Silverman/American Atheists starting an Atheist Channel

Double wank and shit chips
deLurch

Silverman/American Atheists starting an Atheist Channel

Post by deLurch »

It appears that David Silverman is starting an atheist channel... I guess what? It is intended to be a counter to all of the Christian religious channels out there.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/0 ... 87922.html

I'll give props to Silverman (or his team) for thinking creatively. I think it is worth the experiment.
It will only be available on roku.

Given that it is free, his biggest challenge will be finding free/cheap content that anyone would really want to watch.

deLurch

Re: Silverman/American Atheists starting an Atheist Channel

Post by deLurch »

Vacula, if I were you, I would grab a better quality videocam, learn how to making a hobbiest lighting source and start doing your interviews for video and offer them to Silverman for free. You have been working hard as an activist, you just need to brush up your image a bit and go for a bit of quality.

Red Celt

Post by Red Celt »

My only thoughts about David Silverman being the head of American Atheists is... I'm very glad that I'm not American, so that I don't have that guy representing me. Any friend of PZ Myers is a dubious person, indeed.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Red Celt wrote:My only thoughts about David Silverman being the head of American Atheists is... I'm very glad that I'm not American, so that I don't have that guy representing me. Any friend of PZ Myers is a dubious person, indeed.
Silverman, with whatever other faults he may have, is trying to run an all inclusive organization for atheists in the US. He calls all atheists his allies. He tries to be gracious to everyone. And sometimes he fails big time. Being buds with pz myers isn't exactly what I would chalk up as being one of his big moral failings. pz gave his organization money, and he said thank you.

Red Celt

Post by Red Celt »

deLurch wrote:
Red Celt wrote:My only thoughts about David Silverman being the head of American Atheists is... I'm very glad that I'm not American, so that I don't have that guy representing me. Any friend of PZ Myers is a dubious person, indeed.
Silverman, with whatever other faults he may have, is trying to run an all inclusive organization for atheists in the US. He calls all atheists his allies. He tries to be gracious to everyone. And sometimes he fails big time. Being buds with pz myers isn't exactly what I would chalk up as being one of his big moral failings. pz gave his organization money, and he said thank you.
His allegiance to PZ Myers was much more than just a "thank you". He holds to the values that the FTB Crowd espouse on a regular basis. If that's something that you're happy with, then Silverman is an apt representative of yours. The Slyme Pit seems like a strange place for someone like that to hang out. But if that's what floats your boat...

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

My impression is that he holds to feminism 101. Which isn't necessarily bad. It is when people start doing somersaults of logic to justify any action or position they choose, is when it goes bad.

I may not respect every action or every choice Silverman makes. But I understand why he chooses they way he does. I don't think he is completely blind to the antics of the FTB crowd. He is just trying to keep the peace in his slice of the atheism sphere. And in that case, he attempts to take the easy way out.