Recovering from wounded pride and feelings of helplessness

A place to discuss the foibles of our favourite bloggers
jimhabegger

Recovering from wounded pride and feelings of helplessness

Post by jimhabegger »

Part of what I see here is some people responding to wounded pride, and feelings of helplessness, by wallowing in self-pity, muckraking and finger-pointing. I would just like to suggest, for whatever it might be worth to anyone here, that apart from some momentary gratification that has to be continually renewed, this response is not likely to help anyone recover from those feelings, and in fact is very unhealthy. It might be more rewarding in the long run to do some research on how to recover from wounded pride and feelings of helplessness.

Metalogic42

Re: Recovering from wounded pride and feelings of helplessne

Post by Metalogic42 »

jimhabegger wrote:Part of what I see here is some people responding to wounded pride, and feelings of helplessness, by wallowing in self-pity, muckraking and finger-pointing. I would just like to suggest, for whatever it might be worth to anyone here, that apart from some momentary gratification that has to be continually renewed, this response is not likely to help anyone recover from those feelings, and in fact is very unhealthy. It might be more rewarding in the long run to do some research on how to recover from wounded pride and feelings of helplessness.
[youtube]IUttbZcv7WI[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hey, thanks! I had a session with my therapist scheduled for Tuesday, but now I can go to the ballgame instead!

jimhabegger

Post by jimhabegger »

Metalogic, that was the most fun I've ever had, being told I was wrong! Thanks!

Matt, glad I could help! My door is always open.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

jimhabegger wrote:Part of what I see here is some people responding to wounded pride, and feelings of helplessness, by wallowing in self-pity, muckraking and finger-pointing.
Sorry, you're apparently looking for one of the Freethought Blogs. You accidentally landed in the Slyme pit instead. Not that common a mistake.

If you plan to try to interpret what you see here, first take off your filters and make sure you're not projecting. Ask specific people, based on specific posts, what they're feeling or why they're doing what they're doing or what they see as the problems/issues as being.

And to be fair, make sure you ask over at FtB too, about their wounded pride, helplessness, self-pity, and finger-pointing. ;)

(Side question: what's wrong with [url-http://www.thefreedictionary.com/muckraking]muckraking?[/url])

Jim Habegger

Post by Jim Habegger »

Skep tickle, I've already looked deeper, and seen other possible reasons for what people are doing in that thread. One of the participants has described it as a camaraderie around ridiculing and taunting some people. It does look like that to me, which makes it even worse in my view than what I originally imagined, and part of the very definition of bullying behavior.

I see the finger pointing over at FtB, but I'm hypothesizing other reasons for it, political and economical for example, rather than wounded pride, helplessness and self-pity.

I do see muckraking as wrong, but I won't try to argue that here. The emphasis in what I said was on "wallowing," and I'm retreating from that now anyway. It might apply to some people here, but now it looks more to me like a mocking and gossiping party just for the fun of it.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

There is no one reason people post there. Each poster is only responsible for his/her own posts. You can like what's there or not, or find it a mixed bag; it is what it is.

Main theme is that it's almost completely unmoderated and people generally congregate there if they find the tactics at FtB/etc reprehensible, including the political and economic aspects ("you're with us or against us", stoking drama to increase traffic, censorship of comments, vilifying those who speak up to disagree with them or point to their tactics, and so on).

You can certainly post your observations in the main thread (currently "Jim the Pleb...") but be prepared for some feedback about passing judgment.

On the other hand, you won't be banned. Your posts won't go into moderation. They won't be edited to make you look foolish. And the information you used to post (email, IP address) won't be revealed. Which is more than can be said for FtB.

KSPDahyi

ezABmKVoepo

Post by KSPDahyi »