54%
Ditch
46%

Total votes: 50

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Keep or ditch the anonymizer?

Post by Lsuoma »

I reserve the right to ignore this poll, or reverse any changes at any time in the future.

Pro: stops target sites taking action on the referrer header.
Con: strips out the "jump to specific comment" function from FfTB target URLs.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Keep or ditch the anonymizer?

Post by Lsuoma »

BTW, I voted for "keep," FWIW...

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Lsuoma wrote:I reserve the right to ignore this poll, or reverse any changes at any time in the future.

Pro: stops target sites taking action on the referrer header.
Con: strips out the "jump to specific comment" function from FfTB target URLs.
I went for keep, because losing the ability to link to other sites (especially when 'blocking' sites would be the ones we'd most want to link to) would be much more of an inconvenience than not being able to link - directly - to specific comments.

LMU

Post by LMU »

I forget: were they actually blocking us when we put up the anonymizer or were we just concerned that they might? If they hadn't actually done it then I say take it down for a week and see what happens. But if they had already started blocking links from here, then there's no reason to think they've stopped, and we should keep it.

astrokid.nj

ditch the anonymizer

Post by astrokid.nj »

Can you document the instances where they actually blocked us? It must be miniscule...
we largely point to FfTB blogposts, and they know this and yet they havent blocked us or anything. Even if they block this site, we could take snapshots of the relevant blogposts/comments and put it up here for eternity.. which is what we are largely doing now.
The flip side of this auto-anonymizing is that we often point to good stuff (say GWW, shepsheik, Al Stef) and its only fair that they know where we are coming from, and they can even join the forum and contribute.
If there is a genuine reason to anonymize, we should expect the individuals who post to bear the responsibility.. its part of their growing up.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

How about get rid of it, but if ftbers start redirecting (which they never did on the older slimepits, but could at any time), then we can just ask everyone to copy and paste just the redirecting ones. Pasting an url into a new tab loses the "coming from Slimepit" part.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

No, they never were blocking. It has only ever been a cautionary measure.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Scented Nectar wrote:How about get rid of it, but if ftbers start redirecting (which they never did on the older slimepits, but could at any time), then we can just ask everyone to copy and paste just the redirecting ones. Pasting an url into a new tab loses the "coming from Slimepit" part.
Hm. Ok. So, this and Lsuoma's last comment have convinced me to go with Ditch.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Ditch as well.

BaconNutellaFiend

Post by BaconNutellaFiend »

I voted keep. Where we come from browsing websites is our own business, not some hypothetical paranoid sysadmin's.

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

I voted ditch, because if they block based on referer then we just need to copy/paste the link into a new tab anyway and the request will not have a referer set. At the moment we have to copy/paste in advance if the URL specifies an anchor (which is a lot), and wait the extra 2 seconds for the redirect on all links; which is not to bad, but it would be nicer without them.

Johann the Cabbie

Re: ditch the anonymizer

Post by Johann the Cabbie »

astrokid.nj wrote:Can you document the instances where they actually blocked us? It must be miniscule...
we largely point to FfTB blogposts, and they know this and yet they havent blocked us or anything. Even if they block this site, we could take snapshots of the relevant blogposts/comments and put it up here for eternity.. which is what we are largely doing now.
The flip side of this auto-anonymizing is that we often point to good stuff (say GWW, shepsheik, Al Stef) and its only fair that they know where we are coming from, and they can even join the forum and contribute.If there is a genuine reason to anonymize, we should expect the individuals who post to bear the responsibility.. its part of their growing up.
The bolded part alone is the best reason to ditch

aweraw

Post by aweraw »

I expect that if they really wanted to block/ban/redirect people from here by referer they'd go the extra step of dropping in the anonymizer's domain too.

Darren

Post by Darren »

I voted to keep because Ophelia, in particular, seems obsessed with tracking how many hits she gets from the 'pit. Not knowing this must do her head in.

Struth

Post by Struth »

Oh, definitely keep

Anything that makes it a bit harder for them to stalk us.

You can set up exceptions for sites that are trusted. Instructions are on http://anonym.to for how to whitelist sites.

also, you may prefer to use http://killrefer.com

Struth

Post by Struth »

WHITELIST:

Code: Select all

twitter.com
elevatorgate.wordpress.com
skepticink.com
beliefblower.com
bbc.co.uk
telegraph.co.uk
guardian.co.uk
freethoughblahgs.com
YouTube.com

Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

If I'm logged in at another phpBB site, can they see where what link I followed to their site?

SteveW68

Post by SteveW68 »

Sheogorath wrote:If I'm logged in at another phpBB site, can they see where what link I followed to their site?
If you got there by using a link from the other (ie: it was posted in one, to the other) then yes - potentially - the owners / admins of that site will be able to see how you arrived at their page. This is what is known as a http referrer - which use of the anonymiser here prevents. (The "target" site seeing how you arrived there).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

So, the anonymizer was having problems (at least for me), so I've ditched it for now.

g2pis

Post by g2pis »

I want to say press release is the best medium for promoting a new business or any news or products launched by a company or firm.It is a great medium of getting the traffic on a website.If i forget some points about press release please share your views.