Steerzing in a New Direction...

Old subthreads
John D

Re: Steerzing in a New Direction...

Post by John D »

I hope the new hit by Adele will start a movement away from auto-tuning vocals. I have listened to this song four times and still cry every time. But... maybe that's just me. My wife never understands what makes me cry....and neither do I.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: I hope the new hit by Adele will start a movement away from auto-tuning vocals. I have listened to this song four times and still cry every time. But... maybe that's just me. My wife never understands what makes me cry....and neither do I.
I adore Adele, and her melodies are haunting. But Christ, she's definitely Borderline. In River Lea she just about says so. And now that she's dropped a ton of weight, she is no longer suited to star in my remake of Avanti!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I always though that Cheeseburger was prescient...or maybe it was just SuperJail...

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: You should counter by demanding use of their company gym.
I like this approach. Howabout asking for paternity leave for the middle day-- because my emotional support animal is due to give birth.

Or-- to comply with their non-compete clause-- I'll need them to write a letter to BLM-- asking permission to hire me instead of a black person.

And... since they're such sticklers for complying with New York Law... Gotta verify everyone coming to the tv show premiere from California... Quarantined for 14 days...per Governor Cuomo's April 1 decree...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: You should counter by demanding use of their company gym.
I like this approach. Howabout asking for paternity leave for the middle day-- because my emotional support animal is due to give birth.
Joking aside, you could send a legalish letter: this is to confirm that Company is hiring me as an independent contractor, for a set fee of ___ for the work described, and that putting me to work on start date will indicate acceptance of these terms. Sent at the last minute. Since their backup seems to be your GF, they might have no choice.

Or, depending on how bad you need the cash, submit.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

An interview with a vaccine victim. Serious side-effects would seem to be rare, but what is concerning is medical ignorance of the possibility and of the warning signs and the stigmatising of victims. As Dr Campbell says it is disturbing that a doctor would not realise that a metallic taste in the mouth immediately post vaccination indicates vaccine in the bloodstream. I would guess that myocarditis is as possible with the nth booster shot as with the first shot so best practice needs to be established soon if they're going to enforce regular stabbings.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Or, depending on how bad you need the cash, submit.
I sent a reply. I might regret it-- don't know yet. It's wordy & complex-- usually, I deliberate in private, then just say yes or no. But this time I thought 'fuck it', willing to burn the bridge.
► Show Spoiler

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Doesn’t look like much on a map to scale.

But add in a baby, a dog and 42 degrees Celsius heat plus the implications of those switch backs …

John D

Post by John D »

Just a reminder… happy International Pronoun Day!

ThreeFlangedJavis

I'd appreciate a bit of clarity here if anyone has the knowledge and patience. Is a protocol binding in these hearings? Does Nadler need to rule on a protocol objection in order for it to be acted on? If not then it would appear that a protocol is more binding than a rule! Nadler gives me the creeps. He is like something out of South Park with his frenzied gavel banging and Cartman voice whenever confronted with something that threatens to derail the central narrative of the theatre. You almost expect him to put his hands over his ears and shout "I can't hear you". His impeachment double-act with Schiff was sickeningly cynical, controlling media access to information while leaking whenever it suited.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Alex Berenson-- former NYTimes medical reporter, now well-outside the NPC narrative:
Don’t take it from me, I don’t even get to tweet anymore.

Take it from a little place I call the British government. Which admitted today, in its newest vaccine surveillance report, that:

“N antibody levels appear to be lower in people who acquire infection following two doses of vaccination.” (Page 23)

What the British are saying is they are now finding the vaccine interferes with your body’s innate ability after infection to produce antibodies against not just the spike protein but other pieces of the virus. Specifically, vaccinated people don’t seem to be producing antibodies to the nucleocapsid protein, the shell of the virus, which are a crucial part of the response in unvaccinated people.

This means vaccinated people will be far more vulnerable to mutations in the spike protein EVEN AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN INFECTED AND RECOVERED ONCE (or more than once, probably).

It also means the virus is likely to select for mutations that go in exactly that direction, because those will essentially give it an enormous vulnerable population to infect. And it probably is still more evidence the vaccines may interfere with the development of robust long-term immunity post-infection.
https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/urg ... -keep-you/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: Just a reminder… happy International Pronoun Day!
Happy Ruger Day!

1022.jpg
(205.05 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I'd appreciate a bit of clarity here if anyone has the knowledge and patience. Is a protocol binding in these hearings? Does Nadler need to rule on a protocol objection in order for it to be acted on? If not then it would appear that a protocol is more binding than a rule!
Each session of Congress and each committee is free to establish whatever parliamentary operating procedures they like. It seems here that Nadler asserts that a protocol of the previous committee is binding to the present committee -- the two are distinct entities, however; the latter does not automatically inherit the rules of the former. Jordan's complaint and the points of order observed that the present committee never voted on this protocol. In any case, members of Congress routinely waive objections for the sake of saving time.

It was clearly an ambush, with the woman in white objecting and Nadler dutifully playing his role in sustaining the objection. The prepared statement, describing exactly what had occurred just moments before, gave away the game.

Obviously, they were very afraid of that video, but seem to have brought on the Streisand Effect.
Nadler gives me the creeps. He is like something out of South Park with his frenzied gavel banging and Cartman voice whenever confronted with something that threatens to derail the central narrative of the theatre. You almost expect him to put his hands over his ears and shout "I can't hear you". His impeachment double-act with Schiff was sickeningly cynical, controlling media access to information while leaking whenever it suited.
Nadler is borderline mentally retarded, as evidenced by him reading verbatim from that statement. But he can be counted on to do exactly as told. Guarantee he did not come up with this trick.

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Nadler is borderline mentally retarded, as evidenced by him reading verbatim from that statement. But he can be counted on to do exactly as told. Guarantee he did not come up with this trick.
I love how his aid stands four feet from him and tells him exactly what to say...haha.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Great overview of the possible legal ramifications of Alec Baldwin killing his director of photography:

ThreeFlangedJavis

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:07 am
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I'd appreciate a bit of clarity here if anyone has the knowledge and patience. Is a protocol binding in these hearings? Does Nadler need to rule on a protocol objection in order for it to be acted on? If not then it would appear that a protocol is more binding than a rule!
Each session of Congress and each committee is free to establish whatever parliamentary operating procedures they like. It seems here that Nadler asserts that a protocol of the previous committee is binding to the present committee -- the two are distinct entities, however; the latter does not automatically inherit the rules of the former. Jordan's complaint and the points of order observed that the present committee never voted on this protocol. In any case, members of Congress routinely waive objections for the sake of saving time.

It was clearly an ambush, with the woman in white objecting and Nadler dutifully playing his role in sustaining the objection. The prepared statement, describing exactly what had occurred just moments before, gave away the game.

Obviously, they were very afraid of that video, but seem to have brought on the Streisand Effect.
Nadler gives me the creeps. He is like something out of South Park with his frenzied gavel banging and Cartman voice whenever confronted with something that threatens to derail the central narrative of the theatre. You almost expect him to put his hands over his ears and shout "I can't hear you". His impeachment double-act with Schiff was sickeningly cynical, controlling media access to information while leaking whenever it suited.
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not convinced that Nadler is any kind of dummy. Law school isn't easy. To me he looks like someone with personality issues rather than an intelligence problem. His performance at that hearing was certainly evidence of an extreme level of partisanship and obsession with keeping the Trump as villain story alive. It looks patently delusional to me but then maybe it plays well with the fans. I'm beginning to wonder if the string-pullers even care what the American voters think. It looks alarmingly as if there is just the presentation of the pretense of a functioning government and presidency while as many irreversible changes as possible are rammed through. They know that plenty of voters know it's a sham but they don't care because the pretense is just there as an excuse to act dumb.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I'm not convinced that Nadler is any kind of dummy. Law school isn't easy. To me he looks like someone with personality issues rather than an intelligence problem.
One way or another, he's a very strange little man. And by little, I refer to height and gravitas only. He follows orders, usually mechanically.

I used to socialize with a bunch of attorneys. You'd be amazed at how many of them are dumb as a box of rocks.
His performance at that hearing was certainly evidence of an extreme level of partisanship and obsession with keeping the Trump as villain story alive. It looks patently delusional to me but then maybe it plays well with the fans. I'm beginning to wonder if the string-pullers even care what the American voters think. It looks alarmingly as if there is just the presentation of the pretense of a functioning government and presidency while as many irreversible changes as possible are rammed through. They know that plenty of voters know it's a sham but they don't care because the pretense is just there as an excuse to act dumb.
Yep. All they care about is keeping their core supporters agitated.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Great overview of the possible legal ramifications of Alec Baldwin killing his director of photography:

Keating

Post by Keating »

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Penn Jillette takes a leap off the deep end:
https://www.takimag.com/article/and-a-c ... lead-them/
At least, according to this guy.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

For some reason any sympathy I might have had for Baldwin evaporated very quickly once it was reported he was "pro gun control" (whatever that means).

If so, then as far as I am concerned he should have been especially diligent.

I guess we will see what happens.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

mordacious1 wrote: Penn Jillette takes a leap off the deep end:
I gave up halfway through it. If any of what I read was true, then I judge him as being just an actor.

He failed to walk the talk.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

What kind of arsehole names his child Moxie Crimefighter? Grounds for justifiable homicide, no question or doubt at all.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

mordacious1 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:27 pm
Penn Jillette takes a leap off the deep end:
This guy being David Cole.

Who though Jewish has some surprising opinions as to the German governments treatment of certain minority groups during the 1940s.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

AndrewV69 wrote: I guess we will see what happens.
Bloody ableists.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

AndrewV69 wrote: What kind of arsehole names his child Moxie Crimefighter? Grounds for justifiable homicide, no question or doubt at all.
Right up there with Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

fafnir wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: What kind of arsehole names his child Moxie Crimefighter? Grounds for justifiable homicide, no question or doubt at all.
Years ago, my father, a many-titled psychiatrist, stumbled onto a name in the phone book - "Jobsco Pumps" (yes, seriously) - and found it so funny, it became a catchphrase in our house. We'd be sitting at dinner, quietly enjoying our meal and he'd suddenly explode into braying laughter.

My mother would roll her eyes and mutter "Jobsco Pumps" under her breath... ;)

John D

Post by John D »

Bhurzum wrote:
fafnir wrote:
Years ago, my father, a many-titled psychiatrist, stumbled onto a name in the phone book - "Jobsco Pumps" (yes, seriously) - and found it so funny, it became a catchphrase in our house. We'd be sitting at dinner, quietly enjoying our meal and he'd suddenly explode into braying laughter.

My mother would roll her eyes and mutter "Jobsco Pumps" under her breath... ;)
Names of people my wife and I actually have met:
Mike Hunt
Mike Keister
Brook Trout
Rainbow Trout
Richard Face

Two funny stories. I interviewed Mike Hunt for a job. His full name was actually Michael. When I said hello I said "I assume to answer to Michael"... and... no shit... he said "Call me Mike". Haha. I didn't hire him because he really was not a good fit.... but the whole Mike Hunt thing would have given me pause. He was going to call on customers as a Customer Quality Engineer. Man... I can just imagine if he showed up to fix a quality problem. Haha.

The other funny story is that my wife dated Mike Keister while she and I were taking a break in our relationship. Mike was actually a good guy and they might have been good together. Anyway. When I tell our kids that mom used to date Mike Keister it gets a pretty good laugh.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote:
Names of people my wife and I actually have met:
Mike Hunt
Mike Keister
Brook Trout
Rainbow Trout
Richard Face
[/quote]
Bosco Tang
Mara Gold
Nancy Quick
Tom McCann
Bob White
Penny Lane
Emily Vaglica

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: Mike was actually a good guy and they might have been good together.
Do you still have his number?

John D

Post by John D »

My Alec Baldwin prediction (I don't really know any facts)... but Baldwin has a really bad temper.

1) Alec was upset that the filming was going poorly. He was distracted and angry

2) The filming was supposed to use live rounds in the gun. They were going for an accurate look with the gun actually recoiling.

3) Alec forgot he had a live gun because of confusion over the outcome of the waning day.

4) Either as a joke or as a way of scolding his crew he turned the gun on the director and pulled the trigger.

5) Two people were shot so either the bullet passed right through victim one and hit a second person or Baldwin actually fired twice. I suspect he fired twice because the first victim was killed indicating the shot hit the abdomen. Pistols don't usually pass all the way through the abdomen. Oh... I guess he could have shot victim one in the arm and then it passed to victim two with enough energy to kill her. So... we will see.

5) This scenario means Alec committed negligent manslaughter. He was the director and knew what safe firearm use is. He will not be changed because well... he is Alec Baldwin. But... He will get his fucking ass sued to pieces. (or make a huge settlement).

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote: Mike was actually a good guy and they might have been good together.
Do you still have his number?
Haha.... one choice in solving my marriage problem I had not considered.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

AndrewV69 wrote: For some reason any sympathy I might have had for Baldwin evaporated very quickly once it was reported he was "pro gun control" (whatever that means).
If so, then as far as I am concerned he should have been especially diligent.
He's obviously was ignorant of the four rules of firearms safety*:

4rules.jpg
(133.03 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

I guess they don't care on movie sets, but if someone hands you a gun and tells you it's unloaded, you still check. They should also show you, not just tell you. Just the other night, I offered to mount a light on my GF's shotgun. She unloaded it, showed me the empty chamber, then I had another look and felt the chamber and magazine with my finger. While mounting the light then confirming it was set up right for her to use, although still unloaded, we made sure to not 'flag' anyone, not even the pets.

But it sounds like they weren't even following movie set safety protocol:
[E]ven when blank ammunition is used, the prop master “should announce in a loud voice to the cast and crew that the firearm is ‘hot’” and notify everyone present — including the sound mixer, first AD, and stage manager — “prior to any firing of blank ammunition. Unless it is authorized by the property master, a firearm should never be aimed directly at another individual. If it is necessary to do so in a sequence, the shot can be “cheated” by aiming the weapon slightly to the side of the other person.”

The bulletin also clarifies that prop and live firearms should never be stored together, and that live ammunition “shall be secured in a locked box and clearly marked in a manner to differentiate it from blank ammunition.”
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/10/alec- ... 234673619/

Deputies learned the armorer on set had laid out three prop guns on a cart outside the building. The assistant director grabbed one of the guns and brought it to Baldwin, who was inside with the cast and crew. The assistant director yelled “cold gun” and handed it to Baldwin before the actor fired the gun once, hitting Hutchins and Souza.
https://www.abqjournal.com/2439807/bald ... k89O0LXBPQ

Also,
Set member tells @HumanEvents the armorist for the Alec Baldwin movie had asked prop master to check gun for blanks by 'shaking it around and listening for a rattling sound' before handing to Baldwin. Magazine/chamber not checked

Set member tells @HumanEvents that Alec Baldwin was rehearsing a church scene with the cinematographer when he drew the gun and said something like 'is this what you want?' and then pulled the trigger. Director was standing behind her
RUST was a very low-budget production, which apparently had a prop crew of one. The prop masters union states none of their union members were hired.

If they were using live ammo in other scenes, amateur armorer got sloppy handling and stowing the props, then an impatient prick of an assistant director grabbed a loaded gun and handed it to an ignorant actor, well there ya go. As the shot penetrated through the DP's stomach to strike the director in the shoulder, it was probably ball (FMJ) ammo.

I guess we will see what happens.
Somehow, his career has survived Kim Basinger's allegations of domestic violence, him going Tourette's apeshit on his daughter over social media, and his wife Hilaria from Spain being exposed as Hillary from Wellesley, MA.

Baldwin's already framing it as a "tragic accident" and pointing fingers. But as he's also co-producer, beyond his lack of safe firearms handling, he's ultimately responsible for cutting corners and hiring the non-union crew who let a loaded gun reach his hand.

His politics alone might be enough to save him in Hollywood, but the non-union hiring will hurt. The dead woman? Meh to these people.

* Compare to Keanu Reeves, who took a hundred hours of intense training on the range to prepare for JOHN WICK.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

The story just keeps getting worse:
The prop master who handled the gun that killed the cinematographer on Alec Baldwin’s film “Rust” was “just brought in” amid a protest over conditions on the set, The Post has learned.

The unidentified employee was hired to replace someone else amid chaos on the set, according to a source involved with the movie.

... a half-dozen camera crew workers went on strike Thursday to protest their working conditions. The crew reportedly showed up as scheduled at 6:30 a.m. but began gathering up their gear and personal possessions to leave.

Another source briefed on the situation told The Post that a crew of workers had walked off the film’s set at the Bonanza Creek Ranch near Santa Fe, NM, over what they alleged were poor safety protocols...

The prop gun also misfired twice on Saturday and once during the previous week, the Los Angeles Times reported, citing a knowledgeable crew member who told the paper that “there was a serious lack of safety meetings on this set.”

An unidentified crew member told the LA Times that Hutchins had been advocating for safer working conditions for her team.
https://nypost.com/2021/10/22/replaceme ... -prop-gun/

If all this is true, forget about accidental -- Baldwin's culpability is way past negligent into reckless disregard.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Apparently the prop master wasn't even born until a few years after Brandon Lee died.
The person in charge of overseeing the gun props, known as the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, could not be reached for comment. The 24-year-old is the daughter of veteran armorer Thell Reed and had recently completed her first film as the head armorer for the movie “The Old Way,” with Clint Howard and Nicolas Cage.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... ed-off-set

ThreeFlangedJavis

John D wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 am
My Alec Baldwin prediction (I don't really know any facts)... but Baldwin has a really bad temper.

1) Alec was upset that the filming was going poorly. He was distracted and angry

2) The filming was supposed to use live rounds in the gun. They were going for an accurate look with the gun actually recoiling.

3) Alec forgot he had a live gun because of confusion over the outcome of the waning day.

4) Either as a joke or as a way of scolding his crew he turned the gun on the director and pulled the trigger.

5) Two people were shot so either the bullet passed right through victim one and hit a second person or Baldwin actually fired twice. I suspect he fired twice because the first victim was killed indicating the shot hit the abdomen. Pistols don't usually pass all the way through the abdomen. Oh... I guess he could have shot victim one in the arm and then it passed to victim two with enough energy to kill her. So... we will see.

5) This scenario means Alec committed negligent manslaughter. He was the director and knew what safe firearm use is. He will not be changed because well... he is Alec Baldwin. But... He will get his fucking ass sued to pieces. (or make a huge settlement).
Movie is set in the late 1800's so most likely a 45 revolver. Not unlikely that the bullet would go clean through the first victim. There's also a lot of talk about how badly the local crew were being treated so there is always the possibility of sabotage.

ThreeFlangedJavis

fuzzy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:09 am
Apparently the prop master wasn't even born until a few years after Brandon Lee died.
The person in charge of overseeing the gun props, known as the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, could not be reached for comment. The 24-year-old is the daughter of veteran armorer Thell Reed and had recently completed her first film as the head armorer for the movie “The Old Way,” with Clint Howard and Nicolas Cage.
Which reminds me, Biden's team have a brilliant new strategy to neutralise the Brandon chant. They set up a meeting between Biden and a disabled man. The disabled man's name is, you guessed it, Brandon. They are probably going to play this one of two ways, pretend people are praising Biden's support for the disabled or shame people for mocking a disabled guy. Yes, they probably are that dense.

ThreeFlangedJavis

fuzzy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:09 am
Which reminds me, Biden's team have a brilliant new strategy to neutralise the Brandon chant. They set up a meeting between Biden and a disabled man. The disabled man's name is, you guessed it, Brandon. They are probably going to play this one of two ways, pretend people are praising Biden's support for the disabled or shame people for mocking a disabled guy. Yes, they probably are that dense.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

A colleague was so alarmed by the prop gun misfires that he sent a text message to the unit production manager. “We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe,”

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he did so, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor.
This phrasing indicates a mechanical fault with the gun. But those are rare. It’s more likely human negligence.

It was a single-action revolver, likely, given the budget, a standard replica from Uberti, Chiappa or Rossi, rather than a dedicated ‘prop’ gun. This is supposedly what the sheriff took into evidence:
movie-set-grun-props.jpg
(294.52 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
You must cock the hammer before firing. It also has a loading port, making it laborious to check each chamber in the cylinder.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fuzzy wrote: Apparently the prop master wasn't even born until a few years after Brandon Lee died.
Was she even on the set that day?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Answer my own question:
“Gutierrez removed a shell casing from the gun after the shooting, and she turned the weapon over to police when they arrived, the court records say.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... ml?src=rss

John D

Post by John D »

So - My predictions are already wrong. Haha. But only wrong in the details. The facts seem to line up with my prediction that 1) Alec committed negligent homicide 2) He will not be charged 3) and he will be sued or at least pay a huge settlement.

The media is lining up against the armorer. Lots of stories already in the media about how she was not qualified.

Also, It does make sense that a ball nose pistol bullet could pass all the way through someone's lower abdomen and strike a second person with lower energy.

Fegg

Post by Fegg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: You must cock the hammer before firing. It also has a loading port, making it laborious to check each chamber in the cylinder.
If you want to check what it is loaded with, then the safest way is to eject the cartridges one by one and then load them one by one.
If you want to check if it is loaded with anything, the gap behind the cylinder is large enough to see if there are any rounds loaded.

John D

Post by John D »

You are worthless Alec Baldwin.

John D

Post by John D »

Alec Baldwin... do something... "Global Warming..."

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Fegg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: You must cock the hammer before firing. It also has a loading port, making it laborious to check each chamber in the cylinder.
If you want to check what it is loaded with, then the safest way is to eject the cartridges one by one and then load them one by one.
If you want to check if it is loaded with anything, the gap behind the cylinder is large enough to see if there are any rounds loaded.
If this is the case, such weapons should be banned.

I can’t believe that in these days, modern weapons (at least) couldn’t display a colour coded (by type) round count, one that’s highly visible.
Far better than semi opaque magazines.

Didn’t the Marines in Aliens 2 have something like this? Or would that take away some of the fun?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: So - My predictions are already wrong. Haha. But only wrong in the details.
Well, 'Alec Baldwin was angry on the set' is like the center square in Bingo.

The media is lining up against the armorer. Lots of stories already in the media about how she was not qualified.
Notice that? Need a scapegoat to protect their boy. Still, it sounds like the AD had at least once before declared a loaded gun 'hot'. From his CV, he's either crossed paths on the set with my sister or a certain director friend of hers. I'll have to ask her about him.

I'm finding it hard to believe the armorer is to blame here. Thell is legendary, and she would've learned proper safety while still in her diapers.

Also, It does make sense that a ball nose pistol bullet could pass all the way through someone's lower abdomen and strike a second person with lower energy.
Totally. One report says it went through her chest or shoulder while the director was crouching just behind her. Daily Mail sez it caused a 'gruesome' wound.

Bottom line: never ever point a gun directly at someone you don't want to gruesomely wound. Especially not with a gun that had been causing problems all week for one reason or another. Reckless.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

mordacious1 wrote: Penn Jillette takes a leap off the deep end:
I differ from author David Cole's thesis-- that recent Trans Dogma is a cult which Penn Jillette suddenly joined.

I think Jillette's point-of-departure was Feminism.

To Penn Jillette-- this trans stuff is just a further extension of the common-sense women-are-equal feminism he embraced, back in the 1970s.

He's just-like a supporter of Equal Rights For Blacks in the 1960's... who thinks everything-which currently-claims to be More Of The Same... is indeed The Same.

That Penn Jillette article is about an atheist libertarian (seemingly) violating his principles.

However, (I surmise) that the author is neither atheist nor libertarian. The author didn't think much-of Penn Jillette's beliefs in the first place. He's not-really disappointed by Jillette's downfall. He's delighted by it. Yet-- he reports the story well-enough.

Everyone at the 'pyt... has already seen Atheists go SJW-trans-feminist-woke. That part ain't new.

As an escape from the pro- and anti- Trump factions-- I immersed myself in Libertarian podcasts after Trump was elected.

I've seen many Libertarians do all-the-things enumerated in the article. Plenty of libertarians have amended their "I'm a libertarian" status, deciding they're something-else now. Post-libertarian. Or no-longer-aligning-myself-with-those-other-assholes-who-also-say-they're-libertarian. People who moved to New Hampshire to join the Free State Project... then moved-away. People who were actively-engaged with a movement, who decided to go be libertarian by themselves, disconnected.

But-- most of all-- the Penn Jillette story strikes me as a perfect example of a certain sort of boomer/public-figure/intellectual/'maverick'-- who turns-out to blow right-along with the winds of dreadfully-conventional wisdom.

First the rise-of-woke, then Trump & Brexit, then Covid,-- and now Unclothed Emperor Biden-- has shown us who actually *reacted* to such developments... like they're Fucking Paying Attention. And who just kept chugging-along as-if the last new thing which ever happened was... 9/11? (And, for some: Woodstock, MLK being shot, Ronald Reagan getting elected, an intro-to-feminism class circa 1988) ...spouting the same-old shit they decided-to believe a long time ago.

Also, Penn Jillette is a smarmy smartass, accustomed to being the hippest cat in the room. It's normal for a pubescent kid to experiment with being edgy-- test-driving a contrived identity, to see how-much they can fake-it-'til-they-make-it ...aiming-toward a childish notion of a kewl adult self. But Penn Jillette seems like many boomers-- who are stuck in that stage of development far-past their teenybopper years. He's adopting trans-hipster slang like a tween trying to hang with the cool kids. Or an old Peter Pan trying to stay young.

So my 1st impression-- reading the article-- was that Penn Jillette exemplified something I've been noticing... Reason Magazine's Nick Gillespie is another example-- boomer/'cool guy'/aging-hipster/post-modernist-intellectual/classic-rock-era-'rebel'/recreational-drug-enthusiast-- with a huge case of Trump Derangement Syndrome... & a see-no-evil hear-no-evil speak-no-evil attitude... when it comes to noticing & calling-out how far-off-the-rails his boomer-ideals have crashed the train.

My 2nd impression was that I didn't like David Cole's writing style. The story has plenty of sizzle if he just tells it 'straight'. But he heaped-on a bunch of gratuitous snark. Not too long ago-- I went-back & read old issues of SPY Magazine... and found they weren't nearly as clever as I thought in high school. The attitude seemed formulaic & petty. This article reads like that.

Likewise-- tangentially-related-- I've noticed in the last handful-of-days... that Fox News ran a slew of segments which were waaaaay too similar to Rachel Maddow killing-time-on-air 5 years ago... making fun of Trump's hair & orange skin, when she had no real incriminating-shit to report.

Yes, Kamala & Biden both acted like malfunctioning robots in public appearances last week. But it's facile... and therefore dangerous: one can slip into the unfunny amirite? applause-not-laughs of SNL or Stephen Colbert.

John D

Post by John D »

You have to assess an individual and consider what they are using to fill their 'god shaped hole". There will be something in there. I have a pile of old Western classical morals like protection of home and hearth, honesty, hard work. I feel like I should be Odysseus. well... not that heroic... but you know what I mean.

Most atheists go for the Marxism shit. They don't like classic western virtues. Even the Libertarian party is going Marxist along with Gillespie, Teller etc.

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Nurses .... should shut the fuck up and get back to doing their job.
This post officially makes you a cunt. Cunt.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:
Fegg wrote: If you want to check what it is loaded with, then the safest way is to eject the cartridges one by one and then load them one by one.
Single-action revolvers are safe in a lot of ways, and are a common choice for teaching novices.

I can’t believe that in these days, modern weapons (at least) couldn’t display a colour coded (by type) round count, one that’s highly visible.
The gun in question, of course, was a 140 year-old design. Most new semis have a loaded chamber indicator. I almost never look at mine, and don't trust it when I do.

Massad Ayoob, who all the experts turn to for expert advice, tells about his negligent discharge with a twice-checked DA revolver:
https://safetysolutionsacademy.com/less ... at-mag-40/

Bottom line, Baldwin took three separate actions he should've known -- or, rather, had an obligation to have learned -- not to do. He:
1. pointed the gun at that woman;
2. cocked the hammer;
3. pulled the trigger.

Omit any one of that sequence, and she doesn't die.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Omit any one of that sequence, and she doesn't die.
Well, she does. Most likely not on the set of "Rust", though.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I am starting to get the impression that Baldwin is an irresponsible jackass.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Fegg wrote: If you want to check what it is loaded with, then the safest way is to eject the cartridges one by one and then load them one by one.
Single-action revolvers are safe in a lot of ways, and are a common choice for teaching novices.

The gun in question, of course, was a 140 year-old design. Most new semis have a loaded chamber indicator. I almost never look at mine, and don't trust it when I do.

Massad Ayoob, who all the experts turn to for expert advice, tells about his negligent discharge with a twice-checked DA revolver:
https://safetysolutionsacademy.com/less ... at-mag-40/

Bottom line, Baldwin took three separate actions he should've known -- or, rather, had an obligation to have learned -- not to do. He:
1. pointed the gun at that woman;
2. cocked the hammer;
3. pulled the trigger.

Omit any one of that sequence, and she doesn't die.
If guns can’t be rendered relatively safe by design then two salient facts remain.

1. They are innately dangerous, far more so than (say) a chainsaw, and easy access to such buggerising implements should logically be on a demonstrated ‘need to have’ or controlled ‘safe to have’ basis.

2. Short of built-in idiot-proofing, only a paranoid and ingrained safety culture offsets the inherent risk. This culture is not invented out of thin air. Easy, unearned access to weapons is stupid. But remind me, what are the technical pre-reqs for getting your hands on a weapon? Clearly there was zero safety culture on that set. But I hardly think this is some sort of bizarre exception to the rule.

Again I can only draw on my experience in the Reserves. We didn’t get near to firing our weapon until we had been taught and then passed practical tests. On-going good practice was instilled at the end of a boot. Any breach would bring down unfathomable wrath by enraged WOs. Live ammunition was utterly quarantined to the range and carefully controlled. On leaving the range we were searched and had to declare a personal oath “I have no live ammunition or range produce in my possession sir!” This was taken very seriously.

Once a dickhead managed to smuggle out a couple of live rounds and stupidly showed them off in the field. His punishment descended well before his official charges. In the movies it would have been called a “code red”. Checking weapons on hand over, and situational awareness of their state (unloaded, action, instant) was second nature.

How exactly does society expect a similar wrapper of responsibility to arise when the bar to beat is err … to demonstrate you’re not already declared clinically insane and/or possess a felony? Meh. Madness.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Brive1987 wrote: Madness

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Brive1987 wrote: But remind me, what are the technical pre-reqs for getting your hands on a weapon? Clearly there was zero safety culture on that set. But I hardly think this is some sort of bizarre exception to the rule.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Lsuoma wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Omit any one of that sequence, and she doesn't die.
Well, she does. Most likely not on the set of "Rust", though.
https://media.patriots.win/post/ehTpqv5M.jpeg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:58 am
If guns can’t be rendered relatively safe by design then two salient facts remain.

1. They are innately dangerous, far more so than (say) a chainsaw,
With firearms and chainsaws, safety features can be added, but both will remain inherently dangerous.

easy access to such buggerising implements should logically be on a demonstrated ‘need to have’ or controlled ‘safe to have’ basis.
Why this for a gun, but not a chainsaw, or a horse, or an automobile, all of which are inherently dangerous and potentially fatal?

2. Short of built-in idiot-proofing, only a paranoid and ingrained safety culture offsets the inherent risk. This culture is not invented out of thin air.
The culture I interact with is fastidious about safety. That's prudent, not paranoid.

The universal denouncement of Baldwin by the gun 'community' is that he violated all four of the Four Rules of Firearms Safety. He co-wrote a script with a lot of guns in it; including the scene he was rehearsing. He therefore had a heightened duty to educate himself. Ironically, the NRA, against which Baldwin engaged in activism, offers many resources and training programs that could've helped him.

Easy, unearned access to weapons is stupid.
No right needs to be earned.

But remind me, what are the technical pre-reqs for getting your hands on a weapon?
About the same as for getting a driver's license. I'd say a 16yo novice operating a fast-moving 5000 lb projectile on the public roads poses far greater risk than an adult with a Glock in his bedroom.

Clearly there was zero safety culture on that set. But I hardly think this is some sort of bizarre exception to the rule.

Again I can only draw on my experience in the Reserves.[...]
What you describe of your basic training closely resembles the official movie industry protocol for handling firearms on sets. All film shoots are chaotic, but all the stage crew I've ever talked to were very serious about doing their job properly and safely. RUST was a extremely low-budget production which was cutting corners all across the board, and came apart at the seams with a crew mutiny hours before the incident. A psycho director or asshole lead can be toxic.

How exactly does society expect a similar wrapper of responsibility to arise when the bar to beat is err … to demonstrate you’re not already declared clinically insane and/or possess a felony? Meh. Madness.
Yet somehow, with 400 million guns in the US, and one in probably half of all homes, there are only <400 deaths per year from accidental or negligent discharges. And most of those are urban teens goofing with unlawfully-possessed guns. Only about two dozen are the stereotypical 'hunting accidents.'

Ordinary folks aren't all irresponsible cretins who need the constant supervision of smarter and wiser Overlords.