83%
No
17%

Total votes: 130

jjbinx007

Poll: Are you a feminist?

Post by jjbinx007 »

Rebecca West is often quoted by Feminists as follows:

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people".

I thought I would make a poll to see if how many people on this forum are Feminists, even if they don't like the label (rather like someone who describes themselves as agnostic is probably an atheist, even if they don't like the term).

So, please complete the following poll honestly.

Re: Poll: Are you a feminist?

Post by Guest »

I didn't read the question, only the topic title, and voted no when I should've voted yes! >_< I don't like feminists, but I do believe in the not-so radical notion that women are people.

Post by Guest »

In fact, the idea that "women are people" is a radical notion is ridiculous. It's just common sense.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jjbinx007 wrote:Rebecca West is often quoted by Feminists as follows:

This Rebecca West?

Altair

Post by Altair »

I voted yes (of course), and I agree that that notion is nowhere near as radical as they think.
I like to answer that argument with @FurryGirl's quote:
furrygirl ‏@furrygirl

The feminist argument "if you support women's rights you're a feminist," is the same as "if you believe murder is wrong you're a Christian."

LMU

Post by LMU »

Altair wrote:I voted yes (of course), and I agree that that notion is nowhere near as radical as they think.
I like to answer that argument with @FurryGirl's quote:
furrygirl ‏@furrygirl

The feminist argument "if you support women's rights you're a feminist," is the same as "if you believe murder is wrong you're a Christian."
Pretty much! How about a similar poll but starting from something analogous to Christianity. Maybe: "Christianity is the radical notion that you should treat people the why you wish to be treated yourself."

LMU

Post by LMU »

*the way you wish to be treated yourself :oops:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Personally, I only see the 'women are people too' argument being useful when dealing with religious and pro-life fundamentalists who vehemently deny that women are actually people. Cuz it says in their bible, or koran, that women are not sub-human and good for nothing but shitting out babies.

Otherwise, calling someone a cunt or a bitch is by no means saying they 'are not people' - its simply pointing out someone who's shitty.

rattlehed

Post by rattlehed »

ahh, didnt read

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

well until i have evidence to the contrary i still believe in women's humanity...
call me weird ^^

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

As expected, it is almost unanimous that we slymepitters think women are people. The few dissenters, I presume, are oolon types trying to tip the result in a malicious way. Certainly I've never seen anyone here argue that women are not people.
It is even more significant when you realize that the poll is titled "are you a feminist?" - which might have a few mra supporters biting their tongues a little. I would have advised leaving the 'feminist' word out of the poll and only mention it at the conclusion, when the results are in.

Still, even in these circumstances it is clear that the line, "feminism is the radical notion that women are people", is useless as a definition of feminism. By this measure the Slymepit IS a feminist site, just as much as FTB.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Dick Strawkins wrote:As expected, it is almost unanimous that we slymepitters think women are people. The few dissenters, I presume, are oolon types trying to tip the result in a malicious way. Certainly I've never seen anyone here argue that women are not people.
It is even more significant when you realize that the poll is titled "are you a feminist?" - which might have a few mra supporters biting their tongues a little. I would have advised leaving the 'feminist' word out of the poll and only mention it at the conclusion, when the results are in.

Still, even in these circumstances it is clear that the line, "feminism is the radical notion that women are people", is useless as a definition of feminism. By this measure the Slymepit IS a feminist site, just as much as FTB.
Some of the comments seem to suggest that some of the "No" people thought they were answering the question "Are you a feminist?" rather than the poll's actual question. If I'm wrong and you voted "No" intentionally, then please correct me! (Or if you voted "Yes" you are a feminist, but would have voted "No" you don't believe women are people if only you'd read the question correctly. That would be an interesting position to take!)

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Flawed poll.

Yes, of cours we we think women are people. That's a stupid premise and devised by folks like Rebecca Watson, not West, to cause division, friction, and to skew the argument with a false premise.

I did not vote: flawed polls are pointless.

pandora

Post by pandora »

another lurker wrote:Personally, I only see the 'women are people too' argument being useful when dealing with religious and pro-life fundamentalists who vehemently deny that women are actually people. Cuz it says in their bible, or koran, that women are not sub-human and good for nothing but shitting out babies.

Otherwise, calling someone a cunt or a bitch is by no means saying they 'are not people' - its simply pointing out someone who's shitty.
I agree with this 100%.

Of course women are people. So are men, and children, and the elderly, and the homeless, and criminals, and everyone that was born homo sapiens. It's a fucking meaningless saying.
UNLESS you're talking about those religious and cultural groups who are so fucking backwards that they do deny the full personhood of women. That women are sub in every way to males. No-one in the pit are remotely like that. I would say very, very, very few in the western world are like that. They can kid themselves all they like over at free-from-thought that pitters are "fundamentalist" MRAs* or whatever they want to delude themselves about right now, but to do so is dishonesty.

*and I don't know much about the MRM but I best the vast majority of them think "women are people" too.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

pandora wrote:
*and I don't know much about the MRM but I best the vast majority of them think "women are people" too.
I have only seen one MRM who appeared to imply that women are not people but he was a christian fundie. He went on about how God says women are only here for babies, fucking, and cleaning house, and by God, he's gonna fight those uppity women who wanna do something different with their lives.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

I'm of course of the opinion that women are people and should share both equal rights and equal responsibility in society.

However, I avoided voting in the poll because the definition of feminism in the opening post is in my opinion not how I see modern feminism in action. Specifically I see too much of the types of feminism in which the advocates seem to operate in perpetual professional victimhood while pushing forward the ideas that men are rapists in waiting, powerless to stop their paleolithic urge to forcefully shove a dick into every woman they see, and that women are sad little creatures with no self-determined will of their own, programmed like androids to become subservient slaves of their patriarchal masters.

I think a little too highly of both men and women to take that line of thinking seriously, and unless the feminist movement can iron out their shit to where the definition provided in the opening post is accurate for feminism as a whole, which I don't see happening as it continues to fracture along sex-positive vs. sex-negative, equity vs man-hate, empowerment vs. advocating of profiting off victimhood, I won't view the label as one worth wearing.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

16bitheretic wrote:I'm of course of the opinion that women are people and should share both equal rights and equal responsibility in society.

However, I avoided voting in the poll because the definition of feminism in the opening post is in my opinion not how I see modern feminism in action.
That was the point of the poll. Most of us don't label ourselves as Feminists because we don't agree with much of the other shit that goes along with it. However, the FTB crowd are inherently dishonest when they frame the argument.

They'll say things like "Why aren't you a Feminist? Feminism is simply the radical notion that women are people. If you aren't a Feminist then you're a misogynistic asshole."

So, I thought I'd ask people the question "Do you believe that women are people?" and all those that answered yes must therefore be Feminists according to the FTB definition.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

I'm definitely a feminist. I'm sure as hell not letting some crazy person define it for me.

Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

I don't want no girl germs contaminating my Soilent! :x

windy

Post by windy »

Would it be possible to restrict voting in polls like this to registered users?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Very interesting.
The last five votes were all 'no' and came after the jerry conlon story attracted a load of guests over from ftb. I'm guessing it was an attempted pharyngulation.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

windy wrote:Would it be possible to restrict voting in polls like this to registered users?
Yes. Will do so now.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
windy wrote:Would it be possible to restrict voting in polls like this to registered users?
Yes. Will do so now.
Done.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Very interesting.
The last five votes were all 'no' and came after the jerry conlon story attracted a load of guests over from ftb. I'm guessing it was an attempted pharyngulation.
Bless, five votes. They're losing their touch. Tee hee.

deanesmay

Post by deanesmay »

Ack, I just accidentally voted the wrong way too. Blargh. My answer is yes women are people! Sorry!

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Do you believe that women are people?

What kind of bollock stupid question is that? It shows, I think, just how far the discussion has been usurped and corrupted by some.

Of course this question could only have been posed by an American and it is bang out of order.

Dogs are not people, cats are not people, chimpanzees are not people - get my drift? The term "People" defines a group of male and female human beings - end of story.

I am not even accepting the premise of the question.

Post by Guest »

Please do not fail to recognize the male individuals right to accept that women are people, and as people are to be regarded the full measure of respect that the opposite sex engenders. As people.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

blerf... topic poll title and actual poll title = opposite of each other. I answered according to the topic title.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

jjbinx007 wrote:Rebecca West is often quoted by Feminists as follows:

That's just a "dictionary feminist". ;)

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Ach, I know I said before, age ago, but polls like this still bug me. False premise; false dichotomy.

Bah; curmudge, curmudge.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I mean, yes women are people (duh!); no I'm not a feminist.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

EdwardGemmer wrote:I'm definitely a feminist. I'm sure as hell not letting some crazy person define it for me.

:mrgreen:

Endo

Post by Endo »

Nec_V20 wrote:Do you believe that women are people?

What kind of bollock stupid question is that? It shows, I think, just how far the discussion has been usurped and corrupted by some.

Of course this question could only have been posed by an American and it is bang out of order.

Dogs are not people, cats are not people, chimpanzees are not people - get my drift? The term "People" defines a group of male and female human beings - end of story.

I am not even accepting the premise of the question.
~
My view as well. I reject the assertion in the question that that's what feminism is. It's begging the question (see the fantastic 'Thou Shalt Not Commit Logical Fallacies) it's circular logic, a question that answers itself; well, of course everyone agrees that women are people, ergo, everyone is feminist. it's completely preposterous.

Creativity73

Post by Creativity73 »

Of course I believe women are people but I would not call myself a "feminist". Men and children are people but I am not manist or childist. I quite like "equal opportunity-ist" but there's no point in adopting that as a label as I am not inclined to be an activist about it.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Are women people too?
This question is rhetorical and completely retarded. It makes me hate people in general. Can we please go back to the days where people can be committed into asylums based on accusations?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

yomomma wrote:
Are women people too?
This question is rhetorical and completely retarded. It makes me hate people in general. Can we please go back to the days where people can be committed into asylums based on accusations?
yomomma is a witch. Burn her.

yogeshevo

Post by yogeshevo »

Yeah Trump win....