiterate; they haven’t a fucking clue about even the most basic principles of science so are suckers for the first P.T. Barnum-wannabe that comes along. Much of the blame for which might reasonably be laid at the doorsteps of significant portions of the scientific community itself, although certainly not all of it.

No doubt some of those principles are rather obscure or convoluted, and, unfortunately or not, there’s no Pope of Science who can put on his, her, or its cloak of Papal Infallibility and disseminate gospel truth to their flock.

But not all of those or even the most fundamental ones are beyond the grasp of anyone with any claim at all to being rational and self-aware and willing to think about the facts. And one of the most fundamental of those is categorization: birds and bees do it – even wasps do it and with logic:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/scie ... -test.html

It’s intrinsic to the ancient bed-rock decision, based on categorization, of “fight or flight”. Or fuck as the case may be. All of which probably goes back at least as far as the beginning of sex some 2 billion years ago. As Pinker put it:

Pinker_HowTheMindWorks_Categories.jpg
(57.51 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

We simply can’t have much of a claim to being a scientific and rational civilization if we refuse to understand the process of categorization and the consequences of doing so, if so many of us insist on “believing or pretending that fictions are facts, on feeling the truth, on putting what feels good over what’s true”.

And the crux of the matter there, largely where the rubber meets the road in so many ways and in so many venues, is that, by definition, the sexes are, in a biological context, defined on the basis of actually having functional gonads, that those who don’t have any – transwomen who cut their nuts off for example – are, ipso facto, sexless:

Aeon_Griffiths_ExistenceOfSex_2B.jpg
(186.57 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

Now you can, if you wish, define male and female, for “social justice” purposes, to be based on genitalia, on having concave or convex mating surfaces – as with plumbing and electrical connectors. You can fall-in behind and genuflect to the “patchwork definitions for the sexes used in social sciences that are purely descriptive and which lack any functional rationale”:

ResearchGate_DelGiudice_IdeologicalBias1A.jpg
(278.16 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

And that are clearly little short of outright Lysenkoism.

Although if that’s to be your position then it seems moot how you could then reasonably and logically deny the claims of denutted XYers with their “neovaginas” to compete in women’s sports: you can’t have your cake and eat it too. There are either objective criteria to qualify for membership in categories - the sexes in particular - or there aren't, or it's all a matter of "self-identification".

But in that latter case then you’re forced to deal with the fact of two quite contradictory and entirely antithetical definitions for the sexes. How will you compartmentalize them? One set of definitions for the science classes in schools and another set for the social and gender studies classes? “from contradiction, anything follows (ex falso [sequitur] quodlibet); rank insanity.

Easy to throw stones at the anti-vaxxers. But I’m not at all sure that you – and many others here – are not part of the same problem; that you’re not refusing to deal with the elephant in the living room and the not inconsiderable if not quite sticky consequences of it being there.

Trump is hardly alone in insisting on “his right as an American to believe or pretend that fictions are facts, to feel the truth.”

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: Yikes.

I wonder if she's withdrawing from the opioid-ish component of Cymbalta.

"I can honestly tell you that going off Cymbalta was worse than going off any opioid I’ve ever been on. At least with opioids it only takes like 18 hours to get out of your system, and when it’s over, it’s over. Cymbalta lingered. It took it’s time with me. It gradually poured on the withdrawal symptoms in a tortuous piling on.

So, a week after I went off it, I went back on it.

Apparently though, I’m not the only one staring down at a lifetime of daily Cymbalta doses. According to the Internet, (always a reliable source) there’s a possible class action lawsuit being brought against Eli Lilly.

“Studies show that between 50% and 78% of Cymbalta users experience antidepressant withdrawal symptoms after discontinuing the drug. Yet the drug label misleadingly states that Cymbalta withdrawal symptoms occur in only 1% to 2% of cases,” claims attorney Steven D. Gacovino."
https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories ... t-cymbalta

Or if the two drugs are overlapping:
https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/c ... e-3558314/

or maybe it's just the Trintellix...

"Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself." https://www.drugs.com/trintellix.html
Thanks for the advice. My wife and I just talked about this stuff. She has calmed down and is stilling calmly with the dog. She has plans to see friends tomorrow so I am not worried for the next day. I think the Cymbalta helped with her pain and now that it is gone she has really bad neck, arm, back, and hip pain. The doctor's solution to this is to double her Lyrica. Not so thrilled with this idea.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote: You bother to follow the link provided? It’s right there at the top, one of the columns for all countries, America included: 530 million Americans tested.
There's only 330 million of us.

But that means you’re prepared to see, absent any policy of vaccination, three times the number of American dead (630,000) so far?
Deaths will continue to be a trickle. Almost everyone the virus could kill have either been vaxxed or have died. The Delta is a doddle.

That last bit seems somewhat overly optimistic.
What makes it overly optimistic?

And your own calculations are based on a substantial percentage of the population being vaccinated which, if you had had your way, probably would not have been the case.
I think everyone fat, diabetic, or over age 65 should get vaccinated. If I'd been in charge, at the outset we would've quarantined and protected the truly vulnerable while letting everyone else go about their lives. And we would've reached herd immunity last Summer.

But I can’t help but get the impression – which you’re not doing much to dispel – that you’re fellow-travelers with far too many of those on the right, in particular, for whom “skepticism of the press and of academic experts has been a paramount fetish”
I tend to be skeptical of people who repeatedly lie to me.

Somewhat surprising in a way as I seem to recollect that you were one of those most vocal and largely justified in, I will somewhat belatedly more or less concede, your criticisms of Trump prior to the 2016 election.
Trump was, is, and shall always be a piece of human trash. He was grossly incompetent as POTUS. But I liked much of his admin's policy. And I love how he gives the lefties apoplexy.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
But that means you’re prepared to see, absent any policy of vaccination, three times the number of American dead (630,000) so far?
Deaths will continue to be a trickle. Almost everyone the virus could kill have either been vaxxed or have died. The Delta is a doddle.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
I left that one out there ... didn't want to bogart the MP references.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Well, do you?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

My sister tried to vaccine shame me tonight. She’s had her shots and she couldn’t be more out there if she had found veganism.

She played the absolute risk card. I batted it aside with my ‘necessarily deployed reserve parachute’ joker of a story. Which allowed the conversation to slide into awkward, but blessed, silence.

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

This is what Matt and Dog sound like:

ThreeFlangedJavis

zou3gou3 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:29 am
I give up, where are Matt and Dog telling people not to get vaccinated or wear masks? Or is there some sort of implication that not believing inconsistent bullshit from people with political and personal agendas who won't tolerate discussion are proscribing actions? I thought their whole complaint was that people are not being allowed to decide for themselves.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: ↑
For a guy supposedly not in the anti-vax camp, you sure do look to be peddling many of their "talking points".

Anti-vaxx TP are vaccines: cause autism, rearrange your DNA, poison you with mercury and other 'toxins', insert Bill Gates' microchip, etc.

I'm anti- forcing people who don't need it to get an experimental treatment that poses far greater risk of side effects than the virus, under the guise of the need to reach already-reached herd immunity.

Blasphemy!

Blasphemer!

John D

Post by John D »

zou3gou3 wrote: This is what Matt and Dog sound like:
Who the fuck are you zou3gou3? Are you a pyt lurker? Why would you come out of your cave to say something so stupid? What have you been doing since 2012? 23 posts over a decade. Suck my ass-hole. If you are going to post make it interesting or useful or something.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: 23 posts over a decade.
I read 'em all. Good stuff.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I give up, where are Matt and Dog telling people not to get vaccinated or wear masks?
Excellent point.

But even-if I were 'telling people' that-- It would just be literally 'telling people' that.

Not 'telling people' as a euphemism for using govt power to shove people to do as I please.

Or is there some sort of implication that not believing inconsistent bullshit from people with political and personal agendas who won't tolerate discussion are proscribing actions? I thought their whole complaint was that people are not being allowed to decide for themselves.

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

[quote="Matt Cavanaugh" post_id=504173 time= user_id=708
[/quote]

What side effects? Very rare cases of treatable myocarditis maybe, far less than the risk of death. As for herd immunity, if that has been reached, why are people still getting infected?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Remember the German nudist and the wild boar? Maybe that's what drew in Rod Stewart: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nake ... -b3sqh5ftb
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 10.19.40 AM.jpg
(516.66 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

And in a triumph for common sense: Covid did leak from Wuhan lab, say Republicans who want to subpoena British virus hunter (it's an archive as it is a paywalled article).

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

Service Dog quoted Clay Travis, who seems to be a typical American RW nutjob, as saying masks don't work, but the talking head said that cloth masks don't work, but N95 do. When I go shopping, those are the masks I wear, as does everyone else (those or surgical masks).
No mask, no shopping, and if you don't like it, tough shit.

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote:
John D wrote: 23 posts over a decade.
I read 'em all. Good stuff.
Ich bin ein Berliner.

Conversation with French and German coworkers:

French - Did you hear of the person who named their child "child"?

Me - Yeah.... people can name their kids anything they want. Is it true that in France and Germany you have to pick your child's name of a government approved list?

German - yes. You can request a different name if you want and the government can approve it.

Me - Yeah. In America we have this thing called liberty. We have the freedom to name our kids whatever we want.

German - This is not freedom. How does having a name list restricting freedom. It is protecting kids from getting stupid names.

Me - For the most part, Americans allow people to raise their kids as they see fit. It's called liberty.

French - That's not liberty. Restricting names doesn't impact anyone's liberty.

Me - okaaaaaaay.......

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote: Me - Yeah. In America we have this thing called liberty. We have the freedom to name our kids whatever we want.
Not just the kids...

https://www.dw.com/en/father-who-named- ... a-38792953

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The casting of Gawain not workin' for me.
Scandal - Hank Azaria is not English!

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

zou3gou3 wrote: Service Dog quoted Clay Travis, who seems to be a typical American RW nutjob, as saying masks don't work, but the talking head said that cloth masks don't work, but N95 do. When I go shopping, those are the masks I wear, as does everyone else (those or surgical masks).
No mask, no shopping, and if you don't like it, tough shit.
Clay Travis said "the masks people are wearing don't work"

zou3gou3 responded by saying "everyone" wears N95 masks... but doesn't get to the end of the sentence without admitting ineffective surgical masks are common).

https://64.media.tumblr.com/65aba4074da ... o1_500.gif

Clay Travis offered-- as evidence-- a Biden covid advisor saying that N95 respirators work, not surgical masks, cloth masks, homemade masks.

zou3gou3 replied with an ad hominem against the messenger Clay Travis, not the expert source Travis was quoting.

But this tweet didn't even originate with "typical American RW nutjob" Clay Travis. Travis was retweeting this account:

So go-ahead and tell us the source is a "typical Jew" now, Herr zou3gou3.

:o

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

Bollocks. Travis wrote that masks are "cosmetic theater", twisting the man's words, whereas he was for N95s.
As for your piss-poor attempt at anti-semitic humour: fuck off.

John D

Post by John D »

In German Prisoner-of-War camps, escapes were a a major problem.

The officers would try to break the prisoners’ spirits by making them do mindless things. In particular, they would make the prisoners stand in a line and all move their heads like a clock back and forth and say, ‘tick tock tick tock.’

Some prisoners, unable to escape or otherwise change their situation, chose a very subtle rebellion. They would do the head motions, but instead of ‘tick tock tick tock’, they would wait until the guards were further down the line and switch to ‘tick tick tick.’

None of the guards noticed this was going on for many months, until finally, a young lieutenant was caught ticking by a senior SS Captain walking behind the line.

The captain stopped the exercise, walked over, face-to-face with the young man, and "A rebel. Vell, don’t vorry, ve have vays of making you tock.’

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

Matt Cavenaugh:
Covid poses no threat to healthy young people. Letting young people acquire natural immunity would result in ZERO deaths (assuming those with comorbitities got vaccinated).

ThreeFlangedJavis

I like this RW nutjob.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

zou3gou3 wrote: Bollocks. Travis wrote that masks are "cosmetic theater", twisting the man's words, whereas he was for N95s.
Travis never denied that N95s work. You must have no idea how rare N95s are in the US. A few days ago-- I found an old dirty one in the bottom of my toolkit-- and realized I hadn't seen one worn on the street-- in a full year.

We do have KN95 masks imported from China here, but that safety standard is not recognized by US safety officials-- due to quality control flaws. Much like the Wuhan Lab.
As for your piss-poor attempt at anti-semitic humour: fuck off.
No no no... don't fool yourself... you're not a hero... saving the jews from the big bad American internet-nazi.

You're the German with Jewish blood on your hands, snarling & goose-stepping... until I pointed-out you were barking at a jew.

So you tried to call me the anti-semite.

That's what really happened.

____

Don't go away tho. I'd rather talk to you-- than those who won't even defend their position. Weak as it may be.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: Ich bin ein Berliner.
I told the story before-- and I'm sure I'll tell it again, too. About working with artists from Berlin-- who complained about everything. They were complaining about the typical shitty American food-- at JFK airport. I asked whether the Germans complained that much-- when JFK's airlift dropped food on Berlin.

I bungled the history-- but they didn't notice/ or didn't correct me. JFK's airlift is the one that brought Barak Obama Sr. to the US.
https://www.jfklibrary.org/learn/about- ... nt-airlift

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

zou3gou3 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:29 am
Feigl-Dingl is a Soros plant and a charlatan. He's also a nutritionist, not an epidemiologist. Oh and he and his Kraut wife moved their kids to Austria so they could attend school in person. This, after Feigl-Dingl advocated for school closures in the US.

https://dossier.substack.com/p/the-impe ... feigl-ding

He's also a reminder that, even though the median IQ of asians is really high, there's a left tail to their bell curve, too.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

zou3gou3 wrote: Matt Cavenaugh:
Covid poses no threat to healthy young people. Letting young people acquire natural immunity would result in ZERO deaths (assuming those with comorbitities got vaccinated).
cf. https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-covid- ... 1626706868

ZERO deaths among healthy children.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

zou3gou3 wrote: When I go shopping, those are the masks I wear, as does everyone else (those or surgical masks).

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

Dog seems to have severe cognitive problems or — more likely — is just trolling, so I'll ignore him.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

MarcusAu wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The casting of Gawain not workin' for me.
Scandal - Hank Azaria is not English!
To be Frank, neither was Gawain.

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote:
John D wrote: Ich bin ein Berliner.
I told the story before-- and I'm sure I'll tell it again, too. About working with artists from Berlin-- who complained about everything. They were complaining about the typical shitty American food-- at JFK airport. I asked whether the Germans complained that much-- when JFK's airlift dropped food on Berlin.

I bungled the history-- but they didn't notice/ or didn't correct me. JFK's airlift is the one that brought Barak Obama Sr. to the US.
https://www.jfklibrary.org/learn/about- ... nt-airlift
I have been to Berlin four times. I love it. Most times I just walk around the city for a day and live off of donner-kebobs. My German exchange student lives there so I visit when I can.

I went to the Berlin airlift memorial. It is a cool statue with the typical German starkness and great proportions... but, the site it totally neglected. My exchange student "daughter" doesn't give two shits about the history of Berlin.... the airlift... the wall... etc. I think modern Germans have given up on even thinking about history. Their history is so dark that they don't embrace the texture and complexity. I think they are taught that history is over. There is no such thing as history.

My exchange student's father on the other hand. He and I walked around the old airport where the airlift happened. It touched him. We talked about the bravery of the US pilots and the fight that was in the West Berliners. I am afraid this feeling is just disappearing in the younger Germans. They are taught that history has ended. There is no such thing as history.

I also get the feeling that they don't have any connection to liberty. I think this is common in Europe. America has a few pockets of people that still believe that liberty is a sacred value. Most everyone else has given it up for comfort. As long as people are comfortable they will give up their rights.

My exchange student did learn a lot about America when she was here 10 years ago. It was fun having her. Her first big complaint was that we didn't have a front license plate in the State of Michigan. Haha. I explained that no one ever reads the front plate so why spend money on it. NO... haha... in her mind it was just not right. Another thing she hated was Christmas lights. She told me that it was terribly wasteful. I explained that it was up to an individual what they can waste their money on. She wasted her money on expensive sushi. Other people wasted their money on lights. But... lights are bad for the environment (but somehow sushi is good for the environment? haha). Anyway. Now, when she comes back to visits she tells us that she misses the Christmas lights. She has come to like them.... and we drive around looking at them when she is here. Funny how people change.

I enjoy German directness and have worked with Germans for decades in business (starting in 1983). My wife used to drop off our exchange student to school every day. This would save our student a hour worth of bus riding. My wife didn't work so it was not a big issue. But... our student would never thank her for the ride. She would barely even say good morning and see you later. Haha. This frosted my wife's ass. My wife came to me and told me I had to talk to our student and ask her to me more appreciative. I refused. I told my wife that this was between the two of them. If my wife told our student what to do she would do it. They had a big talk... and... sure enough.. afterward our student said good morning and thanked my wife for the ride. German's usually do what is required of them... haha.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

zou3gou3 wrote: Dog seems to have severe cognitive problems or — more likely — is just trolling, so I'll ignore him.
Why not both?

John D

Post by John D »

When you defer decision making to one type of expert... well... things go off the rails.

The world has now deferred to virologists. There is a virus... and... well... let's just listen to them right now.

This is a bad idea, but people are pretty stupid (zou3gou3) and they have trouble processing complex interactions. Most people just want to listen to one idea and then they can sleep well at night.

The trouble is that there are very large side affects to our Covid response. We are starting to do more harm than good.

Statistic.... more people are dying from car crashes in the US than from Covid. What does this mean? Do we put in draconian speed limit laws? Do we restrict driving to day time only? Do we increase driver testing to check for skill levels? We really need to get traffic deaths down below Covid death levels.

I hope you see my point.

People are stressed and depressed. Overdoses are up. Depression in children is up. I just think that at this point the cure is worse than the disease. I could be wrong, but this is not a foolish thing to consider.

I am vaccinated. I am 59 years old and I figure I am better off taking a chance if there is a side affect. My wife has tons of health issues so it was easy for us to make the decision to vaccinate. But... this decision is no so easy for others. The push to vaccinate children is not so obvious. So few children get sick from Coco that the vaccine may cause more problems than the cure. No good studies exist for child vaccination, but it is clear that kids are pretty resistant.

I drive my car. I know I might get in a collision and die, I know that my neighbor might kill me in a crash.... but.... I don't put in draconian traffic restrictions. I take my chances with some risk... just like everyone else.

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

Matt believes Murdoch's WSJ rather than the doctors in the ICUs. OK. I'm out.

John D

Post by John D »

zou3gou3 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:23 am
Door.... meet ass.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Ghetto-ized by the Mean Girls. :cry:

Will you be nice to me, if I submit to the government injection experiment?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

zou3gou3 wrote: Matt believes Murdoch's WSJ rather than the doctors in the ICUs. OK. I'm out.
I was unaware the Murdoch family had acquired Johns Hopkins University.

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

Opinion written by Marty Makary, a barber surgeon. A Fox News contributor who predicted "We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April".

John D

Post by John D »

zou3gou3 wrote: Opinion written by Marty Makary, a barber surgeon. A Fox News contributor who predicted "We’ll Have Herd Immunity by April".
Fuck.... I thought you were leaving.

John D

Post by John D »

John D wrote:
zou3gou3 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:23 am
Door.... meet ass.
flounce within 15 minutes.

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

I did and will. Couldn't resist pointing out the quality of the sources that Matt trusts.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

zou3gou3 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 am
Dog seems to have severe cognitive problems or — more likely — is just trolling, so I'll ignore him.

Isn't there some room in the middle-- between Service Dog Is Wrong About Covid Policy/ and Service Dog Is A Mentally Deficient Un-Person ?

Never Forget what Germans do to humans they label as mental defectives.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Buried on Page 508 of the 2,702 page Infrastructure Bill... Fifty. Million. Dollars. will be spent to...

Make Your Car Pay Reparations. :auto-car: :romance-interracial: :banana-dreads:
The objectives of the pilot program are—

(A) to test the design, acceptance, implementation, and financial sustainability of a national motor vehicle per-mile user fee;

(B) to address the need for additional revenue for surface transportation infrastructure and a national motor vehicle per-mile user fee; and

(C) to provide recommendations relating to the adoption and implementation of a national motor vehicle per-mile user fee.
Tracking methods:
(A) Third-party on-board diagnostic (OBD-II) devices.

(B) Smart phone applications.

(C) Telemetric data collected by automakers.

(D) Motor vehicle data obtained by car insurance companies.

(E) Data from the States that received a grant under section 6020 of the FAST Act (23 U.S.C. 503 note; Public Law 114–94) (as in effect on the day before the date of enactment of this Act).

(F) Motor vehicle data obtained from fueling stations.

(G) Any other method that the Secretary considers appropriate.

Each volunteer will be allowed to select the tool used to collect the data, according to the bill.
For the purposes of the pilot program, the Secretary of the Treasury shall establish, on an annual basis, per-mile user fees for passenger motor vehicles, light trucks, and medium- and heavy-duty trucks, which amount may vary between vehicle types and weight classes to reflect estimated impacts on infrastructure, safety, congestion, the environment, or other related social impacts.
https://lidblog.com/mbuf/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

zou3gou3 wrote: I did and will. Couldn't resist pointing out the quality of the sources that Matt trusts.
Du kannst mich mal ....