Dan Finke Describes Slyme People

A place to discuss the foibles of our favourite bloggers
John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dan Finke Describes Slyme People

Post by John Greg »

On a series of comments that culminate in my answering the question as to who was banned from where before even posting a comment, Dan Finke says:
They were justified in doing so. You guys are declared enemies who make a standard practice of treating them with as much abuse as you can. They have no need to assume that you come to their blogs in good faith and not to troll.
So much for intellectual integrity.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/camelswithh ... ent-367480

Badger3k

Re: Dan Finke Describes Slyme People

Post by Badger3k »

John Greg wrote:On a series of comments that culminate in my answering the question as to who was banned from where before even posting a comment, Dan Finke says:
They were justified in doing so. You guys are declared enemies who make a standard practice of treating them with as much abuse as you can. They have no need to assume that you come to their blogs in good faith and not to troll.

Well, I guess I am still glad I dumped him off Facebook. I disagree with him on a lot of things, but still wish him luck on his attempt at making an upper-crust, rarified atmosphere tea party (in the Victorian sense), as opposed to the pub atmosphere here. I wonder if this is part of philosophy or the people attracted to it. Look at Orwellia. Look at Michael Ruse. Jean Kazez also speaks about tone and civility, enforcing the more well-off standards (in Western/American culture) as opposed to the working stiff attitudes that other places have. We all have different standards. I don't plan on commenting on his blog, and if he dared to get his feet dirty he could come here, but I have a feeling he would be so offended that he wouldn't.

Meh. Different strokes.

I just had an odd comparison. The "more proper" people like Daniel are more like Roger Moore, while the people here are more like Sean Connery or Daniel Craig. I think a lot of us can dress up and fit in, but prefer the more rough and tumble of life. I know I can - I even drink my beer with my pinky extended - real class. :lol:

pre-post ETA - since this had trouble posting, I just thought to add this - I am not sure he was describing everyone here, or just the few you mentioned - such as you and Franc. I could read it either way, so I can't say if he's prejudging everyone, or just you.

MrYellovich

Post by MrYellovich »

John Greg wrote:On a series of comments that culminate in my answering the question as to who was banned from where before even posting a comment, Dan Finke says:

I have a friend who's brother hates Rudy Giuliani, the former mayor of New York City. That hatred ran so deep my friend said, "If Giuliani carried my niece out of a burning building, my brother would complain bitterly that Rudy had done it wrong, unnecessarily endangering her. Then, he would yell at his daughter for disloyalty in allowing herself to be saved by Giuliani."

I dislike the idea I must be vetted before my argument can be considered. Especially in the skeptic/atheist community.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

I had to go back and reread his comments, and I have to admit I saw a few things I didn't before. Other than his implied superiority (and it really sounds like he wants his blog full of snobs - that's an apt comparison to the tone I pick up), but it rereads like he wasn't just talking about the banning. It sounds like he was saying the censorship - deletions/etc - was justified. Maybe I'm wrong, but if that is so, what kind of philosophy is he following?

Candy

Post by Candy »

I've been friends with Dan on FB almost since I first joined in 2009. After a while, I hid his comments because he was starting to annoy me. It's hard to put my finger on exactly why; suffice it to say that his posts were beginning to set my teeth on edge. Although I admire his attempt to require civil discourse on his blog, this prejudice against a group of people he doesn't even read or know anything about has infuriated me to the point where I have now unfriended him.