Bigfoot gals, won't you come out tonight..

Double wank and shit chips
CaptainFluffyBunny

Bigfoot gals, won't you come out tonight..

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Presenting bigfoot! AKA Sasquatch

MarcusAu

Re: Bigfoot gals, won't you come out tonight..

Post by MarcusAu »

Where?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Me. No doxxing!

CaptainFluffyBunny

mg4_27qTcd88nwtSE9_YQfA.jpg
(9.64 KiB) Downloaded 420 times

CaptainFluffyBunny

Actually, I do wonder how many people I took in and made bigfoot believers my late teens and early twenties with my pranks. It seemed funny then...no, it's still funny.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

I think Bigfoot is just a Yeti who got lost.

It seems to me proposing a single explanation for both mysteries is more parsimonious than two, therefore more likely to be correct.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I don't think either of them uses a razor - so your explanation does not hold.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Ms Caramel said-
How do you think bigfoot got it's name?

This isn't about bigfoot, it is about how some people skip to the end. Essentially, you have taken an overview that the burden of proof has not been met, and reached a conclusion. After which you make yourself impervious to anything which doesn't fit your conclusion, and you find yourself making positive claims like, "There is no evidence".
Wow, you can read minds. No, I looked at the best evidence and found it utterly lacking. I am also familiar enough with hunting, tracking and woodcraft that I find the evidence totally unconvincing.

Bigfoot believers are making a huge claim. This huge beasties leaves no solid evidence, just tracks and noise. It is not for me to disprove the claim, it is up to you and your ilk to show some believable evidence. Again, you never have explained how this critter managed to be so elusive.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Fuzzy - from the look of you - I think you are part of the cover up.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[youtube][/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny

Re: Boringfoot gals, won't you come out tonight..

I see the FT is messing with the wording again. No more bigf00t.

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice

He's in on the cover up.

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:
He's in on the cover up.
It would be lively for Me Caramel to comment on the article. It does emphatically state that professional trackers agree with our assessment of the tracks. Somehow I doubt she will.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Ms, not Me. Stupid autocorrect.

free thoughtpolice

"Ape Island" shows ekspertz searching for Sacksquatch. I couldn't watch past 10 minutes but the wilderness :lol: shots there were awfully familiar looking. The river shots were of the Puntledge river at Puntledge Park inside Courtenay city limits. The interview on the beach was taken 2 miles west of my house.
I quit watching when they started looking around Tofino. You would think Squatch would look for a hiding place that wasn't located in a National Park that is crawling with thousands of tourists and booked solid during season. There are Indian villages in this area with busy floatplane and water taxi service not to mention throngs of boaters and hikers.
[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Not trying to shitpost, but...
[youtube][/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:"Ape Island" shows ekspertz searching for Sacksquatch. I couldn't watch past 10 minutes but the wilderness :lol: shots there were awfully familiar looking. The river shots were of the Puntledge river at Puntledge Park inside Courtenay city limits. The interview on the beach was taken 2 miles west of my house.
I quit watching when they started looking around Tofino. You would think Squatch would look for a hiding place that wasn't located in a National Park that is crawling with thousands of tourists and booked solid during season. There are Indian villages in this area with busy floatplane and water taxi service not to mention throngs of boaters and hikers.
[youtube][/youtube]
Well, the large-footed critter still eludes them all. Goddamn lucky if you ask me. I wonder if the fur would be good for flies? I had a couple of polar bear fur that were next to magic. UV or something.

free thoughtpolice

This dude has captured a squatch. I think we should chime in on the comment section and see if he will name her Vicky in honor of the pit's Ms. Caramel:
[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Moar evidence:
[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Nazi involvement? Maybe Vicky has insider knowledge?
[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Just had to add this one. Toba Inlet is still remote, although not too far from chez FTP.
[youtube][/youtube]

CaptainFluffyBunny

Here I expect to see all the scientists that are taking Bigf**t research seriously. Vicky has declared!

free thoughtpolice

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Here I expect to see all the scientists that are taking Bigf**t research seriously. Vicky has declared!
I'm guessing she's lost interest due to a flare up of Zionist aggression the last few hours.
:rimshot:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Apparently you can now declare any ol' crypto-critter exists and it up to real skeptics to present evidence it doesn't exist. I had no idea. Now I'm reduced to a bumper-sticker. How sad.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Wait, does Bigf**t and benevolent Hamas exist on the same plane of existence? That explains so much.

CaptainFluffyBunny

CaptainFluffyBunny

CaptainFluffyBunny

From the site of many lies, Wikipedia-
Scientific view

The evidence that does exist supporting the survival of such a large, prehistoric ape-like creature has been attributed to hoaxes or delusion rather than to sightings of a genuine creature.[7] In a 1996 USA Today article, Washington State zoologist John Crane said, "There is no such thing as Bigfoot. No data other than material that's clearly been fabricated has ever been presented."[17] In addition, scientists cite the fact that Bigfoot is alleged to live in regions unusual for a large, nonhuman primate, i.e., temperate latitudes in the northern hemisphere; all recognized apes are found in the tropics of Africa and Asia.

Mainstream scientists do not consider the subject of Bigfoot an area of credible science[66] and there have been a limited number of formal scientific studies of Bigfoot.

Evidence such as the 1967 Patterson–Gimlin film has provided "no supportive data of any scientific value".[67]

As with other similar beings, climate and food supply issues would make such a creature's survival in reported habitats unlikely.[68] Great apes have not been found in the fossil record in the Americas, and no Bigfoot remains are known to have been found. The breeding population of such an animal would be so large that it would account for many more purported sightings than currently occur, making the existence of such an animal an almost certain impossibility.[8] In the 1970s, when Bigfoot experts were frequently given high-profile media coverage, Mcleod writes that the scientific community generally avoided lending credence to the theories by debating them.[32]

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Didn't Roger Patterson recount on his deathbed that his video was faked? Or am I having a Mandela Effect moment?

I ask because I still to this day see Sass Quatch advocates citing it as 'evidence'.

CaptainFluffyBunny

SkepticalCat wrote:Didn't Roger Patterson recount on his deathbed that his video was faked? Or am I having a Mandela Effect moment?

I ask because I still to this day see Sass Quatch advocates citing it as 'evidence'.
I don't think he did. His partner was rather quiet about the whole thing, but now appears to be enthusiastically separating money from Bigf**t believers at conferences.

CaptainFluffyBunny

I love that Vicky is letting her freak-flag fly on the main thread. Then assumes that she is an expert and the rest of lesser creatures, never having considered the possibilities.

Warning, boring personal anecdotes ahead-

Somewhere in her small, insignificant island nation is a student film, done as a Master's project for a journalism degree by one of her countrymen, who was accompanied on this expedition by his mate and a girl I think they were both chasing. I seem to recall it was Leeds, but that may be were the other two were from. Anyway, on this film is a young, fit if not handsome CaptainFluffyBunny. They had contacted my anthropology advisor and she had recommended myself to show them around, as I had hunted the area extensively before. This would be in 1985.

Anyway I drove them up into the woods in an old jeep, them complaining all the while and the girl morbidly fascinated with my rifles. The film dude was very intense, and we had to stop and let him out so I could back up and he could film the jeep going down the trail. It was goddamn aggravating.

We got to the end of where the jeep could go and hiked in a couple if miles to a creek that fed the North Umpqua river. None of them could shut up for a second. It was like taking toddlers into the deep woods. None of them had any camping equipment to speak of, so of course I ended up out of the tent. Just as well from the noises inside.

I showed them tracks, no Bigf**t tracks, but bear and blacktail and elk. Showed them how tracks distort and why I thought the whole thing was a joke, seeing as some 200 years of contact had yet to yield a single skeleton, pelt or anything other than brief encounters and tracks.

Film guy was sure I was hiding something. His mate wanted to fire my rifle to impress the girl. I let him. It was a 45/70 lever-action. He fired it and promptly dropped it, screaming that it broke his shoulder. Unfortunately not. She screamed a lot. Centipedes freaked her out.

A night of these ninnies moaning and complaining. We were supposed to spend a couple of days up there, but they were not cut out for camping outside of a KOA or the like. All the way back film guy was pressing me for the "real" information, I could trust him with it. He just wanted to see it for himself, wasn't going to film it or reveal it to anybody. Nothing I said would convince him that I wasn't covering up something.

I got them back alive, the film guy wrote me from England thanking me for the experience. I wrote it off as a bad time and a lesson learned.

Since then I've talked to many Bigf**t hunters and yes, considered the evidence. The myth had it's origin here in the Pacific NW, and I am pretty familiar with the woods, rivers and all associated creatures that inhabit them. Indeed, I've eaten my share of them.

I can fake most anything that has been presented as evidence, Sierra sounds and samurai chatter included.

There is a reason that scientists and most hunters don't take this seriously. It's not a serious claim. That it's spreading to Europe doesn't speak well for mankind.

Vicky, it ain't up to people to disprove any wild claim or "evidence" associated with Bigf**t psychology. It's up to you folk to bring back a specimen. Surely if they've spread to Europe, one should pop up soon, yes?

free thoughtpolice

SkepticalCat wrote:Didn't Roger Patterson recount on his deathbed that his video was faked? Or am I having a Mandela Effect moment?

You might be thinking of the guy who claimed to be the guy in the suit:
Bob Heironimus[edit]
Bob Heironimus claims to have been the figure depicted in the Patterson film.[285] Heironimus says he had not previously publicly discussed his role in the hoax because he hoped to be paid eventually and was afraid of being convicted of fraud had he confessed. After speaking with his lawyer he was told that since he had not been paid for his involvement in the hoax, he could not be held accountable.

A month after watching the December 28, 1998, Fox-television special World's Greatest Hoaxes: Secrets Finally Revealed?, he went public, via a January 30 press release by his lawyer, Barry Woodard, in a Yakima newspaper story.[286] He stated, "I'm telling the truth. I'm tired after thirty-seven years."[281] Five days later, a second newspaper story reported that his "lawyer's office has been inundated with calls from media outlets . . . . 'We're just sort of waiting for the dust to settle,' he said, explaining he and his client are evaluating offers." He also said, "We anticipate that we will be telling the full story to somebody rather quickly."[287]

Heironimus's name was first publicly revealed, and his allegations first publicly detailed, five years later, in Greg Long's book, The Making of Bigfoot, which includes testimony that corroborates Heironimus' claims:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Forgot to mention, the student film was a "searching for bigfoot" thing.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Hiya, Vicky.

CaptainFluffyBunny

And leaves without a word. I bare my soul, bake crumpets and everything, but no...

I blame FtP for calling her an office jockey and hurting her feelings. She was trained by a Selous Scout. From Africa. Notorious home of all North American creatures, especially Bigf**t.

free thoughtpolice

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:And leaves without a word. I bare my soul, bake crumpets and everything, but no...

I blame FtP for calling her an office jockey and hurting her feelings. She was trained by a Selous Scout. From Africa. Notorious home of all North American creatures, especially Bigf**t.
I should apologize to Vicky.
I'm sorry, just because you are an office jockey from London does not mean you are not a skilled cryptid hunter. By the way, seen any of these around lately?
[youtube][/youtube]

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

[quote="CaptainFluffyBunny"
Vicky, it ain't up to people to disprove any wild claim or "evidence" associated with Bigf**t psychology. It's up to you folk to bring back a specimen. Surely if they've spread to Europe, one should pop up soon, yes?[/quote]

Firstly, I was a skeptic before there was such a thing as the internet. Back in the old days we used to go look at the evidence and find alternative explanations, not just "maybe this happened" or "maybe that is possible" but actually go and try and figure this stuff out rather than sit on our arses speculating. Without messageboards to spend hours shitposing on, doing skepticism meant actually doing something. It isn't enough to give your personal anecdotes, that makes you just as bad as any conspiracy theorists. And you can't just sit in your comfy chair boasting you can fake anything, that is meaningless unless you can prove it. Until then you are just another obnoxious blowhard who adds nothing to the conversation.

Secondly, if Bigfoot is a myth, and the myth is spreading to Europe, that would suggest a total failure of the skeptic community. Maybe they are not impressed by people saying, "Yeah, probably just a bear". Skeptics have very little credibility with good reason, most have zero ability to ever admit they don't know, zero interest in ever attempting to investigate or explain, very little interest to engage with the subject beyond trolling. To somebody coming to the subject fresh, there is a choice between people who sincerely believe they have seen something and are trying to investigate it, and a bunch of keyboard-warriors making snide remarks and getting their facts wrong half the time, while boasting they are expert woodsmen.

free thoughtpolice

I checked out bigfoot on snopes and who shows up on the picture but John Bintnagel, acclaime bigfoot expert that lives a few miles away from me. I see his name in the phone book, almost tempted to give him a call sometime.
http://www.snopes.com/bigfoot-captured-history-channel/

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

VickyCaramel wrote:Well thats a shame, the Boringfoot community is short of people who know their way around the woods. I am sure one they hear that you have been in the wilderness and never seen one, the whole myth will be totally busted. I guarantee they will be just as impressed as I am.

I am so glad you are here to show us how to be skeptics.
So Vicky,
Do you actually expect to "bust" the bigfoot myth? I don't think it is possible to convince the hardcore nutters of anything. And the vast majority of the public doesn't really buy it, as much as they love a good yarn.

free thoughtpolice

I'm curious as to how many squatch there has to be to maintain a viable breeding population. Also in order to escape excessive inbreeding how far would they have to travel to find suitable mates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_viable_population

Unless squatch have some kind of genetic magic that other large animals don't, there has to be a certain number of them around for them to continue to exist, and therefore should not be appreciably more difficult to document their existence than sampling populations in an area that has a relatively sparse population of grizzly bears. Even non-sealouse trackers are really quite good at not only finding that evidence but also have the DNA tech to identify individuals and kin by collecting and testing scat.
If someone that had the resources were to keep biologists that have the knowhow and trained dogs to do that collection on call and to get them fairly rapidly to the site of a sighting they would very likely be able to collect real, testable evidence assuming the sighting is genuine.

CaptainFluffyBunny

VickyCaramel wrote:[quote="CaptainFluffyBunny"
Vicky, it ain't up to people to disprove any wild claim or "evidence" associated with Bigf**t psychology. It's up to you folk to bring back a specimen. Surely if they've spread to Europe, one should pop up soon, yes?
Firstly, I was a skeptic before there was such a thing as the internet. Back in the old days we used to go look at the evidence and find alternative explanations, not just "maybe this happened" or "maybe that is possible" but actually go and try and figure this stuff out rather than sit on our arses speculating. Without messageboards to spend hours shitposing on, doing skepticism meant actually doing something. It isn't enough to give your personal anecdotes, that makes you just as bad as any conspiracy theorists. And you can't just sit in your comfy chair boasting you can fake anything, that is meaningless unless you can prove it. Until then you are just another obnoxious blowhard who adds nothing to the conversation.

Secondly, if Boringfoot is a myth, and the myth is spreading to Europe, that would suggest a total failure of the skeptic community. Maybe they are not impressed by people saying, "Yeah, probably just a bear". Skeptics have very little credibility with good reason, most have zero ability to ever admit they don't know, zero interest in ever attempting to investigate or explain, very little interest to engage with the subject beyond trolling. To somebody coming to the subject fresh, there is a choice between people who sincerely believe they have seen something and are trying to investigate it, and a bunch of keyboard-warriors making snide remarks and getting their facts wrong half the time, while boasting they are expert woodsmen.[/quote]
Well, maybe your reading comprehension needs some work. I've been involved in the Bigf**t for some 30+ years. I grew up where the myth all began. You can sneer at FtP and my woods skills all you like, but that's all you got.

Now if you can't see how ridiculous it is to be a Bigf**t hunter in this day and age, let alone in the British Isles, why I don't think anything I would say will change your mind. Which is fine. Everybody needs some mystery in life, even if it is invented.

I'd be curious and even grateful if you'd give your best guess as to why there's never been a body, skeleton or pelt. The best I've heard so far is government cover-up at the behest of native Americans. Anything?

free thoughtpolice

Not Bintnagel, Bindernagel:
http://sasquatchbiologist.org/

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Now if you can't see how ridiculous it is to be a Bigf**t hunter in this day and age, let alone in the British Isles, why I don't think anything I would say will change your mind. Which is fine. Everybody needs some mystery in life, even if it is invented.

I'd be curious and even grateful if you'd give your best guess as to why there's never been a body, skeleton or pelt. The best I've heard so far is government cover-up at the behest of native Americans. Anything?
CaptainFluffyBunny - This appears to essentially be Vicky's hobby. Exploring the bigfoot myth. Testing the new proposals and debunking them. Technically Vicky is still open to the possibility of bigfoot existing (as would we all if some significant level of evidence were finally presented).

The difference is that we don't get any joy out of debunking such ridiculousness, but she does. To each their own. Everyone needs their hobby. And if this is just some excuse for her to get the fuck out of the house and enjoy nature, that is even more difficult to argue against.

Yes, Vicky has been a bit shitty towards other people here. But some people here have been shitty towards her. The dynamic kind of feeds itself.

CaptainFluffyBunny

deLurch wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Now if you can't see how ridiculous it is to be a Bigf**t hunter in this day and age, let alone in the British Isles, why I don't think anything I would say will change your mind. Which is fine. Everybody needs some mystery in life, even if it is invented.

CaptainFluffyBunny - This appears to essentially be Vicky's hobby. Exploring the Boringfoot myth. Testing the new proposals and debunking them. Technically Vicky is still open to the possibility of Boringfoot existing (as would we all if some significant level of evidence were finally presented).

The difference is that we don't get any joy out of debunking such ridiculousness, but she does. To each their own. Everyone needs their hobby. And if this is just some excuse for her to get the fuck out of the house and enjoy nature, that is even more difficult to argue against.

Yes, Vicky has been a bit shitty towards other people here. But some people here have been shitty towards her. The dynamic kind of feeds itself.
Which is fine. Also fine that I get some lulz out of it. She seems to be a bit of an angry sort, which isn't unusual amongst fringe theory types. I'm sure she'll show what evidence she has that can't be fabricated. And explain why nothing concrete, evidence-wise has ever shown up.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:Which is fine. Also fine that I get some lulz out of it. She seems to be a bit of an angry sort, which isn't unusual amongst fringe theory types. I'm sure she'll show what evidence she has that can't be fabricated. And explain why nothing concrete, evidence-wise has ever shown up.
I think the people involved in the bigdick measuring contest have been talking past each other on the word 'evidence.'

Yes, a gun at a murder scene is evidence. But it is not proof that it was Johnny who killed Bobby. It could be strong evidence combined with blood splatter, fingerprints & blast reside, or it could be a false lead. Even if the gun was not used to kill Bobby, Vicky is still calling something like that evidence.

Personally, I think Vicky is way to far into some sort of BigDick measuring contest about who is a good & true skeptic. Whereas most people here just don't see the value in wasting our time on such nutty theories.

Honestly, Vicky's stated positions are not that far off from Brian & Baxter's Paranormal investigator's stated positions. Both parties treat claims seriously. Both parties claim to walk in with a completely open and skeptical mind. But in practical application both parties continue to walk in and consistently debunk false claims about the supernatural/mythical.

Vicky just wants to tell all of you that her Skeptical BigDick is larger than yours.

free thoughtpolice

Vicky just wants to tell all of you that her Skeptical BigDick is larger than yours.
How embarrassing, I thought that was her leg that I was pulling. :oops:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

How embarrassing, I thought that was her leg that I was pulling. :oops:
Your fault for not asking about preferred pronouns first.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

That's probably what I was remembering, and approximately the right timeframe, also. Patterson died in 1972 so it definitely wasn't him that I'm remembering.

I love creepy stuff like Sass Quatch, I just wish some of it was real :)

CaptainFluffyBunny

SkepticalCat wrote:

That's probably what I was remembering, and approximately the right timeframe, also. Patterson died in 1972 so it definitely wasn't him that I'm remembering.

I love creepy stuff like Sass Quatch, I just wish some of it was real :)
I wish it was too. I love the idea of a hollow earth and megaladons cruising deep sea trenches. Dinosaurs in Africa and a marine one in Scotland. Alas.

CaptainFluffyBunny

free thoughtpolice wrote:I checked out Boringfoot on snopes and who shows up on the picture but John Bintnagel, acclaime Boringfoot expert that lives a few miles away from me. I see his name in the phone book, almost tempted to give him a call sometime.
No, wait until I can visit and let's just fuck with him. We'll leave tracks right outside his door. Ass prints on his car. A dancing Bigf**t on his security camera. Scat worth examining.

free thoughtpolice

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:I checked out Boringfoot on snopes and who shows up on the picture but John Bintnagel, acclaime Boringfoot expert that lives a few miles away from me. I see his name in the phone book, almost tempted to give him a call sometime.
No, wait until I can visit and let's just fuck with him. We'll leave tracks right outside his door. Ass prints on his car. A dancing Bigf**t on his security camera. Scat worth examining.
Done! :lol:
The locals appear to have been pranking him for sometime though just guessing by the sightings he has catalogued in this area so we might want to try something original in case he's getting more skeptical in his older years.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

deLurch wrote: CaptainFluffyBunny - This appears to essentially be Vicky's hobby. Exploring the Boringfoot myth. Testing the new proposals and debunking them. Technically Vicky is still open to the possibility of Boringfoot existing (as would we all if some significant level of evidence were finally presented).
No it is not my hobby, but I have several other hobbies which take me out in the woods -- For example, I usually shoot once a week and have shared responsibility for management of the woodland -- we have no wilderness in the UK, if you want to use land you have to work for it. As I am out in the woods and seeing the same stuff they are seeing, which they claim to be bigfoot evidence, it is really no trouble for me to take a few minutes to look into that which i happen to be standing right next to.

I generally don't make claims that would see me accepting the burden of proof, so I won't assert that there is no Bigfoot in the Americas -- I take the position that the evidence for the claim has left me unconvinced. But I am willing to assert there is no bigfoot in the UK because I know the history of it's woodland and how woodland has been decimated, re-planted, farmed and managed. In fact, one of the other things I do while in the woods is keep my eye out for historical evidence of woodland farming or game management. And as I am never too far away from medieval berms, pre-roman burial grounds or wartime air-crash sites, it pays to be inquisitive about everything.

Another fact is that I have kids, the youngest of which is very interested in folklore and monster stories, this is why i decided to revisit the subject. While you can be gung-ho about skepticism, I have to approach it in a more rigorous and honest way, which sometimes means admitting that "I don't know". I will not miss-apply occam's razor to wiggle out of difficult questions. Not knowing the answer to something, or not being able to explain it, is not the same as accepting it as proof of fairytales. I also have to accept that some of the evidence which is claimed to be debunked, isn't in the least bit debunked.

There are questions which I find quite interesting such as why trees should be caught on film suddenly falling over. I suspect that rain on the leaves making them a lot heavier coupled with waterlogged ground becoming less dense is a more reasonable explanation than bigfoot pushing them over in a fit or rage. I am confident that trees bent over into bows is caused by lack of sunlight and that sticks leaning up against trees has an answer in probability. I am still puzzled as to how trees end up up-side-down but there could be some mechanical explanations. The recent wave of migrant workers from Eastern Europe, who brought with them a culture of hunting and an explosion in deer poaching easily explains many of the strange stick structures found in our woods. I have already mentioned hag-ridden horses and witch-knots.

And of course I have been aggressive, some people here have been deliberately trolling me, either that or they are as thick as pig shit, you might think so as some are still challenging me to bring forth my best bigfoot evidence. And there is more, they would have you believe that tracking is some kind of arcane knowledge and they dun seen things you ain't gonna believe -- it's a manly skill you know? The reality is not quite like that. A half decent tracker can identify individual bears, they sure as hell aren't going to confuse a bear track with and oversized primate. On the other end of the scale, I have seen people look at rodent burrows and claim it is where a beasty dug it's toes in, but that is not the kind of thing that makes for a good plaster casting. It is far more likely that they are faked, but that explanation has problems too. I don't have any footprints to examine so it's not my problem, but I am not going to pretend that one unlikely explanation being better than another unlikely explanation is satisfying.

There are many other things that niggle me about the skeptic side of the argument, two have been brought up here.
It has been mentioned that Bob Heironimus faked the Patterson-Gimlin film. But he is just one of many people who claim to have been inside the suit or made the suit or somehow were involved in the con... most of which are trying to milk documentary filmmakers and journalists for everything they can get, none can come up with the goods or keep their stories straight. Meanwhile Bob Gimlin taking money for appearing at conferences is used against him. For some people that seems good enough to be used as some kind of argument.
The other thing that annoys me is projections about population numbers, feeding habits and "we should be seeing this", it is an barely science even when used on real animals. These are generally presented as bad arguments either because they are based on the habits of mountain gorillas or bears, or make other unfounded assumptions which are unreasonable. Whatever it is witnesses are describing, it's not anything like a mountain gorilla. You could start making predictions based on what this creature might be, but that isn't any more helpful. It is fine to speculate over a few beers but it is not an argument. It is worse if you then want to start moving the goalposts which is what generally happens. Apparently science is not allowed to investigate anyway, even Jane Goodall is not a "real" scientist ever since she outed herself.

I have been looking at both sides of the argument and picking holes in both. You don't have to worry, nothing new has come along to rock your world.... unless you count DNA evidence of an unknown species of polar bear in the Himalayas.

free thoughtpolice

Kind of topical as it shows some tracking techniques although in this case they are not following squatch. Just to point out that tracking in forest environment tends to look more for sign other than prints as the forest floor is normally not conducive to have prints form. Note the participants are looking for rubbings, scat and hair and are able to locate the subject in spite of no tracks per se.
[youtube][/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Vicky wrote:
The other thing that annoys me is projections about population numbers, feeding habits and "we should be seeing this", it is an barely science even when used on real animals. These are generally presented as bad arguments either because they are based on the habits of mountain gorillas or bears, or make other unfounded assumptions which are unreasonable.
If that is a reference to my earlier post that talks about minimum viable breeding numbers than I assume you are saying that the same principle that holds for all other mammals does not apply for squatch? Are they immune to the dangers of inbreeding and all other mammals are not?

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Vicky wrote:
The other thing that annoys me is projections about population numbers, feeding habits and "we should be seeing this", it is an barely science even when used on real animals. These are generally presented as bad arguments either because they are based on the habits of mountain gorillas or bears, or make other unfounded assumptions which are unreasonable.
If that is a reference to my earlier post that talks about minimum viable breeding numbers than I assume you are saying that the same principle that holds for all other mammals does not apply for squatch? Are they immune to the dangers of inbreeding and all other mammals are not?
No I am saying that doing those kinds of calculations on known animals requires data, and even if you have lots of data, it is more art than science. The MVP is actually quite a low number for most species, especially in the short term, with below viable populations theoretically being able to bump along for hundreds of years. (I think the MVP is estimated at about 3k for a booger). In this case we are talking about a whole continent, so you can have a total population which is much higher than the MVP but spread out too far apart to be viable, so you would need some degree of accuracy about distribution to be able to tell anything useful. You also need to have an estimate as to how easy the species are to spot for the usual population guestimates. For example, saying that for every Grizzly bear spotted in a given area in a given timeframe, there are X number of Grizzly bears... this is pretty much guesswork and would be a completely different ratio for a badger, wolverine, eagle or mountain lion.
And what data do we have on boogers? Some Indian tribes believe the booger population crashed around the same time their population crashed with TB and smallpox epidemics, and there are numerous reported sightings and tracks of boogers with deformities or appearing to be retarded.... in this kind of methodology, reported sightings is the data you feed in with any kind of animal, so pay your money and take your choice. Guesswork on guesswork on data you don't believe in the first place.

But lets assume there is above a minimal viable population, and assume it is into the thousands, such a large animal would have to have some kind of environmental impact, we should expect to see..... what? What can we expect to see when we can only speculate about the nature of the beast.
It is widely assumed to be nocturnal and live in small family groups or troops, but this is speculation. We would have no idea if they would be habitual, nomadic, ranging or migratory. We have no idea if they have different behaviours in different regions or different seasons or if like orangutans are hypothesized in having done, recently changed their behaviours due to environmental pressures from humans.
We can reasonably assume that they follow larger prey such as deer and elk (unless they are in coastal regions eating shellfish), we can expect prey remains and we can expect scat.
It is claimed we have the remains of deer and we have scat. Nobody seems willing to look seriously at them apparently. Getting DNA from scat is not as easy as you think, and it needs to be fairly fresh. As for the animal carcuses, it could have been anything despite the unusual nature of the kills. lets face it, only DNA is going to convince anyone. But the point is, if you argue "we should see scat and other evidence" they will say, "we do". It is a dead end.
Aside from that, it is argued that we should see bones or pelts. Why should we? These creatures are reported to be somewhat more like humans than other great apes, and we don't leave our dead lying around. They are also reported to be cannibalistic.

Should we expect to see something? Yes. But they would argue they do see it. It is not a good argument based on that. But we don't really know what we should be expecting to see anyway.

We do know that we don't really expect fossils. There is very little in the fossil record for the other great apes which we have confirmed do exist. Virtually nothing of gorillas or gigantopithecus, so we don't really know what they have got up to or where even though we know they had to exist.

Having said all that, I have earlier argued that for the bigfoot investigators to go out and study bigfoot as if it were real creatures is no bad thing. In this case, they can make the claims and we could test them (at least those of us who are willing). They can tell us what we should expect to see based on their 'notions' about its behaviour and characteristics. But for skeptics to tell them what we should expect to see, that is not an argument worth having.