More Ophelia Fun

A place to discuss the foibles of our favourite bloggers
John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

More Ophelia Fun

Post by John Greg »

So, Ophelia says:
I really don’t want to divide people into insiders and outsiders here. That’s junior high school stuff, you can’t sit at our lunch table stuff. I want new people – aka “outsiders” – to read and enjoy and join the discussion.
Which is, of course, why she does not edit, delete, or ban anyone with whom she disagrees because banning would discourage newcomers and people with different fresh ideas, right? Right. I guess, seeing as what a strong supporter of free thought and the expression of differing points of view she is, it hurts Ophelia more than it does anyone else when she is forced strongly against her will to edit, delete, and ban. Oh, the pain of it all.
Now…some of that insider v outsider happens anyway, or as it were “naturally” – i.e. without anyone spelling out that that’s what we’re doing. But if that is what we’re doing…well we shouldn’t be.
And, of course, Ophelia never, ever allows her favoured commenters to pile on and group-bully any of those welcome outsiders, right? Right. Free from thought in action. Or should that be free thought inaction?
But I don’t want us pouncing on anyone who’s new here as if this were a club with a secret code ...that’s just a barrier to new people. Plus…well, it ain’t nice.
And, of course, if Ohelia is anything, it's nice, right? Right.
On the other hand the goons themselves help to elicit it, by being so goonish, by trolling, by being so selective in whom they scold – so that’s part of why we get so defensive. But let’s not. Let’s try to assume people have good intentions unless they make it obvious that they don’t.
Same as it ever was. Butterlies and Chinese Whispers. She is so completely full of shit. Ophelia, shit-for-brains, we're scolding the whole lot of you. How selective is that?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... bers-cave/

SteveW68

Re: More Ophelia Fun

Post by SteveW68 »

Maybe the email I sent her (documented here: http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Ophel ... pen_Letter. ) had something to do with it...?

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

The period at the end of the URL is required...

This should work

IZI

Post by IZI »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-229458
Disagreement is not tolerated here very well.

When Ophelia said that DJ Grothe “praised” Benjamin Radford’s blog post, I commented that all Grothe did was to click on the “share” link. Calling that “praise” is spin. He added no commentary. The Twitter post consisted of just the title and the link.

My comment was deleted. The name I used was blocked. That is not an honest way to run a blog.
Response:
Trolling is not an honest way to comment on blogs. When there is heavy (relentless non-stop organized) trolling, sometimes non-trolls get lumped in with trolls. That’s especially true with a first comment, as yours must have been (because this one is). That’s also especially true when the comment is just a random “name” so that there is no context or history to check. Commenting that way isn’t 100% honest either. So taking it all together – a random name commenting for the first time in the midst of a blizzard of trolling – I don’t think it was very dishonest of me to have extra filters in place.

Saint N.

Post by Saint N. »

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds to me as if Ophelia & Co. are seeing a decrease in ranks and this is her halfhearted attempt to reach out to "new" readers and show how their not so bad over there.
Ophelia wrote:On the other hand the goons themselves help to elicit it, by being so goonish, by trolling, by being so selective in whom they scold – so that’s part of why we get so defensive. But let’s not. Let’s try to assume people have good intentions unless they make it obvious that they don’t.
"Trolls" are to FTBers, what "Communists" were to Joseph McCarthy; just a talking point to advance their own bullshit without scrutiny. If she's sincere in her statement about not getting defensive, why has she yet to show any trace of it when it comes to how she treats any and every commenter who challenges her opinions?

Philip1978

Post by Philip1978 »

That is the funniest and most hypocritical statement I've heard from Ophelia!

Anyone with a different point of view from her and her sheep gets told to go or they will be banned.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt :D

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Philip1978 wrote: Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt :D
Would that be the 'Not A skepchick' one? :lol:

bannedatheist

Post by bannedatheist »

Yah, I saw that and posted a reply about hit-and-run posters... which she also complained about in-thread. I admit I do that, but I also post in a lot of places and don't have time to go back to follow each thread on each comment section of each article I read.

She's complaining about trolls and hit-and-runners. That leaves who, exactly? People with nothing better to do than hang on each other's every word all day, apparently.

The rampant banning of atheists is getting atrocious. I didn't know the slymepit.com was here until recently, so I had the same idea and started Banned Atheist's Network. http://bannedatheists.us

Looking for bloggers if anyone's interested. Same network type that FtB runs on -- except I'm a pro web designer who happens to be atheist not a pro atheist who happens to be a web designer, like Ed.