Dyatlov Pass ad nauseam

Double wank and shit chips
Matt Cavanaugh

Dyatlov Pass ad nauseam

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

They were amateurs who put themselves in a position where their only Plan B, were a mishap to occur, was to wander around the subfreezing dark in their socks. In their prior expeditions (e.g., a luckily non-fatal snake bite) I detect a bad-decision/good-outcome false sense of competency, while on the day of their deaths, Abilene Paradox.

HelpingHand

Re: Dyatlov Pass ad nauseam

Post by HelpingHand »

Thanks for using 'Abilene Paradox'. Have experienced it too many times, but didn't know it had a name.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:04 am
They were amateurs who put themselves in a position where their only Plan B, were a mishap to occur, was to wander around the subfreezing dark in their socks. In their prior expeditions (e.g., a luckily non-fatal snake bite) I detect a bad-decision/good-outcome false sense of competency, while on the day of their deaths, Abilene Paradox.
You keep making this assertion - as if that adds weight to the ‘argument’.
I have listed many actual facts pointing to efficacy. Points you ignore or count with well poisoned counter factual.

They unaccountably fled a perfectly well managed camp without shoes or basic equipment. That deserves a better explanation than unsupported adhom.

Is this really the basis on which this sub-thread was begun?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I'm interested in discussing each element one at a time. No more data dumps.

Above, I reiterated my assessment of their physical and mental state at the time of the disaster. You don't concur, so let's move on to something else for now.

How about the decision to leave the tent?

We agree that they perceived an ongoing threat, or other compelling reason, to quickly exit the tent and head downhill. Whatever that was, they perceived it to be such an immense threat, that traipsing in subzero temps, in the dark, without adequate attire, and abandoning their only shelter, looked good in comparison.

- Do you completely dismiss the mini-avalanche hypothesis?

- What do you consider [a] more plausible phenomen[on/a}?

- Were the internal injuries sustained in the tent or later?

- Why did they need to cut their way out of the tent?

- Were they heading to the cache and got lost, or simply fleeing in any direction?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Mechanisms of slab avalanche release and impact in the Dyatlov Pass incident in 1959

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-020-00081-8