Air Rifle accuracy

Double wank and shit chips
Nec_V20

Air Rifle accuracy

Post by Nec_V20 »

If want to do some bunny bashing or vermin control then an air rifle is a very cost effective method of doing so.

Air rifles have come a long way since the "BB Gun" era although they are still looked down upon by those who, "want a real gun". My thoughts on the matter are that you should get the right tool to do the job.

Unfortunately the marketdroids and salescritters have muddied the waters with regard to what one should look for with regard to an air rifle.

For instance an air rifle pushing out a pellet at a higher muzzle velocity has to be better, right?

Wrong.

There is one thing which has to be taken into account which is the region of velocity known as "Transonic". This transonic range goes from 880-1126 fps (actually it doesn't really settle down until around Mach 1.2 or 1.350 fps).

In the transonic region the centre of pressure of any object travelling through air shifts with its speed and causes it to become unstable in flight.

The moment a pellet leaves the muzzle it will start to decelerate and if it has been accelerated into the high transonic region this deceleration will adversely effect the accuracy of the pellet because of the changes in shifts of the centre of pressure during its flight.

"Flyers" become the norm rather than the exception and accuracy is lost.

The only real way to assure accuracy is if the pellet exits and hits its target when it is truly supersonic (more than Mach 1.2) or if the pellet exits in the subsonic (or low transonic) range.

It is noticeable in that after a certain range getting a good grouping becomes a rarity.

There are some ways to cure this. Aside from using a heavier pellet, if one has a gas-ram rifle like the HW90 then it is very easy to vary the pressure to the point where one is still getting good groupings at the range one wishes to shoot at even if the rifle is pellet fussy. With a spring powered air rifle then one would have to replace the spring or cut off some coils.

It is a bit more difficult with a PCP (Pre-charged pneumatic) which are generally highly overpowered. Some PCP allow you to regulate the power with others it is somewhat expensive to have them downgraded.

Sometimes with regard to velocity more is not better and as Scotty used to say to Kirk, "Ye canna change the laws of physics".

12 ft/lbs for a .177 and 15 ft/lbs for a .22 is enough power to take down something like a bunny or a squirrel at ranges up to 50 yards.

DW Adams

Re: Air Rifle accuracy

Post by DW Adams »

Ok

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

DW Adams wrote:Ok
As I have stated in another thread, I am autisitc (Asperger's) and I don't know how to understand your comment.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I was agreeing with you.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

DW Adams wrote:I was agreeing with you.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I was somewhat perplexed.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

If any of you are wondering "Why has Nec posted that".

The first reason is that this is the Science portion of this site.

The main reason however is that I watched a number of videos on YouTube some time ago, where people went to the effort of attaching a high speed camera to their scope on their air rifles to show how pellets would tend to become flyers beyond certain ranges and blamed it on the pellets.

However knowing the air rifle they were using and the weight of the pellet, what the narrator of the video considered to be "mysterious" was just the result of the pellet becoming effected by the physics of the properties of the speed of the pellet (being in the transonic region) moving through the air.

My hope is that the post will prevent someone spending lots of money trying to solve an accuracy problem which can be sorted cheaply and easily.

Guerilla surgeon

Post by Guerilla surgeon »

Best way to cure an air rifle is to us .22LR with hollow point subsonics. MUCH more humane.

Guerilla surgeon

Post by Guerilla surgeon »

Best way to cure an air rifle is to us .22LR with hollow point subsonics. MUCH more humane.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Per pound of weight:

133 rounds .22LR

or

1,900 rounds for an air rifle.

In terms of cost the difference is just as stark, you get over 500 rounds for the air rifle for the same price as 50 .22LR rounds.

If all you are intending to do is ratting or bunny bashing then a .22LR just doesn't seem to be to be the proper tool for the job.

Dead is dead.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

pew pew

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Za-zen wrote:pew pew
Thanks for reminding me.

Another reason for not "hunting" for vermin with a .22LR is because of ricochets - if you are doing ratting then it will be close to buildings (or even inside).

So that scores one more point for the air rifle.

Thanks Za-zen. :rimshot: