Justin Vacula here!

More fun than a liquid sodium enema
justinvacula

Justin Vacula here!

Post by justinvacula »

I became both a SlimePit lurker and poster following my Twitter exchange with Rebecca Watson (http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/06/my- ... becca.html) which lead me to being blocked my Watson and some really odd comments from her.

My post was picked up by ERV - a blog I was not previously aware of. Following all of the nonsense surrounding character attacks on D.J. Grothe and the related discussion, I could remain silent no longer. I objected to 'Lousy Canuck' calling D.J. Grothe a 'douchebag' and had a long discussion with him, Stephanie Zvan, and other blog commenters. I became 'Witch of the Week' following a new blog post in which 'Lousy Canuck' labeled me a 'Vacuous Shitbag Troll' and banned me from posting on his site. I was then banned from Stephanie Zvan's blog following my objection to a post in which I said that people don't have the time to read everything, don't want to hop in, etc. I then 'went at it' with Surly Amy on Twitter following her rebuke of Sharon Hill for following @AngrySkepchick. My most recent contribution to the related discussion was organizing a live podcast (which is now archived and available for streaming) titled "Women and the Secular Community" (http://www.justinvacula.com/2012/07/wom ... ssion.html).

---

Apart from all of this, here's my current bio from my website:
http://www.justinvacula.com/p/about-me.html

Justin Vacula -- an outspoken atheist and community activist from Northeastern Pennsylvania -- is the co-organizer, spokesperson, and a board member of the NEPA Freethought Society - a social, educational, activist, and philosophical group of non-theists predicated on support and community. He publishes blog posts at justinvacula.com, is the host of the NEPA Freethought Society Podcast, and writes articles for Examiner.com.

Justin has appeared on various radio shows, local television networks, and podcasts; submitted articles as a guest poster for American Atheists' No God Blog; debated Rev. Marcelle Dotson of Field of Grace United Methodist Church in a formal "Does the Christian God Exist?" debate; and has spoken for secular groups including Pennsylvania Nonbelievers and the Humanist Association of Greater Philadelphia at various events.

Vacula is best-known for proposing what was dubbed -- by Friendly Atheist Hemant Mehta -- 'the most inoffensive atheist bus ad ever' (which was rejected by a county transit authority), enduring legal threats following his criticism of a chiropractor who blends theology with pseudoscience, and publicly challenging the constitutionality of a county courthouse's religious holiday display which earned him the moniker of "the third most hated person in Luzerne County" during an interview with a local radio show host. Justin was also featured in chapter two of the book "NEPAtized!" and accompanied the book's author -- Kenny Luck -- on a book signing tour.

Vacula graduated from King's College in Pennsylvania with bachelor's degrees in Philosophy and Psychology, a minor in Professional Writing, and was the recipient of the W.A. Kilburn Memorial Award for Philosophy. He is currently enrolled in Marywood University's graduate-level Mental Health Counseling program.

...and my public activism
http://www.justinvacula.com/p/public-activism.html

...upcoming and past events (I'm a panelist at the upcoming SSA convention and will be speaking to a Philosophy course "Atheism and New Atheism" at an evangelical Catholic college later in July.)
http://www.justinvacula.com/p/my-appear ... views.html

0verlord

Re: Justin Vacula here!

Post by 0verlord »

Agreed on the self promotion criticism. Just stick to the facts. We can happily read your bio and about your activism at your site. Cheerio, nice to have you here.

Wonderist

Re: Justin Vacula here!

Post by Wonderist »

Disagree on criticism of self-promotion here. I have suggested in another thread that there should be a separate Introductions forum. Currently, the only sensible place to post an intro post is this 'Admin and Board Structure' sub-forum. There is also a 'Personal Details' thread, but that doesn't allow for more detailed intros as is typical of these kinds of forums. If we had an Introductions forum, Justin's post would have fit perfectly there. I also made a kind of 'self-promoting' intro post here because there is no Introductions forum for me to put it into. It's not about self-promotion, it's about letting other people know who we are, and to put forth our stance on various issues, and perhaps spark up a conversation about that stuff. Typically a person makes one intro post, maybe comments in the thread a bit, and then moves on. There's no harm in it, we just don't have the appropriate forum for it yet.