Am I Out of Line, Regarding Justin Vacula ...

Double wank and shit chips
John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Am I Out of Line, Regarding Justin Vacula ...

Post by John Greg »

if, in regard to Justin's posts, I say:
Hi Justin. Really glad to have you on-board. I also really enjoy visiting your various Internet contributions from time to time. But, as a favour, do you think you could just sort of participate more as a commenter and throw in a little bit less of your self-marketing and Internet history? Maybe?
Is that out of line? Please be honest, and Justin, please, please do not take that as any kind of an insult.

GrafVonBek

Re: Am I Out of Line, Regarding Justin Vacula ...

Post by GrafVonBek »

Agree with this. Sorry justin but your intro post did come across as a bit "showbiz". Nothing wrong with shameless self-promotion (i've already kinda done it on another post), but the third person bio was a touch... I don't know... creepy?

Notung

Post by Notung »

We all express ourselves differently. I have absolutely no problem with Justin's bio.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Criticism taken. I posted a bio to start out here with more information about me and what I do. I will be, though, commenting more without references to my own stuff. I was posting quite often in ERV with a combination of frequent lurking.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Please don't take me wrong. I think you do important stuff, and I am glad to see it. I just don't want every post you make to include your life's work, if ya get ma drift, pardner?

:)
Last edited by John Greg on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Justin Vacula is taking his own approach against the nonsense, which we need. He also provides a voice against a common foe, and commands a crowd of his own, and may gain followers who may be afraid to "throw-in" with the "slimepit". I say Justin Vacula's doing a good job on his end, and doesn't need to change anything.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Props to Justin and John here for the way this is being discussed - thanks. Given that this is a new forum I can see why Justin is keen on letting people know about the valuable work he does, for those who aren't already be aware of it.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

I posted a comment on Justin's intro post to the effect: Hey, it's an intro post. If we had an Introductions forum, he would have posted it there and it would have been totally appropriate.

However, I'd also like to add that -- while I myself also have a kind of distaste for self-promotion, even if (actually, even *when*) I do it myself -- but from a long-term strategic point of view, I believe there are very good reasons why we as a whole should not only tolerate self-promotion, we should actually go out of our way to cheer on and promote those folks who could use a little extra promotion of their efforts. This is one of the reasons I started the Gnu Atheism discussion group on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/groups/gnuatheism/). <<< see what I did there? :-)

I really believe that *whatever* coalition of skeptical minds rises out of this current shit-flinging brouhaha that we find ourselves in the blogosphere, *that* coalition will be made up of people who have found a way to actively cooperate in significant ways with each other. That can mean letting people do a little self-promotion here and there within reason (a good way is to put an unobtrusive link to your 'home' site in your posting signature), or it can mean posting a little, "Hey congrats on that!" comment here and there (which takes little effort and actually has a significant mood-raising effect on the recipient if it is sincere and not just a formality or just a pointless 'me too' comment), or it can mean actively going out of our way to promote (e.g. link to, post a discussion about) efforts we really and sincerely value (e.g. I always repost anything by Justin Griffith regarding Rock Beyond Belief or any other major effort he gets involved in; I seriously want to promote that guy; and I know some of you feel burned by his recent actions, but let's leave that aside for this post).

I get the 'ugh not another spammer', 'ugh not another egocentric asshole self-promoter', etc. I despise that stuff too. But when I see Justin Vacula posting about his stuff (especially on an intro thread as it was), I may initially get that 'ugh' feeling, but I quickly think about what he's trying to do, and it morphs immediately into a "Right on, JV, you go guy!" Anyway that's how I see it. We are not *just* individuals, although we are that, too. We are also like-minded folks who want to make actual positive changes in this world -- at least, I am, and those are the kinds of folks I want to collaborate with. And the way groups of people are able to function more effectively than the same individuals working separately is for the group to harness the network effects of social groups, and to cooperate together to ensure those network effects are win-win positive, instead of lose-lose negative.

spectator

Post by spectator »

We are also like-minded folks who want to make actual positive changes in this world -- at least, I am, and those are the kinds of folks I want to collaborate with. And the way groups of people are able to function more effectively than the same individuals working separately is for the group to harness the network effects of social groups, and to cooperate together to ensure those network effects are win-win positive, instead of lose-lose negative.
How about lurking theists who have been abused, misrepresented, maligned,silenced, mocked, etc. by the horde for aaaaaalonnnngggg time?
I love lurking here and support the Slyme Pit's noble crusade.....I mean effort to fight the good fight...or, you know, ...sympathize with your plight.

You have my solemn promise that I will never attempt to convert or troll anyone. Well, maybe a mild trollollol here and there, perhaps.. :lol: But if someone is an atheist, I understand how a rational person could come to that position. 8-)

OTOH, the baboons are bat-$h!+ insane and it drives me up a wall! :x

How do I add an avatar to my bio? One of Franc's brilliant memes is saved on my hard drive. How do I use it here? :?:

Wait....let's see if this works...
big-brother-poster.jpg
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

spectator

Post by spectator »

YAY!!! :D
Now I want it as an avatar! :D

spectator

Post by spectator »

:lol: PeeZee looks so smug and the text works so well! Thx, Franc!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

spectator wrote:YAY!!! :D
Now I want it as an avatar! :D
Visit this page, and search for "Your Own Avatar" for instructions on how to upload an avatar.

BTW - I really like this one!

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

I figure Justin just asked himself: WWJTD?

The answer, of course, is shameless self-promo. Not that I've any problem with that.